The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
feathers

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by feathers »

Eskarina wrote:
paddybrown wrote:Aaagh.

In my day job, one of the things I do is approve ads placed by landlords and rental agencies on a website advertising student accommodation, after checking they have the appropriate accreditation and so on. Today I got nearly eighty ads from one agency to wade through, and only four of them had any rent details included.
I feel your pain.

Today I had a customer trying to wriggle out of the contract telling me: "Who has time for reading the small print?" :doh:
"Our lawyer does."

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:
paddybrown wrote:A story in the New York Post makes an interesting comparison between those who claim victimhood and e-beg on the basis of it, and Oral Roberts, the 80s televangelist.

It's a connection I hadn't made. I'd made the connection between SJWs and the right-wing moral scolds of my youth like Mary Whitehouse, but I can't deny it - Anita Sarkeesian and the like are secular left-wing televangelists, using Patreon and Kickstarter the way televangelists used to use cable TV and phone donations.
Interesting article.

:nin:
:nin: Indeed, big time, by a year or more. Nothing new under the sun and all that. But maybe your tweet at least helped to precipitate that article. Tend to think that too many are far too quick to discount or deprecate the value of Twitter and hashtag activism: pen mightier than the sword, and all that.

But maybe something to add to your zeitgeist thread? If it's not already there.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

feathers wrote:
Eskarina wrote: <snip>

I feel your pain.

Today I had a customer trying to wriggle out of the contract telling me: "Who has time for reading the small print?" :doh:
"Our lawyer does."
:lol:

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Steersman wrote:
feathers wrote:

I feel your pain.

"Our lawyer does."
I have to agree with Steersman here.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Me, too, but a kitten still dies.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Me, too, but a kitten still dies.
That could help too. "Every time you don't read the small print, an innocent kitten dies."

Billie from Ockham

No kittens are innocent. They are Original Sin incarnate. Hateful little fuckers.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Here's what happens if you don't read the contract.

[youtube]mIvQZm8K-yU[/youtube]

disclosure: I'm an Aardman fan

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Shouldn't the Congress choose the candidate which has received more popular votes in case of an electoral college tie?
Asking a question that starts with "shouldn't" when it comes to US law is foolish. :D

In any event, the rule is that The House chooses between the top three electoral vote-getters. Fuck the popular vote.
What if there are only two candidates who get any electoral votes, and a tie happens, like in the scenario below? Who wins then?

http://i.imgur.com/oSiWV1p.png

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Two life anecdotes.

#1 While I was out shopping I stopped by these local game store and I dug it. Nice, big, clear and well lit. They wasn't open yet but still let me in to brows around and just let me be. They also seem to have figured out the trick of making money. They have a full restaurant in the place. Nothing fancy just like burgers and sandwiches.

#2 A couple of weeks ago I watched a shitty documentary on Amazon Prime about some guy trying to get all the licensed North American released games for the NES. The only redeeming quality about the movie is it's a great look insde of self centered millennial with first world problems. The people that make the film are all part of a podcast and that is one of the problems that they are too chummy with each other. So I leave an honest, negative review on Amazon. Most of the reviews are by fans of their podcast and they are overly glowing and biased. I get back home look at my email and one of the people from that podcast is not following me on twitter. Fucking bizarre.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Shouldn't the Congress choose the candidate which has received more popular votes in case of an electoral college tie?
Asking a question that starts with "shouldn't" when it comes to US law is foolish. :D

In any event, the rule is that The House chooses between the top three electoral vote-getters. Fuck the popular vote.
What if there are only two candidates who get any electoral votes, and a tie happens, like in the scenario below? Who wins then?

Lol Trump would win. Republicans control the house. They may not like him, but they hate Clinton.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:What if there are only two candidates who get any electoral votes, and a tie happens, like in the scenario below? Who wins then?

First, both parties spend 3 months in which one accuses the other of election fraud by using their influence in the voting machine industry, while the other repays in kind by accusing them of voter fraud by way of an organisation which helps the poor get their voter registration.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

:) ;)

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Steersman wrote:

:) ;)
:angry-screaming:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

:suimouth:

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Eskarina wrote:
paddybrown wrote:Aaagh.

In my day job, one of the things I do is approve ads placed by landlords and rental agencies on a website advertising student accommodation, after checking they have the appropriate accreditation and so on. Today I got nearly eighty ads from one agency to wade through, and only four of them had any rent details included.
I feel your pain.

