Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Southern

Re: STFU about Zimmerman. Nobody else gives a crap.

Post by Southern »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Southern wrote:
I think it was Welch who said that most people in the atheist community thought that PZ was a useful ally while he was being his usual asshole against the creationists; only when he made the shift towards "life long feminism" and turned on them he started to be a problem. Well, same thing goes for PZ's relationship with Avicenna, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised that PZ's loyalty to his co-bloggers, even Svan and Ofie, only goes along their willingness to attack his enemies, specially the odious Slymepit. If somehow one of them ever slips on that regard, it's game over, out-of-my-blogging-network, fuck-you-with-a-flaming-porcupine-you-bitch for them.
I miss Welch. He didn't flounce did he?
I think not, he just stopped posting. Like his arch-nemesis, the evil Franc Hoggle. I do hope both of them come back for some shits'n'giggles. As long as that doesn't devolve into an Apple vs Linux shit flinging contest. Specially because I'm stuck with Windows to play my games, and that kind of discussion makes me have to think how much Windows suck...

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Tigzy wrote:Wow, is Disqus a cunt, or what? What the fuck is going on with that? Every time I refresh, the comments get sorted into a new order. I've had a comment vanish - true, Hemant could have deleted it, but there was a pretty decent comment by Ed Clint there too, which also disappeared. Dafuq, Disqus?

Also, someone on Avi's Apology page actually tried the 'but it's for Charidee' defence, lol:
Tony Poliz says

January 3, 2015 at 11:16 PM

@Raymond :
I can’t help but notice that your situation is not really up to you. You are a clear and present danger to the continued existence of this blog network. You could get the owner(s) sued a dozen times and counting. Even if you are immediately booted and all of your articles are deleted (which I’m guessing will happen shortly), you were already paid for their work.

Theft of service, plagiarism, whatever you want to call it, you already profited off the works of professionals. Forget charity, save up for a defense fund.

I love FreethoughtBlogs, and I’ve even read yours for years (lurking). What you did was inexecusable. You jeopardized my ability to read FreethoughtBlogs, and likewise endangered this place as an avenue for its bloggers.
I completely disagree. I will still read this blog. Hopefully right here on FtB!

Yeah, Avicenna is aware that he needs to improve his attribution skills, but I’m pretty sure if he was any danger to the viability of the entire FtB network, he’d already be gone.

Don’t listen to the jerks! You’d get a detention at my daughter’s school. We’ll take your charity work as your detention and call it even steven.
Disqus is buggy, and will hide comments. Sign up and turn on *email notification* -which is what I had to do as I often missed entire conversations due to disqus not updating.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Peezus may be willing to throw Avicenna under the bus, but there's one man who still believes in him. One man who is impervious to EVIDENCE. One man whose OPINION will not be trumped by CITATIONS. Yes, I mean the one and only Nerd of Redhead.

http://i.imgur.com/z6yPlLN.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tigzy wrote:Wow, is Disqus a cunt, or what? What the fuck is going on with that? Every time I refresh, the comments get sorted into a new order. I've had a comment vanish - true, Hemant could have deleted it, but there was a pretty decent comment by Ed Clint there too, which also disappeared. Dafuq, Disqus?
Don't refresh. Just go to the top of the comments and click on "Sort by Newest" even if that is already how you have it. Ed Clint's posts are still there.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:You don't have to read too closely between the lines to see that Peezus and chums are about to do a Greg Laden on Avicenna.
The thing to remember here is that Avicenna hasn't suddenly been outed as a dishonest hack. He's been shown to be blatantly lying for at least two years (and he has only ever been a minor figure in our sights, who has put himself in the picture only when he decided to target us (such as in the false rape 'I got email' accusation))
During that time he has made the wild and false claim about flying to the Philippines during the typhoon Hyan aid effort, and, critically for PZ Myers, apparently claimed he had been asked to carry out the autopsy on the girls found hanging in Uttar Pradesh.

