The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
VickyCaramel

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by VickyCaramel »

Dave wrote: On the other hand, the Trump Steaks, and Trump University and Trump etc, are telling, to me. One, they show his business for what it is -- a licensing business and brand development, not real-estate development. Two, as mentioned above, I personally know others in real-estate. For those who are successful, they wouldnt bother with most of this shit, because its not worth their time -- they make more money working on their RE deals. So this really suggests he is not as successful as he claims. Three, part of his claim is that hes very good at picking the right people, but the failures of many of these ventures suggests his record for picking the right people is not as good as he claims it is. He certainly didnt pick the right people to license his name to in Trump Steaks or Trump University.
But that is assuming that it's all about the money. If you or I were starting any kind of business, we would probably be looking to get wealthy, possibly even rich. For a lot of the millionaires and billionaires, the money is just one metric of the game, and it is playing the game they really enjoy. So they go into risky ventures in order to put their name on another thing.

I heard one millionaires say that he hires people that keep his feet on the ground, and there are certain areas of his business that he won't even go near because he is impulsive, a risk taker, and too competitive for his own good. Essentially they are there to remind him that he is there to make money.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:John Oliver nailed it with his piece on Trump. The man was born into money. He's not that great of a businessman, with several spectacular failures and bankruptcies under his belt. He is an exceptional self-promoter, wildly inflating his net worth and thus giving the impression he's such a great businessman. And finally, he views the truth the same way a lemur views the supreme court vacancy.

I don't believe Oliver will ever understand how much he embodies the smug liberal attitude that made Trump a success, but he's spot on in his assessment of the man.
Trump would be a lot richer if he'd just put his money into an S&P 500 Index Tracker:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-proba ... 20366.html

He could be twice as wealthy if he'd done something that requires no effort or intelligence.
And had a time machine.

That analysis requires that he invested at the bottom of the bear market in 1982. (And that all of his assets at the time were liquid. Generally RE assets are considered the opposite of liquid.) Market timing is hard, and most stock market advisors failed to pick the bottom at the time. It also ignores that he built the $500M fortune in the first place, which would have requires substantially greater growth than the S&P up to that point.

But overall, not as bad as The Nation who claims that if he invested the money he inherited from his father int eh S&P in 1974, he would be richer than he is today. The problem with that analysis is Fred Trump didnt die until 1999.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BillHampReturns wrote: Trump is a success not just because of smug liberal attitudes, but because a lot of people are tired of being called bigots, racist, and worse simply because they don't share liberal opinions. SJWs are just an extreme form of liberalism, but the basic tendencies to silence others, shout them down, and resort to violence (it's okay when they do it) is always there. Every liberal movement I have ever watched has been filled with anger that is either barely contained or not contained at all and spills over into violence. They aren't interested in debate, discourse, or discussion. Their philosophy is that they are right, evidence be damned, and they will ensure that everyone else believes as they do even if they have to bludgeon them to death to demonstrate it. Liberals are bullies and many people, both conservative and middle-of-the-road types, are tired of it. They'd rather have someone like Trump in office, someone who won't take the bullying, even if they have to sacrifice some ideology or overlook certain flaws. The fact of the matter is, and liberals should take this to heart, is that Trump is more palatable than someone like Clinton or Sanders who is constantly framing every opponent as an asshole, idiot, imbecile, bigot, racist, etc.

As an aside, Trump is more successful than anyone he is going up against. Regardless of what Oliver or any other talking head has to say, Trump's success is quite obvious. These stories about bankruptcy or failed university attempts come across as exactly what they are .. desperation. People are tired of politics as usual and if the establishment hasn't caught on, then good riddance.
QFT

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:What sorts of jobs do you think are lost to foreign workers, vs. the ones lost to immigrants?
Wow, you're good. You got me. They are now growing iceberg lettuce in the suburbs of Seoul, thanks to KORUS.

Dave

Post by Dave »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Dave wrote: On the other hand, the Trump Steaks, and Trump University and Trump etc, are telling, to me. One, they show his business for what it is -- a licensing business and brand development, not real-estate development. Two, as mentioned above, I personally know others in real-estate. For those who are successful, they wouldnt bother with most of this shit, because its not worth their time -- they make more money working on their RE deals. So this really suggests he is not as successful as he claims. Three, part of his claim is that hes very good at picking the right people, but the failures of many of these ventures suggests his record for picking the right people is not as good as he claims it is. He certainly didnt pick the right people to license his name to in Trump Steaks or Trump University.
But that is assuming that it's all about the money. If you or I were starting any kind of business, we would probably be looking to get wealthy, possibly even rich. For a lot of the millionaires and billionaires, the money is just one metric of the game, and it is playing the game they really enjoy. So they go into risky ventures in order to put their name on another thing.