Yeah. I have a friend who used to work for the Citizen's Advice Bureau, and he had lots of people trying to get out of credit agreements and the like who seemed to think "ah, but I didn't read the contract" was a killer legal argument.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

An interesting talk on mid east immigration:
[youtube]Txk-CZRFEoQ[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Apropos of nothing much in particular ... ;-)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Hat trick! ('Tis the season):
http://i.imgur.com/chYQg4p.png

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Welch! ;-)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Your bookmarks are proof you should be pitied.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

comhcinc wrote:Your bookmarks are proof you should be pitied.
The open tabs, though...

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
The open tabs, though...
Another reason!

jmpea81

Post by jmpea81 »

Sargon has a new vid up. Featuring the most rotund, most glyphosat fume infused implant in and from Morris Minnesota:

[youtube]nyDIrnbI7rg[/youtube]

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

MarcusAu wrote:
BoxNDox wrote:
paddybrown wrote:A story in the New York Post makes an interesting comparison between those who claim victimhood and e-beg on the basis of it, and Oral Roberts, the 80s televangelist.

It's a connection I hadn't made. I'd made the connection between SJWs and the right-wing moral scolds of my youth like Mary Whitehouse, but I can't deny it - Anita Sarkeesian and the like are secular left-wing televangelists, using Patreon and Kickstarter the way televangelists used to use cable TV and phone donations.
I guess nobody else remembers the "Send Oral to Heaven in '87 - no $" bumper stickers. What a shame.
Wasn't he the inspiration for MC 900 ft Jesus?
Yep. As I recall, Oral claimed a 900 ft tall Jebus came to him in a vision and they spoke standing eye to eye.

Q. How do you get the hands of the sculpture outside the university to close?

A. Toss in a penny.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Oral would see giant Jesuses all over the play all the time.

I guess that is why his university often has a good basketball team.

Billie from Ockham

Kirbmarc wrote:What if there are only two candidates who get any electoral votes, and a tie happens, like in the scenario below? Who wins then?
If the House can't decide, then the person the Senate chooses for VP.

Billie from Ockham

feathers wrote:
First, both parties spend 3 months in which one accuses the other of election fraud by using their influence in the voting machine industry, while the other repays in kind by accusing them of voter fraud by way of an organisation which helps the poor get their voter registration.
Sort of. In the past the answer would be: the fat Catholic fuck on SCOTUS, but he's in Hell now, so it's back to the House.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:I'm drunk
Hummmm. I hear this is a good way to get a bun in the oven going.

Just saying.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

A person's hero.

[youtube]g_3wRicL-QI[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

jmpea81 wrote:Sargon has a new vid up. Featuring the most rotund, most glyphosat fume infused implant in and from Morris Minnesota:

Near the end of the video, Sargon parroted the BS thing about Trudeau "assaulting" that poor victim woman by elbowing her in the tit. :violin: Apparently someone showed how the various media factions were misreporting the incident and Sargon posted an update/correction:
UPDATE: The British media mis-reported this as Trudeau manhandling the whip out of anger, and failed to mention that the people Trudeau barged through were actively blocking his path.

My objection was Trudeau manhandling a peer in parliament, but this isn't what happened, so my apologies and I retract my statements about him. Although it's still pointless to apologise for something you didn't do and someone else already apologised for.
This video shows a more balanced view on what happened and how the NDP members staged the incident. It reminds me of the angry feminist pushing her way through a crowd and bumping people than claiming they were sexually touched and scream assault. By the way, last year the NDP pulled the feminist card and got 2 liberal MPs fired for sexism, incidents that were questionable at best. These assholes think it's fair game to play the same game as the phony SJW victims are so fond of.
[youtube]-ws8vyFk15E[/youtube]

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
ERV wrote:
It turned out to be what can only be called pig spine soup.
He doesn't know if it is pig at all. 2002 World Cup. Oh well.
Could PZ have just condoned eating a species he previously condoned having sex with?
If you can eat it seems to me you should be able to fuck it.

Besides, it's my pig and I do what I want.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:snip
Could PZ have just condoned eating a species he previously condoned having sex with?
If you can eat it seems to me you should be able to fuck it.

Besides, it's my pig and I do what I want.
Carrie Poppy alert!

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
jmpea81 wrote:Sargon has a new vid up. Featuring the most rotund, most glyphosat fume infused implant in and from Morris Minnesota:

Near the end of the video, Sargon parroted the BS thing about Trudeau "assaulting" that poor victim woman by elbowing her in the tit. :violin: Apparently someone showed how the various media factions were misreporting the incident and Sargon posted an update/correction:
UPDATE: The British media mis-reported this as Trudeau manhandling the whip out of anger, and failed to mention that the people Trudeau barged through were actively blocking his path.

