The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
CaptainFluffyBunny

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

comhcinc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Not gonna do the Google work on my phone. Look it up before you guys go all Steersman on me. I was a boxer and a martial artist, and head trauma is no fun. Look at the facts, not at what you already know. I really regret some of the shit I did when I was younger. Just because you don't see the damage doesn't mean it's not there and very real. When you pop somebody in the head, you endanger their life, however small the odds. No insult in the world is worth that.
I promise you I have actually tried to find hard numbers on this. I can't any past what I have already posted. I am just seeing the number there that in the larger scheme of things that this should be something I should be concern about.
How exactly would you get quantifiable numbers on this, anyway? Suffice to say, I've seen it happen. Not dead, but the dude had a lifetime of seizures and is no longer amongst the quick. Or volunteer to let my sweet little fifteen year-old one good shot at yer noggin. :whistle:

ffs

Post by ffs »

jimhabegger wrote:I have a checklist that I've been trying to remember to apply to each post, before I post it, until it all comes naturally to me.

1. Pray about whatever I want to write about.
http://i.imgur.com/7XUlkOF.png

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Not gonna do the Google work on my phone. Look it up before you guys go all Steersman on me. I was a boxer and a martial artist, and head trauma is no fun. Look at the facts, not at what you already know. I really regret some of the shit I did when I was younger. Just because you don't see the damage doesn't mean it's not there and very real. When you pop somebody in the head, you endanger their life, however small the odds. No insult in the world is worth that.
I promise you I have actually tried to find hard numbers on this. I can't any past what I have already posted. I am just seeing the number there that in the larger scheme of things that this should be something I should be concern about.
How exactly would you get quantifiable numbers on this, anyway? Suffice to say, I've seen it happen. Not dead, but the dude had a lifetime of seizures and is no longer amongst the quick. Or volunteer to let my sweet little fifteen year-old one good shot at yer noggin. :whistle:
So as to numbers what are we talking about? I am talking about the "one punch kills" that you originally brought up. If it was a large as a issue as you feel I am sure there would be most stats about it. In futuretown where some of your links are from I found numbers to say 90 between 2000 and 2013. So how many fights happened at that time? 1000? 2000? 250,000? I don't know but that is the number that we need to have to see if it's a big issue or not.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Or volunteer to let my sweet little fifteen year-old one good shot at yer noggin. :whistle:

She can also be part of the transgendered lumberjack match.

CaptainFluffyBunny

jimhabegger wrote:I have a lot of interest in some of the social issues I see people discussing here, but the kinds of discussion that would interest me the most, and possibly keep me coming back, would be to encourage and support each other in our efforts to help reduce and counteract their harmful effects, and to help build a better world, for the benefit of all people, grounded in systematic and sustained efforts to improve our own character and conduct, and in service to our communities.

MOTHER OF CTHUHLU, SNIPPED!
I play a lot of music, and I sure do love banjos. What would really interest me and keep me coming back (because I know you all really, really want that) is to talk about banjo rolls, vs clawhammer and frailing. And should we really make distinctions between frailing and clawhammer, or should we acknowledge that the two forms are largely a semantic difference that...?

Wait, you aren't interested and don't want to make the forum all about me and banjo-bothering!?! Well, I never.

CaptainFluffyBunny

comhcinc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Or volunteer to let my sweet little fifteen year-old one good shot at yer noggin. :whistle:

She might enjoy that. She likes axes.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

comhcinc wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
In that video, I'm a lot more sympathetic to the bigger kid beating up the other kid. Because the other kid started beating on him. Still, he only lost it for a second, and he didn't have a posse backing him up. He was the one bullied.

