Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Parody Accountant

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Parody Accountant »

Ape+lust wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:So what the hell has been going on this last week?

Did I miss any good drama?

I've had no internet the entire week and my dramaboner has been unsatisfied.
Yes. Butterflies and Wheels is swollen with Ophelia's butthurt. Guess how many drama posts she's made, then visit and be wrong by a magnitude.

She's siphoned off a clique of unhappy baboons, so you can enjoy playing "Slymepit or B&W?" while reading comments. The dumbasses still hate us, but concur with a lot of what we've been saying for years.

A running joke is that she's opened a Slymepit outpost in Seattle.
should I just use my parody accountant name or are slimer still Shot on sight

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

CuntajusRationality wrote:A couple of years ago, Robert Zimmerman, brother of George who shot and killed Trayvon Martin, Tweeted that the U.S. Constitution is non-negotiable and sacred. When I pointed out that if that were true there would be no Bill of Rights and he wouldn't have his precious second amendment in the first place, he blocked me.
Wait. Bob Dylan's brother shot Trayvon Martin?

As to the status of gun rights/laws before the Second Amendment: any level of gov't could, in theory, make any law that it wished.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Parody Accountant wrote:
deLurch wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:So what the hell has been going on this last week?
Did I miss any good drama?
I've had no internet the entire week and my dramaboner has been unsatisfied.
Not much. Mostly a bunch of shit posting. Get your scroll wheel ready.
I'm skipping entire days.

What's this pogsurf troll business about. I skimmed hard. I thought he was a slimer?
He went full Steersman. Never go full Steersman.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
RonSwanson wrote:Was out of the country and still catching up but regarding gun ownership to me the weirdest argument for citizens owning guns in the U.S. is the argument that citizens need to be armed in the event the government goes into tyranny mode. Now, they do realize that if that actually happened they'd be facing the most powerful army in the history of humanity in its home turf. A nuclear army at that. Worse, many of these same people holding on to their guns, ready to fight the good fight, have cheered the growth of said army! I mean... WTF?

The only people I've seen recognizing this dilemma are right-libertarians who want their guns, sure, but are sensible enough to push for a smaller military.
And it never occurs to these people that not all of the armed citizenry are going to be pointing their guns in the same direction in the event of a civil war? The chances of the US government turning on it's citizens is so remote that to account for it in any policy is fairly dense. The strongest argument for widespread gun ownership has to be protection against NRA nuts.
Hm. I've always thought it naive to dismiss the possibility of the US government becoming tyrannical. Shit happens.

I'm also not wowed by the argument that armed citizens wouldn't stand a chance against a nuclear attack. Yes, obviously if the US government started fire-bombing or nuking its own cities then guns wouldn't do much good, but since when does warfare come down to either nukes or nothing? In a power struggle over turf, isn't it generally undesirable to completely obliterate said turf? Surely there are other less extreme (and more likely) wartime scenarios in which guns actually might come in handy, or in which would-be invaders might be deterred by a sufficiently armed populace.

(That said, I am in favor of stricter gun control.)

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Just a warning: my eldest two tell me anything under 2 gigs in the video card constitutes child abuse.
I know what you mean. When we lose our ISP due to the weather, etc, to them it's like the world is ending. And a book isn't a viable alternative, because "Book" is a character from a movie (Dark City, which they aren't supposed to have seen yet, regardless of how dad feels about Jennifer Connelly) and they can't watch movies when the power is out. When I tell them about getting up at 5:30 to feed the chickens and horses before doing my 12-mile paper-route, they roll their eyes and joke about it being uphill both ways, to and from school.

I am soooo using their 529s to buy a new car. Little fuckers.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Jesus fuck kids! I am gone a couple of days and all fuck happens. I gave up about 5 pages back. So I am mostly just going to act like it didn't happen, but I am going to pepper in things I wish to comment on from the last couple of days. If it doesn't make sense, it's not my fault for being obtuse and oddly disjointed, it's your fault somehow.

