You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
Pitchguest

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Pitchguest »

free thoughtpolice wrote: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... isk-410796

At least Trump didn't get his hair done by a private stylist or eat super expensive ice cream.
But how much could Trump have done, realistically? We've seen with the riots in Portland, Seattle, Michigan, Wisconsin, that unless they accept help from the president, then there is nothing they can do. In New York, the mayor or the governor got flack for ... withholding respirators, or cheaping out on respirators, or whichever it was. Is that really Trump's fault? Then there was the pandemic plan that was completely ignored by several states, or mixed messages about the usefulness of a mask, the usefulness of a shutdown, and so on and so forth. Meanwhile, they all could've devised a plan, not just Trump, prior to the outbreak, because they saw the news just like we all did back in February when we saw what happened in China.

Already back then I was thinking we need to shut down the country, the airports, trains, and so on, but my country's government either did not care or they figured it would denote some sort of xenophobic view. And facing a deadly pandemic, we certainly can't have that.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Pitchguest wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm
free thoughtpolice wrote: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... isk-410796

At least Trump didn't get his hair done by a private stylist or eat super expensive ice cream.
But how much could Trump have done, realistically? We've seen with the riots in Portland, Seattle, Michigan, Wisconsin, that unless they accept help from the president, then there is nothing they can do. In New York, the mayor or the governor got flack for ... withholding respirators, or cheaping out on respirators, or whichever it was. Is that really Trump's fault? Then there was the pandemic plan that was completely ignored by several states, or mixed messages about the usefulness of a mask, the usefulness of a shutdown, and so on and so forth. Meanwhile, they all could've devised a plan, not just Trump, prior to the outbreak, because they saw the news just like we all did back in February when we saw what happened in China.

Already back then I was thinking we need to shut down the country, the airports, trains, and so on, but my country's government either did not care or they figured it would denote some sort of xenophobic view. And facing a deadly pandemic, we certainly can't have that.
Firstly he could have told everyone the truth of an imminent danger. The TSA folks and border agents folks that monitor people at airports and borders could have screened people for fevers and order them to quarantine as was done in other countries. These are federal people and trump could have given that order no matter what the governors thought.
Under a program instituted by Obama there was a pandemic plan and there were American scientists studying coronaviruses that was scrapped and defunded by Trump. If it had been continued very likely would have had samples of the virus and more early knowledge of what they were up against. Because people in the program were monitoring the Chinese virologists that first identified the virus the US would have had a chance of knowing everything the Chinese learned contemporaneously and again gotten an earlier look at the problem.
That is just a few of the things that should have been done.
Trump downplayed the problem and just hoped it would go away. He fucked up.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Looks like another powerful film offering from NZ.

And this one was a much underrated but quite excellent movie.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Trump downplayed the problem and just hoped it would go away. He fucked up.
He turned me into a newt!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Trump downplayed the problem and just hoped it would go away. He fucked up.
You've always been a newt.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm

But how much could Trump have done, realistically?...
Firstly he could have told everyone the truth of an imminent danger. The TSA folks and border agents folks that monitor people at airports and borders could have screened people for fevers and order them to quarantine as was done in other countries. These are federal people and trump could have given that order no matter what the governors thought.
Under a program instituted by Obama there was a pandemic plan and there were American scientists studying coronaviruses that was scrapped and defunded by Trump. If it had been continued very likely would have had samples of the virus and more early knowledge of what they were up against. Because people in the program were monitoring the Chinese virologists that first identified the virus the US would have had a chance of knowing everything the Chinese learned contemporaneously and again gotten an earlier look at the problem.
That is just a few of the things that should have been done.
Trump downplayed the problem and just hoped it would go away. He fucked up.
Oh, sweetie, no... you're all confused.

Obama's $200 Million PREDICT program was supposed to predict the next pandemic. They failed to predict this pandemic!
Should we just automatically give them another $200 Million & another 10 years, without considering their weak past performance?

