Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
John D

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by John D »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Pagancat wrote:The organisers of Glastonbury banned sales of Native American headdresses because of a petition that was signed by 65 people. Does anyone have any backbone anymore?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 94579.html
Wanna bet what percentage of those 65 are actually natives, as opposed to fucking SJWs?
Hippy festival in the English countryside I would put the figure somewhere around 0%. In fact I would put the percentage who go or have ever gone to Glastonbury who are native americans to be very near the 0% mark.
I can't even remember all the "native" people that have been overthrown, killed, and otherwise destroyed in the history of the UK; Picts, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Scots, Frisians. WTF! These folks need to get a life.

Native American headdresses are fucking cool looking. They were a sign of power and intricately constructed. What is the harm in people wearing them now? When I go to Burger King my kids get a little cardboard crown.... does that disrespect some ancient king from some defeated nation.... or is it just fun the wear a crown. These fucking people must cry when someone doesn't let them into busy traffic. Fucking lame.

Dave

Post by Dave »

John D wrote: Native American headdresses are fucking cool looking. They were a sign of power and intricately constructed. What is the harm in people wearing them now? When I go to Burger King my kids get a little cardboard crown.... does that disrespect some ancient king from some defeated nation.... or is it just fun the wear a crown. These fucking people must cry when someone doesn't let them into busy traffic. Fucking lame.
That of course is my problem with them -- everyone want to be the chief. But thats just me: Ive also been to a Renaissance Fair and spent half the time mumbling to my companion, "Where are all the fucking peasants?"

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

BarnOwl wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I snorted my olfactory bulbs through my cribriform plate, laughing at that. :: checks for leaking CSF:: Yep.
Thank you, Barnowl! :dance:

SCORE!!

http://imgur.com/Aq2o67P.jpg

Semi

Post by Semi »

Tribble wrote:
As for the Hellcat, it was a great plane, and when used to its strengths, was a formidable fighter. But this is what the Navy had to say about dog-fighting in the Hellcat:
“Do not dogfight with a Zero 52. Do not try to follow a loop or half-roll with a pull-through. When attacking, use your superior power and high speed performance to engage at the most favorable moment. To evade a Zero 52 on your tail, roll and dive away into a high speed turn.
Actually both the Hellcat and the Corsair were not particularly maneuvarable compared to the Zero variants. Both American planes were designed to be rugged and survivable, and were quite heavy compared to the much lighter Zero. This meant they had much higher wing loading than the Zero, and thus could not stay with a Zero in a turn.

The recommended techniques for both aircraft used to engage the Zero strongly discouraged engaging in a turn fight with a Zero, but instead use the American planes' superior speed and firepower to engage at will, make a firing pass, and then quickly outrun the opponent. Repeat until the enemy was destroyed (the boom & zoom strategy). Unlike the American planes, the vast majority of Zeroes had no armor plating protection for the pilot and no self-sealing fuel tanks, so it didn't take many hits fatally damage one.

It is interesting to note that the Hellcat was specifically designed as a Zero-killer, and was designed and put into production after a damaged Zero was discovered in the Aleutians and subsequently repaired and test flown by the US military.

The Hellcat was the great Zero-killer of the war, racking up a formidable kill ratio over its Japanese opponents.

But most importantly, the Hellcat was much easier to fly and land than the Corsair, and thus was better suited for most pilots with average flying skills, although there were plenty standout pilots for both planes.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

John D wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Wanna bet what percentage of those 65 are actually natives, as opposed to fucking SJWs?
Hippy festival in the English countryside I would put the figure somewhere around 0%. In fact I would put the percentage who go or have ever gone to Glastonbury who are native americans to be very near the 0% mark.
I can't even remember all the "native" people that have been overthrown, killed, and otherwise destroyed in the history of the UK; Picts, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Scots, Frisians. WTF! These folks need to get a life.

Native American headdresses are fucking cool looking. They were a sign of power and intricately constructed. What is the harm in people wearing them now? When I go to Burger King my kids get a little cardboard crown.... does that disrespect some ancient king from some defeated nation.... or is it just fun the wear a crown. These fucking people must cry when someone doesn't let them into busy traffic. Fucking lame.

Quick history lesson. The Angles and the Saxons were not destroyed. That is why the English are sometimes know as the the Anglo Saxons. Yes there were defeated in battle in 1066 but by the Normans not the British. The Scots and the Picts amalgamated when Scotland became a single kingdom. The current British Monarch can trace her linage back the scots and the picts.

Seriously you are talking about a nation that used to own 1/3 of the entire world and these were your best examples.

