Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Steersman »

JacquesCuze wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Wait. Level 1 is the highest? Cool.
Regretfully, Level 1 is the lowest, if I understand things right. :(

http://www.theblockbot.com/?page_id=2
Not really clear on that page but Level 1 seems on the bottom level but corresponds to the real bad-asses, the hard-core - supposedly:
Level 3: @theblockbot #Block #Level3 please block these annoying people +a_twit +etc

Level 2: @theblockbot #Block #Level2 please block these unpleasant people +an_asshole +etc

Level 1: @theblockbot #Block #Level1 please block this nasty twit +stalker +doxxer +etc

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Gumby wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Gumby wrote:Snipity

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/GHKgUlg.jpg[/img]
Just putting my 2 cents in again to say that I don't think using images of people who clearly have Down's Syndrome to represent a stupid person is cool/acceptable/whatever word sounds non-SHWish enough to maintain my Pit cred.

There are so many similar photos available of drunks, rednecks and other morons, I don't like people choosing the one of a Down's person.

FWIW YMMV IMHO, etc.
Yeah, I can grok that. Valid point and well-taken.
So use your edit button already, geeze.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Interesting article on narcissism...it also applies to groups...not gonna enact the labour and supply quotes because I am on the phone, but armchair psychologists may wanna apply it to the baboons.

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/20/this_is ... derstands/

Yeah, its from Salon...hold your nose!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

BTW ... for anyone who may be interested:

This comment was in response to this article Northern Europeans as Children of the Corded Ware
Davidski says: • Website
September 13, 2014 at 4:41 am GMT

Sandgroper,

It’s sensible to assume that R1b originated in an ANE-rich population, and that it initially spread with groups that carried high levels of ANE. But the story of R1b is still a mystery, because unlike R1a, it hasn’t shown up yet in any ancient remains generally thought to belong to Indo-Europeans. But it might pop up in early Italo-Celtic remains if they’re available.

By the way, if anyone hasn’t read Lazaridis et al. yet, it’s freely available here…

http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.6639v2

It explains clearly that modern Siberian ancestry is not ANE, but a mixture of ANE and ENA.

It also talks about Finns and other Finno-Ugrians, and shows that these populations are distinct from most Indo-Europeans because they carry ENA.

The authors speculate that this ENA influence is linked to the high frequency of Y-haplogroup N in far Northeastern Europe. So the fact that Finns carry a lot of N makes perfect sense, and doesn’t in any way destroy the correlation between ANE and haplogroup R.
Then things started to get somewhat heated. Read the article then read the comments people. This is how you argue.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
austin wrote:That's what I wondered, no Oafie banhammer yet?
If that was even partly to me, I can't imagine that I'm not banned by her yet. I may even be on the Block Bot list, if such exists any more.

My parents would be so proud.
You can tell if someone has blocked you by trying to fav or RT one of their tweets. (There may be other ways, too, but that's a quick one.) You can still do a "manual RT" ("Edit & retweet" or "Quote & retweet" or, in what seems like poetic justice in this case, you can copy/paste their tweet & put "RT" or quotes & their twitter name on it.

Even if someone has you blocked, you can tag that person in a tweet. It's just that the blocker won't see it unless (a) someone she/he doesn't have blocked RT's or favs, (b) someone replies including you both & the blocker looks to see what it was a reply to, (c) the blocker goes looking.

Any character (AFAIK) before the @ makes the tweet appear in the timeline of people who follow you. I'm not sure about the other person's followers seeing it; that's what I've heard but I can't vouch for it. Without that, it only appears for the person you are addressing (unless they have you blocked) and for people who follow both of you (which, for you & Ms Benson, is likely a quite small group of people, like maybe 0).

