Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
austin

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by austin »

Guest wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
austin wrote:I agree 100% on this. What exactly can we do about it though?
Speaking out can't hurt. And share the Alternet & Glen Greenwald articles that Clarence linked.

And vote third party. In the last primaries, I voted for 5 Greens, 3 Peace & Freedoms, and 2 Libertarians. I have issues with all three parties, but at least they are not corrupt like the Dems & Gops. Try to persuade others that, the lesser-of-two-evils approach by default always results in evil.

Finally, familiarize yourself with Brandenburg v. Ohio and proceed accordingly.
we need voting reform first and foremost

http://www.cgpgrey.com/politics-in-the-animal-kingdom/

but the ones who can change it are the ones that benefit most in NOT changing it

we need a stupendous public visibility push
A simple reform would be to publicly finance all elections, so money and bribery doesn't enter in, and we don't hear the endless commercial lies being spewed back and forth, plus the endless cash needed even to run for office. But network television would have major objections because they make billions of dollars covering the horserace. An even better reform would be to obliterate parties all together. Third parties might work if we had a parliamentary democracy but we don't.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Apples wrote: So ... how would that work, exactly? Is she claiming she has a different address since her last dominos order and that a hacker was able to gain access to that account but was unable to figure out her current address? Seems implausible.

Anyway, here are her supposed "Final thoughts on this whole kerfuffle."

It's a weird way of phrasing it as well - I read it that she had an account, forgot about it but it had the wrong address (or an old address), and someone sent it to someone who lives there now who also happens to be Zoe Quinn? Why not say they sent it to the wrong address? Not indicative of anything or much, but just an odd way to phrase it that stood out.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

JackSkeptic wrote:I can't see any issues with SJW's affecting games as they constantly lie about them, as they do with everything else. That is their Achilles heal. People who actually buy and play games know the truth of game content and won't take them seriously. If the SJW's were not so lazy and bigoted and actually provided intelligent and well researched analyses they may have added some value to an interesting topic. But of course they will waste that opportunity and anyway, it has already being done by people with a far deeper understanding of what they are commenting on.

As to game reviews I have never taken much notice of them. It is not how gamers make buying decisions, just a part of it. They are not trained journalists and have no concept of integrity and never did. I'm surprised people are surprised. I'm also surprised at the puffed up sense of importance some clearly have.

SJW's will always use any tactic to push their agenda. The people who matter though are the consumers and only the easily persuaded will fall for their tricks. I will continue to play the games I like and have no reason to believe they will not still be made.

The main newspapers are dying out fast. Papers such as the Guardian are desperate to push sales so have jumped on the SJW bandwagon faster than they can check their bank balance. But no one cares about them or their opinion except a few self appointed loud mouths. It is the last gasp of a dying industry.
I do read reviews, but the bigger draw for me and (I believe) a lot of people is using youtube and watching actual gameplay. I've both bought and avoided certain games after seeing them played. Hearing ordinary peoples opinions is better than a reviewer, in some ways, since you can get a much wider slice of player likes and dislikes.

austin

Post by austin »

Something about human nature gravitates toward the authoritarian mindset. Something about humans crave certainty even when it cannot be found. I think this is in part an explanation for the popularity of conservative churches over liberal ones. People naturally prefer certain lies over mushy nuanced half truths, so a pastor that tells the congregation certain unalterable truths feels better to people, than saying what the hell, I don't actually know. Conservative churches, the old time gospel, will always be more popular than liberal ones for this reason. Liberal churches are really formally conservative churches which have been gradually liberalized over time. When the Catholic church eventually goes the way of all the earth and allows priests to marry and women to become priests, ironically most likely it will lead to a steep decline in attendance.

It also makes the growth and development of science a real mystery. How did science - the tacit admission that we don't know anything and can only find out by testing and falsification of our observations and experiments - develop to counteract our natural propensities to fall for lies because they are so certain and absolute, and feel better because of that.

