Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Opyt

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by Opyt »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:No, the rape shield law referenced was meant to protect the victim (accuser) who will not be forced to testify in front of the court. Testimony can be taken under oath in a closed hearing. The defendant can exercise their 5th amendment rights, but rarely, rarely do so. It is tantamount to pleading guilty or nolo contendre.

I worked as a paralegal during my undergrad days, and I cannot recall one instance of the accused refusing to testify, unless a plea bargain had already been arranged. If you actually want to fight the accusation, not just take the sentence, you gotta talk. Rape shield laws were enacted so as to prevent more trauma to the alleged victim, and have little to do with the defendant.
Yeah, that was pointed out. I failed several times over on the reading-comprehension test. One of these days I'll learn. :lol:

I missed the part where you said accused, and the part where you said "testify" rather than merely being present. One of these days I'll get it. :doh:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
And it seems that it is really only applicable to the iPhone in the context of the "Touch ID" capability" as a 16 character password is something that everybody should be able to come up with and remember - and that gives a 128 bit AES encryption which is virtually uncrackable, at least with current technology.
You can't have done tech support if you believe that.
A bunch of it actually, but not anything having to do with forgotten passwords. Which I expect happens a lot. But I wonder what percentage that might be, and I note that most if not all sites have hints to reduce the problematic consequences.

So while 16-character strings for passwords could be a workable stop-gap solution – New York Magazine thought so, maybe the ultimate solution is fingerprint recognition – which seems well within the capabilities of the iPhone 5S.
What keeps the woman from claiming that she was forced to fingerprint? Sorry if you've already covered that. Brain is on pain medication. But I'm not sure how you can enact a safety that the woman (cause only women get raped, amirite?) can't say she was forced, coerced or tricked into doing.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

I've been compiling some GMO-related sources. Don't think I'll use any of them myself in public Facebook feuds, but I thought some of you might find them useful.

Major government-funded publications (the European ones offer a good response to "Why are they banned in Europe?")
Short peer-reviewed summaries of the state of GMO research
I also started looking into Monsanto's lawsuits. Supposedly they sue farmers whose fields were inadvertently cross-contaminated with trace amounts of Monsanto seeds. I wouldn't put it past a big corporation to pull some crap like that (intentionally or not), but I haven't found reliable evidence that supports the claim.

What I've found is that Monsanto has sued about 150 farmers over the years for patent infringement or breach of contract, of which all but 11 settled out of court (I don't know how to get details about those settled cases—nigh impossible I'd imagine). Of the 11 farmers who went all the way to court, all 11 lost. Information on those decided cases is probably accessible if you know what you're doing, but I don't. (Anyone have any info?)

Information on the most famous case (Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser) is easily found, as it went all the way to the Canadian Supreme Court. There’s a popular misconception that this case was about cross-contamination, but actually the defense did NOT argue cross-contamination for the year in question (1998). See paragraphs 119–27 of the decision: http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/dec ... 1/index.do

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
welch wrote:
Steersman wrote: You really should take a look at the details of that encryption process envisioned (256 bit keys at a minimum which is still more than what even NSA can crack), and the way that “secret-sharing” works.

Which would you think is worse? Having someone see you in the act? Or going to the slammer for ten-to-twenty for a crime you didn’t commit? Or knowing that someone else was walking away after committing an egregious crime? Personally, I’d go with the alternative behind door one.

And something which judges do all the time. And they frequently view such things behind closed doors so the general public isn’t privy to those details.
The problem is less technical than people focus on. It's a fragile process with multiple single points of failure.
Just one of the myriad reasons this'd never work.

But more importantly, it's fucking idiotic & unnecessary. This is about people who are shitty at relationships wanting to ruin it for the rest of us.
Probably "idiotic and unnecessary" in many circumstances - marriages and committed relationships of one sort or another for examples. But obviously, or what should be obvious, not all relationships are created equal or exhibit the same attributes or encompass the same circumstances - fortunately.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Pitchguest wrote:Anyone who watches her videos and knows the ins and outs of the games she's talking about knows she's talking utter shit. And still she is talking, monotonously, caked in make-up, trimmed eyebrows and hoop earrings, into the camera without a change of pace. She got nearly $160,000 for this, how about showing what that was worth?
That's the thing though, her target audience simply aren't those who "know the ins and outs of the games".

Sarkeesian's target audience is not gamers, it is the angry social justice feminists - and she is delivering exactly what they paid for: "Proof" of how sexists, misogynistic and outright horrible both games and gamers are.

That's why Sarkeesian doesn't give a shit about how dishonest she is, or that she outright lies. Her target audience can't spot those lies, nor do they really give a shit if it's honest or factually correct, it fits their ideology and dogmas, and that's good enough for them. The actual gamers who do spot her dishonesty and lies and get's upset only further serve her purpose - those people are proof of just how misogynistic gamers are to her target audience.
This is also one of the reasons why she simply never address criticism - her target audience do not want a discussion, they do not want nuance, and they do not want to hear any admission of weakness from their own side, ever. What her target audience wants are videos they can cram down their enemies throats while yelling "EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!" or "WATCH THIS IF YOU DON'T THINK GAMES ARE MISOGYNISTIC YOU FUCKFACE!!!".

windy

Post by windy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
windy wrote:Good start, but a fingerprint wouldn't be enough, since consent can be revoked at any time. The app would need to have a dead man's (/woman's/transperson's/otherkin's) switch that needs to be pressed for the duration of the sex act.
How about voice recognition for a "safe word" ... like ... cacao?
Ooh, I got an idea -- how bout not sleeping with crazy people?
Is there an app for that?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote:It is partly satirical in response to the semi-recent discussions with Sarah Jones, among others, on the question of being cautious about who you go out drinking with and who you go home with. And about taking the same proactive steps we do to ensure we’re not robbed.

Maybe you’re a little more circumspect, or lucky, in such choices, but I think it unreasonable to deny the fact that many others aren’t. Analogously, virtually all of us pay medical or home insurance, but substantially fewer of us wind up being obliged to have recourse to the mechanisms provided.
Take Sarah Jones as example. So, you meet her in a bar, and she's cute, so you start chatting with her. And the conversation's going pretty good, even if you can't quite figure out why she keeps making that I-smell-poo face. If you don't get utterly trashed, and aren't committed to gettin-laid-tonight-or-bust, then you pay attention to what Shelly ... Sharon ... Sarah is saying. And before too long, you realize she's a fucking loon. So you smile warmly, bid adieu, and head home to catch the scores on ESPN. Shuh .. Sarah makes her Level II, I-smell-poo-and-it-is-you face, hangs around the bar for another futile hour or so, then heads home to write a blog post about what nasty shits men are.

And you live happily ever after. Sarah Jones, not so much.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Opyt wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:No, the rape shield law referenced was meant to protect the victim (accuser) who will not be forced to testify in front of the court. Testimony can be taken under oath in a closed hearing. The defendant can exercise their 5th amendment rights, but rarely, rarely do so. It is tantamount to pleading guilty or nolo contendre.