My objection was Trudeau manhandling a peer in parliament, but this isn't what happened, so my apologies and I retract my statements about him. Although it's still pointless to apologise for something you didn't do and someone else already apologised for.
This video shows a more balanced view on what happened and how the NDP members staged the incident. It reminds me of the angry feminist pushing her way through a crowd and bumping people than claiming they were sexually touched and scream assault. By the way, last year the NDP pulled the feminist card and got 2 liberal MPs fired for sexism, incidents that were questionable at best. These assholes think it's fair game to play the same game as the phony SJW victims are so fond of.
[youtube]-ws8vyFk15E[/youtube]
The NDP were being school-yard bullies and blocking the tory whip, which should have gotten them tossed out by the Speaker of the House or a good pepper spraying by the sergeant at arms. And this stuff from a lot of the left is predictable, they create a situation where someone will try to get through a blocked aislway or entrance or create a crosswalk blockade and then faint to the ground screaming "call an ambulance!!" kind of crap if anyone dare to get through. It's why I dislike a good chunk of the left and why I dislike soccer.

Anyway our version of PBS - the CBC - is as lefty as it gets and the vast majority of the comments on their article about it were from people pissed off at the NDP for being bullies, for the MP play-acting like a south american soccer player and for making light of 'violence in the workplace' with this bullshit.

It's kind of like when Democrats used to advertise how they were the normal people in america with normal dogs and wore jeans and drank beer and Republican women had blue hair and was walking a poodle wearing a tiara and diamond studded leash, that is, Republicans were competely out of the American mainstream. Now, a guy in blue-jeans and cowboy boots on a horse? Sorry, not Democrat, that's a Republican. The Democrat is the freakshow in the back of the picture with a picket sign about how riding a horse is animal abuse, owning a horse is animal abuse and wearing leather boots is animal abuse.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Here:

If you want to be a politician and connect to people be this guy:
http://www.wiwfarm.com/jpg2/e131.jpg

http://erickbrockway.files.wordpress.co ... reagan.jpg

Don't be that guy on the right of the last photo.

Fuck, even this guy gets it:

http://newsrook.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... y-are3.jpg

And this guy:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... 3WocLZlnlw

Hell, it looks like if the horse got to tired Putin could pick it up and carry it home.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

It's kind of like when Democrats used to advertise how they were the normal people in america with normal dogs and wore jeans and drank beer and Republican women had blue hair
Sorry, comhinc. How's the poodle?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Keating

Post by Keating »

Aneris wrote:I've seen articles on the election that it could come to a stalemate, because both Drumpf Small Fingers as well as Hillary “Bomb Em” Clinton aren't super popular to gain a majority vote (270+ was it?). In that case Congress would pick one of the available candiates, which would be one of the other Republicans: they would have one run in one state where he would win, say Texas, and congress would then pick that person (i.e. not Trump). It would be perfectly legal, though it certainly wouldn't go doen well.

I have no clue about your system, and it sounds fancy, but is this any realistic option? I've seen such scenarios come over the FB wall, HuffPo and such. I halfway expect its scaremongering to compell the Benie Base to switch to Clinton — which fits wirh my impression. The emotional and propagandist manipulation in this very direction in the Blue Tribe is remarkeable (I know nobody from the Red side, so I have no idea about their concerns).
Not gonna happen. The only people who accurately predicted that Trump would win the nomination, are now predicting he'll win the general in a landslide. There's no enthusiasm for Clinton, other than from Melissa McEwan. Trump, on the other hand, is a master persuader and has a large contingent of people willing to do free promotion. There have been record turnouts in the republican primaries, while democrat primaries are way down. Trump has already broken the record for total votes in the republican primaries, and California hasn't happened yet.

The only danger I see is if Trump overplays his hand before Clinton is confirmed as the nominee. Sanders vs Trump is a different proposition. Also possible that Clinton will withdraw from the race for "health" reasons, given how poorly Bill is looking these days. A badly damaged Clinton barely winning the nomination is most likely at this stage, and that just makes Trump's job easier.

If you want a close election, look to Austria. Now there seem some irregularities there. Why so many postal votes overwhelmingly for one candidate? And the declared winner is a member of a party that says "Anyone who loves Austria must be shit".

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

So com a few hours after the call ended my skype rang and it was Easy J who is working 12-hour by 7-day shifts so can only pyt in chunks and we talked for an hour or so, he is doing well and sees the light at the end of his moneysocking project.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I haven't played a tabletop RPG in years. Last thing I can think of is a drunken bout of Magic The Gathering from a few years ago.

But since this mountainous week-end was spent with my LARPing friends, we had quite a few latex sword duels (the LARP ones, not the other "latex swords"). Turns out I'm still kicking ass and remain undefeated. Yay for me.
Pity they don't make latex wood-carving knives, or for that matter latex trampolines.

