Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: STFU about Zimmerman. Nobody else gives a crap.

Post by Ape+lust »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ok, now that's disturbing. And masterly made. As many said before: Ape, you are wasting your talent here.
Thank you, Phil! This place has plenty of sorts like Tigzy and Parsehole, who are quick and creative, unlike the unambitious clots in GIMP forums. I'd love to talk shop and learn from others, but all they do is run filters on text and ooooh at the results. It's like lurking in 1996. No wonder GIMP has a terrible reputation :lol:
The Yeti wrote:Fucking outstanding!
Gracias! And thanks for bagging the humblebragging martyr, he was way past due for it.
katamari Damassi wrote:Oddly, that look works for her. Well done as usual Ape.
:D I agree, she looks alright. Maybe because her real hair looks like it's cut by someone's crazy fundamentalist mom.

Thanks, KD!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Ok, now that's disturbing. And masterly made. As many said before: Ape, you are wasting your talent here.
Shut up, Phil! We want him to continue wasting his talent here, OK?

Jiminy Cricket

Post by Jiminy Cricket »

Badger3k wrote:PZ decides to finally respond to Michael Nugent....sort of.

At last, a comprehensive reply to sea lions

It features the sea lion cartoon which is ancient in internet terms. Is he really that insulated that he never saw it, or has he finally decided he can't keep running forever, so now he will use this? Or is he just a coward who refuses to face the consequences of his actions?

Not mutually exclusive.
Definitely a coward, although he can keep running from Michael Nugent as long as his 'horde' of sycophants keep accepting his narrative. If any of them look at the actual fact that PZ accused Michael of literally providing a haven for rapists, in no uncertain terms, hopefully the cognitive dissonance will make their heads explode.

I can't fathom how anyone, even committed Pharyngulites, can think that PZ doesn't have an ethical obligation to either support his claim or apologize. If they need a conscience, they can just call me.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

InfraRedBucket wrote: http://i.imgur.com/YMCWEuQ.jpg
The portents had blazed darkly throughout the aeons: of great Cthulhu, who will cast himself upon the miasmic gulfs between the stars and descend upon this Earth to wreak His terrible intent. From the blasted and insane city of R'lyeh he will roost, squamous yet unbending, a blasphemous morass of calamaric hideousness, vast and bloated and enraged in His hunger for human souls. A continent of misery shall be forged by his dealings; to breath the very air of this world will become such as to drink the very essence of suffering itself.

Unfortunately, it turned out that the Great Old Ones made a bit of miscalculation of scale, and when Great Cthulhu made his screaming and eldritch descent, he was promptly consumed by a small and rather hungry sea-lion off the coast of Padstow.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I can't fathom how anyone, even committed Pharyngulites, can think that PZ doesn't have an ethical obligation to either support his claim or apologize. If they need a conscience, they can just call me.
It's not hard to understand their train of thought. It goes this way:

Premise A: All rape accusations made by women against men are always true and accurate and must always be believed, unless the accused are part of our selected group of "good people".

Premise B: Anyone who doesn't agree with Premise A provides a safe haven for rapists.

Premise C: The slymepit is a forum of people who don't agree with Premise A.

Conclusion 1 (lemma): The slymepit is a forum of people who provide a safe haven for rapists.

Premise D: "The standard you walk past is the standard you support", therefore if you don't ban people who provide a safe haven for rapists from your blog you provide a safe haven for rapists, too.

Premise E: Micheal Nugent doesn't ban slymepit members from the comments on his blog.

Conclusion 2 (based on Premise D, E and the lemma): Micheal Nugent provides a safe haven for rapists.

QED. No evidence necessary.

Premise A, B and D are of course arbitrary dogmas of radical feminism. They are very weak dogmas, because they're based on special pleading, guilt by association and other logical fallacies, but since they are dogmas they must be believed, evidence and logic be damned.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Peezus attempts to make a defence of Avi in his latest post. Pays much attention to one tweet which clearly wasn't meant to be taken seriously and - inevitably - makes noises that he suspects Avi's 'persecution' is down to racism. Guess Peez must be thanking the play-doh Watson idol he keeps in his basement that Avi is a PoC, cos otherwise he'd be hard pressed to rationalise away the idea that the brickbats Avi receives are solely down to him being an unhinged, disingenuous nincompoop.

http://www.freezepage.com/1420217397QKBHBKMLZG

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Kirbmarc wrote:

Premise A: All rape accusations made by women against men are always true and accurate and must always be believed, unless the accused are part of our selected group of "good people".

