Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Sulman

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Sulman »

didymos wrote:Here's her awful lecture, which is bizarrely condescending to Poland, in addition to getting basic facts about the novels the games are based on wrong:

[youtube]PQKpH_ujwkc[/youtube]
Comments are disabled for this video.

Colour me surprised.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Oh, and someone called her on her "made of rape" bullshit, and her defense was that tweet, is, like so old:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

didymos wrote:Oh, she's straight lying about the trailer too. Here's the only one that has anything remotely close:

[youtube]c0i88t0Kacs[/youtube]
Yes. The "gang rape" which was a woman struggling with men beating and kicking her and trying to hang her.

Of course she was lying. It's come to the point where I don't expect any truth to be forthcoming from any of these people.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Apples wrote:
didymos wrote:What gets me about Dana Hunter is that she still thinks LOLcats are cool.
http://i.imgur.com/WcXmcpi.jpg?1
Don Knotts really let himself go.

sinister

Post by sinister »

I find it humorous to see men using #NotAllMen to attack men, as the man that isn't like other men.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

sinister wrote:I find it humorous to see men using #NotAllMen to attack men, as the man that isn't like other men.
This could be fun ...

#NotAllMen

begets

#NotAllMenUseNotAllMen

begets

#NotAllMenUseNotAllMenUseNotAllMen

... until the entire fucking 140 characters is the hash-tag.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

katamari Damassi wrote:
another lurker wrote:Anyone here EVER have to struggle through the Old Cathedral in Thief 1?

OMFG, I finally worked up the courage to play through it a few years back (yeah yeah my first time playing I was a huge pussy and skipped all of the OC levels).

The worst thing, about those 4 OC levels is that IT NEVER FUCKING ENDED. JFC. Back and forth, dodging zombies. GRRR. My boyfriend is an ass and he got some chainmail and started rubbing it in order to scare me. I really hate the undead Hammerites:(
LOVED that game. I used to have to play it in the dark because any glare made it impossible to see on my crappy monitor.
It was one of the best games ever. I think I only ever played it with a software renderer (I was graphics card underprivileged), and it was naturally a super dark game. I would always have to crank up the brightness to give myself virtual night vision. The game engine was literally called the dark engine.

Apart from the game dynamics of moving away from the usual running and gunning FPS clones, I loved the atmosphere and the mythos of the world thief was set in. The writers never gave away too much info about the world, just enough to spark your imagination, or maybe my imagination was better when I was younger...

They probably shared a few writers with system shock 2.

Git

Post by Git »

another lurker wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
another lurker wrote:BTW, zenbabe is a girl, as am I. We both play games.

WHERE ARE OUR BROWNIE POINTS FOR BEING GIRL-GAMERS, OR GAMER-GIRLS, MOTHERFUCKERS???
*tips fedora*
I apologize for the brutish nature of my colleagues, m'lady.
http://i.giftrunk.com/r1hkt8.gif

Neckbeard Clarence appreciates you for who you are: beautiful female types. I will protect you from the ignorant masses, my good lady. I say, "Nay! Chivalry is not dead!"
Mykeru is sending me a pussy pass. He is a true gentleman.
http://bobmorris.files.wordpress.com/20 ... er-cat.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Badger3k wrote:Reading the Comics Curmudgeon, a new Mary Worth sums up the SJW mindset perfectly:

http://joshreads.com/images/14/09/i140903maryworth.jpg

Could also be someone needs more fiber in her diet...

dogen

Post by dogen »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
sinister wrote:I find it humorous to see men using #NotAllMen to attack men, as the man that isn't like other men.
This could be fun ...

#NotAllMen

begets

#NotAllMenUseNotAllMen

begets

#MaleNotAllMenImpression

dogen

Post by dogen »

Tribble wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Reading the Comics Curmudgeon, a new Mary Worth sums up the SJW mindset perfectly:

http://joshreads.com/images/14/09/i140903maryworth.jpg

Could also be someone needs more fiber in her diet...
Or stop with the all-day pegging sessions.

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
This could be fun ...

