Old subthreads
Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Tribble wrote:
Darth Cynic wrote:
Tribble wrote:SHOT at officers earlier in the confrontation. And when she ran, she turned to shoot again.
What I read suggested that she pointed the gun forcing the police to retreat into the hall but she did not fire initially, and the runner was her partner(?) who bailed out of a window with another child and was picked up shortly thereafter; there was a warrant for him as well. However, that was old information which may have changed some by now.

Also, is that annoying voiced twat in the video just some random clown or are they supposed to be somebody?
It was a five-or-six hour standoff. She didn't shoot initially. She shot later. Then there was more stand-off before she ran and more shots were fired.
Officers retreated to the hallway and called for backup, according to police. Tactical teams surrounded the home and negotiations with Gaines got underway about 9:40 a.m.

At some point, Gaines’ boyfriend, 39-year-old Kareem Courtney, ran out of the home with a 1-year-old child and was taken into custody without incident on a warrant for second-degree assault, police said.

Gaines remained inside, broadcasting her standoff with police on social media. Police, who deactivated her accounts by contacting Facebook, have said her social media followers were discouraging Gaines from surrendering peacefully.
But she was a piece of work:
Following the shooting, police released charging documents from the traffic stop that led officers to serve the warrant on Gaines. On March 10, she was pulled over for having cardboard on her car where her license plates were supposed to go.

“Any government official who compromises this pursuit to happiness and right to travel will be held criminally responsible and fined as this is a natural right and freedom,” the rear piece of cardboard said, while the one in front read, “Free traveler.”

Police alleged Gaines, who had two children in her car, was uncooperative during the stop and at one point told an officer he had no right to pull her over and would have to “murder her” to get her out of the vehicle.

When Gaines refused to exit, she was placed under arrest during a brief struggle in which she allegedly told her son to “fight and bite the officer” who was holding him.

For that incident, Gaines was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. She later missed a court hearing for those charges and a judge issued a warrant for her arrest.
I get the impression that this outcome was pretty much inevitable. Sooner or later she, or a cop, or both were going to be dead because she had a head full of anger and stupidity.
Is this basically a precog account of Elyse's future? Sure sounds like one.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Cnutella wrote:I'm fairly sure that Nathan will be changing his unmoderated comments policy tomorrow.

The mysterious "Abear" is going to town on Nate's List in the comments section. Werner Herzog should do a voiceover.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160806035 ... ot-allies/
Fortunately Iris van der Pluym is on to this Ursid!
http://freethoughtblogs.com/natehevens/ ... ot-allies/

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

rayshul wrote:How is Heina gender neutral? How do people decide that?
What does that mean when you just dress and act like your gender and... I mean I can get that PR nonce because he clearly can't do shit about his physical situation.
Razor, wig, dress, done. It isn't that hard.

It isn't to say that he would make for an attractive woman. But that has to do with weight and over all genetics.

And hell, some drag queens have certainly learned to pull off amazing representations with unfortunate bodies. So it isn't really impossible.

feathers

Post by feathers »

HunnyBunny wrote:"Duck" .... I'm ok with this autocorrect error. I think we can let it stand, no need for the edit button here.
After all, we all know about the sexual habits of ducks...

feathers

Post by feathers »

Service Dog wrote:
rayshul wrote:How is Heina gender neutral? How do people decide that?
Heina prefers the pronoun 'they', because she identifies as multiple accusers.
It puts the apology in the mailbox or else it gets the C&D again.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

VickyCaramel wrote: Trident now mainly goes after gang crime in London, but was originally set up to tackle gun crime in black communities after a series of murders and drive-by shootings during the 1990s. They also had problems in Manchester.

There are crime problems in the black community (gang-bangers...), also in the white community (chavs...) and other communities...

But what about the Asians? We never see much prominent crimes in their community.

Or is it, maybe...

:nin: :nin: :nin:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Btw the blame was apportioned on the basis that she had to do 2 men
Shameless quotemine...
Good thing I read ahead before doing the same.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

feathers wrote:
Cnutella wrote:I'm fairly sure that Nathan will be changing his unmoderated comments policy tomorrow.