Premise B: Anyone who doesn't agree with Premise A provides a safe haven for rapists.

Conclusion 1 (lemma): The slymepit is a forum of people who provide a safe haven for rapists.

Premise D: "The standard you walk past is the standard you support", therefore if you don't ban people who provide a safe haven for rapists from your blog you provide a safe haven for rapists, too.

Premise E: Micheal Nugent doesn't ban slymepit members from the comments on his blog.

Conclusion 2 (based on Premise D, E and the lemma): Micheal Nugent provides a safe haven for rapists.

Premise A, B and D are of course arbitrary dogmas of radical feminism. They are very weak dogmas, because they're based on special pleading, guilt by association and other logical fallacies, but since they are dogmas they must be believed, evidence and logic be damned.
I think it's simpler than that. It goes:

1. I am good. Being good means being against bad things. Rape is a bad thing, so I am against rape.

2. Because I am good, anyone who disagrees with me must be bad. Rape is bad, so anyone who disagrees with me must be in favour of rape.

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

Tigzy wrote:Peezus attempts to make a defence of Avi in his latest post. Pays much attention to one tweet which clearly wasn't meant to be taken seriously and - inevitably - makes noises that he suspects Avi's 'persecution' is down to racism. Guess Peez must be thanking the play-doh Watson idol he keeps in his basement that Avi is a PoC, cos otherwise he'd be hard pressed to rationalise away the idea that the brickbats Avi receives are solely down to him being an unhinged, disingenuous nincompoop.

Oh the irony....

PeeZus complains about people cutting and pasting in his defense of Avicenna.

This is too much. I need some tissues now....

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tigzy wrote:Peezus attempts to make a defence of Avi in his latest post. Pays much attention to one tweet which clearly wasn't meant to be taken seriously and - inevitably - makes noises that he suspects Avi's 'persecution' is down to racism. Guess Peez must be thanking the play-doh Watson idol he keeps in his basement that Avi is a PoC, cos otherwise he'd be hard pressed to rationalise away the idea that the brickbats Avi receives are solely down to him being an unhinged, disingenuous nincompoop.

Self-plagiarist Myers probably did not yet know about the clear case of plagiarism against Avicenna von Münchhausen. I wonder how the old fraud is going to explain that one away. Plagiarism: it's okay when we do it.

Jiminy Cricket

Post by Jiminy Cricket »

paddybrown wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

I think it's simpler than that. It goes:

1. I am good. Being good means being against bad things. Rape is a bad thing, so I am against rape.

2. Because I am good, anyone who disagrees with me must be bad. Rape is bad, so anyone who disagrees with me must be in favour of rape.
Scarily enough, that does seem to be his logic. From Michael Nugent's post about PZ's defamatory smears:
Derek Walsh wrote that: “It’s increasingly odd to see @DaylightAtheism continuing to declare what he believes @micknugent really thinks.”

PZ replied to Derek: “It’s not about what he thinks, but what he’s doing: defending & providing a haven for harassers, misogynists, and rapists.”

Derek replied to PZ: “that’s an incredibly serious accusation and one completely unsupported by evidence. But you know both those things already.”

PZ replied to Derek: “Nope. The evidence is right there: his blog commentariat is populated almost entirely by slymepitters.”

Derek replied to PZ: “Let me get this straight: Your evidence that he defends rapists is that people who don’t like you comment on his blog? Seriously?!”

Peter Ferguson also replied to PZ: “How does slymepitters commenting on his blog = defending a rapist?” PZ declined to answer this question from either Derek or Peter.
This should be copied and pasted anywhere anyone defends PZ. He can control what appears on his blog, but any time he ventures outside this should be in his face until he addresses it.

