Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Really?

Re: STFU about Zimmerman. Nobody else gives a crap.

Post by Really? »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Anyone notice that PZ the cop hater did not have an entry on the shooting of the NYPD officers on Dec 20? I think even pz knew a thread on their deaths would turn into an orgy of hate with the filth he now has for posters. I think even he knows the limits with the bunch of crazies he's left with. It would have been Charlie Hebdo X 10 for the hatred.
POST FROM 2008 REALLY?:
Why would PZ Myers, the most awesomest biology and atheist blogger in, like, ever, post about the admittedly unfortunate shooting of a police officer on Pharyngula, the most stokin'est blog on Science Blogs? Dr. Myers, whose book Uncommon Descent is going to be a best-seller, is a decent person, but prefers to devote his time to explaining the natural world to his readers and warning against the dangers of religion and other oppressive dogmas.

So it doesn't make sense that he would presume to make substantive comment on a social issue when he knows his bread and butter is writing about biology and the encroachment of religion in government agencies.

Okay, I'm going to go check out a DVD on my DVD player and work on some Gilmore GIrls fanfiction for my LiveJournal.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Really? wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Settling down with chips and beer.

http://www.raceforasoldier.org/sites/de ... 0exp_0.png
I don't really have an NFL team, but I love to watch football. I really dislike Scam Newton, so I'm happy to root for your Seahawks.
Newton is actually really playing a good game right now. Seahawks are up 7-0 right now, but they're not in command the way they've been in post-season so far...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

bhoytony wrote:
I'm assuming this is an awful case of cultural appropriation and that you really mean crisps.

It's worse than rape!
No, I've got some Maris Pipers and mare REAL chips, plus curry sauce, and some Sam Smith Old Brewery Pale.

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Really? wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
I'm assuming this is an awful case of cultural appropriation and that you really mean crisps.

It's worse than rape!
I'm concerned that he's engaging in what criminal psychologists call "grooming." He gets himself some chips, turns on the game to establish rapport with himself, makes himself lose his inhibitions with some beer...

And then he rapes himself.
A survey of doctors suggests that 9 out of 10 cases of patients presenting with orange dicks turned out to be people who got so drunk they'd forgotten they'd been eating Cheetos while jerking off.

Shatterface

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Jan Steen wrote:No surprise that a provincial ignoramus who by his own admission doesn't know more than two words French, I mean PZ Myers, jumps on the bandwagon of those who smear Charlie Hebdo by calling it a racist publication.

http://i.imgur.com/ghRPWDp.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/201501102014 ... e-problem/
Slymepit challenge. Find two images that PZ has posted that makes him a racists.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Go Fascist Tit! 63 yards!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Looks like the Seahawks have actually decided to turn up. Defense still needs to tighten up, but the offense seems to playing now.

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:No surprise that a provincial ignoramus who by his own admission doesn't know more than two words French, I mean PZ Myers, jumps on the bandwagon of those who smear Charlie Hebdo by calling it a racist publication.

http://i.imgur.com/ghRPWDp.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/201501102014 ... e-problem/
Slymepit challenge. Find two images that PZ has posted that makes him a racists.
I got one.

Look how PZ treats the holy book of one of the world's great religions, a religion of oppressed brown people.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/wp-c ... crated.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:

It's worse than rape!
No, I've got some Maris Pipers and mare REAL chips, plus curry sauce, and some Sam Smith Old Brewery Pale.
WhereTF do you get Maris Pipers? All I can find in USAfghanistan are the same bland two choices: generic waxy and generic baking.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:
A survey of doctors suggests that 9 out of 10 cases of patients presenting with orange dicks turned out to be people who got so drunk they'd forgotten they'd been eating Cheetos while jerking off.

Shatterface
This triggers me into remembering a horrible incident years ago in a bar in Thailand eating a bag of sausage and birdshit chillies from a food stall. After splitting open the chillies to remove the seeds with my bare hands I went for a piss. Several customers seemed surprised when entering the toilets to see me with tears in my eyes washing my cock in the sink to try and remove the nuclear strength chilli oil off of it.