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Steersman wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Wait. Level 1 is the highest? Cool.
Regretfully, Level 1 is the lowest, if I understand things right. :(

http://www.theblockbot.com/?page_id=2
Not really clear on that page but Level 1 seems on the bottom level but corresponds to the real bad-asses, the hard-core - supposedly:
Level 3: @theblockbot #Block #Level3 please block these annoying people +a_twit +etc

Level 2: @theblockbot #Block #Level2 please block these unpleasant people +an_asshole +etc

Level 1: @theblockbot #Block #Level1 please block this nasty twit +stalker +doxxer +etc
Yes, I read those descriptions the same way, Level 1 is the worst. But later they seem to say that adding to level 2,3,4 etc., requires a confirmation.

Go figure.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: So use your edit button already, geeze.
Nope.

I gotta live with my posts, just like everyone else.

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

For the record, this was the original title of Adam Lee's propaganda piece: "Richard Dawkins has officially lost it: he’s now a sexist pig giving atheists a bad name." Whether he named it that or someone else did is unclear.

Basically I'm just hoping that this will be a fact that can be found here through a search, so that the original level of vitriol (still very high, naturally) isn't lost down the hole.

On a different subject, it is interesting how the "Slymepit" name conjures up demons in stupid heads. Seen at WEIT in a few comments. I mean, I wasn't sure about it either at first, not trusting the Pharyngula propaganda at all, but simply not knowing whether some cringe-inducing MRA site or something equally unpleasant, or just people who hate atheist woo. But I didn't make any comments about it before lurking. Then, wow, really scary stuff.

If you don't need evidence, though, you can just believe worthless shit.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

another lurker wrote:Interesting article on narcissism...it also applies to groups...not gonna enact the labour and supply quotes because I am on the phone, but armchair psychologists may wanna apply it to the baboons.

I read about a page and never saw an accurate definition of "narcissism" and a lot of shit that is what pop-psych calls "narcissism," but isn't.

Clinical narcissism is erroneous over-belief in one's importance, not excessive self-love or self-absorption. Many FTBers have narcissistic tendencies, which is why having Europeans come in and say "who is PZ Myers?" is useful. Contrariwise, having Dawkins and Harris pay them any attention is feeding their problem.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Skep tickle wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
austin wrote:That's what I wondered, no Oafie banhammer yet?
If that was even partly to me, I can't imagine that I'm not banned by her yet. I may even be on the Block Bot list, if such exists any more.

You can tell if someone has blocked you by trying to fav or RT one of their tweets. (There may be other ways, too, but that's a quick one.) You can still do a "manual RT" ("Edit & retweet" or "Quote & retweet" or, in what seems like poetic justice in this case, you can copy/paste their tweet & put "RT" or quotes & their twitter name on it.
There's got to be an easier way to do that on Mac!

I know on Windows in Chrome, I just click "follow" on that person. If I am blocked, I can't follow. If I can follow, I unfollow. That does generate a notification to them of course that you're planning on stalking and harassing and bullying them.

/techsplanation, sorry.
Even if someone has you blocked, you can tag that person in a tweet. It's just that the blocker won't see it unless (a) someone she/he doesn't have blocked RT's or favs, (b) someone replies including you both & the blocker looks to see what it was a reply to, (c) the blocker goes looking.

Any character (AFAIK) before the @ makes the tweet appear in the timeline of people who follow you. I'm not sure about the other person's followers seeing it; that's what I've heard but I can't vouch for it. Without that, it only appears for the person you are addressing (unless they have you blocked) and for people who follow both of you (which, for you & Ms Benson, is likely a quite small group of people, like maybe 0).
I believe it also appears under searches, and also and perhaps more importantly, in the "conversation" of anyone that clicks, but I have no confirmation of that.

I don't know if it appears in their tweetdeck mentions.

austin

Post by austin »

another lurker wrote:Interesting article on narcissism...it also applies to groups...not gonna enact the labour and supply quotes because I am on the phone, but armchair psychologists may wanna apply it to the baboons.

Skimming it quickly, looks like a pretty good article. Didn't mention Sarah Palin so it'll have to get a thumbs down. Just Kidding.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

PZ Myers says

September 19, 2014 at 11:17 am

Nope. Michael Nugent sent me what was essentially a draft of the article he published…a month or two ago. His one-sided defense of a known womanizer with multiple victims making accusations was there at that time.

