Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Oglebart

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Oglebart »

Brive1987 wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Surely this is a jokey reference to that FanCon which was set up a year or two ago? The one where the "organizers" ended up beggin the kids who were attending for literally the cash from their pockets and in the end the only thing in the conference hall was a sad little ball pit.
Yes! I tried googling that a while back for the files and didn't even know where to start.
It was called Dashcon. Many lulz ensued

[youtube]9KM2vpz179g[/youtube]

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

[URL] http://valeriedorazio.com/post/11390098 ... ittle-girl /URL]

Does Melody have competition?

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

Dang tapatalk. I'm sure you can figure it out

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ah, thanx Oglebart

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Rat Bastard wrote:Dang tapatalk. I'm sure you can figure it out
The irony is, Batman is a comic about someone who saw his parents murdered when he was a child but who channeled the trauma into something positive by becoming a bad ass in a bat suit.

Why are these fuckers reading comics that don't have ponies in?

Shatteface

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:
Rat Bastard wrote:Dang tapatalk. I'm sure you can figure it out
The irony is, Batman is a comic about someone who saw his parents murdered when he was a child but who channeled the trauma into something positive by becoming a bad ass in a bat suit.

Why are these fuckers reading comics that don't have ponies in?

Shatteface
For the same reason they "play" video games....to ruin other people's enjoyment

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Brive1987 wrote:
A bit of light hearted trolling pales to what happens if you actually make a joke about him.

http://i.imgur.com/e6VojFi.jpg
On the other hand, when a vile creature like Melissa McEwan spews her vitriol at him he goes at once into submissive lapdog mode.
McEwan takes exception to something I wrote.
And then there were the atheist men, in most cases ostensibly sympathetic to my position, who piped up to let me know that I wasn’t talking about them, that they were one of the Good Ones. Even Myers linked to my list with the curious line: “Melissa McEwan has some Advice to Atheist Men. The long list sounds very good, but I do have one reservation: none of it is exclusive to atheists or men. I think it’s more Advice for Decent Human Beings.”

I’m not sure why my “long list” (of 18 suggestions) would engender reservations simply because it is not “exclusive to atheists or men,” unless one is keen to deflect accountability for being part of the group being urged to decency.
And one commenter interpreted that to a remarkably vicious degree.
Where the HELL does Meyers get off asking for advice and then saying “oh, well that doesn’t apply to me.” Uh yeah. It does.
So let me clarify. I was not saying I disagreed with the list in any way. I was not saying that McEwan was not talking about us ‘good atheists’. I was not trying to deflect accountability away from atheists. Most importantly, I was not saying it doesn’t apply to me — a bizarre charge, since I most certainly aspire to belong to the category of decent human beings, and I would hope that being decent human beings would be one of the goals of all atheists.

It was a reservation that wasn’t really a reservation — it was an appreciation of the universality of the suggestions, and a comment that the title of McEwan’s post was not adequate to describe the usefulness of the content.

I would definitely hope that more atheists would pay attention to her work.
There must be slugs with more backbone than Myers. Hyenas with more integrity. Cabbages with more self awareness.

http://web.archive.org/web/201409251646 ... fy-myself/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Looks like the blockbot, in its current incarnation at least, is finished:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Farewell dear Block bot, you were too beautiful for this world. :violin:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I was kinda proud of moving from level 2 to level 1.

I hope they issue us with wall plaques before pulling the plug.

But it's like any tech project. Policy, procedure, Multi level QA checks and resourcing. Then you get to play with the software.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Who is going to tell me who I can and can't associate with now?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Let that sink in.
PZ Myers wrote:I most certainly aspire to belong to the category of decent human beings
This is like a guy without limbs telling us that he aspires to become Olympic decathlon champion. Myers will never belong to the category of decent human beings. Decent human beings don't dox, lie, smear, argue in bad faith, or act like total hypocrites. Give it up, Myers.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I want to insert a picture of the Death Star blowing up, but I'm on my tablet and these things are useless, so... Imagine a gif of the Death Star blowing up.