This last claim is an utter disaster for Myers.
He must have realized soon after that Avicenna was bullshitting about his involvement. This was a worldwide covered news story and they had an FTB source at the very heart of it.
The fact that neither Peezus nor Avicenna mentioned it again leads us to the inevitable conclusion that Peezus realized Avi had just made up the story. Why he didn't realize it the first moment Avi said it to him I'll just put down to Peezus being a bit thick (failed foreign med student being flown across the subcontinent to assist in an autopsy being followed by the world media?) but it could not have escaped his attention that Avi simply dropped the subject afterwards - as if it had never even happened!

So, he knew that Avicenna was dishonest.
But he was prepared to put up with a liar - so long as the lies were directed in a useful direction (such as against the slymepit.)

The ethical lesson of this debacle doesn't stop at Avicennas feet, but goes right to the top of their festering hive.
Spot on.
Let's not forget that the initial autopsy, which Avicenna claims he performed, was also wrong. According to new sources the girls weren't gang raped and murdered.They're saying now that they were the victims of a suicide pact.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/2 ... 31594.html

Hat-Tip: Ape Lust ( I think)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Does Disqus also quotemine other blogs overnight when on a shaky internet connection?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

feathers wrote:Does Disqus also quotemine other blogs overnight when on a shaky internet connection?
Only if you are not white. It is extremely racist.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

AND ZING * AVI IS GONE FROM FTB . heheheheeee .. punkass motherfucker

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

feathers wrote:This Elfwick is also a fine piece of work, isn't he:
Godfrey Elfwick • an hour ago

Yes. It stands to reason that for multiple writing mistakes there are multiple extenuating circumstances. The instance I asked him about was obviously, as Avicenna said, a coincidence. The other instances can be laid at the door of his internet connection.
Case closed. I think we should stop talking about this now and let's please stop using the word "plagiarism" for what are honest mistakes and coincidences.
...after Hemant posting a dozen or so of "coincidences".
Not to mention that it doesn't matter if it is a "coincidence" or "honest mistake". In the case of an "honest mistake" its called "unintentional plagiarism", because its generally considered to be the responsibility of the author to make sure s/h/it isn't using the words of another author. Legally and academically no distinction is made between intentional and unintentional plagiarism.

Lurker, caught up.

Post by Lurker, caught up. »

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

katamari Damassi wrote:
I miss Welch. He didn't flounce did he?
He said he was taking a break and would be back eventually.

The good thing about him being gone is that it's a little easier to stay caught up without all his messages. He is by far the most prolific slymepit message poster (8340), Phil G is second at 6382.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lurker, caught up. wrote:Farewell Avicenna
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -avicenna/
Well, shit.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

TiBo wrote:AND ZING * AVI IS GONE FROM FTB . heheheheeee .. punkass motherfucker
Dammit, you made me check.

TiBo means he thinks Avi is about to get the boot. Agreed. He's about to get the Laden treatment.

Parody Accountant

Oh.

Southern

Post by Southern »

feathers wrote:Does Disqus also quotemine other blogs overnight when on a shaky non-continuous internet connection?
FTFY. As an IT professional, I'm deeply offended you're not using the proper terminology. Shame on you!

Parody Accountant

comhcinc wrote:
Well, shit.
Remember... oiled up.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Tapir wrote:Was the rumour about Avi doing the autopsy on those murdered girls in Uttar Pradesh ever confirmed/denied?

I've seen the quote from PZ ("our own Avicenna...etc") but don't recall anything from Avi himself.
Don't know if this has been answered, but Avi wrote later that the autopsies were part of his re-exams that he did on paper (admitted he didn't go to UP or view the bodies).

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Parody Accountant wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Well, shit.
Remember... oiled up.
I am hardly a man of honor but you will get your pictures within 24 hours.

Southern

Post by Southern »

[youtube]rY0WxgSXdEE[/youtube]

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Really?

Post by Really? »

Um...you guys...I'm running out of popcorn.

Southern

Post by Southern »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Tapir wrote:Was the rumour about Avi doing the autopsy on those murdered girls in Uttar Pradesh ever confirmed/denied?

I've seen the quote from PZ ("our own Avicenna...etc") but don't recall anything from Avi himself.
Don't know if this has been answered, but Avi wrote later that the autopsies were part of his re-exams that he did on paper (admitted he didn't go to UP or view the bodies).
Oh, so that was option 3, then: Peezus misunderstood it, and they quietly let it die without ever mentioning again.

