Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
KiwiInOz

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by KiwiInOz »

Don't take my responses as apologia - they are just my perspectives from across the pond.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
another lurker wrote: Goldman Sachs owns both parties.
Tru dat. GS was obama's #1 campaign contribution source, the single-largest source evah in a presidential campaign.
KiwiInOz wrote:
I am interested in why you feel this way about him. I've seen other similar comments (from other people).

He came in as a force to be reckoned with and met with an equal and opposite reaction. Imagine where America might be now if so much time and treasure hadn't been wasted in attacking and seeking to neuter one man.
Short answer: obama's a sociopath.

Slightly longer answer: obama has broken every campaign promise he ever made, starting with 'I will close Gitmo within my first 100 days.'
That was disappointing. But I recall that the response at the time was that no way were those mother fuckers ever going to be jailed on the mainland because they were a threat to motherhood and apple pie, and your prisons are too comfortable.
Longer answer:
obamacare was based on a plan by the conservative think tank, The Heritage foundation, and the law itself written by insurance lobbyists.
No way was he ever going to get a health care system like New Zealand or even Australia has, given that the citizenry continues to vote against its own interests, because it sounds commie. It seemed to be a compromise that integrates the American way with the American dream. Privatised profit ftw.
He's done nothing to improve the economy, and his admin regularly fudges unemployment figures. He has, however, introduced numerous trade bill that have shipped US jobs oversees.
Short of raising public confidence to buy stuff, what can the President actually do in this domain? Throw taxpayers dollars into employment schemes? Fucking commie. Throw taxpayers dollars into the military-industrial complex? Yeah, ok.
He regularly threatens to cut Social Security to help balance the budget, despite SS being self-funding.
So has he actually done this, or just talked tough to neutralise the GOP?
He demagogues about the gender wage gap, yet women on his staff make -- get this -- 77¢ for every dollar a man makes.
Don't you have equal pay laws? Take it to Court.
His environmental policy has been a tragedy. He let BP go with a slap on the wrist after the Gulf spill, opened up to drilling a pristine Arctic reserve that had remained untouched for over 90 years, and blocked implementation of EPA clean air regulations. His green energy program was a con, handing gov't grant money to sham energy companies set up by his biggest campaign bundlers. In Copenhagen and Rio, obama twice personally intervened to block the passage of a binding emissions agreement. At present, he is moving to green light the XL tar sands pipeline.
There is quite a lot to unpack here. I am an ecologist by training and work in sustainable natural resource management, climate adaptation, clean energy etc. So, yep, these things piss me off. But who writes these laws and regulations, who scrutinises them, and who passes them? Why was your Congress fighting over whether to pay your public servants rather than dealing with shit like this. Fucked up system.
The bank fraud commission, set up by obama and first run by fellow lying sack of shit, Elizabeth Warren, has to date prosecuted zero bankers for the multi-billion dollar mortgage frauds they perpetrated, instead accepting token settlement fines of pennies to the dollar.
Don't know anything about this, so won't comment.
Under obama, drone strikes have increased 6x compared to Bush, with civilian casualties up 10x. obama's drone strikes are violations of the Geneva and Hague conventions, and thus war crimes.
How many of your soldiers are still alive because drone strikes are used rather than putting the grunts in harms way? The war that Bush started didn't stop when Bush left. But yeah, I opposed the war when Bush signed off on the crusade, and I am still against it. Including this intervention against ISIS.
obama was supposed to transcend racism, yet he and his supporters, and especially Attorney General, Eric Holder, play the race card at every opportunity.
Politics is a bit like pit fighting. Queensbury rules don't apply; you use every advantage that you have.
obama is a shape-shifter, with a shady past and links to organized crime in Chicago and to the PLO.
David Bowie was also a shape shifter. But seriously, he's a politician. It's like blaming a shark for biting you.
For each of his successful campaigns, he has engaged in dirty dealing. obama rigged the 2008 primaries, and I believe committed vote fraud on a massive scale to win in 2012.
"I believe ...". Nuff said.
Under obama, several constitutional rights have been rescinded, including the right to free assembly, protection from warrentless search & seizure, the writ of habeas corpus, the rights to due process, speedy trial, and to face one's accusers. US citizens can now be held indefinitely simply based of suspicion. From a hit list, obama selects US citizens merely suspected of collaborating with terrorists, and orders their assassination.
This seems to be happening everywhere. Even here in Queensland (VLAD laws). And yeah. I'll join you on the barricades.
There's much more, but I hope you get the picture.
I do get the picture, and admire your idealism. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the political system didn't reinforce the bastardisation of democracy, and the continual re-election of politicians.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tru dat. GS was obama's #1 campaign contribution source, the single-largest source evah in a presidential campaign.

KiwiInOz wrote:
I am interested in why you feel this way about him. I've seen other similar comments (from other people).

He came in as a force to be reckoned with and met with an equal and opposite reaction. Imagine where America might be now if so much time and treasure hadn't been wasted in attacking and seeking to neuter one man.
Slightly longer answer

<snip>
Slightly longer answer: obama has broken every campaign promise he ever made, starting with 'I will close Gitmo within my first 100 days.'
It is not in Obama's power to close Gitmo. He did not reckon on the agreement that Mitch McConnell and the entire leadership of the Republican Party made to block Obama no matter what.

The only people who can close down Gitmo is Congress

So you score a swing and a miss for that.

And as for not keeping any campaign promises:

Bush in 2002 one year after 9/11
[youtube]4PGmnz5Ow-o[/youtube]

Obama:

[youtube]eGBkCIsAQUA[/youtube]

He's done nothing to improve the economy, and his admin regularly fudges unemployment figures. He has, however, introduced numerous trade bill that have shipped US jobs oversees.
In spite of everything that the Republicans have done to block any intitiative by the President - including watering down the original stimulus - the US has seen job growth for every single month of his presidency after his policies started to kick in:

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-cont ... g-2014.jpg

The fact of the matter is that if the Republicans had not voted in Congress and in the States they control to get rid of government employees wholesale - such useless wights as police, firefighters, teachers etc. - then the recovery would have been a lot faster.