Happy days.

windy

A tale of two PZs

Post by windy »

Kirbmarc wrote:I have no problem with his old quotes, either. I simply find it insane that now that he has "converted" to SJW-ism he's repudiating his old quotes as if they were heresy that he has abandoned.
kolnnauzer is simply Old PZ. I don't think that the New SJW PZ still deserves the award that he received when he was a real humanist.
It's a bit more complicated than Old firebrand PZ vs. New SJW PZ. Here's a post on the Danish Mohammed caricatures with a bit of both PZs:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006 ... en-houses/
Feeding bigotry and flaunting racist stereotypes would be something that would drive me to protest any newspaper that endorsed it—of course, my protests would involve writing letters and canceling subscriptions, not rioting and burning down buildings. There is a genuine social concern here, I think. Muslims represent a poor and oppressed underclass, and those cartoons represent a ruling establishment intentionally taunting them and basically flipping them off. They have cause to be furious!
I’ve seen the cartoons, and they are crude and uninteresting—they are more about perpetuating stereotypes of Muslims as bomb-throwing terrorists than seriously illuminating a problem. They lack artistic or social or even comedic merit, and are only presented as an insult to inflame a poor minority. I don’t have any sympathy for a newspaper carrying out an exercise in pointless provocation.
It also doesn’t help that their riots are confirming the caricatures rather than opposing them. Once again, religiosity turns people into mindless frenzied zombies, and once again it interferes with progress.
In retrospect the post shows a lot of Latter Day PZ, like the typically nuanced analysis of other cultures (Muslims are a "poor and oppressed underclass"? :doh: ), but the Overton window hadn't yet shifted so far that people expressing contrary views were seen as racists and islamophobes.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

[youtube]jyoOfRog1EM[/youtube]

It's about time for another Hitchens masterrace post.

Hitchens, delivering possibly the greatest speech of his entire life, and absolutely destroying all of the shitlib appeasement attitudes which have become so common today. Just imagine how he would have reacted to Rotherham.

http://api.ning.com/files/SgY6-Aw-QoVZJ ... height=600

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:[

It's worse than rape!
WhereTF do you get Maris Pipers? All I can find in USAfghanistan are the same bland two choices: generic waxy and generic baking.
Canada. We're only two hours from BC.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Steersman wrote: I stand corrected, more or less; mea culpa. But you had said the following, which is probably what I was thinking of, in response to a previous comment of mine suggesting that "nager" was a corruption or colloquial modification of "nigger" (which Urban Dictionary supports but that is probably not saying much), to wit:
Steers, I'm afraid this is unsupported by any linguistic research and reflects a problem endemic to African studies, in that many try to spin just about everything to attribute as much as possible to ancient African civilizations. In this case, the evidence is scant, though I would like to see their sources.
However, somewhat en passant, I am curious as to what you think of my conjecture, my hypothesis, my analogy that "cunt is to sexism as nigger is to racism" - i.e., that the validity to the charge of sexism or racism depends, in each case, on the context: the epithets applied to the whole class then of course, but applied to individuals - probably not.
The quote was in response to the claim about some Ancient Egyptian word meaning 'god' as the source of the modern word. I had no comment or idea on whether 'nager' was related to the n-word. In the absence of any evidence for it or to the contrary, I would say it's plausible, assuming this is pronounced something like /nægəɹ/ (nagger) or /neɪgəɹ/ (nay-gur), similar to the way the b-word has spawned 'betch' and 'beeyotch'.

I agree that context is important, but I don't agree with your analogy. The c-word has had a long time to evolve a separate meaning, and the two meanings are so divergent now that it's arguable whether it really is one polysemous word or two homophones by now. Phonosemantically and pragmatically, there may be some colouring still so that the connotation of one meaning potentially blends into the other, but overall, I'd argue the c-word really has split into two homophones, such that even if someone were to call a woman a c-word, that alone would not be enough to demonstrate sexism.

The n-word is different. It has a shorter history, much of it racially charged. It hasn't had enough time to acquire secondary meanings that are bleached of all racial connotations (unlike the c-word, which as a term of address really is free of all connotations of its other meaning). Context is indeed important in determining whether its usage is acceptable and free from racism, but I consider the threshold more restricted than for the c-word.

For a non-black person to refer to someone unironically using the n-word--I'd consider that racist; the degree depends on the context.

some guy

Post by some guy »

jimmy wrote:I made some posts earlier today at PZ's place, and I get no error/info messages, but my posts don't appear. In the old days, I'm sure there used to be a way you could tell if your posts were being manually approved or not.

My posts yesterday were appearing immediately.

Anybody have any idea what this means?
If you got there by clicking a link here, then I think they can see that you came from the slymepit. So they probably noted your IP, and also whatever username you tried to post with. Too late for you!