So I have moved out of the room that the awesome people here helped me get and in to an extended stay hotel with a kitchen (and shitty internet). This was because I was suppose to be getting an apartment in a couple of weeks but that has fell through. My mother is still bringing my wee ones up here next weekend. It's a minor bump in the road but it's things are for the most part looking up.

My job is going well and I am kinda taking over the deparment at the end of the week plus I am cross training another department. This is why I am not posting so much. Also I had my two oldest this weekend and we were out having fun.

So Rayshul rocks, the Captain rocks, The FT rocks. Guest can for the most part suck my cock. That racist english guy can for the most part suck my cock.

Finally big shout out to Dogen for keeping Finland Fridays alive in my absence.

Wrestling gifs are sure to follow.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

RonSwanson wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Also the nukes thing is such a non-issue when it comes to a civil war.

No fucking WAY the USA would ever nuke itself. Are you kidding? Nukes are for bombing those foreigners who don't have god-fearing round eyes like us.

Imagine a US general nuking Seattle or Denver. Imagine the reaction from every-fucking-one. LOL.

Good point. I buy this.

As to whether the U.S. Army were able to beat the entire citizenry if they banded together, well, maybe not but if there is an army that would have a chance it would be this one. Although as you say I don't see Americans doing this banding together any more that citizens in other countries when faced with a military coup or a totalitarian regime.

As you say, drones are key. Not sure how much of a support team each drone needs. If it's a small team you could have a small portion of the population fighting the rest and still win.
Wow.

:nin:

Fuck.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

The "Need my guns to protect me from the government" is a historical argument still applies on a small scale. People always assume it's the federal government with their tanks and bombs that people are talking about. Sure the fringe are but the more down to earth people are thinking about local government.

THe local government is much more likely to corrupt and you are much more likely to be dealing with them. I think the great Jamaican thinking Robert Marley wrote a famous piece about this.

It's not very likely to happen but neither are you dieing in a plane crash yet you never hear seem people joking about crazies buckling their seatbelts on planes.

I now living in a large metro area and there is a lot of violence happening every day. I honestly believe that if enough time, effort, and money were put in it, a system could be put in place to make a place like this safer but I also believe that it would be a police state I would not be comfortable living in.

Basically while I would of course like to see less gun violence, I am comfortable with having some gun violence in our society.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Tribble wrote:
feathers wrote:
Tribble wrote:It's true, but it's not the reason. It has to do with nutrients. The warmer the water, the more difficult it is to have upwelling from the colder waters of the sea floor that are rich in nutrients. WIthout those nutrients, your plankton population crashes.

That's why when you have ocean warming along the coast of Oregon, you have these problems. First there is a decrease in Plankton because the upwelling events are weaker or even non-existent. This is followed by a decline of the small, short-lived fish that form the base of the food chain. And that causes shortages that just keep trickling up the food chain all the way to the apex predators -- like the mammals and birds -- that prey on the fisheries.
Why would cold water well up? It's denser than warm water, at least until 4 degrees celcius.

Wind, currents. Warm water travels north on surface. It cools, sinks and heads south. When storms happen, or it hits continental shelves, etc., it upwells. It's a little more complex, but that's the short of it.

http://sciencelearn.org.nz/var/sciencel ... -gyres.jpg

BTW, if you look at the North Atlantic Gyre, the reason Scotland, England and a lot of West Coastal Northern Europe is as mild as it is in the winter is because of that warm ocean current they're not freezing their asses off up there at 55 degrees North (Glasgow). You do that in Russia, and the average daily winter temperature is -10.4C. While in Glasgow it's 6.9C.

Anyway, that's the very short of how it works. And why climate scientists, oceanographers and fisheries biologists get as upset about ocean warming as they do. You screw the upwelling up and you're going to lose all those fisheries. Not only to diseases that can't stand the colder waters but thrive in warmer waters (which have been hitting the pacific salmon and steelhead pretty hard), but to nutrient deficiencies.
Presently there is a toxic plankton bloom off the coast of British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon which could be a factor in the bird die-off. Some of the disease concerns for salmon and steelhead has been linked to the farming operations of Atlantic salmon along the BC coast, however lobbying efforts by the mainly Norwegian corporations have basically given them free rein to fuck up the wild runs.