Shatterface as Guest

free thoughtpolice wrote:Farewell dear Block bot, you were too beautiful for this world. :violin:
Anyone know if Nugent was block-bottied? (That's the word, isn't it?). He had run-ins with oolon on Twitter so I imagine so.

Anyway, I hope this isn't the end as far as the Data Protection Act case goes. This is pretty much an admission that block bit was used by cliques to attack people they disagreed with.

Shatterface

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

A conspiracy theorist (or your typical SJW, take your pick) would see a plan over kickher-gate.

The pit notes the theft.
The pit makes an ambit 10k donation to up the ante.
The pit then springs a pre-planned multi channel campaign to alert the artist.
As soon as the artist bites, a Twitter campaign spreads the message far and wide with prepared graphics

Melody backs down.
The 10k is removed.

Life continues with a new dollop of PTSD

:lol: :lol: That's your guaranteed narrative.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I had the rare distinction of being on two blockbot levels. I was put on it at the start for being a pitter, then added again ages later by Spokesgay, cos I annoyed him. 8-)

Dunno if I ever got to level 1, though. Oh well.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Think of all the poor SJWs who will now be exposed to people who disagree with them. People who may even make fun of them. The Horror.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm lolling, but I'm also kinda creeped out at the same time.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Jan Steen wrote:Think of all the poor SJWs who will now be exposed to people who disagree with them. People who may even make fun of them. The Horror.
Literally worse than the holocaust.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

rayshul wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Think of all the poor SJWs who will now be exposed to people who disagree with them. People who may even make fun of them. The Horror.
Literally worse than the holocaust.
There aren't enough spoons in the universe.

Shatterface as Guest

GGuest

Post by GGuest »

The blockbot was brought down, but the GG-Autoblocker has another few months of life in it.

KFC was listed among the "worst harassers of women" on the internet. That has to count for something, right?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Whoever put that 10k down on melody.

Their nok would have been pissed if they had been hit by a bus or had a heart attack yesterday!

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

It seems only days ago James Poulos was calling the Blockbot the savior of the internet.

Wait, it was only days ago.

Shatterface as Guest

Brive1987 wrote:Whoever put that 10k down on melody.

Their nok would have been pissed if they had been hit by a bus or had a heart attack yesterday!
It's a con-trick tactic.

Buskers usually toss a few coins in their own hat to encourage others to give. I suspect that's what happened here: money was temporarily donated so it looked like others had confidence and enthusiasm for the project, then it was withdrawn when people started to give for real and the money was no longer necessary.

Shatterface

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-28669-sc ... i-O2Jc.gif

Shatterface
Wrap what's left of Oolon's cranium in duct tape and stuff it with cat litter. He'll be ready for work by morning.

GGuest

Post by GGuest »

Ape+lust wrote:It seems only days ago James Poulos was calling the Blockbot the savior of the internet.

Wait, it was only days ago.
Yeah, there were quite a few articles about how awesome the blockbot was, and all within a few days of our darling little oolong getting legal notice.

Funny how that work, huh?

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

The Pit sure has been good to me this year. First, Avecinna-gate, then a light hearted interlude with Pizzle's horde mistakenly attacking their master's old posts, then Dick Carrier returning to blog himself another footbullet over his own Shermer-esque behavior. And now, out of left field, the Blockbot folds like a lawn chair from a stiff breeze from Britain.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

sp0tlight wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:John Wick is on my to-do list.
As it should, a really nice action flick. How's Nightcrawler? I might grab it today.
Delicious. Jake, you know...

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ape+lust wrote:
May he rest in peace.

I'm so sorry, my transient dyslexia just kicked in.

May he rest in pieces. Tiny, slimy little pieces.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ERV wrote: They have a ball pit.

:?
Isn't it now required by the Dashcon Law that all the SJW hangouts have one? You know, just in case that one bug attraction bails out and they have to offer one extra hour on it to compensate?

Southern

Post by Southern »

paddybrown wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Wasn't Melody's Kickstarter at over $10,000? It's now at $805. Was there a billing mistake somewhere?
You have intrigued me enough to do some maths.