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Here's what John Ayto, editor of The Oxford Dictionary of Slang, has to say about the most critical discussion evah!:
Nigger is far more taboo than fuck or even cunt.
Now just stop.

Really?

Post by Really? »

some guy wrote:
jimmy wrote:I made some posts earlier today at PZ's place, and I get no error/info messages, but my posts don't appear. In the old days, I'm sure there used to be a way you could tell if your posts were being manually approved or not.

If you got there by clicking a link here, then I think they can see that you came from the slymepit. So they probably noted your IP, and also whatever username you tried to post with. Too late for you!
The sad thing is that 2015 Skepticism means you need to establish and follow a 50-page hacker manual to figure out how to make posts on skeptic blogs, using VPNs and proxies and dummy e-mails to make sure your points are heard.

Yay skepticism!

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Really? wrote:
some guy wrote:

The sad thing is that 2015 Skepticism means you need to establish and follow a 50-page hacker manual to figure out how to make posts on skeptic blogs, using VPNs and proxies and dummy e-mails to make sure your points are heard.

Yay skepticism!
QFT. And even if you do that, your posts may be deleted. And if you don't do all that...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It means you have suffered what they call in Paris "a running shot"

I doubt PZ paused in thought or action while inflicting the blogging equivalent of a coup de gras.

It's ok. You're amongst friends now.

James Caruthers

http://i.imgur.com/hhiL5dP.jpg

BOOYAH, BITCHES

:dance:

James Caruthers

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

It's like you're trying to trigger my bulimia.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

James Caruthers wrote:http://i.imgur.com/hhiL5dP.jpg

BOOYAH, BITCHES

:dance:
I'd like to be the meat in their sandwich.

:bjarte:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Omg, there's Phil.

Centre right, 22 rows back wearing a blue shirt.

http://i.imgur.com/eU7t1MK.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ah, this is terrible. I hate the Seahawks though I do like Wilson a lot. I like the Panthers, but hate Cam Newton (yet another over-hyped gimmick QB).

Normally, I'd root against the Seahawks in a case like this. HOWEVER, the Seahawks (to me) have the best chance of keeping the Evil Fucking Cowboys out of the Superbowl. So I have to root for the Seahawks because there is no team in the NFL I hate more than the Cowboys.

First world problems, indeed.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Brive1987 wrote:Omg, there's Phil.

http://i.imgur.com/eU7t1MK.jpg
Doxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxing is a bannable offense, fucker!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:Anyone speak Plattdüütsch/Nedderdüütsch/Nedersaksisch?
I might be able to help.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

[misquote="ROBOKiTTY"]It's like you're trying to trigger my bulimia
[youtube]V0qhsUxifVQ[/youtube]
.[/misquote]

Thanks James, I hope this has been worth it for you.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Looking good. :auto-dirtbike:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Thanks Slympit for nothing. The Slympit activities the last few days has made me feel useless and intellectually stunted. Bastards. I'm so triggered I can't even....need to lie down....

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

comhcinc wrote:
Sulman wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:[.quote]So much for Patreon's new community guidelines, eh?[./quote]

"Wait! Doxing is wrong. According to the Code of Good Conduct-

"First, your being safe from other publishing information publicly available on the Internet was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must have a Patreon for the Code to apply and you don't. And thirdly,the code is more what you'd call "community guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the new and improved Patreon, Mister Pitchguest."
Watson will never be banned.

They are scared of her. They know that she will immediately shit on them claiming they've given into the misogynist agenda and have made a statement about women being unwelcome in technology.

The bully's end game is to get somewhere like this, where sanction of their behaviour resembles victimisation.

It's not that they are scared of her. They are on her side. They agree with her.
I had emailed Patreon on December 21 regarding their policy on "malicious doxing" and my experience with one of their artists, albeit not through Patreon. I received a stock reply.

I have now emailed Patreon with this comment:
Hi - I'm glad my input was "super helpful", as per your reply email below. Could you please let me know where things stand with Rebecca Watson and her malicious doxing?

I am currently supporting (number) artists on Patreon to the tune of (dollar amount) per month. I am aware that "Patreon takes 5%". Please know that if Rebecca Watson continues to be supported through Patreon, I will apologize to the artists that I support and will withdraw my financial support directed to them through Patreon. It's a small amount, but I'll be vocal about it.

Thank you -
(my name)
The "small amount" I refer to is similar to the per capita GNP of one of the world's poorest countries.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tribble wrote:Ah, this is terrible. I hate the Seahawks though I do like Wilson a lot. I like the Panthers, but hate Cam Newton (yet another over-hyped gimmick QB).