SJW mindset is just another form of this craving for certainty - if we can explain the world as an evil misogynistic patriarchal cabal, we can feel better about our failures, whatever their real causes.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

sinister wrote:I love Fark lol! Bash anything that looks like a different opinion into the floor with prejudice. Say whatever comes to mind when faced with someone who doesn't share your opinion. Then clutch your pearls when someone points out your side are the assholes this time. Screech about civility.

http://m.fark.com/comments/8395199/I-ho ... st_f=1#new

There is a predecessor about 10 links below this one also.
I liked this one - she gets around!:
IlGreven: machoprogrammer: Son of Thunder: machoprogrammer: EVERYONE IN THE THREAD REPORTED FOR NOT CHECKING THEIR WHITE, CIS-MALE PRIVILEGE!

I checked. It's fine.

You forgot a Trigger Warning. I have PTSD from reading Fark comments; it is similar to what war veterans went through! REPORTED YOU CIS SCUM!

Melody Hensley frowns upon your shenanigans, and has reported you to your commanding officer.

Don't worry, I checked my privilege. Melody forgot to check her donut privilege

31 Aug 2014 12:27 AM

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

austin wrote:Something about human nature gravitates toward the authoritarian mindset. Something about humans crave certainty even when it cannot be found. I think this is in part an explanation for the popularity of conservative churches over liberal ones. People naturally prefer certain lies over mushy nuanced half truths, so a pastor that tells the congregation certain unalterable truths feels better to people, than saying what the hell, I don't actually know. Conservative churches, the old time gospel, will always be more popular than liberal ones for this reason. Liberal churches are really formally conservative churches which have been gradually liberalized over time. When the Catholic church eventually goes the way of all the earth and allows priests to marry and women to become priests, ironically most likely it will lead to a steep decline in attendance.

It also makes the growth and development of science a real mystery. How did science - the tacit admission that we don't know anything and can only find out by testing and falsification of our observations and experiments - develop to counteract our natural propensities to fall for lies because they are so certain and absolute, and feel better because of that.

SJW mindset is just another form of this craving for certainty - if we can explain the world as an evil misogynistic patriarchal cabal, we can feel better about our failures, whatever their real causes.

And this is also why they handwave away sexual abuse. Their peace of mind and an eternal afterlife is more important than the suffering of children.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote: etc etc etc ... these are fairly well established scientific positions now ... the left vs right really does exist ... and there are real differences in the brain between the groups (and the shades of grey in between)

The problem with SJWs / GMT conspiracy theorists/ anti-vaxxers ... is essentially they would see themselves as left wing on almost everything, apart from a few issues they hold onto dearly ... I suspect were studies done, they would find that these people are the "enlightened right wingers", people who would have been right wing, or were right wing, but have "found" the left wing through education/reason/etc ... a large number of ex-religious people fall in this group, including a MASSIVE number of US (and Australian) left wingers and atheists, people who see especially susceptible to SJW doctrines/feminism . It is not coincidental that very few of the rabid SJW/feminist types come from "liberal" places like the UK or Europe, and a significant number come from strongly religious countries like the USA with high levels of education and easy access to information.

Put another way : you can take the person out of religious dogma, but it's hard to take the religious dogma out of the person ... as it is largely a biological difference, not an intellectual choice

See http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/inter ... AFSeLyvhLI for more "detailed" info including numerous studies
You mised the most important point of the article, which echos what I said. "Business argues that liberals and conservatives need not revile one another as immoral on issues such as birth control, gay marriage or health care reform. Even if these two worldviews clash, they are equally grounded in ethics, he writes. Meanwhile studies by Jost and others suggest that political views reside on a continuum that is mediated in part by universal human emotions such as fear. Under certain circumstances, everyone can shift closer to the middle—or drift further apart."

