Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
BlueShiftRhino

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

pps. "don't tell women not to take naked selfies; teach men not to hack iPhones and clouds"

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

austin wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Wait, are there still people around who think Obama wanted single payer?

Of course he didn't. Like most of his Democrat colleagues in politics, he wants what big business tells him to want.
I don't think he ever did either, or was murky at best at what he wanted. But the fact that it didn't happen wasn't his doing, that's all I'm saying. Even if he had pushed for it, don't think it would have mattered anyway, not with the insurance interests dollars at play.
If you go through Obama's career, you'll find, from his earliest days in the Illinois legislature till this very day he has been a bag of hot air that gives pretty speeches for the Democratic Plebs while he protects corporate interests. I think the only reason he's not a Republican is because he was from Chicago and it's pretty much political suicide being a Republican in a Democratic city/state.

In fact, it's so bad that people who were Republicans run as Democrats in order to get elected. This includes, recently (2012 election cycle), Michelle Piszczor and Tom Swiss. Now, it's true that Piszczor might just be a blue-dog. But Swiss is a former executive director of the Chicago Republican Party and former 27th Ward Republican committeeman.

Yet they're running as Democrats in a Democrat city in a Democrat state.

State Senate: Democratic 40-19
State House: Democratic 71-47
Governor: Democratic
Senators: 1 each
US House: Democratic 12-6

Party Affiliation: Democratic 46%, Republican 31%, Balance Independent.

Obama is no 'liberal.' He's more of a moderate Republican than anything. Somewhat more conservative than Eisenhower or Nixon I think.

Really?

Post by Really? »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Really? wrote:Just for the record, I am opposed to the Fappening on privacy grounds. These men and women should not have had their property stolen and shared.
Me, too, but I still went and looked. Then I mentioned to my daughter (who loves the Hunger Games) that there are naked pics of JLaw on the web and used this to have another conversation about "inappropro selfies" with her iPhone.

Teaching moment and all that shit.

ps. as usual, I was impressed with JLaw's response - to not deny that the pics were real and then also say "fuck off"
I haven't seen her response, but I love that she had that attitude.

The whole thing really isn't a big deal. We all have a body. We all see a naked person each time we shower. Who cares?

Southern

Post by Southern »

another lurker wrote:Holy fuck, apparently nude photos of Kate Upton were also released.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1444316/kate-u ... or-hacker/
Kate who?

I'm deadly serious, I don't know this person by name, and while I would probably recognize her face if I clicked on the article, I'd rather not.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Guest wrote:The important questions are tackled early on in the process.
AlexSeanchai wrote:
Right, So this certainly makes the maths harder. Trying to think what the ideal configuration is...
So maybe:
Sex (AAB): M/F
Trans*: Y/N
Gender Passing: 0% -----o------ 100%
Ethnicity Privilege Passing: 0% ------o------- 100%

This gets tricky if, say, we're doing a roll for sexism.
If the person is Male (AAB) Trans, and high passing, they would then roll to pass as female, and be subject to sexism.
If the person is Female (AAB) not trans, high passing, they would then roll to pass as female and be subject to sexism.
What I'm curious about is whether we should have gender passing apply to non-trans folks? EG: What if the party member is Male (AAB) but very effeminate, would that be Male (AAB), non-trans, low passing? Or do we just ignore the passing thing for non-trans folks?

Similarly, Ethnicity privilege passing becomes a question if we make any of the racism targeted. Do we then just treat the % ethnicity as the effective "passing" for that ethnicity?
Do we weight each ethnicity in a "passing for white" roll based on how "white" that ethnicity is perceived to be?
I thought the idea of gamification was to make things more fun, but Depression Quest sure cleared that up for me.
I think A+ are well on their way to Depression Quest II: The Attempted.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

@southern old news now

Kate is a large boobied bikini model for Sports Illustrated. I often post her pix here when providing citations.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Guest wrote:Sweet, sweet bandwagon-hopping from the A plussers. Oh shit yes.
As I posted elsewhere I was/am interested in creating a social justice themed project utilizing my skills in interactive media to promote social justice and cosciousness raising activities thereby.

Gremalkin voted in on the project, and so, the two of us (for now) will be using this thread for planning purposes.

-------

That said, a few initial thoughts.
I am thinking building something with a lot of passive consciousness raising integrated into the structure of a simulation sounds like the way to go.

The problem is going to be selecting a theme and mechanic that really illustrates that theme well.
Thinking of it as a contextualized simulation is probably a good way to go, as calling it a "game" tends to lend a focus of entertainment. Not that I don't wish to entertain, butany entertainment should be in service of facilitating the message, rather than a goal in and of itself.

That said, let's start by brainstorming mechanics and how they could serve a potential theme or raise awareness.

One that popped into my head the other day was to have a simulation where whatever gender the user selects, their avatar is given the opposite representation, even if just the color of the avatar. Then their interactions with the simulation might play out a struggle to transition, maybe just from blue to pink or visa versa, as a very basic seed idea of the world.