I read here that PZ will be debating a creationist sometime in the next couple of months. It's pretty hypocritical of him to argue against their beliefs when he refuses to apply skeptical thinking towards his own.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, 8chan are as douchey as 4chan used to be? No surprise there. Anyway, no doxxing here, friendly reminder.
She's OK with doxxing, as she herself said. Let the chan have its fun. Words should have some sort of consequence for these people, for a change.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

FreeThoughtBlogs is a haven for pathological liars (PZ Myers, Avicenna, etc.).

didymos

Post by didymos »

I like how he posted this tweet:
and then wrote:
They know nothing about Avi; they believe it’s possible he’s an "unemployed white guy in Edinburgh".
No, they don't really believe that, you jackass. It's called hyperbole.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Orac

2 January 2015 at 10:56 am
They also claim that because he’s a prolific writer, he can’t possibly be a real doctor; strangely, they don’t make that same argument about Orac.
Actually, to be fair, antivaxers and quacks do use that same argument about me. However, it should tell “The Other Atheist” something, though, that he is using an argument favored by pseudoscientific cranks and quacks. Sadly, it probably won’t.
Sadly, it probably won't tell Peez that the reason why people have issues with Avi is down to stuff other than racism, either.
The Mellow Monkey

2 January 2015 at 11:01 am

Gee. I can’t imagine why Avicenna would so carefully guard his real name and face. It’s not like there are frothing assholes out there trying to tear him down at every turn.

(Please stay safe, Avi.)
Well, we all know who set the precedent for trying to fuck with the lives of doctors who do things online we find disagreeable, right?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Cross posted from Nugent's site:

The Guardian, as cited by Michael in the OP, wrote:
Last year, the Fine Gael-Labour coalition had promised a referendum on the blasphemy law to coincide with two other votes on gay marriage equality and lowering the age for when a citizen can become president of the state. Earlier this month, however, the government confirmed that referenda will be held in the spring on gay marriage and the age of a presidential candidate, but excluded a national vote on blasphemy.
FreeThoughtBlogger Avicenna wrote:
Last year, the Fine Gael-Labour coalition had promised a referendum on the blasphemy law to coincide with two other votes on gay marriage equality and lowering the age for when a citizen can become president of the state. The other issues are still being voted on, the blasphemy vote however has been pulled.
Wait. Maybe the similarity is just an extraordinary coincidence? Let’s look again.

The Guardian wrote:
The law defines blasphemy as “publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted”. The former Fianna Fáil justice minister Dermot Ahern has defended the law, claiming it is necessary because the 1936 Irish constitution extends the protection of belief only to Christians.

Avicenna wrote:
The law defines blasphemy as “publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted”.

The former Fianna Fáil justice minister Dermot Ahern has defended the law, claiming it is necessary because the 1936 Irish constitution extends the protection of belief only to Christians.

No. I’m afraid this really is copy-pasting without attribution.

Smearing and abusing critics, calling hostages “privileged rich coffee-sippers”, plagiarism: it’s all in a day’s work on FreeThoughtBlogs.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150102093 ... irish-law/

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Since I'm spending six months doing (essentially) nothing other than chemotherapy and waiting around for the gods to press the Pause button once again so my life might retart, I have to confess that I have been extending my hobby activities to lengths that would, in ordinary circumstances, seem extreme. I have been interested in photography since my teens, and grew up in the era of film and chemicals. Yes, I do digital now, but it still feels like cheating. Having 40+ years of experience with developing film it shouldn't surprise you that I have a freezer dedicated to preserving film stocks, some of which are no longer made and also a fridge full of interesting chemicals (some of which might have, admittedly, led to my bone marrow having the difficulties it currently enjoys). The film cameras I lusted after but had no hope of affording when I was younger are now cheap. Just like the sad story of many other addicts, I am gravitating to the hard stuff. From 35mm to medium format didn't seem to be such a bad thing; I mean what's the harm? Right? Oh, man! look at the resolution! Groovy! But then I did it. I went to large format. A negative 27 times larger by area than a 35mm negative (or "full frame" to you digital types), and that's only 4"x5". I can feel the desire to go all the way—I want to get to a negative 10"x8" before I drop, and I think I will. That story has yet to be told.