I ignored it. It was so patently biased and bizarre (really — you’re going to complain about making personal attacks by making a personal attack? It’s like the Mooney accommodation wars all over again), and so plainly a threat to take his complaints public, that I saw no point to replying. Yes, please, do go ahead and complain about that mean poopyhead Myers (in the politest possible language, of course!) — I’m not going to care. Nugent’s site is already a haven for the nastiest of the slymepitters, so how much does he think an accusation of rudeness coming from that cesspool is going to impress me?
Myers commenting over at Zvan's, dissing Nugent's blog in the strongest possible terms, calling it a "haven for nastiest of the slymepitters" and hence a cesspool!
I guess they're not pals anymore.

austin

Post by austin »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
PZ Myers says

Nope. Michael Nugent sent me what was essentially a draft of the article he published…a month or two ago. His one-sided defense of a known womanizer with multiple victims making accusations was there at that time.

I ignored it. It was so patently biased and bizarre (really — you’re going to complain about making personal attacks by making a personal attack? It’s like the Mooney accommodation wars all over again), and so plainly a threat to take his complaints public, that I saw no point to replying. Yes, please, do go ahead and complain about that mean poopyhead Myers (in the politest possible language, of course!) — I’m not going to care. Nugent’s site is already a haven for the nastiest of the slymepitters, so how much does he think an accusation of rudeness coming from that cesspool is going to impress me?
Myers commenting over at Zvan's, dissing Nugent's blog in the strongest possible terms, calling it a "haven for nastiest of the slymepitters" and hence a cesspool!
I wonder if he dreams or fantasies about slymepitters.

NotungGUEST

Post by NotungGUEST »

KiwiInOz wrote:IIRC, he is actually a she, and she is not a piiter, although she has no time for the SJW bullies.
I keep getting auto-permabanned and can't stay logged in on a VPN for some reason.

Just want to say that IACB is a bloke; you'll have to take my word for it though as the evidence I have is a 'dox'.

Also I personally don't like being called a "pitter" or whatever. This just a forum - I've posted on numerous forums in my time and none of them form any part of my identity. It doesn't mean I support or endorse any particular post here - I agree with what I agree with and disagree with what I disagree with. Some posts I like, others I think are garbage - just like with any forum. You might as well call me a 'faith-head' or similar, because I used to argue with Christians on the "Faith Forum".

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

sinister wrote:So this is all takes to get blocked? Yes this bot is all about protecting people from the worst of the worst I am sure.
You guys remember when I was crying because I was already on the @blockbot and could not level up?

Welp ... I just checked and I did LEVEL UP MOFOS!!! YAY ME!!!

http://bb.sarahlicity.co.uk/#@andrewv691
@andrewv691 is Level 2 on the Block Bot list.
Check their reported tweets on Storify.
Tags added by blockers include: pileon.

Permanent Link: http://bb.sarahlicity.co.uk/#andrewv691
So I can not believe my eyes! What was the offending tweet? :
https://storify.com/The_Block_Bot/379053169
@Slymepit @dougal445 @saramayhew I once gave away an entire department to get rid of someone like @MelodyHensley So they have my sympathies.
FUCK YES!!! I leveled up! *fistpump* Wooty Woot!!!

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

BSR, you hit Level 1 right out of the gate? What an accomplishment! :clap:

But how come my twitter account doesn't show up in that Blockbot checker? I used to be Level 2.

http://bb.sarahlicity.co.uk/#@Ellesun

@Mykeru shows up as Level 1, @mirandachale as Level 3, so where am I? :cry:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Hahaha...OK this is great, gonna attempt a cut and paste..