I worked as a paralegal during my undergrad days, and I cannot recall one instance of the accused refusing to testify, unless a plea bargain had already been arranged. If you actually want to fight the accusation, not just take the sentence, you gotta talk. Rape shield laws were enacted so as to prevent more trauma to the alleged victim, and have little to do with the defendant.
Yeah, that was pointed out. I failed several times over on the reading-comprehension test. One of these days I'll learn. :lol:

I missed the part where you said accused, and the part where you said "testify" rather than merely being present. One of these days I'll get it. :doh:
No worries. It's likely I'm making less sense than usual, as medication takes its toll on my remaining brain cells. One thing that's really clear is that it's a perilous time for a CIS straight male to be dating. When you have to think about apps and making videos of sex to prove you're not a rapist, it is high time for celibacy or prostitutes.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

windy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Ooh, I got an idea -- how bout not sleeping with crazy people?
In beta. Ben Radford's got one on pre-order.

Brive1987

Re: Sarkeesian

Post by Brive1987 »

Aneris wrote:
When she however complains about sex workers, just by proxy when they are being reproduced in a video game, then her argument is misguided. What about shooting people in the head?
Wouldn't be a problem if we banned people other than farmers and law enforcement from possessing high powered weapons designed for efficiently dealing death. Want the thrill of implied (and sometimes explicit) power by proxy? Exercise it on a computer against pixels.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Aneris wrote: When she however complains about sex workers, just by proxy when they are being reproduced in a video game, then her argument is misguided. What about shooting people in the head?
#Mencantbeshotinthehead

CaptainFluffyBunny

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
windy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Ooh, I got an idea -- how bout not sleeping with crazy people?
Heh, funny. But he kept it up with her after the crazy started to show, as I recall. Played with fire...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:[.quote="Steersman"]
<snip>
And it seems that it is really only applicable to the iPhone in the context of the "Touch ID" capability" as a 16 character password is something that everybody should be able to come up with and remember - and that gives a 128 bit AES encryption which is virtually uncrackable, at least with current technology.[/.quote]
A bunch of it actually, but not anything having to do with forgotten passwords. Which I expect happens a lot. But I wonder what percentage that might be, and I note that most if not all sites have hints to reduce the problematic consequences.

So while 16-character strings for passwords could be a workable stop-gap solution – New York Magazine thought so, maybe the ultimate solution is fingerprint recognition – which seems well within the capabilities of the iPhone 5S.
What keeps the woman from claiming that she was forced to fingerprint? Sorry if you've already covered that. Brain is on pain medication. But I'm not sure how you can enact a safety that the woman (cause only women get raped, amirite?) can't say she was forced, coerced or tricked into doing.
I suppose that is theoretically possible but one has to wonder at the probabilities. I sort of look at it, as my comments on Sarah Jones' site suggested, as being analogous to doorlocks and burglar alarms: sure, any system, or virtually any system, can be cracked if one has enough resources to do so. But if the cost of doing that significantly outweighs the benefits then the probability of anyone attempting it is likely to be greatly reduced.

But more particularly and relative to the example I referred to in that AtheismPlus thread, if the woman had gotten the guy's password and fingerprint ID before they ever left the bar then one might argue that it is substantially less likely that she would have been raped.

In addition, in the case you describe, if she was tricked into providing a fingerprint but if there's no video, or audio, of subsequent activities then it would seem her case is likely to be stronger that she had been raped. It's a process, and all of the elements have to be present.

acathode

Post by acathode »

ps. Also, I seriously consider the insanely stupid complains about the ability to kill women NPCs in open world games where the player is equally able to kill male NPCs to be conscious troll-bait, put there specifically to generate controversy, get gamers upset about the blatant dishonesty and to draw out some "trolls" (though in reality, Sarkeesian is the troll).

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Aneris wrote:Just how inane Ms Sarkeesian's efforts are becomes apparent when you consider that everything put into a story, or video game is put there for a reason: people are there to make the streets look populated, shop keepers to sell stuff, children with banter to provide context, npcs to dispense quests and so forth. They are also all objects, quite literally. They are all “objectified” because their human qualities or great character aren't of importance. And as per Chekhov's Laws everything should have a functional purpose, even if purposeless for the reason to provide a red herring. And if the purpose of prostitute npcs is to provide a seedy atmosphere, because sex sells and male gamers don't mind seeing scantly clad women, then this “objectification” does not go beyond that of the cannonfodder enenies whose sole purpose is to ve blown up.

When she however complains about sex workers, just by proxy when they are being reproduced in a video game, then her argument is misguided. What about shooting people in the head?
She's transparently Jack Thompson in her views on video game violence as well, she just doesn't mention it because saying video game violence causes real violence is patently false and gamers are sick of that particular bullshit lie.

There was some video floating around where Anita said she's not a gamer, doesn't really play games because "I don't enjoy blowing people's heads off."

What a gender-typical, sexist, anti-games response!

I have no doubt that she would be anti-"video game violence" or anti-"video games showing anything that doesn't appeal to her personally" in her videos if she thought that would play with the gamer crowd.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: Probably "idiotic and unnecessary" in many circumstances - marriages and committed relationships of one sort or another for examples. But obviously, or what should be obvious, not all relationships are created equal or exhibit the same attributes or encompass the same circumstances - fortunately.
Bullshit. This only became a "problem" out of the blue because SJWs decided it was. That, and the Democratic Party in the US is pushing Teh War on Womenâ„¢.

Why burden every single sex act by everyone with this convoluted technical prophylactic, when fact is, c. 3% of the male population do all the raping. Find them, then kill them, castrate them, or lock them up forever. Problem solved.

welch

Post by welch »

James Caruthers wrote:
welch wrote:
Some Lurker wrote:Holy Shit! I just finished watching the new Sarkeesian video. It was her most ridiculous video yet. It is so full of shit that I don't honestly see how anyone who has played any of the Open World games she referenced could possibly even begin to think her argument is even remotely reasonable. I am not exaggerating. It starts bad and just keeps getting worse and worse until she becomes Jack Thompson, Gail Dines and Andrea Dworkin all rolled into one.
REALLY!!
Her videos are basically the same thing, over and over. Just with different play videos in the background. If she were interested in doing this in a serious manner, she could have done an interesting, balanced series. But she's not, and she didn't. Pity.
More specifically, she's a professional con who doesn't give a shit about her field of interest, isn't qualified to talk about anything, hasn't played nearly as many games nearly as much as the average "girl gamer" and is only in this for the money.

So engaging with her material is doing her a service she does not deserve. Indie gaming and female devs already are, and have been, addressing any true gender inequalities. But it wouldn't matter if they weren't. If I'm a game designer and I want my main character to be a man, who the fuck are you or anyone else to tell me what I can't create? I'm the one creating, not you.
Honestly, if a dev would say that, it would be less stupid. It's when they try to justify it that devs get in trouble, because in a real sense, you can't *justify* it. You can *explain* it.

If Ubisoft had said:
Look, here's the thing. We had a resource allocation issue. We spent a TON of time on worldbuilding and multiplayer. The former is bigger than anything we've ever done, and the latter is really completely new for us. So something had to take it in the shorts, and that something was protagonist development. You may have noticed that we didn't exactly break new ground, even with only a male protagonist there. (and their multiplayer is not exactly sophisticated.) So we didn't have much of a choice. Pushing back the release was no longer an option due to the normal reasons, i.e. we need money coming in, not just going out.