As their funding & mandate ran out (on schedule) Trump ordered them to re-direct all their remaining funds and efforts to fighting THIS pandemic, rather than hunting for the next one. You can fault Trump for failing to plan ahead for the -next- pandemic... but you can't use Trump over-riding PREDICT's mission-- in favor of fighting Covid-19-- to claim he wasn't responsive to Covid-19.

==

Woodward's recording of Trump discussing Covid-19 is dated February 7, 2020. Let's go back to February & remember what was really going on then...

A 'National Public Radio News Round Up" for Feb 7 says...

Trump was acquitted of impeachment charges

Trump confirmed the US had killed Al Queda leader Qassim al-Rimi

A New York Times investigation found the Iowa Democratic Caucus was found to be 'riddled with inconsistencies and other flaws' [voting app, questionable tabulation]

Trump spoke to "Chinese president Xi Jinping about the coronavirus epidemic. Officials say more than 600 people have died from the disease in China"

Two days earlier-- in his State of the Union address, Trump said:

"Protecting Americans’ health also means fighting infectious diseases. We are coordinating with the Chinese government and working closely together on the coronavirus outbreak in China. My administration will take all necessary steps to safeguard our citizens from this threat"

Nancy Pelosi tore that speech into pieces, live on camera.

By the end of February-- the Coronavirus death count in the US had climbed to: one. The CDC's count of cases in the US-- of people who had Not travelled overseas or been known to have direct contact with an infected person was: one.

Trump was widely-reported to be 'furious' that 14 exposed cruise ship passengers had been flown back to the US in a plane full of healthy people.

The last week in Feb, the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged over 1000 points (3.6%) in a single day. The following day Trump urged calm, appearing with Pence in a lengthy press conference concerning the virus:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st ... ference-2/

"

free thoughtpolice

Lsuoma wrote: Yeah, that was cute for two, maybe three songs. Now, meh...
I'll try to redeem myself. From Robert Fripp's channel with relaxing soundscapes;

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

This is the twat I actually meant to post:

Keating

Post by Keating »

What about half breeds? I've never been sure if I count as a POC or non-POC.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
You've always been a newt.
It's a fair cop.

free thoughtpolice

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote: What about half breeds? I've never been sure if I count as a POC or non-POC.

Me too. I'm half English, half Irish, and half Scottish.

Keating

Post by Keating »

You are 1.5 people, yes.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote: You are 1.5 people, yes.
Yes. My inner voice is only half the man that I am.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

You're still more of a man than Two and a Half Men.

In fact, you're one man more, if my math is correct.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Wait, reverse that. Sorry, I've been drinking. 2020 is starting to get to me.

Keating

Post by Keating »

How much of a man does Charlie Sheen count for? He has Tiger blood. Kiwis, on the other hand, are small, green on the inside and covered in fur.

Really?

Post by Really? »

The Democrats, as usual, are full of shit.

Here's NYC mayor Bill De Blasio on March 2, urging New Yorkers to catch the coof:
De Blasio even broke his own rules to go to the gym on March 15:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/p ... xercise-to

Here's Pelosi encouraging San Franciscans to run out and catch the coof in Chinatown on February 24.

Just like De Blasio, Pelosi wants you to follow the rules she establishes while she does whatever the fuck she wants.

Democrats have even less respect for your intelligence than Republicans do.

I know what you're thinking...once Biden is elected, everything will be better.

Here's Biden on March 12 slamming Trump's "xenophobic" travel ban.