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

Dammit...all the shitty ass butt fuck dick meanie heads who have been using VPNs to control crusty sock puppets have made it impossible for me to post while using my own VPN.

It took me about ten minutes to figure out that's what was going on when I tried to post earlier and was told that my IP was blocked. Now I have to connect directly to the internet like a caveman.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

free thoughtpolice said:
... the farming operations of Atlantic salmon along the BC coast....
Farming Atlantic salmon on the Pacific coast? Is that right?

Whoa

Post by Whoa »

The Mermaid's shithole is weaponized with an RFID chip implanted by CIA Aliens, any attempt to fuck it sends off a blip to Langley.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:The "Need my guns to protect me from the government" is a historical argument still applies on a small scale. People always assume it's the federal government with their tanks and bombs that people are talking about. Sure the fringe are but the more down to earth people are thinking about local government.
I can't see how it would work on a small scale either.

Have you any examples of how gun owners have successfully fought off local government?

Or how, hypothetically, they could without the situation descending into a bloodbath?

The only conceivable situation in which gun owners will ever challenge the government is if the government comes to take their guns.

A right to own weapons because weapons are necessary to defend your right to own weapons seems rather pointless to me.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

John Greg wrote:free thoughtpolice said:
They migrate.

Famous for it.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Cultural appropriation.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

James Caruthers wrote: Well, I think the same could be said about America's tyranny and various human rights violations. It's simply not "real" for most Americans and doesn't affect them directly enough. So a revolt is unlikely.
Yup. Pretty much.

Regardless of how the preppers think the revolution will play out it still seems to me somewhat counterproductive to pump your potential opponent full of steroids. Or maybe that's what they want quite consciously, to fight a formidable foe and die a glorious death. Honestly, it's tough for me to get in that mindset.

Don't feel bad about being a libtard SJW. I'm one too. Or very close. Before I registered I found myself agreeing with you more than any other commenter here.

Anyway, don't mind me. The authoritarian streak I see in SJWs is pushing me back into reading Orwell, Hitchens, and watching some Chomsky talks. I feel I need to sharpen my civil libertarian side when faced with the pomo SJW brigade.

CaughtUpLockedOut

Post by CaughtUpLockedOut »

Shatterface said,

"Have you any examples of how gun owners have successfully fought off local government? "

Bundy Ranch nutters?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

They take to pens and crowding better than our local type. A few get loose, and have been spotted trying our local runs. Farmed salmon does not taste nearly as good as our fresh-caught fish, but it's cheap.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

dog puke wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
feathers wrote: Strange, I thought the Original Pogsurf was quite a reasonable fellow. Jesper-style schizophrenia perhaps?
Yep, I thought so too, but unless it's a long-term false flag op, it's definitely him. See links upthread to pogsurf's twatter and blog.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but is this not someone that PZ has complained about stalking/harassment that goes back some 20 years or so? I seem to recall reading pogsurf himself saying that there was some truth to PZ's claims - extenuating circumstances notwithstanding.
Dunno, not interested. Best thing to do is ignore.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Liesmith wrote:Dammit...all the shitty ass butt fuck dick meanie heads who have been using VPNs to control crusty sock puppets have made it impossible for me to post while using my own VPN.

It took me about ten minutes to figure out that's what was going on when I tried to post earlier and was told that my IP was blocked. Now I have to connect directly to the internet like a caveman.
Yeah. It would be different if they were funny, but they are the lamest trolls to disgrace themselves here in recent memory. Hopefully they'll see their doc this week and get their meds adjusted.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

SJWs having a go at Chrissie Hynde for taking personal responsibility.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Meanwhile, over at Patheos:
MRAtheists.png
The article is basically the same one we've heard recycled countless times over the past four years.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/accordingt ... st=atheist
Kinda random but Trav Mamone follows one of my tumblrs (not a political one and won't give details lest I doxx myself). A complete coincidence BTW. That's how I first ran into him online. It's a small online world I guess.