I heard one millionaires say that he hires people that keep his feet on the ground, and there are certain areas of his business that he won't even go near because he is impulsive, a risk taker, and too competitive for his own good. Essentially they are there to remind him that he is there to make money.
I know a fair number of millionaires personally, as in drinks with them weekly. No billionaires yet, but several that are 9-figures and closing in. For the vast majority of them it is all about the money. They got where they are, for the most part, by a laser-like focus on one metric of the game. All I can say is I cant picture any one of them deciding to do The Apprentice. Certainly not for the $50,000/episode Trump originally got from it. They would see licensing their brand to a mail-order steak company as a dilution of that brand, not as getting their name out.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Dave wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: I suspect that Trump might actually be good for the USA. I am under the impression he would:

1. Scale back the military, which implies pulling out of all/most of the foreign adventures & regime changes.
2. Reverse job losses from H1B visas, and send illegals home.
3. Restructure international trade.

Who knows, he might even tackle your crumbling infrastructure as well.
Im really curious, what gives you that impression?

1 - His obsession with anyone who self-touts their abilities is tailor-made for supporting the Military-Industrial complex.

2 - While his rhetoric says one thing, his business practices say another. As a large proponent of the phrase, "actions speak louder than words" Im inclined to believe his actions over his rhetoric.

3 - Here, you might have a point based on his actual experience (as well as self-promotion) as a negotiator. However, International trade deals are a much different process than business deals, the latter of which often have a much greater face-to-face component, the former are almost completely negotiated via proxies.

On your last point, I have seen nothing to indicate he is even aware of the issue. Is this anything but wishful thinking?
My understanding of Donald Trump is that is actual talent is for hiring the 'right man for the job'. He may well identify a problem like the Industrial Military Complex and decided it needs sorting out, and set somebody on it. But it is now a complex problem... like an addiction, there is no way to sort it out without the economy going through some painful withdrawal symptoms.

I think it far more likely that he will tackle some easier problems. Although he is not a person I think of alongside the likes of Warren Buffet, he does seem to be a man who can get things done.
Ha! Get things done? He's never done a real day's work in his life. He was born into money. 4 of his businesses have filed bankruptcy in the last 25 years.

Trump doesn't stand for anything, that's his problem. Do white working class people really think he gives two shits about them? If he's the POTUS it will be business as usual. Scale back the military? Pig's ass he will. He will have people in his cabinet who will do the real work and nudge him in the "right" direction and he will just go around blustering and blowing hot air like he does. It would be much worse if a bible thumping fanatic like Cruz gets the GOP nomination IMO.

Stout

Post by Stout »

deLurch wrote:
Stout wrote:I'm totally in agreement over Spy and I'm going to wait for the IMDb rating and reviews before I even consider giving Ghostbusters a watch.

I'm currently wrapping up watching season 2 of the 100 and given that show rocks the diversity angle with women in almost all the positions of power and the bad guys being mostly white, I was expecting to find several SJW analyses gushing over this show.

I came up empty.
The mountain men part held promise.

But there was just so much stupid teen angst bullshit going on, and not enough mutant future earth stuff. And all of the stupid choices... And the lead women keep on forgetting what that asshole just did 5 seconds ago in order to form a new alliance that will last for all of 5 hours before she gets fucked over again.

So is the show improving? Or are the leads still morons?
Clark remains pretty much a moron who, like Carrie in Homeland is basically made of luck until the end of season 2 ( I actually finished the season it last night ) but I don't want to post spoilers unless nobody cares.

Bellamy drops the authoritarian asshole routine and actually becomes a sympathetic character. Lexa remains pretty much the hard as nails warrior, Thelonious goes whacko, Octavia becomes pretty much like Lexa. Jasper assumes a leadership role and he's pretty much "with the program" so to speak.

I found the character development interesting enough to be able to ignore/absorb the many WTF? moments when it came to science, moments I won't mention due do spoilers but to hint at just one of them, the nuclear missile bit.

After a while it becomes easy to forget that the 100 are a bunch of kids with zero experience.