All I will say is, judging by this research, Gumbrrs can use a pic of himself for "retard"

IG Prizes

Researchers from US, India, Japan and Czech Republic shared the prize “for investigating whether it was mentally hazardous for a human being to own a cat.” Cats rule the internet, but these researchers revealed that owning a pet cat is associated with some personality changes, including lowering intelligence in men and feeling less guilt in women. Two different teams won this prize. One focused on a cat-borne parasite that can infect humans and is known to manipulate the behaviour of its victims; the second looked at whether depression correlated with being bitten by cats.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/ig-n ... -sausages/

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Parody Accountant wrote:Not sure if my reply to tigzy will make it through moderation at WEIT
tigzy wrote:Another lie – or, to be charitable, mistruth – from Adam Lee’s piece:
Pending moderation:
Parody Accountant wrote:"Do you really think Adam Lee will reply meaningfully to this? I’m betting he won’t reply at all, even though Coyne has a somewhat strict moderation policy. It’s a pattern common with the sources he cites in his article. Only discuss where you can control the conversation.

He certainly won’t be writing any articles critical of PZ’s violent commentariat (“die cis-scum” and “old white men should die”.) for the guardian."
It's there now, but I don't see that Lee has responded to any of the criticisms there - and I agree he isn't likely to. Although I see he has a recent post up at Patheos where he makes an attempt, but not a very credible one as he deleted these two comments of mine (surprise, surprise):
http://i58.tinypic.com/2rmmuqr.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/t9xqu0.jpg

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

another lurker wrote:Hahaha...OK this is great, gonna attempt a cut and paste..

All I will say is, judging by this research, Gumbrrs can use a pic of himself for "retard"

IG Prizes

Researchers from US, India, Japan and Czech Republic shared the prize “for investigating whether it was mentally hazardous for a human being to own a cat.” Cats rule the internet, but these researchers revealed that owning a pet cat is associated with some personality changes, including lowering intelligence in men and feeling less guilt in women. Two different teams won this prize. One focused on a cat-borne parasite that can infect humans and is known to manipulate the behaviour of its victims; the second looked at whether depression correlated with being bitten by cats.

*or a pic of Phil (hugs Phil)

:pppp

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Gumby wrote:
How do you insert a picture like that in a tweet? I just tried it and it only attached it; it didn't automatically open the picture.

As to Level 1 being lowest or highest ... I'm cool with either. I'm having more fun with twitter and Michael Nugent's comment section than I've had in a while.
I'd like to know too. I use the "attach picture" thingy on a tweet, and sometimes the tweet is inlined and opened, and sometimes, it's "view picture"

Maybe dimension of the picture? Size of hte file?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

All you cunts have nothing on me, I was well on my way to being the internet Genghis Khan before a twatter permaban, the chief massagonist Dawks was retweetin me daily, and i had smalllady chewin pills before she could view a cfi mail. I've had to start from scratch, i think i'm a lowly level two right now

austin

Post by austin »

another lurker wrote:

IG Prizes

another lurker, have you seen Catty Cake. It's silly but it's late at night so that's my excuse.

[youtube]X3iFhLdWjqc[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

rakon wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
fuzzy wrote: Brive, I've been JERFing for a while as you know, and assure you that tsig is widely recognised as a crank.
Rarely does avatar and content so closely coincide as it does with tsig.
Probably asked before but I can't find it. Did she ever explain why she didn't report the incident to the police?
I don't think she realised she had been raped until after a couple of years worth of sisterly conversations with Poppy. No official word though.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

IG Prizes

I've been known to refer to SJW as Toxoplasmotics. Who knows, maybe Popehat would be okay with that since he seems to dislike calling the SJL SJW.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Conspiracy Time

So I am was trying to be a good little pitter and earn my badge. I went to sigh up at the JREF forum after Brive1987 called us pussies for not helping out in his thread. Anyway I got a response back today.

http://i.imgur.com/wcD0uR5.jpg

Now I know for a fact I had all the fields filled out because I didn't the first time and it made me fill them out before I went forward.
So I am pretty sure that is not the reason.

Now if you notice I used the same handle that I used here and twitter and everywhere else.I am very transparent. Took a couple of days for this to happen. It was not automatic.

Discuss

austin

Post by austin »

Brive1987 wrote:
I don't think she realised she had been raped until after a couple of years worth of sisterly conversations with Poppy. No official word though.
I peaked and notice you've had long discussions with the 666 diamond man. Any luck getting through.

