The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
d4m10n

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by d4m10n »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Dunno, but sure I don't want the details. I am more concerned why they would keep a dudebro on the payroll that openly bragged about banging students then shuffle semantics when there's a complaint. Damion is pretty much beneath our concern except as a bountiful lolcow.
What exactly did Amanda do wrong?
Carrier. Bragged about banging students. Kept him anyway. Volunteer, speaker. Complaint. Didn't immediately separate Carrier from org. SSA corrupt. Fucking Carrier. Conflict of interest.
Fucking Carrier may be unhealthy, but it isn't wrong.

Keeping him as a volunteer at CQ after breach of ethics? Unproven.

SSA isn't Amanda's gig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
d4m10n wrote: What exactly did Amanda do wrong?
It's less a question of what than who.
Slut shaming FTW

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

d4m10n wrote: Sarcasm somehow makes Nugent's critiques invalid. Amazing.
It doesn't help your position either. It has nothing to do with the stunt you pulled trying to get us to dox and then dodging.
No one other than "Spokesgay" and "Aratina" have had their names linked to their nyms on the Pit, so far as I'm aware. I didn't encourage either of those.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

d4m10n wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:We knew Hyena was poly, but turns out this Heba Krisht is too. At this point, I suspect pretty much all the SJW, A+ fucktards are all fucking each other in one, big fucktarded group grope network. Brive's computer would seize up, were he to try and make a flow chart of the bodily fluid exchanges.

Anyhoo, on a totally unrelated subject -- does anyone know why Damion is so keen on defending Amanda Metskas?
Dunno, but sure I don't want the details. I am more concerned why they would keep a dudebro on the payroll that openly bragged about banging students then shuffle semantics when there's a complaint. Damion is pretty much beneath our concern except as a bountiful lolcow.
:lol: I might be starting to see the problem here.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

jimhabegger wrote:We don't have to do this. All of these controversies are designed to keep us all running the treadmill.
Not everything that goes nowhere is to no purpose. Don't worry about it.
:lol: I'm finally starting to have some fun here.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

d4m10n wrote:
d4m10n wrote:snip
Carrier. Bragged about banging students. Kept him anyway. Volunteer, speaker. Complaint. Didn't immediately separate Carrier from org. SSA corrupt. Fucking Carrier. Conflict of interest.

SSA isn't Amanda's gig.

Unproven how? At the very least he was a volunteer driver. And he did brag about banging students, and yet he was still speaking. This is not something any professional org would tolerate.

Why so defensive? Stop with the SJW accusations and red herring crap. Be honest and be treated honestly.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

d4m10n wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Carrier. Bragged about banging students. Kept him anyway. Volunteer, speaker. Complaint. Didn't immediately separate Carrier from org. SSA corrupt. Fucking Carrier. Conflict of interest.

SSA isn't Amanda's gig.

Unproven how? At the very least he was a volunteer driver. And he did brag about banging students, and yet he was still speaking. This is not something any professional org would tolerate.

Why so defensive? Stop with the SJW accusations and red herring crap. Be honest and be treated honestly.
Honesty would require treating 20-something college students differently than 9-15 year olds, but I see you've lumped them all into one category.

CaptainFluffyBunny

d4m10n wrote:
d4m10n wrote: Sarcasm somehow makes Nugent's critiques invalid. Amazing.
It doesn't help your position either. It has nothing to do with the stunt you pulled trying to get us to dox and then dodging.
No one other than "Spokesgay" and "Aratina" have had their names linked to their nyms on the Pit, so far as I'm aware. I didn't encourage either of those.

You're going to pretend it didn't happen and you are absolutely innocent of trying to goad us into doxxing and then declaring to Twitter that the pit doxes. Okay.

Sent from my Necronomicon using StarsAlinged

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Spike13 wrote:The old waffle hat bunny gambit....who can argue with that? Well played...
I thank you, Xir. If only this weapon had been deployed during the Brexit campaign, I feel sure the UK would be waking up to a breakfast of croissants, several varieties of dried meat sausage,waffles and...whatever the fuck they eat in Slovakia.
Like this, perhaps?

http://i.imgur.com/C9CK8Qw.jpg?1

Courtesy of Anastasia Piliavsky:

Brexit, a still life

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Declaring to Twitter that Pitters reshared Cathy Brennan's doxes? That did actually happen.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Damion, you cannot answer anything honestly. When all of this hits some newspaper, don't be all bitchy. Mmm'kay?

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Looking forward to it. When they quote you, use your real name.