Another was the idea of spoons, I thought it might be interesting to have a simulation where ordinary activities most take for granted cost the user spoons proportional to the effect a particular simulated situation would have on the role they were either assigned or chose at the start of the simulation.

Another possibility was to in some way illustrate the damage of tribal thinking through a simulation where the user must in some way learn group dynamics and the harm of insularity in order to progress and improve the simulation.

Those are just a few simple seeds. Thoughts?
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6310

I'm particularly looking forward to the part where they illustrate the dangers of tribal thinking (sounds culturally insensitive to me though). I'm thinking it will be something like Command & Conquer, only you have to stop the A+ forums from being ravaged by shitlords while also preventing the exploitation of your rich irony mines.

Who am I kidding? I have a strong feeling that there will never be any playable game (although I guess they deserve props for even starting a conversation about making one, as that elevates them far beyond the mass of SJWs whining about gaming but offering no alternative).
I understand the concept of "spoons" in the context of disability or chronic illness. However, the SJWs have overused and warped the term to such an extent, and in such a self-serving, specious manner, that it's become a joke. I use the term sarcastically when I'm in a bad mood, as in ... Why do you think the neighbors will fix the fence that their dog broke? It takes them most of the weekend to gather the spoons required to roll the empty wheelie bin 20 feet up their driveway into the garage. :x

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Tribble wrote: Well, I'm not going to panic. We've seen this over-and-over-and-over again:

The Film Industry
The Music Industry
The Print Industry

The Game Industry is just the current bête noire in the cross hairs. In time, people will get so fucking sick-and-tired of it they'll ignore it and it will all fade away.
Well the film industry is probably the slowest to figure out that they missed a untapped market but it's been steadily making more and more movies for girls and women, usually with the empowered princess trope (which since Luke Skywalker is an empowered prince, we can't complain really).

The games community would be foolish not to realise that there are many girl gamers who would like to play games other than "Honour of Duty" and other blood-drenched triple A titles. I think it naive to assume boys and girls like to play with the same things and so it might be time to start developing triple A games that appeal to women and girls. I have no desire to see say "Mamma Mia" but it exists for a market than I am not in and was massively popular, so if games companies were smart, they'd start focussing on some top end titles for that market. It seems that perhaps there may be a lack of imagination or financial will to take such risks but whichever company takes it seriously and pulls it off will make billions.

A great Triple A title directed towards 14 to 25 year old girls and women, with all the polish and depth of some of the games of the last few years would do more to change the stereotype gamer narrative than a billion twitter timelines, would be ground-breaking and above all would make money.
I don't see that demographic being terribly important. Already that demographic is a minority in gaming and the largest demographic (39%) are older folk-- 36 and-up. While the fastest growing female gamer demographic is 50-and-up.

And they're well aware of the female market. Even though women are a slight minority in gaming (48%) they out-spend men enough that the gender breakdown of video game purchases is 50-50 and that in 'casual games' women tend to significantly out-spend men (hence all those idiotic pay-to-win mobile games).

And there's a lot more in this ESA report: http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/esa_ef_2014.pdf as well as other sources.

austin

Post by austin »

Tribble wrote:
austin wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Wait, are there still people around who think Obama wanted single payer?

Of course he didn't. Like most of his Democrat colleagues in politics, he wants what big business tells him to want.
I don't think he ever did either, or was murky at best at what he wanted. But the fact that it didn't happen wasn't his doing, that's all I'm saying. Even if he had pushed for it, don't think it would have mattered anyway, not with the insurance interests dollars at play.
If you go through Obama's career, you'll find, from his earliest days in the Illinois legislature till this very day he has been a bag of hot air that gives pretty speeches for the Democratic Plebs while he protects corporate interests. I think the only reason he's not a Republican is because he was from Chicago and it's pretty much political suicide being a Republican in a Democratic city/state.

In fact, it's so bad that people who were Republicans run as Democrats in order to get elected. This includes, recently (2012 election cycle), Michelle Piszczor and Tom Swiss. Now, it's true that Piszczor might just be a blue-dog. But Swiss is a former executive director of the Chicago Republican Party and former 27th Ward Republican committeeman.

Yet they're running as Democrats in a Democrat city in a Democrat state.

State Senate: Democratic 40-19
State House: Democratic 71-47
Governor: Democratic
Senators: 1 each
US House: Democratic 12-6

Party Affiliation: Democratic 46%, Republican 31%, Balance Independent.