His personal tumblr is kinda sad. He's trying to thread the Legitimate-Islam-criticism/Islamophobia needle a bit but that ship has sailed in the A/S community that has SJW leanings. He's a white due FFS! That's completely verboten. Islam is THE third rail. Which is probably why that book Heina promised will never come to light. And if it does it will be some watered down garbage. You know identity politics is complete bullshit when Ayaan Hirsi Ali gets talked over by white men and SJWs nod their heads in agreement.

BTW, Trav Mamone is his real name. Not doxxing (and I won't link to his tumblr just in case, although he does so himself in his twitter and personal sites).

dogen

Post by dogen »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
They take to pens and crowding better than our local type. A few get loose, and have been spotted trying our local runs. Farmed salmon does not taste nearly as good as our fresh-caught fish, but it

Looking up pictures of sea lice is enough to put one off farmed salmon for life.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Lsuoma wrote:SJWs having a go at Chrissie Hynde for taking personal responsibility.
Well, she's always been middle-of-the-road.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

CaughtUpLockedOut wrote:Shatterface said,

"Have you any examples of how gun owners have successfully fought off local government? "

Bundy Ranch nutters?
Not local government, but let's not forget about the Red Dawn scenario. If the U.S. is invaded and our forces crippled by a first strike, who else is going to step up and save us all if not the gun owners?

http://i.imgur.com/Gij78yt.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

comhcinc wrote:
Basically while I would of course like to see less gun violence, I am comfortable with having some gun violence in our society.
I too am comfortable with having some gun violence in your society.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:
comhcinc wrote:The "Need my guns to protect me from the government" is a historical argument still applies on a small scale. People always assume it's the federal government with their tanks and bombs that people are talking about. Sure the fringe are but the more down to earth people are thinking about local government.
I can't see how it would work on a small scale either.

Have you any examples of how gun owners have successfully fought off local government?

Or how, hypothetically, they could without the situation descending into a bloodbath?

The only conceivable situation in which gun owners will ever challenge the government is if the government comes to take their guns.

A right to own weapons because weapons are necessary to defend your right to own weapons seems rather pointless to me.
I don't think I have what you want to see but I also don't think you are understanding the point being made.

The actual threat of having guns is enough to protect people. Here is a good story from NPR about a good book (I have only read pieces of it)

You are thinking of this as an awesome action movie where the corrupt sheriff sends in his swat team on some guy. I am not talking about that though I am sure it might have maybe happened at some point.

I am talking about when local government, say a corrupt police force refuses to protect citizens from domestic terrorist such as the Klan. Or protect a person from a stalker because the stalker is someone "important" in the community. That is corruption too.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
I too am comfortable with having some gun violence in your society.

Ours seems more low keyed than yours.

Damn frogs can't even get petty crime right.

(glad you are feeling better)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimthepleb wrote:Diana Boston or Sael Palani is my favourite and the best. To say anything else would be horribly anti semitic.
Those were the good old days, eh? With Diana pretending to be jewish and all of youtube cracking up over various idiotic things she said. Did you ever hear her insane, multi-video rant she made about youtuber Divinity? It was such a crazed, angry, freak-out that she posted it on another site, knowing that it would be flagged off of youtube for being against their TOS.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Lsuoma wrote:SJWs having a go at Chrissie Hynde for taking personal responsibility.
:rimshot:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:I don't think I have what you want to see but I also don't think you are understanding the point being made.

The actual threat of having guns is enough to protect people. Here is a good story from NPR about a good book (I have only read pieces of it)

You are thinking of this as an awesome action movie where the corrupt sheriff sends in his swat team on some guy. I am not talking about that though I am sure it might have maybe happened at some point.

I am talking about when local government, say a corrupt police force refuses to protect citizens from domestic terrorist such as the Klan. Or protect a person from a stalker because the stalker is someone "important" in the community. That is corruption too.
Your examples of people protecting themselves from the government aren't examples of people protecting themselves from the government.