That, of course, if someone wasn't lying again.

piero

Post by piero »

Here's Brayton on Avicenna. Save your clicks.
It is with great sadness that I announce that Avicenna Last of the A Million Gods blog has been removed from Freethought Blogs [...]

But facts are facts. The first I heard of this was about 15 hours ago. I pay no attention whatsoever to the slymepit as I prefer to avoid cesspools full of raging assholes.[...]

As I said, I am very sad about this. Despite all of this, I will continue to believe that Avicenna is a good and decent man who does more than his fair share to help other people. And I will continue to read what he has to say. But he cannot say it here any longer. Ethical consistency demands that much.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Eskarina wrote:Avicenna is history:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... ght-blogs/
But... but... CHARIDEEE!!!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

comhcinc wrote:
Well, shit.
I stand corrected.

Post by Guest »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Tribble wrote:
I played Dungeons and Dragons. Mostly. You sit around all day doing nothing but the hourly checks when you're on a missile base while waiting for the 30-seconds of action you're gonna get and the inevitable death that will follow.

Couldn't you guys have protected yourselves with a prismatic sphere?
I would imagine that information is classified, although I recall reading a FOIA request of a RAND report from 1979 recommending further testing of Portable Holes for missile crew protection.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Ninja'ed

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Ummm....Is this bloke seriously saying he knew about Avi's "systematic non- referencing" all along and even "bugged" him about it?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... ent-392385

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

Lies, lies, lies and more lies says Peezus, who has just got rid of Avicenna, just ONE DAY after writing an article vouching for his credibility.

Surprisingly he gives no evidence for these alleged lies.

Nor does Peezus link back to his article of just yesterday praising the honesty of the man that was ejected from the site little more than 24 hours after getting the Peezus thumbs up.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

OK, thanks.

Southern

Post by Southern »

And to think I was complaining about the new year. Fuck that, Peezus & friends actually having to own up, swallow their inflated egos and remove one of the few non-honkies from their line-ups because of evidence that someone from them Slymepit dug up?

[youtube]mG5bF8FcZuo[/youtube]

Where's that Special Ed Snowden guy when we need him? WE, THE PEOPLE, DEMAND THE FTB BACKCHANNEL!

Southern

Post by Southern »

katamari Damassi wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Well, shit.
I stand corrected.
Me, too.

https://bizsetup.files.wordpress.com/20 ... -1-400.jpg

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Tigzy wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:At avicenna's apology post. I'm betting this one gets deleted.

I can still see it there. Still, screencapped the fucker, just in case:
http://i.imgur.com/61ECwWj.png
Look at his name, Ray(mond) pi(e)st...... Ra..pist..... :cdc:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

"Avicenna, a man who systematically stole other people's articles and passed them off as his own and pulled the wool over our eyes for a few years has sadly been let go.
But I can assure he was telling the truth about everything else he ever said. Honest."

-PZ Myers

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

And while we're on the subject I think Abbie might have plagiarised "happy new year, guys".

Just Google it....it's everywhere.

:(

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

2015 has been good so far.
I've been busy with some undercover rogue work on another matter myself, and boy, seeing SJWs bouncing up and down in hysteria is a serious source of Schadenfreude. :drool:

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

Tony Parsehole wrote:"Avicenna, a man who systematically stole other people's articles and passed them off as his own and pulled the wool over our eyes for a few years has sadly been let go.
But I can assure he was telling the truth about everything else he ever said. Honest."

-PZ Myers
And Avicenna came up with the most amazing lies when people showed him links of his plagiarism.

But Meyers says everything he said had been the truth.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Southern

Post by Southern »

subbie1957 wrote:Lies, lies, lies and more lies says Peezus, who has just got rid of Avicenna, just ONE DAY after writing an article vouching for his credibility.

Surprisingly he gives no evidence for these alleged lies.