I'll stick with the blackadder idea " If you saw a man in a skirt you shot him and nicked his country"

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Ape+lust wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

I think I snorted my olfactory bulbs through my cribriform plate, laughing at that. :: checks for leaking CSF:: Yep.
Thank you, Barnowl! :dance:

SCORE!!

http://imgur.com/Aq2o67P.jpg

RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I hope I got the correct colour for rape accusations

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Opyt wrote:jet_lagg:
You're not missing anything in Firefall, it hasn't been fun since 0.599999...
They wrecked the game for me when they took away my rocket jump to later bring it back on that disgusting dreadnaught offshoot. Every time I pick up that game I get saddened by what it once was, and what they changed it to. A time before leveled areas, when you could go anywhere and not need to worry about things soaking up more bullets per kill simply because they were a different colored name.

In short: fuck that game.
I wasn't there for the beta, so I can't really miss what I never had. I do love the game in it's current form though. MMOs have never done it for me until now. The gameplay has always just been too shitty. Firefall fixed that element and allowed me to finally get that EverCrack experience (it's eaten up more than one of my weekends now).

I would enjoy it even more if the leveled areas didn't have such extreme differences, but I understand the developers' need to keep you grinding and pouring more money into the game. Regardless, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I wondered where Julian went to

John D

Post by John D »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
John D wrote: I can't even remember all the "native" people that have been overthrown, killed, and otherwise destroyed in the history of the UK; Picts, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Scots, Frisians. WTF! These folks need to get a life.
Seriously you are talking about a nation that used to own 1/3 of the entire world and these were your best examples.

I'll stick with the blackadder idea " If you saw a man in a skirt you shot him and nicked his country"
Hey man... I was just trying to make a point. I just know there was a butt-load of different "tribes" in Europe that constantly tried and/or succeeded in knocking each other off. I do not claim to be a English history buff.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

John D wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:
John D wrote: I can't even remember all the "native" people that have been overthrown, killed, and otherwise destroyed in the history of the UK; Picts, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Scots, Frisians. WTF! These folks need to get a life.

Hey man... I was just trying to make a point. I just know there was a butt-load of different "tribes" in Europe that constantly tried and/or succeeded in knocking each other off. I do not claim to be a English history buff.

Yea well more fool you for picking a fight with a history Nazi (And if anyone mentions Godwins law one more fucking time I fly to Germany and bomb Berlin again)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

h/t @PhilosophyExp (Stangroom) on twitter:
"This Pwnage Applies to All Sniveling Dictionary Atheists" at En Tequila Es Verdad

https://archive.today/e54AV

Images & links not copied over
Another day, another white male atheist stuffed full of himself to bursting, all eager to tell us icky feminists, people of color, LGBTQ folk, and other sundry social justice warrior types that we’re getting smudge marks all over his atheism. It’s pristine! It’s pure! It’s just a dictionary definition! Ewww, stop getting your SJW cooties all over it, yucky! *runs away screaming like the boys we used to chase at recess in the first grade*
Today, it’s Michael Luciano. Tomorrow, it’ll be some other dumbshit waving a dictionary around and pompously declaring atheism a pristine nothing. Well, if you’re the sort who likes to sit around feeling all smug and superior over nothing, fantastic. It’s a big ol’ world full of chairs, and you’re welcome to drag one into the corner and sit there enjoying the fact you played the Wednesday Adaams Game and came up with no for an answer.

Should you decide to sit in your chair and enjoy your triumph, perhaps gently sneering at churchgoers as they pass by your window, no one will worry a bit about the fact you’re a pathetic specimen of a human being. Seriously. What the hell use are you if all you can do is wave your arms and shout, “The dictionary definition of an atheist is all atheism is!”?

Like Buffy and the Scoobies said, “Where do we go from here?”

Cuz that ain’t it, muffin. That’s like answering a single question on Jeopardy! and then running around the set screaming, “I win! I win! I am better than Ken Jennings and everyone for all time!!!” You look like an absolute jackass, doing that shit in public. Especially when you go beyond the dictionary definition of atheism and start doing things like challenging creationism or public prayer. Where is your dictionary atheism now, buttwart?

Anyway. I could take the Smack-o-Matic down from the wall and administer some loving* correction, but it’s ever so much more fun to watch other people accomplish the job far better than I could. I shall allow them to take it from here.