In the video where the girl beats up the other girl, it's a completely different situation, and it's someone getting up someone else's face for saying a word they didn't like, whilst also being much taller and much bigger. Boo fucking hoo. And then of course you have people on Twitter cheering her on and Orbiters like Niki M who wants to shake her hand, because using words is difficult and this is commendable. Is that what reality is now?
Why does the size of the girls matter? We know they are teenagers and about the same age. It's not like a 10 year old beating up a 5 year old. I am just failing to see that should matter. Like if the girls were the same size or even if the size were reversed and everything else the same would it make a difference?
About the same age, but a good head taller and beefier and maybe even stronger. I say that makes a difference.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Pitchguest wrote:
About the same age, but a good head taller and beefier and maybe even stronger. I say that makes a difference.
I get that. I am asking what difference it makes and why it is important?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Pitchguest wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
In that video, I'm a lot more sympathetic to the bigger kid beating up the other kid. Because the other kid started beating on him. Still, he only lost it for a second, and he didn't have a posse backing him up. He was the one bullied.

In the video where the girl beats up the other girl, it's a completely different situation, and it's someone getting up someone else's face for saying a word they didn't like, whilst also being much taller and much bigger. Boo fucking hoo. And then of course you have people on Twitter cheering her on and Orbiters like Niki M who wants to shake her hand, because using words is difficult and this is commendable. Is that what reality is now?
Why does the size of the girls matter? We know they are teenagers and about the same age. It's not like a 10 year old beating up a 5 year old. I am just failing to see that should matter. Like if the girls were the same size or even if the size were reversed and everything else the same would it make a difference?
Come now. Racism and sexism are the only reasons Ronda Rousey never got her shot against Mayweather.

CaptainFluffyBunny

comhcinc wrote:snip cpt

How exactly would you get quantifiable numbers on this, anyway? Suffice to say, I've seen it happen. Not dead, but the dude had a lifetime of seizures and is no longer amongst the quick. Or volunteer to let my sweet little fifteen year-old one good shot at yer noggin. :whistle:[/quote]

So as to numbers what are we talking about? I am talking about the "one punch kills" that you originally brought up. If it was a large as a issue as you feel I am sure there would be most stats about it. In futuretown where some of your links are from I found numbers to say 90 between 2000 and 2013. So how many fights happened at that time? 1000? 2000? 250,000? I don't know but that is the number that we need to have to see if it's a big issue or not.[/quote]
How do you also quantify non-lethal but lasting brain damage? Latest science seems to say bangin' the noggin ain't good for the brain. Docs can weigh in, but if you wanna bet what a neurologist would say?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Quotebork.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

comhcinc wrote:

In a lumberjack match, lumberjacks (in this case transgendered ones) stand around the ring and beat the shit out of anyone comes out of it, often with axe handles

Since this is up to four people now I am going to add another stipulation. It's now a Transgendered lumberjack, Loser Gets the Bees Match.

CaptainFluffyBunny

comhcinc wrote:
comhcinc wrote:snip

In a lumberjack match, lumberjacks (in this case transgendered ones) stand around the ring and beat the shit out of anyone comes out of it, often with axe handles

Since this is up to four people now I am going to add another stipulation. It's now a Transgendered lumberjack, Loser Gets the Bees Match.
You are a strange man.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

comhcinc wrote:

I'll have you know that she was a navy seal.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:How do you also quantify non-lethal but lasting brain damage? Latest science seems to say bangin' the noggin ain't good for the brain. Docs can weigh in, but if you wanna bet what a neurologist would say?
One of my favorite wrestlers is Chris Benoit. That is a nightmare story that shows us the extremes of brain damage. Because of this horror show I have been keep up as best as a layman can to brain damage and it seems to have a lot to with repeated traumas. Most people are going to okay after one fight with a untrained 16 year old girl.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:snip
How do you also quantify non-lethal but lasting brain damage? Latest science seems to say bangin' the noggin ain't good for the brain. Docs can weigh in, but if you wanna bet what a neurologist would say?
My wife works in mental health and she notes that the incidence of acquired brain injury is huge (in Australia). One of her bugbears is that car crash news items, for example, report on the number of deaths but not on the far higher number that now have ABI and a significantly reduced quality of life.

CaptainFluffyBunny

KiwiInOz wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

That would be quite a feat for a girl, let alone a fifteen-year old one. Suffice to say any job that involves getting up in the morning in a timely fashion is quite out for her. Kids these days.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

jimhabegger wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
deLurch wrote:If you are here to try an promote your religious building ...

... I would recommend starting a thread here:
viewforum.php?f=34
jimhabegger wrote:If I'm welcome to start a new thread there, on my own initiative, I would need to hear that from an administrator.