So we cut the female protagonist out, for now and we are genuinely sorry for that.

Which leads us to the next question: How do we make it better? Apologies are nice, but if we don't try to make it better, why bother apologizing?

So we have two things to talk about there. First, to show you that we had actually been working on this, and not just talking out of our asses, here, some of the prototypes of the game with a female protagonist. It's not polished, but it is real.

<DEMONSTRATION>

Second, once the team has had a week or so off to remind their families they exist, we're going to go back to work on a fairly extensive DLC which will allow you to play as a woman. This is not a mini/short game ala Liberation. This will be the full-on Unity experience. It's not going to be ready in a week, but we are going to work like hell to have it read by the end of spring 2015. Yes, that's not fast, but we don't want to half-ass it, this is actually important to us too. Since this is not exactly a secret, we'll see about posting regular updates so you can follow along and see we're really doing this.

If you pre-order Unity, you'll get this DLC for free. If you order after the release date, it will be <COST>.

We stumbled here, and we're sorry, but we're going to work like hell to make it better. Thank you.
sure, you're still going to have some assclowns who want everything right now and perfect. Fuck those people. Doing that, unprompted at the initial announcement would have made...99% of this problem go away. They wouldn't have been justifying it or excusing it. They would have been explaining what happened, showing proof that they really did mean to do what they said they had, and then laying out a path to make things better.

Most people, i.e. the ones you'll never see on tumblr or twitter, and who represent the vast majority of the gaming public would have gotten this, and respected it. Hell, even the people who are really pissed at them right now would have gotten this for the most part. Sure the loons wouldn't have, nor sarkeesian, but they can all line up and fuck off. You can't spend your life catering to that lot.

There are things you can't ever justify, but you can explain your reasoning. Do so in an honest, non-accusatory/non-confrontational manner, and even when people disagree, you'll still look better than you would by offering a line of weak-assed excuses.

welch

Post by welch »

Clarence wrote:
welch wrote:
real horrorshow wrote: Now now. You don't welch to start telling you what's going on in your head too do you? His Internet telepathy is right up there with those SJWs who always know what you're thinking better than you do.

Besides, his mightiness has twice given us permission to assume that his opinions are whatever we please. (The possibility that someone might not give a fuck about his opinion being blasphemy of course.) In case you are interested though - from what I've read so far - the gospel according to welch is:

1) FGM is worse, so shut the fuck up.

2) It never did me any harm, so shut the fuck up.
I should have asked you what I thought years ago.

Yes, you should have. It is always good to see when someone achieves personal enlightenment. :clap: :lol: :D
you're always so right clarence.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Opyt wrote:

No worries. It's likely I'm making less sense than usual, as medication takes its toll on my remaining brain cells. One thing that's really clear is that it's a perilous time for a CIS straight male to be dating. When you have to think about apps and making videos of sex to prove you're not a rapist, it is high time for celibacy or prostitutes.
I'm confident that once the sex android is perfected, it will be the end of feminism as we know it.

welch

Post by welch »

Karmakin wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Sarkeesian is just an incredible prude, like all "moral guardians" who believe that pop culture and entertainment is responsible for crimes and general evilness.

She's a feminist Jack Thompson.
Ding Ding Ding.

Instead her schtick isn't about general violence in society, it's specifically about "toxic masculinity".
To be fair, thompson was, at least for a short time, a competent lawyer before he jumped off the deep end. I don't think Sarkeesian can say even that.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: Probably "idiotic and unnecessary" in many circumstances - marriages and committed relationships of one sort or another for examples. But obviously, or what should be obvious, not all relationships are created equal or exhibit the same attributes or encompass the same circumstances - fortunately.
Bullshit. This only became a "problem" out of the blue because SJWs decided it was. That, and the Democratic Party in the US is pushing Teh War on Womenâ„¢.

Why burden every single sex act by everyone with this convoluted technical prophylactic, when fact is, c. 3% of the male population do all the raping. Find them, then kill them, castrate them, or lock them up forever. Problem solved.
You know what the problem with that is? The other 97% not unquestioningly accepting that females never lie, especially about something like rape.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Aneris wrote:Just how inane Ms Sarkeesian's efforts are becomes apparent when you consider that everything put into a story, or video game is put there for a reason: people are there to make the streets look populated, shop keepers to sell stuff, children with banter to provide context, npcs to dispense quests and so forth. They are also all objects, quite literally. They are all “objectified” because their human qualities or great character aren't of importance. And as per Chekhov's Laws everything should have a functional purpose, even if purposeless for the reason to provide a red herring. And if the purpose of prostitute npcs is to provide a seedy atmosphere, because sex sells and male gamers don't mind seeing scantly clad women, then this “objectification” does not go beyond that of the cannonfodder enenies whose sole purpose is to ve blown up.

Precisely. There is no denying that sex workers exist in the real world and in the real world it's even less glamorous. Is her point that game developers should glorify these professions to make them less seedy, or remove them entirely? Also in the open world games she criticises where these sex workers can be bought for a service, there are also guns, explosives, various ways to kill people, running from the police, helping the police, shooting the police or the ability to go on a complete killing spree. She shows a scene in Red Dead Redemption where a sex worker is standing on a rafter overlooking the town, where the player chooses to hogtie her and put her on the back of a horse. Bear in mind that this is a mechanic in the game that exists when you catch burglars or bounties and you do the same exact thing; hogtie and put them on the back of the horse. And the action of hogtying this particular sex worker is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY. She's not part of the main quest line, it is not a requirement, she's just part of the scenery. Why was this even shown?

Not to mention that Red Dead Redemption is a pretty damn fine good game. Well written, well directed, well put together. At the time it was one of the games of the year and to me it still ranks very well high up there as one of the best games ever made. This selective showing by Sarkeesian put RDR in a seriously bad light, making it seem like it's nothing more than a caveman simulator hitting women over the head with a club dragging them back by their hairline to their dwelling. I still haven't played GTA5 (but I will when it gets ported to PC), but if it's anything like the other iterations then I can say for the most part it's pure cheese. And Saints Row, the very first game that came out in what, 2002? No. 2006. The first game tried to be serious, but by the time the second and third installment? Jesus Christ, they have a fucking giant pink dildo as a weapon. Is she at all being serious when trying to analyze these games or does she just make it up as she goes along?

And, of course, shooting people in the head. It's funny how she ignores all these other functions that open world games provides, the ultra-violence, the gore, the fact that most people (men and women) are disposable characters that you can do with pretty much whatever you want. She just focuses on one thing: women. I will bet my life's savings that she has not played a minute - a second! - of the games she showcases in the latest video. Not one. She shows a scene in Dishonoured where the main character shoves a knife in the lady's throat. Does she know that Dishonoured is about a man who was forced to become an assassin, with the choice to become a killer or a saviour? Does she know that Dishonoured features countless men that can be slaughtered at a moment's notice? Does she know that Dishonoured features women soldiers?

Same thing with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You can choose to be good, bad or indifferent. The choice is yours. Yet she shows a scene where a random woman is stabbed in the back. What's her point?