Why am I confessing this? Well, on a large format photography forum I found an image for your delectation, which assuredly becomes relevant when considering the recent debate over transsexualism. Here, ladies, gentlemen and others, is the final proof that you can always tell by the size of the hands:
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 12.14.43 PM.png
(573.96 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Now tell me, you wouldn't have guessed if it weren't for the big hands? Right? I may not be a plastic surgeon, but there's no way I would refer anyone to a surgeon who makes nipple/areola complexes that look like that!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I sense an imminent, full-blown a PZ freak-out in the wind. Can't wait. May need to do my bit as a picador.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Did anybody catch the recent complete madness with the Pro GamerGate YouTube personality "TotalBiscuit"?
http://gamesnosh.com/goons-blow-up-at-totalbiscuit/
Basically he *deep breath* retweeted a tweet written by a charity which aims to help disabled gamers. This tweet was ASKING to be retweeted to signal boost and raise awareness of their charity stream. When TotalBiscuit did so, quite innocently considering he has been partnered with the same fucking charity he was accused of attempting to terrorise them.
ALL FOR RETWEETING THEM WHEN THEY ASKED TO BE RETWEETED.

Some nice responses for this blatant terrorist activity: read more here:
https://storify.com/totalhalibuttxt/the ... tive-minds

And last but not least the charity's side of the story.
https://storify.com/Tolvo/how-totalbisc ... ity-stream
Rather pathetic IMO.
A choice quote:
As soon as I saw TB retweeted it I became frightened for my friends, so many of us seemed worried. Right away we knew that Totalbiscuit might have just seriously damaged or even ruined the charity stream with his carelessness.
Twats.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Jan Steen wrote:
Last year, the Fine Gael-Labour coalition had promised a referendum on the blasphemy law to coincide with two other votes on gay marriage equality and lowering the age for when a citizen can become president of the state. The other issues are still being voted on, the blasphemy vote however has been pulled.
And he managed to mess up punctuation in the only sentence he decided to rewrite.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

PZ Myers.
For the record, I’ve personally met Avicenna, and I know his real name, making me a million times more informed than these wankers. And yes, he is what he says he is.
You met him in real life and he told you his real name. Oh, that's alright then. Case closed, eh Columbo?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

As soon as I saw TB retweeted it I became frightened for my friends, so many of us seemed worried. Right away we knew that Totalbiscuit might have just seriously damaged or even ruined the charity stream with his carelessness. Keep in mind, we are a small group of friends doing a charity stream. We weren't looking to get a lot of people, especially people like what TB would send our way
It makes sense. Just like if you disagree on twitter she gets twitter PTSD, if you support a charity you frighten the people who created it.

And after totalbiscuit replies to their outrage this way:
This is what the write:
This is his reaction to telling him we are afraid of what his attention could bring to us. This is his reaction, just talk about numbers. He doesn't care about our feelings or how much harassment and hatred he can direct to us, he doesn't care that he might ruin the stream. Totalbiscuit just wants the numbers and to talk about publicity
These people think that their offended feelings and the "potential harassment" are more important than the money that their charity could raise with more publicity. I don't think they're the right persons to be in charge of a charity. I don't think they should be in charge of anything even remotely connected to money.

Totalbiuscuit goes on with:
To which they answer:
This is something Totalbiscuit did, this is something Totalbiscuit supported and enabled, harassment and the damaging of a small charity stream run by friends for gamers with disabilities.
What a bunch of morons.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

HAAAAAAAAA
Avi says his plagarism is a coincidence!
NO SHIT! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Please Avi, Keep on giving!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

PZ Myers wrote:For the record, I’ve personally met Avicenna, and I know his real name, making me a million times more informed than these wankers. And yes, he is what he says he is.
Is he also the doctor who took part in the autopsy of the Indian girls in the infamous case you wrote about on your blog?

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

"Coincidence"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAAAhHaahahajsdgsgdaadffdgfafghj

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tapir wrote:"Coincidence"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAAAhHaahahajsdgsgdaadffdgfafghj
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... t_feel.png

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

Tony Parsehole wrote:HAAAAAAAAA
NO SHIT! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
More than once coincidence, as Avicennna purely by coincidence copied and pasted from TWO Guardian articles.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Avi really is the most hopeless liar on earth. I bet I could get him to say he owns a magic carpet.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

This, plus Avi already bull-shitting on all cylinders.