PZ’s gotcher dictionary definition right here:
Here’s a definition for you: “a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods”. There is an important word in there: “person”. Atheists are people. These dictionary atheists are always quick to forget that. People have responsibilities to each other, and further, the rejection of religion and the understanding that the universe, and we human beings, lack any kind of grand purpose, shapes the pattern of those responsibilities. You simply cannot pretend that atheism is meaningless outside one philosophical abstraction.
Well, I suppose you can…but then how can you find any reason to even be an atheist?
Heina’s got yer top 5 arguments you’re not allowed to use anymore. Here’s one:
Criticizing Islam based on Muhammad’s marriage to a child, anti-woman sentiments, and proscription of apostasy on pain of death is to use social issues to promote atheism. Pure, true atheists would do well to refrain from such criticisms and instead focus solely on the fact that there is no god. Social arguments are not relevant to believing in no gods.
Avicenna explains why beef is an atheist event:
Let’s say you aren’t all that enthralled by Beef Recipes (That sound you heard was Ed Brayton fainting at the mere thought). But we have a bunch of ex-Hindus for whom beef was a major taboo looking forward to eating beef. Now you may think a Big Mac is hardly an earth shattering meal to be consumed to thumb it’s nose at religion but you know what? A fair few Ex-Hindus look forward to eating it when we can. Hell? Penn wrote about a Jewish fan who was breaking Kosher law when he became an atheist who he took out for pork and shellfish.
So to you a Big Mac may not be an atheist event, but to me it is. And that’s the point of having a more inclusive atheism. You begin to realise that many atheists have different ideas.
But you don’t have to take part. No one’s forcing a gun to your head to eat a damn Big Mac.
Olivia patiently explains it’s a people thing, not a liberal or conservative thing:
Oddly enough, there are still some of us out there who are hoping that atheism and people with a shred of human decency are one and the same, and that’s what we’re appealing to. The people who are saying these things don’t give a rat’s ass if you’re liberal or conservative, but they do care if you are actively pushing them out of your movement, discriminating against them, and essentially treating them like worthless piles of shit. Oddly enough, the desire to be given basic human respect and equality is not associated with any political party. The inherent connection between equality and atheism is that there are people who are atheists who want to be treated equally. In case you haven’t figured out where the atheism comes from yet, it comes from the thousands of atheists who are female, people of color, disabled, queer, or any other minority who want an atheist community that lets them in.
Hank_Says talks about what atheism contains, and varieties of justice:
Atheism might not contain but it certainly strongly implies certain positions on social issues: mostly, that without a religious or supernatural source for morals, ethics, law and societal cohesion, humans have to work those things out themselves and base them on reason.
In the realm of social justice, discrimination against women, LGBT people, people of colour and non-religious people, have many religious justifications. Examined in the absence of those religious justifications, there more or less are no reasonable justifications for such discrimination. This implies that the discrimination, being unreasonable, is therefore unjust. Injustice demands opposition; it demands justice.
Atheists often point to the discrimination they experience at the hands of the religious due to their lack of belief; is opposing that discrimination not a social justice issue? What of keeping classrooms, local councils and other public areas and ceremonies secular, so as not to discriminate against non-believers or non-Christians? Is that not seeking justice?
Ed spells it out for the hard-of-thinking:
It should be entirely obvious that one of the damaging effects of religious belief is the denial of equal rights to women, to gay people and even to racial minorities. In all three cases, discriminatory policies are justified by the religious beliefs that atheist activists fight against. We cannot be effective in countering the negative effect of religion-based public policy (or more broadly, cultural norms and non-political societal structures) if we don’t take up those fights for equality.
And Ophelia sums up the frustration of many of us right here:
I’m so fed up with being any part of a movement that has this ridiculous childish hero-worship thing going on. Guys, get over it.
Listen. You can thump your dictionary all you like, Dictionary Atheist. I’m sure you and the Bible thumpers can have a marvelous time together, seeing who can thump their holy book the hardest. Sit in your chair and enjoy all the nothing you believe in. Heck, you can even rouse yourself enough to go out and try to kick religion out of the public sphere, if you wish (although you’ll need to turn in your dictionary for that – it ain’t in the definition of atheist. Sorry, bro). If you don’t want to go beyond that and be a decent, helpful human being who cares about other people and does your best to make the world better, that’s your business. As Avi said, no one’s forcing you at gunpoint. Most of us can’t even stand guns anyway.

But do, please, get the fuck out of the way of those who give a shit. And don’t wave that dictionary at me. I see it’s the Oxford Unabridged, and I assure you that one more wave will earn you a painful thump over the noggin with it.
JS has ~5 tweets commenting on it, including this:

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

BarnOwl wrote:

À propos the Corsair, this charming pug should be named "Whimpering Death"!

ObT: in 1995 I got out of my Bronco one Sunday morning to do rounds at the hospital to discover a glassy icy parking lot, slipped and struck my head on the door sill. At some stage I came to and went in to do rounds. Drove home and went to the basement to empty the tumble dryer—gin-clear CSF dripped from my nose. The day went to hell from then on. The only long term effect was a marked degradation of my previously near-eidetic memory (I used to pass exams by reading my mental image of the textbook). Spill some toothpicks now and I'll simply curse you for being clumsy (but I still won't mention Godwin).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nec_V20 wrote: "Facetious" and "Abstemious" are unique, not in the fact that you will never cease to be the former nor that you will ever learn to stay off the sauce; but rather that they are the only two words in the English language which have all the vowels in their correct order.

OK, OK, if you are a vowel movement junkie for "Y" then, "Facetiously" and "Abstemiously".
If you say so, Raymond.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

MN is continuing to press PZM for a retraction & apology.
For those who might have missed it: MN just had to put his ~18 yr old cat down and continues to post about actual atheist activism work.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

The audio on this thing is intolerable, but I gather a university rep says the threat to Sarkeesian wasn't real.