The mysterious "Abear" is going to town on Nate's List in the comments section. Werner Herzog should do a voiceover.

Blacks can only be 3/5ths racist.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Eskarina wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Yeah, but if "insults to the detriment of the dead" really is a crime, that is world-class retarded. What is up with that?
Simply said, yes, "disparagement to the remembrance of the dead" is a crime, but only under very narrow circumstances.
Ah, but there's an important difference between "detriment" or "remembrance". What does the German formula look like?

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

feathers wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Yeah, but if "insults to the detriment of the dead" really is a crime, that is world-class retarded. What is up with that?
Simply said, yes, "disparagement to the remembrance of the dead" is a crime, but only under very narrow circumstances.
Ah, but there's an important difference between "detriment" or "remembrance". What does the German formula look like?
It's "remembrance".

§189 of the StGB: "Verunglimpfung des Andenkens Verstorbener"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verunglim ... rstorbener

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Service Dog wrote:
feathers wrote:

Blacks can only be 3/5ths racist.
Is that your puppy in your avatar SD? What "kind" of dog is it? (Channeling Ray Comfort there!)

I'm getting a puppy myself soon, probably a border terrier. I've been doing a bit of research into dog breeding and there are some sad and infuriating situations arising from the extreme selective mating resulting in all sorts of health problems. The flat-faced type dogs, such as pugs, bulldogs, pekinese, etc really suffer. One of the worst breeds is the English bulldog it seems.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 60041.html

Before I started looking into it I always quite liked the Boston terrier, but they too are a brachycephalic type (the anatomic term given to these short muzzled animals) and I don't want to support this, these dogs are incredibly popular at the moment though. I read an article that suggested that people find the flat face so desirable because it reminds us of human infant and triggers a "cute" response, interesting stuff I thought.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Eskarina wrote:
feathers wrote:
Eskarina wrote: Simply said, yes, "disparagement to the remembrance of the dead" is a crime, but only under very narrow circumstances.
It's "remembrance".

§189 of the StGB: "Verunglimpfung des Andenkens Verstorbener"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verunglim ... rstorbener
Ah right. According to the section "Rechtsgut", the law is interpreted to protect the "feeling of piety" of the next of kin, and the human dignity of the dead person. It is expressly not meant to protect their, or the deceased's, honour.
What is up is, that "detriment of the dead" is a bad translation. In principle this law could be abused to obstruct criticism of the dead, but the WP article makes it clear that it only applies under some severe circumstances. Unfortunately, it was used to fight Holocaust denial (i.c. the Leuchter Report); I wonder if that will stand as nearly all next-of-kin are now themselves dead.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Oglebart wrote:I'm getting a puppy myself soon, probably a border terrier. I've been doing a bit of research into dog breeding and there are some sad and infuriating situations arising from the extreme selective mating resulting in all sorts of health problems. The flat-faced type dogs, such as pugs, bulldogs, pekinese, etc really suffer. One of the worst breeds is the English bulldog it seems.
Does it have to be a brand? Arguably, if you pick a halfbreed puppy dog from a friend or the asylum, you may not be as certain what character you've got sleeping on the couch, but in my experience (much of my family having had dogs) the bastards had fewer health problems and, in fact, fewer behavioural problems than the expensive thoroughbreds.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oglebart wrote:
Really? wrote:PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!! WHY WON'T YOU PAY ATTENTION TO ME?
In any other field, when a peer reviewed study is published challenging an existing consensus, experts in that field read that study and interact with it to ascertain whether it does indeed warrant shifting the consensus position. This is how all progress in any science is made, even in history. A field that ignores peer reviewed challenges to the consensus, and just rejects them without having even read them (much less without finding and publishing any relevant flaw in them) is no longer a legitimate academic field.
Ha, ha, this is priceless! Only one thing worst than being talked about eh Dickie? :D
Your Spoogieness is like a stream of bat's piss.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