CaptainFluffyBunny

d4m10n wrote:Looking forward to it. When they quote you, use your real name.

Haha! I will give them yours. You seem quite the expert.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

d4m10n wrote:Looking forward to it. When they quote you, use your real name.

Haha! I will give them yours. You seem quite the expert.
Having actual interacted with both CQ and SSA puts me ahead of almost everyone here.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Northern Ireland is moving towards unification
Really? Has anyone informed the Unionists?
Wantin aint gettin.

Yeah this is a criticism of the Brexit I have seen a lot that I just don't get. Sure, SinnFein are using it as an excuse to talk about reunification with the South, almost like that's been their platform all along or something, but even the Southern Irish have acknowledged that they couldn't afford the giant economic millstone that is NI. Britain should be so lucky. I don't think people understand just how much NI costs to run or how little revenue it generates.

CaptainFluffyBunny

jimhabegger wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:snip Matt
Dunno, but sure I don't want the details. I am more concerned why they would keep a dudebro on the payroll that openly bragged about banging students then shuffle semantics when there's a complaint. Damion is pretty much beneath our concern except as a bountiful lolcow.
:lol: I might be starting to see the problem here.
Yes. You, sir, are a godbot. Not necessarily a problem, many of my friends suffer as well. I thought perhaps you had joined the pit to convert, or argue tediously. But on the whole you've been quite decent. You seem to have a good heart, for lack of a better word. I appreciate that.

Damion reveals his true self. He may think he is being clever, but he is just sad and slimy. I suppose the lesson being that just because somebody shares your beliefs, they don't always share your values.

Com will be quite disappointed in me, I am sure.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

jimhabegger wrote:We don't have to do this. All of these controversies are designed to keep us all running the treadmill.
The treadmill I had in mind was not the debating itself. What I had in mind was the consumer treadmill, reducing ourselves to the materialistic self-worshiping consumers, in a Darwinistic struggle for survival, that our educational systems and media make us out to be.

CaptainFluffyBunny

jimhabegger wrote:
The treadmill I had in mind was not the debating itself. What I had in mind was the consumer treadmill, reducing ourselves to the materialistic self-worshiping consumers, in a Darwinistic struggle for survival, that our educational systems and media make us out to be.
Nothing to be done on the pit about that. Only worry about things that you can impact or that amuse you.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Cnutella wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Northern Ireland is moving towards unification
Really? Has anyone informed the Unionists?
Wantin aint gettin.

Yeah this is a criticism of the Brexit I have seen a lot that I just don't get. Sure, SinnFein are using it as an excuse to talk about reunification with the South, almost like that's been their platform all along or something, but even the Southern Irish have acknowledged that they couldn't afford the giant economic millstone that is NI. Britain should be so lucky. I don't think people understand just how much NI costs to run or how little revenue it generates.
They could always ask Germany on how (not) to do it.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Eskarina wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Spike13 wrote:The old waffle hat bunny gambit....who can argue with that? Well played...
I thank you, Xir. If only this weapon had been deployed during the Brexit campaign, I feel sure the UK would be waking up to a breakfast of croissants, several varieties of dried meat sausage,waffles and...whatever the fuck they eat in Slovakia.
Like this, perhaps?

http://i.imgur.com/C9CK8Qw.jpg?1

Brexit, a still life
That can o beans ran one of the largest empires the world has ever seen. ( and spent most d her time playing all that other stuff against one another)

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

comhcinc wrote:This is the top of Reddit right now.

http://i.imgur.com/1BG7qNi.jpg

"Welcoming party for Donald Trump's visit to Scotland"

Remember, it's okay when we do it.
Cultural appropriation!!!1!one!

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Spike13 wrote:
Eskarina wrote:Like this, perhaps?

[img]1[/img]

Brexit, a still life
That can o beans ran one of the largest empires the world has ever seen. ( and spent most d her time playing all that other stuff against one another)
Ah, nostalgia. Pining for the fjords.

Keating

Post by Keating »

One of the most interesting things I remember about my time in the UK, was the number of French wineries buying up land in South England. Due to climate change, they felt the best wineries would be there in the near future, and they wanted to start cultivating grapes there. English wine was starting to be pretty good.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I have that exact bottle of balsamic vinegar. Grocery Outlet.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Keating wrote:One of the most interesting things I remember about my time in the UK, was the number of French wineries buying up land in South England. Due to climate change, they felt the best wineries would be there in the near future, and they wanted to start cultivating grapes there. English wine was starting to be pretty good.
Supposedly during the medieval warm period, southern England had excellent wineries.