Nor does Peezus link back to his article of just yesterday praising the honesty of the man that was ejected from the site little more than 24 hours after getting the Peezus thumbs up.
That's the best part. That's what makes this so delicious. If it was just from the blue, they just had found that Avicenna was a lying plagiarist by themselves and had to fire him, it would have been admirable of them. But nooooo, Peezus had to take his thumb from his own ass and post something just to "spite" the Slymepit. Well, well, well. That's certainly a good reason to give someone your personal approval, you fuckwit.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sulman wrote:As a tenured professor, I would be astonished if Myers didn't take a very dim view of plagiarism. It is the thing academics and faculty spend many, many hours fighting.
Youre' killin' me, Smalls!

Remember Turning over a rock and exposing slime to the light ?
Pz_fought_the_law.png
(29.72 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Dumb, Little Paul, just dumb.

[youtube]D9UzH7Odt20[/youtube]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

piero wrote:Here's Brayton on Avicenna. Save your clicks.
It is with great sadness that I announce that Avicenna Last of the A Million Gods blog has been removed from Freethought Blogs [...]

But facts are facts. The first I heard of this was about 15 hours ago. I pay no attention whatsoever to the slymepit as I prefer to avoid cesspools full of raging assholes.[...]

As I said, I am very sad about this. Despite all of this, I will continue to believe that Avicenna is a good and decent man who does more than his fair share to help other people. And I will continue to read what he has to say. But he cannot say it here any longer. Ethical consistency demands that much.
CESSPOOL! CESSPOOL! CESSPOOL!!!!!

</Bart>

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Dilemma- I'm dying to taste the rage tears of hordelings but I refuse to go there.

Lurker, caught up.

Now is the time for PZ and co to announce that Avi never existed, it was fucking Thunderf00t with a rubber mask, trolling the whole time.

Com, is there any chance of getting some nipple tassles for your oily hotdog shot, please?

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

So he carried out the autopsies in much the same way I took part in the revolt on the battleship Potemkin?

Shatterface

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Ummm....Is this bloke seriously saying he knew about Avi's "systematic non- referencing" all along and even "bugged" him about it?
Oh yeah, now speaks up :lol:

And what is this shit?
Then I got an email from Hemant Mehta, someone I also hold in high esteem and consider a friend, and he told me that he’d been looking into the evidence and found a powerful case for plagiarism, whether a result of intention or lack of concern for attribution.
So truth wasn't truth until Hemant saw the turd everyone was pointing at and called it a turd. Fuck me.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sulman wrote:As a tenured professor, I would be astonished if Myers didn't take a very dim view of plagiarism. It is the thing academics and faculty spend many, many hours fighting.
Youre' killin' me, Smalls!

Remember Turning over a rock and exposing slime to the light ?
Pz_fought_the_law.png

Dumb, Little Paul, just dumb.

[youtube]D9UzH7Odt20[/youtube]
I prefer the classics.
[youtube]c0ndsXVaPwc[/youtube]

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Here is an interesting part you left out:
Then I got an email from Hemant Mehta, someone I also hold in high esteem and consider a friend, and he told me that he’d been looking into the evidence and found a powerful case for plagiarism, whether a result of intention or lack of concern for attribution. I emailed Avi and said, in essence, that you have to address this publicly and you have to tell the truth, whatever that is. I’m glad to see that he has now done so. Hemant also published the evidence he had found and he’s right, the case is pretty unassailable. All of this happened while I slept. When I woke up this morning, I looked at both Hemant and Avi’s posts about it and immediately decided to take the matter to the executive committee and recommend his expulsion from the network. The committee agreed.
Yes, it was Mehta who was "looking into the evidence and found a powerful case for plagiarism." And it was Mehta who "found" the evidence that he published.

:roll:

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

katamari Damassi wrote:
ERV wrote:
Tribble wrote:Yep. That's Mehta. We're scum he ignores because some people claim 'we're bad people.' But he'll happily steal SlymePit work and gloss it over as his if it means he can advance himself in someway.
YUP.

Ignoring the Pitter points/work passed off as his own ideas/investigations, the post itself would have been fine, but homeboy completely unnecessarily added that little snip. Completely unnecessary.

