The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by deLurch »

Steersman wrote:Doesn't seem like a really good analogy,
OK. I got that.
Steersman wrote:seems to be entirely different kettles of fish. The face punching is, supposedly, a manifest fact; the accusation of harassment seems decidedly moot and quite subjective.
OMG. After years on the pit, you have actually entangled me into a debate.

But sadly, I can't decipher what the fuck you are saying.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

That picture is irrelevant - and completely misleads the conversation.

In fact it's a...

...never mind.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I don't care what 'science' says, Judge Dredd says bike cannons are effective and he is the Law.

http://www.theliberati.net/quaequamblog ... sterGo.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

d4m10n wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:Damion, I can understand people being annoyed by your posts, but for whatever it's worth, they don't look dishonest or intentionally annoying to me.
Thanks for that, maybe I'll visit the local Bahai center after all.
I'd rather go to Hawaii centre.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

feathers wrote:I'd rather go to Hawaii centre.
[youtube]b4jwprFiDeU[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

An interesting question for me.

I understand that Richard Carrier's fear response is the same as other that he has put in his position.

But does Richard Carrier understand that he is in the same exact position as the people he has targeted before?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Don't worry about Billie. He is the Pit's Socrates. The hemlock is on order.
Only Socrates actually admitted that he knew nothing.
He will soon put you on ignore because he deems you not to be on his level. This will cause him to often state nearly the same thing you do while pretending his statement is original and witty.

It's cool. It's what he's got.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:An interesting question for me.

I understand that Richard Carrier's fear response is the same as other that he has put in his position.

But does Richard Carrier understand that he is in the same exact position as the people he has targeted before?
Of course not, he is completely innocent.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

hippodown wrote:
savillecarrier1.png

hi pit. had some hours to kill so have attempted my first ever shoop. its a bit shit but occupied my mind for a while. inspired by and based on an ape-lust modern classic. the true pit art master.
I'm shit at photoshop and creating arty stuff. My best attempt at a photo-shop creation was a "Slyme Pit logo", featuring Arnie (well, not Arnie, but a generic snarling pit bull) and some "graffiti-style Slyme Pit logo". The Pit denizens never seemed to go with it!

Really?

Post by Really? »

comhcinc wrote:

Of course not, he is completely innocent.
Exactly. Shermer and Radford totally deserved all they got because they don't treat women as well as Dick does.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

"Creepy Carrier"

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Carrier should be happy that we enjoy laughing at him more than tacking action.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Did somebody get caught in a Carrier drive-by?

http://imgur.com/bgGhSTY.jpg

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

No more than Benson does.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
hippodown wrote:
savillecarrier1.png

hi pit. had some hours to kill so have attempted my first ever shoop. its a bit shit but occupied my mind for a while. inspired by and based on an ape-lust modern classic. the true pit art master.
I'm shit at photoshop and creating arty stuff. My best attempt at a photo-shop creation was a "Slyme Pit logo", featuring Arnie (well, not Arnie, but a generic snarling pit bull) and some "graffiti-style Slyme Pit logo". The Pit denizens never seemed to go with it!

me too. i have just started playing around with gimp and blender. like the aron ra video i made, i know my work is shit but im finding it quite cathartic. when i saw aron arguments on feminism a few weeks back it annoyed me to the point that ijust had to do something to get it out of my system.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

* Rebecca Watson is too fucking lazy to make a difference.
* Michale Nugent has made pz myers a parapha.
At best we have the "whisper network" to deal with. Which only really affects Skepitcon and maybe the SSA.

We are all but done.

Really?

Post by Really? »

From our Christian friends, who see the situation more clearly than PZ:
Richard Carrier, the man who has long bashed Christians as “anti-women,” presents ultimatums and threatens to expose the secret sex lives of the women he once “expressed interest in.” How do you like those for secular values?

Carrier once wrote, ” To call polyamory, which is about honesty and love and the assurance of consent, “sin” is just to expose how immoral Christianity has become as an ideology.” It’s difficult not to laugh at the self-absorbed, delusional essence of this posturing coming from a 46-old man who got booted as a speaker of the SSA and at Skepticon because of his obsession with finding young “lovers” and who now, according to PZ, threatens to humiliate those who were offended by his attempts to get them to join his love family.
https://shadowtolight.wordpress.com/201 ... gone-wild/

I just had a great idea. Why don't we start Atheism 2007? Everything is the way it was in 2007, except Randi can be out of the closet. Hitchens was alive. Conventions were thriving. We were fighting creationists instead of the literally mentally ill like Elyse. You can have bordello parties at conventions and fuck all you like and it's an unofficial sideline to the convention, not the reason Miri and Greta and the poly witch hunters go to conventions. The talks at atheism and skepticism conferences will be about atheism and skepticism.