Besides, I'm not sure my discussion would even be on topic there. I don't think I would be posting endless numbers of endless posts, about the same endless techniques, and I'm not sure there could be any consensus about that. That's why I think it would need to be an administrative decision.
No go start your own thread and stay there.
Only if I'm advised to do so by Lsuoma, Skep tickle, Aneris, Brive1987, Gumby, or John Greg.
Sorry, you get to decide just like everybody else whether & where to post. You are welcome to use any method you like to decide. No moderator or admin input/action unless you break one of the very few rules here, or seriously get on Lsuoma's nerves.

(a) Posting your stuff in this thread means more eyeballs on your posts, at the (high) risk of being put on "ignore" by some members at a faster rate than would happen if you post primarily in any other forum here.

(b) Posting your stuff primarily in any other forum here may allow discussion of your topic(s) of interest to be more focused, but there may be very few people who see it - much less participate.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: You are a strange man.
Me? You are the one offering up his teenage daughter to be in a Transgendered Lumberjack, Loser Gets the Bees Match with three grown men!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

KiwiInOz wrote:
That would be quite a feat for a girl, let alone a fifteen-year old one. Suffice to say any job that involves getting up in the morning in a timely fashion is quite out for her. Kids these days.
If it's sales tickets I am willing to work the angle.

Have her grow a Steven Seagal ponytail.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

KiwiInOz wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
quote="CaptainFluffyBunny"] Or volunteer to let my sweet little fifteen year-old one good shot at yer noggin. :whistle: /quote]

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? Tidy my room? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: I play a lot of music, and I sure do love banjos. What would really interest me and keep me coming back (because I know you all really, really want that) is to talk about banjo rolls, vs clawhammer and frailing. And should we really make distinctions between frailing and clawhammer, or should we acknowledge that the two forms are largely a semantic difference that...?
Thanks for erasing Earl Scruggs, shitlord.

CaptainFluffyBunny

All that would be easy compared to the reality, Kiwi. I am teaching her how to drive.

CaptainFluffyBunny

fuzzy wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: I play a lot of music, and I sure do love banjos. What would really interest me and keep me coming back (because I know you all really, really want that) is to talk about banjo rolls, vs clawhammer and frailing. And should we really make distinctions between frailing and clawhammer, or should we acknowledge that the two forms are largely a semantic difference that...?
Thanks for erasing Earl Scruggs, shitlord.
THOSE ARE ROLLS, ANYBODY SAYING ANYTHING OTHER BLHARGARBRGLE BLATHER!!!

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I find this whole argument between CFB, Com, and some of the others rather amusing.

I'll just put out my thoughts and observations:
1. I live in Baltimore City. In a pretty bad (though luckily VERY mixed) neighborhood. Fights here do tend to end up with people in the hospital (you can read about beaten people in the hospital on quite a regular and quite a few are crippled by these beatings or by gun violence) on a regular basis and very occasionally someone dies. On the order, from my memory of maybe once per decade in this area. Yes, they do lots of kicking people in the head while they are on the ground, stomping on them, etc. Yes, there is lots of concrete around here given its a city neighborhood. No, when I was a kid, even when I was getting beaten by gangs of kids in Elementary school they didn't kick me around when I was down. When I got in individual fights with kids all through HS (and I lived very close to or in Baltimore the vast majority of my life), beating on you repeatedly when you were on the ground did not seem to be a thing. Maybe a desultery kick or two or a punch IF you refused to surrender. But usually not even that. Just my observations. Clearly this varies by area, and maybe by time period, but to me people who beat on helpless people on the ground are thugs.

2. In the video with the fat kid you might notice the little punks punch to the face. There's a concrete wall behind our bully victim. Also you can tell the kid that was thrown will be feeling that for quite some time. He seemed shocked and wobbly.

3. Legally, it is always a misdemeanor or worse to strike someone just because of words. At least in the US. Even 'fighting words' is only used to give the cops excuse to arrest or detain someone to PREVENT such violence.

