Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
James Caruthers

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by James Caruthers »

CaughtUpLockedOut wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: This story absolutely happened 100% and I believe every word of it.

If you doubt he was wanking furiously, you probably like raping women.
So, he was scratching his nuts, basically.
Scratching his nuts, more like RAPE. :naughty:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

James Caruthers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Gen, Uppity Ingrate and Ilk wrote:Oh no, you’re not over here spreading lies and smears at all. Just like you’re also not over the rest of the net, doing that.

What you slymers are doing, johngreg, is sitting around, smoking and looking around saying “Boy, it’s sure a mighty fine blog you’ve got here, it’d be a pity if something happens to it.” Because as soon as Ashley bans you, you’ll escalate the attacks on her and spread lies about her all over the internet. Right now you’re kind of leaving her alone, but boy howdy, if she provokes you, she’ll seriously be On Your Radar.
It’s fucking terrorism, and it’s part of your pattern of harassment.
Oh God we're terrorists. Or mobsters. Gen can't decide.
I'd like to apply for the position of Pit Hitler if that's alright with you all.

You can be Pit Osama Bin Laden though.

I have a great plan for how we can fly a plane into University of Morris, Minnesota.
Uhhmmm, can we call you Pitler?

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

James Caruthers wrote:
CaughtUpLockedOut wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: This story absolutely happened 100% and I believe every word of it.

If you doubt he was wanking furiously, you probably like raping women.
So, he was scratching his nuts, basically.
Scratching his nuts, more like RAPE. :naughty:
Mr Shermer is a primate. He can learn.
Attachments
GoldBond.png
(109.47 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MacGruberKnows wrote:snip Godwin
I'm a reasonably tolerant middle aged, white, cis-het male with broad tastes, Mac. But fuck me, your avatar is disturbing.

How about using one of these zinnias?

http://www.hdwallpapersinn.com/wp-conte ... ower-7.jpg

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

:lol: We're all giggling over here too.

http://i.imgur.com/G5llA2S.png

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Really? wrote: At least one of them is seemingly arguing that sex should only between married people (when, sadly, there are states where gay people can't get married)
You know at least I can respect that part of the argument. I mean I disagree with it, and I think it's entirely unworkable and ultimately extremely toxic, but at least it's SOMETHING. It's an idea, something concrete we can talk about.

That's more than we can say than 99% of the BS that comes out of there.

And about us being non-charitable. From day one they've been unable to admit that there are people here who share some of the same general goals that they have (or at least claim to have) we just think they're horrifically wrong on the details.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

HunnyBunny wrote::lol: We're all giggling over here too.

Yeeeeeaaaahh

I saw that coming.

For what it's worth that entire Neo-Hipster culture that they're mostly either in or flirting with is IMO filled with sketchy as fuck behavior. JT's behavior...either of them...is kinda par for the course.

There's a reason why people like Jian Ghomeshi and Hugo Schwyzer flew under the radar for so long.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Stout wrote: Yea, I get it Smith might have been embarrassed but since Shermer had already told us she'd offered herself up to him in a hotel bathroom, how much blushing is she going to do if she tells us that Shermer did her while she was puking or passed out ?
Kink shaming is a terrible thing to behold.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Two FTB bloggers will be at events soon with people who have recently criticized Myers' behavior.

It seems very likely that everyone will be very professional at both events & things will go well. But just in case you want to mark them on your calendar:

April 21, Dublin http://www.meetup.com/Atheist-Ireland-S ... 221063234/
Atheist Ireland hosts Aron Ra speaking on "How Religion Harms Education"
Organizer Derek Walsh

April 25, Milwaukee WI http://www.mythicistmilwaukee.com/mythi ... onference/
Mythinformation Conference
  • Hemant Mehta speaking at 12:15pm on “Skeptics can be gullible, too!”
  • Booksigning 1:15-1:45pm
  • Dr. Richard Carrier speaking at 1:45pm on “Did Jesus Even Exist? A Historian Challenges the Consensus”

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

I would think the FTB back channel is burning right about now.

Ashley Miller just told Jason Thibeult off for mis-naming ConcentratedH2O AS C-Water

http://i.imgur.com/P0dZ20C.png

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote::lol: We're all giggling over here too.

I'm so amused that they said we're "circling the wagons" when they're the ones who block all opponents on Twitter and only confront criticism on very, very rare occasions.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

KiwiInOz wrote:
I'm a reasonably tolerant middle aged, white, cis-het male with broad tastes, Mac. But fuck me, your avatar is disturbing.