What do you say? Are you going to choose Atheism 2007? Or atheism I Have Many Girlfriends, Some of Whom Like Being Choked?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Really? wrote:
Exactly. Shermer and Radford totally deserved all they got because they don't treat women as well as Dick does.
It's totally different.

Women (AFAB only) love the Dick.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Ape+lust wrote:Did somebody get caught in a Carrier drive-by?

http://imgur.com/bgGhSTY.jpg
Urgh. Carrier's cream looks particularly stodgy, there. Must have hurt shooting that crusty stuff out.

Now come on - it has to be fucking true that Carrier is threatening to "spill the beans" on his encounters with Watson. The Commander is VERY EXCITED at this prospect. Any chance Watson gets trashed with Carrier's contamination is good news for me, and humanity.

Dave

Post by Dave »

deLurch wrote:"Creepy Carrier"
Many years ago, at a wedding, I ran across this guy who told a great story about being propositioned by a couple, to be paid $60k to live in a cage in their livingroom for a year. (At the time, $60K was a fair bit of money to anyone, not just Carrier.) He built it up talking about what he would be expected to wear, do, why he turned it down (he wasnt sure what to put on his resume for that year) yadda yadda. Im sure it was all bullshit, he was probably trying to freak out the squares from the East Coast, but it was an entertaining way to pass the time over a few beers.

These days Carrier reminds me of that story. I keep imagining him living in a cage in Metskas and Bruinsman's livingroom.

Im sorry if thats poly-shaming of me, but the image amuses the fuck out of me.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

Dave wrote:
Many years ago, at a wedding, I ran across this guy who told a great story about being propositioned by a couple, to be paid $60k to live in a cage in their livingroom for a year. (At the time, $60K was a fair bit of money to anyone, not just Carrier.) He built it up talking about what he would be expected to wear, do, why he turned it down (he wasnt sure what to put on his resume for that year) yadda yadda. Im sure it was all bullshit, he was probably trying to freak out the squares from the East Coast, but it was an entertaining way to pass the time over a few beers.

These days Carrier reminds me of that story. I keep imagining him living in a cage in Metskas and Bruinsman's livingroom.

tusk.jpg
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

hippodown wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
hippodown wrote:
savillecarrier1.png

me too. i have just started playing around with gimp and blender. like the aron ra video i made, i know my work is shit but im finding it quite cathartic. when i saw aron arguments on feminism a few weeks back it annoyed me to the point that ijust had to do something to get it out of my system.

Your first? That's pretty good :clap: :D

Now do it again. And again. And again. Pure bullheadedness is 90% of what it takes to wrangle GIMP like a pro.

My first shoop is also on this site. You can find it in the image archives. It's seriously crap :lol:

Really?

Post by Really? »

This is ridiculous. Look who is talking at this year's Skepticon:
WHY I CELEBRATE THE DAY I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HERPES
http://www.mtv.com/news/2872779/why-i-c ... th-herpes/
On May 9, I will commemorate a very important anniversary. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with genital herpes.

When I tell people I honor my herpes anniversary, or “herpiversary” for short, I’m usually met with surprise and disgust. In a best-case scenario, my conversation partner looks at me like I’m a few characters short of a clever tweet — why on earth would I celebrate contracting an STI? In a worst-case scenario, they demand to know why I’m proud of ruining my body with such promiscuous, degenerate antics — a reaction that usually comes from conservatives on Twitter, enraged that I am making noise on the Internet at all.

I don’t celebrate the fact I have herpes. When I honor the day I was diagnosed with herpes, I celebrate the fact that I am still here today. Despite a world that wants to convince me my sexually transmitted infection makes me worthless, I am an ambitious, vocal, and happy badass, and I am alive and well. I’m not proud of having herpes, but I refuse to be ashamed of it. It’s a distinction that seems to baffle critics.

May 9, 2013 was arguably the worst day of my life. I don’t often admit this, because doing so runs the risk of reinforcing the worst myths people believe about herpes — that contracting an STI ruins your life, that it changes everything. But I don’t want to lie about it, either.

At around 7 that morning, I woke up with a dim awareness that something was wrong with my body. My hands groped under the sheets to feel my skin and discover an unfamiliar eruption of furious red bumps. I don’t remember much of that day now, the memory overcast by a white haze of painkillers, but these are the details I still have: the walls of my college campus’s ob-gyn’s office seeming to close in; calling my mother in the rain as I walked to Rite Aid to pick up Valtrex; my roommate and her friend staring at me wide-eyed as I joked about having new material as a sex writer.