feathers wrote:Ah right. According to the section "Rechtsgut", the law is interpreted to protect the "feeling of piety" of the next of kin, and the human dignity of the dead person. It is expressly not meant to protect their, or the deceased's, honour.
What is up is, that "detriment of the dead" is a bad translation. In principle this law could be abused to obstruct criticism of the dead, but the WP article makes it clear that it only applies under some severe circumstances. Unfortunately, it was used to fight Holocaust denial (i.c. the Leuchter Report); I wonder if that will stand as nearly all next-of-kin are now themselves dead.
It will take another generation or two to even begin thinking about abolishing that paragraph. We are still conditioned to believe we'll turn into Nazis the moment we are confronted with Holocaust Denial.

It seems criminal charges for negligent homicide and defamation was filed by a German youtuber calling herself "Xscape". Apparently, the insulter was provoking the killer, and she is also going to file charges against those who mobbed the killer as they are partly responsible for the shooting spree.

My theory is that this is her 15 minutes of fame and a lousy attempt at clickbaiting, since the rest of her videos mostly consist of product tests for cheap cosmetics and kids toys and other banal themes.

That and she's gaga.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Really? wrote:Carrier is such a fucking psycho loser. Here is his last paragraph. Bear in mind that he is referring to his own boring, worthless work and is projecting his jealousy. These people have jobs and this loser is sending cease and desists from his girlfriend's husband's basement.
It’s as if the experts forming this ever-cited consensus can’t even be bothered to actually get up to speed on the facts and scholarship before taking a position on it. Rather, they just have to defend the bulwarks against an interloper whose new theory will get them in trouble, losing them their jobs, their prestige, their audience, or their faith. And they’ll do this, apparently, without having to be familiar with any of the pertinent peer reviewed literature, even the literature they insist on rebutting.
Carrier is a crank. He's using the exact same tactics of Deepak Chopra or of Michael Behe. "They wouldn't even read my book! It's peer-reviewed! They only do it because they have too much to lose!"
Next, he'll be telling us they laughed at Galileo.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Tribble wrote:I gave up after the Korean Summer Olympics. When they robbed that boxer of his gold medal to give it the shitty Korean (who shouldn't have even been there to begin with) I decided the corruption of the judges, along with the rest of it, was just too much.
I made it as far as Beijing, then learning that some of the girls were underage turned me off. Like the Good Doctor, I am strict about legal age minimums.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

updated 9 mins ago from the BBC Belgian police attacked with machete in Charleroi
The assailant is said to have shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is great" in Arabic) during the assault outside the city's main police station.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

feathers

Post by feathers »

F5 F5 F5

F5

Malky

Post by Malky »

comhcinc wrote:
Malky wrote: I don't think any sport that has to be decided by judges awarding marks should be in an Olympics. The result ends to too much influenced by reputation and who is in or out rather than any actual performance. I can remember seeing quite a few performances which judging by the crowd reaction and my own view were the best on the day only to be beaten by the "in" name(s). If it can't be measured it shouldn't be in as too open to bias.
First your quoting sucks.

Second I kinda agree with you. I don't call activities that don't have a defined way to win as a sport.

So for example boxing is a sport. While a fight often goes to the judges for a decision you can win a fight via knock out. Ice skating is not a sport because you can only win via judge decisions.

That said I don't think we should not have those activities in the Olympics. I think there should just be a better transparent guide lines for judging.
I agree - once I have to respond to something that is already 3 quotes the only way I know to do this is to put it all in one quote. I have no idea how the rest of you keep them all separate once this limit is reached - any hints gratefully accepted

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Tribble wrote:I gave up after the Korean Summer Olympics. When they robbed that boxer of his gold medal to give it the shitty Korean (who shouldn't have even been there to begin with) I decided the corruption of the judges, along with the rest of it, was just too much.
I made it as far as Beijing, then learning that some of the girls were underage turned me off. Like the Good Doctor, I am strict about legal age minimums.
Underage girls boxing? This topic requires pics.