And can you believe how much he's changed in only five months? Holy shit. If he wins, his inauguration speech will be three minutes of stitched-together video.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

All this back and forth on who minimized the virus threat when. I think the real tragedy is that both parties are more concerned about keeping the stock market going up than they are about public health and safety.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Driftless wrote: All this back and forth on who minimized the virus threat when. I think the real tragedy is that both parties are more concerned about keeping the stock market going up than they are about public health and safety.
Everyone thought coronavirus was going to disappear during the summer. I thought the same thing. Trump was betting on it. Shit got real when midway through summer the virus was stronger then ever. My next crystal ball prediction is that first round of vaccines will reduce prevalence but further mutation, etc. seem to point to an unwelcome new pox on humanity. Get used to facemasks and hand washing. We may be entering a new era. Things will change more than they have already. We'll shift to even more of an information economy than before. Business, meetings, government, healthcare will mostly be conducted via teleconference. Junk work will be eliminated. Government aid will increase. Who knows? Maybe even a permanent livable wage. The foundations of capitalism may be shaken by the smallest particles of creation "... slain, after all [commie's] devices had failed, by the humblest things that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this earth."

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Diana Rigg is brown bread...

:( :( :( :( :(

https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploads ... 1966-1.jpg

And at least she had the sense to mask up long ago:

https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploads ... 40x800.jpg

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Diana Rigg is brown bread...
Seriously, this place has more ninja than ten shitty martial arts movies.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

She was voted the sexiest woman on screen ever in a UK poll back in the 90s (?).

She certainly helped my libido become the burning, frothing, spurting mess it once was. So sexy in a million different ways. AND she drove a Lotus Elan.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Hunt wrote: Everyone thought coronavirus was going to disappear during the summer. I thought the same thing. Trump was betting on it. Shit got real when midway through summer the virus was stronger then ever.
I'm not saying the virus isn't real or isn't a problem. I'm also not saying there might not be a second wave when the next flu season comes around. I guess what I am saying is that the media is not presenting information in context. I suspect that's because fear sells. (And because the politicians they own enjoy having more power and tanking the economy to tank Trump.) If the Democrats' public statements matched their private thoughts about the virus, Biden wouldn't be violating social distancing during his rare events and Nancy wouldn't be getting her hair done without a mask. Portland mayor Ted Wheeler wouldn't join a sea of peaceful protesters with a piece of paper held loosely over his mouth and nose. (Later, of course, to take off the mask when the protests turned riot.) They certainly get more information than we do.

https://www.wweek.com/resizer/BFfR6GzwN ... 1007_2.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... l-labs.gif

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... weekly.gif

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... report.gif

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... visits.gif

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... index.html

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Erm...remember the Netflix movie Cuties?

Well, I think this pretty much seals the deal!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ehj93uVWAAA ... name=large

Nonce alert! Danger, danger - wrong 'uns!

John D

Post by John D »

Bhurzum wrote: Erm...remember the Netflix movie Cuties?

Well, I think this pretty much seals the deal!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ehj93uVWAAA ... name=large

Nonce alert! Danger, danger - wrong 'uns!
But what about the spanking????

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Sturgis spreads Covid/ BLM protests don't...

6min56sec "When a protest happened in a city, the residents of that city were more likely to stay home and be socially distanced. So even if the protesters themselves were spreading the virus to each other, the people who were not protesting were more likely to not spread the virus. And, in the end, these researchers found that it all balanced out."

Conclusion: the Sturgis motorcyclists should not have held their event in Sturgis, a small isolated place where the event was welcome & the locals were eager to participate in the fun. The bikers should have partied in a a crowded place-- where they were unwanted, terrorizing the as many locals as possible-- to not go outside. "Off-setting" the spread of Covid.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Service Dog wrote: Sturgis spreads Covid/ BLM protests don't...

6min56sec "When a protest happened in a city, the residents of that city were more likely to stay home and be socially distanced. So even if the protesters themselves were spreading the virus to each other, the people who were not protesting were more likely to not spread the virus. And, in the end, these researchers found that it all balanced out."

Conclusion: the Sturgis motorcyclists should not have held their event in Sturgis, a small isolated place where the event was welcome & the locals were eager to participate in the fun. The bikers should have partied in a a crowded place-- where they were unwanted, terrorizing the as many locals as possible-- to not go outside. "Off-setting" the spread of Covid.
That is some astounding logic:

"In order to curb the transmission of the disease, left-wing activists must continue terrifying people into staying inside all day long. This is the only way to protect our freedoms and to keep people alive."