#NotAllMen

begets

#NotAllMenUseNotAllMen

begets

#NotAllMenAreYourShieldsButYourSlipIsShowingSoYesAllWomenCutForBieber

(I'm new to this)

dogen

Post by dogen »

While we're on the subject of games... who else is excited by the imminent release of Beyond Earth? I still play Alpha Centauri regularly, and still thing it's fucking awesome.

sinister

Post by sinister »

'
So.. Movie Bob is kinda dumb, eh? Is that a requirement for game 'journalists'?

sinister

Post by sinister »

dogen wrote:While we're on the subject of games... who else is excited by the imminent release of Beyond Earth? I still play Alpha Centauri regularly, and still thing it's fucking awesome.
It makes me moist.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

sinister wrote:
dogen wrote:While we're on the subject of games... who else is excited by the imminent release of Beyond Earth? I still play Alpha Centauri regularly, and still thing it's fucking awesome.
It makes me moist.
I have never played a strategy game. I should really break my cherry and try one eventually. Lord knows I have enough of them. Just got Age of Empires multi-pack from HB. I always thought that I'd hate top down RPG's, but then I played Divine Divinity and loved it.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Code: Select all

mysqldump slymepit nerds-nerds | grep -i -q jew && mail -s "Alert" git@zion4ever.com <<EOF
Slymies be talking shit 'bout the joos again, time to log on
EOF
Amirite?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

sinister wrote:'
So.. Movie Bob is kinda dumb, eh? Is that a requirement for game 'journalists'?
Isn't that part of the point, as people like Paul Fidalgo represent - getting rid of shooters and other violent video games. Plus, all the other rape-filled games that must promote patriarchy and toxic masculinity (although I suspect that to SJWs all masculinity is toxic, especially for the hipster mwap*). Then the world will be the feminist utopia, including the reeducation camps for the incorrigible neck beard MRA dudebro shitlords.

* Males With A Penis - to distinguish them from the other thousands of sexes humans have.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

I really wish that I could participate in the discussion of recent and upcoming games...
another lurker wrote:Anyone here EVER have to struggle through the Old Cathedral in Thief 1?
...but the only question that I want to ask is how to kill the centipede thing in the top room of the tower in Nitendo Legend of Zelda. Hit it in the tail, right?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I really wish that I could participate in the discussion of recent and upcoming games...
...but the only question that I want to ask is how to kill the centipede thing in the top room of the tower in Nitendo Legend of Zelda. Hit it in the tail, right?
Thief 1 is 15 years old...

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Guest wrote:
sinister wrote:
Guest wrote:Apologies for the double post. Was too impatient.
Iol had to get back to your game?
Yeah, just can't stop swinging my lightsabre.

(Dammit, SWTOR had so much potential. Bastard shareholders.)

I played the month that came with the game and have never looked back. There was no fucking 200 of unique class story hours per class as per the BioWare press release sucked down as gospel by the fucking reviewers. It only took 40ish hours to get to end game and 75% was rehashed for every character.

Every world, almost without exception had four areas, each of which was structured like this:

Main Quest (world to world, class based)
Planet Quest (that world only, area to area)
Local Side Quest (that area only)

And the bullshit always making you face the boss up close in the initial start. Really kind of hard on the goddamn ranged/sniping Smugglers and Bounty Hunters!

Anyway, it could have been a great MMO. Instead it was totally mediocre and people dropped it like flies. We had over 200 people in our guild. By the last day I could play, less than 10 were still active in any meaningful way with the rest rarely logging in at all.

Which is why North America has gone from 214 servers to 8. And, at best, the traffic is merely 'standard' during peak and 'light' the rest of the time. And Europe is even worse. Only 3 servers left out of 180+, all of which are English language servers with the French, Spanish and German language servers being closed.

windy

Post by windy »

JacquesCuze wrote:
windy wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Well here's an article that should make Atheist+ and Gamers+ Ecstatic, make skeptical Atheists happy while annoying atheist Skeptics.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... on-patents

Anyway, this is another instantiation of the patented Chris Mooney "Republican brains be stoopid, science prooves it" and "Relgisous brains be stoopid, science prooves it" template.
What are you on about? Mooney used to be firmly in the accommodationist "no conflict between science and religion" camp, so if anything he has patented the opposite of the latter expression. I assume that's why he added the "...after all" in the title.