Obama is no 'liberal.' He's more of a moderate Republican than anything. Somewhat more conservative than Eisenhower or Nixon I think.
Perhaps it is just a matter of taste. But I'm just not into bashing Obama as much as other people. Sure he is a phony, but so was Bill Clinton and even more so. If it wasn't Obama, it would have been Hillary Clinton, or worse John McCain or Mitt Romney. Politics has become totally a product of corporate mass marketing to serve corporations and global profits. Even if a real progressive (or true conservative if that is your taste) were elected - pick one - do you honestly think he or she could get much done with our current corporate special interest driven politics. He or she would be Jimmy Carter'ed out in a New York Minute (note this isn't an endorsement of Jimmy Carter). We have to take money out of politics or this will never change.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Southern wrote:
another lurker wrote:Holy fuck, apparently nude photos of Kate Upton were also released.

Kate who?

I'm deadly serious, I don't know this person by name, and while I would probably recognize her face if I clicked on the article, I'd rather not.
There's your mistake: trying to recognize Kate Upton by her face.

sinister

Post by sinister »

And now I find out some of my friends believe the SJWs are "doing good". Time to go dark on Facebook.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Speaking of games. If there was any more proof needed that EA is the devil, they're churning the Sims franchise again.

I had all the Sims (Sims 1) and nearly all the Sims 2, spending nearly $700 on the franchise and add-on packs. My daughter even more. And we loved it. Years of enjoyment playing that game.

Sims3 came out and they gutted the mature Sims 2 to give us a very bare product, but we thought it might be an improvement to the franchise and tried it out. I bailed after the initial release because the fully evolved game had been pared down to a really narrow base game that was dull beyond belief.

My daughter tried to stick with it and spent about $200 on the franchise to make it somewhat playable and, finally, got tired of spending the money and went back to Sims 2.

The churning and reduction in functionality had, despite their 'improvements,' it's consequences sa the Sims 3 only sold half the units of Sims 2. Now comes Sims 4:
89 Features Missing from The Sims 4
http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89- ... the-sims-4
What a piece of shit. It's, IMO, even worse than the Sims 3 or SimCity crap they pulled. This base game they're making is probably the least-feature-rich base Sims game ever. And, it's only 32-bit so you're stuck with 1990s technology and its 4GB RAM limit so no large worlds...

So I wonder if they're going to cut their customer base in half again. I know I won't even buy the base unit. My daughter feels the same way as the Sims2 still works fine in Windows 7 and she doesn't want to drop another $1,000 on 'everything' that EA will churn.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Holy balls, there's nude photos of Krysten Ritter out there? Talk about burying the lead!

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

The thing that gets me about Myers' little homily about evolution is how he insists that it's really about cooperation, not competition, as if the two are mutually exclusive. He doesn't seem to grasp that if it's the best cooperators that survive, then it means that organisms will compete at cooperating.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Ack. I assumed that I was done with FtB (due to bans), but Jason Thibeault seems to have written an entire post in response to something I said on PZ's blog. I have asked if he really wants a discussion (which is, as usual, still awaiting moderation). I'm slightly hopeful about this because he actually wrote this: "In the comments at PZ’s, the thread rapidly became a 'what about the men' derail by someone who apparently, genuinely, just wanted to explore the topic." That's - by far - the most positive (and accurate) thing that any of them have said about me.

While poking around some more, I found this from Ophelia Benson (referring to me): "And it’s perfectly reasonable and non-obsessive to derail a thread in order to pursue some twisted vendetta picked up at a forum full of obsessed stalkers…"

The irony is really quite rich. They only know that I'm here (on SlymePit) by googling my nym and/or reading this forum. I had no idea that they were discussing me in other threads until they told me they were. But I'm the stalker. Cool. I can live with that. After all, I am widely known as a person who peeks in windows; stalking is the least of my crimes.

Southern

Post by Southern »

The Phisioproffe Watch I

So, as promised, I'll feature this weekly series, every Monday or Sunday (when I get the time, really) about the wacky posts of the wackiest Freethought Blogger since Thunderfoot so you don't have to! You may ask, "Why?! Physioproffe is small potatoes!". Yeah, but Physioproffe also never chickened from a fight against a gelatto shop owner, so there you have it. Let us begin, going from the posts from today until the last post featured last week:

Cocktails

The Comrade asks a question: "Is there any better cocktail than a perfectly balanced perfect rye Manhattan?". Twelve people answered, which I noticed is twice the amount of comments Steffalump gathers on her usual drivel that is not drama-driven. Good job, Comrade! Also, you may want to ask the resident (well, not really) FTB booze expert Rebecca Watson about this. I heard you can get her contact info from PZ Myers... if you're brave enough to face his jealous wrath for asking it.

Comradde PhysioProffe’s New Bloggeing Project: Ask Your Comradde

Physioproffe wants to start his own wacky advice column for shits and giggles. You can even ask about "whateverthefucke"!! Whatever he fuck that means. Anyway, I noticed that this is not too different from Adam Buckley's Advice No One Asked For, so I guess I'll have to take back some points on originality.

Baseball Statistics Question

The Comrade is curious about some crappy baseball statistics. Look, baseball is a stupid, boring game. Who cares about those statistics except for those ESPN assholes and really dumb fans? Fucken Christe.