I agree. It was 'cute' for about 1 second. Will go back to my previous avatar.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Your avatar makes me want to vomit and/or post pictures of Jim Parsons from the Big Bang Theory. Please don't make me appearance shame a horrible person.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

I agree. It was 'cute' for about 1 second. Will go back to my previous avatar.
My apologies. I didn't mean to kink shame you.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Greta's nude photo is art compared to the ZJ travesty. I probably could have set up a Patreon account to make my fellow pitters get me
to take the avatar down but I am a nice guy. But you are warned.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Is it just me or does anyone else think the Pharyngula regulars hate Nerd the Readheaded Turd about as much as we love to laugh at him? Or Xam XI wrong?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote: Did someone say "Downfall"? Where is Goofer when you need s/h/it?
You rang?

Spring has reached even Morris, Minnesota.
In the face of rising temperatures, one man, one highly testosterone-damaged man, steps up in the quest for socially just climate-control.

[youtube]ErbV11srpa8[/youtube]

Per Fascist Tit's orders, Herr Myers will also shortly be opining on the recent denunciations heaped upon his blameless person.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Myers' Wikipedia page now has a quote from AI's statement, under Education & Activism (revision page and, for the heck of it, archived page):
In April 2015, Atheist Ireland issued an official announcement, apologizing that they had given Myers "public platforms in Ireland, both at the World Atheist Convention in 2011, and at our international conference in 2013 on Empowering Women Through Secularism" and that now it is "publicly dissociating itself from the hurtful and dehumanising, hateful and violent, unjust and defamatory rhetoric of the atheist blogger PZ Myers".(17)

James Caruthers

MacGruberKnows wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: I'd like to apply for the position of Pit Hitler if that's alright with you all.

You can be Pit Osama Bin Laden though.

I have a great plan for how we can fly a plane into University of Morris, Minnesota.
Uhhmmm, can we call you Pitler?
http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/ ... 490806.jpg

James Caruthers

The little jewish star is a nice touch.

James Caruthers

MacGruberKnows wrote:

Greta's nude photo is art compared to the ZJ travesty. I probably could have set up a Patreon account to make my fellow pitters get me
to take the avatar down but I am a nice guy. But you are warned.
There's so much I could say about Zinnia's obsession with shoving zer transcock in the collective faces of the internet, but I will refrain for the sake of civility. :lol:

James Caruthers

8th image result for Zinnia Jones on google is a barely-covered nude censored by Jones xirself and posted on FTB.

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se ... te_Men.png

Kek.

James Caruthers

If only PZ could cover himself in some dirt to become more PoC.

Oh wait, that's actually blackface and incredibly racist!

Maybe PZ could fire himself from Pharyngula and appoint some gender-nonbinary snowflakekin othertrans cisfluid to take his place? Perhaps the Atheism+ forum could furnish some nominees.

BTW it's not doxxing because that full name is on Twatter and Heather has always gone by "Heather" on Zinnia videos. So suck a bag of dicks, damion.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Did someone say "Downfall"? Where is Goofer when you need s/h/it?
You rang?

Spring has reached even Morris, Minnesota.
In the face of rising temperatures, one man, one highly testosterone-damaged man, steps up in the quest for socially just climate-control.

[youtube]ErbV11srpa8[/youtube]

Per Fascist Tit's orders, Herr Myers will also shortly be opining on the recent denunciations heaped upon his blameless person.
You're getting scarily good at editing those videos.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Talking of SJWs and their lies, here's Entertainment Weekly on the Sad Puppies campaign last Monday (via archive.today:

http://s3.postimg.org/g7b4g4o2b/sadpuppies1.jpg

They have at least had the decency to post a correction once everybody pointed out it was bullshit:

http://s1.postimg.org/vmkrwut8v/sadpuppies2.jpg

But their excuse is that they "misinterpret[ed] reports in other news publications". Everybody else was saying it, and we believed them! Fuck off. They even included a link to the slate on Brad Torgerson's blog in the original version of the report, where they could have checked if it consisted entirely of white males. So either they didn't check the accuracy of their own reporting, or they knew fine rightly what the facts were and said something different, because it suited their purposes. Liars for social justice.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Speaking of sad puppies, this is the image the ASPCA uses to illustrate pets used as pawns in domestic abuse situations:
https://www.aspca.org/sites/default/fil ... ok=snpLQ23_

The ASPCA page depicts women as the only victim-gender & men as the only perps-- as does the feminist bill, now in committee in Congress: the Pets And Women Safety (PAWS) Act of 2015:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I wish the lies surprised me but at this stage they aren't even CLOSE to it.