Further up the page Really? linked to an archived version of Malady's Kickstarter frozen earlier today. It claims 21 backers, with $10,755 pledged. But further down the page it breaks the backers down by how much they've pledged.
  • 6 backers pledged $5 or more (but less than $10). That's a minimum of $30 and a maximum of $59.94.
  • 2 backers pledged $10 of more (but less than $25). Minimum $20, maximum $59.98.
  • 5 backers pledged $25 or more (but less than $50). Minimum $125, maximum $249.95.
  • 3 backers pledged £100 or more (but less than £500). Minmum £300, maximum $1499.97
Total that up, that's 16 backers, with a minimum of $475 and a maximum of $1869.84 pledged. That's 6 backers and somewhere between $8885.16 (average 1480.86 each) and £10280 (average $1713.33 each) unaccounted for. The site claims there have been no pledges of $500 or over.

As of now the page claims 26 backers, with $860 pledged. Broken down that's:
  • 7 backers pledged $5 or more (but less than $10). Minimum $35.
  • 3 backers pledged $10 of more (but less than $25). Minimum $30, maximum $74.97.
  • 6 backers pledged $25 or more (but less than $50). Minimum $150, maximum $299.94.
  • 3 backers pledged £100 or more (but less than £500). Minimum £300, maximum $1499.97
That totals 19 backers, minimum $615, maximum $1944.81. The public total obviously fits within those numbers. She's gained 3 accounted-for backers and 1 unaccounted-for backer, and lost $9920.

Long story short: how did she get credited with $10,755 when she couldn't possibly have raised that, and is only looking for $1,500?
I suspect software fault on this. More specifically, some idiot on Kickstarter updated something and it showed the wrong total ammount until they fixed it.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

I'm not sure why people are getting excited over the 'sunsetting' of The Blockbot. The website is still up, the blocks table remains, the only change is that they will not add more blocks, and the admins are no more. Unless someone actually follows through with a legal case it looks like it will continue as is.

They claim to be building a newer, better Bot. Maybe this is hot air, with Block Together and gg-autoblocker, not sure that this will be followed through with.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Eww. Wash your hands after handling those balls. Especially if Heina or Carrier, PhD were in there.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

HunnyBunny wrote:I'm not sure why people are getting excited over the 'sunsetting' of The Blockbot. The website is still up, the blocks table remains, the only change is that they will not add more blocks, and the admins are no more. Unless someone actually follows through with a legal case it looks like it will continue as is.

They claim to be building a newer, better Bot. Maybe this is hot air, with Block Together and gg-autoblocker, not sure that this will be followed through with.
Indeed. I don’t see that they are planning on folding their tents and stealing off into the night any time soon. Their announcement suggests only a regrouping, a redesign.

While I’m a little peeved that I’m there in the blocked list – only at level 3, I’m ashamed to say, and only for the rather silly reason of “verbose #mansplaining” – I still think there’s some justification for the tool, even if some have gone hog-wild in its application. Although maybe the concept is entirely unworkable, and Twitter by design will always be the wild and lawless West.

But probably not wise to be popping any champagne corks quite yet.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

HunnyBunny wrote:I'm not sure why people are getting excited over the 'sunsetting' of The Blockbot. The website is still up, the blocks table remains, the only change is that they will not add more blocks, and the admins are no more. Unless someone actually follows through with a legal case it looks like it will continue as is.

The recent situation has, however, caused the Bot crew no end of headaches, plus plenty of lulz for the rest of us. And we can be assurred that with Bot v2, the SJW will not be allowed to label the people they dislike with epithets such as 'rapeapologist'. This, of course, will bug them no end. The bot, after all, was really just a trolling tool. Now they have to be all nice and effectively tone-troll themselves. Oh well. I'm sure they'll find a little fun in it. Maybe. :lol:

Really?

Post by Really? »

The joy comes in that these crazy people feel so few breaths of reality on their squinty faces. They're bullies, plain and simple. They violate the "ordinary" rules of personal and online conduct. You and I are not going to call a person a misogynist stalker unless there's a real reason to do so. They apply the worst labels they can think of to anyone who crosses them.