Mostly I remember my partner — hardly the right word for the teenage boy I’d spent the last three weeks falling helplessly in puppy love with — begging me to tell him what was wrong. “I can’t just go about my day when the girl I care about is crying on the phone,” he said, and for a fragile moment everything seemed like it might be OK. His tone changed as soon as I gasped the word “herpes,” though. He cared about me a lot less after that.

That day marked a turning point in my life, and not because it taught me about dating Patrick Bateman wannabes or asking my doctor exactly what I was being tested for when I peed into a plastic cup. I’ve learned a tremendous amount in the last three years about the way our society sees sexually transmitted infections like herpes (spoiler alert: It’s not good). STIs carry a pervasive and largely invisible social stigma. It’s still acceptable to make jokes about herpes as something one gets from having sex with Chuck Bass, or picks up in Vegas during a wild bachelor party weekend. “I hope she gives you herpes,” teenage girls scrawl in their notebooks about ex-boyfriends who have left them for someone who wears heavier lipstick.

People with herpes are dismissed as irresponsible, immoral, unfaithful, and damaged — and women with herpes have it even worse. Our sexuality is already policed by impossible double standards and considered threatening to society outside of the confines of marriage before adding an STI into the mix. Before I was diagnosed, I was considered a prude as a high school freshman who didn’t sleep with her first boyfriend, then a slut as a college sophomore who made out with a friend’s crush at Psi U. Now, as a young professional with genital herpes, I am considered a diseased menace for using Tinder to date in Brooklyn.

My diagnosis added a new layer of meaning to these tropes: My body became dangerous and unruly. On May 9, 2013, I was told I deserved less than everyone else. At the time, I felt lucky to have a boyfriend who called me a whore, because at least he was still willing to touch me. Reaching the fall of 2013 was a daily challenge. I never once considered taking my life, but I woke up each morning and reminded myself of who I was: Ella Dawson, 21, a student of Wesleyan University, a daughter, a writer, and a fighter. Unlearning the lesson of STI stigma took months of intentional work, but eventually I left that unhealthy relationship and added “survivor” to the list. A few months later, I began to do STI stigma-reduction work and added “activist.”

On my first herpiversary in May 2014, my roommates baked me a chocolate cake with an “H” written in red icing. I celebrated by having a ton of sex with my new, kind boyfriend and eating slices of the cake in bed, filling the sheets with soft, warm crumbs. My skin belonged to me again. I was rebuilding my confidence, my identity fragile but intact.

A few days before, I had given a presentation about STI stigma for my cultural psychology seminar. I asked my classmates to raise their hands if they had ever had an STI, and I alone reached my fingers to the ceiling. It was an exhilarating first step toward owning my STI status in public. After class, my professor told me that my presentation was the bravest thing he had ever seen. Although none of my fellow students publicly disclosed that day, many of them approached me in private over the next few years to confess that my presentation had changed their lives. It turns out I was far from the only herpes-positive person in that room — a perhaps unsurprising fact given that herpes is a common skin condition and 2 in 3 people in the world have HSV-1, the same strain of herpes that I do.

My second anniversary in 2015 was surreal. An essay I’d written three weeks before about dating with herpes had gone viral, and I was a newly minted Internet celebrity. Suddenly I wasn’t alone anymore: The global herpes community supported me as I figured out who I was and what our virus meant. But I felt overexposed and exhausted. I celebrated quietly over a burger and a beer with a coworker that day, but in another few months I would be the top trending story on BuzzFeed, an article about me read by half a million people. Internet harassment from the dark corners of Reddit soon became a daily reality — not because I had herpes, but because I was a woman with a voice. Their insults sound a lot like my ex-boyfriend did, but I know better than to believe them now.

Three years in, I understand why this day matters so much. When I was diagnosed with herpes, I didn’t stop being the girl I was the day before. I still love hate-watching The Bachelor and writing thinly veiled feminist erotica about the men I have crushes on. I drink too much Diet Coke and I fire off snarky tweets and I freak out when someone doesn’t answer my text message right away. It turns out joking that I’m “Internet famous for having herpes” is a great way to impress guys in bars while casually disclosing my STI status.

On May 9, 2013, I started to become the woman I am supposed to be. I am strong and powerful, with plenty to say and all of the words to say it right. I know what it’s like to be told that I should hate myself and decide, “You know what? No.”

On May 9, I celebrate myself.
No, she and others in her community should not live in constant shame, but is this the right message to send?

(And I'm kidding about her talking at Skepticon, but she did do a TED talk and is it really that far out of the realm of possibility?)

