The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
gurugeorge

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by gurugeorge »

Tigzy wrote:In other news, Rolling Stone gets its just desserts over Sabrina Erdely's notorious campus rape story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... ge%2Fstory
Once its flaws were exposed, the article’s deeper message of the effects of campus rape — a pervasive national problem — was lost amid the allegations of shoddy reporting.
ffs, if it's a "pervasive national problem" THEN SURELY THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND A GENUINE EXAMPLE OF IT INSTEAD OF A HOAX.

Grrrr ...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

So, I am busy offline for several hours, and suddenly the alt-right are babbling on Twitter about Hillary Clinton being involved in Satanism, and drinking blood, and "spirit cooking".

I mean, what the, like, fuck? Just when I thought it couldn't get any more ker-aye-zeeeeee.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Not all muslim countries have problems with extremism, a perfect example is progressive Indonesia, the most populous Muslim majority country. :ugeek:
The cleric in the video, Mohamad Iqbal Abdurrahman, also known as Abu Jibril (literally "the father of Jibril"), is indeed the father of a rather well known terrorist, Muhammad Jibril Abdul Rahman, known as "the Prince of Jihad". Father and son have encouraged people to terrorism and funneled money to terrorist organizations. They've both been arrested plenty of times, which makes daddy's request for the full application of the law in the video just a tad hypocritical.

Both have ties to the Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), a terrorist organization active in the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia, and recognized by the UN as part of the Al-Qaeda network. JI was involved in the Bali bombing of 2002, and countless assassination and acts of terrorism, including the 2005 beheading of three Christian girls in Indonesia.

But if a Christian dares to talk about the Quran they must go to jail. Abu Jibril the friendly neighborhood genocidal terrorist says so, and we know he's such a stickler for the rule of law.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

gurugeorge wrote:
Tigzy wrote:In other news, Rolling Stone gets its just desserts over Sabrina Erdely's notorious campus rape story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... ge%2Fstory
Once its flaws were exposed, the article’s deeper message of the effects of campus rape — a pervasive national problem — was lost amid the allegations of shoddy reporting.
ffs, if it's a "pervasive national problem" THEN SURELY THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND A GENUINE EXAMPLE OF IT INSTEAD OF A HOAX.

Grrrr ...
"Facts are a social construct".

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Really? wrote:

I couldn't find his rider, but Stephen Hawking probably has fewer requirements than xir.

-

http://www.celebritytalent.net/sampleta ... n-hawking/

But don't try to book Dr. Hawking unless you have at least 75-150 large burning a hole in your pocket.
But they can always get Dick Carrier PHD for the cost of a few drinks, petrol and a bed for the night.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

CommanderTuvok wrote:So, I am busy offline for several hours, and suddenly the alt-right are babbling on Twitter about Hillary Clinton being involved in Satanism, and drinking blood, and "spirit cooking".

I mean, what the, like, fuck? Just when I thought it couldn't get any more ker-aye-zeeeeee.
Old news. I have already revealed that the Parkinson's symptoms that she was displaying was actually kuru (human equivalent of mad cow disease) that she contracted from eating children's brains, such as the ones that were kidnapped from Haiti recently revealed in Wikileaks.
There is lots of evidence of this on the internet, but the MSM won't show it to you.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:So, I am busy offline for several hours, and suddenly the alt-right are babbling on Twitter about Hillary Clinton being involved in Satanism, and drinking blood, and "spirit cooking".

And it appears that they were attending the work of some performance artist who is replicating parts of Alistar Crowley's rituals. Who knows how far the performance artist is really into it, or if it is just for show. But if you get some washington elites in to watch the show, and bam! You have yourself a scandal.

http://www.infowars.com/spirit-cooking- ... rformance/

From what little I have read, I think it is much to do about nothing. But the internet-right, see this as a major opening to shifting the black vote as they tend to be fairly religious, and Hillary Clinton was participating and attending a satanic cult in their eyes.

If large chunks of your electorate base choose you based on the latest scandal and your virtue signaling, don't be surprised if the flee from you at the drop of the hat. She and the media trained them to think this way instead of focusing on substance.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

It's a load of old nonsense. The 'Satanism' is some 'art' comprising a Saatchi-collection-quality load of pretentious old piss; the 'artist' invited John Podesta's brother to dinner. Said brother emailed John to see if he wanted to come along too. John Podesta never replied; subsequent emails show he never attended the dinner.