Even better, their apparent allies turned on them.

It's a cause for celebration any time that bullies are exposed as the shitty hypocrites they are.

[youtube]BwDEmUYpkmE[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

James Caruthers wrote:
I don't see any updates you fuckers.
The person in the picture is wondering who the nut case is trying to stealthily take their picture without asking.

And since Melody is making money off of the photo, the next question is did she obtain a model release form?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Oolon is being sued or just threatened? He didn't mention the Matthew Hopkins thing.

oolon

20 March 2015 at 10:21 am

It is not just GGers who are whining about block lists. MRAs and TERFs have also threatened legal action.

I am personally honoured to be sued by Cathy Brennan, as the bot has defamed her and damaged her stellar reputation! Although she is insisting on sending a process server to my office to serve her “claim” as she cannot email me it for reasons… Almost like she is taking a leaf out the GamerGate book and trying to get me sacked. Actually she may have a prior claim over them there given she’s been doing that to trans ppl for years!

I am looking forward to learning how I’ve been instrumental in making her reputation online even worse than it already is. I think I’m being given way too much credit there. Also her friend @VABVOX/ Victoria Brownworth is saying much the same, but she hasn’t actually sent me anything. I’m guessing she has a direct line to Cathy and thinks there really is a case for defamation.
Someone let Cathy know about this. It's another nice piece of red meat for the lawyers.

The FTB crowd just does not take this shit seriously, and so far they've lucked out in that they've only harmed people who don't have the spare cash to throw around suing people who they aren't going to be able to get any damages from.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Radford. They fucked with the wrong guy there.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Sunder wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Oolon is being sued or just threatened? He didn't mention the Matthew Hopkins thing.

oolon

20 March 2015 at 10:21 am

It is not just GGers who are whining about block lists. MRAs and TERFs have also threatened legal action.

I am personally honoured to be sued by Cathy Brennan, as the bot has defamed her and damaged her stellar reputation! Although she is insisting on sending a process server to my office to serve her “claim” as she cannot email me it for reasons… Almost like she is taking a leaf out the GamerGate book and trying to get me sacked. Actually she may have a prior claim over them there given she’s been doing that to trans ppl for years!

I am looking forward to learning how I’ve been instrumental in making her reputation online even worse than it already is. I think I’m being given way too much credit there. Also her friend @VABVOX/ Victoria Brownworth is saying much the same, but she hasn’t actually sent me anything. I’m guessing she has a direct line to Cathy and thinks there really is a case for defamation.
Someone let Cathy know about this. It's another nice piece of red meat for the lawyers.

The FTB crowd just does not take this shit seriously, and so far they've lucked out in that they've only harmed people who don't have the spare cash to throw around suing people who they aren't going to be able to get any damages from.
Myers and Benson are very careful when it comes to defaming individuals with deep pockets and a knowledge of the law.
Benson deleted all comments related to the British libel lawyer who was accused of groping women at a skeptics event and Myers for some unexplained reason managed to avoid writing about the allegations involving Alan Dershovitz (who, at the time, was threatening to sue anyone who publicly made such allegations.)

And yes, they both complain that Nugent refuses to allow allegations to be published on his blog - which is located in a country with much more severe libel laws than Myers and Benson face in the US.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Didn't they learn from tumbrcon?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Farewell dear Block bot, you were too beautiful for this world. :violin:
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/fac ... 32/474.gif

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tigzy wrote:Looks like the blockbot, in its current incarnation at least, is finished:
See all those weasel words in there. Oolon is just making it appear that he is shutting down in the hopes the legal & internet storm will die down so he can continue with business as usual.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

James Caruthers wrote:
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/fac ... 32/474.gif

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

I see there is still not a word from Melody regarding her IP theft. She does have do-gooders like MA Melby above, circling the wagons so Melody can just carry on as normal being really awful with no consequences.

http://i.imgur.com/fECG1aP.png

He might not be making it, but someone is.