I was hoping for more mutants too but the show dropped that angle pretty quick in favour of the tribal conflict theme with the show moving at such a pace that there's never a dull moment. Even the backstory flashback are interesting.

The Yeti

Post by The Yeti »

Regarding Trump, this article provides the perfect example of why Trump is winning in the GOP:
http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/12/natio ... ve-to-die/

Basically, you have a prominent pundit for the "GOP Establishment" openly expressing his contempt for the working class. While he specifically denigrates the white working class, there is no doubt I'm my mind that he hates all working class people. It is no wonder people support Trump despite his idiotic antics.

BTW, Kevin Williamson of National Review is an asshole on par with the worst of the SJWs. He also is as quick to block critics on Twiiter as any SJW.

windy

Post by windy »

comhcinc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
I missed the Kickstarter video. Linky anyone?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... -the-orbit
"Our contributors are cis and trans, male, female and nonbinary, queer and in some cases straight, kinky and polyamorous, asexual and active in the adult industry. We're Boomers, Gen-X:ers, millennials, black, white, Hispanic, Desi, Jewish, Romani, migrants and children of migrants, mentally ill and physically impared, socially and economically marginal."

No token sane able-bodied bloggers? :think:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Some of those turning violent against have a history of being violent. Thomas DiMassimo the guy who tried to attack Trump for example was stirring shit here in Atlanta a couple months back.

He has this pinned to the top of his twitter. This pampered rich kid truly believes he is constantly risking his life and fighting the good fight.
I have yet to see that guy get into a physical fight outside of when he tried to rush the stage on Trump.

However he does have a violent rhetoric on this twitter stream that cannot be discounted.
Since he likes attention he tends to do his thing at places were there is a large security presence that is able to protect him. Notice that first video where he is dancing around yelling "Sherman's march" over and over.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The degrees of opinion on Trump in da pyt, is part of what makes the Pit, the Pit. Awesomeness dude.

John Oliver is a twat, I watched his piece, on Apple encryption and found I agreed with everything he said. But I do find that a rarity. Oliver is not Colbert. Colbert is parody. Oliver is not Stewart, Stewart,was an absurdist, who recognised the whole game is the joke, and played the role of highlighting the funniest bits.

Oliver is a sjw whose opinions are as far out there, as those he scathes. Plus as Sulman said, the personality type maybe lost in translation to a US audience, but here, it's seen as an obnoxious, deceptive little shit. Remember that twat from the bbc who did the blockbot feature, Paul Mason, Yeah him. About as much regard for the truth if it doesn't serve his view, as Donald Trump.

On Trump. Sure he loves wealth, but I think Trump is all about his ego, the wealth is a facet/prop of his ego, and that ego rests on thin ice ontop of a very damaged individual. Trump is all about the trump brand for a reason. I wouldn't want to be someone who hurt his feelings if he got to be potus.

[youtube]5q3z4IP_nNU[/youtube]

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Karmakin wrote:
John D wrote:This is one of the best opinions pieces I have read on why Trump is popular. My Brother-In-Law lives in Western Virginia. He is quite well off because he is a lawyer, but this area of the country has had crushing poverty for many years. It is important to remember that most poor people in America are white. The poverty rate for whites has stayed fixed for about 30 years while the poverty rate for black has declined. Blacks still have a higher poverty rate than whites, but they are closing the gap. So, when does someone start talking about white poverty? Maybe they start now....
http://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/a ... ps-america
He is strongest in Appalachia because the biggest indicator of support for Trump, according to a survey by the RAND Corporation, is agreeing with the statement, "people like me don't have any say."
<snip>

Where I go crazy with this stuff, speaking as someone on the left, is the idea that we can fight these feelings of disempowerment by....disempowering them even more. Yeah. That's a great idea. Let's turn our ideas into what is essentially an existential threat to them. Sure, that will get their support.
I'm 100% on board with this, but struggle to find a solution. When the vast evangelical population of America tells me they feel disempowered and threatened because we're steamrolling their concerns, and their concerns are that gay marriage is bad because it says so in the bible (this is not a straw man, this is what millions of Americans believe), what am I suppose to say? I respect your position? You're clearly well read on this subject, and I think we can both are making some good points?