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

austin wrote:
PZ Myers says

I wonder if he dreams or fantasies about slymepitters.
I wouldn't be surprised if he half wishes he could be so badass. I know that he sometimes has said that his sheep should be "bad," but of course he can't do anything more daring than to try to be the most pure academic moralist of them all.

It's laughable that we're the slightest bit badass, but it seems too much for Rev. Myers to handle. It's horrible, with words and even bad ideas being bandied about as if there was nothing wrong with questioning received Truth.

My God, Nugent's site is tainted by [shudder] Slymepitters. My God, he's a stalwart leader.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

austin wrote:
another lurker wrote:

IG Prizes

another lurker, have you seen Catty Cake. It's silly but it's late at night so that's my excuse.

[youtube]X3iFhLdWjqc[/youtbe]
Dude, that is awesome. (If you identify as a dude, that is).

I was shown this today, and its awesome

http://i.imgur.com/Lq7PkkD.jpg

This is great, and so true

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cat_proximity.png

austin

Post by austin »

another lurker wrote:
Dude, that is awesome. (If you identify as a dude, that is).

I was shown this today, and its awesome

The late night excuse didn't work, huh.....oh well fail fail again

Orphia Nay

Post by Orphia Nay »

comhcinc wrote:Conspiracy Time

So I am was trying to be a good little pitter and earn my badge. I went to sigh up at the JREF forum after Brive1987 called us pussies for not helping out in his thread. Anyway I got a response back today.

Now I know for a fact I had all the fields filled out because I didn't the first time and it made me fill them out before I went forward.

Now if you notice I used the same handle that I used here and twitter and everywhere else.I am very transparent. Took a couple of days for this to happen. It was not automatic.

Discuss
The JREF Forum (soon to be the International Skeptics Forum) recently underwent a lot of technical changes, and has been having a few glitches (despite being much quicker to load now).

Try sending an email to that address and see how you go. Cheers.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Opyt wrote:
austin wrote:Brive, did you ever ask Remie or any of her JREF buddies, why Remie confided in PZ and not any of them. That should generate some interesting discussion.
IIRC Remie confided in Poppy, who then mentioned it to PZ as gossip, and THEN PZ spread it around. Let's make sure that the chain of events is properly labeled.
My "kooky theory of the week" is that Poppy approached Smith/RemieV while building her post sacking/resigning case against JREF.

Poppy was clearly Stollznow's go to girl in her escalation against Grothe. She project managed KSs release onto FtB with PZ. And project managed the JREF leaked emails angle there.

It was also a Poppy who introduced RemieV to PZ at the same time (Aug 2013). RemieV had no previous connection and had actually come out against Watson in 2011.

There is no way in my mind RemieV just happened to contact Poppy (coincidently as Poppy was mobilising her own war) at this time after 5 years of inactivity.

And that accounts for the definitive "I was raped, I was coerced into a position where I could not consent" SJ speak in the release. Quid pro quo.

austin

Post by austin »

Brive1987 wrote:
Opyt wrote:
austin wrote:Brive, did you ever ask Remie or any of her JREF buddies, why Remie confided in PZ and not any of them. That should generate some interesting discussion.
IIRC Remie confided in Poppy, who then mentioned it to PZ as gossip, and THEN PZ spread it around. Let's make sure that the chain of events is properly labeled.
My "kooky theory of the week" is that Poppy approached Smith/RemieV while building her post sacking/resigning case against JREF.

Poppy was clearly Stollznow's go to girl in her escalation against Grothe. She project managed KSs release onto FtB with PZ. And project managed the JREF leaked emails angle there.

It was also a Poppy who introduced RemieV to PZ at the same time (Aug 2013). RemieV had no previous connection and had actually come out against Watson in 2011.

There is no way in my mind RemieV just happened to contact Poppy (coincidently as Poppy was mobilising her own war) at this time after 5 years of inactivity.