Billie from Ockham

I agree with MacGruber. Kate Upton 2020!!!

https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.co ... y=88&w=656

dogen

Post by dogen »

What am I seeing -- some Satanic virgin sacrifice ritual?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Nobody is stupider than a leftist who thinks that the Regressive Left doesn't exist while arguing that all the Right is awful.

But so many stupid people like this like to comment on Patheos.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Billie from Ockham wrote:I agree with MacGruber. Kate Upton 2020!!!

Now that's some quality ass!

dogen

Post by dogen »

dogen wrote:
What am I seeing -- some Satanic virgin sacrifice ritual?
Ah -- that's the tree you guys planted in memoriam. Apologies for making light of this serious photo.

Still, I'm sure Ali appreciates that you're saving yourself for married life.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Wmdkitty thinks that the Regressive Left doesn't exist, and asks for evidence. I gave her evidence, and she rejected it as "a wall of opinionated bullshit".

Keating

Post by Keating »

Tell s/h/it to look in a mirror.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Mah jubblies!

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kirbmarc wrote:Wmdkitty thinks that the Regressive Left doesn't exist, and asks for evidence. I gave her evidence, and she rejected it as "a wall of opinionated bullshit".
She's easily in the top five dumbest people who claim to be skeptics. Nerd's up there, too.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:Wmdkitty thinks that the Regressive Left doesn't exist, and asks for evidence. I gave her evidence, and she rejected it as "a wall of opinionated bullshit".
Linky? Ta. Though I'm curious why people, in general, allude to something without providing a link. Ashamed? Careless? Afraid the Horde or the Dementers will descend? Inquiring minds and all that .... ;-)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
The open tabs, though...
Yea, the ones for child porn, Stormfront, Trump, and, particularly, Ayn Rand are pretty damning .... :bjarte:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

if ur protesting 'false chow mein', claiming that 'no-platforming' is not the same anti-free-speech, that disagreeing with the insane part of the left that claims any disagreement with them is misgoyny, that everything wrong in the world always resolves itself to straight white males being the cause of it, or in the case of Islam, Jews and straight white men being the cause of it,

then you are probably a member of the regressive left. I like to call them the fascist left just to make them lose their shit even more.

Add your own items to the list.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

I'd ride it bareback.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:Nobody is stupider than a leftist who thinks that the Regressive Left doesn't exist while arguing that all the Right is awful.

But so many stupid people like this like to comment on Patheos.
The term 'regressive left' originated on the Left, among committed Leftists who recognised that the increasing illiberalism, anti-Semitism, and the cosying up to Islamists, currently fashionable on the Left, are antithetical to the reasons they became Leftists in the first place.

Rightists usually don't bother with the prefix 'regressive' since they regard Leftism itself as a negative.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

MacGruberKnows wrote:

I'd ride it bareback.
I'd put my penis in that woman's vagina, mouth, or anus.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:[

[youtube-ws8vyFk15E[/youtube]
MacGruberKnows wrote: The NDP were being school-yard bullies and blocking the tory whip, which should have gotten them tossed out by the Speaker of the House or a good pepper spraying by the sergeant at arms. And this stuff from a lot of the left is predictable, they create a situation where someone will try to get through a blocked aislway or entrance or create a crosswalk blockade and then faint to the ground screaming "call an ambulance!!" kind of crap if anyone dare to get through. It's why I dislike a good chunk of the left and why I dislike soccer.

While I think is over blown I really don't understand what you too are on aboot. Here is my question. Looking at this screen shot.
http://i.imgur.com/ihOf6tx.jpg

What was stopping the guy from just walking around the group to the left? I mean is there some rule that states he has to walk down that side?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
It's kind of like when Democrats used to advertise how they were the normal people in america with normal dogs and wore jeans and drank beer and Republican women had blue hair
Sorry, comhinc. How's the poodle?
Cat snake.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3dZzD ... 01-h667-no

Or was that a knock out my wife? Or me? Poodles are cool.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

fuzzy wrote:So com a few hours after the call ended my skype rang and it was Easy J who is working 12-hour by 7-day shifts so can only pyt in chunks and we talked for an hour or so, he is doing well and sees the light at the end of his moneysocking project.

Cool! That guy is huffing it. We should all be like him.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

comhcinc wrote:
While I think is over blown I really don't understand what you too are on aboot. Here is my question. Looking at this screen shot.
http://i.imgur.com/ihOf6tx.jpg

What was stopping the guy from just walking around the group to the left? I mean is there some rule that states he has to walk down that side?
It's a big no-no for the opposition and government sides to cross over to the other sides part of the aisle, because it's usually to get into someone else/s face or worse.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Glorious.

Pro-tip: Keep away from terriers.