There are so many other games and scenes from those games I can dissect to show just how ridiculous her claims about "violence to women in videogames" (she actually uses that phrase) is. If anyone is backing, let alone praising, this piece of huckster rubbish, they have no idea what they're talking about. We'll see when self-proclaimed "gamer" Lousy Canuck sees it and what he has to say. Presumably he will rationalize all the bullshit and defend it anyway. My prediction. The woman is a damsel, after all (all those people being mean to her!) and she is in distress. Someone has to fight for the honour of the poor lady.

:lol:

windy

Post by windy »

Watch out folks, we've got a chill girl over here.

http://www.thelocal.de/20140506/game-of ... -the-local
The 33-year-old says she is proud of the way women are portrayed in the show. She told The Local that Game of Thrones is one of the first shows where women are equal to men.

“They are manipulative, dangerous, fighters and intelligent. George R. R. Martin, Dan and David are wonderful writers and you can feel that they love their female characters. Shae is one of these strong women," she says.

There has been controversy about the portrayal of violence and sexual conduct towards women in Game of Thrones, but Kekilli dismisses the criticism. “The violence in the show is not only towards women, but in many scenes also towards children and of course men. It is an important part of the show. Every turn of the story seems to be consequent and somehow reasonable.”

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Besides, Social Justice Warriorism is now also causing issues in the German school system. The noble idea is as follows: treat challenged pupils like all other, and include them into regular classes (before there were special schools for them). But how do you integrate pupils who don't have the necessary skills to follow a certain level of education? Well, loophole: They should not be discrimminated against, thus can be included wherever the parents want. Utopia for the win!

The result is, that already at the beginning parents of a child with down syndrome wanted to have their kid in “gymnasium” (the most advanced of the three school types, originally meant for higher learning/academical careers). That kid can't even write, according to Der Spiegel. Not only are the teachers fairly unprepared to deal with such pupils, such pupils also disrupt education for all others.

It's fairly safe to say that this trainwreck will be rolled back quietly and the previous system installed under a new name, perhaps as a synergy with what works under this new system (though you need special schools for kids who can't follow regular schools). The problem, as usual, the people responsible never seem to face consequences.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Bullshit.
The U.S. Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey states that on average there are 237,868 victims (age 12 or older) of sexual assault and rape each year. By these calculations an American is sexually assaulted every two minutes.
Either there is an awful lot of rape – and sexual assault – happening in the States every year, or there is a rather large number of false accusations thereof.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Why burden every single sex act by everyone with this convoluted technical prophylactic, when fact is, c. 3% of the male population do all the raping. Find them, then kill them, castrate them, or lock them up forever. Problem solved.
As mentioned, several times now I think, I’m hardly promoting this to “burden every single sex act” – only those where there is an increased probability of a crime being committed. In addition, one might say that, analogously, only 5% of the population commits 95% of the robbery and murder and arson, and that society spends a not inconsiderable sum trying to track them down and incarcerate them. But I rather doubt that precludes you from spending money on insurance or on making your home secure.

welch

Post by welch »

welch wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: I'm pretty sure that that applies to the accuser, not the defendant. It's to prevent trauma and stress to the victim, not the person defending themselves against the allegation(s). The defendant being the one accused.
Nope. The accuser, or more correctly, the prosecution side is the one burdened with 100% of the proof requirement. The defendant is literally not required to prove their innocence. Guilt, not innocence must be proved.

That is where a lot of the "oddities" of our criminal justice system spring from, and a lot of it is rather counter-intuitive.
No, the rape shield law referenced was meant to protect the victim (accuser) who will not be forced to testify in front of the court. Testimony can be taken under oath in a closed hearing. The defendant can exercise their 5th amendment rights, but rarely, rarely do so. It is tantamount to pleading guilty or nolo contendre.

that would be the difference between theory and practice. As far as I understand it, legally, because of innocent until proven guilty the defendant is not required to testify. they are legally innocent, albeit accused, until a guilty verdict is rendered. (the judge in the case I did jury duty on was REALLY emphatic about that.) I agree though that it is probably not the best idea for them to actually not do that in most cases, although there are examples all over the place where maybe they should have said nothing. (Jodi Arias comes to mind.)

The last time I did jury duty, it was kind of odd. Two brothers, twins, both accused of the same crime, (a smorgasbord of B&E and assault, no rape/sexual assault) but with different lawyers. One testified, the other didn't. Honestly, it didn't make much of a difference either way, the prosecution had a tight case, lots of witnesses, etc.

But it did seem that in the case of the brother who didn't testify, that that while it may not have HELPED his cause, it at least didn't HURT. Again, the prosecution's case was solid, I doubt OJ's team could have done much in this case. But lord, the one who testified should have been called as a hostile witness against himself. Sometimes, it is truly better to not get on the stand. Given enough time with the idiot he had for a lawyer, he might have convinced the prosecution to try for attempted murder, not just assault.

(Really, I wish I could have recorded it. It was EPICALLY stupid. His lawyer's entire case rested on an incident that happened two hours prior to the other crime and seemed to be some weird kind of Tu Quoque thing. "SEE! THE PLAINTIFF IS NO ANGEL EITHER!!! SO THEREFORE, MY CLIENT ISN'T GUILTY!" Um...dude? Seriously? Your client has been fingered by no less than 8 people, including a former best friend and his now ex-girlfriend. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here. Did you lose a bet or something?)

The other lawyer realized he was screwed, so he had his client just sit there and not fuck it up even worse, and gave it a decent shot. It ended up not being very effective, but at least he seemed competent. Law is so weird.

acathode

Post by acathode »

paddybrown wrote:Fry and Laurie were ahead of the game as usual...

[youtube]NuWGVmlkLKo[/youtube]
Since consent can be withdrawn at any point according to most feminists, a contract would actually be worth absolutely nothing in terms of proving/disproving rape. I kinda agree with that, consent can be withdrawn even in the middle of sex.

(However, where I probably disagree with a lot of SJW feminists, is that in such a situation the onus lies on the one who've withdrawn their consent to actually communicate that fact to their partner)

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
welch wrote:
Steersman wrote: You really should take a look at the details of that encryption process envisioned (256 bit keys at a minimum which is still more than what even NSA can crack), and the way that “secret-sharing” works.

Which would you think is worse? Having someone see you in the act? Or going to the slammer for ten-to-twenty for a crime you didn’t commit? Or knowing that someone else was walking away after committing an egregious crime? Personally, I’d go with the alternative behind door one.

And something which judges do all the time. And they frequently view such things behind closed doors so the general public isn’t privy to those details.
The problem is less technical than people focus on. It's a fragile process with multiple single points of failure.
Just one of the myriad reasons this'd never work.

But more importantly, it's fucking idiotic & unnecessary. This is about people who are shitty at relationships wanting to ruin it for the rest of us.
Pretty much. While, when it happens, it really, really sucks, if you look at the actual numbers, it's fairly uncommon. Most people handle this shit pretty well without paperwork and video and public key encryption.

It's just that when it fails, it fails rather spectacularly. But trying to create a massive, cumbersome infrastructure for it, or solving the problem via THE MAGIC OF TECHNOLOGY is going to fail. It's not a technological problem.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

The Feminist Frequency website claims that FF is a 501(c)3 [sic] non-profit.

See right upper corner of text portion of the FF website, plus on the Donate page there are these 2 additional statements reinforcing that claim:

(1) "...your tax-exempt donation..."