--
Not following the Games, I'd completely missed the Beijing kerfuffle with presumedly underaged gymnast girls and just learned there is, in fact, a minimum age of 16 since 1997. I distinctly remember there were 14- and even the odd 13-year olds in the seventies/eighties.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I have my circuit exam Monday morning. Unlike the theory, that one is one I'm more than likely to fuck up.

I thought a bit of levity would be welcome.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Oglebart wrote: Is that your puppy in your avatar SD? What "kind" of dog is it? (Channeling Ray Comfort there!)

I'm getting a puppy myself soon, probably a border terrier. I've been doing a bit of research into dog breeding and there are some sad and infuriating situations arising from the extreme selective mating resulting in all sorts of health problems. The flat-faced type dogs, such as pugs, bulldogs, pekinese, etc really suffer. One of the worst breeds is the English bulldog it seems.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 60041.html

Before I started looking into it I always quite liked the Boston terrier, but they too are a brachycephalic type (the anatomic term given to these short muzzled animals) and I don't want to support this, these dogs are incredibly popular at the moment though. I read an article that suggested that people find the flat face so desirable because it reminds us of human infant and triggers a "cute" response, interesting stuff I thought.
My family has always had border terriers. Awesome dogs; loads of fun, and loyal as fuck.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I have my circuit exam Monday morning. Unlike the theory, that one is one I'm more than likely to fuck up.

I've heard everything goes better after a bottle of Pastis.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Clarence wrote:Though my heart was broken in pieces by The Suey Park Incident, I think I'm well enough now to start a new relationship.

Is Jenny McDermott free?
She supposedly has a long distance affair with a lisping kiwi dweeb with a small penis that lives in Australia and has a youtube channel (Bewildered Ape).
You never know though, it might be worth sending her a dick pic and tell her you plan to court her aggressively.
She does have a habit of doxing people and making complaints to the FBI for the flimsiest of excuses, but for a catch like Jenny it's probably worth the risk. :drool:
Thank you for answering my question.
Sadly, the FBI would tend be all up in my business, because they tend to frown on proper discipline for 16-24 year old schoolgirls.

And while I probably have a bigger penis, I'm not half the ape (heck, I don't fool myself that I'm 1/4 of the Ape) that Bewildered Ape is.

I heard Anita Sarkeesian and JM might be on the splits...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

feathers wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I have my circuit exam Monday morning. Unlike the theory, that one is one I'm more than likely to fuck up.

I've heard everything goes better after a bottle of Pastis.
My instructor advised a beer before the test to relax. not enough to be over the limit, but enough to be more relaxed. Not a joke, and I'm considering...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

On the other hand, the exam is at 8am, meeting on the track at 6:30am, and I haven't had a drink this early since... last week?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Mmmm -- Michelle Jenneke is the face of Coke's Rio olympic ads.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Malky wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Malky wrote: I don't think any sport that has to be decided by judges awarding marks should be in an Olympics. The result ends to too much influenced by reputation and who is in or out rather than any actual performance. I can remember seeing quite a few performances which judging by the crowd reaction and my own view were the best on the day only to be beaten by the "in" name(s). If it can't be measured it shouldn't be in as too open to bias.
First your quoting sucks.

Second I kinda agree with you. I don't call activities that don't have a defined way to win as a sport.

So for example boxing is a sport. While a fight often goes to the judges for a decision you can win a fight via knock out. Ice skating is not a sport because you can only win via judge decisions.

That said I don't think we should not have those activities in the Olympics. I think there should just be a better transparent guide lines for judging.
I agree - once I have to respond to something that is already 3 quotes the only way I know to do this is to put it all in one quote. I have no idea how the rest of you keep them all separate once this limit is reached - any hints gratefully accepted
Don't do that. That is akin to making it seem like someone else said the words which is a bannable offense.

All I do is cut out everything but the last quote. People are bright enough to understand what is happening.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Brive1987 wrote: Btw the blame was apportioned on the basis that she had to do 2 men's worth of domestic chores...
So, clearing the beer cans off the table?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Everyone can relax, I sorted my iPad. It seems web browsing is designed to break after you tell the auto update to ""fuck off" for two months straight.