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Watson gloats over the fact that the BLM protesters are young-- so they put others at risk, not themselves.
Versus the Sturgis bikers-- who skew toward the at-risk groups, and were gambling with Their Own health.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Hunt wrote:
Driftless wrote: All this back and forth on who minimized the virus threat when. I think the real tragedy is that both parties are more concerned about keeping the stock market going up than they are about public health and safety.
Everyone thought coronavirus was going to disappear during the summer. I thought the same thing. Trump was betting on it. Shit got real when midway through summer the virus was stronger then ever. My next crystal ball prediction is that first round of vaccines will reduce prevalence but further mutation, etc. seem to point to an unwelcome new pox on humanity. Get used to facemasks and hand washing. We may be entering a new era. Things will change more than they have already. We'll shift to even more of an information economy than before. Business, meetings, government, healthcare will mostly be conducted via teleconference. Junk work will be eliminated. Government aid will increase. Who knows? Maybe even a permanent livable wage. The foundations of capitalism may be shaken by the smallest particles of creation "... slain, after all [commie's] devices had failed, by the humblest things that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this earth."
It is a new virus so no one knows for sure what will happen. I have been surprised at the number of people who make unqualified statements about what the virus is, how dangerous it is, etc. More is learned as time goes on but there is no way to be certain of the outcome.

The long-term effects on someone who had the virus is also unknown. There are "long haulers" who have problems long after they have recovered. That concerns me because it means you don;t just have to fear death. You could also have long term brain/heart/kidney damage. As Bugs Bunny said about his brain "I need what little I've got".

free thoughtpolice

As to the claim that virologists didn't predict the current pandemic:
https://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R01-AI110964-06
Fauci also warned that a pandemic was inevitable a few years ago. After the SARS incident it was widely stated among the med research community that there would be a similar outbreak. Years ago there were people in the Chinese countryside that had been exposed to viruses similar to SARS and Covid.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: As to the claim that virologists didn't predict the current pandemic:
https://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R01-AI110964-06
Fauci also warned that a pandemic was inevitable a few years ago. After the SARS incident it was widely stated among the med research community that there would be a similar outbreak. Years ago there were people in the Chinese countryside that had been exposed to viruses similar to SARS and Covid.
Okaaaayyyy..... ???....

So you linked to Peter Daszak of the EcoHealth Alliance.

What do you think you've proved? You haven't provided a coherent story-- showing Trump doing some dumb anti-science thing.

Thru 2019 The Trump Administration and EcoHealth Alliance got along fine. According to the EHA website: " Our research was reviewed by independent scientists, considered extremely high priority by NIHNIAID Strategic Plan for COVID-19 Research, and funded in 2019."
(NIHNIAID is Dr. Fauci's organization)

Then came Covid-19 & the US Govt became concerned about EHA's collaboration with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, due to WIV's role in the origin (and cover-up) of Covid-19. Trump suspended any US funds which were shared with the Wuhan Institute. Which included funding for EcoHealth Alliance's collaboration with the Wuhan Institute.

This is how your guy Daszak described his response to the NIH defunding: " In the first email, "they said, 'Can you not send funds to the Wuhan Institute of Virology?' " he recalls. "We wrote back straight away and said, 'Of course we won't [fund them]. Absolutely.' "

However, Daszak sought to continue his organizations's collaboration with Wuhan Institute. Then State Dept cables from 2018 leaked to the Washington Post, showing safety concerns had been raised about Wuhan Institute's handling of viruses. Trump Admin & NIH went against EcoHealth's desire to continue to collaborate with Wuhan Institute, cut funding.