(2) (bolding as in original): "We are a 501(c)3 non profit charity and we rely on generous donations from viewers to make these educational videos possible."

http://i.imgur.com/b85ptv8.png?1

Even though FF is a "public benefit corporation" in California (since 7/2013) and claims to be educational, I find the claim that FF has tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the US tax code to be unlikely for several reasons, including these:

(a) Feminist Frequency is a two people (Sarkeesian and McIntosh; Sarkeesian is the president of the corporation & McIntosh isn't listed in public records as an officer) and a nonprofit corporation has to have a Board with a plan for turnover and succession;

(b) one of the 4 key criteria for 501(c)(3)'s is that "no part of the net earnings...inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual"'

(c) FF doesn't show up on a search for Charitable Organizations "including those eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions".

However, luckily there is a way to get more information: Ask FF directly. :)

The IRS says a tax-exempt organizations to provide certain information to anyone - any member of the public - who requests it. :)

Check out this helpful information from the IRS:
Questions about Requirements for Exempt Organizations to Disclose IRS Filings to the General Public
What tax documents must an exempt organization make available for public inspection and copying?
What are the penalties for failure to comply with the disclosure requirements for exempt organizations tax documents, and who must pay them?

From the 2nd linked IRS info page above:
What tax documents must an exempt organization make available for public inspection and copying?

An exempt organization must make available for public inspection its exemption application. An exemption application includes the Form 1023 (for organizations recognized as exempt under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3)), Form 1024 (for organizations recognized as exempt under most other paragraphs of section 501(c)), or the letter submitted under the paragraphs for which no form is prescribed, together with supporting documents and any letter or document issued by the IRS concerning the application. ...
From the 3rd linked IRS info page above:
What are the penalties for failure to comply with the disclosure requirements for exempt organizations tax documents, and who must pay them?

Responsible persons of a tax-exempt organization who fail to provide the documents as required may be subject to a penalty of $20 per day for as long as the failure continues. There is a maximum penalty of $10,000 for each failure to provide a copy of an annual information return. There is no maximum penalty for the failure to provide a copy of an exemption application.
:whistle:

didymos

Post by didymos »

James Caruthers wrote: There was some video floating around where Anita said she's not a gamer, doesn't really play games because "I don't enjoy blowing people's heads off."
[youtube]Afgtd8ZsXzI[/youtube]

didymos

Post by didymos »

Over on Pharygula, we learn that GTA is putting strippers in danger:
Yeah, it’s common knowledge if you fondle a stripper during a lapdance, she’ll go home with you. Such a realistic depiction that in no way puts real strippers in danger if people like YOU somehow think this is realistic.
This person has clearly never been in a strip club if they think this is a real concern. Yeah, maybe that shit might fly in some seedy Tijuana bar or something, but try that anywhere else and the only one in danger will be you.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:
And it seems that it is really only applicable to the iPhone in the context of the "Touch ID" capability" as a 16 character password is something that everybody should be able to come up with and remember - and that gives a 128 bit AES encryption which is virtually uncrackable, at least with current technology.

"constantly". It happens "constantly. There's a reason why password utilities are so popular.

Also, you really, really don't understand how TouchID works. Here, a set of links. The last one is to a PDF put out by apple that goes into no small amount of detail on what's going on. (rich mogull, who I link to liberally here, is actually a real security researcher, and one of the better people in that business at explaining what's going on to people who aren't him):

http://tidbits.com/article/14089
https://securosis.com/blog/investigatin ... re-enclave
http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/ ... important/
http://images.apple.com/iphone/business ... _Feb14.pdf
http://tidbits.com/article/14557 (this is more of an overall background article on how Apple is doing security for the iPhone and iCloud)

But in any event, TouchID is not doing what you think it is doing.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
windy wrote:
I don't think Betasâ„¢ will have a need for that app.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Bullshit.
The U.S. Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey states that on average there are 237,868 victims (age 12 or older) of sexual assault and rape each year. By these calculations an American is sexually assaulted every two minutes.
Either there is an awful lot of rape – and sexual assault – happening in the States every year, or there is a rather large number of false accusations thereof.
or the range of things that are Sexual Assault is very large.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

One thing about watching Anita Sarkeesian's brainless drivel is it showcases some games I might want to play. :dance:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Kitties should be spanked. Or at least be made to sign a contract to behave. Fruity just sat under my chin and started bodyslamming me. I'm just glad that she only weighs 7lbs and not 800lbs.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

another lurker wrote:Kitties should be spanked. Or at least be made to sign a contract to behave. Fruity just sat under my chin and started bodyslamming me. I'm just glad that she only weighs 7lbs and not 800lbs.
*Spanks another lurker*

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

For Andrew, since he appears to be interested in this stuff:
http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/com ... -iraq.html

Nice link dump the other day. The one about inbreeding in the Arab world was interesting.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

John Greg wrote:Sarkeesian actual reminds me, visually and presentation-wise, a little bit of Joe McCarthy. Seriously. The aching mouth, the puckered forehead, the stand-out brows, and so on. A feminised McCarthy. Maybe Ape+Lust or Steen can do a criss-cross?
Tailgunner Sarkeesian? You're right, his face is right at home on her coconut.

http://imgur.com/jqx7J25.jpg

(It's got that colorized movie look because I could only find grainy B&W pics of McCarthy)

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

So I'm watching Sarkeesian's latest video, in which she actually draws on an academic work and listed five aspects of objectification, namely instrumentality, commodification, interchangeability, violability, and disposability.

Despite this attempt to dazzle with big words, Sarkeesian fundamentally fails to make a case that any of these happen to female characters exclusively or more than to male ones.

Instrumentality: In almost all games with combat, male characters are simply instruments of war and serve as the overwhelming majority of cannon fodder and footsoldiers.

Commodification: Linked to the above, soldiers are commodities to be bought (and sold), in some games as faceless abstract numbers until deployed.

Interchangeability: One mook is as good as the next. This one applies especially to male characters that serve as cannon fodder.

Violability: Men are targets of violence far more than women are in video games. In open-world games, the ability to hurt women does not make a case for misogyny; if women were singled out as invulnerable NPCs, there are feminists who would cry foul, too, as they would consider it putting women on a pedestal and assuming they need special protection.

Disposability: It is men who are the disposable sex, not women.

Epic phail, Sarkeesian.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Pitchguest wrote: There are so many other games and scenes from those games I can dissect to show just how ridiculous her claims about "violence to women in videogames" (she actually uses that phrase) is. If anyone is backing, let alone praising, this piece of huckster rubbish, they have no idea what they're talking about. We'll see when self-proclaimed "gamer" Lousy Canuck sees it and what he has to say. Presumably he will rationalize all the bullshit and defend it anyway. My prediction. The woman is a damsel, after all (all those people being mean to her!) and she is in distress. Someone has to fight for the honour of the poor lady.
And you know what he'll do? He'll go on to play all those games that she's attacking. Because it's just a point scoring exercise..doesn't actually mean a thing.

KenD

Post by KenD »

Did anyone notice the recent SJW kerfuffle in the world of feminist porn? It was enough to get me wasting my time on Twitter (and back here) after a productive few months avoiding drama.