And I don't know why it should "make Atheist+ and Gamers+ ecstatic"- isn't this sort of thing a bit too close for comfort to Dawkins' tweets about how few Nobel prizes go to Muslim countries?
Ah, so yours is an interesting perspective, and there's probably a great deal of truth to it.

In my experience Mooney has always been in the camp of Science Proves Conservative Brains Are Damaged and Stupid and constantly pushes any kind of crap that forwards that agenda.
That's my impression as well, but at least during his Scienceblog years he always seemed to apply very different standards to criticising religion.

And here's Coyne from last year, accusing Mooney of (still) being too soft on religion:
http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... eationism/

It could be he's just trying to pander to a new audience, but I'm willing to cut him some slack for exploring a different viewpoint.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Partly to show my previous post was a joke.
another lurker wrote:Just got Age of Empires multi-pack from HB.
Forget AoE. Age of Mythology is my lab's favorite game. We set up six or so PCs and have at it. It's usually everyone against the Korean grad-student ... and the fucker still wins. So we switch to Munchins ... and the fucker still wins.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I have a confession to make. I never played System Shock 2 during its original release. (I know, I know, a gamer faux pas!)

But I did buy it on GOG a few months back and I installed it hoping to redeem myself. Let me just put it this way: I've become way too used to modern games. Because holy fucking shit. The game is way too fucking complicated. I'm sure at the time when I was more accustomed to games being that way and I actually think I would have made sense of it much sooner due to the contrived way games were conceived back then, but now? I came to a point where I had no idea what to do. Enemies were swarming me. I ran out of bullets. The upgrade system is crazy. I could link waypoints on the map multiple times that would show up in the game but showed no way how to disable them so they were eventually clogging up my screen. Um. Yeah.

I didn't even get half way. I still have it on my computer, haunting me, compelling to play it all the way through. But each time I fire it up I run into the same problem. I refuse to look through playthroughs on YouTube because I want to figure that shit out for myself, but I was just astounded on just how complicated it turned out. Even the original Deus Ex wasn't this convoluted.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

On the other hand, some old games, sometimes equally complicated and convoluted, I can play just fine. Eh. Just chalk it down to nostalgia, I guess.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

sinister wrote:
Lochness_Hamster wrote:#Notyourshield I finally get to play my Fag card
Can I play your fag card?

Wait... that sounds dirty.
In which she plays the fagott.
http://www.mk-rohrdorf.de/fileadmin/con ... t_2_02.jpg

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

The two old games I sometimes can't help but still play are ascii-DOS Empire and Joust. Of course, the latter involving getting above someone else and poking them with a long stick....

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Partly to show my previous post was a joke.
another lurker wrote:Just got Age of Empires multi-pack from HB.
Forget AoE. Age of Mythology is my lab's favorite game. We set up six or so PCs and have at it. It's usually everyone against the Korean grad-student ... and the fucker still wins. So we switch to Munchins ... and the fucker still wins.
Your humour is too high brow for me. More :cdc: jokes pls.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Pitchguest wrote:I have a confession to make. I never played System Shock 2 during its original release. (I know, I know, a gamer faux pas!)

But I did buy it on GOG a few months back and I installed it hoping to redeem myself. Let me just put it this way: I've become way too used to modern games. Because holy fucking shit. The game is way too fucking complicated. I'm sure at the time when I was more accustomed to games being that way and I actually think I would have made sense of it much sooner due to the contrived way games were conceived back then, but now? I came to a point where I had no idea what to do. Enemies were swarming me. I ran out of bullets. The upgrade system is crazy. I could link waypoints on the map multiple times that would show up in the game but showed no way how to disable them so they were eventually clogging up my screen. Um. Yeah.

