Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Kirbmarc »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Maybe you all have noted this already, but I was chatting with a lawyer friend who pointed out that Sarkeesian (or whomever is really controlling all this) is either smarter than he or she appears or is really fucking lucky. The tweet asking for donations does not directly reference the threats that supposedly drove her from her house. Therefore, if and when it comes out that she orchestrated the tweets, those who donated in response to the subsequent request will not be able to (successfully) sue for fraud and she'll get to keep the money.

Now off to see what the FtBers thought of T-f00t's video.
Sarkeesian is a con artist, so I don't doubt it's very deliberate.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I claim Friday, Oct 10th.
Only one person can claim a given date, but everyone thinking it will never happen can be together in one "never" group. The prize will be a virtual t-shirt from Mykeru, torn into shreds if the "never" group wins.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Badger3k wrote:BTW, I know there are different rules for teachers at different levels (college, graduate, etc is different than high school obviously), but it's still (from my experience) viewed as a breach of professional ethics if nothing else. Now, his bosses may have known about it, but without prodding many institutions will just avoid conflict until their hand is forced. Sorry, my background makes that particular subject one I feel strongly about.
I only have three data points on this, really two. But basically it points to: mostly frowned upon maybe not even that. I think it truly depends on the time and place.

+ IIRC, Hugo Schwyzer at his blog retailed many many times he slept with his students. In class, on field trips HE WAS CHAPERONING, etc. WHEN IT BECAME KNOWN to other faculty members, he was first told to make sure it didn't become known by the Administration. When it became known by the Administration, the Administration tasked him with writing up the policy against it.

+ Early 80s when I was in college at a school that had no graduate students, turned out that one of my professors had married one of his students. I met their children. No wait, wait, that wasn't correct. It actually wasn't HIS child, it was the child of another of the professors. THAT professor's children were my first professor's children. Turned out they had swapped wives, permanent like. And yes, at least one of the women was a former undergraduate student. This was common knowledge, cause I certainly had no ability to find out secrets. And there was no common knowledge of any punishments and both these professors were highly esteemed.

As far as other data goes, recent scandals involving claimed sexual harassment certainly seems to indicate there is a lot of hanky panky between professors and their graduate students. There's Colin McGinn and the Philosopher's Bone, then the biologists getting all rapey on their field trips.

So much of this seems to go on, that if it is considered a breach of professional ethics, it's a 3rd degree misdemeanor at best.

(I've always been amazed that Hugo would sleep with FOUR students on a field trip that he had explicitly been given the responsibility to CHAPERONE (and that the school didn't fire his ass then and there.))

http://globalcomment.com/why-do-some-fe ... e-abusers/#
Schwyzer has written prolifically, and controversially, about recovering from sex and drug addictions, his now 13-year sobriety, and his ”pre-sobriety” predatory behavior towards younger female students – including, at one point, sleeping with four students on a class trip he was chaperoning. The current backlash against him, set in motion by yet another article recounting this troubling history, took on unprecedented intensity after the resurfacing of a post, originally written a year ago, in which Schwyzer admitted to nearly killing a former girlfriend in a drug-fueled murder-suicide attempt.
Side note: at the time he was writing this shit about sleeping with four students on the field trip he was #MaleFeminist not #MaleFeministImpression and feminists were rationalizing his behavior.

Anyway, tl;dr holy shit was my pitiful virgin brain shocked on finding out my two physics professors were sleeping with students and swapping wives.

didymos

Post by didymos »

didymos

Post by didymos »

Pitchguest wrote:
Trophy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:But that's a point. I wonder what Ken Levine thinks about Bioshock being put under the "misogynist" category simply because of one scene in it, the reason for which gets fleshed out later. (I don't want to go into anymore detail because people here still hasn't played it and it truly is one of the best games ever made and you have to play it yourself to find out why.)
Wait, what scene is that? Bioshock is one of the really good games (not as good as System Shock 2 but still pretty okay).
This scene:

To others who haven't played the game, trust me it plays a significant role. It isn't just a woman in the background.
Of course, to her it doesn't matter. It's still sexist for some reason. She just has to find another one.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Badger3k wrote:BTW, I know there are different rules for teachers at different levels (college, graduate, etc is different than high school obviously), but it's still (from my experience) viewed as a breach of professional ethics if nothing else. Now, his bosses may have known about it, but without prodding many institutions will just avoid conflict until their hand is forced. Sorry, my background makes that particular subject one I feel strongly about.
I only have three data points on this, really two. But basically it points to: mostly frowned upon maybe not even that. I think it truly depends on the time and place.

+ IIRC, Hugo Schwyzer at his blog retailed many many times he slept with his students. In class, on field trips HE WAS CHAPERONING, etc. WHEN IT BECAME KNOWN to other faculty members, he was first told to make sure it didn't become known by the Administration. When it became known by the Administration, the Administration tasked him with writing up the policy against it.

+ Early 80s when I was in college at a school that had no graduate students, turned out that one of my professors had married one of his students. I met their children. No wait, wait, that wasn't correct. It actually wasn't HIS child, it was the child of another of the professors. THAT professor's children were my first professor's children. Turned out they had swapped wives, permanent like. And yes, at least one of the women was a former undergraduate student. This was common knowledge, cause I certainly had no ability to find out secrets. And there was no common knowledge of any punishments and both these professors were highly esteemed.

As far as other data goes, recent scandals involving claimed sexual harassment certainly seems to indicate there is a lot of hanky panky between professors and their graduate students. There's Colin McGinn and the Philosopher's Bone, then the biologists getting all rapey on their field trips.

So much of this seems to go on, that if it is considered a breach of professional ethics, it's a 3rd degree misdemeanor at best.

(I've always been amazed that Hugo would sleep with FOUR students on a field trip that he had explicitly been given the responsibility to CHAPERONE (and that the school didn't fire his ass then and there.))

http://globalcomment.com/why-do-some-fe ... e-abusers/#
Schwyzer has written prolifically, and controversially, about recovering from sex and drug addictions, his now 13-year sobriety, and his ”pre-sobriety” predatory behavior towards younger female students – including, at one point, sleeping with four students on a class trip he was chaperoning. The current backlash against him, set in motion by yet another article recounting this troubling history, took on unprecedented intensity after the resurfacing of a post, originally written a year ago, in which Schwyzer admitted to nearly killing a former girlfriend in a drug-fueled murder-suicide attempt.
Side note: at the time he was writing this shit about sleeping with four students on the field trip he was #MaleFeminist not #MaleFeministImpression and feminists were rationalizing his behavior.

Anyway, tl;dr holy shit was my pitiful virgin brain shocked on finding out my two physics professors were sleeping with students and swapping wives.
Unfortunately, I can believe you. We did have one married teacher sleep with one of his student aides (a graduate student, IIRC), with I believe a divorce and marriage involved. It was still something of a shock and we were all surprised when nothing was done about it. When I became a teacher myself, it hardened my feelings towards such thing. It's one thing for two consenting adults to do what they want, but when one of them is a student in the same class that the teacher is teaching...Nah. Shouldn't be done. It's like a boss sleeping with one of their employees - completely fine if consensual, but the whole "conflict of interests" (not sure if that's correct) just makes it wrong. Obviously, having a family business where the married couple owns the whole thing is different.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

didymos wrote:
No, I can't see how believing in a fantasy can be harmful in real life. Maybe something to do with a lack of rationality and critical thinking...

Nah. Can't see the harm myself. :doh:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

didymos wrote:
To be fair, believing in SJW values is actually worse than believing in djinns.

didymos

Post by didymos »

didymos

Post by didymos »

Badger3k wrote: Not only is that a mess, but some of the information is not even real - like the "doxxing" of Zoe Quinn. It's been shown that the information was fake, yet since it doesn't fit the narrative, that fact seems to be completely ignored.
She did get doxxed proper after the fake one.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

didymos wrote:
Wait a minute, she's not even an atheist?

Wait a minute, I'm surprised?

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Well here's an article that should make Atheist+ and Gamers+ Ecstatic, make skeptical Atheists happy while annoying atheist Skeptics.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... on-patents
http://i.imgur.com/WjGbIfz.jpg

Are science and religion doomed to eternal "warfare," or can they just get along? Philosophers, theologians, scientists, and atheists debate this subject endlessly (and often, angrily). We hear a lot less from economists on the matter, however. But in a recent paper, Princeton economist Roland Bénabou and two colleagues unveiled a surprising finding that would at least appear to bolster the "conflict" camp: Both across countries and also across US states, higher levels of religiosity are related to lower levels of scientific innovation.

"Places with higher levels of religiosity have lower rates of scientific and technical innovation, as measured by patents per capita," comments Bénabou. He adds that the pattern persists "when controlling for differences in income per capita, population, and rates of higher education."

http://i.imgur.com/gOQGGkt.jpg
So seriously, where is Israel? It's a Jewish State but in many ways I am led to believe it's a very non-practicing Jewish State.

Anyway, this is another instantiation of the patented Chris Mooney "Republican brains be stoopid, science prooves it" and "Relgisous brains be stoopid, science prooves it" template.

Correlation something something causation. I forget how that goes.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

didymos wrote:
Badger3k wrote: Not only is that a mess, but some of the information is not even real - like the "doxxing" of Zoe Quinn. It's been shown that the information was fake, yet since it doesn't fit the narrative, that fact seems to be completely ignored.
She did get doxxed proper after the fake one.
Really? I hadn't heard of that. The only one I knew about was the fake, so I never clicked the link - maybe that was the real one, then?

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Pitchguest wrote:
Trophy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:But that's a point. I wonder what Ken Levine thinks about Bioshock being put under the "misogynist" category simply because of one scene in it, the reason for which gets fleshed out later. (I don't want to go into anymore detail because people here still hasn't played it and it truly is one of the best games ever made and you have to play it yourself to find out why.)
Wait, what scene is that? Bioshock is one of the really good games (not as good as System Shock 2 but still pretty okay).
This scene:

To others who haven't played the game, trust me it plays a significant role. It isn't just a woman in the background.
Thanks but Da fuq? I might not be the multi-thousand dollar feminist here but I don't think that qualifies as "women in the background".
It actually was a crucial scene in the story as it reveals the corruption behind the supposedly very "pure" and "ideological" Ryan.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Scented Nectar wrote:
didymos wrote:

Well, even atheist cans believe in ghosts and other shit, so it's still a possibility.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Guest wrote:This one's for Anita. It has everything....damsels in distress, big tits, a raging gamer...did I mention the tits? And worst of all, it seems like a lot of fun.

See, this is the problem with SJW's. In a world where they ruled the narratives, those kinds of games wouldn't exist.

Personally it's not my cup of tea, but I don't have a problem with it. And that's okay. Because there ought to be games out there - just like with art and films - that are completely honest and shameless in what they want to portray. This one wants you to go through the traps and obstacles to be rewarded with some T&A. PERFECTLY FINE.

There's another game, MMO, called Scarlet Blade, which is one of the most shameless games I've ever played. It's composed of different classes of Arkana, all female, all dressed in provocative or revealing clothing or armour. The games dialogue is filled with sexual innuendo and it's not trying to shy away from that at all. In fact, at the beginning stage you get a tiny avatar to help you through the missions and afterwards she provides a quip about spanking or tying you up. It's hosted on Aeria Games and you have the option to open a loot box every six hours for a chance to get an item that allows you to fully undress your character (at level 18, of course), or buy it from the Aeria Games store with real money. There's nothing unique about it apart from the all-female setting, it actually reminds me of Rising Force Online in its execution, but I think it's brilliant. However apart from the design (which is gratuitous to the extreme) they also have a great sound design and when you play as a sniper it really packs a punch. (They also recently added their first male Arkana, which as you might expect from its anime-like appearance is a bishie with an Australian accent. [At least in the English version.])

Anyway. The point is, with SJW influence this game would have been stricken from the record before its conception due to sexism and/or misogyny. Never to be seen by the waking eye. I fear for the day when SJW's achieve that kind of power.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

JacquesCuze wrote:Well here's an article that should make Atheist+ and Gamers+ Ecstatic, make skeptical Atheists happy while annoying atheist Skeptics.

http://i.imgur.com/WjGbIfz.jpg

Are science and religion doomed to eternal "warfare," or can they just get along? Philosophers, theologians, scientists, and atheists debate this subject endlessly (and often, angrily). We hear a lot less from economists on the matter, however. But in a recent paper, Princeton economist Roland Bénabou and two colleagues unveiled a surprising finding that would at least appear to bolster the "conflict" camp: Both across countries and also across US states, higher levels of religiosity are related to lower levels of scientific innovation.

"Places with higher levels of religiosity have lower rates of scientific and technical innovation, as measured by patents per capita," comments Bénabou. He adds that the pattern persists "when controlling for differences in income per capita, population, and rates of higher education."

http://i.imgur.com/gOQGGkt.jpg
So seriously, where is Israel? It's a Jewish State but in many ways I am led to believe it's a very non-practicing Jewish State.

Anyway, this is another instantiation of the patented Chris Mooney "Republican brains be stoopid, science prooves it" and "Relgisous brains be stoopid, science prooves it" template.

Correlation something something causation. I forget how that goes.
At the risk of staring another diatribe(s), the last I had heard, there are a lot of orthodox and worse Jews, and in one of the last elections (haven't kept up, so I don't know the current state), the religious party (or one that supports these morons) won more seats/power. While it is currently somewhat secular and democratic (I recall a shitstorm when it was decided that the orthodox parasites couldn't get out of mandatory military derive anymore), I'm not sure that it will stay that way. I originally would say with a certainty that it wouldn't, but I'm not that certain anymore (more for lack of current readings of the politics there, haven't been interested).

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Mykeru wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
Graphics are quirky, but overall good. I'm on a PS4 so it's 1080P @ 60FPS with absolutely no slowdown. I'm sure the PC version looks better than the PS4 if you have a rig for it, and worse if your computer is >2 years old (increasingly with age obviously).

Good: the lighting is beautiful. Especially 'global lighting' in the outside areas, and also the pocket lighter, and even the JJ Abrams lens flairs can be forgiven because they're well crafted. Much better UI than the first Metro 2033. Redid all the voiceover animation to have the same guy do both games.

Basically it brings the first Metro game up to par with the second one, and then improves both just slightly. The second game is from last year, so this is really a good deal for 50$ in my opinion.

Bad: Minor clipping issues. It's not as breath-taking as Last Of Us Remastered. Burning spiderwebs animation is terrible (yet infrequent). The spiderweb just lifts up completely in-tact - what the fuck? No multiplayer.

I'm enjoying it. I'd say Wolfenstein The New Order is similar in many ways. If you hated that, avoid this.
I will give Metro Redux a try, if the improvements actually make it run faster. Also, Wolfenstein The New Order looks fairly sick. I remember back in the day having to endlessly fiddle with my autoexec.bat and config.sys to get Wolfie 3D to run.

However, and this is where the forum is really slipping and none of you are providing actual useful information, which gave has the most gratuitous violence against women and is especially rapey? If neither, then fuck it, because as a cis white male, that's all that really interests me.
Stay away from Blue Hell Bar.

http://i.imgur.com/z6QkQ.jpg

Parody Accountant

Mykeru wrote:
another lurker wrote:Wolfenatein was the first FPS I ever played and I loved it. For some reason I missed out on Doom.
I did Doom and Doom II. How's Doom 3? I was looking at that on Amazon/Steam but the fuckers had no digital download capability.
I'd recommend against it. It was okay. Dark (to a fault, actually).

id software revolutionized games. Then valve caught up. Then the industry passed them altogether. The reboot of Wolfenstein was much more successful because another company bought the IP. They even scrapped the existing doom 4 iteration (now simply 'Doom') and went back to the drawing board. I can't wait for the beta, it came with my Wolfenstein PS4!

Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

/thread.

Post by guest »

Mibbe he can't be f*cked spending more on a lawyer after everything you put him through?

http://www.anony.ws/i/2014/09/04/cow.png

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Trophy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Trophy wrote:
This scene:

Thanks but Da fuq? I might not be the multi-thousand dollar feminist here but I don't think that qualifies as "women in the background".
It actually was a crucial scene in the story as it reveals the corruption behind the supposedly very "pure" and "ideological" Ryan.
Exactly. It also reveals something else (won't spoil anymore than that), but to Anita that's all it is. She includes Bioshock in a list of 25 games that have scenes with the singular purpose to arouse male gamers and compel them to "treat female bodies to be acted upon" and that one scene from Bioshock is apparently one of them. It's a perversion of the entire plot of the game. According to people like Joss Whedon, though, it's "just truth-telling" and we should just "deal" with it.

Nevermind that Joss Whedon has been guilty of the exact same tropes, as evidenced in Thunderf00t's latest video, that Anita is decrying. Nevermind that she has previously criticised Joss Whedon's work in the past, like Buffy, Angel or the Dollhouse. Evidently all water under the bridge now because he publicly supported her on Twitter. Anita's not one for principles.

Parody Accountant

Re:

sinister wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
sinister wrote: So, minorities are all oppressed and junk, and I speak for them, but I can also totally dismiss any criticism by saying the minorities are fake. I do this, as a white man, for you? This hashtag really helps put on display just how racist, bigoted, and hate filled the SJWs are.
You so totally plagiarized me. Except for that whole cis white male "time's arrow" thing.
HAHA Great minds? Nah. That wouldn't be skeptical of me. I probably did plagiarize you. I'm a dick that way.
Aspie / retard moment. What's the point of #notyourshield ? I want to get the joke too!

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Badger3k wrote: At the risk of staring another diatribe(s), the last I had heard, there are a lot of orthodox and worse Jews, and in one of the last elections (haven't kept up, so I don't know the current state), the religious party (or one that supports these morons) won more seats/power. While it is currently somewhat secular and democratic (I recall a shitstorm when it was decided that the orthodox parasites couldn't get out of mandatory military derive anymore), I'm not sure that it will stay that way. I originally would say with a certainty that it wouldn't, but I'm not that certain anymore (more for lack of current readings of the politics there, haven't been interested).
So I am a conservative Jew. Some would say I am a conservadox Jew based on the temple I grew up in and what they taught. But mostly, I am a non-practicing, agnostic, Jew. Still, though I am mostly non-practicing, when I am in a Reform temple, well, come on, they may as well be goys. And when I am in an Orthodox temple, wow, that's some serious shit.

My understanding is that many Israelis are largely non-practicing. "I live in Israel, I don't need to go to shul".

So in the indicated graphic, I just don't see Israel at all. Maybe it's in the data, and maybe I am missing it, but I really am curious where it would be in the graphic.

I think Israel, wherever the researchers placed it is located is evidence there are many religious very innovative people where their religion doesn't harm their science one bit.

For that matter, what percentage of Jewish Nobel Prize winners were religious?
(What percentage of Jewish Sports Legends were religious?)

I would have thought, I have no facts to base this on, that China is more religious than its place on the map indicates. And that India is similarly misplaced either in terms of religiosity or in terms of innovation.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Guest wrote:This one's for Anita. It has everything....damsels in distress, big tits, a raging gamer...did I mention the tits? And worst of all, it seems like a lot of fun.

I'd tweet it to her, but she blocked me after this:

Parody Accountant

Tribble wrote:
Razor 1911. I used them as a 'try before I buy' and not a 'steal shit and never pay for it' thing. Basically, if I liked it (Star Control II, Civ 1, etc.) I bought it. If I didn't, i deleted it.

Once I got out of college, the risk of losing my professional license was too great for even that. So I took up video game rentals on the PC instead. That worked great for a few years. But that was wrecked with installation codes instead of simple disk checks and I went to professional reviews before they became corrupted by big studios.

Now I look at player scores on meta critic and don't give a damn what the 'professionals' say about a game.
Zoe "The Mighty" Quinn can review games on metacritic. So can her socks. No burgers and fries needed.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Reading the Comics Curmudgeon, a new Mary Worth sums up the SJW mindset perfectly:

http://joshreads.com/images/14/09/i140903maryworth.jpg

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

That should be "treat female bodies AS OBJECTS to be acted upon"

Post by Guest »

sinister wrote:
Guest wrote:Apologies for the double post. Was too impatient.
Iol had to get back to your game?
Yeah, just can't stop swinging my lightsabre.

(Dammit, SWTOR had so much potential. Bastard shareholders.)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Badger3k wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
didymos wrote:

Well, even atheist cans believe in ghosts and other shit, so it's still a possibility.
Ghosts and homeopathy maybe, but it seems religious to believe in a mythical magical character from the religion that she was raised to believe. I have a hard time considering that atheist even though technically only gods are covered in the definition. Belief in angels, devils, xenu, earth spirits, etc. are just as religiously based as god beliefs. No different than god beliefs.

Technically, an non-atheist only refers to believers of a god character from religions, but belief in any of the magical characters from religions seems pretty much the same thing.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Razor 1911. I used them as a 'try before I buy' and not a 'steal shit and never pay for it' thing. Basically, if I liked it (Star Control II, Civ 1, etc.) I bought it. If I didn't, i deleted it.

Once I got out of college, the risk of losing my professional license was too great for even that. So I took up video game rentals on the PC instead. That worked great for a few years. But that was wrecked with installation codes instead of simple disk checks and I went to professional reviews before they became corrupted by big studios.

Now I look at player scores on meta critic and don't give a damn what the 'professionals' say about a game.
Zoe "The Mighty" Quinn can review games on metacritic. So can her socks. No burgers and fries needed.
Never heard of meteoritic before...a short time ago. Heard it through podcasts mostly. I hear about games through Game Informer or youtube channels like IGN, but a lot comes through just people uploading their play. If I hear about a game and it looks interesting, I'll prefer to get my info from actual gameplay, interviews, or people playing it (if it is released, beta, whatever). I don't usually bother with gaming news sites for anything. Never heard of some of the sites that were shown to be down in traffic.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Badger3k wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
didymos wrote:

No, she's a muslim. She spends a lot of time arguing that Islam isn't sexist or homophobic with people on Twitter.

Parody Accountant

another lurker wrote:BTW, zenbabe is a girl, as am I. We both play games.

WHERE ARE OUR BROWNIE POINTS FOR BEING GIRL-GAMERS, OR GAMER-GIRLS, MOTHERFUCKERS???
*tips fedora*
I apologize for the brutish nature of my colleagues, m'lady.
http://i.giftrunk.com/r1hkt8.gif

Neckbeard Clarence appreciates you for who you are: beautiful female types. I will protect you from the ignorant masses, my good lady. I say, "Nay! Chivalry is not dead!"

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

didymos wrote:
Good position for an atheist skeptic to hold: "Believe doesn't hurt anyone."

[youtube]oDrgSTiBY2k[/youtube]

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Pitchguest wrote:Exactly. It also reveals something else (won't spoil anymore than that), but to Anita that's all it is. She includes Bioshock in a list of 25 games that have scenes with the singular purpose to arouse male gamers and compel them to "treat female bodies to be acted upon" and that one scene from Bioshock is apparently one of them. It's a perversion of the entire plot of the game. According to people like Joss Whedon, though, it's "just truth-telling" and we should just "deal" with it.
You can't blame her really. She didn't actually play the game. You can't really expect a recent graduate of Google University to know her stuff.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Where Radford discovers the Karen who bedded him in SF was really an incorporeal figment of his own imagination.

Because as we all know right at that time the real KS had enacted a personal coms ban and was fleeing obsessive stalking ......

http://i.imgur.com/Cnf19an.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

No, she's a muslim. She spends a lot of time arguing that Islam isn't sexist or homophobic with people on Twitter.
Good luck with that.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Parody Accountant wrote:
another lurker wrote:BTW, zenbabe is a girl, as am I. We both play games.

WHERE ARE OUR BROWNIE POINTS FOR BEING GIRL-GAMERS, OR GAMER-GIRLS, MOTHERFUCKERS???
*tips fedora*
I apologize for the brutish nature of my colleagues, m'lady.
[img]http://i.giftrunk.com/r1hkt8.gif

Neckbeard Clarence appreciates you for who you are: beautiful female types. I will protect you from the ignorant masses, my good lady. I say, "Nay! Chivalry is not dead!"
Mykeru is sending me a pussy pass. He is a true gentleman.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

windy

Post by windy »

JacquesCuze wrote:Well here's an article that should make Atheist+ and Gamers+ Ecstatic, make skeptical Atheists happy while annoying atheist Skeptics.

What are you on about? Mooney used to be firmly in the accommodationist "no conflict between science and religion" camp, so if anything he has patented the opposite of the latter expression. I assume that's why he added the "...after all" in the title.

And I don't know why it should "make Atheist+ and Gamers+ ecstatic"- isn't this sort of thing a bit too close for comfort to Dawkins' tweets about how few Nobel prizes go to Muslim countries?

Southern

Post by Southern »

austin wrote:WTF? PZ is more obsessed with Thundef00t, than TF is with Sarkeesian. This from the man who said he wouldn't ever bother to comment on TF after fTB collectively dissed him and McCarthied him out, because he really didn't care what TF thinks anyway. And he tells his SJWs how to think, of course they follow like lemmings. The faux apoplectic reaction is hilarious.

SJWs really don't like their hypocrisy and BS pointed out to them, do they?
Since Becky apparently doesn't want to play mermaid to his little squid, maybe PZ thinks Thunderfoot could do it.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

didymos wrote:No, she's a muslim. She spends a lot of time arguing that Islam isn't sexist or homophobic with people on Twitter.
Holy shit!!!! In current times, islam is probably the most sexist and anti-gay of all the current major religions. Religions, and the theocracies they run, are the only place one can truly find patriarchal laws where women are property and an actual rape culture (forced marriages plus rape victims are killed if they tell). I consider forced marriages to be a mix of sexual slavery and labour slavery. and Nerd considers herself a feminist!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!!?!?

Fucking bizarro world. How does that work?

Plus her religion promotes the killing of blasphemers and infidels (like all her atheist friends over at fftb) when their holy rule books are followed, and they are often followed in islamic theocracies. What the fuck is wrong with her?

Parody Accountant

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Latest at FTB:

* Recently-minted M.D., Walter Mitty Avicenna, is already performing abortions (or at least posting bloody pix thereof);

* Heinie Dhadhabhoy is cross because two guys she met at an online kink sex site keep asking her to dominate them. This has ruined feminism;

* Ed Brayton apologizes on behalf of the white race;

* Peezus apologizes on behalf of the white race;

* Alex Gabriel fancies himself a graphic artist;

* Ophie reads an article in the New York Times, then quotes it in its entirety;

* Dana Hunter can't even;

* Dick Carrier talks about himself;

* Miri Mentalcaseski is still off her meds, so the world needs to stop being mean to her.

Slow news day.
Please do this every week. 9/10. Let out a short heavy breath through my nostrils, and nodded approvingly.

James Caruthers

http://38.media.tumblr.com/48e798509602 ... 1_1280.jpg

"Made of rape."

I must have missed that part in Witcher 2, but the game was buggy as fuck and essentially broke my save file, so who knows. I know it was trying to be darker, more realistic and more violent than most video game fantasy worlds.

I can't wait until SJWs start trying to ban dark fantasy because of all the raep and violence (against women, violence against men is fine.)

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

windy wrote:

What are you on about? Mooney used to be firmly in the accommodationist "no conflict between science and religion" camp, so if anything he has patented the opposite of the latter expression. I assume that's why he added the "...after all" in the title.

And I don't know why it should "make Atheist+ and Gamers+ ecstatic"- isn't this sort of thing a bit too close for comfort to Dawkins' tweets about how few Nobel prizes go to Muslim countries?
Ah, so yours is an interesting perspective, and there's probably a great deal of truth to it.

In my experience Mooney has always been in the camp of Science Proves Conservative Brains Are Damaged and Stupid and constantly pushes any kind of crap that forwards that agenda.

This lets Mooney and the many progressive sites that print his shit all feel good about themselves. Very smug. But as I've said in the past never seems to take into account

+ how many people as they grow older find their views have shifted from liberal to conservative
+ how many immigrants from repressive regimes come to the US and then become conservatives.

(And I count myself as pretty darn liberal myself. (though far more sympathetic to libertarianism than before))

So I might be wrong as you say, he may have moved from accommodationist to non-accomodationist, my interpretation is this is all aligned with his "people who disagree with me be provably stoopid" agenda.

James Caruthers

Kirbmarc wrote:
Good luck with that.
"When a man mounts another man, the throne of God shakes”
Seems like a pretty cool super power.

sinister

Post by sinister »

"Made of rape" Good thing that word is meaningless or the Witcher 3 would be a pretty odd game.

Apples

Post by Apples »

didymos wrote:What gets me about Dana Hunter is that she still thinks LOLcats are cool.
http://i.imgur.com/WcXmcpi.jpg?1

sinister

Post by sinister »

At this point I don't believe there is any point in trying to "have a conversation" with SJWs. The "Remain positive" bullshit people think is going to help this battle, isn't. No one is going to notice you being nice when the other person is shouting about rape and bigotry. There is no discussion going on, just people who heard about something online, and decided "it feels right." Then it's decided.

There are some shit stains that manage the label of human out there, and I hate to inform you it's not the gamers.

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

JacquesCuze wrote: I think Israel, wherever the researchers placed it is located is evidence there are many religious very innovative people where their religion doesn't harm their science one bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson's_paradox

Taken as wholes, the US and Israel are highly religious (relatively to other western societies). They are also highly innovative. But when you look down at the within-country level, you see that its actually the non-religious people who do all the inventing and sciencey stuff.
Great question. Right now I can't name one, but I suppose there must have been some.

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Stay away from Blue Hell Bar.

http://i.imgur.com/z6QkQ.jpg

I wouldn't do that if I were you, because that dude at the bar reminds me furiously of someone... unsavory.

http://www.graphixia.cssgn.org/wp-conte ... h_fans.png

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

These people. They just...words fail me.

It was behaviour like this - and they all do it - that showed me how ugly the heart of progressives can be.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

didymos wrote:
Unless you believe the Jews lost the first world war, AM I RITE

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

James Caruthers wrote: One thing I noticed in medieval romance was the accounts mostly used weapons and armor as emblems of rank, which goes to the rigid class system. There weren't many stories I can think of where the knight used something other than a sword (arming sword) or lance, even though some of the stories were written in the late medieval period, when arming swords were falling out of favor and militias were becoming the future. This reality would have been at odds with the courtly ideals and beliefs a knight would have had about class structure.
In France, bearing a sword was the symbol and privilege (oops!) of Nobility right until the Revolution. You see paintings of salons from the late 18th century - and you can recognize the nobles as they actually carry a sword in the goddamn salon!

https://pages.wustl.edu/files/pages/sal ... nsalon.jpg (look for the long gray pointy things extending from their hips- sword sheaths).

Meanwhile in Medieval England, millions of commoners had longbows and were required to learn how to use them proficiently, leading to predictable ass-kicking of our precious heavy knights and mercenary crossbowmen during the Hundred Years' war. Thank god for gunpowder (and Joan of Arc-ekicker :dance: ).

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Garlix wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote: I think Israel, wherever the researchers placed it is located is evidence there are many religious very innovative people where their religion doesn't harm their science one bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson's_paradox

Taken as wholes, the US and Israel are highly religious (relatively to other western societies). They are also highly innovative. But when you look down at the within-country level, you see that its actually the non-religious people who do all the inventing and sciencey stuff.
Great question. Right now I can't name one, but I suppose there must have been some.
I just don't know about the bolded part.

I've certainly met a lot of very smart Jews at temples when I've been drug there for family reasons. Ph.Ds., founders of companies, bioinformatics, software companies, etc. And I've also met many practicing Orthodox or even Chabadniks at work who I felt produced some of the best work. And they stood out, not just because of their work, but because they were practicing even at work.

All my impressions, no real data, but I just don't know. However, I suspect in Israel, there are even many more innovative observant practicing Jews just because it's so much easier.

didymos

Post by didymos »

James Caruthers wrote:http://38.media.tumblr.com/48e798509602 ... 1_1280.jpg

"Made of rape."

I must have missed that part in Witcher 2, but the game was buggy as fuck and essentially broke my save file, so who knows. I know it was trying to be darker, more realistic and more violent than most video game fantasy worlds.

I can't wait until SJWs start trying to ban dark fantasy because of all the raep and violence (against women, violence against men is fine.)
Oh, fuck her. I know for a fact she's played both games (there's a video from a lecture she did on Youtube, terribly researched and very tendentious, about them), so this is just straight up lying. Yes, rape comes up in the games. They're set in a late-medieval society. Lots of horrible stuff comes up. No, it's never shown on-screen. There are two instances of threatened rape in the first game, both of which you prevent, and you can find out about two others in the past if you ask the right people the right questions. You learn about three women who were raped in the second game, all after the fact. This adds up to a few minutes out of probably 80-100 hours of gameplay total. "Made of rape". Please.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Oh, she's straight lying about the trailer too. Here's the only one that has anything remotely close:

[youtube]c0i88t0Kacs[/youtube]

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Oh fuck, The Witcher is also on my list. Kinky sex, right? I also wanna play Titan Quest...finish up the Gothic and Divine Divnity series...

Divine Divinity was supposed to be a Diablo clone, but it was waaay the fuck better. Really fun, and I have never been a fan of top down RPG/s

Anyone play Fable? The scene with the hookers is great.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Daniel Kahneman was a practicing Jew in the early 1960s (when we was a member of the minyan for my brother's bris).

didymos

Post by didymos »

Here's her awful lecture, which is bizarrely condescending to Poland, in addition to getting basic facts about the novels the games are based on wrong:

[youtube]PQKpH_ujwkc[/youtube]

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Some awesome trolling of the Steam forum for Attention Quest:
http://i.imgur.com/TqOGIpd.png