Stands to reason it might again.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

d4m10n wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
d4m10n wrote: What exactly did Amanda do wrong?
It's less a question of what than who.
Slut shaming FTW

It's not about her being a slut, rather that she has no shame.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Spike13 wrote:
Keating wrote:One of the most interesting things I remember about my time in the UK, was the number of French wineries buying up land in South England. Due to climate change, they felt the best wineries would be there in the near future, and they wanted to start cultivating grapes there. English wine was starting to be pretty good.
Supposedly during the medieval warm period, southern England had excellent wineries.

In the middle ages, they tried making wine in Berlin. They called it "three-man" wine -- one to drink it, a second to hold the first down while the third poured it down his throat.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Interesting parallels between Carrier and the 19th Century Rector of Stiffkey, Harold Davidson.

They both held posts in a religion - and were known for their persuasive sermonising.

They both were in marriages which were broken by one of them taking a lover (although in Davidson's case it was his wife).

Both associated with prostitutes - although one of them met women who were still prostitutes, and tried to help them out of that life, wheareas the other preferred meeting ex-prostitutes and tried to get them back in to that life (though this time for free).

They were both ritually and humiliatingly defrocked by their ex-parishioners sick and tired of 'polyamorous' behaviour.

Both tried to explain away their behaviour with a series of bizarre rationalisations of increasing complexity and far-fetchedness.

Both attempted legal challenges to regain their former status using meagre resources which they had to supplement by performance art, and fell into poverty.

Both were killed by being eaten by a lion called Freddy. (O.K. This hasn't happened to Carrier yet)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

ERV wrote:Thanks dudes!

I can share being super vague-- I went digging in shit that nobody thought would be interesting, turns out, SUPER INTERESTING! I think it could change the way we approach making an HIV vaccine.
OMFG

You are amazing. AHH. I am always excited when we hear new HIV news here first... well... first-ish :D

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I enacted the labour of rechecking the infamous Damion dox drop incident. It's actually hard to find it was so low intensity. http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/search.ph ... &start=520

It came from pretty basic needling by Damion of inconsistencies inevitable with a jello subject like what is doxing. But inconsistencies that shockingly suggested the Pit's (very) occasional passes were extended to those fighting the good battle against SJism.

Came to a head when Damion "dropped" Ogvorbis's old blog that had a part of his name in it. A blog that had been roundly discussed in the Ogvorbis context for ages previous. A mod wiped the reference and the legend was born. Meh.

The way people people red button on Damion is like watching my wife and teenage daughter interact.
Just another shrub fire in the Damion vs the pompous pit war.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Spike13 wrote:

In the middle ages, they tried making wine in Berlin. They called it "three-man" wine -- one to drink it, a second to hold the first down while the third poured it down his throat.
Now that's funny!

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

comhcinc wrote:I like carrots. They are tasty.
Carrots and treadmills. Is jim doing that fitness thing with you and the others?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Brive1987 wrote:I enacted the labour of rechecking the infamous Damion dox drop incident. It's actually hard to find it was so low intensity. http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/search.ph ... &start=520

It came from pretty basic needling by Damion of inconsistencies inevitable with a jello subject like what is doxing. But inconsistencies that shockingly suggested the Pit's (very) occasional passes were extended to those fighting the good battle against SJism.

Came to a head when Damion "dropped" Ogvorbis's old blog that had a part of his name in it. A blog that had been roundly discussed in the Ogvorbis context for ages previous. A mod wiped the reference and the legend was born. Meh.

The way people people red button on Damion is like watching my wife and teenage daughter interact.
Not pompous when the disingenuous twat tries to deny it ever happened.
http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 40#p225558
I can't post D4m10n's tweet, as he is in his Twitter fortress of solitude. But he thereafter declared to the world that the pit allows doxes, being hypocrites. A bit of projection on his part. Then he bravely ran away.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Gumby was not amused.
Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

CaptainFluffyBunny

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Anyone want to Skype?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

So I had to check and yes the German word dreimännerwein (three man wine) is a thing. Also maulzieher (jaw puller). The things you learn on the 'Pit.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987 wrote:I enacted the labour of rechecking the infamous Damion dox drop incident. It's actually hard to find it was so low intensity. http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/search.ph ... &start=520

I can't post D4m10n's tweet, as he is in his Twitter fortress of solitude. But he thereafter declared to the world that the pit allows doxes, being hypocrites. A bit of projection on his part. Then he bravely ran away.
Yeah - that was the blog name drop, a blog we had earlier put under a microscope for lols. So I'm not sure 'what' exactly happened. He's pulling your chain. It annoys me too at times - but no more than when my wife or son winds up my daughter because she is so predictably windable.