I didn't even get half way. I still have it on my computer, haunting me, compelling to play it all the way through. But each time I fire it up I run into the same problem. I refuse to look through playthroughs on YouTube because I want to figure that shit out for myself, but I was just astounded on just how complicated it turned out. Even the original Deus Ex wasn't this convoluted.
Actually no. You're not. I loved SS2. but not as much as I loved the first game, which was a lot more ultima-in-space and a fairly gentle pace. I always felt that SS1 was largely unrecognised compared to the genre wrecking-ball of its younger sister.

I felt Bioshock did it all much better, and is - I think - the most stunningly atmospheric game I've played since the happy days of the 90's. A fully realised world.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

@ another lurker - All I really meant is that the various god powers and such make AoM much more fun that AoE. When you've got six or so drunk or stoned gamers around, it can be quite fun.

On the other hand, if you don't know Jackson's board game Munchins, you're an incomplete person. There's no other way to put it.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Anyone here ever play Dwarf Fortress? Not my style, but my bf loves it. His dwarf craftsman created a legendary barrel, then went insane and took all of his clothes off.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Femfreq went for the nuclear option:
It's basically even more futile to try arguing with her, because everyone will just go "Well, look at that."

dogen

Post by dogen »

TiBo wrote:
sinister wrote:
Lochness_Hamster wrote:#Notyourshield I finally get to play my Fag card
Can I play your fag card?

Wait... that sounds dirty.
In which she plays the fagott.
http://www.mk-rohrdorf.de/fileadmin/con ... t_2_02.jpg
That's not a fagott, that's a Shatner's Bassoon.

[youtube]_SyurgZ8GaQ[/youtube]

sinister

Post by sinister »

didymos wrote:Femfreq went for the nuclear option:
It's basically even more futile to try arguing with her, because everyone will just go "Well, look at that."
So feminism works by making every issue personal, then since they are a woman, somehow it sexist, even if it happens to men. Then when someone calls bullshit, that's terrorism.

Nice gig.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Given a Twitter userbase of ~300 million, is this sample of invective in any way surprising?

Fuck, I could incur just as much vitriol by tweeting about marmite. Wouldn't mean Yeast Culture is a thing.

sinister

Post by sinister »

What the hell are these people even talking about? Even the worst trolls I have encountered online could be ignored or you could find another match. Nothing, and I mean literally NOTHING about this crusade makes any sense.

I have been on the internet a long time too guy, and yeah turns out there is a certain percentage of the population that are really sociopaths, I don't believe they would be any less sociopathic if they couldn't play halo. I'm sure your super cool angelfire site was really popular though.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tribble wrote:I played the month that came with the game and have never looked back. There was no fucking 200 of unique class story hours per class as per the BioWare press release sucked down as gospel by the fucking reviewers. It only took 40ish hours to get to end game and 75% was rehashed for every character.

Every world, almost without exception had four areas, each of which was structured like this:

Main Quest (world to world, class based)
Planet Quest (that world only, area to area)

And the bullshit always making you face the boss up close in the initial start. Really kind of hard on the goddamn ranged/sniping Smugglers and Bounty Hunters!

Anyway, it could have been a great MMO. Instead it was totally mediocre and people dropped it like flies. We had over 200 people in our guild. By the last day I could play, less than 10 were still active in any meaningful way with the rest rarely logging in at all.

Which is why North America has gone from 214 servers to 8. And, at best, the traffic is merely 'standard' during peak and 'light' the rest of the time. And Europe is even worse. Only 3 servers left out of 180+, all of which are English language servers with the French, Spanish and German language servers being closed.
Well, that was the problem. Bioware should have focused on making fewer realms that could carry more players but they screwed it up. Since SWTOR didn't have Cross Realm capability like WoW, after a month or two after release the PvP suffered because people who had gone through the main campaign, done all the stuff, main quest, raids, etc, they quit, leaving realms emptier and emptier. After a while they were faced with several dozen dead realms or dying and they didn't have an exit strategy, and they had no plans of merging them either which meant that players who were playing on dead realms had to reroll on the more populated ones.