[youtube]igpfbZ81zcU&feature=youtu.be&a[/youtube]

They have an official statement up on their website which backs that up. The threat was taken seriously. The FBI Cyber Terrorism Task Force was involved (ideally they catch the asshole), and additional security measures were put into place for the event. They couldn't legally prevent licensed firearm owners from carrying their weapons, so Sarkeesian's (and everyone elses) complaint boiled down to the fact that the police refused to break the law.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

For those who might have missed it: MN just had to put his ~18 yr old cat down and continues to post about actual atheist activism work.
Gah. Meaning, he's got a ton of other stuff going on that by many measures one could consider "better" uses of his time than holding PZM/etc feet to the fire - yet he persists. :clap:

In other news, I am pro-Oxford comma but chafe at the punctuation-inside-quotes rule, unless the entire sentence is a quote. So there.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

fuck....

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Arf, arf, arf!! :animals-dogrun:

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Kirbmarc wrote:Idiot of the week: Malia Bouattia, Black Students officer of the British National Union of Students. According to her, a motion that condemns ISIS is "Islamophobic" and a "justification for an American attack".

Read more about it here
From the comments section.....

http://i.imgur.com/v6YPXLt.jpg

:lol:

John D

Post by John D »

Skep tickle wrote:h/t @PhilosophyExp (Stangroom) on twitter:
"This Pwnage Applies to All Sniveling Dictionary Atheists" at En Tequila Es Verdad
They are either too stupid or so politically motivated that they twist the definition of words onto noodles. Why don't they say that it was their Feminism that led them to atheism? Instead they say my atheism made me a Feminist. It doesn't even make sense.

I think they may just like the word atheist because it is edgy and cool and gives them some kind of intellectual elan. Many of them are not even atheists, and are wicca and pantheists and other such new age gobbledygook.

Whatever. The word atheist is very unsatisfying to me these days. I call myself non-religious. It actually has more meaning to most people anyways.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

reposting jet_lagg's video link:
[youtube]igpfbZ81zcU[/youtube]

FWIW, it's a aVFM video, of a phone interview w/ a Utah State University official.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nec_V20 wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:Mykeru stops posting and this 'German' guy starts. A little too much of a coincidence. And what kind of porn are Germans known for? Exactly. I'm calling it now.
You will have to carry this on to the next thread because Godwin's Law has been called.
Was passing the Turing test until this.

some guy

Post by some guy »

Another day, another white male atheist stuffed full of himself to bursting, all eager to tell us icky feminists, people of color, LGBTQ folk, and other sundry social justice warrior types that we’re getting smudge marks all over his atheism. It’s pristine! It’s pure! It’s just a dictionary definition! Ewww, stop getting your SJW cooties all over it, yucky! *runs away screaming like the boys we used to chase at recess in the first grade*
[ ... snip]
Standard SJW (FtB strain) confusion.

Atheism implies a rejection of arguments for or against a particular position/policy *based on religion*. But that does not mean that there aren't other valid arguments that can be advanced for or against a particular position/policy. For example, not eating beef based on religious proscriptions would, to an atheist, be unreasonable. But there might be other sound reasons to avoid eating beef.

If they want people to support their other positions, they need to present sound arguments based on evidence and reason to support them.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

A SJW argues against Indian headdresses:
The main bodies representing the first nation peoples of the USA have spoken out loudly and frequently against the practice of wearing native headdresses and war bonnets loudly, clearly and frequently. Elders from the specific tribes have also spoken out as well as many ordinary native Americans.

To the tribes that have these items as part of their culture view them as extremely sacred and important parts of their culture. Even tribes-people who are from the appropriate tribe cannot wear them unless they have earned them - usually by undertaking a great act in service of their tribe or gods or taking a leadership role in the tribe.

Basically to see people from outside the tribe wearing them is a huge insult to the tribe and their religion. It's not even so much racist (although it is) it's more that it's sacrilegious. A white person wearing one of these items is doing the equivalent of walking into a catholic church during mass and pissing in the font or someone using the pages of the Torah as toilet paper.
(My question: should we ban people dressed as priests or imams?)

To which a more savvy person replies:
And the drama was a Greek innovation that played an important ritual role in their religion. Should we burn the works of Shakespeare as a result?
It's like those SJWs aren't even trying anymore.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

some guy wrote:

[ ... snip]

Atheism implies a rejection of arguments for or against a particular position/policy *based on religion*. But that does not mean that there aren't other valid arguments that can be advanced for or against a particular position/policy. For example, not eating beef based on religious proscriptions would, to an atheist, be unreasonable. But there might be other sound reasons to avoid eating beef.