Initially, Daszak complained that further funding was needed to continue his EHA's fieldwork. But currently, his website says "our fieldwork is temporarily on pause due to the pandemic" and "we continue our fight against this and other emerging diseases, and look forward to continuing our international collaborations as soon as possible."

Trump's NIH has said they will reinstate funding for EHA's collaboration with Wuhan, when these conditions are met:
-The EcoHealth Alliance must provide a sample of the pandemic coronavirus that WIV used to determine its genetic sequence.

-The group must arrange for an outside inspection of WIV and its records “with specific attention to addressing the question of whether WIV staff had SARS-CoV-2 in their possession prior to December 2019,” Lauer wrote.

-The nonprofit must explain purported restrictions at WIV including “diminished cell-phone traffic in October 2019, and the evidence that there may have been roadblocks surrounding the facility from October 14-19, 2019.”

-The nonprofit must “provide the NIH with WIV’s responses to the 2018 Department of State cables regarding safety concerns.”

Let's go back to free_thoughtpolice's original claim:
Under a program instituted by Obama there was a pandemic plan and there were American scientists studying coronaviruses that was scrapped and defunded by Trump.

(((Service Dog: that much seems true, circa mid-2020. Buuuuttt...)))
If it had been continued very likely would have had samples of the virus and more early knowledge of what they were up against.
(((we would have had more samples of the virus, if funding hadn't been cut in mid-2020???)))
Because people in the program were monitoring the Chinese virologists that first identified the virus the US would have had a chance of knowing everything the Chinese learned contemporaneously and again gotten an earlier look at the problem.
(((only if EcoHealth has a time machine. Funding was only cut well-after Wuhan Institute's mishandling of the crisis.)))

free thoughtpolice

What do you think you've proved?
I proved that virologists did in fact prove that virologists predicted a coronavirus outbreak.

Trump gutted Obama's epidemic preparedness program in 2018 by significantly whittling the program down and sending the remainder to a different agency.
The Global Health Security and Biodefense unit — responsible for pandemic preparedness — was established in 2015 by Barack Obama’s National Security Advisor, Susan Rice ( here ). The unit resided under the National Security Council (NSC) — a forum of White House personnel that advises the president on national security and foreign policy matters.

In May 2018, the team was disbanded and its head Timothy Ziemer, top White House official in the NSC for leading U.S. response against a pandemic, left the Trump administration, the Washington Post reported ( here ). Some members of the global health and security team were merged into other units within the NSC, the article said.

The reorganization followed John Bolton’s appointment as national security advisor, and the departure of Tom Bossert, the homeland security advisor who the Post wrote “had called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics and biological attacks.”
This was the program that I had talked about in my first post. I brought up Eco Health to show that it was general knowledge in the epidemiology community that the likelihood of a coronavirus outbreak very likely to occur.

John D

Post by John D »

Soooooo.... many "facts" can exist simultaneously.

For example.... there could have been a bunch of super smart people who properly predicted the Corona... while there where many others who predicted incorrectly. In hind sight it is easy to know who is right... but at the time of the prediction it is impossible to know who was right.

Further... It is possible that Trump listened to people like Fauchi but was also listening to other people. In hind sight you can't tell who is right... and who is wrong.... but it is not so easy at the time.

And... It is possible that a brain dead old man like Biden could have managed the Corona better than Trump... but this would have probably happened only because he was lucky. Again... anyone can look back and arm chain quarterback this thing.

So finally... anyone who votes for Trump or Biden because of the Corona is a fucking retard.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: The Global Health Security and Biodefense unit .... This was the program that I had talked about in my first post.
Oh, really? That's what you were talking about? You should have said so.

You seem to suggest Timothy Ziemer was appointed by Obama, the head of a crew of scientists.

Timothy Ziemer is a born again Christian, raised in 'French Indochina' before the US entered the Vietnam war, where his family were among a group of missionaries killed and wounded by the Viet Cong during the Tet Offensive. He became a Navy helicopter pilot serving 550 missions in Vietnam-- then retired after a 30 year career-- to return to Christian missionary efforts against AIDS and Malaria. Dubya appointed him to run the US efforts against third world Malaria... and he remained in that role throughout Obama's terms.