So I capitulated, updated and bingo.

Btw the blame was apportioned on the basis that she had to do 2 men's worth of domestic chores and it was a miracle she got out of the house at all.
Wait, you wasn't doing the updates?

Shame.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

There, there...

[youtube]9foi342LXQE[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/06/europe/be ... index.html

Machete-wielding man attacks two Belgian police officers
A machete-wielding man shouting "Allahu Akbar" was shot and killed after wounding two police officers Saturday in the Belgian city of Charleroi, police said via Twitter.

The assault occurred outside a police station in the city center...
This of course has nothing to do with Islam and is proof that gun control works.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

I never heard of this guy before, I wish i had this video to hand last week when arguing with BLM.

[youtube]TJMb1mz_o9A[/youtube]

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

dogen wrote:Mmmm -- Michelle Jenneke is the face of Coke's Rio olympic ads.
I see she likes a nice bit of sausage as well. :D
Do not go there with Photoshop....
http://i.imgur.com/zXgjQe5.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HunnyBunny wrote:
On Monday Frank told The Fix in a Facebook message that the comments attributed to her on the GoFundMe page had come from her original complaint to the Secular Student Alliance last April.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/28383/
Thanks for the link. This is my favorite part so far.
Holy fuck. And all SSA (read: Augie "I'll come on your face if you come on mine" Brunsman) could muster in response to that detailed complaint* was a review of their speakers' bureau policies. :doh:

During the course of the night, Dr. Carrier brought up having sexual relations with my husband and I. He told me that he was disappointed that my husband wouldn't let me just have sex with him, but that'd he'd be willing to have my husband involved. My husband quickly fell asleep after arriving [at a friend’s] house. Dr. Carrier kept whispering to me how my husband wasn't awake and wouldn't be for a while (insinuating that he wouldn't know if we did something inappropriate)...He repeatedly pointed out the fact that'd he had a vasectomy and how it much it increased his sexual performance.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HunnyBunny wrote:More gems from the latest Carrier tome
so far as I know, no one with a Ph.D. in the field who has orally debated or published in print any defense of historicity has bothered to read my book
Because if they had they would immediately abandon their decades of research and say I'm right.

I love Dickie and I hope he continues to be such a narcissistic twat for many more years.

http://archive.is/HUBAm
Not only is that false -- historicists have read and severely critiqued OHJ -- several leading mythicists have utterly shredded it. And at least two mathematicians have shat all over his cargo-cult bayesian analyses.

But what do you expect from a gonk who regularly cites himself to support his arguments?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nathan Hevenstone wrote:It’s also okay in this country to hate vegans, and Jews, and Muslims, and fat people, and skinny people, and Sikhs, and Hindus, and Buddhists, and people who are physically and/or mentally disabled… in short… bigoted intolerance is still acceptable in western society.
Yeah, but vegans are asking for it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Vegans should fuck off back to Vega.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Or was it Vegas?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Oglebart wrote:
Is that your puppy in your avatar SD? What "kind" of dog is it? (Channeling Ray Comfort there!)

I'm getting a puppy myself soon, probably a border terrier.
Yeah, that's my guy, on the first day we found him. He was 7 1/2 lbs. Now he's 80 lbs.
http://i.imgur.com/nlsXaHi.jpg

He's some kind of hunting hound. Likes to fetch in water, more than anything. Probably half Pitbull.

He has knee troubles, possibly because I let him over-exert, when he was growing. Dogs under 40 lbs are much more likely to recover from knee injuries without surgery, so that's in a border terrier's favor. Apparently border terriers are prone to dash-off when unleashed-- which could be a problem. But they seem sturdy & smart.