Also I feel like the point is even if sad puppies was all white male writers, if they were the BEST ones... then that would be fucking great.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Am I wrong in saying this but isn't domestic violence more common for women to be violent than men?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:I keep following the Ashley thread with interest. It's mind-blowing. It would take me hours to describe everything that is knocking me out. I will say that it's amazing that people like Ashley keep throwing around opinions about the Slymepit...but not one goddamn link to the pit. Have they ever linked to the pit to reinforce their points? We link to FTB ALL THE TIME.

For example, look at all of the completely unfounded claims here:
I get why the Slymepit would be pissed about that characterization, but as long as Nugent wrote the 9/17/14 blog post linking to Oppenheimer’s piece, PZ’s characterization of Nugent’s blog as defending and being a haven for rapists seems accurate to me, because of the defense of Shermer, not because of the Slymepitters. And if Nugent wants to defend the honor of the Slymepit, that’s his choice. Certainly, they can be defended from the rapist charge at least. One can easily argue that having the Slymepit there makes it a safe space for Shermer. (I can’t get Nugent’s page to load) But PZ should have been explicit, and his conflation or lack of specificity there was likely because he really fucking hates the Slymepit and was really annoyed with Nugent, which isn’t a good enough reason to fail to be clear. So let me agree with you here, that PZ failed in two ways there, he failed to be specific about what his problems with the Slymepit were and that they didn’t include that he though there were rapists at the Slymepit, and that the extent to which he felt Nugent was creating a haven was exclusively about Shermer, which PZ did later say, but he fucked up in not saying that immediately AND in conflating Slymepit and rape.
The thing is, I don’t think the Usual Suspects can ever see anything about the Slymepit because of how much shit they go through at the hands of either the Slymepit or people they think are the Slymepit. And I know that the pit thinks that this is unreasonable, but I wonder if it isn’t possible to empathize with them on this. The Slymepit is functionally a hate club for them, and meanwhile they get death threats and shit like that, and they don’t know where it’s coming from, they’ve got no reason to give you the benefit of the doubt because you’ve never given it to them. You offer only the least charitable interpretation of everything they say and do. Hell, someone was making fun of my vitamin D deficiency yesterday and then another person went through my Facebook page so they could mock how sympathetic or not others were to my illness? Why? What the hell is wrong with you guys? … no offense to you in specific.
Where are the citations? Death threats? WTF?
Some should tell Ashley that the slymepit thinks that those death threats should be reported to police. If that hasn't been done, why not?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

rayshul wrote:Am I wrong in saying this but isn't domestic violence more common for women to be violent than men?
There is a study, Differences in Frequency of Violence and Reported Injury Between Relationships With Reciprocal and Nonreciprocal Intimate Partner Violence, based on "11370 respondents on 18761 heterosexual relationships", that concludes:
Almost 24% of all relationships had some violence, and half (49.7%) of those were reciprocally violent. In nonreciprocally violent relationships, women were the perpetrators in more than 70% of the cases. Reciprocity was associated with more frequent violence among women (adjusted odds ratio [AOR]=2.3; 95% confidence interval [CI]=1.9, 2.8), but not men (AOR=1.26; 95% CI=0.9, 1.7). Regarding injury, men were more likely to inflict injury than were women (AOR=1.3; 95% CI=1.1, 1.5), and reciprocal intimate partner violence was associated with greater injury than was nonreciprocal intimate partner violence regardless of the gender of the perpetrator (AOR=4.4; 95% CI=3.6, 5.5).
Women are, according to this study at least, more likely to resort to violence, but men can hit harder and so do more damage when they do.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
SkepticalCat wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: And since we're dealing with white folk, Cainaji obviously gets in there:

http://i.imgur.com/GhPWXGt.png

Aw, ain't that sweet.
What? Caine is "Caine" again, instead of Injuni or whatever the heck it was? Why?
Dude, why can I not kill myself by trying to tell my heart not to beat?