And that's it. That's what all this 'Clinton Drinks Blood And Urine At Satanic 'Spirit Dinner' Orgy' thing amounts to. Tenuous just isn't the word. But...even the faintest whiff of satanism might be enough to move the evangelical types to vote for Trump, however much of a big fat nothing it really is. Cos that's the only reason I can see for this utter non-story to take hold.

The only controversy here is how Marina Whatsherface ever attained the title of 'artist' in the first place, considering how shit her work is.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Super hot Playboy model charged with crime after she took a picture of a named 70 year old woman in the gym locker room and posted it online in an attempt to body shame.

Finally, someone realized that this is creepy-ass voyeurism invasion of privacy shit. If a guy had taken a picture of her nude in the same place, he'd be in prison for a while.
"While the body-shaming aspect of this case is inexcusable, the main issue here is not that Ms. Mathers denigrated another woman online with rude or unflattering remarks," she said. "Rather, Ms. Mathers, with both forethought and intent to humiliate and compare, photographed a naked woman, without her knowledge or consent, and then distributed it online for everyone to see and evaluate."
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_ ... 918283.jpg

Image that should get her sent to prison for a while but won't because she's a woman (tastefully redacted):

http://images.thehollywoodgossip.com/iu ... at-pic.png

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Just shoot me.

A group called FemPhys had it speak:
A.W. Peet is a Professor of Physics and a Fellow of Trinity College at the University of Toronto. They hold a B.Sc.(Hons) from the University of Canterbury and a Ph.D. from Stanford University. Their awards include a Radcliffe Fellowship from Harvard and an Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research Fellowship. They grew up in the South Pacific island nation of Aotearoa/New Zealand, and have a little web site at ap.io/home/. They have lived experience of misogyny, ableism, and transphobia. 
Please note that Dr. Peet uses they/them pronouns. 
It's those pronouns.

Fucking illiterates.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tigzy wrote:
The only controversy here is how Marina Whatsherface ever attained the title of 'artist' in the first place, considering how shit her work is.
http://www.snopes.com/john-podesta-spirit-cooking/
...she staged at a number of museums around the world in the ‘90s, painting graffiti with pigs’ blood.
...Abramovic's cookbook does reference recipes containing bodily fluids such as semen and breast milk...
Sounds like shit is one of the few things her work isn't :rimshot:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

gurugeorge wrote:

Grrrr ...
If rape was as prevalent as feminists say it is you wouldn't be able to throw a stone on campus without hitting a rape victim.

Which, coincidentally, is how rape victims are treated in countries which have a genuine rape culture.

free thoughtpolice

Snopes is in the pocket of big Hillary. :hand:
More email secrets, Clinton to rig election by staging fake alien invasion.

Knowing Hillary it may even be areal alien invasion. :shock:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

jet_lagg wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
http://www.snopes.com/john-podesta-spirit-cooking/
...she staged at a number of museums around the world in the ‘90s, painting graffiti with pigs’ blood.
...Abramovic's cookbook does reference recipes containing bodily fluids such as semen and breast milk...
Sounds like shit is one of the few things her work isn't :rimshot:
Then again, Marina Thingy's success could be explained by having her soul being contracted out exclusively to the devil.

http://i.imgur.com/ErjGvWQ.png

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
For safety reasons, you should never reveal someone's transgender status to a third party. First and foremost, it is not your story to tell. In particular, the existence of this web essay does not constitute permission to you the reader to disclose my trans status to anyone
..."Yeah, you know, you're not allowed to disclose my trans status to anyone, even though I have made it public knowledge by writing a public webpage linked to my name"
We also weren't supposed to fap to watch Emma Sulkowitz taking it up the ass, even though she publicly posted a video of herself taking it up the ass.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tigzy wrote:Then again, Marina Thingy's success could be explained by having her soul being contracted out exclusively to the devil.
http://i.imgur.com/ErjGvWQ.png
That's it. If the devil exists then so does God.

BRB, Setting up website called DeLurche's Fleeing Atheism. There I will work to help the many other lost atheists out there to flee the cult of Atheism, and clear up their confusions that brought them down this wrong path to start with. Please share the URL with all of your religious friends, and have the donate to my paypal or patreon to help save other lost souls.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

deLurch wrote:

And it appears that they were attending the work of some performance artist who is replicating parts of Alistar Crowley's rituals. Who knows how far the performance artist is really into it, or if it is just for show. But if you get some washington elites in to watch the show, and bam! You have yourself a scandal.

http://www.infowars.com/spirit-cooking- ... rformance/

From what little I have read, I think it is much to do about nothing. But the internet-right, see this as a major opening to shifting the black vote as they tend to be fairly religious, and Hillary Clinton was participating and attending a satanic cult in their eyes.