Normally, I'd root against the Seahawks in a case like this. HOWEVER, the Seahawks (to me) have the best chance of keeping the Evil Fucking Cowboys out of the Superbowl. So I have to root for the Seahawks because there is no team in the NFL I hate more than the Cowboys.

First world problems, indeed.
Why would you have a problem with the Cowboys? The referees wanted them to win, so they must have had a very good reason.

//Scam Newton just threw an 89-yard INT, so fuck him. He shouldn't have stolen that woman's laptop.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Yeah, Kam Chancellor!!!!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Omg, there's Phil.

Doxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxing is a bannable offense, fucker!
Tis Ok, you will notice I blurred his face.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Skep tickle wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Sulman wrote: It's not that they are scared of her. They are on her side. They agree with her.
I had emailed Patreon on December 21 regarding their policy on "malicious doxing" and my experience with one of their artists, albeit not through Patreon. I received a stock reply.

Hi - I'm glad my input was "super helpful", as per your reply email below. Could you please let me know where things stand with Rebecca Watson and her malicious doxing?

I am currently supporting (number) artists on Patreon to the tune of (dollar amount) per month. I am aware that "Patreon takes 5%". Please know that if Rebecca Watson continues to be supported through Patreon, I will apologize to the artists that I support and will withdraw my financial support directed to them through Patreon. It's a small amount, but I'll be vocal about it.

Thank you -
(my name)
The "small amount" I refer to is similar to the per capita GNP of one of the world's poorest countries.
I'm pretty sure the phrase "super helpful" indicates that you're dealing with a nineteen-year-old intern who has never seen an episode of "that old show" Friends.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Skep, I will threaten Pateeon with losing the 5c they get from my dollar a month support for Watson. If only I could just find the right pitch .... :think:

Shatterface as Guest

screwtape wrote:
Shatterface as Guest wrote:The Man Who Fell to Earth
Shatterface
Back to Heinlein!
Heinlein beat Tevis by a year but I prefer The Man Who Fell to Earth. The film's great too. As well as the fish out of water aspect to the character of Newton there's some sensory overload issues I relate to.
Autism has been a rag-bag diagnosis involving epilepsy and brain damage as well as an underlying, but clinically similar set of individuals. When you sift out the birth anoxias, the uncontrolled seizure disorders and so on, what is left is the folks we generally think of as autistic. Probably not the place to get into whether Asperger's and autism are the same (DSM V has finally concluded they are, just a matter of degree. I have a quick and dirty test for differentiating the two that I will explain to anyone interested.) What remains, after removing the poor kids who were brain damaged at birth, are pretty much always explicable by genetics. I used the word 'responsible' deliberately. I wouldn't inflict my genes on someone if I knew it would hurt them, but there is no doubt that my genes have resulted in his diagnosis. He is entirely OK with that, and wouldn't become a 'typpie' if he could. He likes being focussed and not distracted by sex, social media etc. I don't think of it as a matter of blame as there was no intent, no mens rea as M'sieu Steersman might say if that language has penetrated that far west. Merely a matter for remark, cogitation and remembrance.
We use ICD-10 in the UK so Aspergers is still a distinct diagnosis but I'm fine with ASD.

The history of the terms 'autism' and 'Aspergers' are complex: originally 'autistic' referred to a symptom of schizophrenia; Hans Asperger's name for the condition which now bears his name was 'autistic psychopathy' (which kind of makes it sound scary). It wasn't classified as a form of autism until Uta Frith (I think) translated Asperger's work in the early Eighties. Frith also thought Aspergers was a schizoid personality type but didn't think defining it as such was particularly useful.

To make it even more complicated those who have reviewed Asperger's original studies wouldn't now classify some of his patients as Aspies.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Philip K Dick generally treated autism, schizoid personality disorder and schizophrenia as parts of the same spectrum; that was correct according to the psychiatry of the time.

Until an cause is determined classification of disorders can be quite fluid. And you won't even get a referral to an assessment if the condition isn't severe enough to have a negative impact on your life - by which time you might have developed a co-morbid condition like depression.

TL; DR: There's not yet a Periodic Table for the mind.