If you want to take a look at a Republican utopia you need look no further than Kansas, whose Governor's name is nomen est omen "Brownback" because he has turned that state into a shithole and the idiots there reelected him.
He regularly threatens to cut Social Security to help balance the budget, despite SS being self-funding.
That is just a flat out lie.

Obama had offered to trim cost-of-living increases in Social Security and other benefit programs – known as chained CPI, in return for the Republicans being willing to cut out loopholes for the rich and getting rid of Big Oil subsidies.

He was not offering to CUT social security, just to slow down the INCREASE in Social Security benefits.

It outraged the Democrats - as it should - but Obama knew that even for the modest quid pro quo he was asking of the Republicans he would get not takers, and right enough the Republicans refused to come to the table.
He demagogues about the gender wage gap, yet women on his staff make -- get this -- 77¢ for every dollar a man makes.
Get this, Obama does not set the pay scale for government employees - Congress does.

If however all benefits exclusively accruing to women are included then their pay imbalance works out to be 96 cents for every dollar a man makes.

You might at some point in your life want to read the book by Elizabeth Warren, "he Two-Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Mothers and Fathers Are Going Broke"

A DINKY family now earns less than a SINKY family did in the 1970's.

Actually the progression for couples is:
YUPPIE - Young Upcoming Prosperous Professional
DINKY - Dual Income No Kids Yet
SITCOM - Single Income, Two Kids, Oppressive Mortgage
His environmental policy has been a tragedy. He let BP go with a slap on the wrist after the Gulf spill, opened up to drilling a pristine Arctic reserve that had remained untouched for over 90 years, and blocked implementation of EPA clean air regulations. His green energy program was a con, handing gov't grant money to sham energy companies set up by his biggest campaign bundlers. In Copenhagen and Rio, obama twice personally intervened to block the passage of a binding emissions agreement. At present, he is moving to green light the XL tar sands pipeline.
It would be nice if you quoted even one source for this litany of bullshit.

Just on the matter of the XL Pipeline it is the Obama Administration which has stopped it (and the inevitable pollution of the Ogallala Aquifer when such a pipeline would become the target for every national and international terrorist wanting to cripple the United States).
The bank fraud commission, set up by obama and first run by fellow lying sack of shit, Elizabeth Warren, has to date prosecuted zero bankers for the multi-billion dollar mortgage frauds they perpetrated, instead accepting token settlement fines of pennies to the dollar.
Elizabeth Warren was chair the five-member Congressional Oversight Panel created to oversee the implementation of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act. The Panel released monthly oversight reports that evaluate the government bailout and related programs. During Warren's tenure, these reports covered foreclosure mitigation, consumer and small business lending, commercial real estate, AIG, bank stress tests, the impact of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) on the financial markets, government guarantees, the automotive industry, and other topics.

In other words she oversaw WHAT THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION HAD PUT INTO PLACE AND WAS LAW BEFORE OBAMA CAME INTO OFFICE!

At least make some bloody effort to get your facts straight.
Under obama, drone strikes have increased 6x compared to Bush, with civilian casualties up 10x. obama's drone strikes are violations of the Geneva and Hague conventions, and thus war crimes.
The Bush Administration created terrorists all around the world and destroyed America's image of an honest broker. After the Bush Administration decimated the US Army (Stop-Loss and accepting 4F recruits as indicative of that decimation) Obama has used a cost effective way to curtail the activities of those who would see violence against soft non military targets as a way to expand political power.
obama was supposed to transcend racism, yet he and his supporters, and especially Attorney General, Eric Holder, play the race card at every opportunity.
Which "race card" would that be exactly?

Can you name any specifics - of course you can't.
obama is a shape-shifter, with a shady past and links to organized crime in Chicago and to the PLO.
Any credible evidence for that?

Why the fuck do I ask, because if you had you would post links to it.

You are totally pulling that one out of your ass.
For each of his successful campaigns, he has engaged in dirty dealing. obama rigged the 2008 primaries, and I believe committed vote fraud on a massive scale to win in 2012.
He did not "rig" the primaries, but rather, won the delegates he needed in States where he lost and he won States that he needed.

He outsmarted Hillary plain and simple.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that a black nobody could rig a primary against the Clinton machine and get away with it?

Obama won it because Hillary thought she had it sown up and it was all over bar the coronation (just as Martha Coakley did in Massachusetts in 2010 and got her ass handed to her by Scott Brown - who has since gone on to lose two elections to two different women in two different States including Massachusetts, which shows how pathetic she was) and relied on name instead of hard work.
Under obama, several constitutional rights have been rescinded, including the right to free assembly, protection from warrentless search & seizure, the writ of habeas corpus, the rights to due process, speedy trial, and to face one's accusers. US citizens can now be held indefinitely simply based of suspicion. From a hit list, obama selects US citizens merely suspected of collaborating with terrorists, and orders their assassination.
Can you name ANY instance of what you say?

As for killing Anwar al-Awlaki, fuck him. I would have pulled the trigger on that cunt myself.
You've supplied nothing so more of the same will not amount to anything beyond zero.

I am getting a picture of someone who might want to do more than just watch Faux News.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Wait, are you seriously blaming Bush Jr. for Obama's double-tap drone strikes? Are you really arguing that Bush Jr. is forcing Obama to drone strike ambulances and first responders because "Dubya just created so many damn terrorists, and droning innocent people is the only way to stop them!"

I think you broke my brain.

And wait, are you supporting a military buildup, or against it? Because if you claim Bush destroyed the US Army or whatever, then I'm guessing you favor more recruitment and buildup. Whereas I think a lot of liberals would rather we brought all our shit back here to the US and trust to the TSA, NSA and a huge fucking pile of water to keep out the terrorists.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

James Caruthers wrote:Wait, are you seriously blaming Bush Jr. for Obama's double-tap drone strikes? Are you really arguing that Bush Jr. is forcing Obama to drone strike ambulances and first responders because "Dubya just created so many damn terrorists, and droning innocent people is the only way to stop them!"