If large chunks of your electorate base choose you based on the latest scandal and your virtue signaling, don't be surprised if the flee from you at the drop of the hat. She and the media trained them to think this way instead of focusing on substance.
Anyone here not familiar with Marina Abramovic or what she does? You should do a search and view at least one of her performance art pieces.

When this first came up I ignored it partially because I am inured to this type of scandal and hype by now. I do not believe practically anything in the news about Jimmy Saville for example and I do not see any reason to believe it about Abramovic either.

So anyone have anything that is not hype?

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

... "Once The Elders of Zion's flaws were exposed, the work's deeper message of the effects of World Jewry — a pervasive worldwide problem — was lost amid the allegations of shoddy fact checking."

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

jugheadnaut wrote:Genuinely interested, though, do you think that 2% holds any water whatsoever. If you take today's RCP no toss-up map and flip Florida (which only has a 1.2% lead for Clinton and Trump has led some of the recent polls, including one from the NYT, by 4%), that's all it takes for Trump to win (without even having to win Colorado, never mind Pennsylvania or Michigan). Granted, with the current overall polling numbers it definitely isn't 50/50, since the set of close states Trump has to win is smaller than the set of close states Clinton has to win. But 538's 65% seems intuitively reasonable, while 10% (never mind 2%) seems absurdly low.
When I updated my model on Tuesday, I thought it was too optimistic as well. But then I looked at the other models:
Turns out I'm in good company, right up there with Sam Wang.

But hey, who knows? I'm counting on swing state polls not to suffer from systemic bias.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

d4m10n wrote:But hey, who knows? I'm counting on swing state polls not to suffer from systemic bias.
I am actively fudging swing state polls.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Where I am on this election right now is that I see a whole bunch of Clinton supporters making VERY compelling cases for Trump, and a bunch of Trump supporters making VERY compelling cases for Clinton.

And it's not even fucking just supporters. I was at my parents all day with family, and they had various news running, so I saw a LOT of political ads. Every single one (with the exception of a Pro-Weed legalization ad that I liked) was all negative and terrible and made me hate their cause.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

d4m10n wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:Genuinely interested, though, do you think that 2% holds any water whatsoever. If you take today's RCP no toss-up map and flip Florida (which only has a 1.2% lead for Clinton and Trump has led some of the recent polls, including one from the NYT, by 4%), that's all it takes for Trump to win (without even having to win Colorado, never mind Pennsylvania or Michigan). Granted, with the current overall polling numbers it definitely isn't 50/50, since the set of close states Trump has to win is smaller than the set of close states Clinton has to win. But 538's 65% seems intuitively reasonable, while 10% (never mind 2%) seems absurdly low.
When I updated my model on Tuesday, I thought it was too optimistic as well. But then I looked at the other models:
Turns out I'm in good company, right up there with Sam Wang.

But hey, who knows? I'm counting on swing state polls not to suffer from systemic bias.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think there's a non-zero % chance that ALL of the polls are just horribly wrong, and that we'll see one candidate just CRUSH. Why? I think you could make cases for either or both campaigns getting out massive amounts of non-voters. Clinton, with the presented existential threat of Trump, and Trump, in presenting a strong case to extremely disaffected voters.

Five Thirty Eight did some reporting that this might already be visible to some degree (they actually linked this to Trump)...but I wouldn't be shocked if we saw a candidate top 70 million votes. (Obama and Romney both had about 60 million-ish in 2012)

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

I would actually put a small wager on one candidate at least topping 70 million votes nationally actually.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

InfraRedBucket wrote: Bring all your own stuff or you could just like fucking use Skype and not need to travel much at all.

Xir makes Stephen Hawking seem like Arnie Schwarzenegger.
Using someone's preferred pronouns costs nothing and is not that big of a deal AFAIC, but all the demanded accommodations are ridiculous. Dollars to donuts (see what I did there?) that xe routinely stops at McDonalds on the way into work and scarfs a sausage egg McMuffin with a large Coke.