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

No. Because he's Richard Carrier & had good reasons for doing whatever he did. Those others were bad people with bad motives. He has a half dozen reasons why the situations are totally incomparable & will ignore or evade the obvious like Damion after a Starbucks double shot if pressed. IOWWDI runs deep with his mindset.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

The whole poly-as-special-snowflake thing...

:lol:

As if everyone else isn't also attracted to many people. We just resist the urge if we aren't single. Or we cheat, like Carrier and half the population, but if we do then we don't pull a completely gratuitous "Tiger Woods" (yes, world, I suffer from sex addiction am polyamorous and society victimized me by forcing me into a monogamous marriage, and so I slept with women other than my wife and lied to her about it, but in my case that's not "cheating" because I was just an oppressed person fighting against my oppression, like Django fighting back against his slavers.)

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

Ape+lust wrote: Your first? That's pretty good :clap: :D

Now do it again. And again. And again. Pure bullheadedness is 90% of what it takes to wrangle GIMP like a pro.

My first shoop is also on this site. You can find it in the image archives. It's seriously crap :lol:

thanks ape. it is quite addictive when you start a project, isnt it? ill keep practising definately but i think it takes more than that. you are obviously a very naturally gifted artist. me, not so much.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

One of my earliest attempts at Pit Art. I have not improved any.

Not brilliant as the dog doesn't look that much like ARNIE. I have not improved any.

http://i.imgur.com/NeE0f.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

hippodown wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: Your first? That's pretty good :clap: :D

thanks ape. it is quite addictive when you start a project, isnt it? ill keep practising definately but i think it takes more than that. you are obviously a very naturally gifted artist. me, not so much.
Ape is a fucking genius. The rest of us are all drooling hacks by comparison. Bastard :D

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Really? wrote:This is ridiculous. Look who is talking at this year's Skepticon:

No, she and others in her community should not live in constant shame, but is this the right message to send?

(And I'm kidding about her talking at Skepticon, but she did do a TED talk and is it really that far out of the realm of possibility?)
Ugh, MTV. Take a look at what Gawker's up to.

Horse Genitals Taste of Hay and More Curious Delights from a Horsefucker

http://imgur.com/Zl5dluX.jpg

And of course, Salon is where you go to read pleas for "understanding" pedophiles.

Everybody's so hellbent on proving they're enlightened and open-minded they've become like those groupies who marry serial killers. Fucking insane.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Dave wrote:

Any chance you could run that couple down? No rush or anything.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Ape+lust wrote:

And of course, Salon is where you go to read pleas for "understanding" pedophiles.

Everybody's so hellbent on proving they're enlightened and open-minded they've become like those groupies who marry serial killers. Fucking insane.
Has anyone accounted for Matt's whereabouts

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Really? wrote:This is ridiculous. Look who is talking at this year's Skepticon:
On May 9, I will commemorate a very important anniversary. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with genital herpes.

When I tell people I honor my herpes anniversary, or “herpiversary” for short, I’m usually met with surprise and disgust. In a best-case scenario, my conversation partner looks at me like I’m a few characters short of a clever tweet — why on earth would I celebrate contracting an STI? In a worst-case scenario, they demand to know why I’m proud of ruining my body with such promiscuous, degenerate antics — a reaction that usually comes from conservatives on Twitter, enraged that I am making noise on the Internet at all.

I don’t celebrate the fact I have herpes. When I honor the day I was diagnosed with herpes, I celebrate the fact that I am still here today. Despite a world that wants to convince me my sexually transmitted infection makes me worthless, I am an ambitious, vocal, and happy badass, and I am alive and well. I’m not proud of having herpes, but I refuse to be ashamed of it. It’s a distinction that seems to baffle critics.

May 9, 2013 was arguably the worst day of my life. I don’t often admit this, because doing so runs the risk of reinforcing the worst myths people believe about herpes — that contracting an STI ruins your life, that it changes everything. But I don’t want to lie about it, either.

At around 7 that morning, I woke up with a dim awareness that something was wrong with my body. My hands groped under the sheets to feel my skin and discover an unfamiliar eruption of furious red bumps. I don’t remember much of that day now, the memory overcast by a white haze of painkillers, but these are the details I still have: the walls of my college campus’s ob-gyn’s office seeming to close in; calling my mother in the rain as I walked to Rite Aid to pick up Valtrex; my roommate and her friend staring at me wide-eyed as I joked about having new material as a sex writer.

Mostly I remember my partner — hardly the right word for the teenage boy I’d spent the last three weeks falling helplessly in puppy love with — begging me to tell him what was wrong. “I can’t just go about my day when the girl I care about is crying on the phone,” he said, and for a fragile moment everything seemed like it might be OK. His tone changed as soon as I gasped the word “herpes,” though. He cared about me a lot less after that.