The chick is a weird, morphing creature. She just can't control herself, leaping around from one identity to another, then back again. One day she's Scandinavian white, the next she's 1/729th Injun...Just accept the Cainaji craziness and hope that you never have to deal in real life with a woman who without a doubt in my mind can't order a Big Mac and fries without the whole thing ending up with her shrieking, throwing shit (possibly literally), and leaving the scene tied onto a stretcher.
:D

Really?

Post by Really? »

Amusement from Ashley thread:
ginseng says
April 13, 2015 at 12:53 am
@KiwiInOz says:
“My reading is that Michael Nugent is resistant to the spreading of accusations of criminal activity (tabloid fashion) that have not been subject to the legal process. ”
Why shouldn’t the women who are affected be able to talk about it and warn others? We also need to consider that rape is underreported, i.e. many won’t go to the trial stage. Arguing that we should not be allowed to talk about a crime unless they have been subject to a legal process is hypocritical, considering that Nugent has no problems spreading accusations of “child rape” by priests (e.g. http://www.michaelnugent.com/2014/04/18 ... -liveline/).
He also talks about how we need to have compassion for the victims but why then isn’t he applying the same standard when it comes to Shermer? I don’t buy that it is just about the tone or that there is no legal process because there are no legal processes for many rapes by priests either.
Guess what, grown adult women...ginseng seems to think that Shermer's alleged victim, a grown woman, has the same control over her surroundings as an 8-year-old boy getting fingered in a rectory.

Yay feminism.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: snip male tears
______

2) To top that off, the skepchick.org main page also features this post right now: Bad Chart Thursday. It's Life expectancy by musical genre & gender, with the x-axis reflecting time (cohorts over the decades) even though the labeling doesn't make that obvious.

http://i.imgur.com/jyrEeFf.png?1

The bold yellow & blue lines are average age at death of popular musicians in each genre (e.g. popular musicians over time). And, pet peeve alert, notice also those non-bolded yellow & blue lines, the ones that show the life expectancy for the population (meaning all babies born that year). Note how the yellow line is 5-10 years above the blue line, all across the graph. Recall that this doesn't just reflect deaths of people age 55-75, but the age at which half the cohort born that year can expect to live - meaning that half of people that gender (yellow or blue, female or male) are expected to die before the age on the y-axis.

_____

So, from skepchick.org,"a collection of...blogs focused on science and critical thinking": men have privilege no matter what & if they try to give counterexamples they're mansplaining or whining. Even though they die 5-10 years younger, on average.
That is an atrocious graph - the data are not continuous nor over time, so using a line is wrong. A bar chart would have been more appropriate. What do they teach at school these days?
I've seen more informative graphs on Godrey's twitter feed.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
These political cartoons where every fucking thing in the drawing is labeled, so we cud-chewers can understand the point being made by the inifnitely smarter cartoonist, are so American these days. I'm pretty sure British newspapers last ran them in about 1893, whereas it seems Americans still need to have their information chewed into pap by mummy and spat directly into the back of their mouth.
LMAO. That's spot on. I remember one where a skinny man in rags had "famine" written on him and some fat bloke in a top hat had a ribbon flowing about him saying "The rich" just in case the proles were too thick to suss out the subtle metaphors for themselves.
Some Brant:

[youtube]pCPRqmMsKYI[/youtube]

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Had a brief look at Miller's post on Shermer. It appears that, despite having received a cease and desist letter from Shermer's lawyers, PZ's associates are doubling down and continuing to defame him. If Shermer does decide to sue and wins, that'll up the damages I would have thought.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

[youtube]XARMbTEGVDk[/youtube]

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

rayshul wrote:Am I wrong in saying this but isn't domestic violence more common for women to be violent than men?
Roughly equal split in Western countries. Men were initially thought to murder their partners at a higher rate until it was realised that women sometimes use hit men, in which case the murder is counted as multiple offender. Boyfriends on the side get conned into committing murder and take the rap, distorting the stats further. To paraphrase Erin Pizzey, domestic violence is a generational issue, not a gender issue. It is a human problem, which you'd think would be uncontroversial given that "women are people too", but the gender feminist insistence that it is a male problem betrays their female exceptionalist views.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Roughly equal split in Western countries. Men were initially thought to murder their partners at a higher rate until it was realised that women sometimes use hit men, in which case the murder is counted as multiple offender. Boyfriends on the side get conned into committing murder and take the rap, distorting the stats further. To paraphrase Erin Pizzey, domestic violence is a generational issue, not a gender issue. It is a human problem, which you'd think would be uncontroversial given that "women are people too", but the gender feminist insistence that it is a male problem betrays their female exceptionalist views.
I think the popular media presentation of the issue has been skewed. There was a point in time, where the wife beating her husband with a frying pan or rolling pin was standard fodder for cartoons & movies. Domestic violence was probably very much a two way street, much as it is now. About the only thing I would expect to put a squelch on that is divorce. And I do think it is a good thing that police take it more seriously beyond just letting the couple work itself out. But it shouldn't be one sided. Nor should there be rules or policies where the man automatically goes to jail, irrespective of the facts on the ground.