I agree that xe should use Skype and not travel - sending a mattress topper and then trashing it is really wasteful, and the ergonomic chairs xe demands are probably not comfortable for anyone other than 86-vertebrae bipedal camelids from the planet Zorg, and so would just end up in a landfill. I feel this way more and more about fellow academicians and their conference travel wank ... maybe we should just shut down the whole boondoggle.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Easy J wrote:... "Once The Elders of Zion's flaws were exposed, the work's deeper message of the effects of World Jewry — a pervasive worldwide problem — was lost amid the allegations of shoddy fact checking."
lool, you owe me a keyboard :)

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Really? wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Fuck me some more.

It is a special needs precious snowflake. Must be read to be believed:

http://ap.io/home/disability-accommodations/
That's amazing. Why would anyone invite xir to anything ever? There is a zero percent chance xir will be happy with anything.
This shit is really amazing. I'm disabled, the kind of stuff you can see on an X-ray, metal detector or scars. You fucking hobble along and make do. Life isn't always comfy. But the shitstain manages to bicycle? Bullshit. Toughen up, butter cup.

free thoughtpolice

It turns out that Caine has slandered me. She has called me a liar, alleging I made false statements during our email exchanges.
http://archive.is/IW8eW
I don’t go over there and read. I did a couple of times months ago, to see just how much abear was lying to me via email, and I saw more than enough. No desire to go back. Never had a desire to go in the first place.
I have no ill will to Caine and would be happy to have lunch or a few beers with her and her hubby who sounds like a cool guy.
Nevertheless, you have dropped the gauntlet and I need to defend my honor.
I will tell the truth about the emails.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:It turns out that Caine has slandered me. She has called me a liar, alleging I made false statements during our email exchanges.
http://archive.is/IW8eW
I don’t go over there and read. I did a couple of times months ago, to see just how much abear was lying to me via email, and I saw more than enough. No desire to go back. Never had a desire to go in the first place.
I have no ill will to Caine and would be happy to have lunch or a few beers with her and her hubby who sounds like a cool guy.
Nevertheless, you have dropped the gauntlet and I need to defend my honor.
I will tell the truth about the emails.
So this is the emailgate everyone is talking about.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
Really? wrote:

That's amazing. Why would anyone invite xir to anything ever? There is a zero percent chance xir will be happy with anything.
If your institution/organization/group/company does not have a chair that satisfies all of the above six requirements, please contact me by email with pictures and/or specifications of the best high-quality ergonomic office chairs you do have, so that I can evaluate suitability.
Actually I think we may have something suitable for you. What colour would you like?

http://i.imgur.com/kyAb46N.png
Best. Post. Evah!

Although, in reality I would likely find Davros less of a challenge wank.

free thoughtpolice

So this is the emailgate everyone is talking about.
I need to assemble the pieces and it may take some time, so I appreciate patience while I reveal the whole thing. I want to get it right so it's fair and accurate.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

It's great that Meyers's blog attracts such a diverse audience:

http://i.imgur.com/C5JZ34i.png

Note that "Moments of political madness" is a sub-blog looked after by someone other than Meyers. It pops up all the time in recent comments. Any way of removing it from the data used to create FfTB's Alexa graphs?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Do these bozos not realize that they're harming people who have nothing to do with their quarrel with Peterson? Do they even care? For all their supposed "humanity" and "empathy" they sure as hell love to behave like proper cunts.

No, no they don't.
Nothing is as important as their pet peeve at the moment.

When baby wants a bottle, it doesn't care that it's keeping the whole house up at night.

When a toddler has a melt down in a store, it doesn't care that it is annoying the shit out of everyone else.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Zarna Joshi is crazy and not in the fun snoke some coke and fuck a mule way. I am not going to link to her videos because I like people. Instead check out Chris Raygun's take down of one. She really seems to hate women.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Seems reasonable.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:It's great that Meyers's blog attracts such a diverse audience:

http://i.imgur.com/C5JZ34i.png

Note that "Moments of political madness" is a sub-blog looked after by someone other than Meyers. It pops up all the time in recent comments. Any way of removing it from the data used to create FfTB's Alexa graphs?
Richard Carrier has admitted he wouldn't mind if he took a salty current to the face in the course of events.

Couch

Post by Couch »

deLurch wrote:I thought the Islamic extremists were going to lay low for a while in the US so Trump wouldn't win.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sources-us- ... us-monday/
CBS News has learned about a potential terror threat for the day before the election.

Sources told CBS News senior investigative producer Pat Milton that U.S. intelligence has alerted joint terrorism task forces that al Qaeda could be planning attacks in three states for Monday.