It turns out some lesbian porn performers are so disgustingly transphobic that they won't suck cock even if it's attached to a transwoman. Their view of sex and gender is so warped by the cis-patriarchy that they falsely view the vagina as a female sexual organ and perceive the penis as something inherently male. These hateful lesbian bigots refuse to do their bit to shatter cis-hegemonic oppression by letting a pre-op transsexual fuck them in the arse with her dyke penis.

By shutting up and listening to trans-feminist activists like Chelsea Poe and Drew DeVeaux, I've learned that not wanting to fuck someone you aren't attracted to is a form of hate speech, and the person being denied sex is a victim of the oppressive sex-denier. Of course members of other sexually oppressed groups, like the fat community, have been quick to point out how they're being victimised too. As fat-feminist porn performer Kitty Stryker pointed out, workplace discrimination laws should prevent this injustice: Clearly unfair and illegal workplace discrimination is the only reason why a sex goddess like her hasn't become a big mainstream star. Now brace yourself for some more hate speech from Lily Cade:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Bullshit.
or the range of things that are Sexual Assault is very large.
True that it might be large, but not all that large:
Sexual assault is any involuntary sexual act in which a person is threatened, coerced, or forced to engage against their will, or any non-consensual sexual touching of a person. This includes rape (such as forced vaginal, anal or oral penetration or drug facilitated sexual assault), groping, forced kissing, child sexual abuse, or the torture of the victim in a sexual manner.
So, “sexual act” or “non-consensual sexual touching” seems to cover the spectrum.

And the ambiguity in the defintion seems entirely separate from the question I raised of whether or not the crimes were actually committed or whether the reports constitute false accusations – which seems to more or less exhaust the possibilities. Although I’ll concede that there’s some probability that in, probably, a relatively small percentage of the cases the accusations are false because of a misinterpretation of the definitions.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote: <snip>You can't have done tech support if you believe that.

"constantly". It happens "constantly. There's a reason why password utilities are so popular.
But as a percentage of the people with passwords?
welch wrote:Also, you really, really don't understand how TouchID works. Here, a set of links. ....
Thanks for the links – looks to be some interesting reading. But I’ll readily concede that I’m not at all familiar with the technology, particularly on the iPhone. However, my objective is merely or largely only to suggest possibilities or solutions – “where there’s a will (or an idea) there’s a way” – not to design the application from start to finish. But I might note and quote several relevant “Tidbits”:
Will I be able to log in to my bank with my fingerprint, instead of a password? -- Using your fingerprint to log in to Web sites and apps, like those from your bank, might happen eventually, but not right away. Apple must first open up API support for it, then developers need to integrate it into both their apps and the back-end authentication databases. Apple said that other apps can use the fingerprint reader, but that your stored fingerprint won’t be available to those apps.
Apple isn’t the first company to add a fingerprint reader to a phone. I’ve tested laptops with fingerprint readers and seen phones with embedded readers.
If Apple is going to provide the API and if other applications can use the reader then I would think it probable they could use the reader as a source of passwords, alone or in conjuction with standard and shorter ones. And if other phones have such readers then that would extend the range or market for the App. In addition, if such Apps are used already, as seems to be the case, for banking and purchases, I fail to see why the security issues that would presumably have been dealt with there couldn’t also be dealt with similarily in the App I’m suggesting.

dogen

Post by dogen »

acathode wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Anyone who watches her videos and knows the ins and outs of the games she's talking about knows she's talking utter shit. And still she is talking, monotonously, caked in make-up, trimmed eyebrows and hoop earrings, into the camera without a change of pace. She got nearly $160,000 for this, how about showing what that was worth?
That's the thing though, her target audience simply aren't those who "know the ins and outs of the games".

Sarkeesian's target audience is not gamers, it is the angry social justice feminists - and she is delivering exactly what they paid for: "Proof" of how sexists, misogynistic and outright horrible both games and gamers are.

That's why Sarkeesian doesn't give a shit about how dishonest she is, or that she outright lies. Her target audience can't spot those lies, nor do they really give a shit if it's honest or factually correct, it fits their ideology and dogmas, and that's good enough for them. The actual gamers who do spot her dishonesty and lies and get's upset only further serve her purpose - those people are proof of just how misogynistic gamers are to her target audience.
This is also one of the reasons why she simply never address criticism - her target audience do not want a discussion, they do not want nuance, and they do not want to hear any admission of weakness from their own side, ever. What her target audience wants are videos they can cram down their enemies throats while yelling "EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!" or "WATCH THIS IF YOU DON'T THINK GAMES ARE MISOGYNISTIC YOU FUCKFACE!!!".
One of the many good book recommendations by the 'Pit is On Bullshit (can't recall the author, but I'm sure someone else can). It lays out the case that bullshit can be far more corrosive and damaging than simple falsehood -- and I think Anita is a perfect case study of this fact.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ape+Lust at: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 42#p192142

HAHAHAHA. See? you can hardly tell them apart!

welch

Post by welch »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:So I'm watching Sarkeesian's latest video, in which she actually draws on an academic work and listed five aspects of objectification, namely instrumentality, commodification, interchangeability, violability, and disposability.

Despite this attempt to dazzle with big words, Sarkeesian fundamentally fails to make a case that any of these happen to female characters exclusively or more than to male ones.

Instrumentality: In almost all games with combat, male characters are simply instruments of war and serve as the overwhelming majority of cannon fodder and footsoldiers.

Commodification: Linked to the above, soldiers are commodities to be bought (and sold), in some games as faceless abstract numbers until deployed.

Interchangeability: One mook is as good as the next. This one applies especially to male characters that serve as cannon fodder.

Violability: Men are targets of violence far more than women are in video games. In open-world games, the ability to hurt women does not make a case for misogyny; if women were singled out as invulnerable NPCs, there are feminists who would cry foul, too, as they would consider it putting women on a pedestal and assuming they need special protection.

Epic phail, Sarkeesian.
The thing that pisses me off about her the most, (and there are parallels all over the place here), is that her idiocy is, of course, overshadowing some good points. For example, one of the reasons a lot of women want to see more women protagonists is so they can play as well, themselves or something close to it. I can see and agree with that. I play a lot of games where I have the option to play as a woman, but I don't. I don't have a reason beyond it's not something that interests me all that much.

If i'm playing metroid or tomb raider, then I don't have a choice, obviously, and those series are good enough that it doesn't bother me. But given my druthers, I play male characters. If I had to guess, I like to role play, and I'm most comfortable with the basics being like me, so I can concentrate on the other stuff.

I think, based on my wee sample size and unscientific methods, that a lot of women feel the same way. They want to play as women because they are one. They want to, just as many men do, project themselves into the game, and pretend it is them doing all that cool stuff. When you force them to add a layer of pretend over and over, it gets old.

But thanks to Sarkeesian's prominence, these, and other sober reasons for wanting an option for a female protagonist in a game, get overrun by endless twaddle from someone who thinks there's nothing to games but shooting people in the face.