The underlying point about exact definitions of doxing and overall consistency remain as murky and debatable as ever.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I have vague memories of the tweet - I suspect it was a contextualised but still annoying twist of the nose mid debate. Meh.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Sulman wrote:
comhcinc wrote: Windows 10 (very nice)

Linux (not really worth the hassle)
You take that back you little strumpet
If you play games all day, Com's right.

But with Linux, you don't have to install fifteen malware scanners and still look over your shoulders all the time.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

What is fucking ridiculous is FtB producing an "official" statement about anything.

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:
Sulman wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Windows 10 (very nice)

Linux (not really worth the hassle)
You take that back you little strumpet
I have had a Red Hat for years but for most people I wouldn't recommend for most people, even those that know their ways around. For me it's the question of what you are trying to do with your computer?

Frankly most people would be good with a chromebook.
Which runs "ChromeOS", which is... Linux.

I agree that Redhat is aimed at servers nowadays. You're better off with Debian, Mint etc. on your desktop/laptop.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And what's funnier still is that the post immediately below Carriers libel one is his announcement in 2011 that he is leaving for Freethought Blogs where he says:
This move will help me earn an income doing what I do, and give my work a higher profile so it will do more good.
http://richardcarrier.blogspot.com.au

CaptainFluffyBunny

Brive1987 wrote:

Yeah - that was the blog name drop, a blog we had earlier put under a microscope for lols. So I'm not sure 'what' exactly happened. He's pulling your chain. It annoys me too at times - but no more than when my wife or son winds up my daughter because she is so predictably windable.

The underlying point about exact definitions of doxing and overall consistency remain as murky and debatable as ever.
My jimmies are quite unrustled. I suspect Damion's are not. He is being defensive because he is emotionally invested in the organization, my internet diagnoses tell me. He tries to handwave it away, but alas, it is too egregious to let lie. But I won't bore the pit with it anymore if that is your concern.

And what is it with 15 yo girls and their mothers? I feel like I should have a whistle sometimes.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

Offish topic:
cbsnews.com/news/mom-speaks-up-after-son-with-down-syndrome-excluded-from-party/
When her son was the only one in his class not invited to another child's birthday party, a Canadian mother decided to use it as a "teachable moment" about Down syndrome.

Jennifer Kiss-Engele posted an open letter to the other parent Thursday on Facebook.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Cnutella wrote:So the Guardian just did an opinion piece regarding how the fear of immigration lrahther than actual immgration itself lay behind the Brexit. The evidence used to support this contention was that the electoral regions most in favor of remaining were the ones with the highest levels of immigration.
A pattern I'm familiar with: Copenhagen proper with all of its immigrants still votes mostly left, while the rural areas vote Dansk Folkeparti.

CaptainFluffyBunny

So Europe is now divided and ripe for conquest! Trump's Imperial America will soon subjugate all. Expect a fleet of drones at our earliest convenience.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

But I won't bore the pit with it anymore if that is your concern.
My dear captain, I would be personally offended if you didn't 'bother' us. Colour, movement and robust disagreement is what makes this place great (again).

As Gumby and I can attest. :burn:

[youtube]nTzRnepGIdM[/youtube]

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:So Europe is now divided and ripe for conquest! Trump's Imperial America will soon subjugate all. Expect a fleet of drones at our earliest convenience.
Doesn't worry me. Given Trump's knowledge in geography and history, they'll probably end up in Australia.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Eskarina wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:So Europe is now divided and ripe for conquest! Trump's Imperial America will soon subjugate all. Expect a fleet of drones at our earliest convenience.
Doesn't worry me. Given Trump's knowledge in geography and history, they'll probably end up in Australia.
Well, Australia is in the Eurovision Song Contest.

CaptainFluffyBunny

A gentleman and a scholar, Brive. Which brings me to an awkward question...is there a new & improved Richard Carrier downfall timeline? If you've been too busy with your new job, I may deign to forgive you. But I'm afraid your timelines are simply the best. And this damaged brain can't keep track of all the players without a scorecard. I was trying to explain the whole sordid mess to an innocent, and it is harder to get all the details straight than one might think. Feel free to tell me to fuck off.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

SM12 wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
Well, Australia is in the Eurovision Song Contest.
THAT is a European invention that deserves to be destroyed by drones.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Eskarina wrote:
Do kangaroos make good slaves? How are they at yard work?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:A gentleman and a scholar, Brive. Which brings me to an awkward question...is there a new & improved Richard Carrier downfall timeline? If you've been too busy with your new job, I may deign to forgive you. But I'm afraid your timelines are simply the best. And this damaged brain can't keep track of all the players without a scorecard. I was trying to explain the whole sordid mess to an innocent, and it is harder to get all the details straight than one might think. Feel free to tell me to fuck off.
I have been manic this week and next week is shaping up the same. I feel guilty as I had to defer exercise - and updates for those who didn't pike. :?