Southern

Post by Southern »

So, someone apparently didn't like being called a filthy thief on Kickstarter, even if that's true. I got this email from them:
Smellody.png
(30.59 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Should I continue and respond, calling them a bunch of hypocritical faggots? Please vote and decide, I'll continue as you people request.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oh, and just for clarifications: of course I'm not bothering to read their fucking Community Guidelines or whatever shit they post on that pit of e-begging and fraud. I say as it is, you fucking hipsters. Smellody is just one more making crowdbegging less and less credible each day. Also, as it is destined to happen with everything hipster-based, their public is just migrating to the next new hot thing (Patreon).

These people, jeez. How delusional can they be?

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Southern wrote:So, someone apparently didn't like being called a filthy thief on Kickstarter, even if that's true. I got this email from them:

Should I continue and respond, calling them a bunch of hypocritical faggots? Please vote and decide, I'll continue as you people request.
Seems a bit strong at this point. Hypocritical chunk funnels, perhaps, & queerloafs if you insist. A weak-kneed lot of unprincipled milksops if pressed to it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Southern wrote:So, someone apparently didn't like being called a filthy thief on Kickstarter, even if that's true. I got this email from them:
Smellody.png
I find that response ironic, seeing as how you were commenting upon a Kickstarter user who has stolen at least two images for her Kickstarter, opening the company to litigation.

I think what happened is that Smellody reported you and they took her side because they don't understand that she's a dirty IP thief who was in violation of Kickstarter TOS on a couple counts and may still be in violation of TOS.

I'd ask how many times a Kickstarter campaign runner is allowed to steal IP before they take the campaign down.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

deLurch wrote:
ERV wrote:[.tweet][/tweet]

They have a ball pit.

Didn't they learn from tumbrcon?
Hipster irony.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:... While I’m a little peeved that I’m there in the blocked list – only at level 3, I’m ashamed to say, and only for the rather silly reason of “verbose #mansplaining” - ...
*snort*

:text-lol:

James Caruthers

Steersman wrote: Indeed. I don’t see that they are planning on folding their tents and stealing off into the night any time soon. Their announcement suggests only a regrouping, a redesign.

While I’m a little peeved that I’m there in the blocked list – only at level 3, I’m ashamed to say, and only for the rather silly reason of “verbose #mansplaining” – I still think there’s some justification for the tool, even if some have gone hog-wild in its application. Although maybe the concept is entirely unworkable, and Twitter by design will always be the wild and lawless West.

I'm more surprised there isn't a Slymepit-produced anti-Steers blockbot at this point.

Maybe this is what it took for me to understand the good the blockbot was doing in the world. :cry:

Yes, it blocked hundreds of people who probably did nothing to deserve it.

But on the other hand, it blocked Steersman.

Checkmate, pitters!

James Caruthers

deLurch wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
I don't see any updates you fuckers.
The person in the picture is wondering who the nut case is trying to stealthily take their picture without asking.

And since Melody is making money off of the photo, the next question is did she obtain a model release form?
The bigger question is whether or not she bothered to take the photo herself, or if she swiped it from someone's facebook feed.

I think we all know the answer to your question.

James Caruthers

HunnyBunny wrote:I see there is still not a word from Melody regarding her IP theft. She does have do-gooders like MA Melby above, circling the wagons so Melody can just carry on as normal being really awful with no consequences.

http://i.imgur.com/fECG1aP.png

He might not be making it, but someone is.
#muhPTSD!
#muhtriggers
#don'teverholdmeresponsibleforsomethingwrongIdidbecauseI'mawiddlechild

Fuck it, you can't even parody these people.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

James Caruthers wrote:
Steersman wrote: Indeed. I don’t see that they are planning on folding their tents and stealing off into the night any time soon. Their announcement suggests only a regrouping, a redesign.

I'm more surprised there isn't a Slymepit-produced anti-Steers blockbot at this point.

Maybe this is what it took for me to understand the good the blockbot was doing in the world. :cry:

Yes, it blocked hundreds of people who probably did nothing to deserve it.

But on the other hand, it blocked Steersman.

Checkmate, pitters!
:lol: I can see my work is done. Or almost done .... ;-)