And that accounts for the definitive "I was raped, I was coerced into a position where I could not consent" SJ speak in the release. Quid pro quo.
It just puzzles me why she wouldn't confide in her stalwart defenders (if you want to call them that) on JREF forums or JREF itself. Maybe she didn't actually have any and that's why.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Discuss
Something similar happened to me. I gave up trying to post there. This was mentioned here a while ago, maybe a few months?
Have the SJW's infiltrated and taken over the JREF forum? :think:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

NotungGUEST wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:IIRC, he is actually a she, and she is not a piiter, although she has no time for the SJW bullies.
I keep getting auto-permabanned and can't stay logged in on a VPN for some reason.

Just want to say that IACB is a bloke; you'll have to take my word for it though as the evidence I have is a 'dox'.

Also I personally don't like being called a "pitter" or whatever. This just a forum - I've posted on numerous forums in my time and none of them form any part of my identity. It doesn't mean I support or endorse any particular post here - I agree with what I agree with and disagree with what I disagree with. Some posts I like, others I think are garbage - just like with any forum. You might as well call me a 'faith-head' or similar, because I used to argue with Christians on the "Faith Forum".
Hey Notung - good to hear from you. For some reason I thought that IACB was female - must be some one else with a similar moniker that I misremembered.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Jaquescuze and KiwiInOz, I think there is a bit of confusion between BluHarmony, who is a She, and iamcuriousblue who is a He.

iamcuriousblue is not listed as a Pit member. BluHarmony is, but she has not posted.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

austin wrote:I really don't know what the SJWs are after at the end of the day. Say they could succeed in getting rid of Dawkins, Harris, etc., banishing them from the atheist movement, shunning them from TAM and other conferences, etc. What would we have in its place. Greta Christina pontificating about the right for feminists to tell naught rape fantasy stories, but shunning men for enjoying them. What is the point. Hearing annoying talks from the likes of Avicenna, Alex Gabriel and the Canuck, I'd want to vomit or take speed to stay awake at one of those conferences. I think I'd become a Christian again, if that was all that there was to offer. Of course not, but you get the point.
In the very unlikely event they 'win' and the Big Names are damaged to the point they all but vacate visible roles in the atheist/skeptic community, it will be a pyrrhic victory. The SJW 'leaders', and the entire movement really, will have been exposed as dogmatic zealots in the eyes of enough atheists and skeptics that any beachhead they may have had in the community will be lost. There will be no PZ Myers as keynote speaker (or any speaker) and no workshops teaching about social justice activism at the big tent cons, or even the smaller cons. It will be only at explicit SJW cons, where speakers sometimes outnumber attendants and talks are given mostly to empty chairs, that they can have a big role.

I don't think Peez and Co. have any real battle plan. They're just lashing out. They know their numbers are relatively small. But they believe they are the chosen ones, the conscience of the community and the moral exemplars. They expect to be treated like the priest class of the community. And when a priest is disrespected by a member of the nobility, all they can do is point their fingers in rage and shout 'heretic!'.

That's not to say the SJW movement doesn't have real power and isn't dangerous. They have two big weapons: a disproportionate number of SJW journalists and identity politics university departments around the world. Whenever there's a battle, there will be SJW journalists ready to write deeply slanted narratives in widely read publications exclusively from the SJW point of view. And identity politics university departments, with funding completely disconnected from the objective value of their work, will keep churning out the specious propaganda that SJW's use as 'intellectual ammunition'.

Avalyne

Post by Avalyne »

Skep tickle wrote:BSR, you hit Level 1 right out of the gate? What an accomplishment! :clap:

But how come my twitter account doesn't show up in that Blockbot checker? I used to be Level 2.

I got that quick block from Oafie on day 1, but I'm still not on the blockbot list. It appears that a person can move up levels quickly by mentioning Melody. Try that! :banana-rock:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

austin wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
I peaked and notice you've had long discussions with the 666 diamond man. Any luck getting through.
Damion enjoys making people work for their opinions, which is very different to the typical polemic clashes you come across. His discussions at OB's (before he got banned) shows he has little sympathy for perceived "stupid" on either side. Few people though appreciate having someone else demand they step up in their arguments.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Discuss
Something similar happened to me. I gave up trying to post there. This was mentioned here a while ago, maybe a few months?
There was a couple of days when my password didn't work. I reset it and it still didn't work.