Which is ironic considering that during the first few months of release the more populated ones were so saturated that they had queues that ranged from ten to twenty minutes. So, faced with that dilemma players rolled on other less populated ones to avoid the queue which later turned into a quandary when the realm they rolled on died while the more populated one basically became a normal realm with a normal ratio. When they merged realms some months back just before the release of the Cartel patch, things got better. But the damage was already done. Because players had left in droves and they had no solution for the players left, and the subscriber count was diminishing, they had no choice but go free to play and add the "Cartel Market" for novelty items among other things. Merging the realms was something they should have done MUCH sooner. I'm talking during the mass exodus. They also should have given players who left incentive to return which they didn't do thus cementing the demise even further.

Now with the release of Galactic Starfighter, however, I think SWTOR is on the right track. Again. And I think if Bioware were to add new dialogue for characters instead of rehashing old ones making it very tedious when you play as a Sith Inquisitor and you hear the phrase, "That's not fear I smell, is it?" for the tenth million time, that would be nice too. Also, they should do something more with HK-51. With the amount of effort (and time, fucking hell) it takes to get one, you'd think they'd at least incorporate him into the game more than just make him a passive companion. Treek, same thing. If they're trying to sell the whole "fully voice-acted" shtick, they need to go all the way. Anyway. Rant over. (I still play it, by the way. Red Eclipse, Europe, or Shadowlands, NA. Mostly Empire side.)

sinister

Post by sinister »

https://twitter.com/Auragasmic/
Aspie.INTJ.Sex Positive & Intersectional Feminist.
Purveyor of the Socialist agenda & #ProChoice
Propaganda. INFOSEC. Atheist. Sith Lord. Feisty.
:cdc:

They really do all claim to have Asperger's don't they? Like it's a badge of honor or something.
I don't understand. Be fine with who you are, but don't let your disabilities be what defines you. :bjarte:

didymos

Post by didymos »

Oh, one thing that's funny is it turns out Zoe Quinn has a swastika tattoo:

[tweet]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwkwAMtIIAAK9xt.jpg[/tweet]

So, basically pick one option:

a. Nazi Iconography
b. Cultural Appropriation

Either way, she loses at Social Justice pretty damn hard.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:@ another lurker - All I really meant is that the various god powers and such make AoM much more fun that AoE. When you've got six or so drunk or stoned gamers around, it can be quite fun.

On the other hand, if you don't know Jackson's board game Munchins, you're an incomplete person. There's no other way to put it.
Munchkin? It's more than a board game, if that is what you mean. I've got a ton of the card decks, and expansions, and have loads of fun with the game. Play it a lot on our Saturday Night get-togethers.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

sinister wrote:https://twitter.com/Auragasmic/

They really do all claim to have Asperger's don't they? Like it's a badge of honor or something.
I don't understand. Be fine with who you are, but don't let your disabilities be what defines you. :bjarte:
That's what they were doing on the TFA thread about autism and deafness. The disability = who they are, therefore, treatment, for ANYONE with said disability = ableist.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

dogen wrote:
Given a Twitter userbase of ~300 million, is this sample of invective in any way surprising?

Fuck, I could incur just as much vitriol by tweeting about marmite. Wouldn't mean Yeast Culture is a thing.
I recall a recent screenshot that shows how some of those accounts threatening her are brand new with no followers and then deleted a few hours after the tweets are made. Kind of suspect, no?

didymos

Post by didymos »

Do Over:

Oh, one thing that's funny is it turns out Zoe Quinn has a swastika tattoo:

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwkwAMtIIAAK9xt.jpg
[/img]
So, basically pick one horrible, shitlord-esque option:

a. Nazi Iconography
b. Cultural Appropriation

windy

Post by windy »

sinister wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Mothers are being oppressed by society idealizing "home cooked meals"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... thers.html

So Mandy, and yes, we all knew it was Mandy who wrote this, doesn't list a single alternative to home cooked meals. What is she advocating for?

+ Mac and Cheese?
+ Meals on Wheels?
+ Takeout
+ McDonald's
+ Pizza
+ Denny's
+ A nice brew pub

She nicely puts in all on the mothers, (husbands and boyfriends are picky and worse than children). Gosh knows, I never cooked dinners for my kids while scheduling work, chores, and stuff!