That day marked a turning point in my life, and not because it taught me about dating Patrick Bateman wannabes or asking my doctor exactly what I was being tested for when I peed into a plastic cup. I’ve learned a tremendous amount in the last three years about the way our society sees sexually transmitted infections like herpes (spoiler alert: It’s not good). STIs carry a pervasive and largely invisible social stigma. It’s still acceptable to make jokes about herpes as something one gets from having sex with Chuck Bass, or picks up in Vegas during a wild bachelor party weekend. “I hope she gives you herpes,” teenage girls scrawl in their notebooks about ex-boyfriends who have left them for someone who wears heavier lipstick.

People with herpes are dismissed as irresponsible, immoral, unfaithful, and damaged — and women with herpes have it even worse. Our sexuality is already policed by impossible double standards and considered threatening to society outside of the confines of marriage before adding an STI into the mix. Before I was diagnosed, I was considered a prude as a high school freshman who didn’t sleep with her first boyfriend, then a slut as a college sophomore who made out with a friend’s crush at Psi U. Now, as a young professional with genital herpes, I am considered a diseased menace for using Tinder to date in Brooklyn.

My diagnosis added a new layer of meaning to these tropes: My body became dangerous and unruly. On May 9, 2013, I was told I deserved less than everyone else. At the time, I felt lucky to have a boyfriend who called me a whore, because at least he was still willing to touch me. Reaching the fall of 2013 was a daily challenge. I never once considered taking my life, but I woke up each morning and reminded myself of who I was: Ella Dawson, 21, a student of Wesleyan University, a daughter, a writer, and a fighter. Unlearning the lesson of STI stigma took months of intentional work, but eventually I left that unhealthy relationship and added “survivor” to the list. A few months later, I began to do STI stigma-reduction work and added “activist.”

On my first herpiversary in May 2014, my roommates baked me a chocolate cake with an “H” written in red icing. I celebrated by having a ton of sex with my new, kind boyfriend and eating slices of the cake in bed, filling the sheets with soft, warm crumbs. My skin belonged to me again. I was rebuilding my confidence, my identity fragile but intact.

A few days before, I had given a presentation about STI stigma for my cultural psychology seminar. I asked my classmates to raise their hands if they had ever had an STI, and I alone reached my fingers to the ceiling. It was an exhilarating first step toward owning my STI status in public. After class, my professor told me that my presentation was the bravest thing he had ever seen. Although none of my fellow students publicly disclosed that day, many of them approached me in private over the next few years to confess that my presentation had changed their lives. It turns out I was far from the only herpes-positive person in that room — a perhaps unsurprising fact given that herpes is a common skin condition and 2 in 3 people in the world have HSV-1, the same strain of herpes that I do.

My second anniversary in 2015 was surreal. An essay I’d written three weeks before about dating with herpes had gone viral, and I was a newly minted Internet celebrity. Suddenly I wasn’t alone anymore: The global herpes community supported me as I figured out who I was and what our virus meant. But I felt overexposed and exhausted. I celebrated quietly over a burger and a beer with a coworker that day, but in another few months I would be the top trending story on BuzzFeed, an article about me read by half a million people. Internet harassment from the dark corners of Reddit soon became a daily reality — not because I had herpes, but because I was a woman with a voice. Their insults sound a lot like my ex-boyfriend did, but I know better than to believe them now.

Three years in, I understand why this day matters so much. When I was diagnosed with herpes, I didn’t stop being the girl I was the day before. I still love hate-watching The Bachelor and writing thinly veiled feminist erotica about the men I have crushes on. I drink too much Diet Coke and I fire off snarky tweets and I freak out when someone doesn’t answer my text message right away. It turns out joking that I’m “Internet famous for having herpes” is a great way to impress guys in bars while casually disclosing my STI status.

On May 9, 2013, I started to become the woman I am supposed to be. I am strong and powerful, with plenty to say and all of the words to say it right. I know what it’s like to be told that I should hate myself and decide, “You know what? No.”

On May 9, I celebrate myself.

What the fuck does this have to do with skepticism? At this point it really is a case of cultural appropriation. The words "atheism, "skepticism", & "secularism" are just flags they've captured after a sneak invasion. The pretense isn't even there anymore.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Shatterface wrote:

Benson has mentioned once or twice that she might be able to understand the anti-SJW crowd. She'll never come right out and say the pit has a valid point though, even Nugent won't do that and in Benson's case there's far more bad blood. But fuck em. Team witch hunter knew what they were doing wasn't just issuing a grievance but rather declaring war. They just never figured they'd end up losing.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Easy J wrote:
Dave wrote:

Any chance you could run that couple down? No rush or anything.
Unlikely. I dont even remember the name of the bloke who told the story. (I do remember that both he and I were hitting on the same girl at the wedding, but thats not going to help track him down.)