I think it is great that resources are available for women to get away from domestic violence. But by not supplying those same resources to men, law enforcement loses out on having two opportunities to end the violence. Because that violence is often a two way street.

Struth

Post by Struth »

KiwiInOz wrote:

It's precisely because you are heterosexual! Let's be honest - Zinnia is (obviously) a man. (To be polite, I'd call him with 'she' pronouns if we were to ever cross paths in real life - I'm not transphobic.)

And yes please, MacGruber, please consider changing it with something less triggering. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Took my wife out to dinner.

Neither of us read a book.

Fuck you Peez.

http://i.imgur.com/OZ4aAcQ.jpg

Struth

PZ Myers' rape

Post by Struth »

paddybrown wrote:Had a brief look at Miller's post on Shermer. It appears that, despite having received a cease and desist letter from Shermer's lawyers, PZ's associates are doubling down and continuing to defame him. If Shermer does decide to sue and wins, that'll up the damages I would have thought.
The whole Shermer thing guarantees him unconditional support from many (if not all) feminists, for whom "always believe the victim" is a thing. It's probably worth it, to him. Look at how stunningly successful he (PZMyers) has been in distracting people from the rape accusation made against him! PZ is the ultimate misogynists' hero.

ChrisJBenton loves men with long hair

Keating

Post by Keating »

Did anyone see this study of sexual offending seeming to be hereditary?

Karmakin

Re: PZ Myers' rape

Post by Karmakin »

NO NO NO.

We attack PZ Myers and crew because of the blatant hypocrisy. It's that we reject the notion of the double standard...that how you're judged isn't based upon what you do, but based upon your position as part of the in-group vs. being part of the out-group. We attack because of the mother fucking projection...more than the entire AMC chain.

That's the issue here. That's ALWAYS the issue. Be it the A/S schism or GamerGate or SadPuppies or Comment 161* or whatever. It ALWAYS comes down to in-group/out-group bias leading to severe double standards. This is the BIG MOTHER FUCKING ISSUE that underlies practically every other piece of bullshit that you see.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

For what it's worth I do think Jenn is right...and Feminism is actually relatively meaningless in all of this. It just happens that a large swatch of modern feminists have decided to fully embrace in-group/out-group dynamics in order to try and achieve progress...the big problem with that of course is that seixsm/racism/etc. are just quite frankly different expressions of in-group/out-group dynamics so in the end they're going to end up doing more harm than good.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Keating wrote:Did anyone see this study of sexual offending seeming to be hereditary?
The problem is, what are they measuring?

"We defined sexual crime as a conviction for any sexual offence according to the Swedish Penal Code. This included the three main categories: (i) rape and sexual coercion against an adult; (ii) intra- and extra-familial child molestation or child rape (under age 15 years or, if the offending adult has a position of authority, under the age of 18), which (motivated by the connection to paedophilia) also included possession/distribution of child pornography; and (iii) non-contact sexual offences such as sexual harassment, indecent exposure or exhibitionistic acts. Attempted and aggravated offences were included whenever applicable. Non-sexual violence was defined as a conviction for any non-sexual violence offence according to the Swedish Penal Code, such as homicide, (aggravated) assault, (aggravated) robbery or (aggravated) illegal threats (see 14 for details). Plea-bargaining is forbidden in the Swedish judicial system and all crimes are registered regardless of possible offender insanity at the time of perpetration. Hence, the register includes individuals who suffered from psychosis at the time of the offence (usually referred to compulsory inpatient forensic psychiatric care). Further, conviction data include all persons who receive custodial or non-custodial sentences in court as well as cases where the prosecutor decided to caution or fine. Finally, Sweden does not differ considerably from other members of the European Union regarding rates of violent crime and their resolution."