Then it did.

I'd give it another shot. If only for the MattasMaximus lolz.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Gumby wrote:Dawkins, on Coyne's post:
Thank you, Jerry.

I long ago declared that I would not wish to go on living if I found myself in a world dominated by people who no longer care about what’s true and express open contempt for factual evidence. Either a 1984 world where the Party in power is the sole arbiter of what is “true” and enforces it with violence; or a world where truth is whatever society deems it to be, regardless of evidence, and where dissenters are ruthlessly punished by vitriolic abuse or ostracism rather than violence.

I fear we are sleepwalking towards that feared world, where people shun evidence and despise facts: a world where dogma is king, emotion is queen and evidence is exiled; and where dissent from orthodoxy is suppressed by verbal if not physical jackboots.

Richard
http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... nt-1062166

Well, that should send foam flying out of PZ's mouth :mrgreen:
What a fantastic comment.
Love the phrase "we are sleepwalking towards that feared world"
Sleepwalking is a pretty perfect word to describe the years-long non-actions of him, Shermer, Kraus, Nugent, CFI, etc, who just ignore (or tacitly endorse with con invites) all the things that drive pitters, and pitters-at-heart, mad with frustration and disgust and mocking laughter.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

John Greg wrote:Jaquescuze and KiwiInOz, I think there is a bit of confusion between BluHarmony, who is a She, and iamcuriousblue who is a He.

iamcuriousblue is not listed as a Pit member. BluHarmony is, but she has not posted.
I am a fan of both! If it's a mistake, it's Oafie's mistake.

So PZ, when you read this, please let Oafie know.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Something similar happened to me. I gave up trying to post there. This was mentioned here a while ago, maybe a few months?
I am willing to assume that isn't happening. That it is just sometype of snapfu with the website. But when I cliched on the link on the first email they sent me the other night

http://i.imgur.com/4cNLmO5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n1GwfQP.jpg

It said my account was awaiting moderation. If it was a simple did not fill out the form properly I think it would not have took so long.

Any way I have resubmitted the whole thing again. Let's see what happens.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Speaking of which has PZ's blindingly unselfaware comment been noted?

He is speaking about big- athesism but describing FtB

His Call the Police or GTFO post is a keeper for proof the man is a raving lunatic.

http://i.imgur.com/LkToIA8.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... more-20704

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Oh by the way for the photoshopers out that. I came across one of the greatest wrestling gifs every. Could be reworked maybe even if not enjoy.

https://i.imgur.com/KhUupYe.jpg

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Mykeru wrote:
Pro tip: When shitting in the woods isn't convenient, just carry your brown loaf around in a plastic bag and fling it. Sort of like what you do when walking the dog. Just in reverse.
Kinda like so?

(don't tell Mykeru, but I promise, I cross my bleeding, overly-romantic heart, that that link, while relevant, is safe for work)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

John Greg wrote:Jaquescuze and KiwiInOz, I think there is a bit of confusion between BluHarmony, who is a She, and iamcuriousblue who is a He.

Thanks John. Yes, BluHarmony is who I was thinking of.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

iamcuriousblue is a bloke?

That will take some processing for me.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:iamcuriousblue is a bloke?

It's okay. You are normal.

[youtube]p-A8GvUehq4[/youtube]

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Brive1987 wrote:Speaking of which has PZ's blindingly unselfaware comment been noted?

He is speaking about big- athesism but describing FtB

His Call the Police or GTFO post is a keeper for proof the man is a raving lunatic.

http://i.imgur.com/LkToIA8.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... more-20704
I do think that Peezus really manages to go beyond ordinary institutional protectiveness, to rather more cultic levels.

Not Jim Jones, probably, but just the Slymepit horror itself seems manic in a way that your average egotistic CEO wouldn't be, or at least wouldn't admit to being. Your average authoritarian at least knows to pretend to a certain amount openness, even if the upshot of any disagreement is that the authoritarian necessarily prevails. Not Peezus, he seems incapable of recognizing that other viewpoints could be considered by anyone but Ted Bundy and ilk.