It's bullshit. They are ignorant. They are being xenophobic. At certain point I don't know to phrase it any more gently, and compromising would just be one big golden mean fallacy. As Dennett said, back in the day, there's just not a polite way to suggest to someone their entire worldview is wrong, right down to the foundations.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

jet_lagg wrote:John Oliver nailed it with his piece on Trump. The man was born into money. He's not that great of a businessman, with several spectacular failures and bankruptcies under his belt. He is an exceptional self-promoter, wildly inflating his net worth and thus giving the impression he's such a great businessman. And finally, he views the truth the same way a lemur views the supreme court vacancy.

I don't believe Oliver will ever understand how much he embodies the smug liberal attitude that made Trump a success, but he's spot on in his assessment of the man.

[youtube]DnpO_RTSNmQ[/youtube]
Oliver killed his effort by wrapping it up with "Make Donald Drumph Again." Congratulations, to Oliver. The biggest thing people think about and gets repeated the most often is the mindless useless attack which people are sick of.

Soapy Stevens

Post by Soapy Stevens »

Stout wrote:Clark remains pretty much a moron who, like Carrie in Homeland is basically made of luck until the end of season 2 ( I actually finished the season it last night ) but I don't want to post spoilers unless nobody cares.
The problem with Clark's character is that she is more symbol than character. She kinda represents the Hard Choices that Moral America Faces in a Hostile World. She has to choose between a shit sandwich and shit sandwich with spikes but chocolate topping and show how difficult that is. The other characters develop much better and the writers showed a refreshing willingness not to make hard distinctions between good and bad, especially for Clark's BF.

I'd be interested to know how that differs to the books (I haven't read them) and how much Clark's character in the series reflects the way studios develop series. My feeling is that it started life as an ensemble thing but got subverted by the suits who demanded "a strong lead character Middle America can identify with".

However, I think it's a lot stronger than the teen-angst drama it was commissioned as.

I think the SJWs are nervous about dealing with it because anything too positive will lay them open to claims of privileged whites reasserting their claim to the Earth. With the exception of Strong Tribal Woman, black characters have either wound up quickly dead, mad or ultraviolent zombie.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:What sorts of jobs do you think are lost to foreign workers, vs. the ones lost to immigrants?
Wow, you're good. You got me. They are now growing iceberg lettuce in the suburbs of Seoul, thanks to KORUS.
You're arguing against something I neither said nor implied.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Dave wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:If I thought for a second they'd actually honor their promises I'd put down the full 100 for the banner ad myself.
Go for it. If they don't let you it would be fraud.

http://i.imgur.com/R1pk9UH.jpg

They have to throw up a banner ad (that they approve of) for two weeks and you get to choose the time and placement.

It would be worth it just so you can start out way past where they are comfortable and slowly move it down until they are.
"Subject to network approval."
People seem to be reading that as if to say they could choose not to run an ad from a certain person or group. That's not the case here. They are offering a two week banner ad as a reward. As such they don't get to dictate who is allowed to get the ad. If you give them the money and the kickstarter is funded then they have to give you the ad space or it's fraud. Plain and simple.

Now they do get final approval of the ad itself and that means that they can be very resistant for any number of reasons good and bad. I never thought they didn't and was even talking the jollys of the back and forth that could cause.

John D

Post by John D »

Dave wrote:
John D wrote:This is one of the best opinions pieces I have read on why Trump is popular. My Brother-In-Law lives in Western Virginia. He is quite well off because he is a lawyer, but this area of the country has had crushing poverty for many years. It is important to remember that most poor people in America are white. The poverty rate for whites has stayed fixed for about 30 years while the poverty rate for black has declined. Blacks still have a higher poverty rate than whites, but they are closing the gap. So, when does someone start talking about white poverty? Maybe they start now....
Have not read the article, but your claims about poverty rates seems off:

White poverty rates have been reasonably steady from the mid 1970s, having minor jumps in the early 80s and early 90s that were each recovered from after about 2-3 years, and actually had a minor decline around 2000, but have been increasing markedly since.

Black poverty rates jumped in the early 80s (around the 82 recession, just like white poverty did) but did not recover throughout the 80s and only began to drop back to mid-70s levels in late 90s into 2000. They have increased since.

IOW, the only reason you can claim that black rates have been dropping over the past 30 years is because you are picking a high-point (when blacks missed the mid-80s recovery) as your starting point.
Tables showing US Census data for poverty rates. Black poverty has declined very significantly since the 1960s. Blacks are clearly making progress... but whites.... no progress at all since the late 60s.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty ... rdp03.html

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

feathers wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Commie: How did the weasel work out?
Mostly by running around the house, nibbling some cables on the way. That's how weasels work out.