This is the best training book I read. Pay no attention to the cheezy 'complete idiot's' title. That's just marketing. The first 2 years, they're still puppies, so dogs will have a short attention span & be more into playing than learning. But then they get serious & it's amazing how much they can learn.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Shatterface wrote:Vegans should fuck off back to Vega.
Vegan poetry is the worst in the known universe. Their cooking isn't up to much either.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

FTP, Neckbeard Nathan has banned you. Sorry mate. It appears he is aiming for the stars and a 'PZ-like reputation' Now there's an ambition.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Nathan Hevenstone wrote:It’s also okay in this country to hate vegans, and Jews, and Muslims, and fat people, and skinny people, and Sikhs, and Hindus, and Buddhists, and people who are physically and/or mentally disabled… in short… bigoted intolerance is still acceptable in western society.
Does Nathan really think that no people in non-western countries hate others due to bigotry? Is he really so naive not to see that any group teaches that it's OK to hate people they dislike for one reason or another?

If anything it's far less acceptable to hate Jews in the west than elsewhere (especially in Muslim majority countries) and I'd wager that the same is true for the disabled or skinny or fat people, and probably even vegans.

And in most Western social circles saying that you hate Hindus or Sikhs or Buddhists is frowned upon. Even in the case of Muslims saying that you hate all Muslims is only accepted in certain social circles, not others.

Does Nathan really think that hatred should be prohibited by law, and that even if that happened, that people would magically stop hating each other?

He probably knows all of this, and is just trying to prove he's so much above the plebs by showing how he doesn't hate anyone (except cis-white-hetero men...but not really, he's a jokester).

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

jimthepleb wrote:FTP, Neckbeard Nathan has banned you. Sorry mate. It appears he is aiming for the stars and a 'PZ-like reputation' Now there's an ambition.
A Bear was banned? When will this country face up to its ursine-phobia? At least the natives got casinos. I say we let bears have casinos. And bicycles. #BearLivesMatter

Really?

Post by Really? »

jimthepleb wrote:FTP, Neckbeard Nathan has banned you. Sorry mate. It appears he is aiming for the stars and a 'PZ-like reputation' Now there's an ambition.
He's so stupid. He said:
Nathan says
August 6, 2016 at 2:05 pm
The sociological definition of racism is prejudice + power. The dictionary definition is useless here (unless you’re white and racist and want an excuse to be). Privilege is intersectional.
People of color can be prejudiced, but they cannot be racist. I’m sure you don’t like that, but it’s fact.
Which led to this hilarious exchange:
robertbaden says
August 6, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Nathan,
So although my uncle (family is Mexican American) disowned his daughter for marrying a Mexican American with African heritage, he wasn’t racist? What if the family hadn’t left Mexico, and he was a member of the majority population and did the same thing? Does being one one side or the other of the Rio Grande determine whether his action was racist or not?
Vivec says
August 6, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Does being one one side or the other of the Rio Grande determine whether his action was racist or not?
Yes, absolutely.
Prejudice + Power requires societal power, which differs based on context. An Irish person has far more power in contemporary America than they did in 1800’s America, for example.
Nowadays, Irish are considered white, and no longer face the same marginalization as they used to -- and that Mexican and African Americans still continue to face. Thus, their social power has changed, and as has their ability to be racist.
If it can vary based on time, why not geography?
Hey, abear! Stop being disingenuous by introducing freethought at Freethought Blogs.
Nathan says
August 6, 2016 at 3:04 pm
OOH LOOK I’M GONNA GET A PZ-LIKE REPUTATION!
Abear has been banned!
Not all bears… just abear. Every other bear will be allowed to prove themselves worthy of commenting. But abear, in particular, was someone I just have no desire to deal with, disingenuous little shit that they are…

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Don't worry Phil, you'll be fine unless they give you a school bus.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20jzsz.jpg

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Really? wrote:Carrier is such a fucking psycho loser. Here is his last paragraph. Bear in mind that he is referring to his own boring, worthless work and is projecting his jealousy. These people have jobs and this loser is sending cease and desists from his girlfriend's husband's basement.
It’s as if the experts forming this ever-cited consensus can’t even be bothered to actually get up to speed on the facts and scholarship before taking a position on it. Rather, they just have to defend the bulwarks against an interloper whose new theory will get them in trouble, losing them their jobs, their prestige, their audience, or their faith. And they’ll do this, apparently, without having to be familiar with any of the pertinent peer reviewed literature, even the literature they insist on rebutting.
Really ironic considering the comments made by other scholars (both professional and amateur) that Dicky hasn't read the current literature and research.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote:

Don't worry Phil, you'll be fine unless they give you a school bus.

http://i66.tinypic.com/20jzsz.jpg
That bus might be safer. Remind us how many cc's your new crotch-rocket has, Phil?