Going to be a great year :D

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I have no idea what you kids are talking about. carry on.

Jiminy Cricket

Post by Jiminy Cricket »

subbie1957 wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:HAAAAAAAAA
More than once coincidence, as Avicennna purely by coincidence copied and pasted from TWO Guardian articles.
PZ Myers is providing a haven for plagiarists!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Avi really is the most hopeless liar on earth. I bet I could get him to say he owns a magic carpet.
Ask PeeZy - they've probably been to Hushabye Mountain on it together.

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

Southern wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, 8chan are as douchey as 4chan used to be? No surprise there. Anyway, no doxxing here, friendly reminder.
She's OK with doxxing, as she herself said. Let the chan have its fun. Words should have some sort of consequence for these people, for a change.
Rebecca tweeted a threat of sexual violence against Mitt Romney. By her own standards (which I whole heartedly condemn) she deserves to be doxed.
Still, fuck those 8chan guys that are trying to dox her for stooping to her level.

Also am I the only one that sees this "And if you follow me around calling me a liar and a coward, I will punch you in the face." and thinks of this:
[youtube]VbwTMJroTbI[/youtube]
I said it before I'll say it again Watson's comments are a defense of all domestic abuse.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

didymos wrote:

I like how he posted this tweet:
and then wrote:

They know nothing about Avi; they believe it’s possible he’s an "unemployed white guy in Edinburgh".
No, they don't really believe that, you jackass. It's called hyperbole.

Doesn't everyone know who Avicenna is in real life?

His ability to keep himself truly anonymous matches his ability to not tell lies every second sentence.

Avi, we know exactly who you are.
We know you are a trainee physician.
We know your Mother and your Father (he's the spitting image of you, by the way!)
They seem very hard working doctors.

That is why we are disgusted by your lies.

If you were a no-hope fuckwit like Lousy Rapist or Dana Hunter we wouldn't give two shits about your fabrications.
It's the fact that you are able to lie so easily and yet are now qualified to hold people lives in your hands that has us scared - particularly why you pull stunts like photographing psychologically challenged women patients tied to their hospital beds and then post these pictures online to make money for yourself.
This is the sort of thing that would normally get you permanently banned from the medical profession.

The fact that you are also a blatant plagiarist is of no interest other than demonstrating the depths to which identity politics drags its adherents. Your plagiarism will be completely excused by the FTB sycophants - as will your lying.
You know that, and we know that.

The trouble, of course, is that the more complicated and intricate becomes the tangled web of your lies and deceptions, the more easy it becomes to expose you. While I doubt Peezus and chums will ever kick you off FTB, they may relegate you to oolong like status - a useful idiot that can be used on occasion, but not someone you'd ever want to be publicly associated with.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:FreeThoughtBlogs is a haven for pathological liars (PZ Myers, Avicenna, etc.).
You won't be surprised by what I came across: Taslima Nasreen's German wiki page lists some controversies during the 1990s with interesting quotes from news magazines of repute. I cite the passage, I snipped once, other “[...]” are the in source.
[url=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taslima_Nasrin]Translated[/url] german wiki wrote:There were accusations in German media that Nasreen only uses her fame to portray herself as an alleged victim. The Süddeutsche Zeitung described her as a “false martyr” <snip> “it's grotesque that an asylum seeker of such a small mind as Taslima Nasreen is deemed a celebrated intellectual”. Her novel pamphlet ‘Lajja’ was a complete flop at home [A: I take it to mean in Bangladesh]— not only because it was recognized as crap, but also because it became known that she plagiarized other authors”

The Berlin-based author Daud Haider from Bangladesh wrote in the TAZ [well-known left-wing mag] about Nasreen's motivation:

When she began as a poetry author, she had to learn that nobody was interested in her poems. It occured to her: I only become a celebrity when I raise controversy [A: ~trouble], and if possible with woman-topics [...] she then began writing columns in the newspaper of her ex-husband [...] but that didn't work. Intellectuals, women included, still believed her texts to be utter rubbish

smoothmedia

Post by smoothmedia »

Avicenna's defense of his plagiarism is hilariously terrible.