They're examples of people protecting themselves from the KKK - which actually has more claim to being a 'militia' in the sense the 2nd Amendment uses the term than an individual does - and people protecting themselves from stalkers.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Peter Flanders wrote:Scented Nectar, you are a treasure, I've been looking for ages for some needle-point samples. Now you've given me an excuse to visit an old lady who was friendly with my Uncle Eric, who sadly died last year.
Okaaaaay. That totally doesn't make sense, but don't bother explaining. Since replying to you, I have read more of your posts. You're one of those people who tries too hard to be funny and fails, and who intentionally humiliates themselves. A cringeworthy combo.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Shatterface wrote:What was the legal status of guns before the 2nd Ammendment?

That was a much different time.

There were no police forces to speak of.

Smaller town centers with many farm houses spread far and wide.

Predators such as wolves still existed in many areas.( not to mention livestock killing varmints.)

In the more outlying areas fears of unruly natives also existed.

A fire arm was a means of protection as well as a means to secure dinner( on a much more regular basis than we use them today)

The area I live in was settled in 1666. One of the first awarded townships in New Jersey.

It was still fairly rural and wild until after the civil war.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lsuoma wrote:OK, that didn't work so well. My password - 40 characters long, since there have been literally thousands of attempts to guess it - broke the database upgrade, and corrupted a whole heap o' shit.

Had to do a full restore and that took some time, obviously.

Probably try again tomorrow.

Sigh.
That must be the reason for the weird characters. :(

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Shatterface wrote:
They migrate.

Famous for it.
Like coconuts.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

dog puke wrote:
:rimshot:
[youtube]HSNSTerj2Kc[/youtube]

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Haha, the first two quotes are blokes.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

<bluto>
Sorry
</bluto>

CaptainFluffyBunny

Scented Nectar wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:OK, that didn't work so well. My password - 40 characters long, since there have been literally thousands of attempts to guess it - broke the database upgrade, and corrupted a whole heap o' shit.

Had to do a full restore and that took some time, obviously.

Probably try again tomorrow.

Sigh.
That must be the reason for the weird characters. :(
Yeah, all kinds of weird characters here lately.

Malky

Post by Malky »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Updated the wall of Rebecca's Patreon sponsors:

http://imgur.com/pZR70Oz.jpg

These are just the guys who have a selfie avatar, most patrons don't.

There are women patrons, but they're a tiny subset.

It looks like Rebecca is still drawing on the same older, dweebish types of guys she's been surrounded with since her JREF days. Old white males who pay her money to hear what toxic losers old white males are.

https://www.patreon.com/rebecca?ty=p
A fine example of DIVERSITY, there...
Well some have beards and some don't - what more diversity do you want?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

CuntajusRationality wrote:

Bundy Ranch nutters?
Not local government, but let's not forget about the Red Dawn scenario. If the U.S. is invaded and our forces crippled by a first strike, who else is going to step up and save us all if not the gun owners?

There's the Zombie Apocalyse I suppose. I'm hearing much more about zombies than climate change so the government is definitely preparing us for it.

I hope they do a British spin-off from The Walking Dead. A longbow is way cooler than a crossbow.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Sulman wrote:
Haha, the first two quotes are blokes.
Has anybody ever done a demographic breakdown of SJWs? I mean, if it turns out they are disproportionally ciswhiteheteroshitlords their whole movement is even more of a joke.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

OK, new topic, everybody stop talking and listen to me. Anybody good at repairing wood veneer?

I have a very nice electric guitar, an Epiphone Dot semi-hollow - the budget version of the Gibson ES-335, and a much nicer machine than anything that only cost me

CaptainFluffyBunny

Spike13 wrote:
Shatterface wrote:What was the legal status of guns before the 2nd Ammendment?

That was a much different time.

There were no police forces to speak of.

Smaller town centers with many farm houses spread far and wide.

Predators such as wolves still existed in many areas.( not to mention livestock killing varmints.)

In the more outlying areas fears of unruly natives also existed.

A fire arm was a means of protection as well as a means to secure dinner( on a much more regular basis than we use them today)

The area I live in was settled in 1666. One of the first awarded townships in New Jersey.

It was still fairly rural and wild until after the civil war.
Where I grew up in Oregon, we had coyotes, mountain lions and bears. A few rattlesnakes in the hinterland. If you were camping in away from standard campgrounds, it made good sense to carry a gun.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I think a British Walking Dead could work if only we could find the British equivalents of Andrew Lincoln, Lennie James and David Morrissey.