If they want people to support their other positions, they need to present sound arguments based on evidence and reason to support them.
I just don't understand their obsession with atheism meaning anything other than just lack of belief. Why? You can't be an atheist and then think other things, too? Thinking those things HAS to be connected to your atheism? With that kind of logic, I'm surprised we haven't seen cripples plus, or blind plus, or Native American plus. I mean, for crying out loud. Why do they keep on with this insipid argument?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Really, aren't there more pressing matters WRT Native-Americans' plight than a headdress? Pick your priorities!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Semi wrote:Actually both the Hellcat and the Corsair were not particularly maneuvarable compared to the Zero variants. Both American planes were designed to be rugged and survivable, and were quite heavy compared to the much lighter Zero. This meant they had much higher wing loading than the Zero, and thus could not stay with a Zero in a turn.

The recommended techniques for both aircraft used to engage the Zero strongly discouraged engaging in a turn fight with a Zero, but instead use the American planes' superior speed and firepower to engage at will, make a firing pass, and then quickly outrun the opponent. Repeat until the enemy was destroyed (the boom & zoom strategy). Unlike the American planes, the vast majority of Zeroes had no armor plating protection for the pilot and no self-sealing fuel tanks, so it didn't take many hits fatally damage one.

It is interesting to note that the Hellcat was specifically designed as a Zero-killer, and was designed and put into production after a damaged Zero was discovered in the Aleutians and subsequently repaired and test flown by the US military.

The Hellcat was the great Zero-killer of the war, racking up a formidable kill ratio over its Japanese opponents.

But most importantly, the Hellcat was much easier to fly and land than the Corsair, and thus was better suited for most pilots with average flying skills, although there were plenty standout pilots for both planes.
True enough, the Zero was deliberately built to be light and manɶuvrable, not only lacking armour for the pilot and self-sealing tanks, but not even a radio. Saburo Sakai has written a wonderful autobiography of his time flying them, from the initial period of superiority to their eventual status as dangerously outmoded.
The curious part of the Corsair's story was that the Double Wasp radial was so powerful that a huge 13 foot propellor was needed. That necessitated raising the nose of the aircraft when on its undercarriage, but how to accommodate such long undercarriage legs? Carrier landings are hard and they had to be strong, so short and thick was desirable. Hence the cranked wing. In turn this led to the very long nose completely obscuring the pilot's view of the carrier deck and the USN felt the plane to be useless as a carrier-based fighter. The British were desperate for carrier fighters and took on the Corsair, developing the curved landing approach to let the pilot look over the left side of the nose to see the deck. Once this had been shown to work the USN adopted them for carrier operations with great success. One of my very favourite aircraft in X-Plane, there is a very good version available here.
If I can vote for a favourite too, I'm going for the Mosquito, followed by the Mk.Ia Spit. Following the sad demise of G-ASKH in 2006 (here, for the ghoulish), I'm glad to say there is a restored Mosquito flying in New Zealand:

[youtube]M-I4hZah_Pc[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

It's like complaining about slaves' chains because the chains are the wrong colour.

:bjarte:

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Really, aren't there more pressing matters WRT Native-Americans' plight than a headdress? Pick your priorities!
... says the guy who wore a metal war bonnet for the last few months.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Kirbmarc wrote:A SJW argues against Indian headdresses:
.....A white person wearing one of these items is doing the equivalent of walking into a catholic church during mass and pissing in the font or someone using the pages of the Torah as toilet paper.
Paging PZ Myers...PZ Myers to the idiot desk - we have a job for you.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

dog puke wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Really, aren't there more pressing matters WRT Native-Americans' plight than a headdress? Pick your priorities!
... says the guy who wore a metal war bonnet for the last few months.
Here's the kicker: it's called an Indian Minerva. Guilty as charged.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I have been reading back on the MN threads. Great work there on the part of our kidders.
For some reason this verse from Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit sprang to mind.
Can't think why.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the white knight is talking backwards
And the red queen's off with her head
Remember what the dormouse said
[youtube]Vl89g2SwMh4[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Let's make it PC: a Native American Athena.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ischemgeek wrote:One thing of tall privilege: I used to TA with a tall woman. I was the senior TA and a master's student at the time. She was a fourth-year undergrad in her first semester of TAing.

Every. Time. Someone new came in, they'd ask her what was going on. Every time. And she'd direct them to me because I knew the course like the back of my hand. And I'd answer. Then they would ask her for confirmation.

That's privilege. The effect with a woman 6" taller than me was as pronounced as with a man of my height.

Oh, and crowds piss me off. Just because I'm a small woman does not give dudes the right to force me off the sidewalk entirely by walking four abreast. But they try to. Tall women do that, too, by the way. The sidewalk thing. And get upset with me for either standing in their way and staring at them until they go around me or plowing through (depending on how irritated I am that day).