Scary Secret Muslim ‏@Million_Gods 28m28 minutes ago
@smoothmedia Not really. I am kind of done discussing my failings with people who outright lie. There is no response.

smoothmedia ‏@smoothmedia 25m25 minutes ago
@Million_Gods I see, so despite the criticism being true (it was plagiarism) you don't have to respond because of WHO made the criticism.

Scary Secret Muslim ‏@Million_Gods 9m9 minutes ago
@smoothmedia When your side was engaged in racism and slander you were rather silent about that. Clean your own house first mate.

Scary Secret Muslim ‏@Million_Gods 7m7 minutes ago
@smoothmedia And 3 or 4 lines in a 1000 word piece is hardly plagiarism. You lot have quoted entire pieces of mine with no attribution.

smoothmedia ‏@smoothmedia 1m1 minute ago
@Million_Gods 230 words in a 730 word piece is more than "hardly" plagiarism. It's "absolutely" plagiarism.

dogen

Post by dogen »

smoothmedia wrote:Avicenna's defense of his plagiarism is hilariously terrible.

@smoothmedia Not really. I am kind of done discussing my failings with people who outright lie. There is no response.

@Million_Gods I see, so despite the criticism being true (it was plagiarism) you don't have to respond because of WHO made the criticism.

@smoothmedia When your side was engaged in racism and slander you were rather silent about that. Clean your own house first mate.

@smoothmedia And 3 or 4 lines in a 1000 word piece is hardly plagiarism. You lot have quoted entire pieces of mine with no attribution.

@Million_Gods 230 words in a 730 word piece is more than "hardly" plagiarism. It's "absolutely" plagiarism.
Has anyone contacted the Guardian about this? If not, I'd be happy to do so.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Postby Aneris » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:10 pm • [Post 7594]
You won't be surprised by what I came across:
http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/posting.p ... 1&p=246033#

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Aneris wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:FreeThoughtBlogs is a haven for pathological liars (PZ Myers, Avicenna, etc.).
You won't be surprised by what I came across: Taslima Nasreen's German wiki page lists some controversies during the 1990s with interesting quotes from news magazines of repute. I cite the passage, I snipped once, other “[...]” are the in source.
[url=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taslima_Nasrin]Translated[/url] german wiki wrote:There were accusations in German media that Nasreen only uses her fame to portray herself as an alleged victim. The Süddeutsche Zeitung described her as a “false martyr” <snip> “it's grotesque that an asylum seeker of such a small mind as Taslima Nasreen is deemed a celebrated intellectual”. Her novel pamphlet ‘Lajja’ was a complete flop at home [A: I take it to mean in Bangladesh]— not only because it was recognized as crap, but also because it became known that she plagiarized other authors”

The Berlin-based author Daud Haider from Bangladesh wrote in the TAZ [well-known left-wing mag] about Nasreen's motivation:

When she began as a poetry author, she had to learn that nobody was interested in her poems. It occured to her: I only become a celebrity when I raise controversy [A: ~trouble], and if possible with woman-topics [...] she then began writing columns in the newspaper of her ex-husband [...] but that didn't work. Intellectuals, women included, still believed her texts to be utter rubbish
For what it's worth, I've read extracts of her autobiographical writings and found them to be excellent.
Which was surprising to me because her FTB blogging is fucking awful - both in terms of composition and in terms of content (her scientific posts appear to be written by someone with less scientific background than Rebecca Watson).

So, either she writes very well in her native language (her autobiographical works were originally written in a Banglageshi language) or her English translator was very talented.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

That Godfrey Elfwick thing is a Poe, right?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Aneris wrote:

I am not surprised. Her profile on her blog No Country for Women is even more grandiose than that of Dr. Richard Carrier PhD. If something sounds to good to be true it usually isn't true.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

dogen wrote:
smoothmedia wrote:Avicenna's defense of his plagiarism is hilariously terrible.

Has anyone contacted the Guardian about this? If not, I'd be happy to do so.
But gee, golly...wouldn't the Guardian be upset by Avi ripping off their material to make a profit? He could get in trouble, and that's racism! Or something...