4. The argument about football without helmets fails because such arguments forget to add that even though the players were on average smaller back then, there were quite a few deaths. Also, since we are finding that lots of this concussion damage is cumulative and not always immediately noticeable with traditional medical methods, I'm sure quite a few old football players carried concussive injuries their entire lives.

5. The arguments as to absolute numbers of deaths are hypocritical unless you'd apply the same standard to stuff like deaths from Domestic Violence. It is estimated that in the 1950's and 60's before widespread adoption of 'no fault ' divorce, before widespread adoption of shelters (68 or so for the first one in the world , 70 or 71 for Erin Prizzy's second in the world shelter, not until the late 70's would they become ubitiquous in Britain or elsewhere), before 'must arrest' or policies, before specialized taskforces, before the hateful Duluth Model , etc, etc, etc, that about 1800 to 2000 women per year in the USA died from domestic partner violence. Now, after ALL of that, the number is reduced to 1200 or thereabouts per year. Men, are somewhere between 3 and 6 hundred dead per year, and some argue that 'no fault divorce' has done the most to reduce these numbers. In terms of rates of relationships -even the violent man-abusing-woman 'burning bed' horrible ones that , depending on what you believe are 1 percent of all relationships or somewhere around 1/100 of one percent of all relationships- the vast vast vast majority of THESE do not end in death.

Yet to save women from a fate that is very rare even considering the very worst relationships, we completely upended society, placed most marriages under the jurisdiction of Kangaroo courts, made super invasive civil remedies and have spent, in total over 100 billion dollars over the years, and possibly even more than that. We've practically reordered a major part of US society and relations between the sexes over six hundred deaths, and the same could be said for most countries in the Western world, and in some other places where they take DV seriously as well.

One could extend this argument to a whole host of other issues as well. People want to practically ban guns (or make them hard to get) due to safety reasons when the number of prepubescent children killed by mishandling a gun in the US is maybe 100 or so a year. People love banning all sorts of porn and /or putting huge restrictions and costs on it for a very statistically small amount of real abuse of the under 12's.

I don't see why this should be any different, really. It's not a good idea to attack defenseless people, no matter HOW MUCH they 'deserve it' and pounding people's head into concrete via kicks or punches is not a good idea. Just ask Trayvon Martin. Doing so to George Zimmerman was what gave George his self defense (never even had to use "Stand your Ground" as a defense) victory and cost TM his life.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:All that would be easy compared to the reality, Kiwi. I am teaching her how to drive.
I feel for your cortisol levels and the car's gearbox.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

As long as you are enjoying it and willing to buy a ticket next week then we are doing our job.

CaptainFluffyBunny

comhcinc wrote:As long as you are enjoying it and willing to buy a ticket next week then we are doing our job.
That could apply to so many things...

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

comhcinc wrote:As long as you are enjoying it and willing to buy a ticket next week then we are doing our job.
That could apply to so many things...
Your daughter's name is now Bunny Seagal.

She needs to watch Marked for Death at least 20 times.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

jimhabegger wrote:Incidentally, in my introduction I forgot to say that I'm nearly half Swiss, from Amish and Mennonite descendants of Swiss immigrants in and around Berne, Indiana.
Explains the forehead. Do you have a shower curtain in your living room, like most swiss, and if so, whats behind it?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Gilliei still snivelling about being called a rape apologist:
giliell
March 21, 2016 at 6:38 am

Saad
Let’s see how long they like it there.
Honestly, I didn’t know that pointing out that there were no organised mass rapes (not that things weren’t bad enough as they are) suddenly makes you a rape apologist.
Of the hundreds of sexual assaults she claims two were rapes. Apparently there were a lot assaults carried out by digital penetration during the gropings. A lot of people would call that rape even if it doesn't qualify legally everywhere. From wikipedo:
Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration perpetrated against a person without that person's consent.
One day they are calling sex with a woman whose blood alcohol is at .08% rape the next day they are going to narrow the definition of rape to preclude penetration with objects that are not penises? And to quibble even when groups are acting together to commit a crime it doesn't mean it's an organized action. Just imagine trying to pull that argument off on Thunderdome when you aren't one of them. Rape apologist would have been mild compared to the names you would be called amid the spitting, shaking, and crying.
Yes Gilliei has well and truly hung herself here. It is pretty clear that by any standard, ingroup, outgroup whatever you choose to apply here she is a rape apologist.