Tall people get to take more space than is their fair share (I understand and do not begrudge that being bigger means you need more space - this is why I offer to sit in the back whenever carpooling as I'm usually one of the shortest whenever I go on a trip - but I'm talking tall person on a packed bus in one of the sideways seats who's sprawled out with their feet taking 3/4 of the aisle here. Or tall person who is skinny taking up 3/4 of my space in addition to their own in a lecture hall when I'm actually wider than them - elbows hanging over the arm rest, feet and knees bumping into me when there's enough room for them to go straight ahead, etc. That sort of stuff).

Those things are examples of tall privilege.
Maybe they doesn't take you seriously because you're busy bitching and whining at anything in your life?

John D

Post by John D »

I think they really just hate ME and anyone like me. I just fucking piss them off. I started with nothing except a great family upbringing. My folks believed in work and education and sacrificed for their kids. I lived in a tiny apartment with my wife with a sofa propped up on phone books while going to night school and working full time. Now, in my 53rd year, I have just about everything. I played the game, learned the rules, and worked my ass off. I have wonderful honest loving family and friends, enough in my 401k to retire at 65, a fun challenging job that I am good at, time and money to give to charity and care for my extended family. It is the perfect American-dream life.

So, most SJWs are poor, unskilled, and often mentally fragile/broken. The quickest and easiest way for them to get power is to try to beg me for some of mine. I should pay for their college, dress the way they want, use their special words, provide special legal rights..etc...etc...etc...

But, it is really all about ME! I have all the power and they are using every tactic they can to get me to give up some. Well... fuck you bitches. I used to at least listen to your problems and care. Now, I don't even care anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I am very libertarian about individual rights. I support gay marriage. Hell, I would even also support "marriage" between sisters, brothers, three people, four people, etc. I just can't get behind that latest version of Feminism. I can't even listen anymore. I mean... they jumped the shark when they did the "Ban Bossy" campaign. I am like... WTF?
Privilege Power.jpg
(176.65 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

So, most SJWs are poor, unskilled, and often mentally fragile/broken
I think you got 2 out of three correct. These people are not poor. They're middle/upper class, most of the time.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

rayshul wrote:...ugh. My husband appears to be anti-Gamergate.

vomit.

divorce plz?
Divorce would be hasty. I suggest a few Anais Nin and Anne Rice books left on his bedside table, first.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Let's make it PC: a Native American Athena.
You have seen the error of your ways and (quite rightly) sought redemption... welcome back to the fold.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1413474440475.jpg[/attachment]

I am astounded that this possible; that nobody backgrounds this snake oil saleswoman.

Why not just write her a cheque? Save the effort of yet another puff piece about poor defenceless Anita and her six figure income from selling bullshit.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1413474440475.jpg
(84.29 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

John D

Post by John D »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I think you got 2 out of three correct. These people are not poor. They're middle/upper class, most of the time.
I disagree. They were raised in middle to upper-middle class surroundings. But, they have no money of their own. They are personally poor and rely on the wealth of their family to get them by. They just beg their way through life and then complain that life is unfair. Fucking whining losers. The only SJWs I see with a real job are people like PZ Myers who is sort of king of the SJW hill. Others who actually make a living look to be liberal reporters, CFI coordinators and politicians. A SJW wouldn't last 15 minutes in the manufacturing sector.

Like everything else in life... it is not entirely their fault for being so unhappy. They are just too stupid and lazy to figure out what could make them happy. They were spoiled as children. They begged for what they wanted and then got it. Now that they are emotionally broken there is little help for them. Tough love perhaps... haha.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

'Shined a spotlight..."
That would be 'shone'
Literacy and fact-checking... not in my journalism thankyou!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

screwtape wrote: Following the sad demise of G-ASKH in 2006 (here, for the ghoulish), I'm glad to say there is a restored Mosquito flying in New Zealand:
I used to do voluntary work on my weekends at the Yorkshire Air Museum in Elvington. There is a chap there called Tony Agar that did a painstaking restoration. He had a shed, and that was it.

I did some rivet work on the Halifax they have, too.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

All right, which one of you reprobates is responsible for this? Come on, own up!
Looney.png
(416.08 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Marcotte

Calling Marcotte a looney is disgraceful. It's an insult to looneys.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

I really wasn't expecting this site to be where I finally learned what "never turn with a Zeke" actually means, but there you go.

Now get me Mykeru back.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Dear Pit Friends -

Having just returned from an extended hike in Yosemite Park, I find over 100 pages pf catch up waiting for me.

Can't be arsed to enact the labor, so could someone give me a summary of the past few weeks 'progress'?

Ta!