It is believed New York, Texas and Virginia are all possible targets, though no specific locations are mentioned.

U.S. authorities are taking the threat seriously, though the sources stress the intelligence is still being assessed and its credibility hasn’t been confirmed. Counterterrorism officials were alerted to the threat out of abundance of caution.
The other view is the Islamists would prefer a Clinton White House win because the Clintons are overall more Salafi-friendly. And if Trump does disengage from foreign adventues (not likely IMHO, but YMMV) that'll erode part of the Islamist/ISIL raison d'être.

Who knows, so many variables, and much depends on what your time-horiszon is, 5 years or 50?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

The madness, there is no end to it:

Hillary's High Crimes & Misdemeanors
if what Bret Baier is reporting from FBI sources on Fox News is true, America is headed for a constitutional crisis.
Any Slymepitter familiar wwith how these thing go down in the USA, like impeachments and so on want to read and comment?
And I would understand if you do not want to either. I am not too sure I want to explore this now. Especially as I have not seen any "evidence" yet.

Anyway, interesting times people. Very interesting. Dunno how true any of this is but it does make life interesting.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

AndrewV69 wrote:The madness, there is no end to it:

if what Bret Baier is reporting from FBI sources on Fox News is true, America is headed for a constitutional crisis.
Any Slymepitter familiar wwith how these thing go down in the USA, like impeachments and so on want to read and comment?
And I would understand if you do not want to either. I am not too sure I want to explore this now. Especially as I have not seen any "evidence" yet.

Anyway, interesting times people. Very interesting. Dunno how true any of this is but it does make life interesting.
If there is anything to it I doubt it would touch Hillary herself. Not that she is free of blame just that she will be protected. I don't know what constitutional crisis he is talking about. Even, even if Hillary is indicted our system is setup to handle such things. I mean look at Nixon. And yeah much like with Nixon she would probably get pardoned. World isn't fair.

Btw I believe Hillary will win. I don't believe it's really going to be close. I believe she will be a 1 term president.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

It was posted earlier, and got smacked down because it was not exactly what some people were looking for. But this is the same story I've been getting all day from retards on twitter - the kind of Trumpling that reads Alex Jones and thinks he is a real reporter, or an accurate news site. They gained some traction by some reasonably accurate reporting on Gamergate (stopped clock effect), but too many people swallowed his bull hooks one and sinker. This is a real "satanic panic" happening in real time, not back in the 70s, 80s, 90s (D&D, Rock, Metal, Satanic Ritual Abuse, etc). It's amazing to see such blind ideological stupidity happen in real time, despite seeing the same thing from others over the last few years.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

So I was right to be wary?

Bret Baier apologizes for misleading report on Clinton Foundation investigation
Further, Baier said "Indictment is obviously a very loaded word" and that "no one knows if there would or would not be an indictment."

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Snopes is in the pocket of big Hillary. :hand:

Shh...there are no secret Lizard people ruling the world, and Hillary does not eat live mice for dinner. The alien attack will be completely fake. Just follow the directions of the actors and you will have a starring role in the movie...

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Really? wrote:

The Anonymous Flid wrote:Never assume that you know what life as a person with disabilities is like. The truth is, you probably have no idea.
On the contrary, we have a very, very good idea.

:doh:

Couch

Post by Couch »

Billie from Ockham wrote:In contrast to other, previous attempts by countries to move up in basic science and engineering, China can't "buy" the actual people who are doing the work. US academics, for example, will rarely take jobs in Mainland China, no matter how high the pay. (Hong Kong, maybe, but no-fucking-way to Beijing.) So China is using a different approach ... a combination of all-expenses-paid trips to China for Americans and Europeans, plus sending us as many undergrads and grad-students that we'll take. And these two prong are connected. Only part of the all-expenses-paid stuff is about the actual information gleaned from conference. The other part is the hope that people who accept these trips will be more likely to accept Chinese students into their labs.

(Taiwan is doing this, too. I was introduced to several "promising students" on my trip there. Almost every one of them later applied to join my lab.)

Or did you think that "pay-to-play" and other forms of subtle bribery and corruption were only for politicians (e.g., the Clinton Foundation)?
There's a LOT of moving parts, and China plays the long game.

Anyone interested in China generally, and her global 'soft power' strategies in particular, should have a listen to this ABC (Australian Boadcastimg Corporation - sort of cross between CBC and NPR) radio program from three weeks back, unimaginatively titled 'The China Syndrome'.