Hitchens has turned out not to be too interested in cables so which I was concerned with. His biggest pastimes are stalking children and testing the ferret proofing.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:You're arguing against something I neither said nor implied.
You say that as if it were a bad thing.

John D

Post by John D »

John D wrote:
Dave wrote:

White poverty rates have been reasonably steady from the mid 1970s, having minor jumps in the early 80s and early 90s that were each recovered from after about 2-3 years, and actually had a minor decline around 2000, but have been increasing markedly since.

Black poverty rates jumped in the early 80s (around the 82 recession, just like white poverty did) but did not recover throughout the 80s and only began to drop back to mid-70s levels in late 90s into 2000. They have increased since.

IOW, the only reason you can claim that black rates have been dropping over the past 30 years is because you are picking a high-point (when blacks missed the mid-80s recovery) as your starting point.
Tables showing US Census data for poverty rates. Black poverty has declined very significantly since the 1960s. Blacks are clearly making progress... but whites.... no progress at all since the late 60s.

and here is one with a pretty chart.
http://www.irp.wisc.edu/faqs/faq3.htm
FAQ3-Fig1-2012.png
(284.5 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

John D wrote:
Dave wrote:

I never understood how the lower classes (working class is a misnomer) continually vote for people diametrically in opposition to them (conservative). Trickle down economics is a pyramid scheme. Carlin talked about the American dream, and the big con was making the people at the bottom believe it could be them, but in reality, it is a dream, because you have to be unconcious to fucking believe in it.

We saw it in the UK. The Tories (conservatives) applied the old divide and conquer routine, convincing the poor, that the ones fucking them over were the undeserving poor, and not the cunts at the top who finance their party. Hence they got elected, shortly after they tried to push through the removal of tax credits for the poor, who all rose up in outrage screaming that they were the deserving poor. I found the irony delicious, and had great fun on facebook telling wankers they were getting exactly what they voted for.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Stout wrote:
rayshul wrote: Spy was fucking amazing. I found it hard to believe how fucking amazing it was. It shouldn't have been that good. My hopes for Ghostbusters are lower though. :(

I'm totally in agreement over Spy and I'm going to wait for the IMDb rating and reviews before I even consider giving Ghostbusters a watch.

I'm currently wrapping up watching season 2 of the 100 and given that show rocks the diversity angle with women in almost all the positions of power and the bad guys being mostly white, I was expecting to find several SJW analyses gushing over this show.

I came up empty.
I haven't seen Spy. It looked good. I have liked other movies starring Melissa McCarthy.

Btw she has another movie coming out soon that is not Ghostbusters for those who might enjoy it. I was kinda of Meh about this too.

[youtube]XQSoTlFcyNo[/youtube]

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

comhcinc wrote: People seem to be reading that as if to say they could choose not to run an ad from a certain person or group. <snip>
Because that's essentially what it says, especially when we're talking about that group. They'll shoot down every idea that doesn't fall within their razor thin worldview and by the end you'll find you've just dropped a hundred bucks to promote Greta's rape porn.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

VickyCaramel wrote:
BillHampReturns wrote:

Trump is a success not just because of smug liberal attitudes, but because a lot of people are tired of being called bigots, racist, and worse simply because they don't share liberal opinions. SJWs are just an extreme form of liberalism, but the basic tendencies to silence others, shout them down, and resort to violence (it's okay when they do it) is always there. Every liberal movement I have ever watched has been filled with anger that is either barely contained or not contained at all and spills over into violence. They aren't interested in debate, discourse, or discussion. Their philosophy is that they are right, evidence be damned, and they will ensure that everyone else believes as they do even if they have to bludgeon them to death to demonstrate it. Liberals are bullies and many people, both conservative and middle-of-the-road types, are tired of it.
You realize that most of the people on this forum would identify as liberal, with a fair few of us straying further to the left into socialism?

Unlike the word 'feminism', the word 'liberal' cannot so easily be tainted by a few fringe loonies, especially as they are decidedly illiberal.
"Liberal" is a strange word. In the UK, it means anything from "vaguely well-meaning" to "supports civil liberties". In most of Europe it means "pro-free market capitalism". Among the American right it seems to mean something like "totalitarian".