D

Ps I did notice that Phil is back to looking like Ming the Merciless (the rock-n-roll years)

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Skep tickle wrote: https://archive.today/e54AV

Ed spells it out for the hard-of-thinking:
It should be entirely obvious that one of the damaging effects of religious belief is the denial of equal rights to women, to gay people and even to racial minorities. In all three cases, discriminatory policies are justified by the religious beliefs that atheist activists fight against. We cannot be effective in countering the negative effect of religion-based public policy (or more broadly, cultural norms and non-political societal structures) if we don’t take up those fights for equality.
A thought occurs (please, no applause!)—since we accept that equal rights for women, gays and "even" (why did you write that, Ed?) racial minorities are a given, and possibly some keyboard activists are still a bit proud about having recently come to that conclusion (Hi, Ed!), so is it not possible that this recent inclusivity seems to SJW-type atheists to be the most egregious depredation of human rights when denied by religion? In terms of helping the greatest number of people, attacking the restrictions that religion puts on everyone makes the most sense in a bang-for-the-buck way, despite the attractions of the poster-children Ed mentions. Poster children, by the way, that even the secular members of the societies most damaged by religion are not likely to look at with much sympathy. In terms of strategy, wouldn't it make more sense to attack religion first, using the harm it does to all, then work on the cultural values that remain that work against minorities of all sorts? An example: telling the Afghanis that they must abandon Islam because it denies basic rights to gays won't work as well as pointing out that it took a lot of mud bricks to build that wall that the Imam wants you to bulldoze onto those convicted gays. It doesn't mean we don't care for gays if we talk of the bricks in that situation, it means we are looking at what works. I'm reasonably sure the people waiting for the wall to fall upon them would see that as a matter of some urgency.
Anyway, not to get caught up in details—is it not likely the internet activists see these special cases as most important because of their complete lack of contact with and experience of the lives of plain ordinary boring people in "developing" countries? I have learnt a good deal about being pragmatic in the years since my wife started the orphanage for AIDS-orphaned and AIDS-infected kids in Kenya. You do what works. Find the right arguments, be the example needed, raise the cash shamelessly. Even cash in on the charitable tendencies of religions when you have to—you are still being an educational example to them by simply being a 'good' atheist, and money is still money. The airey-fairy hypothetical intellectualised activism of these dolts is what irritates me the most. They will be more enraged over the use of a normal pronoun than they are over the unnecessary death of a small child from a treatable condition in Kenya, when a few cents for a simple medication or some proper food would have made the difference. Fuck 'em.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I really wasn't expecting this site to be where I finally learned what "never turn with a Zeke" actually means, but there you go.

Now get me Mykeru back.
What the fuck are you talking about?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

John D wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I disagree. They were raised in middle to upper-middle class surroundings. But, they have no money of their own. They are personally poor and rely on the wealth of their family to get them by.
Your implication that degrees in Women's Studies are not an entry to a high-paying career is slanderous and, on behalf of my university, you will soon be hearing from my lawyer. Just as soon as said lawyer stops laughing.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

another lurker wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:I really wasn't expecting this site to be where I finally learned what "never turn with a Zeke" actually means, but there you go.

Now get me Mykeru back.
It's a saying from Pac Theatre WW2: assuming that you're American, if you dog-fight a zero, don't try to use WW1 tactics of turning inside; climb and then dive, instead.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Oh. Wait. I'll bet you were referring to my request for Mykeru.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

screwtape wrote:
I have learnt a good deal about being pragmatic in the years since my wife started the orphanage for AIDS-orphaned and AIDS-infected kids in Kenya. You do what works.
Yeah, sure, help sick children! Still doesn't change the fact that your wife is a rapist misogynist dudebro shitlord by virtue of being married to you!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It's like complaining about slaves' chains because the chains are the wrong colour.

Heheh. I was going to say. Are they really that upset about an item that is a stereotype but not necessarily culturally relevant?

Exactly like when people complain about "cultural appropriation" for words like "hood" or "thug" or whatever, not realising it's an insult. Yes, please remember that "thug" means delinquent BLACK person rather than just delinquent. Brilliant. :doh:

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

jet_lagg wrote:The audio on this thing is intolerable, but I gather a university rep says the threat to Sarkeesian wasn't real.

[youtube]igpfbZ81zcU&feature=youtu.be&a[/youtube]

They have an official statement up on their website which backs that up. The threat was taken seriously. The FBI Cyber Terrorism Task Force was involved (ideally they catch the asshole), and additional security measures were put into place for the event. They couldn't legally prevent licensed firearm owners from carrying their weapons, so Sarkeesian's (and everyone elses) complaint boiled down to the fact that the police refused to break the law.
Elam doesn't think it's a real threat because lectures weren't cancelled :roll: Fucking :cdc:

I hope the involved agencies are allowed to dig deep to find the source of ALL threats. Now that would be interesting :pray:

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

Pitchguest wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It's like complaining about slaves' chains because the chains are the wrong colour.

Heheh. I was going to say. Are they really that upset about an item that is a stereotype but not necessarily culturally relevant?