Hu-ZZAH

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote: or the range of things that are Sexual Assault is very large.
True that it might be large, but not all that large:
Sexual assault is any involuntary sexual act in which a person is threatened, coerced, or forced to engage against their will, or any non-consensual sexual touching of a person. This includes rape (such as forced vaginal, anal or oral penetration or drug facilitated sexual assault), groping, forced kissing, child sexual abuse, or the torture of the victim in a sexual manner.
So, “sexual act” or “non-consensual sexual touching” seems to cover the spectrum.

And the ambiguity in the defintion seems entirely separate from the question I raised of whether or not the crimes were actually committed or whether the reports constitute false accusations – which seems to more or less exhaust the possibilities. Although I’ll concede that there’s some probability that in, probably, a relatively small percentage of the cases the accusations are false because of a misinterpretation of the definitions.
well, no, it's not. Because the definition, especially the legal version, is at the heart of things. For example, "forced kissing". Ponder how that can be applied in how many circumstances.

Right. a LOT.

What's groping? What turns simple assault in to sexual? Did you hit her in the shoulder or the tit? Same hit, but a few inches down and to one side, and now it's sexual assault.

You can't look at a REALLY broad category and then wonder how so many people can be accused/arrested for crimes in that category.

Well, you CAN, but it seems a bit silly, when your answer is right there in the definition.

The number of false accusation in that category are related to the overall number, (obviously), but no, given just how broad a category it is, I'm completely unsurprised at the high numbers for it.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

In other news, I like Edwina Rogers when it comes to secular issues. But this ...

[youtube]xXj-oQm-NbE[/youtube]

This is... wow. I can't even. :bjarte:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

KenD wrote:Did anyone notice the recent SJW kerfuffle in the world of feminist porn? It was enough to get me wasting my time on Twitter (and back here) after a productive few months avoiding drama.

It turns out some lesbian porn performers are so disgustingly transphobic that they won't suck cock even if it's attached to a transwoman. Their view of sex and gender is so warped by the cis-patriarchy that they falsely view the vagina as a female sexual organ and perceive the penis as something inherently male. These hateful lesbian bigots refuse to do their bit to shatter cis-hegemonic oppression by letting a pre-op transsexual fuck them in the arse with her dyke penis.

By shutting up and listening to trans-feminist activists like Chelsea Poe and Drew DeVeaux, I've learned that not wanting to fuck someone you aren't attracted to is a form of hate speech, and the person being denied sex is a victim of the oppressive sex-denier.
It is "hate speech" to sleep only with people who you are sexually attracted to? Then it really is true, I got raped (and hate spoken) during all those drunken one night stands with women who - when I was sober - looked like the offspring of Becky Whatnot and a hobo's shoe.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:
Steersman wrote: A bunch of it actually, but not anything having to do with forgotten passwords. Which I expect happens a lot. But I wonder what percentage that might be, and I note that most if not all sites have hints to reduce the problematic consequences.

But as a percentage of the people with passwords?
I thought about actually pulling stats I have access too, but one of the problems with lost/forgotten password issues is that it kind of keeps you from using the helpdesk/email/etc. But I cannot remember going a week without having to deal with a password issue. (note: *remember*. For the love of christ, allow for large variance there, it all blurs together after a while.) I will say with confidence that password/credential issues are in the top 3-4 problems I have dealt with for the last two decades.

The irony in this is that these are passwords the users create for themselves.
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:Also, you really, really don't understand how TouchID works. Here, a set of links. ....
Thanks for the links – looks to be some interesting reading. But I’ll readily concede that I’m not at all familiar with the technology, particularly on the iPhone. However, my objective is merely or largely only to suggest possibilities or solutions – “where there’s a will (or an idea) there’s a way” – not to design the application from start to finish. But I might note and quote several relevant “Tidbits”:
Will I be able to log in to my bank with my fingerprint, instead of a password? -- Using your fingerprint to log in to Web sites and apps, like those from your bank, might happen eventually, but not right away. Apple must first open up API support for it, then developers need to integrate it into both their apps and the back-end authentication databases. Apple said that other apps can use the fingerprint reader, but that your stored fingerprint won’t be available to those apps.
Apple isn’t the first company to add a fingerprint reader to a phone. I’ve tested laptops with fingerprint readers and seen phones with embedded readers.
If Apple is going to provide the API and if other applications can use the reader then I would think it probable they could use the reader as a source of passwords, alone or in conjuction with standard and shorter ones. And if other phones have such readers then that would extend the range or market for the App. In addition, if such Apps are used already, as seems to be the case, for banking and purchases, I fail to see why the security issues that would presumably have been dealt with there couldn’t also be dealt with similarily in the App I’m suggesting.
But the problem is, that fingerprint data, and the apps using touchid never get access to that data. They present a request, you touch the sensor, the app gets a pass/fail back from the OS. That's all. They don't know whose fingerprint it is. Just that they got a pass from TouchID.

that's a HUGE detail, because it's how they keep things secure. If the fingerprint data is actually passed to the app, then the security of the overall system drops like a rock.

In addition, my phone, (I've a 5S) doesn't actually "know" *whose* fingerprint data is in there. It could be mine, my wife's, my son's, some hobo, whatever. It only knows that there is fingerprint data, and if the correct finger or one of the correct fingers is used when requested. The closest the phone comes to "knowing" is on a restart, when you have to enter a passcode, touchID is disabled until you do. That prevents someone from stealing the phone and creating a fake finger from a fingerprint on the glass, starting the phone and getting into your data. (Not only possible, but has been done. Not easy, but definitely possible.)

For the purposes you want, that fingerprint data would have to be tied to a specific person in the secure enclave. That's not something you can really do right now, and I'm not sure it's a good idea. So *because of how it actually works*, TouchID is not going to work for your idea.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Richard Dworkins wrote:I find it odd that Sarkeesian, of all people, would take issue with women selling themselves since it seems she's plies a similar trade.
Not really, with most prostitutes you actually get what you pay for.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:

And the ambiguity in the defintion seems entirely separate from the question I raised of whether or not the crimes were actually committed or whether the reports constitute false accusations ....
well, no, it's not. Because the definition, especially the legal version, is at the heart of things. For example, "forced kissing". Ponder how that can be applied in how many circumstances.

Right. a LOT.

What's groping? What turns simple assault in to sexual? Did you hit her in the shoulder or the tit? Same hit, but a few inches down and to one side, and now it's sexual assault. ....
Well then those are false accusations, aren’t they? Which was largely my whole point: whole lot of “assaulting” going on – OR an awful lot of false accusations. Either of which would seem to provide some justification or opportunity for that App.

Although I seem to recollect that the incidence of sexual assault, including rape, is about one-tenth that of robbery.

real horrorshow

Richard Dworkins wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Incidentally, I've been working on some short stories, and most of the characters I've written so far are MEN. Some are even WHITE MEN.

If I were working in video games, I'd already have loud and angry feminist women and whipped feminist men lining up to accuse me of sexism.

Their lack of respect for artistic freedom is the #1 reason I despise Sarkeesians and their moral-panicking ilk. Fuck off, the lot of you. The feminist games you want to play ALREADY EXIST, you're just too fucking stupid to find them.
Yes but it's not so much that you are selecting men and white men, it's the fact you are one. After all if you tried to write characters who were women or ethnicities outside of your own, they would recoil in horror at the audacity blab on about being "tone deaf" Racefail etc etc. And since white men have had the privilege of literacy all the way back to the Ur-White Men of Sumer it's time to let other voices be heard, varied voices from different cultures as long as those minorities toe the ideological line and don't get uppity.