Connectivity and “Connectivity”

He then goes on a tirade about how "human brain fMRI functional imaging motherfuckers" are chapening the term "connectivity" from its stablished meaning in neurobiology. I don't know anything about this subject so I cannot comment on how accurate his concerns are, but I cannot stop noticing that even his "Baseball Statistics Question" got 4 comments and this one, being somehow related to science, got zilch. That speaks volumes about your audience...

Republican Filth Getting What They Want: Right-Wing Gun-Nuttes Getting Obliterated In Hails Of Bullets Unleashed By Children With Machine Guns

Physioproffe weights on the tragic (but kinda funny in that ironic dark comedy way) of the shooting instructor accidentally machine-gunned by a 9-years old girl. Well, "weights on" in a relative way, since he only posts a phrase about it and then links to the Dayle News article. Well, points to him for not copypastaing the news article like some of his comrades love to do.

---

That's it for this week. Tune one next time for more hijinks and, with a bit of luck, a delicious risotto or taco recipe from the funniest guy on FTB since Richard Carrier!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

DownThunder wrote: Ok time to go ye olde pit. What is with american food and consumable products? Why does everything have to be sweetened? Up to and including water? Australian outlets of costco sell a great deal of american food and its 99% shit. Everything is loaded with corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. I even have to wash my mouth out with sweetened mouthwash. Does mouthwash really need sorbitol?

I eat like a peasant. Not only does it cut out a great deal of sugar, excess carbs and provide more vitamins and fibre, it saves me money.

We don't. It's a direct result of farm subsidies and protectionism.

Sugar, in America, is cheaper (in the market) than it should be. Therefore food manufacturers stuff it into their products in lieu of more expensive ingredients. For example, a traditional way to sweeten a tomato-sauce-based recipe is with carrot puree. But carrots are more expensive than sugar, so they use sugar. Even worse, they use it as filler in things that shouldn't be sweetened.

So while it's hard to get away from, one thing I do is read the labels and find the brands that don't use sugar and stick with them. It's difficult here in the States because so many products have useless and unnecessary sugar in them, but it's worth it. Even if does make my grocery bill a bit higher.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

bovarchist wrote:The thing that gets me about Myers' little homily about evolution is how he insists that it's really about cooperation, not competition, as if the two are mutually exclusive. He doesn't seem to grasp that if it's the best cooperators that survive, then it means that organisms will compete at cooperating.
Not unexpected at all. If you force yourself to recognize that cooperation is almost always teaming up against some other group, then you'll have difficulty not realizing that feminism is almost always teaming up against men. And there goes your main counter to the MRAs.

The guy is an asshole; he's not totally stupid.

sinister

Post by sinister »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Ack. I assumed that I was done with FtB (due to bans), but Jason Thibeault seems to have written an entire post in response to something I said on PZ's blog. I have asked if he really wants a discussion (which is, as usual, still awaiting moderation). I'm slightly hopeful about this because he actually wrote this: "In the comments at PZ’s, the thread rapidly became a 'what about the men' derail by someone who apparently, genuinely, just wanted to explore the topic." That's - by far - the most positive (and accurate) thing that any of them have said about me.

While poking around some more, I found this from Ophelia Benson (referring to me): "And it’s perfectly reasonable and non-obsessive to derail a thread in order to pursue some twisted vendetta picked up at a forum full of obsessed stalkers…"

The irony is really quite rich. They only know that I'm here (on SlymePit) by googling my nym and/or reading this forum. I had no idea that they were discussing me in other threads until they told me they were. But I'm the stalker. Cool. I can live with that. After all, I am widely known as a person who peeks in windows; stalking is the least of my crimes.
I believe the last time a dialog was start Svan wadded in and ruined it. I don't know the full story, maybe a knowledgeable person could run it down fit us.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Southern wrote:The Phisioproffe Watch I
Or, The Adventures of Risotto the Clown.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

didymos wrote:This is pretty funny:

http://monsterhunternation.com/2014/08/ ... a-fisking/
That was great.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

While I've been told that I am a primate and that primates can learn, if Jason Thibeault wishes to discuss the issue, I will.

(this post is half to sinister and half to the "stalkers")

with that said...

ps. I am greatly amused by your new word "wadded"; it seems halfway between "waded" and "waddled"

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

another lurker wrote:@southern old news now

Kate is a large boobied bikini model for Sports Illustrated. I often post her pix here when providing citations.
Also, her bod is the basis for Fascist Tit's avatar. You're welcome, slymefappers.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Gumby wrote:
another lurker wrote:@southern old news now

Also, her bod is the basis for Fascist Tit's avatar. You're welcome, slymefappers.
Maybe that's why no one recognized her. :lol:

sinister

Post by sinister »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:While I've been told that I am a primate and that primates can learn, if Jason Thibeault wishes to discuss the issue, I will.