Exactly like when people complain about "cultural appropriation" for words like "hood" or "thug" or whatever, not realising it's an insult. Yes, please remember that "thug" means delinquent BLACK person rather than just delinquent. Brilliant. :doh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee

Frown upon your shenanigans! :mrgreen:

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

Pitchguest wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee

Frown upon your shenanigans! :mrgreen:

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

That totally-deliberate doublepost was a categorical imperative designed to deconstruct your reified interoppressive denial of problematic parallel South Asian differance. :ugeek:

Or something.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
another lurker wrote:
Now get me Mykeru back.
It's a saying from Pac Theatre WW2: assuming that you're American, if you dog-fight a zero, don't try to use WW1 tactics of turning inside; climb and then dive, instead.[/quote]

I used to play the computer simulation games "Aces of the Pacific" and "Red Baron". Each game allowed you to fly the planes from either side, and they did a good job as far as realistic handling and so on. I remember flying the Hellcat, shit, that plane was not exactly maneuverable, whereas the Zero could turn on a dime - in fact, I had trouble controlling the Zero. My favourite plane was the Corsair, naturally. I also got to fly a blimp in the WW1 game and that was uh...boring. It was also fun learning to shoot *ahead* of your target, to anticipate where they will go next. I couldn't bomb worth a shit though, I'd spend hours dive bombing the ships, get raped with flak, and never hit my target:(

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

some guy wrote:

[ ... snip]

It's a classic bait and switch. Either they are stupid, supremely ignorant or supremely arrogant to assume everyone must follow their particular, poisonous social philosophy simply for not believing in something. Even worse, it assumes that the ONLY way to come to socially aware conclusions is via a non belief. That is so stupid it is not even wrong. If I do not believe in unicorns what does that mean I must believe in? According to their logic there must be a causal relationship to something. If so what it is?

So why do they make such assertions?:

1. They are so lacking in self awareness it never crosses their mind that others can have different yet valid opinions to them or that they can get to the same conclusion using a different route than atheism. It never crosses their mind that the fact Atheism Plus has nothing to do with atheism, Freethought Blogs has no freethought and Skepchics are not skeptics will produce anything but derision and be a source of great amusement. Their whole basis of belief is deeply flawed even if the beliefs are themselves valid. Most people come to the same conclusions using simple logic and reason, something they are unable to do. They have to wrap their beliefs up in pseudo intellectual mumbo jumbo for it to make sense to them.

2. They are so self absorbed and parochial they do not grasp others have different life experiences which will influence their beliefs, how they wish to express them and how they arrived at them. To most people that is a given. But they really fail to grasp that simple truism about human behavior.

3. They are bigots and control freaks by nature. Many suffer from narcissistic tendencies. It is no coincidence that most of the lies, censuring, shunning, doxxing and abuse comes from them. It is like no one ever said to them 'NO' and they can't handle free open and honest discourse so they have to cheat. If their arguments stood on their merits they would not have to do this. Nugent believes and supports many of their aims, he does not have to resort to their tactics. If I ever had to use SJW tactics to support a belief I held I would hold that belief in great suspicion.

I feel sorry for them in a way. It must be horrible to live in a world you think is always against you. To have to think everyone who disagrees with you must validate your claims. To have to make up imaginary enemies to justify your behavior and use childish rhetoric such as 'allies' or 'with us or against us' to pretend it is all some big important war going on. To lack the cognitive abilities to identify the flaws in how they believe must be like living in a mental prison.

John D

Post by John D »

Pitchguest wrote:

There is, of course, a real history of whites using code words for minorities. It is still around, but is not so common. The SJWs take this idea to extremes (just like everything they do). I imagine that some people might use "hood" or "thug" to describe a black criminal specifically. I think that this message wouldn't work for most people. I don't associate "thug" or "hood" with specifically black people, but maybe I am different than most.

My dad was a personnel recruiter from 1960 to about 1990. There were lots of code words in the job orders he got. "All American" was an obvious reference to white men. A company would fill out the job order for a new hire and intentionally write something like .... "We are looking for a "hardworking, All-American, dedicated to family." It was pretty clear from this that the company was NOT interested in hiring a black person or a woman. This kind of thing was common in the 60s and into the 70s. This is not done today (probably because there are way fewer racists).

I wonder if SJWs keep fighting the battles of the past. They probably think things are exactly the way they were in the 60s. This is why they have so many stupid ideas.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

rayshul wrote:...ugh. My husband appears to be anti-Gamergate.

vomit.

divorce plz?
Meh.

I find it hard to hold it against anybody except for the SJWs themselves. They do a bang-up job painting themselves as the victims, garnering media support, and propagating distorted narratives that cast their opposition as whatever-ists who stalk, harass, and threaten (of course, a small percentage do).

The glimmer of hope is that the SJWs continue to invade space after space. That sounds like the opposite of a glimmer of hope, but consider: if what's happening in the A/S and gamer communities is any indication, then most people already inhabiting each space see right through the SJW bullshit. It seems that when onlookers become the SJW-ed, their attitudes quickly change. Perhaps the SJWs will self-destruct.