And home cooked meals being difficult on the wallet? Yeah, fast food, dining out, and tv dinners are certainly more economical than making a pot of spaghetti, or making hamburgers at home, or what have you.

What on earth is the point of this article? What is she advocating for?
The Patriarchy?
Feeding tubes?

http://thebigpicturemagazine.com/wp-con ... m-food.jpg
--

That study she links to is an interesting example of social "science". What's it trying to be? Research article? Opinion?

http://ctx.sagepub.com/content/13/3/20.full
Over the past year and a half, our research team conducted in-depth interviews with 150 black, white, and Latina mothers from all walks of life. We also spent over 250 hours conducting ethnographic observations with 12 working-class and poor families.
Where are the results? All I see are some isolated observations from a few families, and vague generalisations. "Many of the poor mothers we met also lacked reliable transportation, and therefore typically shopped just once a month."

didymos

Post by didymos »

God Fucking Damn It. Fuck This Board!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwkwAMtIIAAK9xt.jpg

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

I doubt they have it. They probably think that since they can't understand how other people might have fun (for example) with something they don't like, then that means they have the "cool" disability these days. If we took all the self-professed Aspergers people on the internet, we'd probably have a real epidemic. I'd guess the majority of SJWs claim to have it, but that's just a guess. If it was real, Age of Autism might have a point about the autism epidemic. :lol:

didymos

Post by didymos »

Pitchguest wrote: I recall a recent screenshot that shows how some of those accounts threatening her are brand new with no followers and then deleted a few hours after the tweets are made. Kind of suspect, no?
Not really. It's called a "burner account". You know that shit is gonna get you banned, so you make a new account, say whatever against-the-rules shit you wanted to say, and abandon it to its inevitable early death.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

didymos wrote:God Fucking Damn It. Fuck This Board!

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwkwAMtIIAAK9xt.jpg]
You are oppressed. You should set up a kickstarter account and make a movie about it!

didymos

Post by didymos »

another lurker wrote:
didymos wrote:God Fucking Damn It. Fuck This Board!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwkwAMtIIAAK9xt.jpg
You are oppressed. You should set up a kickstarter account and make a movie about it!
Fuck you! Don't break MY img tags in your quotes! Appropriator!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

dogen

Post by dogen »

Badger3k wrote:

I doubt they have it. They probably think that since they can't understand how other people might have fun (for example) with something they don't like, then that means they have the "cool" disability these days. If we took all the self-professed Aspergers people on the internet, we'd probably have a real epidemic. I'd guess the majority of SJWs claim to have it, but that's just a guess. If it was real, Age of Autism might have a point about the autism epidemic. :lol:
Indeed. A+'s very own Grimalkin diagnosed itself with Asperger's.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Badger3k wrote:I doubt they have it. They probably think that since they can't understand how other people might have fun (for example) with something they don't like, then that means they have the "cool" disability these days. If we took all the self-professed Aspergers people on the internet, we'd probably have a real epidemic. I'd guess the majority of SJWs claim to have it, but that's just a guess. If it was real, Age of Autism might have a point about the autism epidemic. :lol:
I thought the self-diagnosed types were being called Assburgers now to differentiate them.

didymos

Post by didymos »

dogen wrote: Indeed. A+'s very own Grimalkin diagnosed itself with Asperger's.
It's big on Tumblr too. Some even go as far as saying that doubting self-diagnosed disorders is.....

OPPRESSION.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. The Twitter accounts Kraimer Paladin, dylan keirn and Joe Miller for instance. Both burner accounts. Kevin Dobson, the one she supposedly left her home for, the same thing. A burner account. The screenshot for the threats by Kevin Dobson were also taken 12 seconds after the latest tweet. Who took the screenshot? They weren't logged in and there was nothing in the search bar for either @kdobbsz or Kevin Dobson. Pardon me for being sceptical.

There's also another Twitter account in there called asdfssfds. Also a burner account. Also, the disclaimer for the account was "I love trolleing." Physioproffe?