Furthermore, by the rules of her set unless I am mistaken she is also contributing to rape culture by normalizing it.

Not a nice position to be in if you ask me. Because this is not something that people have taken the least charitable interpretation to unfairly smear her with.

It is based on what she actually wrote and there was nothing ambiguous about it.

It seriously sucks to be Gilliei right now. If she has a falling out with anyone in her in-group in the future, do not be surprised if it is used against her.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
deLurch wrote:
welch wrote:that is a skinny white girl with no sense of how outclassed she is. Talk about your ego writing checks your skills can't cash.
You don't back down from bullies. Otherwise they will keep on coming back for more.

Her prime mistake (had this not been video recorded) was to not be prepared for the punch & to fight back hard. Now if it was a friend of hers recording this, and she knew she could use the recording to put an end to this, then taking a few punches paid off for her.
I'm with you on this.
I'm willing to bet that if the whole story of this were out it wouldn't be the first time Aaliyah pulled that shit. The fact that her parents tossed her out might be a bit of a hint to that.
It's a bit surprising that you and Commie seem to be siding with that bully thug.
Baggage perhaps?

At any rate yes the parents allegedly throwing her out hints that there may be more relevant details which we are unaware.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

So I find myself considering allowing my adolescent cat keep his nerts. There's a clinic next month by the local humane society where I can get it done for forty bucks. He lives among dogs and hasn't seen another cat since tiny.
http://i.imgur.com/g6YcRBd.png

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

fuzzy wrote:So I find myself considering allowing my adolescent cat keep his nerts. There's a clinic next month by the local humane society where I can get it done for forty bucks. He lives among dogs and hasn't seen another cat since tiny.
Who is Tiny?

Really?

Post by Really? »

fuzzy wrote:So I find myself considering allowing my adolescent cat keep his nerts. There's a clinic next month by the local humane society where I can get it done for forty bucks. He lives among dogs and hasn't seen another cat since tiny.
How do you know your cat is a boy?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Hm.

I've never been in a situation where people fought with hands and like, bodies (beyond the odd slap), and the idea seems fairly primitive and backwards to me. I understand logically that teenagers fight having gone to dance class which had some working class girls who talked about fights they were in but this is all somehow very foreign and Mad Max.

So that said...

I think the black girl should be taken off the streets and put in some kind of juvenile delinquent place. The girl is a thug and doesn't deserve to be allowed to be part of society until she learns to be a human. Completely not surprised her parents removed her from the house. Probably a danger to them too.

IMHO.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Fuzzy - Please consider neuticles.

http://www.neuticles.com/

Also you can get them for your cat.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

No excuse to post kitty porn.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote: Fuzzy - Please consider neuticles.
Sounds like a breakfast cereal.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

MarcusAu wrote:
Also you can get them for your cat.
:rimshot:

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Brussels...that's somewhere between Syria and Lebanon?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/22/europe/br ... index.html

Really?

Post by Really? »

mordacious1 wrote:Brussels...that's somewhere between Syria and Lebanon?

Fucking Amish.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

My experience with fighting as a youth is much like John D described. I had a 4 year older brother who had a reputation as tough in a fight, so the older kids left me alone; Wally to my Beaver Cleaver. Also paralleling John D I concluded pretty early in life that absorbing some insult seemed far preferable to demanding satisfaction with fists or rasslin. The one time I got in a fight as an adult, I drew on advice I'd received decades earlier in high school where our Quarterback taught us a few martial arts concepts. Basically I kicked my opponent in the nuts and he collapsed like a sack of potatoes.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Now CNN is stating that there were two explosions (and gun fire) at the departure terminal in Brussels and an explosion at a metro station downtown. Fuckers (the terrorists, not CNN)! The terminal looked pretty damaged.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

mordacious1 wrote:Brussels...that's somewhere between Syria and Lebanon?