It is a solid invetigative journalism (remember that) piece on how China is peddling and building soft power in Australia through academic institutions and also, surprise surprise, through entryism into existing citizens' organisation.

There's streaming, download and transcript options at this link.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... 16/7930270

As regards PZ's jaunt - that $5k-odd funding the sponsoring website had whistled up, that wouldn't have paid one business class ticket. This is worth sniffing around.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Spike13 wrote:Do these bozos not realize that they're harming people who have nothing to do with their quarrel with Peterson? Do they even care? For all their supposed "humanity" and "empathy" they sure as hell love to behave like proper cunts.

No, no they don't.

When baby wants a bottle, it doesn't care that it's keeping the whole house up at night.

When a toddler has a melt down in a store, it doesn't care that it is annoying the shit out of everyone else.
If they want to behave like toddlers, they should be treated like toddlers. For example toddlers can't vote or go to the university.

And yes Jadehawk, before you panic, this is a joke.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:The madness, there is no end to it:

"Madness", indeed. Though, isn't there a Chinese curse to the effect, "may you live in interesting times"?

In any case, interesting article and interesting retraction from Baier. But something, many some things, sure look rotten in Denmark. Surprised there wasn't any mention of Peter Kadzik who's supposed to be heading up the DOJ "task force" which is reviewing the bill-of-particulars against Hillary but who, according to WikiLeaks, had given a heads-up to Clinton on earlier investigations: "Say, Mr. Capone. Just a heads-up but Elliott Ness and the boys are planning a raid on your speakeasies and bookies." As Zero Hedge elaborated:
Tyler Durden wrote:DOJ's Peter Kadzik Exposed Colluding With Clinton Campaign

by Tyler Durden
Nov 2, 2016 6:26 PM

On Monday we were the first to note that Podesta's friend Peter Kadzik was the DOJ representative chosen to head up a "thorough" review of the new Huma Abedin emails as revealed by a letter he wrote to Congress. Given Kadzik's personal relationship with Podesta, it seemed like a "convenient" choice for the Clinton campaign.
In the letter to Congress, the DOJ writes that it “will continue to work closely with the FBI and together, dedicate all necessary resources and take appropriate steps as expeditiously as possible,” assistant attorney General Peter J. Kadzik writes in letters to House and Senate lawmakers.
"Ironically", that is the same Peter Kadzik who has proven his "impartiality" in multiple WikiLeaks emails including this newly released bombshell in which Kadzik provides a very helpful "heads up" about Hillary's email server investigation. This is what Kadzik emailed to John Podesta (via gmail) on May 19, 2015:
There is a HJC oversight hearing today where the head of our Civil Division will testify. Likely to get questions on State Department emails. Another filing in the FOIA case went in last night or will go in this am that indicates it will be awhile (2016) before the State Department posts the emails.
As we also reported previously (see below), prior to joining the DOJ, Kadzik was the attorney of Marc Rich, whose records the FBI released yesterday, as well as Podesta; in fact, the Clinton campaign chairman infamously wrote that Kadzik was a “fantastic lawyer” who “kept me out of jail.” ....
Fucking rot. Hard not to see Trump as the lesser of the two evils even if he's a bit of a long-shot.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Spike13 wrote:Do these bozos not realize that they're harming people who have nothing to do with their quarrel with Peterson? Do they even care? For all their supposed "humanity" and "empathy" they sure as hell love to behave like proper cunts.

No, no they don't.

If they want to behave like toddlers, they should be treated like toddlers. For example toddlers can't vote or go to the university.

And yes Jadehawk, before you panic, this is a joke.
Agreed, do your Federal Service and get the vote. Nothing comes without a cost.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Snopes is in the pocket of big Hillary. :hand:

This is all starting to look familiar.

http://acephalous.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8 ... 28a4-600wi