If you read carefully through that paragraph - and consider that aspects of Swedish Rape Law (as just one example) have changed greatly over 40 years, I think there are too many confounds to take meaningful answers away.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Brive1987 wrote:Took my wife out to dinner.

Fuck you Peez.

Bloody hell, Brive splurged on dins at Hickos with the missus tonight. Fair chance of a root for that, I reckon.

:cdc:

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Talking of (former) heroes that Myers doesn't now need, a search on Pharyngula via FTB itself doesn't seem to be bring up his previous glowing endorsements of Pat Condell, only his criticisms, while remnants of one of his plugs for PC via R Dawkins does still remain on the old Scienceblogs version.

I don’t know about this. All this concentrated wit and venom in one place could be dangerous … and three straight hours of Pat Condell? Whew. Get copies for your local ministers, and either they’ll die of fuming apoplexy or they’ll give extremely animated and entertaining sermons the next Sunday.

That’s right, the Richard Dawkins foundation is selling a DVD containing the distilled, consecutive output of Pat Condell’s youtube rants. Get one for your mother. Play them at your atheist group’s next meeting. I might just rip out the audio and put it on a CD for my next long drive. Hey, we’ve got these loud chimes that play hymns every hour in my neighborhood — I could crank up the speakers, aim them out the window, and play Condell in reply. I can think of quite a few militant activities I could carry out with wall-to-wall Condell.
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 ... d-condell/

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Someone is trying to turn the baboons against Carrier? So far no bites.
https://archive.today/4KlKa
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O1sQ2hl6NeU/T ... umming.jpg
We are Plethora, Protectors of the Orb of Tranquility ~+~ Seated on the Throne of Fantasia wrote:carlie @8,
Thanks that makes sense. What prompted our question was really this particular part from the OP:
… as long as all parties are informed and capable of uncoerced consent at the time the proposed transaction is negotiated…
We had been in a long term committed relationship in the past where our significant others had been unfaithful and had lied about it and hid that for quite a while. We continued to be sexually intimate during this time. When the affair was finally revealed there was a feeling of complete betrayal and violation such that assault would be a fair word to describe the subjective experience if not the legal status. Our consent had been obtained under false pretenses and thus was also coerced in a very real way. Had we known at the time about the affair we never would have consented. Never. But our partners denied us the opportunity of truly informed consent by withholding that information and did so for an extended period of time.
That’s all in the past now. But reading this dredged up those old feelings again and we’re just trying to sort through everything with the help of a fresh perspective. The OP resonated and was hoping the author might be willing to help us sort out the moral and ethical implications of it all now that we’ve had the benefit of time and space.
abear wrote:Plethora; Sorry to hear about how you were betrayed like that.
Wiki has this definition of rape:
Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration perpetrated against a person without that person’s consent. The act may be carried out by physical force, coercion, abuse of authority or against a person who is incapable of valid consent, such as one who is unconscious, incapacitated, or below the legal age of consent.[1][2][3][4] The term rape is sometimes used interchangeably with the term sexual assault.[5]
As gaining sex by dishonest means such as the situation you describe is thwarting your ability to give informed consent perhaps an argument could be made that it is a form of rape.
I seem to recall a case in Israel where a woman tried to have a man charged with rape because he lied about what religion he belonged to, but I don’t recall the outcome.
Jason Thibeault wrote:I think what Plethora describes is a different category of sexual assault, and that “rape by fraud” as people are trying to get laws passed in New Jersey for instance are problematic. Lying about having had sexual intercourse with someone else could absolutely endanger you with STIs, for instance, and I think you have an excellent case for assault in the event that you DO get an STI as a result of your partner’s undisclosed indiscretion.
I don’t know if it rises to the level of rape, but it’s fuzzy, and I’m no lawyer, and it probably would be treated on a case by case basis anyway. Certainly lying to get sex from someone is unethical as all hell, even if not explicitly illegal. It’s a good justification for a hell of a lot of repercussions, legal and domestic (e.g. divorce), insofar as it amounts to a breach of contract.
But the law and morality often don’t track with one another, especially where some antisocial and damaging behaviour is impossible to prove or impossible to punish effectively.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Took my wife out to dinner.
Fuck you Peez.

Have you ever considered that Mrs. Myers might prefer pz read a book instead of talking to her?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Keating wrote:Did anyone see this study of sexual offending seeming to be hereditary?
I had seen reference to it before recently. I did not read it then. I just read the abstract.

Anything interesting in the study beyond their conclusion?