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby wrote:Ape is a fucking genius. The rest of us are all drooling hacks by comparison. Bastard :D
The secrets to being a fucking genius: missionary, doggy-style, and staying awake after you're done :D

Thank you, Gumby! What I do wouldn't measure above an intermediate Photoshopper, though.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Indian airport authority oppresses lezzers.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsp ... carpet.jpg

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

jet_lagg wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

Benson has mentioned once or twice that she might be able to understand the anti-SJW crowd. She'll never come right out and say the pit has a valid point though, even Nugent won't do that and in Benson's case there's far more bad blood. But fuck em. Team witch hunter knew what they were doing wasn't just issuing a grievance but rather declaring war. They just never figured they'd end up losing.
Benson can fuck the fuck right off. How's her blog doing these days? Haven't read it in 5 years. A bit like most people in the A/S community. There was a time when you'd see the wider humanist community link to Butterflies and Wheels, but not any more. Ha ha ha! I remember seeing her name still listed in the blogroll at Harry's Place, and thinking, what the fuck is she still listed for. She is a traitor to liberal values, the type that HP stands for.

Like Twatson, I want Benson's income to suffer sufficiently so that they can't afford their typically privileged SJW middle class lifestyles, any more. I want them to suffer. Did I mention that? Attacking their blogs and Patron revenue is the first line of attack.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

deLurch wrote:A few good shows out.

* 12 Monkeys (time travel show) has been doing extremely well, but seems not to be getting the attention it deserves from SciFi fans.
* Preacher is a few episodes in, and is very entertaining. Off beat comic based superhero type show.
If you like this actor, you will love this show.
https://i.sli.mg/DVU7qo.jpg
* Braindead (Alien insects are taking over the brains of DC bureaucrats). Could have been preachy. Instead they just made it funny. I haven't been disappointed in an episode yet.
Yup, I just binge-watched "Preacher" and now I'm hooked.

Cheers for the suggestion :D

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Apropos T-series tanks, for you armour buffs out there, here's a video of 'Arena', the Russian active defence system for shaped charges and subsonic projectiles. The theory is, composite armour is increasingly ineffective against sophisticated staged warheads found in modern ATGM's, but is still satisfactory for tungsten or DU kinetic energy rounds.

[youtube]YpmcmKwWzYo[/youtube]

It utilises a radar that scans around the tank (but not the rear, which is the crunchie safety area) which is triggered by projectiles meeting engagement criteria - it then launches a tupperware sized charge out in the relevant sector which goes boom, hopefully killing the incoming projectile.

A lot of armies have similar solutions; Israel's is a lot more elaborate and uses a directional weapon a bit like a shotgun.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:My daughter's best friend was going to Italy for the school holidays. As you do.

Daughter got a text last night - "OMG our plane caught on fire"

This was the incident.

:shock:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/image/29 ... e-fire.jpg

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 07544.html
Holy Crap! They should've used duct tape.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Before anybody begins crying too many tears, crocodile or otherwise for poor Carrier, ask yourself how exactly is he fucked? He isn't going to jail, he wasn't beat up and his many girlfriends haven't publicly disowned him. He is being held to standards he advocated and held others to, trying to ruin their careers and reputation. He can still write books, McDonald's doesn't look too deeply at resumes, AFAIK.

And we really didn't do much. They seemed absolutely primed to go after Carrier. There were hints and in that kind of atmosphere, it is inevitable that any slip up will result in a big splash.

Finally, we don't even know if he is innocent. He has terrible judgement about what's appropriate or not, and he may well be guilty. There might have been dozens of girls that were creeped out by his advances, and simply didn't report his awkward attempts to bang them. Skepticon in particular had some damning language.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Sulman wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

Has anyone accounted for Matt's whereabouts
http://imgur.com/yqMPZrG.jpg

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

So, when did James Randi and Jennifer McWrong get it on?

http://imgur.com/yqMPZrG.jpg

jimmyfromchicago

Post by jimmyfromchicago »

comhcinc wrote:
jimmyfromchicago wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Don't worry about Billie. He is the Pit's Socrates. The hemlock is on order.
Only Socrates actually admitted that he knew nothing.
He will soon put you on ignore because he deems you not to be on his level. This will cause him to often state nearly the same thing you do while pretending his statement is original and witty.