In the UK, I think there are four main political tribes. There are the traditionalists, the economic liberals, the social liberals, and the socialists. The Conservative Party is a coalition of traditionalists, who love queen and country and old-fashioned values, and don't much like foreigners, minorities, or new-fangled attitudes, and economic liberals, who love the free market and don't want anything getting in the way of people making money, like worker's rights or environmental protection. The Labour Party is a coalition of socialists, who resent the fact that some people have more than others and think they can fix it by taxation, redistribution, nationalisation, and if all else fails, naked spite, and social liberals, who advocate equality in terms of supporting marginalised minorities and opposing discrimination, which at its worst becomes the divisive sectarian identity politics we all know and love.

From the outside, in the US, the coalitions are much the same only more extreme. The Republicans are a coalition of the religious fanatics, the economic liberals and the don't-tread-on-me libertarians who think all governments are Hitler, and the Democrats are a coalition of social liberals who have gone further down the identity politics rabbit hole, and Occupy-style socialists who don't seem to believe in anything but hating bankers.

That's my take anyway. Where I come from in Northern Ireland, there are Protestants, who hate Catholics and want to stay in the union with Britain largely to spite them, and Catholics, who hate the Brits and want to be part of a united independent Ireland, but don't realise the Brits are about the only thing protecting them from Protestant spite.

Dave

Post by Dave »

John D wrote:
Dave wrote:

Your table cuts off at 2001. You can get the full data here: https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty ... eople.html

Black poverty rate (18-64) 1974 -- 22.6, 2014 -- 22.6 Doesnt seem like a lot of progress to me. (74 selected as start of full dataset)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jet_lagg wrote:
comhcinc wrote: People seem to be reading that as if to say they could choose not to run an ad from a certain person or group. <snip>
Because that's essentially what it says, especially when we're talking about that group. They'll shoot down every idea that doesn't fall within their razor thin worldview and by the end you'll find you've just dropped a hundred bucks to promote Greta's rape porn.
In this case they have given up the right to choose who they are doing business with because it's a reward. It's not like buying space with them.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The Yeti wrote:Regarding Trump, this article provides the perfect example of why Trump is winning in the GOP:
http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/12/natio ... ve-to-die/

Basically, you have a prominent pundit for the "GOP Establishment" openly expressing his contempt for the working class. While he specifically denigrates the white working class, there is no doubt I'm my mind that he hates all working class people. It is no wonder people support Trump despite his idiotic antics.

BTW, Kevin Williamson of National Review is an asshole on par with the worst of the SJWs. He also is as quick to block critics on Twiiter as any SJW.
Read what Williamson wrote, substitute all the "white" with "black" and you'll get a Stormfront article.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

comhcinc wrote:
Really? wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: So, so good. To repeat for the thousandth time: just compare our Shoopers' skills and sense of humor with the SJWs'. It's like Seinfeld versus a live feed from a webcam inside a ping pong ball.

PS, just spotted the Surlyramics. Always something new to see with our Shoopers.
You bring up an important question. Why haven't we made our own Surlies?
It has been explained to me by a knowledgeable person that it would be easy and affordable to do.

Personally I am not going to walk around with poetry hung around my neck for an inside joke, but it could be done.
Shrinky Dinks

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Peez is going off on that article as well.

Gosh, don't let him know he agrees with Pitters on something. He'd have a fit.

Thing is, these disaffected masses are basically Trump's for the taking. Republicans treat them like scum for being poor and enough Democrats treat them like scum for being white and often male for them to not be too thrilled with them either, despite the Dems tending to push for more social policies that aid the working poor.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Whaaat? Peez put up a post and tweet appreciative of R Crumb?

I don't think he has any idea who Crumb is. Crumb's a for-real American genius, but I doubt that opinion gets any mileage in social justice circles.

Yet, here's Peez calling the creator of Angelfood McSpade a "master artist".

Again, I really don't think Peez knows who he is :lol:

http://imgur.com/LMhniJc.jpg

John D

Post by John D »

Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:

Your table cuts off at 2001. You can get the full data here: https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty ... eople.html

Black poverty rate (18-64) 1974 -- 22.6, 2014 -- 22.6 Doesnt seem like a lot of progress to me. (74 selected as start of full dataset)
This one is better.
FAQ3-Fig1-2012.png
(284.5 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Ape+lust wrote:Whaaat? Peez put up a post and tweet appreciative of R Crumb?