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Brive1987 wrote:Agreed, do your Federal Service and get the vote. Nothing comes without a cost.
http://i.memecaptain.com/gend_images/6VT3Mw.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Peak insanity from some "philosophers" of the extreme left: Is having a loving family an unfair advantage?
Once he got thinking, Swift could see that the issue stretches well beyond the fact that some families can afford private schooling, nannies, tutors, and houses in good suburbs. Functional family interactions—from going to the cricket to reading bedtime stories—form a largely unseen but palpable fault line between families. The consequence is a gap in social mobility and equality that can last for generations.
So, what to do?
According to Swift, from a purely instrumental position the answer is straightforward.
‘One way philosophers might think about solving the social justice problem would be by simply abolishing the family. If the family is this source of unfairness in society then it looks plausible to think that if we abolished the family there would be a more level playing field.’
Oh, yeah, great idea. That can't backfire in any way...
‘The evidence shows that the difference between those who get bedtime stories and those who don’t—the difference in their life chances—is bigger than the difference between those who get elite private schooling and those that don’t,’ he says.
This devilish twist of evidence surely leads to a further conclusion—that perhaps in the interests of levelling the playing field, bedtime stories should also be restricted.
And here I thought that the idea behind the equality of opportunity was to raise standards and treat disadvantage people better. No, it's all about "leveling the playing field", even when this means restricting the freedom to read bedtime stories to your child. Because, you know, this is unfair to the poor children who don't get everyone to read them bedtime stories.

If bedtime stories are an unfair advantage then what else? Beauty surely gives beautiful people an unfair advantage, should be give ugly scars to beautiful people? Intelligence is also an unfair advantage, should be we require people who are too clever to take drugs that will damage their brains? What about crippling sane individuals to level the playing field with people who can't walk?
So should parents snuggling up for one last story before lights out be even a little concerned about the advantage they might be conferring?
‘I don’t think parents reading their children bedtime stories should constantly have in their minds the way that they are unfairly disadvantaging other people’s children, but I think they should have that thought occasionally,’ quips Swift.
Yes, you've read it right. By treating your children well you are disadvantaging other people's children. It's not like those other people could be encouraged to be better parents, no siree. It's you, the selfish good parent, who are selfishly giving advantages to your children over other people's children. Sounds legit.
Then, does the child have a right to be parented by her biological parents? Swift has a ready answer.
‘It’s true that in the societies in which we live, biological origins do tend to form an important part of people’s identities, but that is largely a social and cultural construction. So you could imagine societies in which the parent-child relationship could go really well even without there being this biological link.’
Biological ties are a social construct.
It’s here that the traditional notions of what constitutes the family come apart. A necessary product of the Swift and Brighouse analytical defence is the calling into question of some rigid definitions.
‘Politicians love to talk about family values, but meanwhile the family is in flux and so we wanted to go back to philosophical basics to work out what are families for and what’s so great about them and then we can start to figure out whether it matters whether you have two parents or three or one, or whether they’re heterosexual etcetera.’
For traditionalists, though, Swift provides a small concession.
‘We do want to defend the family against complete fragmentation and dissolution,’ he says. ‘If you start to think about a child having 10 parents, then that’s looking like a committee rearing a child; there aren’t any parents there at all.’
Gee, you think?

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Kirbmarc wrote:Peak insanity from some "philosophers" of the extreme left: Is having a loving family an unfair advantage?
Once he got thinking, Swift could see that the issue stretches well beyond the fact that some families can afford private schooling, nannies, tutors, and houses in good suburbs. Functional family interactions—from going to the cricket to reading bedtime stories—form a largely unseen but palpable fault line between families. The consequence is a gap in social mobility and equality that can last for generations.
So, what to do?
According to Swift, from a purely instrumental position the answer is straightforward.
‘One way philosophers might think about solving the social justice problem would be by simply abolishing the family. If the family is this source of unfairness in society then it looks plausible to think that if we abolished the family there would be a more level playing field.’
‘The evidence shows that the difference between those who get bedtime stories and those who don’t—the difference in their life chances—is bigger than the difference between those who get elite private schooling and those that don’t,’ he says.
This devilish twist of evidence surely leads to a further conclusion—that perhaps in the interests of levelling the playing field, bedtime stories should also be restricted.
And here I thought that the idea behind the equality of opportunity was to raise standards and treat disadvantage people better. No, it's all about "leveling the playing field", even when this means restricting the freedom to read bedtime stories to your child. Because, you know, this is unfair to the poor children who don't get everyone to read them bedtime stories.