It was Donald Trump-- who put Ziemer in charge of the NSC's Global Health Biodefense office, not Obama. When John Bolton took over as NSC head--
he instituted a streamlining of the NSC-- a move which had been recommended by the Obama Administration!

Ziemer's successor at the NSC wrote about the change in the Washington Post (which also issued Fact-Check article saying his claims were plausible):
[John Bolton] folded the global health directorate into a new one that focused on counterproliferation and biodefense. Ziemer departed for a high-level post in the U.S. Agency for International Development, though a former administration official said he was due to leave the NSC anyway. His staff, whom Ziemer had called “the dream team,” remained in place.
It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity). As The Post reported in 2015, from the Clinton administration to the Obama administration’s second term, the NSC’s staff “had quadrupled in size, to nearly 400 people.” That is why Trump began streamlining the NSC staff in 2017.

One such move at the NSC was to create the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled.
Each directorate is housed in its own “vault,” so to speak, so classified information can be left on a person’s desk overnight. “Having those people in the same vault means that they don’t have to walk out of the office, walk down the hall, knock on the door to have someone let them in,” another former administration official said, allowing for easier communication among staff members. A number of major projects that had been stalled in bureaucratic fights, such as a National Biodefense Strategy, finally were completed after the reorganization.
“During the summer of 2018, NSC merged three directorates into one to reduce the seam between those preparing for biological threats whether they are man-made or naturally occurring,” said NSC spokesman John Ullyot. “No director-level positions were eliminated during this process, and the organization retained its subject matter expertise under a different organizational structure.” He added that under Bolton’s replacement, Robert C. O’Brien, “no NSC biodefense director positions were eliminated under right-sizing.”

free thoughtpolice

Calling it streamlining or gutting depends on whether you are a Trump official or a critic I guess. Trump claims "thousands were doing nothing" when the original unit had 400 people. I doubt the people were "doing nothing" at the time too.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 064881002/

free thoughtpolice

The Post article is behind a paywall. I gather from the headline it is from a Trump official defending the "streamlining".
Most of the world was caught flat footed with Covid, however I think it is fair to say that the US was slow to react at the beginning in comparison to many other countries.
The Trump side says it made no difference , others are saying it did.

free thoughtpolice

In 2017, Ziemer joined President Donald Trump's National Security Council as Senior Director for Global Health Security and Biothreats.[8] His responsibilities in the role included preparedness against infectious diseases, including leading the response in case of a pandemic and strategies for defense against biological weapons.[9] On May 8, 2018, he unexpectedly left the post and his position was abolished by the newly appointed National Security Advisor John Bolton, in what Bolton described as part of a plan to streamline the National Security Council and merge duplicate offices.[10][11][12][13] As part of the restructuring,[13] the global health security directorate led by Ziemer was disbanded,[9] and folded into a new directorate focusing on counterproliferation and biodefense.[13] While several staffers of the former Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense remained at work in the new directorate or elsewhere in the NSC,[13] the effect of the change was that there was "no single official at the highest levels of the administration who focuses only on global health security."[9]

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Service Dog wrote: Obama's $200 Million PREDICT program was supposed to predict the next pandemic. They failed to predict this pandemic!
Should we just automatically give them another $200 Million & another 10 years, without considering their weak past performance?
I'm cheap and accurate. There will be another one. $100 million, please.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote: How much of a man does Charlie Sheen count for? He has Tiger blood. Kiwis, on the other hand, are small, green on the inside and covered in fur.
Yeah, and we come on pavlova.

:whistle:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

screwtape wrote:
Service Dog wrote: Obama's $200 Million PREDICT program was supposed to predict the next pandemic. They failed to predict this pandemic!
I'm cheap and accurate. There will be another one. $100 million, please.
Fuck it, I'll do it for $75 million, and put on confidence limits - 99.9% between 1 and 2,000 years from now.