CaptainFluffyBunny

paddybrown wrote: http://s28.postimg.org/odnkduzm5/close_up.jpg

Is there anybody on the Pit with the knowhow who can advise me on how to repair this less visibly? Or am I stuck with this minor blemish?
Is it a gloss lacquer finish, polyurethane? I can't tell exactly on my phone. The ding in the wood will be difficult to repair exactly. Looks like it's over the internal wiring, maybe add an extra an extra button or nob for active electronics?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

dogen wrote:

They take to pens and crowding better than our local type. A few get loose, and have been spotted trying our local runs. Farmed salmon does not taste nearly as good as our fresh-caught fish, but it

Looking up pictures of sea lice is enough to put one off farmed salmon for life.
http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/

They have introduced Atlantic Ocean pathogens into the Pacific and the net pens not only act as breeding pools for diseases and parasites but each operation releases the untreated equivalent of a small city's sewage.
They have had disastrous effects on some salmon runs. Speaking of sea lice, the massive infestations of sea lice that the farms produced on just one year basically decimated the pink salmon runs on dozens of rivers. For example, one river that produced 1.5 million pink salmon had their migrating smolts infected by the sea lice. The return in one cycle was reduced from more than a million to about a thousand fish.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

[quote="paddybrown"]OK, new topic, everybody stop talking and listen to me. Anybody good at repairing wood veneer?

I have a very nice electric guitar, an Epiphone Dot semi-hollow - the budget version of the Gibson ES-335, and a much nicer machine than anything that only cost me

dogen

Post by dogen »

Shatterface wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:

Bundy Ranch nutters?

There's the Zombie Apocalyse I suppose. I'm hearing much more about zombies than climate change so the government is definitely preparing us for it.

I hope they do a British spin-off from The Walking Dead. A longbow is way cooler than a crossbow.
Even better, a Walking Dead set in Glasgow. Instead of longbows/crossbows, our heroes wield broken bottles of Buckfast Tonic Wine.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Is there anybody on the Pit with the knowhow who can advise me on how to repair this less visibly? Or am I stuck with this minor blemish?
Is it a gloss lacquer finish, polyurethane? I can't tell exactly on my phone. The ding in the wood will be difficult to repair exactly. Looks like it's over the internal wiring, maybe add an extra an extra button or nob for active electronics?
I think Epiphones are polyurethane, but I could be wrong on that. But nice idea - maybe I could add a coil tap.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
dogen wrote:

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/

They have introduced Atlantic Ocean pathogens into the Pacific and the net pens not only act as breeding pools for diseases and parasites but each operation releases the untreated equivalent of a small city's sewage.
They have had disastrous effects on some salmon runs. Speaking of sea lice, the massive infestations of sea lice that the farms produced on just one year basically decimated the pink salmon runs on dozens of rivers. For example, one river that produced 1.5 million pink salmon had their migrating smolts infected by the sea lice. The return in one cycle was reduced from more than a million to about a thousand fish.
You would think that would be reason enough to end the practice there entirely.

Can a conservation or sportsman group file a class action against the salmon farmers?

windy

Post by windy »

dog puke wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
feathers wrote: Strange, I thought the Original Pogsurf was quite a reasonable fellow. Jesper-style schizophrenia perhaps?
Yep, I thought so too, but unless it's a long-term false flag op, it's definitely him. See links upthread to pogsurf's twatter and blog.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but is this not someone that PZ has complained about stalking/harassment that goes back some 20 years or so?
No, that was Dennis Markuze.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

paddybrown wrote:

I think Epiphones are polyurethane, but I could be wrong on that. But nice idea - maybe I could add a coil tap.
Just add one of these:

http://dash.coolsmartphone.com/wp-conte ... ven-11.jpg

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

paddybrown wrote:

Almost certain that it would be polyurethane.

Hold off on doing anything and I'll see what I dig up.

For the future, do nothing. Save all the pieces you can find and put them in a safe place.

The glue repair may have made a more seamless repair more difficult.