As for video games, despite what she might think any games that do come out targeting the younger female market are not going to be Grifter Sociologist: The Patriarch Wars. They will have to conform to cultural norms in order to be profitable. The Triple A companies rather than indies. No doubt some feminist collective will knock up some half-arsed interactive emotion experience about vaginas being robbed of their songs or some such predictable idiocy, but in the mainstream the victim-feminists will always have lots to complain about, since their increasingly weird and religious tendencies don't sell well.
Or, in simplified form: If straight white guys produce stuff about straight white guys, it's privilege and Patriarchy.
If straight white guys produce stuff about people who are not-straight, not-white or not-guys, it's cultural appropriation and Patriarchy.
As the man said: That's some catch that Catch-22.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Pitchguest wrote:In other news, I like Edwina Rogers when it comes to secular issues. But this ...

[.youtube]xXj-oQm-NbE[/youtube]

Pretty bad. But maybe they recycle them – give the wrapping paper to the poor afterwards. Or use it to light their cigars.

However, “Burning money is illegal in some jurisdictions.[1]”
Defacing paper currency is treated slightly differently than defacing coins. 18 U.S.C. § 333 contains similar language to 18 U.S.C. § 331 and states:

“Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.”

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

welch wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:So I'm watching Sarkeesian's latest video, in which she actually draws on an academic work and listed five aspects of objectification, namely instrumentality, commodification, interchangeability, violability, and disposability.

Epic phail, Sarkeesian.
The thing that pisses me off about her the most, (and there are parallels all over the place here), is that her idiocy is, of course, overshadowing some good points. For example, one of the reasons a lot of women want to see more women protagonists is so they can play as well, themselves or something close to it. I can see and agree with that. I play a lot of games where I have the option to play as a woman, but I don't. I don't have a reason beyond it's not something that interests me all that much.

If i'm playing metroid or tomb raider, then I don't have a choice, obviously, and those series are good enough that it doesn't bother me. But given my druthers, I play male characters. If I had to guess, I like to role play, and I'm most comfortable with the basics being like me, so I can concentrate on the other stuff.

I think, based on my wee sample size and unscientific methods, that a lot of women feel the same way. They want to play as women because they are one. They want to, just as many men do, project themselves into the game, and pretend it is them doing all that cool stuff. When you force them to add a layer of pretend over and over, it gets old.

But thanks to Sarkeesian's prominence, these, and other sober reasons for wanting an option for a female protagonist in a game, get overrun by endless twaddle from someone who thinks there's nothing to games but shooting people in the face.

Hu-ZZAH
Exactly. Instead of a legitimate reason to insert a woman into a game, or because the vision of the game developer is to have a woman in a game, due to the effect Sarkeesian and people like her has had on the medium, it's now almost a requirement to have a woman in a game. They become tokens. And if they're not done JUST right, naturally the developers will be crucified for it. It's ridiculous. In the beginning of the digital age when games was just starting to come into its own, did people care if the protagonist they played were male or female? It's a total stab in the dark but my guess would be, not a chance.

They didn't care. They just wanted a game that played well, did what it was supposed to do (entertain) and that was it. Then as it became more advanced, storylines were added and of course the storylines had to be topped to do better than the other. So we got games like Final Fantasy (the series), Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, etc, etc, etc. Many feminists who criticise the game industry don't know this, or they haven't bothered to find out, but many games on the NES, SNES, Genesis, and so on, did feature female characters and protagonists, and one of the most successful games on the SNES (Final Fantasy VI) had a female protagonist as THE main character. But as I said, did people really care about that stuff back then? No! What they cared about was, is it a good game? Does it have a good pace? Are the game mechanics sufficient? Does the story pull you in? Good! If not? Bad!

One of my favourite games on the SNES is a game called Lufia. It revolves around a female character (called Lufia) and it follows a story from the prequel (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, which ironically was released AFTER the original Lufia). Anyway, it's a really good game and to this day I can play it to completion without getting bored. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, same thing. I've played through the latter so many times, I still remember where all the secret jewels are. But did I play these games and judge their quality based on how many female characters they had in it, and how these female characters are portrayed? (Remember, not all women are strong and not all women are weak. In Lufia II, there's a meek and weak one you meet first and then later in the game someone more stronger and confident.) If games didn't have this kind of variety in characters, what would be the point in creating different characters in the first place?

No. No, I did not. And if you want to know how well the marketing goes for a game just because it has a woman protagonist in it, just look at Remember Me. Aesthetically pleasing, but it was such a boring game. Predictably formulaic, the fighting system was just not fluid enough (not like in the Arkham games), the story was bland and the voice acting was almost as if they called it in. Again, they marketed it as a would-be success just because it had a woman protagonist in it. Clearly, that is not everything that makes a game a game. Currently it stands at 65 total rating on Metacritic and that is combined with the enthusiastic user AND critic ratings who gave it a commanding 10, which it does not deserve. At all.

Another game that attempted this one-trick pony was the creator of Heavy Rain, David Cage, when he marketed Ellen Page as the protagonist for his new Heavy Rain-esque title, Beyond: Two Souls. That, too, did not go so well and it was panned by both critics and users alike. Now it stands at a mere 70 on Metacritic, an average rating, and it sold only 1 million copies.

I don't get it. Is this what gaming's come to? Stifled by prudes and political correctness? :snooty:

didymos

Post by didymos »

From the "power+prejudice" school of "thought":
Objectification is about dehumanization and removal of power. Women don’t have the power in this world to objectify men as men (sexually or otherwise). White women can objectify men of color as men of color. Straight women can objectify gay men as gay men. Rich women can objectify poor men as poor men. But women’s objectification of men doesn’t work without some other power imbalance that puts (a particular group of) women above (a particular group of) men.
Never mind that this bears absolutely no resemblance to how people's brains actually work.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

real horrorshow wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:I find it odd that Sarkeesian, of all people, would take issue with women selling themselves since it seems she's plies a similar trade.
Not really, with most prostitutes you actually get what you pay for.
Ooooooooh!

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ori ... -burny.gif

real horrorshow

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:As has been pointed out here countless times, if they want a feminine oriented game, make one. But they simply cannot enact the labor to do the hard stuff. Just bitch and whine until somebody else is forced to do it. Therein is one of the most crippling features of SJW; a complete lack of competence in any real-world working situation.

I'd have more respect for them if they could do anything more than whine and be oppressed in what is arguably the least oppressive time and society in history.
The important thing to remember is that (much despised) straight white men pretty much designed, built and maintain modern civilization. SJWs just shop in it.

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

Pitchguest wrote:In other news, I like Edwina Rogers when it comes to secular issues. But this ...

[youtube]xXj-oQm-NbE[/youtube]

Those look like one-dollar notes. Even taking into account that uncut sheets are more expensive than their face value, I'm pretty sure you can easily find more expensive wrapping paper out there.

If she pulls the same thing with Benjamins though, I'll be first to bring out the pitchforks.

Oh, and just to flaunt my Gallic privilege (enable captions for English subtitles):

[youtube]H_x9vMkiu4I[/youtube]