Really?

Post by Really? »

To be fair, predicting an outbreak of a new coronavirus in rural China (next to a Level 4 biohazard lab) is like making the brave prediction that there will be an earthquake in California.

If only there were a movement dedicated to critical thinking and rolling their eyes and saying, "no shit, Sherlock" when people predict that the missing child might be found next to...water? Water. I'm seeing water. Oh, the body was found in Death Valley? Exactly. He was calling out for water. Oh, it's a girl? That's what I said. She's telling me she's transgender.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote: The Man Whose Face Doesn't Fit His Head
Wasn''t that an Alexandre Dumas novel?

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

Lsuoma wrote: She was voted the sexiest woman on screen ever in a UK poll back in the 90s (?).

She certainly helped my libido become the burning, frothing, spurting mess it once was. So sexy in a million different ways. AND she drove a Lotus Elan.
There are antibiotics.. (someone had to say it :bjarte: ).

Very sad, nonetheless.

Pseudomonas

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The Bear Fire has not advanced, mostly cuz everything that could burn, did. Entire towns were wiped out. At its peak, it was burning 20 acres a minute. Here's the footprint as of today:
North Complex.jpg
(623.32 KiB) Downloaded 1859 times
I'm located just off the middle bottom of the map. The winds spared me this time. But not a few people, and countless woodland creatures, were incinerated.

My GF's mandatory evac was lifted last nite. I advised her to carry her .357 on her way in, as there were reports of burglars in the area hitting evacuated homes.

Our posturing, dry drunk governor is using this tragedy to push his long-term, pipe dream climate change policies.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The Bear Fire has not advanced, mostly cuz everything that could burn, did. Entire towns were wiped out. At its peak, it was burning 20 acres a minute. Here's the footprint as of today:

North Complex.jpg

I'm located just off the middle bottom of the map. The winds spared me this time. But not a few people, and countless woodland creatures, were incinerated.

My GF's mandatory evac was lifted last nite. I advised her to carry her .357 on her way in, as there were reports of burglars in the area hitting evacuated homes.

Our posturing, dry drunk governor is using this tragedy to push his long-term, pipe dream climate change policies.
Was this one of the Antifa arsons, or natural causes, do you think?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: The Post article is behind a paywall.
https://archive.is/in6PP

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Man, they should offer former prisoners a discount off their next sentence, to fight this one.

free thoughtpolice

Service Dog wrote: Man, they should offer former prisoners a discount off their next sentence, to fight this one.
If I'm not mistaken, they have offered them good paying jobs and opportunity. I've done firefighting as part of general forestry work I was doing. Talk about dirty and dangerous work. They should be paid well if they stick to it. A possible passport out of life long loserism.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Service Dog wrote: Man, they should offer former prisoners a discount off their next sentence, to fight this one.
Our next president kept inmates past their release dates to fight fires for the state for free.

She was just following in her slaveowner ancestors' footsteps.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote: Was this one of the Antifa arsons, or natural causes, do you think?
It was Bugaloos posing as antifa posing as lightning strikes.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Hunt wrote: The Man Whose Face Doesn't Fit His Head
Wasn''t that an Alexandre Dumas novel?
With Leo Dicaprio, yes.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

So many cunts around. An ACLU lawyer is stirring up trouble for Nicholas Sandman. Note the typical lack of self-awareness of the Transylvania lecturer. The public conversation has become so corrupted that whether or not Sandman is smug is a legitimate determinant of his future prospects.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

It's funny how emergency and existential crisis give the lie to most concrete idealistic positions. The fact that pandemics seem to spring primarily from one part of the world will call for the culturally insensitive shutting down of traditional wet markets in that are. PZ would apply a hot poker to feet if ultimately that meant revealing the location of a hidden nuclear bomb in Morris. The most ardent libertarian would give the UN authority over any sovereign if it meant his family didn't die from Ebola. Free marketers will laud universal minimum income it it means keeping the violent masses at bay. The future is going to step on a lot of toes.