It's cool. It's what he's got.
Socrates is going to put me on ignore and copy my posts?

I'm so confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John D

Post by John D »

Sulman wrote:Apropos T-series tanks, for you armour buffs out there, here's a video of 'Arena', the Russian active defence system for shaped charges and subsonic projectiles. The theory is, composite armour is increasingly ineffective against sophisticated staged warheads found in modern ATGM's, but is still satisfactory for tungsten or DU kinetic energy rounds.

[youtube]YpmcmKwWzYo[/youtube]

It utilises a radar that scans around the tank (but not the rear, which is the crunchie safety area) which is triggered by projectiles meeting engagement criteria - it then launches a tupperware sized charge out in the relevant sector which goes boom, hopefully killing the incoming projectile.

A lot of armies have similar solutions; Israel's is a lot more elaborate and uses a directional weapon a bit like a shotgun.
That's fucking cool. I have never seen that system before. I don't recommend throwing anything like a baseball around that tank.... it might think you are an incoming attacker and blow you to bits.

I can see it now.

Tanker sitting in the turret : "Hey Sam... toss me my water bottle.... I left it on the workbench."

Sam: "Sure Charlie... here... catch!"

Tank: BLAM

Charlie "Sam?"

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

jet_lagg wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

Ophelia: I always knew they were right, but fuck 'em :lol:

http://imgur.com/z83eWKD.jpg

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

The AMC Preacher series deviated too much from the graphic novel for my tastes. I was biting my tongue, because my wife (who's never read the comic) was watching as well, and didn't want to be that guy who ruins things by shouting about being true to the source material. Any fans of the comic who also like the series?

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Benson can fuck the fuck right off. How's her blog doing these days? Haven't read it in 5 years. A bit like most people in the A/S community. There was a time when you'd see the wider humanist community link to Butterflies and Wheels, but not any more. Ha ha ha! I remember seeing her name still listed in the blogroll at Harry's Place, and thinking, what the fuck is she still listed for. She is a traitor to liberal values, the type that HP stands for.

Like Twatson, I want Benson's income to suffer sufficiently so that they can't afford their typically privileged SJW middle class lifestyles, any more. I want them to suffer. Did I mention that? Attacking their blogs and Patron revenue is the first line of attack.
Oafie is a trust fund gargoyle. She's above the concerns of lowly working folk. Blogging is just a vent for her haughty unease with an unseemly universe.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:Perhaps most importantly, will the Christian groups he's debated still work with him?
Hell yes. It is a mutually beneficial relationship. The debates promote both Richard's work and the debater's work. Plus Richard is deemed the clear loser at least some of the time. Richard isn't just arguing that Jesus isn't some magical being. He isn't just arguing that the Jesus birth scene isn't a fable. He isn't just arguing that the crucifixion has no record. He is arguing that Jesus didn't even exit as a person. He is gold to them as the wacky atheist who believes all sorts of dopey stuff for dopey reason and doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.
Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD. doesn't just argue that Jesus didn't exist, he argues that all the early christians believed Jesus was crucified in Heaven.

I'm sure Damion would be happy to fill us in on the thorough research this excellent scholar used to arrive at this conclusion.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Farage, true to form, thumbing his nose in the lions den...

[youtube]ayojl7Op37A[/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Before anybody begins crying too many tears, crocodile or otherwise for poor Carrier, ask yourself how exactly is he fucked? He isn't going to jail, he wasn't beat up and his many girlfriends haven't publicly disowned him. He is being held to standards he advocated and held others to, trying to ruin their careers and reputation. He can still write books, McDonald's doesn't look too deeply at resumes, AFAIK.

And we really didn't do much. They seemed absolutely primed to go after Carrier. There were hints and in that kind of atmosphere, it is inevitable that any slip up will result in a big splash.

Finally, we don't even know if he is innocent. He has terrible judgement about what's appropriate or not, and he may well be guilty. There might have been dozens of girls that were creeped out by his advances, and simply didn't report his awkward attempts to bang them. Skepticon in particular had some damning language.
Unfortunately Carrier will probably end up like Benson, spending the next five years of his life wandering in the desert, wondering why the Gilded City doesn't realize its errors and throw open its gates for his triumphant vindication and celebrated return. Well, the city is going to die before that ever happens. They would both be better just radically changing gears and doing something else, something productive, with their lives.

They won't.

John D

Post by John D »

Ape+lust wrote:

Dear Ophie: Politeness is the cheapest of virtues.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Before anybody begins crying too many tears, crocodile or otherwise for poor Carrier, ask yourself how exactly is he fucked? He isn't going to jail, he wasn't beat up and his many girlfriends haven't publicly disowned him. He is being held to standards he advocated and held others to, trying to ruin their careers and reputation. He can still write books, McDonald's doesn't look too deeply at resumes, AFAIK.