Another one, strangerthief176. Burner. Delron Dathugg. Burner. MrTurtleCo. Burner. All of these are either suspended or deleted and all of them made tweets directed solely towards Anita Sarkeesian or Sarkeesian and Zoë Quinn. The rest who're legitimate haven't made threats against her nor assumed a hostile stance just because she's a woman on the internet. Many have, however, called her a "bitch" and a "cunt." But as we all know from reading the dictionary, "sexism" is treating one gender as inferior over the other. Unless Anita is urging for special treatment, I think the kind of backlash she's received (the one that isn't fabricated by either herself or her followers) to be quite tame.

However I wonder what she tries to accomplish by posting these things in the first place. I mean, wasn't the point about her receiving countless rape and death threats? Apart from the ones by Kevin Dobson, I see none. Is she expecting the cavalry to arrive to save her from scathing criticism and petty insults? Quite the damsel, isn't she?

didymos

Post by didymos »

The not being logged in thing is just people being stupid about how Twitter mobile apps work. Most of them will open a browser page if you click on a username, and you won't be logged in on the browser.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Scented Nectar wrote:
didymos wrote:
Wait a minute, she's not even an atheist?

Wait a minute, I'm surprised?
She's a feminist and a Muslim. True Islam isn't sexist, it's that Islam was hijacked by the patriarchy. :geek:

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

windy wrote:
sinister wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Mothers are being oppressed by society idealizing "home cooked meals"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... thers.html

So Mandy, and yes, we all knew it was Mandy who wrote this, doesn't list a single alternative to home cooked meals. What is she advocating for?

+ Mac and Cheese?
+ Meals on Wheels?
+ Takeout
+ McDonald's
+ Pizza
+ Denny's
+ A nice brew pub

She nicely puts in all on the mothers, (husbands and boyfriends are picky and worse than children). Gosh knows, I never cooked dinners for my kids while scheduling work, chores, and stuff!

And home cooked meals being difficult on the wallet? Yeah, fast food, dining out, and tv dinners are certainly more economical than making a pot of spaghetti, or making hamburgers at home, or what have you.

What on earth is the point of this article? What is she advocating for?
The Patriarchy?
Feeding tubes?

http://thebigpicturemagazine.com/wp-con ... m-food.jpg
--

That study she links to is an interesting example of social "science". What's it trying to be? Research article? Opinion?

http://ctx.sagepub.com/content/13/3/20.full
Over the past year and a half, our research team conducted in-depth interviews with 150 black, white, and Latina mothers from all walks of life. We also spent over 250 hours conducting ethnographic observations with 12 working-class and poor families.
Where are the results? All I see are some isolated observations from a few families, and vague generalisations. "Many of the poor mothers we met also lacked reliable transportation, and therefore typically shopped just once a month."
Yeah, not even a mention to any sort of other paper done about the data they obtained. They did obtain data right?

Of course, given my bias, what I observe is they didn't bother speaking to any fathers at all.
Over the past year and a half, our research team conducted in-depth interviews with 150 black, white, and Latina mothers from all walks of life
At least they give some suggestions as to what they want to see, which would be
So let’s move this conversation out of the kitchen, and brainstorm more creative solutions for sharing the work of feeding families. How about a revival of monthly town suppers, or healthy food trucks? Or perhaps we should rethink how we do meals in schools and workplaces, making lunch an opportunity for savoring and sharing food. Could schools offer to-go meals that families could easily heat up on busy weeknights? Without creative solutions like these, suggesting that we return to the kitchen en masse will do little more than increase the burden so many women already bear.
Charities and religious groups often offer free meals, and the Feds provide EBT, but hell this article suggests that even food banks are part of the patriarchal system oppressing mothers. And EBT is problematic. It can be used for terribly unhealthy foods, but it can't be used for medicine.

But I just dunno about repurposing schools to provide meals for families to take home, or having food trucks that can deliver healthy food right to the home.

I wonder why Mandy didn't bother mentioning these alternatives? I bet a lot of Slatesters would be okay with this.

As always I would support free birth control and plenty of sex ed classes, along with perhaps, some free courses in the dreaded "home economics".