Plus this.

But I will update.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Cnutella wrote:Yeah this is a criticism of the Brexit I have seen a lot that I just don't get. Sure, SinnFein are using it as an excuse to talk about reunification with the South, almost like that's been their platform all along or something, but even the Southern Irish have acknowledged that they couldn't afford the giant economic millstone that is NI. Britain should be so lucky. I don't think people understand just how much NI costs to run or how little revenue it generates.
NI, your own little Poland?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Eskarina wrote:
:-) He certainly is a bit of a buffoon. Though he, and Brexit and similar movements, certainly seem to be resonating with a fairly large and increasingly pissed-off demographic. Which the powers that be seem to be ignoring at their - and our - peril. Though Sanders at least is recognizing that writing on the wall:

Though I doubt his socialism - with the collapse of Venezuela being an object lesson - has much credibility.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:What is fucking ridiculous is FtB producing an "official" statement about anything.
Repeated by each blogger thereafter.

feathers

Post by feathers »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:A gentleman and a scholar, Brive. Which brings me to an awkward question...is there a new & improved Richard Carrier downfall timeline?
Speaking of which, where's whatisname's clownfall youtube edition?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

And in other news, and of maybe some interest to at least a few, Quillette has an interesting post on the question of race. A salient quote or two:
On the Reality of Race and the Abhorrence of Racism
With appropriate qualifications, however, we will argue that most people are correct: race exists. And although genetic analyses have shown that human variation is complicated, standard racial categories are not arbitrary social constructions. Rather, they correspond to real genetic differences among human populations. Furthermore, we believe that scientists can and should study this variation without fear of censure or obloquy. Racism isn’t wrong because there aren’t races; it is wrong because it violates basic human decency and modern moral ideals. In fact, pinning a message of tolerance to the claim that all humans are essentially the same underneath the skin is dangerous. It suggests that if there were real differences, racism would be justified. This is bad science and worse morality. ....

(Objection 2): Human genetic variation is much greater within human populations than among human populations; therefore, variation that exists between groups is of little scientific interest.

This claim is true in a circumscribed sense, but is largely irrelevant to the question of whether population group differences are biologically meaningful. .... Roughly speaking, the original claim about genetic diversity was based on analyses at single genetic loci (spots on the chromosome where genes are located) and not on analyses that considered the correlated structure of multiple genetic loci (many locations). Failure to consider multiple loci assures that broad, distinct patterns of allele (gene) frequencies get lost in the noise of diversity at single loci. This sounds painfully abstruse, but the basic point is this: patterns that are nearly invisible for individual genes become visible if one examines multiple genes at the same time (i.e., looks at gene 1 + gene 2 + gene 3 + gene 4…et cetera). ....

These categories aren’t real in some metaphysical sense, but they are useful, and they do have predictive value. In this, they are like many other constructs in the social sciences such as self-esteem, intelligence, and agreeableness. They represent traits that cluster together; they predict outcomes; and they can be quantified. ....

Conclusion

Most people believe that there are human races. They believe this not because they have a sophisticated understanding of genetic variation or human evolution, but because they see and categorize perspicuous phenotypic (and possibly behavioral) differences. Although many intellectuals have contended that these differences are largely superficial and distort underlying genetic realities, most research suggests that there are meaningful genetic differences among racial groups and that these differences are largely consistent with common racial classifications. .... Tolerance and cosmopolitanism don’t require the leveling of diversity; they require the celebration of it. Race exists, but racism does not have to.
Of maybe some particular interest as it may provide some clarification, the comments and arguments about clustering, multiple loci, and patterns getting lost in the noise was something that I've attempted to illustrate several times, particularly in Post #29385.

CaptainFluffyBunny

feathers wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:A gentleman and a scholar, Brive. Which brings me to an awkward question...is there a new & improved Richard Carrier downfall timeline?
Speaking of which, where's whatisname's clownfall youtube edition?
Gefelgore has left us bereft. Not a reft to be found.