I don't think he has any idea who Crumb is. Crumb's a for-real American genius, but I doubt that opinion gets any mileage in social justice circles.

I mean it fits his usual pattern of extremes. Make fun of someone or something PZ hates and you'll be his favorite person for a day, then just as quickly be branded the new worst person in the world once he finds out you don't agree with all of his opinions on everything. See Jaclyn Glenn and others.

Dave

Post by Dave »

John D wrote:
Dave wrote:

This one is better.
FAQ3-Fig1-2012.png
Whats the data source? The datapoints on that chart dont seem to match up with any of the Census data linked above.

Stout

Post by Stout »

Soapy Stevens wrote:
Stout wrote:Clark remains pretty much a moron who, like Carrie in Homeland is basically made of luck until the end of season 2 ( I actually finished the season it last night ) but I don't want to post spoilers unless nobody cares.
The problem with Clark's character is that she is more symbol than character. She kinda represents the Hard Choices that Moral America Faces in a Hostile World. She has to choose between a shit sandwich and shit sandwich with spikes but chocolate topping and show how difficult that is. The other characters develop much better and the writers showed a refreshing willingness not to make hard distinctions between good and bad, especially for Clark's BF.
Agreed. Clake simply seized the leadership role despite growing up in a society where leaders were elected democratically and somehow, intuitively, knew what was best for everybody while accepting very little in the way of council from her backers. As a for instance, in the meeting at the bridge scene, the one where Lexa tells them they're intruders on our land, it didn't appear that Clarke even considered asking Lexa where she thought the 100 should go, or what they should do with this situation that they were forced into.

I just figured that a strong willed woman like Clarke would be the toast of feminists everywhere as she breaks every gender stereotype in the book, like having the same hairstyle for two seasons.
I think the SJWs are nervous about dealing with it because anything too positive will lay them open to claims of privileged whites reasserting their claim to the Earth. With the exception of Strong Tribal Woman, black characters have either wound up quickly dead, mad or ultraviolent zombie.
That's a possibility for sure and it's even a line of attack against the show should someone want to go after it from an SJW perspective. However Indra makes out alright and Lincoln ( holy crap, I thought Lincoln was black but I appear to be in error ) pulled it together in the end.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Sunder wrote:Peez is going off on that article as well.

Gosh, don't let him know he agrees with Pitters on something. He'd have a fit.

Thing is, these disaffected masses are basically Trump's for the taking. Republicans treat them like scum for being poor and enough Democrats treat them like scum for being white and often male for them to not be too thrilled with them either, despite the Dems tending to push for more social policies that aid the working poor.
The Democrats are just chock full of things to help 'working women' or get women or colored minorities into this or that cushy (almost always government and/or non-manual, non-manufacturing, non-extractive) job.

For the white male truck driver?
The Elites in both parties give him Open Borders and lesser regulations for his Mexican competitors.

As for the Democrats they openly allow the Identitarians in their party to attack him (and propose and pass policies based on this prejudice)personally as the cause of Everything Wrong with America and the world.

The Republicans, until now, at least paid lip service ...occasionally.

:(

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Donald Trump is just the Bizzaro world version of Richard Carrier.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Minimum wage, public works, and unions are more what I had in mind. Traditionally Democratic policies that happen to be quite broadly popular but which they're failing to really push mostly due to identity politics and caving to big business interests.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Sunder wrote:Minimum wage, public works, and unions are more what I had in mind. Traditionally Democratic policies that happen to be quite broadly popular but which they're failing to really push mostly due to identity politics and caving to big business interests.
That's the old New Deal Democrats. The last one was Lyndon Johnson. Since then we've had Bill Clinton's "triangulation" and Obama's "pragmatism." We're still living in the Reagan era no matter who is president, though I think that candidate Trump (he doesn't really need to win anything more to make this point) might signal the beginning of the end of old Conservative Movement's domination of the GOP.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sunder wrote:Minimum wage, public works, and unions are more what I had in mind. Traditionally Democratic policies that happen to be quite broadly popular but which they're failing to really push mostly due to identity politics and caving to big business interests.
To me it has to do with the Democrats falling to fight the Republicans when it come to social classes. For years if class was brought up the Republicans would yell and scream "class warfare". It worked so now Democrats talk identity politics for the most part.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Better watch that Marxist talk, pinko

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Tigzy wrote:
Caine and I are buddies now, I'm thinking of helping her mod her blog. :whistle:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jet_lagg wrote:Better watch that Marxist talk, pinko

Lol exactly. Democrats have always seemed to me to be so afraid of being labeled something they can't effectively make their case.