If bedtime stories are an unfair advantage then what else? Beauty surely gives beautiful people an unfair advantage, should be give ugly scars to beautiful people? Intelligence is also an unfair advantage, should be we require people who are too clever to take drugs that will damage their brains? What about crippling sane individuals to level the playing field with people who can't walk?
So should parents snuggling up for one last story before lights out be even a little concerned about the advantage they might be conferring?
‘I don’t think parents reading their children bedtime stories should constantly have in their minds the way that they are unfairly disadvantaging other people’s children, but I think they should have that thought occasionally,’ quips Swift.
Yes, you've read it right. By treating your children well you are disadvantaging other people's children. It's not like those other people could be encouraged to be better parents, no siree. It's you, the selfish good parent, who are selfishly giving advantages to your children over other people's children. Sounds legit.
Then, does the child have a right to be parented by her biological parents? Swift has a ready answer.
‘It’s true that in the societies in which we live, biological origins do tend to form an important part of people’s identities, but that is largely a social and cultural construction. So you could imagine societies in which the parent-child relationship could go really well even without there being this biological link.’
Biological ties are a social construct.
It’s here that the traditional notions of what constitutes the family come apart. A necessary product of the Swift and Brighouse analytical defence is the calling into question of some rigid definitions.
‘Politicians love to talk about family values, but meanwhile the family is in flux and so we wanted to go back to philosophical basics to work out what are families for and what’s so great about them and then we can start to figure out whether it matters whether you have two parents or three or one, or whether they’re heterosexual etcetera.’
‘We do want to defend the family against complete fragmentation and dissolution,’ he says. ‘If you start to think about a child having 10 parents, then that’s looking like a committee rearing a child; there aren’t any parents there at all.’
Gee, you think?
Not to brag, but I kind of called this back in 2014: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=379&p=155242#p155242

Of course, Harrison Bergeron and all that.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Kirbmarc wrote:Peak insanity from some "philosophers" of the extreme left: Is having a loving family an unfair advantage?
So, what to do?
It's often said that Orwell didn't intend 1984 to be an instruction manual. I don't think Vonnegut wanted Harrison Bergeron to be an instruction manual either.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Crap :nin:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Children are more likely to be murdered by step parents than genetic parents but if abandoning the genetic link in parenting levels the playing field who are we to argue?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I've realized that I've come to loath the expression "leveling the playing field". It used to mean helping people who had disadvantages, now it's become all about shaming and guilt-tripping people who have advantages.

I expect people to argue for scarring beautiful people or making clever people dumber anytime soon.

Oh, and by the way, since the Social Constructionist side is a never-ending source of insanity:
These people don't realize that if they were right then the fundamentalists who claim that being gay is a "lifestyle choice" would also be right. If everything is a social construct and there are no biological basis for anything then why wouldn't gay reparation therapies work?

They're turning civil right campaigns for the freedom to be who you are into a squabbling of competing ideologies who wish to shape people into a predetermined role. There's no difference between the SJW-PoMo-Social Constructionist crowd and the religious fundamentalist other than the idea of what their ideal society looks like.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shatterface wrote:Children are more likely to be murdered by step parents than genetic parents but if abandoning the genetic link in parenting levels the playing field who are we to argue?
Interesting.

Let's take that idea a step further.

Every baby born on a given day, will be randomly swapped with another. Parents will have no idea who has their biological baby, all they have is a different baby born on that day.

Would that affect how the public chooses to allocate educational resources? Would it affect how health care for children is allocated? Poverty mitigation steps? Salaries for the poorer tier? Would racial customs mostly dry up and disappear? Would racism all but disappear?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN12Z2BI
Germany threatening Facebook over "hate speech." While some of it really is hateful, will eliminating it from social media eliminate the sentiment or simply lead to burning resentment? As always, the internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.

What would be so terrible about countering hate speech with better speech? Dialog and not censorship? It isn't as though taking it off social media is going to win hearts and minds.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:I've realized that I've come to loath the expression "leveling the playing field". It used to mean helping people who had disadvantages, now it's become all about shaming and guilt-tripping people who have advantages.

I expect people to argue for scarring beautiful people or making clever people dumber anytime soon.
http://shinynewbooks.co.uk/wp-content/u ... ustice.jpg

Facial Justice is a dystopian novel by L. P. Hartley, published in 1960. The novel depicts a post-apocalyptic society that has sought to banish privilege and envy, to the extent that people will even have their faces surgically altered in order to appear neither too beautiful nor too ugly. The novel was included in Anthony Burgess's Ninety-nine Novels: The Best in English Since 1939: A Personal Choice.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_Justice

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Gee, you think?
Maybe they can finally open the London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre, and get some more control over the Alphas, Gammas and Epsilons. He sounds like he would make a fine Director.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Was and will make me ill. I take a gramme and only am.