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Service Dog wrote:
Oglebart wrote:

I'm getting a puppy myself soon, probably a border terrier.
Yeah, that's my guy, on the first day we found him. He was 7 1/2 lbs. Now he's 80 lbs.
http://i.imgur.com/nlsXaHi.jpg

He's some kind of hunting hound. Likes to fetch in water, more than anything. Probably half Pitbull.

He has knee troubles, possibly because I let him over-exert, when he was growing. Dogs under 40 lbs are much more likely to recover from knee injuries without surgery, so that's in a border terrier's favor. Apparently border terriers are prone to dash-off when unleashed-- which could be a problem. But they seem sturdy & smart.

This is the best training book I read. Pay no attention to the cheezy 'complete idiot's' title. That's just marketing. The first 2 years, they're still puppies, so dogs will have a short attention span & be more into playing than learning. But then they get serious & it's amazing how much they can learn.
Cool, he's solid! I love his colouring too. In the UK we have had a bit of hysteria over any dog with a "Pit Bull" look, mainly due to the chav (redneck) fashion of having a fierce looking dog as an accessory with no clue about responsible ownership, which has resulted in some tragic incidents where kids have been either seriously injured or even killed in some cases. I have looked at the rescue centres and they are full of Staffordshire Bull terrier type dogs, it's a great shame. I work in a rural area and travel to different places every day so I plan to take the dog with me most of the time, but my parents had a dog when I lived with them so I'm not completely new to it. A small dog was essential really and I've always liked borders, and they are sturdy as you say, The dash off factor is always going to be there with terriers that were designed to go to ground after a fox, rabbits or rats, so I will have to work on that during training, I'll check out that book, thanks.

I live alone too, so it's been on my radar for a while now, and it will be good for me to get out more, even if it's raining! The responsibility will do me good. :animals-dogrun:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Really? wrote:
He's so stupid. He said:
Nathan says
August 6, 2016 at 2:05 pm
The sociological definition of racism is prejudice + power. The dictionary definition is useless here (unless you’re white and racist and want an excuse to be). Privilege is intersectional.
People of color can be prejudiced, but they cannot be racist. I’m sure you don’t like that, but it’s fact.
Which led to this hilarious exchange:
robertbaden says
August 6, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Nathan,
So although my uncle (family is Mexican American) disowned his daughter for marrying a Mexican American with African heritage, he wasn’t racist? What if the family hadn’t left Mexico, and he was a member of the majority population and did the same thing? Does being one one side or the other of the Rio Grande determine whether his action was racist or not?
Vivec says
August 6, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Does being one one side or the other of the Rio Grande determine whether his action was racist or not?
Yes, absolutely.
Prejudice + Power requires societal power, which differs based on context. An Irish person has far more power in contemporary America than they did in 1800’s America, for example.
Nowadays, Irish are considered white, and no longer face the same marginalization as they used to -- and that Mexican and African Americans still continue to face. Thus, their social power has changed, and as has their ability to be racist.
If it can vary based on time, why not geography?
Hey, abear! Stop being disingenuous by introducing freethought at Freethought Blogs.
Nathan says
August 6, 2016 at 3:04 pm
OOH LOOK I’M GONNA GET A PZ-LIKE REPUTATION!
Abear has been banned!
Not all bears… just abear. Every other bear will be allowed to prove themselves worthy of commenting. But abear, in particular, was someone I just have no desire to deal with, disingenuous little shit that they are…
Holy shit is he fucking stupid. Had to say it. Racism changes by geography? WTF? At least he admits that people other than white can be racist. The Japanese (only in Japan), Africans (only in Africa), Muslims (only in their own countries). What a loon.