Also, does anyone know what "non-shared environmental factors" mean?

I mean what do we have? Genes. Family environment. Social environment (as in someone growing up in a poor rough neighbor hood vs. someone growing up in say a rich church-going neighborhood).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Couch wrote:Bloody hell, Brive splurged on dins at Hickos with the missus tonight. Fair chance of a root for that, I reckon.
So they have good dishes that consist of carrots, potatoes or onions?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

OK peeps, from time to time I see Vox Day attacked across the spectrum as vile etc. etc. including here I might add but, although I have read him from time to time (he is on my RSS feed) I can not say I have actually seen anything by him to justify the vitrol.

Anywho:
which leads me to this:
As longtime readers here know, it's not just the subject of religion concerning which PZ is hapless, but pretty much every subject he attempts to address outside of his own professional specialty. He's equally incompetent with regards to philosophy, politics, and economics, just to name three more. And even with regards to his scientific specialty, he hasn't mastered it sufficiently to be confident of winning a debate on evolution by natural selection with me. But for the purposes of both amusement and edification, consider PZ's inept response to Wilson, especially the specific questions he poses:

Rather than condescendingly telling us about evolutionary dynamics, I’d like Wilson to get specific.

1. How does depriving girls of an education benefit women?

2. How does raising girls with the expectation that their purpose in life is to bear children benefit women?

3. How does throwing acid in their faces when they demand independence from men benefit women?
2. Because raising girls with the expectation that their purpose in life is to bear children allows them to pursue marriage at the age of their peak fertility, increase the wage rates of their prospective marital partners, and live in stable, low-crime, homogenous societies that are not demographically dying. It also grants them privileged status, as they alone are able to ensure the continued survival of the society and the species alike. Women are not needed in any profession or occupation except that of child-bearer and child-rearer, and even in the case of the latter, they are only superior, they are not absolutely required.
Ya know ... the above is something I would say in real life when I am trolling people. All the more because I partially agree with him in the sense that I suspect that most women would, given their druthers stay home with their children.

Not all women of course. I do know a few who actively pursued a career after her kids started their teen years. But by all means give people the opportunity to pursue whatever it is they feel inclined to do and let nature take it's course like what happens in Norway.

And now the money shot ...
3. Because female independence is strongly correlated with a whole host of social ills. Using the utilitarian metric favored by most atheists, a few acid-burned faces is a small price to pay for lasting marriages, stable families, legitimate children, low levels of debt, strong currencies, affordable housing, homogenous populations, low levels of crime, and demographic stability. If PZ has turned against utilitarianism or the concept of the collective welfare trumping the interests of the individual, I should be fascinated to hear it.
More trolling IMO.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing what those inclined to comment think about Vox Day.

Billie from Ockham

deLurch wrote:Have you ever considered that Mrs. Myers might prefer pz read a book instead of talking to her?
There is also the issue of P Z Myers not being able to get his wife's consent for a conversation because he would need her consent in order to ask for her consent.

Of course, if Mrs Myers had previously talked to P Z in, say, a hotel bathroom, then he might have been safe to start a conversation over dinner, but I guess that didn't happen in this case. It is also unclear (as in: crystal unclear) how long consent lasts when you get it.

Billie from Ockham

You know, I'm starting to like Ashley Miller. When someone complained that using pitbulls as an example of viciousness, she pointed out that pitbulls are, indeed, vicious.

Jackie:
Would you please consider not using pit bulls as an example of something vicious? The dogs are stigmatized largely because of a racist stereotype. Pit bull’s association with black men is what fuels the media’s tendency to report on pit bulls as more dangerous than other dogs. There are so many myths about these dogs that reflect racist attitudes toward black men. The fact is, they are not dangerous dogs. It is black people, their music, their culture and even their pets that I believe the mainstream find threatening.