And wait, are you supporting a military buildup, or against it? Because if you claim Bush destroyed the US Army or whatever, then I'm guessing you favor more recruitment and buildup. Whereas I think a lot of liberals would rather we brought all our shit back here to the US and trust to the TSA, NSA and a huge fucking pile of water to keep out the terrorists.
Who or what are you referring to?

James Caruthers

Sorry, that was meant for Nec, not you.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Alex has a post up explaining why he has disowned his unsupportive mother. It culminates with:

Alex
‘Sorry’ is all you have to say. Don’t bother responding (or talking to me again) till you can, and don’t even think of calling yourself an ally. Your behaviour frankly disgusts me.

Dear old mum
Alex… for God’s sake grow up and stop spouting such utter crap.

Bless him.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

James Caruthers wrote:Wait, are you seriously blaming Bush Jr. for Obama's double-tap drone strikes? Are you really arguing that Bush Jr. is forcing Obama to drone strike ambulances and first responders because "Dubya just created so many damn terrorists, and droning innocent people is the only way to stop them!"

I take it you are basing your arguments on the following:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... s-pakistan

The fact of the matter is that there are no good guys left.

Thanks to Bush that whole region has descended into various shades of black with regard to the combatants.

Much of what is cited occurred under the Bush Administration and under the Obama Administration the troubling incidents have continued.

The truth of the matter is that the US public can no longer stomach the dead American troops bodies that were landing at Dover Air Force Base for a war (or wars) which never could and never can be won.

Before Bush decided to go into Afghanistan that country was known as, "The place where empires go to die", since the days of Genghis Khan, who came, saw and got spanked there.

Bush fucked up the chance to get Bin Laden before going into Afghanistan and he fucked up at Tora Bora, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Personally I think that gays should have been allowed to serve openly in the US military a long time ago, because, let's face it, they at least know when to pull out of a shithole, and if the US military did not want gays serving why do they call their areas of conflict theatres?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh the unsupportive-ness stems from old fashion concepts about homosexuality. He helpfully lists a page worth including such gems as:

introducing the concept of sex as something a man and woman did to reproduce.
using the word ‘homosexual’ to refer to queer people.
using it to refer to all queer people, including bisexuals (like me).
pronouncing it as disgustedly as possible, so the first half rhymes with ‘promo’. (You might not think you sound disgusted. You do to me.)

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

James Caruthers wrote:Sorry, that was meant for Nec, not you.
I thought you were ignoring me? :lol:

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Brive1987 wrote:Alex has a post up explaining why he has disowned his unsupportive mother. It culminates with:
Alex
‘Sorry’ is all you have to say. Don’t bother responding (or talking to me again) till you can, and don’t even think of calling yourself an ally. Your behaviour frankly disgusts me.

Dear old mum
Alex… for God’s sake grow up and stop spouting such utter crap.
Bless him.
You mean the illegitimate child of Ronald McDonald?

Remember women. You may think it is all fun & games at the time.

http://i.imgur.com/d9nWC1L.jpg

But it just might result in a very unhappy jaded kid.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

That would be this horrible woman he described last Xmas

http://i.imgur.com/gI4JYTW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ou49Oto.jpg

James Caruthers

Nec_V20 wrote: Personally I think that gays should have been allowed to serve openly in the US military a long time ago, because, let's face it, they at least know when to pull out of a shithole, and if the US military did not want gays serving why do they call their areas of conflict theatres?
My jimmies don't rustle easily, but I think that did it. :dance:

But you didn't really answer my question about whether or not you seriously believe Bush was to blame for Obama using drone strikes against people who were very likely totes innocent.

You (along with others) seem to take the view that Obama does what Obama does because those evil republicans give him no choice but to do the most asshole thing ever and fuck over the people who elected him. I tend to take the view that Obama does what Obama does because that's what Obama wanted all along. He's not shy about using a veto or outright breaking the laws (and then later amending them to make his illegal actions legal when they're discovered) when he's fighting for something important to him. My suspicion is he's not nearly as liberal as his campaigns suggested, and I think history has proven me correct.

And at the same time, I think he's too liberal on SJW issues. Far too willing to go to bad for insane SJWs, but very conservative/police statist/empire-builder when it comes to matters of how to effectively govern a nation.
Nec_V20 wrote:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2uw0 ... o8_500.jpg

I don't have anyone on ignore. :lol:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Aneris wrote:I have a question on the shirtstorm incident: Generally, in North-Western Europe it is very difficult to get into trouble with HR over fashion. Of course various jobs require certain attire, but you must be an extreme dolt to get into trouble after — say — week two. You got it by then. I am not aware that “being offended” or even “harassed” by someones fashion choice, however dubious, is a thing in N-W Europe.

However, it becomes clear that while the USA seems to have “less government” (in civil matters) and gives more freedoms (that's the impression given), it seems that all the free space can then also be used by corporate micromanagers to control their employees — even perhaps demand that employees hand over blood and urine samples to the corporate overlord where this isn't necessary at all.

The US law system where precedents and ruinious legal fees demand an extreme legalese culture seem to play a role, too. Like informing that hot coffee is actually hot and that when you climb to the end of the ladder that you might fall over and might hurt you rather badly in the process. That kind of culture must also set up custom rules regulating the geometry on the pattern of the t-shirt fabric just to make sure some other employee doesn't sue for twentythree million dollars because they had to see something horrible and the employer did nothing to protect them.

I know that this is part stereotype, but the shirt incident suggests once more that there is a kind of overreach that doesn't exist in that fashion in north-western Europe — hence back to question: how much of the stereotype is true?
I think the stereotype is a little off. In most of the country things like shirtgate just are not important. For example where I live no one cares. I have not see any mention of it in an local media, even my most leftist SJW type friends have not commented on it. It simply isn't an issue.

The U.S. legal system really isn't as bad as it appears sometimes when it comes to civil matters. You bring up hot coffee being hot. There is a very good documentary which that meme is the central case. Once you see the whole picture and not just the late night show jokes it makes a lot of sense.

As for things like drug testing, most jobs don't require it past a pre employment screen. It's an open market place and you don't have to work at a company if you disagree with that.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

James Caruthers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote: Personally I think that gays should have been allowed to serve openly in the US military a long time ago, because, let's face it, they at least know when to pull out of a shithole, and if the US military did not want gays serving why do they call their areas of conflict theatres?

But you didn't really answer my question about whether or not you seriously believe Bush was to blame for Obama using drone strikes against people who were very likely totes innocent.

You (along with others) seem to take the view that Obama does what Obama does because those evil republicans give him no choice but to do the most asshole thing ever and fuck over the people who elected him. I tend to take the view that Obama does what Obama does because that's what Obama wanted all along. He's not shy about using a veto or outright breaking the laws (and then later amending them to make his illegal actions legal when they're discovered) when he's fighting for something important to him. My suspicion is he's not nearly as liberal as his campaigns suggested, and I think history has proven me correct.

And at the same time, I think he's too liberal on SJW issues. Far too willing to go to bad for insane SJWs, but very conservative/police statist/empire-builder when it comes to matters of how to effectively govern a nation.
Nec_V20 wrote:

Obama has to try to make the best of that bad hand that was dealt him my the Bush Administration both domestic and foreign.

I am not going to condone it, but in comparison to Bush turning Iraq into a radioactive wasteland with the liberal use of Depleted Uranium I think the criticisms of Obama are somewhat overblown.

I don't now and have never supported either war (Afghanistan or Iraq) and personally I think Obama should just walk away from it.

I just wish the media had been so zealous in its duty whilst the Bush administration was in office. Before Obama took office the Afghanistan war was known as "Forgottenstan" in the US forces serving there.

I am not going to defend a war I never supported; however the hypocrisy of the crocodile tears and concern trolling going on in the media now - approx. 13 year too late - is absolutely disgusting.
He's not shy about using a veto or outright breaking the laws (and then later amending them to make his illegal actions legal when they're discovered) when he's fighting for something important to him.
As far as vetoes are concerned Obama has used as many as George Washington (a total of two) and he has used zero cowardly "pocket vetoes".

Contrast this with Dubya who used eleven vetoes and one pocket veto for a total of twelve.

And would you like to give me one instance of Obama "outright breaking the law and then amending them"? Just one specific incidence to go with those MULTITUDES of vetoes on his part which have never happened.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

I think it's clear Matt Cavanaugh has never forgiven Obama for his mom jeans.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

bovarchist wrote:I think it's clear Matt Cavanaugh has never forgiven Obama for his mom jeans.
Nah, it's the fact that he is a terrorist.

http://blogdailyherald.com/wp-content/u ... t-bump.jpg

Obama is kinda boring. Give me a good serial rapist like Bill Clinton and then we will talk.

James Caruthers

Nec_V20 wrote:
And would you like to give me one instance of Obama "outright breaking the law and then amending them"? Just one specific incidence to go with those MULTITUDES of vetoes on his part which have never happened.
Sure.

-Prosecution of whistleblowers despite promises to the contrary (freedom of the press should extend here)
-Illegal wiretapping
-Illegal datamining and data collection done in secret, later amended to be legal by the principle of "fuck you, you can't do anything to us"
-illegal datamining made "legal" on the principle legislators don't know it exists and aren't tech-savvy enough to understand how it is done
-Throwing people into Gitmo without putting them through any kind of court system
-violating the law against search and seizure via various methods such as "in plain view," "too close to a border" or just "fuck you, you didn't record the cop breaking the law so it doesn't count"

Oh sure, some of this shit isn't legal in the sense that a court of law would come out and say it's 100% legal. But it's legal in the sense that you'll never be able to effectively fight against it in a court of law.

Now yes, you're going to say Bush started this shit, as per

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warran ... 80%9307%29

But notice that even here, they note that Obama is basically continuing to do exactly what Bush is doing. Yes, he SAYS he's complying with new laws (laws that make this surveillance legal btw) but acknowledges over-collection. Well gee, it's almost like he's a lying shit just like Bush, who is continuing to break even his own goddamn laws.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/us/16nsa.html?_r=0
After a contentious three-year debate that was set off by the disclosure in 2005 of the program of wiretapping without warrants that President George W. Bush approved after the Sept. 11 attacks, Congress gave the N.S.A. broad new authority to collect, without court-approved warrants, vast streams of international phone and e-mail traffic as it passed through American telecommunications gateways. The targets of the eavesdropping had to be “reasonably believed” to be outside the United States. Under the new legislation, however, the N.S.A. still needed court approval to monitor the purely domestic communications of Americans who came under suspicion.

In recent weeks, the eavesdropping agency notified members of the Congressional intelligence committees that it had encountered operational and legal problems in complying with the new wiretapping law, Congressional officials said.

Officials would not discuss details of the overcollection problem because it involves classified intelligence-gathering techniques. But the issue appears focused in part on technical problems in the N.S.A.’s ability at times to distinguish between communications inside the United States and those overseas as it uses its access to American telecommunications companies’ fiber-optic lines and its own spy satellites to intercept millions of calls and e-mail messages.
It's also clear that where established laws have not yet been written, Obama is more than happy to allow the NSA or whoever else to gather as much data as they possibly can. They'll go to private companies and "ask" for these companies to release private information, which of course, the companies will.
The American Civil Liberties Union said in a statement that "without more information about what the secret FISA court has authorized, there is no way to determine whether the NSA's current activities are lawful."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protect_Am ... ct_of_2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FISA_Amend ... ct_of_2008
The provisions of the Act granting immunity to the complicit telecoms create a roadblock for a number of lawsuits intended to expose and thwart the alleged abuses of power and illegal activities of the federal government since and before the September 11 attacks.[citation needed]
Allows the government to conduct surveillance of "a U.S. person located outside of the U.S. with probable cause they are an agent of a foreign power" for up to one week (168 hours) without a warrant, increased from the previous 48 hours, as long as the FISA court is notified at the time such surveillance begins, and an application as usually required for surveillance authorization is submitted by the government to FISA within those 168 hours[22]
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit challenging the FISA Amendments Act of 2008 on the day it was enacted. The case was filed on behalf of a broad coalition of attorneys and human rights, labor, legal, and media organizations whose ability to perform their work—which relies on confidential communications—could be compromised by the new law.[24] The complaint, captioned Amnesty et al. v McConnell and filed in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, argued that the eavesdropping law violated people's rights to free speech and privacy under the First and Fourth Amendments to the Constitution.[25] The case was dismissed from the district court on the grounds that the plaintiffs could not prove their claims, but was revived in March 2011 by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, which disagreed.[26] The subsequent citation was Amnesty v. Blair. On February 26, 2013, the U.S. Supreme Court dismissed the lawsuit, deciding that the plaintiffs did not have standing to sue.[27]
This is a program that was started in secret under Bush. BUT. It was later revealed to the world. And when it was revealed, what they did was remove a few of the most egregious police state elements, but otherwise legalize the program despite its flagrant violations of the Right to Privacy as well as numerous other rights. Now, what has Obama done with this program? Has he dismantled it? Pfft, of course not. He has aggressively worked to expand this surveillance in many ways. We may not learn about all of them for another fifty years.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ns/382114/
Wyden suspects that the White House and intelligence community "agreed to halt the phone records collection program, in the wake of intense criticism, only because the spy agency has other tricks to get the same data."

Is he correct? The fact that one of the most interested members of the Senate Intelligence Committee doesn't know is a glaring problem. On the whole, American legislators have only the vaguest idea what the NSA does under Executive Order 12333, and this ignorance is a direct impediment to sound policymaking.

It makes adequate oversight impossible, so the conceit that the NSA is subject to "strict oversight" is absurd
That entire article is excellent.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2014/11/02/ ... day-court/
In his case, Klayman argues that the NSA program violates constitutional protections of free association, privacy and fair legal process. He claims that the metadata collected by the program can be very revealing and there is no proof that such snooping is effective in stopping terrorist attacks. He notes that if the NSA’s program were working, it would have tipped off law enforcement to the recent shootings in Ottawa, Canada.

However, the government, in its court filings, defends the program, saying that the phone record collection program “at most, minimally intrudes on constitutional privacy rights and serves the paramount government interest of combating terrorism.” The Justice Department also added that “carefully crafted safeguards,” including oversight from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, protect privacy.
So the government flat-out says "fuck your constitutional rights, bitch, because we are only infringing them a little bit, and btw terrorism so shut up." Article written in 2014.

America's disgusting record on Snowden (you can't pretend Obama couldn't have done something about that) is also worth reading about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

A true patriot steps forward to protect the freedoms and rights of his countrymen and is sent running to the former soviets of all people :lol: That's a pretty damn good metaphor for what the US has become.

Sorry for the hugely long post everybody. I think I went steersmode for a minute there. Gonna stop before I start talking about "my niggas."

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

James Caruthers wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

A true patriot steps forward to protect the freedoms and rights of his countrymen and is sent running to the former soviets of all people :lol: That's a pretty damn good metaphor for what the US has become.

Sorry for the hugely long post everybody. I think I went steersmode for a minute there. Gonna stop before I start talking about "my niggas."

Who are you talking to?

Any way you had me on board right up to the Snowden stuff. While I am happy that he put out some information that we had a right to know, but the dude is hardly a patriot. Instead of quietly disclosing the illegal activities the NSA was(are) up to, he decide to do a huge data dump.He damaged our ability to collect data and caused a lot of undue hate toward America. He had(has) and ax to grind and wanted to be famous.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Pretty decent documentary about the Duke Lacrosse case. Not the best video quality but interest and has some good historical information.

http://vimeo.com/111360899

Barael

Post by Barael »

On the PS4/Xbox One question, one thing that didn't seem to come up is the subscription models (PS+ vs Xbox Live Gold). Unlike Xbox Live, which is basically just there to gouge your wallet to enable internet multiplayer and features like Netflix, PS+ is all that and kinda like Netflix for games. They roll out a couple new games every month; you download them for free and then play them as long as your subscription is active (which btw is about $5 a month). It's more limited (than Netflix, not Live) in that you can't access games that were up for download before your subscription began, though. As for the caliber of games they put out, they range from well-received indie games (like the Binding of Isaac which is up currently) to major titles like Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Uncharted 3 for the PS3 only a few months after their retail release.

The best value for gaming right now would probably still be a PS3 since it tends to get much "bigger" PS+ titles (PS4 just hasn't been out long enough so it mostly gets indie games). For ~$200 for the console + $5/month sub you get ~10 games a year that cost $60 individually 6 months ago.

Also I can't believe how badly they messed up Warlords of Draenor launch. I haven't been able to muster much motivation at all to start playing it in the first place and on EU Silvermoon we had 3000+ queues all weekend. That's not 2 fucking hours of queue btw, that's 6-8 hours. Not particularly happy that I doled out the 45e just the day before launch right now. Would've been much better spent on the Matt Taylor Indiegogo but I put some in there, as well.

rekt

Post by rekt »

Xbox Live also gives away free games every month. They've given away Battlefield Bad Company 2 and one of the Halo games just in the last couple months (as well as others)

James Caruthers

comhcinc wrote:

Who are you talking to?
I quoted the person I was talking to... :doh:

This is a meme now, isn't it.

Causing hate towards America is an effect of revealing how shitty the US government is. I don't think it was Snowden's goal.

I mean, any whistleblower revealing secret documents is going to make the US government look bad because they're exposing the illegal activities of the government.

Upton Sinclair made the meat-packing industry look bad too.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

James Caruthers wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Who are you talking to?
I quoted the person I was talking to... :doh:

This is a meme now, isn't it.

Causing hate towards America is an effect of revealing how shitty the US government is. I don't think it was Snowden's goal.

I mean, any whistleblower revealing secret documents is going to make the US government look bad because they're exposing the illegal activities of the government.

I have zero issue with exposing illegal activities. My issue is that in his zeal to do that he also exposed many legal activities as well. Spy on foreign governments is not only legal it's all good statecraft.
I mean come on, keep tabs on what the Germans are doing just makes sense. They have been cause trouble since Roman times. :dance:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

James Caruthers wrote:
Sorry forgot this

http://i.imgur.com/7oeiUw5.png

I stand with Teddy.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I don't recall this happening in public.

My guess is Meyers told this nasty little shit a few home truths via email, which would fit with the fact that NoR's posts were recently held in pre-mod limbo.

Can you imagine the shame one would feel, being a "scientist with 40+ years' experience", and getting scolded by PZ "I buy my experimental animals from a pet store" fucking Meyers about posting ignorant bullshit on the internet?

Just to reiterate: PZ Meyers is a well-known hentai tentacle rape enthusiast. Also MERMAIDS, but let's not forget the well-known hentai tentacle rape enthusiast thing.
I'm too lazy to find the links myself, but maybe someone can add links to their mentions of PZ's hypocritical utterings (and save them in a text file maybe), and use the coded phrases whenever they mention it. That way, people discovering it on places like google, and who are curious about where such claims come from, can click and see for themselves that PZ did indeed say/write those very things. It won't be mistaken for a creative insult, but the strange truth that it actually is. To redo what you wrote above, it would be something like...

Code: Select all

Just to reiterate: PZ Meyers is a well-known [b][url=http://]hentai tentacle rape enthusiast[/url][/b]. Also [b][url=http://]MERMAIDS[/url][/b], but let's not forget the [b]well-known hentai tentacle rape enthusiast[/b] thing.
Links could go to the freezepages or youtubes etc. Other ones might be the video where PZ talks sex poker with a woman picked from the audience, or his various accusations of rape towards others, etc. A set of links, in forum code, would be handy. I would call such a list PZ's Rap Sheet.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Turns out it shouldn't be Sea Lions. It should be seals.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141117 ... h-penguins

The videos on the page are awesome.

Still better than otters.

Fuck otters.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Spy on foreign governments is not only legal it's all good statecraft.
Is it legal and good statecraft even when foreign governments are spying on the United States? Because if that's the case Anna Chapman is simply a good Russian citizen doing her job, and she shouldn't have been arrested and deported.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Spy on foreign governments is not only legal it's all good statecraft.
Is it legal and good statecraft even when foreign governments are spying on the United States? Because if that's the case Anna Chapman is simply a good Russian citizen doing her job, and she shouldn't have been arrested and deported.

Don't get all pedantic on me. It is legal and good statecraft for Russia to operate spying operations on the US. Anna Chapman was in fact a good Russian citizen doing her job. I have no ill will toward her or Russia.

Just as good statecraft involves gathering information on foreign nations it is also good statecraft to protect yourself from those activities. Getting back to my original point, Snowden exposed us and possible made it harder to not only keep tabs on people (like those shifty germans) but also to keep tabs on the people keeping tabs on us.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Getting back to my original point, Snowden exposed us and possible made it harder to not only keep tabs on people (like those shifty germans) but also to keep tabs on the people keeping tabs on us.
But maybe that was actually his intent. If he sees the US spy network as too powerful he might have undermined it to give more chances to others to defend themselves.

I'm not saying that Snowden is an American patriot. But maybe he is genuinely motivated by ideological reasons and not simply looking for fame.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

There's a headline you don't see every day.

http://i.imgur.com/5Onfjfb.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Getting back to my original point, Snowden exposed us and possible made it harder to not only keep tabs on people (like those shifty germans) but also to keep tabs on the people keeping tabs on us.
But maybe that was actually his intent. If he sees the US spy network as too powerful he might have undermined it to give more chances to others to defend themselves.

I'm not saying that Snowden is an American patriot. But maybe he is genuinely motivated by ideological reasons and not simply looking for fame.
Maybe he is genuinely motivated by ideological reasons I don't know about that be even if that true he is still a fame whore. Also while you are not saying he is an American patriot my response was to someone did say that
James Caruthers wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

My point was that if he was only concerned with the rights of the American people being infringed he would not have done that massive info dump.

With all that said I hope he is arrest and given life in prison (with the ability to parole). If he would have only deluvged the illegal stuff I would also be calling him a hero.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:There's a headline you don't see every day.

http://i.imgur.com/5Onfjfb.jpg

No doubt, a rich white guy riding teh subway? I bet he has his legs spread and was talking up a lot of space.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Biohazard wrote:Some random poll on the most influential atheists.

See: http://www.12uh.com/improbulos/polls/88-2/

PZ is currently one vote (4 to 3) behind Thunderf00t. :dance:

I couldn't vote, but I could see the results:

Christopher Hitchens (74%, 25 Votes)
Richard Dawkins (65%, 22 Votes)
Aron Ra (YouTube Icon) (56%, 19 Votes)
Sam Harris (53%, 18 Votes)
Matt Dillahunty (47%, 16 Votes)
Lawrence Krauss (44%, 15 Votes)
Stephen Hawking (41%, 14 Votes)
James Randi (38%, 13 Votes)
Seth Andrews (The Thinking Atheist) (35%, 12 Votes)
Ricky Gervais (35%, 12 Votes)
Bill Maher (32%, 11 Votes)
Hemant Mehta (The Friendly Atheist) (29%, 10 Votes)
Thunderf00t (YouTube Icon) (29%, 10 Votes)
Daniel Dennett (29%, 10 Votes)
Michael Shermer (24%, 8 Votes)
Penn Jillette (18%, 6 Votes)
David Silverman (American Atheists) (18%, 6 Votes)
Dan Barker (15%, 5 Votes)
Richard Carrier (15%, 5 Votes)
Bart Ehrman (12%, 4 Votes)
Steven Pinker (12%, 4 Votes)
Barbara Forrest (9%, 3 Votes)
Philip Pullman (9%, 3 Votes)
PZ Myers (9%, 3 Votes)
Victor Stenger (6%, 2 Votes)
Peter Singer (6%, 2 Votes)
Susan Blackmore (3%, 1 Votes)
Jennifer Hecht (3%, 1 Votes)
Kai Nielsen (3%, 1 Votes)

Seeing as Thunderfoot is tied with Dennett, maybe we need a new horseman... lol

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

No doubt, a rich white guy riding teh subway? I bet he has his legs spread and was talking up a lot of space.
And then he aggressively took up the pugilistic stance...

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

James Caruthers wrote:
Guest wrote: Well he was pretty awful, and celebrated for ahistorical reasons.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day

Regardless of crazy SJW overreactions.
Tentacle Enthusiast PZ Myers Guest detected.

That said, I do somewhat agree. The problem I have is that the SJWs who protest against Columbus Day also protest against Veteran's Day, President's Day, etc etc anything that honors any accomplishment by a person who happened to have been born white or who liked America. They try to rename everything fucking Martin Luther King Jr. Street or day or whatever, Black History Month, Women's History Month, Rosa Parks National Parks, Rape Culture Month, Slut-Shaming Awareness Hour, 5 Minutes of White Hate Day, etc.
Knowing a lot more than the completely white-washed American version of Columbus, I don't celebrate that Federal holiday. However, that's the only Federal holiday I don't celebrate.

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:They try to rename everything fucking Martin Luther King Jr. Street or day or whatever
East 14th Street in Oakland, CA had a justly-earned reputation for being slummy, crime-ridden, and the wrong street to drive down late on a Saturday night. So the city renamed it "International Avenue." To erase the stigma attached of "East 14th Street." Serious.
A very popular and busy street in my area was renamed for MLK jr.

It's not like the street was previously named Grand Dragon Avenue, it was just a number.

It was done pretty much out of the blue as an offering to appease the liberal gods. But most people who drive the road use the numerical name because it was a fucking number and a busy street. The number was one important way of identifying where the fuck it was located in the greater scheme of the city. IN FACT, the street signs for that street still list the number after MLK Jr's name. :roll:

So why change the name at all? :?

We also have one named for Chavez and one for Rosa Parks. In one case, I think they did replace a president's name with that of one of these SJW pock heroes. Wouldn't be surprised if Mao, Stalin and Marx get their streets before long.

The irony is the entire city is extremely segregated by race. As far as I can tell, this is mostly been by choice. The city conforms very well to certain shitlord stereotypes of what happens when you get a bunch of proud POC minorities in certain low-income areas. Somehow, I doubt pointing out to the gang banger that he has been institutionally oppressed would do much to keep me from getting capped. Although I befriended one asian former gang member in a college class on the basis of martial arts passion, so who knows?

Thanks to all this SJW renaming (they've been renaming monuments too), I'm checking my privilege every time I go outside! :dance:
Down there they mad esomething similar: they rename an important avenue that was named after the first military dictator after the 1964 coup (Castello Branco) to something stupid sounding: "Freedom and Democracy Avenue" ('im not shitting you, that's the direct translation, and believe me, it sounds ridiculous in Portuguese too). And then, only after the idiots changed the name, they noticed that the full "Freedom and Democracy Avenue" name wouldn't fit on the signs. So they had to ammend the law that changed the avenue's name to allow its new name to be abbreviated on the signs. Fantastic. Had they thought of consulting with the transit authority before going SJW and "promoting" democracy (the same democracy they violated when creating Che Guevara Street, mind you), they could have saved a couple of bucks that could be used, I don't know, anywhere else where it could have been useful for the public interest.

Politicians are the same everywhere.

pajh

Post by pajh »

So we know a man can't wear a shirt with cartoon ladies - but what about plain grey?

Nah - sexist too!
http://linkis.com/thecut.io/Rq7mC

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

James Caruthers wrote:

Nec_V20 wrote:

He was never 'liberal.' He was a black, Chicago-Machine-Politics Democrat and, at best, a moderate with some strong authoritarian tendencies. In days gone by, or he was white, he'd have been a moderate Republican.

Now, his speeches were 'dog-whistle' liberal. But I tended to look at his actions and they were not particularly liberal at any level.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

John D

Post by John D »

James Caruthers wrote:http://www.blackmailersdontshoot.com/wp ... ke-sjw.jpg

"Imagine white people are M&M's, and 90% of them are poison..."
This is why I never claim to be a good white person. I really don't want someone to spit in my face.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

blitzem wrote:Whiskey.
Tango.
Foxtrot.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30077720
While reading that I was going "should I say that it sounds like something out of a horror story? nah, would be in bad taste". And then I got to the final two sentences:
BBC News wrote:In 2012 a Briton was arrested in Bangkok for possession of six foetuses wrapped in gold leaf. Police had been tipped off that the foetuses were being sold through a website advertising black magic.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

TedDahlberg wrote:
blitzem wrote:Whiskey.
Tango.
Foxtrot.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30077720
While reading that I was going "should I say that it sounds like something out of a horror story? nah, would be in bad taste". And then I got to the final two sentences:
BBC News wrote:In 2012 a Briton was arrested in Bangkok for possession of six foetuses wrapped in gold leaf. Police had been tipped off that the foetuses were being sold through a website advertising black magic.
An atheist's gotta eat.
Bad taste?
meh

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

pajh wrote:So we know a man can't wear a shirt with cartoon ladies - but what about plain grey?

Nah - sexist too!
http://linkis.com/thecut.io/Rq7mC
Haha! Read the comments, her stupidity just exploded in her face.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

From Ronald McGitface:
For your information, ‘homosexual’ is a slur and being queer is not ‘who I am’.
WHAT?

http://replygif.net/thumbnail/285.gif

https://archive.today/2Ja7s

His mother must curse the heavens her god gave her such an idiot for a son. Jesus wept.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

jimthepleb wrote:An atheist's gotta eat.
Bad taste?
meh
Call me squeamish, but I loathe the taste of preserving fluid. Fresh foetus or nothing, I say.

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30075370

Inside the Mind of a Twitter Troll.

Story of a Twitter troll who did twelve weeks in jail for online harassment meeting with a victim of online harassment. Stunning part is they failed to make the troll a fedora wearing, gaming, comet scientist. Female troll and female victim.

Short version: Alcohol and LOLs.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

HelpingHand wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30075370

Inside the Mind of a Twitter Troll.

Story of a Twitter troll who did twelve weeks in jail for online harassment meeting with a victim of online harassment. Stunning part is they failed to make the troll a fedora wearing, gaming, comet scientist. Female troll and female victim.

Short version: Alcohol and LOLs.
Jeez. Threatening to kill and gang rape people over bank notes?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

KiwiInOz wrote:

Short answer: obama's a sociopath.

Longer answer:
obamacare was based on a plan by the conservative think tank, The Heritage foundation, and the law itself written by insurance lobbyists.

Correction on the green energy program: those loans are paying off and that program is now in the black by $30 million.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

comhcinc wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

Who are you talking to?

Any way you had me on board right up to the Snowden stuff. While I am happy that he put out some information that we had a right to know, but the dude is hardly a patriot. Instead of quietly disclosing the illegal activities the NSA was(are) up to, he decide to do a huge data dump.He damaged our ability to collect data and caused a lot of undue hate toward America. He had(has) and ax to grind and wanted to be famous.
I agree. Plus his revelations about the NSA weren't anything we didn't already know, in the meantime he reveals info on US spying on other countries(something every country does) and takes a whole lotta intel to Russia and China. I wouldn't cry if this guy got a CIA bullet in the head.

Now Chelsea(née Bradley)Manning is a patriot. She revealed war crimes in Iraq and is facing more prison time than those who committed atrocities.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

From what I understand, Snowden was considered to be quite the egotist when he used to post regularly on Ars Technica.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Now Chelsea(née Bradley)Manning is a patriot. She revealed war crimes in Iraq and is facing more prison time than those who committed atrocities.
I agree with you good gentleperson (if you identify as an otherkin please let me know)

As Manning....kinda hot.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Hey btw if anyone wants to dox themselves to me I have invents to gmail's new inbox program

[youtube]bzNTjpUMOp4[/youtube]

It's takes a couple of days getting use to it but I don't want to go back to regular gmail after this(and I love gmail).

And yes PZ you have one too if you are nice.

John D

Post by John D »

Tribble wrote:

PZ Myers (9%, 3 Votes)

Can't vote in this pole. Should include Bertrand Russell, Henry James (was he really an atheist? maybe not), Robert Ingersoll, Richard Feynman, Madalyn Murray O'Hair. God damn.... atheists these days are so young.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John D wrote: Can't vote in this pole. Should include Bertrand Russell, Henry James (was he really an atheist? maybe not), Robert Ingersoll, Richard Feynman, Madalyn Murray O'Hair. God damn.... atheists these days are so young.
You have to sign up for an account.

Love Robert Ingersoll, I have been able to get two college papers out of the good Colonel. That might not sound like much but there has only been two books written about him and only one is really a good source.

Southern

Post by Southern »

John D wrote: Can't vote in this pole. Should include Bertrand Russell, Henry James (was he really an atheist? maybe not), Robert Ingersoll, Richard Feynman, Madalyn Murray O'Hair. God damn.... atheists these days are so young.
Surely you're thinking of GLASSER, Russel, the bald slim god of atheism.

(The bald fat god of atheism is, of course, Matt Dilahaunty, the only and one).

Spoeaking of which, how is their shtick going? We get constant influx of shitposting from the A-list FTB shnoozles (PZ Myers the tentacle rape hentai guy, Stephalumpa, Ofie, Ronald McDonald...), but what about the former superstars of online atheism, Austin Texas represents? Of course I could access their blog or their site to find out, but I'd rather not. Thanks in advance!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

James Caruthers wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:They try to rename everything fucking Martin Luther King Jr. Street or day or whatever
East 14th Street in Oakland, CA had a justly-earned reputation for being slummy, crime-ridden, and the wrong street to drive down late on a Saturday night. So the city renamed it "International Avenue." To erase the stigma attached of "East 14th Street." Serious.
A very popular and busy street in my area was renamed for MLK jr.

It's not like the street was previously named Grand Dragon Avenue, it was just a number.

It was done pretty much out of the blue as an offering to appease the liberal gods. But most people who drive the road use the numerical name because it was a fucking number and a busy street. The number was one important way of identifying where the fuck it was located in the greater scheme of the city. IN FACT, the street signs for that street still list the number after MLK Jr's name. :roll:
My PA lived on E 14th, and thought the name change was stupid. When giving directions, people still used "East Fourteenth". But to describe a drive-by or liquor store hold-up, they'd say 'just another night on "International Avenue!"

SJWs have the bizarre belief that changing words changes reality.

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:Any way you had me on board right up to the Snowden stuff. While I am happy that he put out some information that we had a right to know, but the dude is hardly a patriot. Instead of quietly disclosing the illegal activities the NSA was(are) up to, he decide to do a huge data dump.He damaged our ability to collect data and caused a lot of undue hate toward America. He had(has) and ax to grind and wanted to be famous.
How did he "damage your ability to collect data"? Was the NSA curtailed? And what is "undue" about the hate toward America? You screwed over even your own allies.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Tribble wrote:

PZ Myers (9%, 3 Votes)

I voted for

Christopher Hitchens
Richard Dawkins
Lawrence Krauss
Stephen Hawking
James Randi
Ricky Gervais
Thunderf00t
Michael Shermer
Penn Jillette
Barbara Forrest

I am really cheesed off that Eugenie Scott was not on the list.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Dave Muscato now to be known as Danielle : http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -old-self/

Southern

Post by Southern »

feathers wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Any way you had me on board right up to the Snowden stuff. While I am happy that he put out some information that we had a right to know, but the dude is hardly a patriot. Instead of quietly disclosing the illegal activities the NSA was(are) up to, he decide to do a huge data dump.He damaged our ability to collect data and caused a lot of undue hate toward America. He had(has) and ax to grind and wanted to be famous.
How did he "damage your ability to collect data"? Was the NSA curtailed? And what is "undue" about the hate toward America? You screwed over even your own allies.
Besides, if spying is something "everyone does", then why the USA got on damage control mode when Snowden dumped the data? Everybody does it, why bother, right?