(this post is half to sinister and half to the "stalkers")

with that said...

ps. I am greatly amused by your new word "wadded"; it seems halfway between "waded" and "waddled"
It's apparently very important to my phone that I say silly things when I post. I really should re-read what it has decided I meant to say, but I'm lazy.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Latest Ally Fogg:

Those sharing stolen photos are not acting like Edward Snowden – they are behaving like the NSA
The right to retain a private life and to hold one’s own personal secrets, shared intimacies and autonomy over one’s physical body and sexuality, is indeed under profound threat in the 21st century. It makes for a tragic, saddening spectacle to see those who claim to defend the final frontiers of freedom and liberty behaving like the surveillance behemoth they claim to despise.
In other words: It is OK when we do it? (of course not).

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

AndrewV69 wrote:Latest Ally Fogg:

Those sharing stolen photos are not acting like Edward Snowden – they are behaving like the NSA
The right to retain a private life and to hold one’s own personal secrets, shared intimacies and autonomy over one’s physical body and sexuality, is indeed under profound threat in the 21st century. It makes for a tragic, saddening spectacle to see those who claim to defend the final frontiers of freedom and liberty behaving like the surveillance behemoth they claim to despise.
In other words: It is OK when we do it? (of course not).
What I love about these articles and blog posts banging on about how its immoral to look at these pictures and of course the feminists going so far as to suggest its rape, is that you know a significant portion of the people moralising had a butchers themselves. But only for research purposes of course.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Wow, the GenCon article is great, and you know, I appreciate more and more that I have the opportunity to read articles by Republican rat bastards. ;) Shame on me for not broadening my world view before.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

strayling

Post by strayling »

sinister wrote: You would be okay, there wasn't anything crazy in there. I've been temp banned from Fark for probably 50% of what I have posted. :o do maybe I'm not the best judge. YMMV
Try linking to http://www.bannination.com/ and see what happens. I'm permanently shadowbanned on Fark just for replying to a post which contained that link.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Pagancat wrote:
This whole thing is becoming almost silly by how unethical these people are willing to be. They might as well be twisting their moustaches.

sinister

Post by sinister »

strayling wrote:
sinister wrote: You would be okay, there wasn't anything crazy in there. I've been temp banned from Fark for probably 50% of what I have posted. :o do maybe I'm not the best judge. YMMV
Try linking to http://www.bannination.com/ and see what happens. I'm permanently shadowbanned on Fark just for replying to a post which contained that link.
No shit? Because it's unmoderated or something?

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

Tribble wrote: Obama is no 'liberal.' He's more of a moderate Republican than anything. Somewhat more conservative than Eisenhower or Nixon I think.

I think your last sentence is key. Claiming that "Obama is a Republican" might make sense if you're thinking of the pre-Reagan Republicans. Republicans today are a completely different breed.

Hell, it's often said that Saint Ronald himself would be called a RINO if he came up today with the exact same policies that he actually implemented while in office.

For better or worse, the whole Overton window has shifted massively to the right. Obama may be very similar to a 70's Republican, but he's nowhere near the "shut down everything rather than repeal tax cuts" Republicans of today.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

The video from this morning is back up.

[youtube]TgW5NRUfs44[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm a huge fan of space sims and such, but I have something to admit: I...I've never played Eve Online. Anyway, I've just noticed there's a 14 days free trial, so I'm downloading the game now and will see what it's all about (unlikely I'll pay for a subscription since I don't have that kind of money, but never say never).

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I know it's wrong to laugh it this; however, I can't help BUTT do so:
Stupid twat.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm a huge fan of space sims and such, but I have something to admit: I...I've never played Eve Online. Anyway, I've just noticed there's a 14 days free trial, so I'm downloading the game now and will see what it's all about (unlikely I'll pay for a subscription since I don't have that kind of money, but never say never).
I played it for several months and loved it. We eventually made enough profit on trading to play for free (you buy plex's with in game currency, ISK's, and apply them to your account for game time) We also had a moon with several stations bristling with defenses which we used for manufacture and research. It is not a game for everyone though, you have to make your own fun and that is not easy to do as it is very much a sand box game. If you get upset at being scammed, blown up and losing assets you worked for you will also hate it. It also tends to be SJW free as they moan and moaners are despised and targeted.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news: Over at AVFM Cronyism, lies and censorship: What Zoe Quinn and feminism bring to gaming (part 1) a not too badly written article (surprise).

Anway TL;DNR :
To summarize, a feminist game developer pushed her game into the spotlight by making dubious claims of harassment that were never investigated. Her former lover later accused her of exchanging sex for positive reviews and a career boost in the process of cheating on him with at least five men. Owing to her connections in the game journalism industry, including people who explicitly finance her, she shut down most discourse regarding this story on major websites and got these websites to print articles in her favor despite the protests of the vast majority of gamers themselves. Those game journalists who did not conform were threatened into silence. Yet by mobilizing her fellow game journalists against anyone who wished to expose her corruption, Zoe Quinn inadvertently revealed their corruption as well.