How fucking dare you imply this has anything to do with people of Middle Eastern origin. The yelling heard in Arabic just prior to the explosions is purely a coincidence. [/giliell]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Doesn't that put your home at risk for spraying? A male cat is going to mark his territory to attract the non-existent female cats.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I was always getting into fights as a kid. I never won but I never backed down either. I'd rather take a beating than take a hit and walk away. Bruises heal faster than self-respect. If someone hit me it would cost them something.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

mordacious1 wrote:Now CNN is stating that there were two explosions (and gun fire) at the departure terminal in Brussels and an explosion at a metro station downtown. Fuckers (the terrorists, not CNN)! The terminal looked pretty damaged.
The important thing is that we don't make Muslims feel picked on. I'm sure they had their reasons. Shame, they must be very unhappy people to hurt so bad.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

deLurch wrote:
Doesn't that put your home at risk for spraying? A male cat is going to mark his territory to attract the non-existent female cats.
Yeah, good point; I've been reading on that, and I think it's more about marking territory against other males than it is about attracting females, at least that's what I'd be gambling on, and it's kind of isolated here; it'd be a good long walk to where another cat might live. We had a tom when I was 10-12 and as I recall any incidents I'd have called spraying happened outdoors in neighborhood locations; but I was a kid and would have been oblivious to such things. Apparently early neutering stops the behavior pretty much always, but castrating an adult male cat only stops the behavior 3/4 to 9/10 of the time, (all this according to my synthesis of light googling).

There are other stats about life expectancies of toms verses neutered males that look pretty alarming, like 2:1 ratios, but I haven't looked closely at any one such study.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:Now CNN is stating that there were two explosions (and gun fire) at the departure terminal in Brussels and an explosion at a metro station downtown. Fuckers (the terrorists, not CNN)! The terminal looked pretty damaged.
The important thing is that we don't make Muslims feel picked on. I'm sure they had their reasons. Shame, they must be very unhappy people to hurt so bad.
Of overriding concern should be how the refugees are feeling. The inevitable Islamophobic backlash will really hit them hard.

Giliell says we will look back on this period and see it as a new holocaust. I'm beginning to think she is right...

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:"evidence-less analogy"? Only if you insist on putting your head in the sand. Both words, and many similar ones besides, clearly rely on attaching a pejorative connotation to a physiological attribute that is shared by all members of a class. And the clear inference - as it is certainly not stated in most dictionaries - is that if one directs the epithet at one member of the class then one is directing it at all members of it - ergo racist. And by analogy, ergo sexist.
This isn't evidence, this a theory of meaning. Evidence of actual use supports the idea that "cunt" is used as a generic insult against both men and women (just like "dick", although arguably more offensive) and as a vulgar synonym of "vagina" (just like "dick" is used as a vulgar synonym for "penis"), while "nigger" is predominantly used to refer to Afro-Americans, usually with a pejorative connotation, and is understood as and react to as a racist slur.

You're refusing to address the evidence of how words are predominantly used and bury your head in the sand to avoid to revise your theory.

Dictionaries are classification of meanings, but meanings come from use in context. Is it possible to use "cunt" in a sexist way in context? Yes. Is "cunt" used predominantly in a sexist way, just like "nigger" is used predominantly in a racist way? No.
You rather clearly refuse to address that mechanism, the mental machinery, by which many people reach that type of conclusion; you insist on relying on the great god of "descriptivism" - if people think a particular way then it must be right - while conveniently ignoring the prescriptivist aspects of dictionaries, and various sciences such as taxonomy, as I've pointed out several times and which you refuse to address.
That's hilarious. I bring up evidence of actual use (this is what "linguistic descriptivism" means, look it up) and you treat evidence as irrelevant because of dictionaries and "taxonomy". And you call actual evidence a "great god".

Let's imagine a debate between Steersman and Galileo.