Shatterface

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Interesting post on the Freethinker (UK) - "Life is not lived in black and white"

The author is talking about gender dysphoria, but the idea goes far beyond that.
Lawrence Newman is right about one thing. Feelings do not override biological facts. And those feelings include his own wish to easily pigeon-hole people.
The fact is that we do not live in a black and white world. We don’t even live in a greyscale world. Far from this being an argument based on some liberal quasi-religion, the empirical evidence informs us that we live in a beautiful, dazzling and utterly enchanting rainbow world.
I somehow suspect the person does not see things that way, although I could be wrong. Something makes me think not (just a suspicion, nothing confirmed). :think:

A bit conflicted on posting this one, as anyone who reads it might be able to guess why.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Has anyone told the single jewish women that the Periodic Table has a He and a Xe, but no She? #Patriarchy

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Brive1987 wrote:Skep, I will threaten Pateeon with losing the 5c they get from my dollar a month support for Watson. If only I could just find the right pitch .... :think:
That's a nice offer :) but you get advance info, & that seems like a good deal.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Yep. :dance:

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Skep tickle wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Sulman wrote:[.quote="Kirbmarc"][.quote]So much for Patreon's new community guidelines, eh?[./quote]

"Wait! Doxing is wrong. According to the Code of Good Conduct-

"First, your being safe from other publishing information publicly available on the Internet was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must have a Patreon for the Code to apply and you don't. And thirdly,the code is more what you'd call "community guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the new and improved Patreon, Mister Pitchguest."
Watson will never be banned.

They are scared of her. They know that she will immediately shit on them claiming they've given into the misogynist agenda and have made a statement about women being unwelcome in technology.

The bully's end game is to get somewhere like this, where sanction of their behaviour resembles victimisation.[./quote]

It's not that they are scared of her. They are on her side. They agree with her.

Thank you -
(my name)
At one point, someone claimed Sam Yam https://twitter.com/pandachi seemed to take the issue seriously, I don't think so myself, but who knows.

At the risk of telling you what you know and have done already, if you haven't told them that Watson doxxed you, you may wish to lay that out as a personal claim and then tell Sam you assign him personal responsibility for a) allowing a noxious individual to remain on Patreon, b) actively covering for her, c) loss of your revenue to Patreon, and d) future shit that Rebecca gets away with while supported by Patreon. And of course, future harm to you and to your patients by Rebecca's acts past and future.

Let them know why you want anonymity
Link to the joke
Link to the Rebecca Watson I'm a doxer page
Tell Sam that now that he has been personally informed of this, that you consider his covering this up a comment to Sam's own lack of ethics.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Badger3k wrote:
Lawrence Newman is right about one thing. Feelings do not override biological facts. And those feelings include his own wish to easily pigeon-hole people.
The fact is that we do not live in a black and white world. We don’t even live in a greyscale world. Far from this being an argument based on some liberal quasi-religion, the empirical evidence informs us that we live in a beautiful, dazzling and utterly enchanting rainbow world.
I somehow suspect the person does not see things that way, although I could be wrong. Something makes me think not (just a suspicion, nothing confirmed). :think:

A bit conflicted on posting this one, as anyone who reads it might be able to guess why.
The world is a beautiful, dazzling, and utterly enchanting rainbow, but that means some people happen to be a dog-puke yellow and would rather be green or beige and claim they can be just as dignified. Many reject this, citing ideas from colour theory. Underlying all the rhetoric, though, is often hidden a colour essentialism. In the grand scheme of things, colours are just a human abstraction of a subset of different wavelengths of light. Why be so strict when a few people try to push the limits?

Maybe some of these people would be better off learning how to be happy with being a dog-puke yellow. Others might be better off trying to live as green or beige, knowing that they will always be dog-puke yellow in some people's eyes. I don't know how to minimize their suffering, so I refrain from judging.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I have read plenty of comments regarding the nature of the cartoons of Charlie Hebdo. The last I've read was how Ophelia Benson, our new Honorary Slymepitter as per Gilliel, is still trying to pin down what to think of these cartoons.

Then it occured to me that I somehow don't think that way. I don't need to know what exactly is their “true nature”, neither of one single panel, nor of their entire oevre of cartoons. A drawing can be seen in many different ways, and they all can be true or true in different degrees of reaonableness. You can see them formally, or as broken down into shapes, textures or as blobs of colour; you can view various context (see ideas instead of the aesthetics), and to what they refer and on what assumptions they rest and so on. And then you can see how other people might see them, the depicted ethnicities and believers, other groups and so forth. Of course not “everything goes” as in cognitive realism. There are statements that are more reasonable than others, and orhers that are clearly false.

the collection of undefined and unjugded cartoons can enter the bigger picture that is about in which way it anyway matters, what their “true nature” is. Would it change something when you move the “racist” slider around? Would it change anything, and why? And then I get that it can't matter but that of course people are more willing to identify themselves with the victims with the assumption they were okay people and no racists.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

The world is a beautiful, dazzling, and utterly enchanting rainbow, but that means some people happen to be a dog-puke yellow and would rather be green or beige and claim they can be just as dignified. Many reject this, citing ideas from colour theory. Underlying all the rhetoric, though, is often hidden a colour essentialism. In the grand scheme of things, colours are just a human abstraction of a subset of different wavelengths of light. Why be so strict when a few people try to push the limits?