So why is all this happening? Why are all these game journalists silencing dissent on Zoe Quinn’s behalf? In part 2 of the series, I will look into the political affilitations of her cronies and show evidence that much of game journalism today is dominated by feminist cliques, by fraudulent “social justice warriors” who have transformed what was once an enjoyable pursuit into an ideological minefield. We will explore these people’s goals, their utter contempt for integrity and the false victim narrative in which they guise themselves. We will examine their connections and their modus operandi. These are the people who want to turn gaming into a part of their propaganda machine; it is our duty to ensure, armed with the knowledge of their actions and identities, that this will never happen.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Pagancat wrote:The video from this morning is back up.
Ignoring the specifics, if this video is accurate, then every "gaming journalist" (even [or maybe especially] those who have been silent) should resign right now.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Old_ones wrote:If you've got some time to kill Sargon of Akkad has a lengthy commentary on some of the "gaming is dead" articles in the gaming press.

[youtube]N_K13iEWQfY[/youtube]

Which was good for me because the last thing I want to do is give these Y. pestis carrying assfleas a hit for writing this drivel. My "favorite" passage comes up at around 45min. Sargon is reading and discussing a reviewer's list of rules for making better games and entry number 11 is "We stop upholding 'fun' as the universal, ultimate criterion of a game's relevance". The reviewer goes on to dismiss fun as "a neurological trick".

I wonder what the actual game developers are thinking about all of this shit.
Well, that was awesome.

strayling

Post by strayling »

sinister wrote:
strayling wrote:
No shit? Because it's unmoderated or something?
It was created when Fark was redesigned a few years by a bunch of people who'd finally had enough of the moderators. The mods hate us for our freedoms. The Pit has a similar feel, although this place is much more SFW. Moderation on bN is by the community - nobody has any more power than anyone else - and it can be ... idiosyncratic.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AlexSeanchai wrote:
Define 'gender-conforming'. I'd say a trans woman in high heels and pearls and a Cinderella gown is conforming to her gender quite well (if rather too formally for most situations). Not to her assigned-at-birth gender, but that's not the same thing.

Right. I think what we need from an engine standpoint is, what is the % likelihood for this person to be perceived as conforming to their assigned gender.
Is there an ideal label for that? Passing?

Kassiane wrote:
As an ethnically ambiguous biracial person I like that slider in particular, though there's also the complication of passing privilege on that axis.

Right, I would need to create an algorithm that determines the passing privilege based on the %'s.

AlexSeanchai wrote:
Define 'gender-conforming'. I'd say a trans woman in high heels and pearls and a Cinderella gown is conforming to her gender quite well (if rather too formally for most situations). Not to her assigned-at-birth gender, but that's not the same thing.

Right, So this certainly makes the maths harder. Trying to think what the ideal configuration is...
So maybe:

If the person is Male (AAB) Trans, and high passing, they would then roll to pass as female, and be subject to sexism.
If the person is Female (AAB) not trans, high passing, they would then roll to pass as female and be subject to sexism.
What I'm curious about is whether we should have gender passing apply to non-trans folks? EG: What if the party member is Male (AAB) but very effeminate, would that be Male (AAB), non-trans, low passing? Or do we just ignore the passing thing for non-trans folks?

Similarly, Ethnicity privilege passing becomes a question if we make any of the racism targeted. Do we then just treat the % ethnicity as the effective "passing" for that ethnicity?
Do we weight each ethnicity in a "passing for white" roll based on how "white" that ethnicity is perceived to be?
I thought the idea of gamification was to make things more fun, but Depression Quest sure cleared that up for me.
From what I understand, the point of Depression Quest was to make you understand depression, and what better way to do that then to play a game that is so horrible you get depressed from having bought and played it. It seems to be successful!

sinister

Post by sinister »

Pagancat wrote:The video from this morning is back up.

[youtube]TgW5NRUfs44[/youtube]
Holy shit! This is ridiculous!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
austin wrote:Another point that is always missed. Everyone has latent violent tendencies and sexual frustrations and anxieties that have to be vented from time to time. Better to do this through video games and watching sports like the NFL than real life. The Romans did this with gladiator games in the distant past. I'll bet that video games and sports and other type activities actually greatly decrease actual inappropriate sex acts and violence that would occur, if these outlets didn't exist. These things calm the beast sort of speak.
Nah. You're just projecting. Men want to be violent and women get wet thinking about being the spoils of the victor. Totally different.
[youtube]6PQ6335puOc[/youtube]

sinister

Post by sinister »

Well after hearing that insanity about games not focusing on being fun wtf do we even say anymore? These people are insane. I know this is well known, but these are seriously damaged people who want nothing more than to have power over others.

strayling

Post by strayling »

Badger3k wrote:
AlexSeanchai wrote:

Right. I think what we need from an engine standpoint is, what is the % likelihood for this person to be perceived as conforming to their assigned gender.
Is there an ideal label for that? Passing?

Kassiane wrote:
As an ethnically ambiguous biracial person I like that slider in particular, though there's also the complication of passing privilege on that axis.

Right, I would need to create an algorithm that determines the passing privilege based on the %'s.

AlexSeanchai wrote:

So maybe:

From what I understand, the point of Depression Quest was to make you understand depression, and what better way to do that then to play a game that is so horrible you get depressed from having bought and played it. It seems to be successful!
Reminds me of Traveler. For anyone unfamiliar with it, Traveler was an ancient SF-themed RPG where the entirety of the game consisted of generating your character. I suppose there might have been more to it than that in theory, but after 7 hours of character generation with no end in sight everyone used to give up in disgust.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Help me out guys, who is camgirl?

sinister

Post by sinister »

Oh jesus, Traveler the nerd simulator. What an excruciating game. That was the one where your character could die during creation right?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Ack. I assumed that I was done with FtB (due to bans), but Jason Thibeault seems to have written an entire post in response to something I said on PZ's blog. I have asked if he really wants a discussion (which is, as usual, still awaiting moderation). I'm slightly hopeful about this because he actually wrote this: "In the comments at PZ’s, the thread rapidly became a 'what about the men' derail by someone who apparently, genuinely, just wanted to explore the topic." That's - by far - the most positive (and accurate) thing that any of them have said about me.

See, you're doing it all wrong. You need to get on twitter and right angry tweets to them saying they are blocked for being stalkers. And then write a series of angry blog posts describing their obsessive behavior and how your life is ruined. Or something.

I haven't tried to comment on any of their blogs - what's the point, really, riling them up could be fun but ultimately would just waste my limited time - and the one time I was brought up (that I know about) was when Avi took a comment here and claimed it was email, then wrote a post about it (and some other things, too, IIRC). Honestly can't even remember if I read the post or not.

Tidybowl will act the same as the others - you might make it through moderation, but if you do, it might be edited to show what he wants you to say. Or anything reasonable will not be allowed through, while anything he can use as propaganda will be allowed through. Most of them follow the same playbook. About the best one for comments seems to be Fogg. I think Singham might bo ok, but I never tried commenting there, put his posts used to be decent. The big ones aren't worth bothering with - you'll never have a decent conversation there.

That's why we have the open policy here, and any of them are welcome here, although we know they won't leave the safety of their ban hammer zones.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Really? wrote:Just for the record, I am opposed to the Fappening on privacy grounds. These men and women should not have had their property stolen and shared.

The Fappening does, however, prove that SJW bullshit ebbs and flows with time, but you will ALWAYS get attention if you have nude pictures of celebrities. You'll never squeeze sexual desire out of people...no matter how hard you try, Ophie, PZ, Steffalump and all the rest.
Yeah, pretty much this.

I understand why people are lulzing about it, but I don't agree with them. Unless I'm not understanding this, a hack is a hack, and it could just as easily have been financial records, dox of their private info or photos of their children.

Since I oppose doxxing, I obviously oppose hacking private info. It's not okay "when we do it" (we being 4chan.)

James Caruthers

sinister wrote:And now I find out some of my friends believe the SJWs are "doing good". Time to go dark on Facebook.
Just make sure you never post something on facebook that people who know you could lie about, distort and use to get you fired.

Because they'll fucking do it.

James Caruthers

sinister wrote:Wow, the GenCon article is great, and you know, I appreciate more and more that I have the opportunity to read articles by Republican rat bastards. ;) Shame on me for not broadening my world view before.
The social justice wankers made me realize these rightist pigs really aren't so bad.

And college made me realize those leftist scum aren't so good.

:snooty: :snooty: :snooty:

Damion is teaching me how to hover between them both.

sinister

Post by sinister »

James Caruthers wrote:
sinister wrote:And now I find out some of my friends believe the SJWs are "doing good". Time to go dark on Facebook.
Just make sure you never post something on facebook that people who know you could lie about, distort and use to get you fired.

I seriously got that vibe, and it was the Internet Aristocrat video, which though vulgar was very, very sourced and information rich. And I was getting shit for not being understanding and responses flipping the entire situation on its head in order to say the media were the ones who found these unethical ties and gamers were getting upset because they expected everyone to be as informed as they were. Wtf? I know these people closely and seriously tie me in with bigotry and misogyny?

What the hell do you even say at that point?

James Caruthers

sinister wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

I seriously got that vibe, and it was the Internet Aristocrat video, which though vulgar was very, very sourced and information rich. And I was getting shit for not being understanding and responses flipping the entire situation on its head in order to say the media were the ones who found these unethical ties and gamers were getting upset because they expected everyone to be as informed as they were. Wtf? I know these people closely and seriously tie me in with bigotry and misogyny?