Also, for people like me who have a pittie, breed specific legislation and the stigma attached to having a dog that happens to be stocky with a broad head is frightening. People have had their pets taken by force and killed. People’s attitudes can be cruel. I’ve been told that I should not have been allowed to adopt my children and that I deserve them to be killed because I own a fat, happy little dog. It may seem nit-picky to most everyone else, but it matters to some of us. PZ isn’t a pittie. He’s the KRACKEN!
Ashley:
To join you off topic, pit bulls were bred specifically for dog fighting, and are associated with violence because of fighting in dog pits, which is an English sport, originally. Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are responsible for the majority of fatal dog attacks. That could be because of training, not because of breeding, but it’s a reputation that’s not entirely undeserved. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

More Vox Day hate:

From George R.R. Martin A Reply to Larry Correia
I think that once again you are paraphrasing and turning the insult dial up to eleven. I will agree that there was a backlash. Permit me to suggest that much of the negative press you got derived from the fact that one of the stories you placed on the ballot was that novelette by Vox Day, who was already infamous by that point because of his attack on Nora Jemison, his run for SFWA president, and his expulsion from that organization. Here we are back again to the "lumping together" we discussed earlier. Had Vox Day not been on your ticket, I suspect the backlash would not have been a tenth as vociferous as it was. Imagine, for example, that there had been a "SJW" slate the same year, and that they had gotten half a dozen stories on the ballot, but one of those had been by Requires Hate? (Actually, of course, Hate was nominated for the Campbell, but under a pseudonym). The lashback would have been just as nasty. In your case, it did not help that the Day story was terrible. Your public platform was all about restoring "quality" to the Hugos, and yet one of your standard bearers was the worst piece of writing on the ballot. (In my opinion, of course. All of this is opinion).
So I need a link to Vox Day being bad and not just trolling. By all means if you think that he is really on the level and not trolling let me know please.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

That's just fucked up.

There's no winning position here: if you oppose feminism you are a misogynist in the generally accepted meaning of the term; but if you openly support feminism you are also a misogynist.

Why would anyone fucking bother?

Shatterface

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Billie from Ockham wrote:You know, I'm starting to like Ashley Miller. When someone complained that using pitbulls as an example of viciousness, she pointed out that pitbulls are, indeed, vicious.

Jackie:
Would you please consider not using pit bulls as an example of something vicious? The dogs are stigmatized largely because of a racist stereotype. Pit bull’s association with black men is what fuels the media’s tendency to report on pit bulls as more dangerous than other dogs. There are so many myths about these dogs that reflect racist attitudes toward black men. The fact is, they are not dangerous dogs. It is black people, their music, their culture and even their pets that I believe the mainstream find threatening.

Also, for people like me who have a pittie, breed specific legislation and the stigma attached to having a dog that happens to be stocky with a broad head is frightening. People have had their pets taken by force and killed. People’s attitudes can be cruel. I’ve been told that I should not have been allowed to adopt my children and that I deserve them to be killed because I own a fat, happy little dog. It may seem nit-picky to most everyone else, but it matters to some of us. PZ isn’t a pittie. He’s the KRACKEN!
Ashley:
To join you off topic, pit bulls were bred specifically for dog fighting, and are associated with violence because of fighting in dog pits, which is an English sport, originally. Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are responsible for the majority of fatal dog attacks. That could be because of training, not because of breeding, but it’s a reputation that’s not entirely undeserved. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull
Since when where pitbulls associated with black men? In the UK they have been associated with the white working class (or underclass) at least as far back as Oliver Twist.

Shatterface

windy

Post by windy »

deLurch wrote:
I had seen reference to it before recently. I did not read it then. I just read the abstract.

Anything interesting in the study beyond their conclusion?

Also, does anyone know what "non-shared environmental factors" mean?
Any environmental influence that isn't shared by siblings, or affects them inequally. Birth order, accidents and illnesses, peer group influence, and so on.

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/3/582.full

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Shatterface as Guest wrote: That's just fucked up.

There's no winning position here: if you oppose feminism you are a misogynist in the generally accepted meaning of the term; but if you openly support feminism you are also a misogynist.

Why would anyone fucking bother?

Shatterface
Two names :

Hugo Schwyzer and Jian Ghomeshi

And time to face facts. As a man you do really want to bump uglies with any woman who identifies as a feminist these days?

Seeing as the term seems to increasingly mean the (and paraphrasing Abbie), "shit smeared, dancing around the fire, cray cray" type you are looking at a false rape accusation the minute she gets upset with you.

So yep, seeing as a lot of women see only PUAs like Schwyzer and Ghomeshi and Shermer and all the rest as derps who live in their Mom's basement like Anthony K or friendzoned orbitors like PeeZuss I do not see what the issue is as your chance of getting laid are slim to none in the first place.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:Since when where pitbulls associated with black men? In the UK they have been associated with the white working class (or underclass) at least as far back as Oliver Twist.

Shatterface
Facts do not matter. The important thing is to signal that you are a SJW. Do not read more into it than that.