As others have pointed out, he seems to be using a definition of institutional racism (and not accepted by all sociologists - not sure what percentage believe this definition) for individual racism. Category error at the least. I'm sure he has more logical fallacies than that.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
It's time for everyone to speak out fearlessly against all the hate directed at Buddhists.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:Does Nathan really think that no people in non-western countries hate others due to bigotry? Is he really so naive not to see that any group teaches that it's OK to hate people they dislike for one reason or another?

If anything it's far less acceptable to hate Jews in the west than elsewhere (especially in Muslim majority countries) and I'd wager that the same is true for the disabled or skinny or fat people, and probably even vegans.
The SJWs have all but revived the meme of the noble savage. African blacks would never trade their fellow blacks to the white traders because all African blacks are a happy family. Muslims, ditto. Well ok they kill each other but that's al because the West did... something something.

However, likely due to a nagging conscience about our role as colonisers, as well as the slaughter of WWII, we've become far more aware of the problems of xenophobia and discrimination here in the West, than just about anywhere else, including the former colonies. And thus we've become much more careful in dealing with immigrants, homosexuals, the (mentally) handicapped etc. than even those former colonies. We've also decided to do away with the concept of witches and black magic.

Many years ago there was one of those war/starvation disasters in Africa- I forgot which, but let's say it was in country X. One columnist in a newspaper was wondering why our countries would only allow for a few thousand refugees from X, while for example neighbouring land Y had taken in some 100,000. What this reporter forgot was, that Y put all those refugees in a giant camp with scant facilities (arranged by the Red Cross of course), somewhere in a sort of desert and absolutely no prospect for the inhabitants of the camp to ever leave the confines of the camp and wandering into Y proper.

So while discrimination certainly exists and there's always place for improvement, let's not go overboard in self-flagellation.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Kirbmarc wrote:
He probably knows all of this, and is just trying to prove he's so much above the plebs by showing how he doesn't hate anyone (except cis-white-hetero men...but not really, he's a jokester).
I mean how could he hate cis white males beacuse - wait for it! - he is one!

So ironic and edgy! Oh Nathan, you're such a cardcunt.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Badger3k wrote:
Holy shit is he fucking stupid. Had to say it. Racism changes by geography? WTF? At least he admits that people other than white can be racist. The Japanese (only in Japan), Africans (only in Africa), Muslims (only in their own countries). What a loon.

As others have pointed out, he seems to be using a definition of institutional racism (and not accepted by all sociologists - not sure what percentage believe this definition) for individual racism. Category error at the least. I'm sure he has more logical fallacies than that.
What happens if a white American who is racist against black people goes to Kenya? He's in the minority and has no power, so can no longer be racist. When does the racism go away? At the airport? As the plane flies over the border? Where does the racism go, as it surely returns once the man is back in America. Is there some kind of racism escrow?

What happens to racism when borders change and a racist finds himself on the wrong side of the border?

There are so many questions...

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

So if the Aryan Nations decamp to Zimbabwe they are no longer racist.

Genius.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Fuckin' :nin: by Really.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tapir wrote:Fuckin' :nin: by Really.
Great minds think alike. These people don't.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

What happens if a white American who is racist against black people goes to Kenya? He's in the minority and has no power, so can no longer be racist. When does the racism go away? At the airport? As the plane flies over the border? Where does the racism go, as it surely returns once the man is back in America. Is there some kind of racism escrow?

What happens to racism when borders change and a racist finds himself on the wrong side of the border?

There are so many questions...
As it was told to me, even black Africans in power in Africa don't have power over whites because of colonialism and South Africa and Great White Hunters with money and shit. So black Africans can safely still hate whites, because of exploitation and what the fuck did vaccines and cars and clean water ever do for anybody, blacks really invented all that shit, white people took credit for it, apparently.