Maybe some of these people would be better off learning how to be happy with being a dog-puke yellow. Others might be better off trying to live as green or beige, knowing that they will always be dog-puke yellow in some people's eyes. I don't know how to minimize their suffering, so I refrain from judging.
I prefer basic black.
DSCF0005.JPG
(317.91 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
rm-nap.jpg
(51.46 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Aneris wrote:I have read plenty of comments regarding the nature of the cartoons of Charlie Hebdo. The last I've read was how Ophelia Benson, our new Honorary Slymepitter as per Gilliel, is still trying to pin down what to think of these cartoons.

Then it occured to me that I somehow don't think that way. I don't need to know what exactly is their “true nature”, neither of one single panel, nor of their entire oevre of cartoons. A drawing can be seen in many different ways, and they all can be true or true in different degrees of reaonableness. You can see them formally, or as broken down into shapes, textures or as blobs of colour; you can view various context (see ideas instead of the aesthetics), and to what they refer and on what assumptions they rest and so on. And then you can see how other people might see them, the depicted ethnicities and believers, other groups and so forth. Of course not “everything goes” as in cognitive realism. There are statements that are more reasonable than others, and orhers that are clearly false.

the collection of undefined and unjugded cartoons can enter the bigger picture that is about in which way it anyway matters, what their “true nature” is. Would it change something when you move the “racist” slider around? Would it change anything, and why? And then I get that it can't matter but that of course people are more willing to identify themselves with the victims with the assumption they were okay people and no racists.

Shatterface as Guest

Aneris wrote:I have read plenty of comments regarding the nature of the cartoons of Charlie Hebdo. The last I've read was how Ophelia Benson, our new Honorary Slymepitter as per Gilliel, is still trying to pin down what to think of these cartoons.

My attitude is that if someone glasses someone in the face for nudging their elbow and spilling their pint you don't argue about whether it was an entirely unforeseen accident or whether they were careless.

Some responses are so massively disproportionate it doesn't matter if the alleged slight was an accident or not.

Shatterface

Shatterface as Guest

Billie from Ockham wrote:Has anyone told the single jewish women that the Periodic Table has a He and a Xe, but no She? #Patriarchy
Shouldn't Xe be a transition element?

Shatterface

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Aneris wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:Anyone speak Plattdüütsch/Nedderdüütsch/Nedersaksisch?
I might be able to help.
PM sent.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

JacquesCuze wrote: [exparrot][/exparrot]
Hate to say this but y'all be getting the French wrong with that hashtag.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
So I am. It's my Frenchlexia kicking in.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Lot's of people who smell of elderberries and had hamster mothers apparently made the same mistake

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23JeSuisN ... 0&src=typd

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Wonder if terrorists ever use mangled hashtags to communicate. Mangled hashtags: the poor man's encryption.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

So where did AndrewV69 go anyway?

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:So where did AndrewV69 go anyway?
He was eaten by bears.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:So where did AndrewV69 go anyway?
I've been wondering about that as well. He's been silent on twitter since Christmas Eve.

strayling

Post by strayling »

And what's more, have you ever really *looked* at your hand?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:[youtube]b2OcKQ_mbiQ[/youtube]
That...is incredibly sexist. The girl is just a passive object for the male to act upon.

Now if I had been in charge of that project, I'd have ended it with the boys refusing to slap her...and then she slaps the shit out of them. "Yeah, that's how that works, kid. Get used to it."

But that's why I can't have nice things. ;)

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Jan Steen wrote:Is it a false impression of mine, or is the verb "to grok" really only used by Social Justice Warriors? Is it one of their shibboleths?
First time I ever heard it was on SNL. And that was back in the Dana Carvey era. In fact, it was the same episode where William Shatner told Trekkies to 'get a life'.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Is that even accurate French? The way I was taught, it would be #JeNeSuisPasCharlie