This stuff hasn't done doodly to his Patreon account. It'll take something more to dislodge his fans.

http://imgur.com/yxUiPjA.jpg

http://imgur.com/sZWOkJh.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote:From our Christian friends, who see the situation more clearly than PZ:
Richard Carrier, the man who has long bashed Christians as “anti-women,” presents ultimatums and threatens to expose the secret sex lives of the women he once “expressed interest in.” How do you like those for secular values?

Carrier once wrote, ” To call polyamory, which is about honesty and love and the assurance of consent, “sin” is just to expose how immoral Christianity has become as an ideology.” It’s difficult not to laugh at the self-absorbed, delusional essence of this posturing coming from a 46-old man who got booted as a speaker of the SSA and at Skepticon because of his obsession with finding young “lovers” and who now, according to PZ, threatens to humiliate those who were offended by his attempts to get them to join his love family.
https://shadowtolight.wordpress.com/201 ... gone-wild/

I just had a great idea. Why don't we start Atheism 2007? Everything is the way it was in 2007, except Randi can be out of the closet. Hitchens was alive. Conventions were thriving. We were fighting creationists instead of the literally mentally ill like Elyse. You can have bordello parties at conventions and fuck all you like and it's an unofficial sideline to the convention, not the reason Miri and Greta and the poly witch hunters go to conventions. The talks at atheism and skepticism conferences will be about atheism and skepticism.

What do you say? Are you going to choose Atheism 2007? Or atheism I Have Many Girlfriends, Some of Whom Like Being Choked?
So, what your saying is, atheist activism is like MS Windows releases?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt wrote:
Unfortunately Carrier will probably end up like Benson, spending the next five years of his life wandering in the desert, wondering why the Gilded City doesn't realize its errors and throw open its gates for his triumphant vindication and celebrated return. Well, the city is going to die before that ever happens. They would both be better just radically changing gears and doing something else, something productive, with their lives.

They won't.
If you want to get allegorical - Carrier is the prodigal son - and Zvan is even now greasing up for her role as the fatted calf.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:Perhaps most importantly, will the Christian groups he's debated still work with him?
Hell yes. It is a mutually beneficial relationship. The debates promote both Richard's work and the debater's work. Plus Richard is deemed the clear loser at least some of the time. Richard isn't just arguing that Jesus isn't some magical being. He isn't just arguing that the Jesus birth scene isn't a fable. He isn't just arguing that the crucifixion has no record. He is arguing that Jesus didn't even exit as a person. He is gold to them as the wacky atheist who believes all sorts of dopey stuff for dopey reason and doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.
Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD. doesn't just argue that Jesus didn't exist, he argues that all the early christians believed Jesus was crucified in Heaven.

I'm sure Damion would be happy to fill us in on the thorough research this excellent scholar used to arrive at this conclusion.
Sure thing. Which paper are you looking at?
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:We've established that your ethics-free hive queen allowed her sleazy lounge lizard of a fuck toy access to girls under her charge of an age range he said he'd like to score with.

You mean 18-y.o.'s, right? If you mean 16-17, then it must've happened at some other camp, outside of California.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:You're not dumb enough to miss the point here. Meaning you're intentionally misdirecting. Meaning you're a massive, gaping cunt.
It's right in the sig.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Ape+lust wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

She doesn't take into account how much of that "harassment" was actually just retaliation for smears issued from her very public platform, and even then only after polite concerns were rudely dismissed.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sulman wrote: Has anyone accounted for Matt's whereabouts
I swear I've only had sex with one woman since Clinton won the California primary.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:CBAs will typically require a panel consisting of a union-side rep, an employer-side rep, and a neutral third party, or employee and management can present their cases to a neutral arbitrator.
Billie from Ockham wrote:She was tenure-track at Mizzou. Feel free to tell us what type of collective bargaining applies in that case. Or were you just bringing up something that you know is irrelevant as a distraction, Damion?
jimmyfromchicago wrote:Non-tenured faculty (including those on tenure track) at a public university are typically included in the faculty bargaining unit and covered by the CBA.
You're getting better at this, Damion. The way that you switched the question from tenure-track at Mizzou to non-tenured at a public university was quite smooth. (This would allow you to cite the collective bargaining that occurs at little state schools and community colleges, as if that has anything to do with Click.) Too bad that I'm pretty careful about how I word my sentences (typos not-with-standing). So I'll just patiently wait for you to provide evidence that tenure-tracks at Mizzou have collective bargaining and ignore this attempt to derail.