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BarnOwl wrote:PeeZus isn't replying to "sealioning" at all in that post; he's merely linked to a piece (poorly) written by someone else. Basically it's another typical SJW faulty reasoning article in which the author assigns thoughts and motivations to others ... something about which they'd be furious and shaking and crying rage tears if it were done to them.
Ahh - I thought the link led to the origin of the cartoon. That'll teach me to waste a few more minutes and verify. :doh:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Herr Myers: It's allright, Avi. I will vouch for you.

Avi: Mein Führer...

Herr Myers: The attack by General Zvan will fix everything.

Avi: Mein Führer. They found out I committed plagiary. I had to lie about it on Twiter.

Herr Myers: What the fuck! I just wrote a blog post defending your sorry ass. I fucking lied for you! I said that trolls always send me e-mails plagiarized from the internet. Of course, that was a complete lie. But my gullible commentariat will swallow it. But this! This! How could you be so fucking stupid, you moron?

Avi: I'm sorry, mein Führer. Leave it to me. I will invent something.

Herr Myers: All is lost. Our only hope is to play the race card. I'm not sure if even my Horde is stupid enough to fall for it, but it is all we have. Fucking asshole. You're useless. Useless.

StrawmanSam

Post by StrawmanSam »

Seriously, just look at this!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

StrawmanSam wrote:Seriously, just look at this!
Jesus Christ. It doesn't even make sense.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I sense an imminent, full-blown a PZ freak-out in the wind. Can't wait. May need to do my bit as a picador.
Oh, please do. And ask if you need help. That would be the only good thing to expect from 2015: a Peezus meltdown.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Godfrey Elfwick says that the accuser should apologize anyway, even though it's not a shop...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Is anybody familiar enough with UK law to know if just Avi will be liable for plagarism, or if FtB will be as well? I can't imagine they would be okay with it....

Southern

Post by Southern »

Some Lurker wrote:
Southern wrote:
Rebecca tweeted a threat of sexual violence against Mitt Romney. By her own standards (which I whole heartedly condemn) she deserves to be doxed.
Still, fuck those 8chan guys that are trying to dox her for stooping to her level.

Also am I the only one that sees this "And if you follow me around calling me a liar and a coward, I will punch you in the face." and thinks of this:
[youtube]VbwTMJroTbI[/youtube]
I said it before I'll say it again Watson's comments are a defense of all domestic abuse.
Fuck the 8chan, alright. But, really, what did you expect from a *chan site? Specially one that was created specifically because Moot the Cuckold was (according to some who may or may not be trolls) letting the SJW take control of the mod seats on 4chan?

They have done worse in the past, and they'll probably pick on less well-deserving targets than Watson in the future. Hell, I would totally lament if they tried to doxx the ol' Proffe (who may or may not be dead, can someone check on him?) or Ed Brayton, or the Vogon poetry chick, or any other of the FTB members (yeah, even Martin Wagner, although I suspect he could find his place on some furry board on 8chan, who knows). Watson, Peezus, Svan, Ofie? I'll enjoy them reaping what they sowed, to be honest. I'm a terrible person, but I'm on the fair side of terrible. I'm more Nemesis than Zeus, you know what I mean?

Southern

Post by Southern »

I lived to see "Socratic method" and "Twitter" used on the same sentence. Fuck this new year.

Parody Accountant

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Is anybody familiar enough with UK law to know if just Avi will be liable for plagarism, or if FtB will be as well? I can't imagine they would be okay with it....
I don't know about the law but charges of plagiarism recently sent C J Werleman running away with his tail between his legs - after he'd concocted similar charges against Harris.

In any case, Avi has copied a lot more than this, hasn't he?

Shatterface

Parody Accountant

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Avicenna talks like there aren't people of colour on the Pit.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Avi is beyond parody. Now he's backtracking like a twat saying the article he plagirised was due to "bad internet" he receives in rural India.
It just appeared on his computer due to his bad internet connection apparently: How can he expect anybody to fall for this utter, utter shite?

Really?

Post by Really? »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:Avicenna talks like there aren't people of colour on the Pit.
In his defense, he can't visit the pit long enough to determine everyone's racial identity because he's been banned.

:music-tool: