Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Eskarina

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Eskarina »

HunnyBunny wrote:Interesting last paragraph to the Peezus article:
Michael Nugent shelters and encourages harassers, and thinks the problem of sexism within atheism is purely American
what happened to rapists? Is that no longer a thing? MN only shelters harassers now huh?
Maybe Peezus finally grasped the concept of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Or maybe he realised that the world comprises more than just the US.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

So, I promised at Nugent's blog I'd come here and defend my claim that Zvan was being "shouted down" in the comments section. Before I get started on that I do want to clarify my position on Zvan.

She's a cult leader for all practical intents and purposes. She's doing serious and real harm to people, and I want her to be stopped. I have zero faith in the possibility of her redemption (and very little faith in the possibility of redemption for any random individual among her followers). So, when I disagree with some of you (and other commenters at Nugent's), it's the disagreement is over what tactics are best for achieving our shared goal.

Someone over there mentioned only Nugent had the power to shout someone down, as only he could, through force, silence her. I don't think that's what shouting down means. If a moderator bans you, or deletes your comment, that's analogous to Napolean siccing his dogs on Snowball and chasing him from Animal Farm. If your voice is drowned out by a chorus of mostly content free comments, that's analogous to the sheep and their chants ("four legs good, two legs better!"). The second example is what I consider shouting down, and it's what I saw Zvan facing over there. A flood of responses, many of them only two sentences in length (compare that to our other threads for contrast). Much laughter and derision. Not a lot of engagement with the content.

Now, I imagine myself as an outsider, someone who knows nothing about the years of bullshit people have been dealing with (and that has lead them to simply mock and jest when someone on the other side speaks). I arrive at Nugent's blog, and I see this woman (who I have zero background knowledge of), being shouted down in the comments. I start to wonder if maybe she doesn't have a point, and just isn't being given the opportunity to express it (almost everyone online knows how difficult it is to hold your own when it's you debating a dozen others, even of those others are exceedingly patient and polite). Whereas, if i'm a newcomer to a thread like the ones Ariel particpates in, it quickly becomes apparent to me that the people on this side of the schism are eminently reasonable, and the others are borderline insane.

I understand the need to blow off some steam and just laugh at these assholes. They're crazy. Complete loons. I seriously get that. Talking to Ariel patiently has driven my sanity right the brink. I still think it's important to do it that way while at Nugent's though. When we need to recharge we can come here, write limericks and laugh at shoops.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Michael Nugent shelters and encourages harassers, and thinks the problem of sexism within atheism is purely American
what happened to rapists? Is that no longer a thing? MN only shelters harassers now huh?
Yes, he has changed the tone completely.

In any event Myers is in the wrong as a matter of fact. It is for him to prove that Michael provides a haven for rapists and as it is impossible for him to do that then that is the end of it. He can't even show it is a reasonable statement and I suspect a barrister would find it trivial to show malicious intent. Redefining accepted word usage, trying to switch the argument or toning down the language later is useless.

All the bits about 'removing sexism in atheism' and related comments is irrelevant fluff. Myers post holds no substance at all in my opinion and will only be pursuasive to his deluded followers. It will also show, along with his other responses, a complete unwillingness to discuss the issue. Getting Zvan to do the talking for him was a big mistake.

Anyway, the above is just my opinion and ironically I wish Nugent would drop it, although it may be out of his hands. I suspect AI as a whole is supporting this for good reasons. There sorts of comments can seriously damage their efforts. But I think people should be able to make nasty comments without anything more than people responding to that. In the UK there is a government sponsored push to make it a 2 year jail term just for hurting someone's feelings. That is disgraceful and the road to the sort of totalitarianism Myers admires. I want no part of it.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

JackSkeptic wrote:
fuzzy wrote:Quote fail above as I meant to reply to picture of Garlix' bread.

And my new avatar is James Joyce's father.
Nugent was involved in a campaign to stop the demolition of Jame's Joyce's home. It's exciting snippets of information like that which make life worth living.
FUN FACT! Did you know James Joyce was a fart fetishist?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:At least Nugent's intervention has changed PZ's behaviour in one significant way.

It has sent him utterly insane.

http://i.imgur.com/E2DthvI.jpg
I'm just glad they didn't adopt a dog.
PZ Myers wrote:... some domesticated and intelligent animals seem to be willing to participate in sexual activity with humans — dolphins and dogs, for example. It is possible to find animals who demonstrate a willingness to participate in sex play. Within that narrow band of possibilities, I’d have to say that this criterion doesn’t provide an argument against sex with animals ....

John D

Post by John D »

Sulman wrote:[URL] http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6081888[ /URL] Meanwhile, in Texas...
Funny that they are charging her with "attempt to sexually assault." She had her mouth around his jones for fuck's sake. This is 2nd degree sexual assault. Would the cops charge a guy who crept into a girls room and started licking her cooch with "attempt?" Nope! He would get 2nd degree and go to prison for 15 years.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

The comments....

http://i.imgur.com/HJxcQAX.png

On a post about smears and harassment, the horde choose to raise it to a whole new level of wilful fuckwittery

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

katamari Damassi wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Nugent was involved in a campaign to stop the demolition of Jame's Joyce's home. It's exciting snippets of information like that which make life worth living.

Ah thanks for the reference; I've been meaning to look up these letters to and from Nora Barnacle. What a woman she must have been! ... He addle little fifie annie ugged his part inher ...

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

JackSkeptic wrote:Being called a defender of rapists is enough. I doubt we would be called unless it is voluntary as a joint action. Myers has to prove his case, not the other way round. Therefore we can simply do nothing as there is an assumption of it being a false statement unless he can prove otherwise.
Sort of (or, maybe, close enough). At first, the plaintiff only needs to claim that the statements are false, but does have to show damage. If there's no damage, then the "truthiness" of the statements is pretty much irrelevant. But if the plaintiff was damaged (in the eyes of a reasonable person, blah, blah, blah), then the defendant can come back with a "but it's true" defense and, then, the plaintiff will need to be ready to demonstrate that, no, the statements are false. It's a fun process and much of it occurs before trial, which is why so many of these settle.

As to whether a 'Pitter could sue PZ in the US ... sure, you can sue anyone you want. But you ain't going to win. Not yet, at least. But MN has PZ absolutely over a barrel under Irish law. The only issue is how and where to sue someone who is not in Ireland. That's the only protection PZ has at this point.

katamari Damassi

jet_lagg wrote:So, I promised at Nugent's blog I'd come here and defend my claim that Zvan was being "shouted down" in the comments section. Before I get started on that I do want to clarify my position on Zvan.

She's a cult leader for all practical intents and purposes.
Don't you need a cult to be a cult leader? She has what, four regular commenters on her blog?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

HunnyBunny wrote:The comments....

On a post about smears and harassment, the horde choose to raise it to a whole new level of wilful fuckwittery
They do it on autopilot.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Yes, he has changed the tone completely.

In any event Myers is in the wrong as a matter of fact. It is for him to prove that Michael provides a haven for rapists and as it is impossible for him to do that then that is the end of it. He can't even show it is a reasonable statement and I suspect a barrister would find it trivial to show malicious intent. Redefining accepted word usage, trying to switch the argument or toning down the language later is useless.

All the bits about 'removing sexism in atheism' and related comments is irrelevant fluff. Myers post holds no substance at all in my opinion and will only be pursuasive to his deluded followers. It will also show, along with his other responses, a complete unwillingness to discuss the issue. Getting Zvan to do the talking for him was a big mistake.

Anyway, the above is just my opinion and ironically I wish Nugent would drop it, although it may be out of his hands. I suspect AI as a whole is supporting this for good reasons. There sorts of comments can seriously damage their efforts. But I think people should be able to make nasty comments without anything more than people responding to that. In the UK there is a government sponsored push to make it a 2 year jail term just for hurting someone's feelings. That is disgraceful and the road to the sort of totalitarianism Myers admires. I want no part of it.
Wouldn't finding himself on the receiving end of the totalitarianism he so admires be the one thing which might show PZ the error of his ways?

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

HunnyBunny wrote:The comments....

Consider how tightly Myers moderates the comments he gets on his blog, and how quickly he will delete stuff he considers should be deleted.

And see how long this comment on Myers's blog lasts before being deleted. My money is - right up to the libel trial.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote:So, I promised at Nugent's blog I'd come here and defend my claim that Zvan was being "shouted down" in the comments section. Before I get started on that I do want to clarify my position on Zvan....

She's a dung beetle feasting on gossip. She's too fucking dumb to be a leader of anything.
She's doing serious and real harm to people, and I want her to be stopped.
Svan is a distraction to decent people actually trying to get things accomplished. I want people to stop giving her the time of day.
I have zero faith in the possibility of her redemption (and very little faith in the possibility of redemption for any random individual among her followers).
She's a nasty, vindictive piece of shit. You can quote me on that Steph, you nasty, vindictive piece of shit.

I arrive at Nugent's blog, and I see this woman (who I have zero background knowledge of), being shouted down in the comments. I start to wonder if maybe she doesn't have a point, and just isn't being given the opportunity to express it (almost everyone online knows how difficult it is to hold your own when it's you debating a dozen others, even of those others are exceedingly patient and polite). Whereas, if i'm a newcomer to a thread like the ones Ariel particpates in, it quickly becomes apparent to me that the people on this side of the schism are eminently reasonable, and the others are borderline insane.
I just reviewed the comment stream, and I don't see that at all. Everyone is being cogent, on topic, and restrained. Casual observers notice it, compare it to the bile and hated and outrageous lies coming from FTB. They then stop by here, see we are, at worst, juvenile & crude. And then they see Svan, Myers and all the rest of the Plussers for what they really are.

Mission accomplished.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Being called a defender of rapists is enough. I doubt we would be called unless it is voluntary as a joint action. Myers has to prove his case, not the other way round. Therefore we can simply do nothing as there is an assumption of it being a false statement unless he can prove otherwise.
Sort of (or, maybe, close enough). At first, the plaintiff only needs to claim that the statements are false, but does have to show damage. If there's no damage, then the "truthiness" of the statements is pretty much irrelevant. But if the plaintiff was damaged (in the eyes of a reasonable person, blah, blah, blah), then the defendant can come back with a "but it's true" defense and, then, the plaintiff will need to be ready to demonstrate that, no, the statements are false. It's a fun process and much of it occurs before trial, which is why so many of these settle.

As to whether a 'Pitter could sue PZ in the US ... sure, you can sue anyone you want. But you ain't going to win. Not yet, at least. But MN has PZ absolutely over a barrel under Irish law. The only issue is how and where to sue someone who is not in Ireland. That's the only protection PZ has at this point.
I've worked on the assumption that Nugent or AI has been damaged and that Nugent can show it was malicious. The 'but it's true' defense I can't see getting anywhere. I saw nothing which indicates the defendant has to prove a false claim, which could require proving a negative, but that the failure to prove a positive claim by the Plaintiff is sufficient (based on my very limited reading and I suspect you know a lot more about these things than me) But as you know there are numerous hurdles to cross for what may appear the simplest of points.

Under UK law it is likely actionable in the UK, simply because Myers comment can be read in the UK, but under Irish law I do not know. I could not find information on that except the suggestion it was the same as the UK from the cases being quoted. I also know some US states offer protection from UK and, perhaps, Irish libel decisions.

Anyway this is all getting ahead of ourselves. We do not know if Nugent intends to proceed. My guess is he may try and be co-joined with Shermer, if possible.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

jet_lagg wrote:So, I promised at Nugent's blog I'd come here and defend my claim that Zvan was being "shouted down" in the comments section. Before I get started on that I do want to clarify my position on Zvan. [snipperoonie]
I happen to agree with you, but would also not argue the point so strongly. If you can convince folks that giving her some slack will get her to come back (to MN's blog) and hang herself and PZ some more, then you are more likely to succeed, IMO. Trying to tell folks that it's simply wrong to "dog-pile" will not work, again, IMO.

Vaguely relatedly ... I would be greatly amused if MN actually does sue PZ over a tweet in particular. Recall, dear Mykeru fans, that UMinn Morris boasted of PZ's tweeting. In fact, it would be hilarious if MN included UMinn-Morris as a defendant (at least, at first) and then subpoenaed their intranet logs to see if PZ was doing any of this on their system. But, again, I might be going #FullMykeru here.

Also, with regard to those of us "hiding" behind nyms being involved in a lawsuit ... clearly we could if we were defendants. If we were to try to be plaintiffs, we'd have to show that our actual persons were damaged, which I can see working if we have monetized our nyms. So you need to get out there and post some YouTubes soon if you want in. But, again, again, I might be going #FullMykeru here.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

katamari Damassi wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:So, I promised at Nugent's blog I'd come here and defend my claim that Zvan was being "shouted down" in the comments section. Before I get started on that I do want to clarify my position on Zvan.

Don't you need a cult to be a cult leader? She has what, four regular commenters on her blog?
An incredibly low-performance cult leader then.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:So, I promised at Nugent's blog I'd come here and defend my claim that Zvan was being "shouted down" in the comments section. Before I get started on that I do want to clarify my position on Zvan. [snipperoonie]
I happen to agree with you, but would also not argue the point so strongly. If you can convince folks that giving her some slack will get her to come back (to MN's blog) and hang herself and PZ some more, then you are more likely to succeed, IMO. <snip>.
I don't think she'd have come back even if the response had been one or two immensely civil and well thought out responses. She's a coward, as is Myers, as are the lot of them. They fold under the slightest scrutiny and retreat to their dens. Unfortunately, I think the nature of the comments there now allows a newcomer to say, "hey, I'd have given up too", instead of recognizing Zvan her fear of being exposed as intellectually wanting.

It's just nitpicking over tactics really. I recognize that.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

JackSkeptic wrote:I've worked on the assumption that Nugent or AI has been damaged and that Nugent can show it was malicious.
Oops. I thought that you were referring to us.

I agree that, under Irish law, PZ is already fucked (unless he comes out with an abject apology soon).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Anybody can sue anybody over anything. Winning the suit is another matter.

Any of us pitrapers would need to show how Peez' accusations tangibly harmed us -- our reputations, our ability to earn a living, etc. And ideally with a specific monetary figure attached.

Nugent, otoh (like Shermer and Radford), has a public reputation that could well be damaged by such accusations. AI's reputation is also a factor.

I hope Nugent fucks Peez into the ground, to borrow a Peezus colloquialism.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
I happen to agree with you, but would also not argue the point so strongly. If you can convince folks that giving her some slack will get her to come back (to MN's blog) and hang herself and PZ some more, then you are more likely to succeed, IMO. Trying to tell folks that it's simply wrong to "dog-pile" will not work, again, IMO.

Vaguely relatedly ... I would be greatly amused if MN actually does sue PZ over a tweet in particular. Recall, dear Mykeru fans, that UMinn Morris boasted of PZ's tweeting. In fact, it would be hilarious if MN included UMinn-Morris as a defendant (at least, at first) and then subpoenaed their intranet logs to see if PZ was doing any of this on their system. But, again, I might be going #FullMykeru here.

Also, with regard to those of us "hiding" behind nyms being involved in a lawsuit ... clearly we could if we were defendants. If we were to try to be plaintiffs, we'd have to show that our actual persons were damaged, which I can see working if we have monetized our nyms. So you need to get out there and post some YouTubes soon if you want in. But, again, again, I might be going #FullMykeru here.
I think Phil has a possible case and he can also show this is not the first time his income may have been affected. Skeptickle too of course. I would not involve myself even if I could as It goes against what I believe in. But I could not anyway as I could not show any harm at all. Even my 'real name' is false, the one I have used on emails and such. I actually do not mind people knowing but I know those at FtB et al would use that knowledge to try and harm if they could. I will not take that risk.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

I'm not at all criticizing your tactics or intent, JL, as I happen to agree and was trying to do the same with Ariel. I just happen to also believe that telling 'Pitters what to do is a great way to get them to do the opposite. #FullMykeru

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

One last legal comment: I know of no case where a member of a large group has successfully sued on his or her own against a person who defamed the group as a whole without naming the specific (plaintiff) member. If you happen to be a white male, for example, you have no chance in hell of winning a suit against someone who has written "all white males are rapists."

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

In moderation at Nugent's:

Myers finally responds.
There has been a rather one-sided ‘conversation’ going on with Michael Nugent for the past month or so. It’s a little bit disturbing, and I provide here a chronology. If it’s too long for you, I’ll understand — I’ve found it hopelessly tedious — and the bottom line is that I won’t be talking to him again, and it ends here, as far as I’m concerned.
In the rest of his post he consistently cites Michael’s words between ‘Gumby quotes’. That will surely hurt Michael, someone who has dealt with the IRA and the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland. Right, Peezus?

What a pathetic, obnoxious little clown the man is.
Really, the commentariat on his blog consists almost exclusively of familiar names from the slymepit: people who have been harassing me, Rebecca Watson, Ophelia Benson, Melody Hensley, Stephanie Zvan, and others for years. That they have found a welcoming environment at Nugent’s place tells me all I need to know about his commitment to ending harassment within the atheist community.
Poor Peezus & Co. They are being ‘harassed’ on an obscure website they don’t have to visit.

Satire and well-evidenced criticism = harassment.
So gosh, no, he won’t be getting a retraction or an apology. What he has gotten is blocked on Twitter and email, and a listing of his obsessive behavior.
Peezus is so predictable.

But it’s heartening to see that he has to show tweets by the likes of Latsot, Rorschach (=clinteas) and even *shudder* oolon to be able to suggest that he still has supporters out there. A handful of creepy nobodies fighting for him in the cold are all he has left, while he is cowering in his bunker. Mit dem Angriff Steiners wird das alles in Ordnung kommen.

http://web.archive.org/web/201411011534 ... gent-saga/

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

http://i.imgur.com/nV91ppa.png

A thoughtful and nuanced response from under the blankets. Must be time for another flounce from twitter soon to raise her profile. she's letting the young crowd get ahead of her in the victim stakes.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:

Also, with regard to those of us "hiding" behind nyms being involved in a lawsuit ... clearly we could if we were defendants. If we were to try to be plaintiffs, we'd have to show that our actual persons were damaged
But that shouldn't be too hard. All you have to do is claim you have PTSD from being called a rapist and misogynist.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I'm not at all criticizing your tactics or intent, JL, as I happen to agree and was trying to do the same with Ariel. I just happen to also believe that telling 'Pitters what to do is a great way to get them to do the opposite. #FullMykeru
Oh, I figured that out a long time ago :lol:

I've been careful to mention that I can't make anyone do anything, and I'm only explaining what I think are the most effective tactics. Perhaps I haven't been careful enough.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

HunnyBunny wrote:http://i.imgur.com/nV91ppa.png

A thoughtful and nuanced response from under the blankets. Must be time for another flounce from twitter soon to raise her profile. she's letting the young crowd get ahead of her in the victim stakes.
She missed all the fun, she has to catch up somehow. All those outrage opportunities missed. Must be very upsetting.

katamari Damassi

Hensley? Crying uncontrollably under a blanket? It must be a day ending in the letter Y.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

OK I can finally die. I have officially lived to experience the ultimate in the expression of "Big Brass Ones".

Never mind Benson, never mind Zvan, never mind PZ. They have proven themselves to be rank amateurs in comparison:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/avy6x ... f-brothers

On a side note the guest on The Daily Show on November 4th will be Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee. If ever there were a case of nomen est omen this guy is it.

If you take all the vowels out of his name then you end up with "RNC PR BS".

Of course if you gave him an enema you could also fit him into a shoebox.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Jan Steen wrote:Myers finally responds.

PZ concludes with "So gosh, no, he won’t be getting a retraction or an apology" which I here translate to the pithier "sue me."

:popcorn:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Nec_V20 wrote:OK I can finally die. I have officially lived to experience the ultimate in the expression of "Big Brass Ones".

Never mind Benson, never mind Zvan, never mind PZ. They have proven themselves to be rank amateurs in comparison:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/avy6x ... f-brothers

On a side note the guest on The Daily Show on November 4th will be Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee. If ever there were a case of nomen est omen this guy is it.

If you take all the vowels out of his name then you end up with "RNC PR BS".

Of course if you gave him an enema you could also fit him into a shoebox.
Matchbox.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Everything is harassment for a SJW. Unless it's unconditional praise, pouncetugs and blind faith.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

[youtube]kHmvkRoEowc[/youtube]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Anyone here got the latest EU4 DLC? IF so is it worth it?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I'm sure I've been ninja'd as I've been gone for a week, but you can report accounts for harassment on twitter if they disagree with your opinion. That's the actual language twitter uses.

https://support.twitter.com/forms/abusiveuser

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

jet_lagg wrote:I'm sure I've been ninja'd as I've been gone for a week, but you can report accounts for harassment on twitter if they disagree with your opinion. That's the actual language twitter uses.

https://support.twitter.com/forms/abusiveuser
I'm pretty sure the report function on Twitter is like the 'close doors' button in an elevator. Strictly for show. I've never reported an account and gotten any reply other than 'yeah, we're not gonna do shit'.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

JackSkeptic wrote:Anyone here got the latest EU4 DLC? IF so is it worth it?
Shit, I've been infected by Volkisch ideology. I'm considering buying the game just because it has Europa in the title.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

What the fuck????

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Volkisch

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Who is responsible for this hilarity? Fascist Tit? Doxbloxxer?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

jet_lagg wrote:Who is responsible for this hilarity? Fascist Tit? Doxbloxxer?
Nec haxxord you, manlet.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

(and this is the best streak I think I've ever had)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The great SJW strategy to deal with rape and sexual harassment:

a)accuse someone of rape and sexual harassment but never go to the police;

b) repeat the accusations even when the evidence is shaky, but never report anyone;

c) accuse everyone who criticizes you of being a harasser or rapist themselves;

d)Then a MAGIC CULTURAL REVOLUTION happens;

e) and rape and sexual harassment will disappear ofrever! Flawless victory!

I've also noticed that when you catch the SJWs red handed, and don't let them forget it, they love to use the pathetic excuse "you're boring".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Anybody can sue anybody over anything. Winning the suit is another matter.

Any of us pitrapers would need to show how Peez' accusations tangibly harmed us -- our reputations, our ability to earn a living, etc. And ideally with a specific monetary figure attached.

Nugent, otoh (like Shermer and Radford), has a public reputation that could well be damaged by such accusations. AI's reputation is also a factor.

My record sales have gone down these last few years. Who's to prove it wasn't due to Myers' lies and accusations?

*evil grin*

Rekt

Post by Rekt »

PZ Myers: The end of the @micknugent saga: There has been a rather one-sided 'conversation' going on with Michael Nugent... bit.ly/1o0EJ8C

Michael Nugent: .@pzmyers "Now is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." - Winston Churchill.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Rekt wrote:PZ Myers: The end of the @micknugent saga: There has been a rather one-sided 'conversation' going on with Michael Nugent... bit.ly/1o0EJ8C

Michael Nugent: .@pzmyers "Now is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." - Winston Churchill.
Nugent's next blog post about it will be interesting.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Anybody can sue anybody over anything. Winning the suit is another matter.

My record sales have gone down these last few years. Who's to prove it wasn't due to Myers' lies and accusations?

*evil grin*
You could also blame your accident on laughing so much at an Atheism Plus quote.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Oh, come on,it would be a piece of piss to get him in their sights where they could pull the trigger. Do you really think Peezuz would be able to resist a free trip to talk at the Atheist Ireland con?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:

PZ concludes with "So gosh, no, he won’t be getting a retraction or an apology" which I here translate to the pithier "sue me."

Peezus' new strategy for dispensing with a live hand grenade is apparently based on Letters From Iwo Jima.

[youtube]3l2NeCiP8b8[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: My record sales have gone down these last few years. Who's to prove it wasn't due to Myers' lies and accusations?

*evil grin*
As a public performer, Phil has some legitimacy wrt defamation. Skep tickle has tortious interference of somethingorother. I have copyright infringement for commercial gain. The rest of you KKK-lovin' pitrapists need to pony up for our defense funds.

let's discuss strategy on the backchannel.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jet_lagg wrote:Who is responsible for this hilarity? Fascist Tit? Doxbloxxer?
Sweet, isn't it?

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:

Peezus' new strategy for dispensing with a live hand grenade is apparently based on Letters From Iwo Jima.

[youtube]3l2NeCiP8b8[/youtube]
Or, if you want another film analogy it has to be:

[youtube]tRHVMi3LxZE[/youtube]

dogen

Post by dogen »

katamari Damassi wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
fuzzy wrote:Quote fail above as I meant to reply to picture of Garlix' bread.

And my new avatar is James Joyce's father.

Ah, that explains the entirety of Finnegan's Wake.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I prefer the pitogynist way of dealing with hand grenades...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/ ... 7e2d68.jpg

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Brive1987 wrote:The blows keep raining down on the pit.

On Zvan's comment thread leftwingfox opines:
Charitably. I think there’s probably a number there who are sexual abusers who are being willfully dishonest, but I tend to think idiots outnumber and amplify the actions of dedicated monsters.
Idiot, monster, abuser. The choices appear very limited.

And that's on a "charitable" day.
If empty, clueless lies can be called "blows."

I like that idea that Mick's is a haven for rapists, whether any rapists have ever been there or not, though. It's so like David Berlinski's claim that anti-IDists' idea of the highest humor (IIRC) was to call Bill Dembski by the epithet "Dumbski." Then someone searches, and there are like three instances of people at Pandasthumb and Pharyngula calling him "Dumbski," and then he's blithering on about how it was all about what people think is high humor, not the frequency of use of the epithet. Cause he just knows, not like he needs any kind of evidence, you know.

Nothing new about SJWism being on a par with creationism in the lack of regard for evidence and "just knowing" what they couldn't possibly support. The whole point is for their claims to be taken without question, not to open up their Absolute Truths to any glimmer of reason or reality.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

another lurker wrote:I prefer the pitogynist way of dealing with hand grenades...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/ ... 7e2d68.jpg

[youtube]UEXP78dgLYY[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Jan Steen wrote:In moderation at Nugent's:

Myers finally responds.
There has been a rather one-sided ‘conversation’ going on with Michael Nugent for the past month or so. It’s a little bit disturbing, and I provide here a chronology. If it’s too long for you, I’ll understand — I’ve found it hopelessly tedious — and the bottom line is that I won’t be talking to him again, and it ends here, as far as I’m concerned.
In the rest of his post he consistently cites Michael’s words between ‘Gumby quotes’. That will surely hurt Michael, someone who has dealt with the IRA and the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland. Right, Peezus?

What a pathetic, obnoxious little clown the man is.
Really, the commentariat on his blog consists almost exclusively of familiar names from the slymepit: people who have been harassing me, Rebecca Watson, Ophelia Benson, Melody Hensley, Stephanie Zvan, and others for years. That they have found a welcoming environment at Nugent’s place tells me all I need to know about his commitment to ending harassment within the atheist community.
Poor Peezus & Co. They are being ‘harassed’ on an obscure website they don’t have to visit.

So gosh, no, he won’t be getting a retraction or an apology. What he has gotten is blocked on Twitter and email, and a listing of his obsessive behavior.
Peezus is so predictable.

But it’s heartening to see that he has to show tweets by the likes of Latsot, Rorschach (=clinteas) and even *shudder* oolon to be able to suggest that he still has supporters out there. A handful of creepy nobodies fighting for him in the cold are all he has left, while he is cowering in his bunker. Mit dem Angriff Steiners wird das alles in Ordnung kommen.

I couldn't agree more with this comment, and with others you've made at Nugent's blog, Jan. When I read Nugent's posts on his wife's donation of her body for medical science and education (a decision for which I have boundless respect and gratitude, as a gross anatomy instructor) and the documentary about willed body donation, and then saw PZ Myers' continuing dishonest smears and doubling down, I decided that since I'd commented on the former, I would not comment on posts regarding the latter. I don't want to conflate the two in any possible realm - it makes me sick to think that Myers is proudly(!) lying about and slandering someone like Michael Nugent. What a despicable, self-involved turd Myers is.

katamari Damassi

bovarchist wrote:Happy Halloween all. So how many of us are actually out doing something, and how many are at home listening to the fireworks outside and contemplating all the ways we don't belong in this world?
I was invited to a party I was really looking forward to, and then about 2 hours before the party started I was no longer in the mood to go. I don't know why. Now I'm kicking myself for not going.

katamari Damassi

Why is everyone saying that "Atheism+ is dead"? There's still fun stuff on their forum. Right now they're crying over some mentally ill woman with a 10" knife, who charged a cop who had the temerity to defend himself. Never EVER call the police on an armed mentally ill person, because the police are dangerous, in fact they should change their name to Murder Squad.