Ideals are based in the "perfect world", not the real one. I'm not saying they're not important. Most of our lives are spent in a kind of fantasy.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Hunt wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:30 am
It's funny how emergency and existential crisis give the lie to most concrete idealistic positions. The fact that pandemics seem to spring primarily from one part of the world will call for the culturally insensitive shutting down of traditional wet markets in that are. PZ would apply a hot poker to feet if ultimately that meant revealing the location of a hidden nuclear bomb in Morris. The most ardent libertarian would give the UN authority over any sovereign if it meant his family didn't die from Ebola. Free marketers will laud universal minimum income it it means keeping the violent masses at bay. The future is going to step on a lot of toes.

Ideals are based in the "perfect world", not the real one. I'm not saying they're not important. Most of our lives are spent in a kind of fantasy.
I don't see how the fact that individuals will act in their own self-interest in extreme circumstances negates idealistic beliefs. Even those idealists engaging in the selfish acts would not deny in principal that society would be justified in punishing them. In fact, a lot of ideals are to do with recognising the universality of individual self-interest and trying to negate it at a societal level.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Last night, walking the dog, I heard raised voices.

Black guy pushing a bicycle-- & hispanic guy-- exchanging yells on opposite sidewalks.

Black guy crossed to other side, both crossed back to my side. Hispanic picked up a wood pallet from trash, Black a plastic milk crate.

They bashed together. Then hispanic swung pallet from overhead, catching black in the back. Hispanic jumped on black's bicycle... and rode 20 yards, before falling flat on his side... then walking away, leaving bike in the street.

Black walked past me. I had 2 feet of thick steel cable, tucked in my belt loops. I left it there, tried to look neutral & keep dog out of the way, until he passed.

It started to rain. I dragged slow dog to the corner, stood under an awning. Black guy had retrieved his bike, took cover under same awning. He said "can you call an ambulance? I got stabbed." The bottom half of his t-shirt was bloody. He stumbled in & out of a sleazy cigarette store.

I didn't want to make the call, but I did. Emergency operator was kinda clumsy, garbled the street name. Ambulance and many cops came. I hung up on operator. They tried to call back. Girlfriend also trying to call. I knew she'd be telling me her 'Citizen' app was buzzing-- to avoid that corner.
I shut my phone off.

Cops talked to black: "he won't say anything". So I decided not to say anything. I pointed to black's bike and told a young cop "that's his, can you guys keep it at the precinct until he's out of the hospital?" The cop looked unsure, said no. Useless.

Rain fell much harder. I took dog home. Citizen app said 31,500 people had been alerted about the incident. 130+ comments... mostly cackling at the dilapidated state of the neighborhood. A few trying to blame Trump. More blaming Mayor de Blasio.

==

Similar incident, a few days earlier. Another night walk for the dog. GF told me to avoid a certain block-- 1 up, 3 over-- because citizen app reported a large brawl, with police. So I didn't go that way. But a black guy-- from that direction came carrying a 2 foot steel rod walked angrily past me & dog. I was very aware of steel cable in my belt, but left it there. Minutes later, around the corner-- another black guy (pretty sure it wasn't the same one) carrying identical steel rod, also walking forcefully.

==
A few days earlier, gf came home-- said there were 2 guys up the block having street-beef. Yelling, shoving each other. She laughed at a cluster of suburban-looking whites who were concerned & called cops. Laughed because they couldn't see it was just the ambient baseline level of ghetto nonsense-- homeless, poor kids, sleazy old black men-- rather than an incident worth paying attention-to.

I view the current level of violent stupidity as 'ok, whatever, fine'. Wouldn't stop me from moving here. But it's getting close to not-ok. Too ghetto.