I've repaired more than my share of electric guitars, knowledge is your best friend.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Oh, nice guitar.

A lot of the epiphones are actually more robust than their Gibson brothers.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Tribble wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
Tribble wrote:8800GT is obsolete. Do not buy.

Give me a budget and I'll tell you a good card for the price.
$100 or so. But let me find out which motherboard is in the computer I'll be using for this, yes? I've now decided to let the kids have the newest PC, instead of one of the Dell Optiplex 980s I had sitting around. But I have no idea what's in the newest machine.
If you had an 8800GT your computer has, at a minimum, a PCI-2E compatible BUS. I have read in various PC Magizines/websites (like Tom's Hardware) that you can put a PCI-3E card in a 2E slot and it will work because they're backwards compatible.

Now I cannot guarantee that. But that's what I've read (one of which is the link below (I think)).

Next is power. So I went to NVIDIA and they say the 8800GT uses 105 Watts. So whatever you use should use that or less. And, of course, you'll have to deal with the room in your case as modern cards are often 'double-slot' cards. That is, they take up one bus, but are two-slots wide so they may not be physically compatible.

So read this to see if anything you could buy will fit as well as it's got some damn useful information in it:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-co ... e-3588810/

So,with all that being said, the NVIDIA GTX 750 or GTX 750-ti is probably your best bet. The card requires just 65 watts draw with a total PSU systems capacity of 300 Watts, though 400 is better. This card, because it has such a low consumption, should draw all of its power from the PCI bus. So you probably won't have to deal with any connector issues. (BTW, the ti is the over-clocked version. Overclocking adds heat. If you have a small case, that could be a consideration.)

So, there you have it. About the best bet for price, performance and compatibility that I could come up with in your budget and isn't already obsolete and is somewhat future proof (they're DirectX 12 compatible from what I've read).

But the caveat is, I have never put a PCI-3.0 card in a 2.0 bus. And just because magazines and 'self-identified experts' say you can, doesn't mean they're right.

On a personal note, I'd take the chance. If it didn't work, I rebuild the whole damn computer with a PCI-3.0 bus MOBO, new CPU & more RAM. But I do stuff like that. Not everyone wants to dick around with that and I totally respect that, after all, I won't even change the oil on my car...
I'm running a Radeon R9-280 PCI-3.0 card in a PCI 2.0 slot with no performance problems and I game with 3 monitors at 1080p. From what I've read, performance issues may arise if another video card is added for Crossfire configuration.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Tribble wrote:
deLurch wrote:"Warm ocean leads to coastal birds dying of starvation"
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2015/08/2 ... /32328231/
Warm oceans are pretty. They've very diverse. But they're also practically deserts when it comes to biomass.
The cold waters are definitely the most productive in terms of biomass and for our own fisheries, and is yet another reason why there is concern about the progressive warming of the oceans. Warming plus over-fishing makes for collapsed fisheries and starvation of subsistence communities. But that's ok. Coal, oil and jellyfish are highly nutritious.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

NotSoInnocentHunh wrote:Slymepit members are innocent lamb jesus's with the Best of Intentions who would Never Stalk Anyone and only want the Bestest for People.

Apparently they don't like being on the receiving end of it and get bad feelings deep down inside their innocent lamb baby jesus hearts

The Fearless Tit protects the Innocent Lamb Man Babies with the Best of Intetions from the Fearsome Assaults from the outside world, that just doesn't understand how Special they are, and how only the Special who've earned it can stalk.

:D
This is our safe space! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

dogen wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:There's the Zombie Apocalyse I suppose. I'm hearing much more about zombies than climate change so the government is definitely preparing us for it.

Even better, a Walking Dead set in Glasgow. Instead of longbows/crossbows, our heroes wield broken bottles of Buckfast Tonic Wine.
Night of the Living Neds.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
deLurch wrote:The correct answer for most indoor dogs is they need their anal glands expressed. Best done by a vet, however my sister took care of that on her own.
Maybe I need to let the coffee do its work before writing, but this is what occurred to me after reading the above:

Woo Hoo! I just expressed the anal glands of a Skepchick!