What the hell do you even say at that point?
I don't know. I can't believe the sort of person who will know someone most of their life, hear an unsourced rumor that "oh, he's part of a misogynist bigot group who hates everyone" and then start believing it about the entire community that person happens to be a part of. Sorry to hear you know people like that. I avoid social media for the most part, because certain people should never have access to my private thoughts. I don't care if you fuckers know.

:cdc:

I'm not angry just that self-identified "gamers" are being slandered. I'm angry because, despite their near-constant lying to the contrary, everyone who plays video games is counted as a "gamer" for the purposes of narrative construction by the SJL.

So it doesn't matter if you consider yourself "a gamer" or not. When one of these clickbaiting fucks says "gamers have a culture of misogyny, rape apology and abuse of women," you can be damn sure that you are included in that slander if you play games, especially if you were born with a penis. But then they turn around and say "well I'm really talking about a specific group of self-identified misogynists," and so maybe you calm down, but the next day they'll be back with an article saying the entire community of people who play video games is anti-woman and loves rape.

strayling

Post by strayling »

sinister wrote:Oh jesus, Traveler the nerd simulator. What an excruciating game. That was the one where your character could die during creation right?
That's the one. The A+ers would (pretend to) love it.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

sinister wrote:Oh jesus, Traveler the nerd simulator. What an excruciating game. That was the one where your character could die during creation right?
Not only that, but you could probably die of olkd age (both your character and you) before you were out of character creation. That said, I didn't play much, but I did enjoy the character creation more than the game, although snapshot (a board game) was fun to play. I always wanted to try the trillion-credit squadron thing and do some space battles, though.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

sinister wrote:Well after hearing that insanity about games not focusing on being fun wtf do we even say anymore? These people are insane. I know this is well known, but these are seriously damaged people who want nothing more than to have power over others.
The whole idea of SJWs is that "someone is having fun over there, let's prevent that". Reminds me of the whole "let's regulate what goes on the internet, on TV, in the bedroom, etc" ideologies. I seriously think that they believe that if something is fun it is by default oppressive to somebody, and they have the duty to be offended for them, and to white knight for them. If they had nothing to crusade against I wonder how many of them would be on medicine or suicide watch.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Welp just got muted on a gaming forum for arguing against a circlejerk of morons claiming poor Sarkeesian shouldn't have expected and doesn't deserve any of the backlash she's getting. Apparently we need to treat her with the respect and defference you would give an opponent in a debate, no matter how retarded her "opinions" are.
I brought up Jack Thompson and the invective that was hurled at him from all four corners of the web for the exact same shenanigans, and the answer?
Mainly because I never paid it much attention. Nobody deserves shit like death threats (apart from possible the people I reserve no sympathy for). But that point is also a prevalence of sexism in the industry, and indeed further afield. The whole - "He is a man! He can handle this kind of shit!". Bullshit. He didn't deserve stuff like that."
What a bunch of pozzed out tumblirite morons. JT didn't receive as much attention because of sexism towards women and the perception of men as big boys who can handle it.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

austin wrote: Perhaps it is just a matter of taste. But I'm just not into bashing Obama as much as other people. Sure he is a phony, but so was Bill Clinton and even more so. If it wasn't Obama, it would have been Hillary Clinton, or worse John McCain or Mitt Romney. Politics has become totally a product of corporate mass marketing to serve corporations and global profits. Even if a real progressive (or true conservative if that is your taste) were elected - pick one - do you honestly think he or she could get much done with our current corporate special interest driven politics. He or she would be Jimmy Carter'ed out in a New York Minute (note this isn't an endorsement of Jimmy Carter). We have to take money out of politics or this will never change.
I spend almost no time bashing Obama. I understood from the beginning he was more like a moderate Republican than a Democrat based on his voting actions even though he gave face to 'liberalism' and 'liberal ideals.' So he was no surprise to me when he continued, or even upgraded, many of the worst Bush policies and practices.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

James Caruthers wrote:

The Fappening does, however, prove that SJW bullshit ebbs and flows with time, but you will ALWAYS get attention if you have nude pictures of celebrities. You'll never squeeze sexual desire out of people...no matter how hard you try, Ophie, PZ, Steffalump and all the rest.
Yeah, pretty much this.

I understand why people are lulzing about it, but I don't agree with them. Unless I'm not understanding this, a hack is a hack, and it could just as easily have been financial records, dox of their private info or photos of their children.

Since I oppose doxxing, I obviously oppose hacking private info. It's not okay "when we do it" (we being 4chan.)
I'm just rubbing my hands in glee at the thought of (if the rumours are true) Apple getting taken to the cleaners over not giving a fuck about privacy and security. Finally some people who can pay for wall of lawyers have been fucked over. None of these companies give a shit about anyone's privacy, but just look at all the image hosting sites, Facebook, Twitter et al scurrying to remove any trace of this because the victims can afford to sue the shit out of them. I'll also be interested to see if Google censor search results or whether they're still confident that they'll never be treated the way the Pirate Bay guys were for linking to things.