(Just a plug for a group I think does some very cool things: near me is is the 3000 club, and in Tucson and Phoenix they distribute fruit and vegetables from Mexican farms that would somehow be tossed (it's never been clear to me why), for $10 for I believe 60 lbs of fresh produce that they suggest you share with all your neighbors. http://the3000club.org/index.php/progra ... n-the-move And you can pick up a box at their warehouses or at various churches each weekend.)

(And I've also thought Second Harvest a very good organization too.)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Garlix wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: One thing I noticed in medieval romance was the accounts mostly used weapons and armor as emblems of rank, which goes to the rigid class system. There weren't many stories I can think of where the knight used something other than a sword (arming sword) or lance, even though some of the stories were written in the late medieval period, when arming swords were falling out of favor and militias were becoming the future. This reality would have been at odds with the courtly ideals and beliefs a knight would have had about class structure.
In France, bearing a sword was the symbol and privilege (oops!) of Nobility right until the Revolution. You see paintings of salons from the late 18th century - and you can recognize the nobles as they actually carry a sword in the goddamn salon!

https://pages.wustl.edu/files/pages/sal ... nsalon.jpg (look for the long gray pointy things extending from their hips- sword sheaths).

Meanwhile in Medieval England, millions of commoners had longbows and were required to learn how to use them proficiently, leading to predictable ass-kicking of our precious heavy knights and mercenary crossbowmen during the Hundred Years' war. Thank god for gunpowder (and Joan of Arc-ekicker :dance: ).
That's not the actual 'why' (at least as I learned it). The actual why was France's army was feudal, disorganized, and the command structure a disaster while the English Army was a professional, well-organized and well-commanded army. Early on the differences were recognized, however, it took a lot of major defeats for the reforms attempted by King Jean and then Charles the V to sink in and started changing the French army.

Once the French went to a professional army under Charles the VII, and fielded it's superior field-artillery, that was it for the English and their pike/archer formations.

However, even as badly organized and lead as the French army was, they almost won at Agincourt which is why Henry V had the prisoners executed. Also, Agincourt wasn't won by the longbow of popular claim via Shakespeare and myth.

The truth is the French armor of that time was very much resistant to the English bodkin points in the critical areas ,though somewhat vulnerable to wounding on the limbs. It was the fact they were struggling, on foot, knee-deep in mud across 200+ yards while wearing extremely heavy armor, carry weapons, and struggling to breath through their closed visors that made them easy prey for the archers who, by the time the French got to the lines were mostly out of arrows, were quite able to slaughter them with heavy weapons that out-reached the exhausted knights far shorter arms and otherwise move-away from counterattack due to superior mobility and freshness.

Think about it. You probably weigh all of 150lbs. You're carrying your weapons, your shield and 50lbs of plate armor. You're 'charging' through 200 yards of mud on foot. Your weapons are, probably, a broadsword and a dagger which are fine from horse, but not-so-fine against infantry with larger weapons. So by the time you get to the English lines, you've been hammered like crazy by tens of thousands of arrows from the 5000 English longbowmen. Even if the arrows didn't kill you, they hit hard and staggered you, maybe even wounded you. The few horses still alive are trampling anyone in sight. You're exhausted. You can't see. You can't breath very well.

And now you have these incredibly strong bowmen who have set their bows aside and are beating you to a pulp heavy axes, sledges, mallets, billhooks, etc. while you can't reach them...

Yeah, it was a slaughter. But still, the French second-line rallied behind the Duke of Brabant and almost carried the day. So in the end, it was a very close thing and had the third line advanced through woods instead of fleeing the battle, Agincourt would have a different story to it.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Hey, MoJo and the Atlantic and the Boston Globe agree with em: bring back Home Economics

http://i.imgur.com/UwbmEJf.jpg

For Maximum Feminist Trolling against the White House I wish I could get 4chan on a White House petition for that.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Oafie is on a CH Sommers obsession quest
Inventing words, dangerous stuff, I can see why Oafie wold see that as thugish behaviour.

Does she know that thug is an oppressive colonial term, coming out of the British Imperial rule of India?