Indeed, nothing wrong with pointing out what all of know, that institutions are hardly bastions of open-mindedness. Too bad he makes almost anything better by comparison to himself, save some of the most egregious cult leaders. Granted, he can't truly control anyone now as much as many institutions can and do, but his rhetoric is nothing but dictatorial in the name of ideological righteousness

Just thought I'd mention how odd it is that "Slymepit" is flagged here as being misspelled. Well, don't fix it on my account.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Just a warning that Hornbeck has a guest article on OB's titled: A Statistical Analysis of a Sexual Assault Case

Don't say you weren't warned.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... more-15671

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Avalyne wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:BSR, you hit Level 1 right out of the gate? What an accomplishment! :clap:

I got that quick block from Oafie on day 1, but I'm still not on the blockbot list. It appears that a person can move up levels quickly by mentioning Melody. Try that! :banana-rock:
Theory rejected:
I went straight to L2 (outside of "slymepitter" designation from oolie) from being in a "dogpile" on Malady. :doh:
So it doesn't immediately put you at L1.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:

We must never talk of this again.

http://i.imgur.com/QXlWWL4.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

We must never talk of this again.

http://i.imgur.com/QXlWWL4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/c92JFsr.png

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Just for balance, it does seem to me that Coyne is rather censorious, if in a purportedly "even-handed" way (I don't know about that either way).

So you have people at Oaf's claiming to have been censored, and clearly some MRAish-type stuff was as well. Can't really see any good reason for either, although I can't pretend that I know the full stories either.

It's always seemed too much that way to me, one reason why I haven't bothered with WEIT for years prior to today. I'm not especially concerned--he can do what he wants with his blog--I just don't want it to pretend by omission that it's a bastion of openness, when I tend to steer clear of it because I think it isn't--and I think that the evidence today bolsters that sense of it that I've had.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

austin wrote:

X3iFhLdWjqc
It's funnier in the original Klingon:
[youtube]9WKZ7QIzfUQ[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:If that was even partly to me, I can't imagine that I'm not banned by her yet. I may even be on the Block Bot list, if such exists any more.

There's got to be an easier way to do that on Mac!

I know on Windows in Chrome, I just click "follow" on that person. If I am blocked, I can't follow. If I can follow, I unfollow. That does generate a notification to them of course that you're planning on stalking and harassing and bullying them.

/techsplanation, sorry.

<snip>
Sure, you can also try Following.

But:
(a) at least on Tweetdeck that's 2 clicks not 1 (vs 1 click for fav or RT), and

(b) I don't care to be thought of as following, seen as trying to follow, or accidentally actually following any of the people I'd be thinking might have blocked me

At least with a fav or RT (w/ or w/o canceling it if it goes through) you can pick a tweet that might make 'em wonder why you would fav or RT that particular one. :)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Me too.

I didn't confuse iacb with BluHarmony, I've met BH & follow her on twitter. But I think with iacb's support of sex work I initially confused iacb w/ Violet Blue, the woman who was invited to speak at a conference in SF in 2/2013 then had her talk canceled because its theme included sex & that violated the conference policy. Not that lately I've been thinking they're the same person. But you know how your mind can play subtle tricks on you and forget to let you in on it.

Here's the Ada Initiative's take on the Violet Blue episode:
http://adainitiative.org/2013/02/keepin ... nferences/

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Yes, it seems Coyne is indeed pretty free and easy with his version of the ban hammer. As has been said before: his blog; his rules. And, at the very least, he doesn't crow about being open to Free Thinking and Free Expresssion -- I mean, he appears to be upfront about his policy for deleting and banning, though of course, who knows. I mean, we don'y alwats see what's been removed.

Anyway, all that being said, I still vociferously disagree with anyone who claims to want to discuss important issues by banning comments they don't like. That is not how progress is made; that is not how debate works; that is not the way to opening minds and allowing diverse opinions to grow.