But Im assuming he gets paid per pageview, like most bloggers, and this drama = cash for him. Plus hes got a Patreon to keep funded! Piss off, Mehta.
The "ignore the denizens of the Pit" line was unwarranted, but I still like Mehta. I see it as a game he has to play.
BANNED!!!

:P

Im just sick of that fucking 'game'. That 'game' was cute three years ago. Its fucking old now. Im over it.

Parody Accountant

Tony Parsehole wrote:Ummm....Is this bloke seriously saying he knew about Avi's "systematic non- referencing" all along and even "bugged" him about it?
Yeah I saw that hahaha... He said he even pushed Avicenna to do better, and wished that he could only have pushed him a little harder... (this wouldn't have happened!)

Keep an eye on the notpology post too, some funny doublethink going on there.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lurker, caught up. wrote:Now is the time for PZ and co to announce that Avi never existed, it was fucking Thunderf00t with a rubber mask, trolling the whole time.

Com, is there any chance of getting some nipple tassles for your oily hotdog shot, please?
No, not because I don't want to but only because I do not have any.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

That doesn't make sense. That particular set of autopsies was particularly contentious - due to the question of whether the girls had been gang raped and murdered before being hung from a tree.
Are we seriously supposed to believe that this was considered a reasonable case from which they would take photos to be used in pathology exams within days of the deaths, and not only that, but pathology exams on the opposite side of the subcontinent?

I call bullshit.
I think BarnOwl and Skep Tickle might have more insight into these things than me and might comment but from my perspective pathology questions, particularly those involving photos, must come from cases where there is a known diagnosis (that way the students answer can be judged correct or wrong) in the case of the Uttar Pradesh girls there was no agreed expert finding at that time.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:
So he carried out the autopsies in much the same way I took part in the revolt on the battleship Potemkin?

Shatterface
Inorite? How could autopsies in UP be part of "re-taking his exams?" Makes no sense whatsoever. Maaaaybe if he were a pathology resident preparing for licensing exams in that discipline, but that wasn't the case. Bullshit rationalization, IMO.

Lurker, caught up.

"Well of course I didn't believe that...Hitler said it, it doesn't matter that he provided evidence in the form of quotes and links, it was Hitler, of course I didnt believe him, but as soon as Jesus told me, I looked into it and it was true. Thanks for bringing these things my attention, Jesus."

Aww., bless em. I must say Hemant Mehta has some balls taking the credit for the bloody sterling work put in by you chaps.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Now they can get on with phase 2, which is where the Slymepit gradually gets the Alleinschuld for Avi's plagiarism.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:

Here is an interesting part you left out:
Then I got an email from Hemant Mehta, someone I also hold in high esteem and consider a friend, and he told me that he’d been looking into the evidence and found a powerful case for plagiarism, whether a result of intention or lack of concern for attribution. I emailed Avi and said, in essence, that you have to address this publicly and you have to tell the truth, whatever that is. I’m glad to see that he has now done so. Hemant also published the evidence he had found and he’s right, the case is pretty unassailable. All of this happened while I slept. When I woke up this morning, I looked at both Hemant and Avi’s posts about it and immediately decided to take the matter to the executive committee and recommend his expulsion from the network. The committee agreed.
Yes, it was Mehta who was "looking into the evidence and found a powerful case for plagiarism." And it was Mehta who "found" the evidence that he published.

:roll:
It's already the new narrative they're holding tight like found money. First comment at Peez's:

http://imgur.com/bxjB9vA.png

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Jan Steen wrote:Peezus may be willing to throw Avicenna under the bus, but there's one man who still believes in him. One man who is impervious to EVIDENCE. One man whose OPINION will not be trumped by CITATIONS. Yes, I mean the one and only Nerd of Redhead.

http://i.imgur.com/z6yPlLN.jpg
Hey, I saw a trailer for the new movie about Alan Turing during the war. They build the first working Nerd of Redhead.

John D

Post by John D »

ERV wrote:

CESSPOOL! CESSPOOL! CESSPOOL!!!!!

</Bart>
Just like any religion... FTB is obsessed with loyalty. They will lie, cheat, and steal to cover up any sign of internal flaws... and they will lie to support each other within their cult.