You can call most Republicans just about anything in the books and most are smart enough to just deny it and move on. They understand that most people are not going to believe it and most of the people that do believe is not going to be convinced otherwise.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I second your 'Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?'

PZ Myers would NEVER make fun of someone's appearance!

This post must not be real!

lol.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

For those of you who care here is a quick video of Hitchens playing. I didn't capture him attacking the fan.

[youtube]ErxkSQcYJOQ[/youtube]

And some pictures of him awake.

http://i.imgur.com/DNhyZTJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aQqNnRT.jpg

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Za-zen wrote:
I never understood how the lower classes (working class is a misnomer) continually vote for people diametrically in opposition to them (conservative). Trickle down economics is a pyramid scheme. Carlin talked about the American dream, and the big con was making the people at the bottom believe it could be them, but in reality, it is a dream, because you have to be unconcious to fucking believe in it.

We saw it in the UK. The Tories (conservatives) applied the old divide and conquer routine, convincing the poor, that the ones fucking them over were the undeserving poor, and not the cunts at the top who finance their party. Hence they got elected, shortly after they tried to push through the removal of tax credits for the poor, who all rose up in outrage screaming that they were the deserving poor. I found the irony delicious, and had great fun on facebook telling wankers they were getting exactly what they voted for.
The theory for the UK , at least up to the 1970s, used to be , there was quite a significant amount of voting due to deference , So some working/lower classes would more likely vote for an Etonian, or someone from the aristocracy , perpetuating a "ruling class", than someone from their own background , even if it was actually to their detriment.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

ERV wrote:

I second your 'Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?'

PZ Myers would NEVER make fun of someone's appearance!

This post must not be real!
-
lol.
A previous time he tried to ridicule a Republican Presidential candidate it didnt go well....

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/The_M ... g_Incident

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Carrier's latest:
All Kinds of Awesome Is Happening!

We are growing and multiplying!
El-Oh-Fucking-El

I used to think he was just cheerleading for his team when he said stuff like this. Like the kid who gets a sweater from his aunt for Christmas. "Oh my God! I love it! How did you know my favorite color?" Now I think the social justice virus really has driven him to delusion.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

All Kinds of Awesome Is Happening!

We are growing and multiplying!
Like a fungus.

feathers

Post by feathers »

deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Mr. X, Indeed wrote:"anybody of water"?
I have identified as a body of water since being diagnosed with water retention. My pronouns are splish, splash, splosh.
You know you have spent too much time on Tumblr when you read "anybody of water" and it doesn't occur to you that it's a typo.
I hate to tell you this, I think you might be a dike. I think it might be best to stay away little dutch boys.
Still, the Dutch would pay good money if you take up a permanent position.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote:Thibeault sightings are rare enough I was tickled to get a screencap from the Kickstarter video.

http://imgur.com/ItoLEVy.jpg
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

The Putin-Trump love fest continues:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35811495

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

6.00pm in Florida. When do the results start?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

feathers wrote:
deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: I have identified as a body of water since being diagnosed with water retention. My pronouns are splish, splash, splosh.
You know you have spent too much time on Tumblr when you read "anybody of water" and it doesn't occur to you that it's a typo.
I hate to tell you this, I think you might be a dike. I think it might be best to stay away little dutch boys.
Still, the Dutch would pay good money if you take up a permanent position.
I have a touch of arthritis, I cannot assume the position for very long.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:6.00pm in Florida. When do the results start?
Another 2 hours.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Brive1987 wrote:6.00pm in Florida. When do the results start?
The polls close at 7 pm in Florida so that's when the talking heads can start making predictions.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Za-zen wrote:I never understood how the lower classes (working class is a misnomer) continually vote for people diametrically in opposition to them (conservative).
It appears you do not know what the lower classes want.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Here are the poll closing times of all the states voting today.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/primary-elections-march-15/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Thanx all. Time to pop the corn them

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

comhcinc wrote:For those of you who care here is a quick video of Hitchens playing. I didn't capture him attacking the fan.

[youtube]ErxkSQcYJOQ[/youtube]

And some pictures of him awake.

[img]

[img]
:bjarte:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

I love it: Meyers has clearly never gotten over the times he got flooshed at High School.