Steersman "The evidence from Aristotle's writing and his taxonomy clearly suggests that physical machinery, the mechanism of the skies is so that objects in the outer sky are perfect and incorruptible"

Galileo: "If you use my telescope, you can clearly see that the surface of the moon isn't perfect"

Steersman "You rather clearly refuse to address that mechanism, the mental machinery, by which many people reach that type of conclusion; you insist on relying on the great god of "instruments" - if it can be observed through my instrument then it must be right - while conveniently ignoring the theoretical aspects of Aristotle's writings, and various sciences such as theology and Aristotle studies, as I've pointed out several times and which you refuse to address"

Galieo: "Why don't you look in my telescope? I have evidence that the surface of the moon isn't perfect"

Steersman: "Only if you insist on putting your head in the sand. The moon, and many similar outer sky objects, clearly rely on the priniciple of perfection. And the clear inference - as it is certainly not stated in most Aristotle commentaries - is that if they inhabit the outer sky they must be perfect - ergo perfectly spherical"
Kirbmarc wrote:It seems to me that one of us clearly refuses to address evidence, but it's not me.
What things "seem" like is very frequently not at all the way they actually are. That you clearly refuse to "look under the hood" looks rather anti-scientific and anti-intellectual at best.[/quote]

Do you have any actual evidence for your theory of meaning other than "I think they share the same mental machinery"? Do you have neurological or psychological studies that show that the mental machinery you propose exist, and that the use of words in context is irrelevant to their meaning?

Or do you simply refuse to look at the evidence of different use and rely only on your theoretical "analogy"?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Brive1987 wrote:
Probably some skinny teen called them nigga. Totally justified response...

feathers

Post by feathers »

VickyCaramel wrote:I believe Whiff-whaff was played with a golf ball and cigar boxes for bats, over a wall of books. It was invented in India by the British along with other parlour games such as snooker and pool. Makes you wonder how the British army had time for all that genocide i keep hearing about.
Bit of the ol' mustard gas, I presume. I'd stay inside too, if I'd deployed that.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

It's a waste of time engaging Steers in debate.

When he refers to 'mental machinery' he's not being metaphorical.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Yet another example of cultural appropriation. This woman has put up a lot of videos and they are always some fucking Bosnian or Croation ballard

[youtube]6qHDajt4ve0[/youtube]

Or this one. Look what she has done to this Serbian song. And she is Purto Rican ...

[youtube]VmwTbguPzrY[/youtube]

erm you know that perhaps sounds like some Serrbian appropriated some Reagge which she is now singing along to ... sometime I get so confused about who/what is actually being appropriated by exactly who.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

For no particular reason, here is my stuck-to-duct-tape collection of ticks I've pulled out of my neighbor's dog in the last few days. Actually, the one in the upper right came out of my own leg a few hours ago. I'm not going to inline it because it's icky :-P http://i.imgur.com/FaB4f0j.png

I have received advice on a flea treatment from another friend, and may be donating to treat this dog, who is a really really cool dog.

feathers

Post by feathers »

fuzzy wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Let's talk about getting drunk and stealing street signs.
I totally did that. My parents found one of the signs and I was in deep shit.
Or rather, you didn't know where you were because you'd stolen all the street signs. Those people probably weren't even your parents.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Of overriding concern should be how the refugees are feeling. The inevitable Islamophobic backlash will really hit them hard.

Giliell says we will look back on this period and see it as a new holocaust. I'm beginning to think she is right...
Really?

http://i.imgur.com/LlDFvPZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jmviZU8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RNUfrHs.jpg

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

I don't understand the gigantic arguement about the girls fighting. The answer to why it's commendable, in the eyes of some people at least, is because the one commiting the violent act is a PoC, and thus lower(higher?) on the totem pole of victimhood. If this was about a taller, stronger, fatter white girl beating the shit out of a black girl cause she got called a white bitch or cracker or the usual racist shit angry black bitches sling at white girls as a matter of course, the discussion would be about how she's a racist and her actions are abhorent.

About the completely unsurprising terrorist attack, should just quarantine the entire Molenbeek neighborhood then burn it to the ground. And then hang this piece of shit for treason https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Moureaux.

Keating

Post by Keating »

KiwiInOz wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:snip
My wife works in mental health and she notes that the incidence of acquired brain injury is huge (in Australia). One of her bugbears is that car crash news items, for example, report on the number of deaths but not on the far higher number that now have ABI and a significantly reduced quality of life.
My mum used to work for a lawyer who said that if you hit someone on the road, you should make sure they're dead for exactly this reason. A corpse won't leave you on the hook for medical treatment for the rest of their lives.