My argument isn't that everyone is the same, but rather that conservatives are not more authoritarian or confomist. You know what, forget it. You missed th epoint once, changes are you'll miss it again...and again...and again. Enjoy.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ki ... 27s_titles
Pick a title for PZ Myers.
I like The Great Sun of Life and Great Man, Who Is a Man of Deeds
Hat-tip to @P_i_S_S

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

austin wrote:Something about human nature gravitates toward the authoritarian mindset. Something about humans crave certainty even when it cannot be found. I think this is in part an explanation for the popularity of conservative churches over liberal ones. People naturally prefer certain lies over mushy nuanced half truths, so a pastor that tells the congregation certain unalterable truths feels better to people, than saying what the hell, I don't actually know. Conservative churches, the old time gospel, will always be more popular than liberal ones for this reason. Liberal churches are really formally conservative churches which have been gradually liberalized over time. When the Catholic church eventually goes the way of all the earth and allows priests to marry and women to become priests, ironically most likely it will lead to a steep decline in attendance.

There's also the need to have their will imposed on others at work in there. A lot of people would have their opinions & preferences made public policy if given the power & time to rationalise the need for it.

strayling

Post by strayling »

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Ive heard right wing evangelicals say that contraception/abortion/gay marriage, single parenthood etc must all be made illegal otherwise god will destroy America111!!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

strayling wrote:http://i.imgur.com/w0MeZc6.jpg

*snerk*
I wish it was true but it's too good to be true.

Immanuel K

Post by Immanuel K »

AndrewV69 wrote:Things are heating up?
ZoeQuinnFalseFlag.png
This game dev. crisis looks juicy and gooey
Why the silence from the Hordes King Louie?
Other than that, I dont care much
But I rather enjoyed Killing Zoe

strayling

Post by strayling »

Tony Parsehole wrote: I wish it was true but it's too good to be true.
Yeah, I think it originated on 4chan. But oh, how much fun it would be.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

strayling wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote: I wish it was true but it's too good to be true.
Yeah, I think it originated on 4chan. But oh, how much fun it would be.
I'm quite happy at how far the A+ failure has spread.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
strayling wrote:http://i.imgur.com/w0MeZc6.jpg

*snerk*
I wish it was true but it's too good to be true.
Are you sure? Could someone possibly float this on Tumblr or somewhere else where it could get traction? I'd love to see this take off.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Tony Parsehole wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ki ... 27s_titles
Hat-tip to @P_i_S_S
Ever-Victorious, Iron-Willed (and Ever-Angry) Commander
Peerless Leader
His Excellency

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Easy J wrote:
Are you sure? Could someone possibly float this on Tumblr or somewhere else where it could get traction? I'd love to see this take off.
I'd do it if I had a tumblr. Or knew how to work tumblr. Or could be arsed.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Aneris wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ki ... 27s_titles
Hat-tip to @P_i_S_S
Ever-Victorious, Iron-Willed (and Ever-Angry) Commander
Peerless Leader
His Excellency
Dear Leader, who is a perfect incarnation of the appearance that a leader should have

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

From that Fark thread (almost replied, but I want to see if others point it out:
log_jammin: jso2897: It's the emotional context of the criticism that is so revealing in this case.

revealing of what?

That people who are made angry by something they disagree with suspect that there is some truth to it that makes them uncomfortable. People don't get angry about opinions they think are just plain wrong.
They get angry about opinions they find threatening - and nobody finds an opinion threatening if they really think it is totally wrong.

31 Aug 2014 06:00 AM
Right....when I look at the WBC protests, there must be something to them that is truthful. I guess I really am afraid that a god I don't believe in hates fags and soldiers and that unless we stone gays, the country will fall. Completely wrong logically. People get upset when things affect things or ideas they are passionate about, or care about. Has nothing to do with the truth. It can, but it doesn't have to be that way. This guy is completely ignoring that since it doesn't fit the narrative (in my opinion). Not sure if I have to register or anything with Fark to comment, though.

austin

Post by austin »

Easy J wrote:
There's also the need to have their will imposed on others at work in there. A lot of people would have their opinions & preferences made public policy if given the power & time to rationalise the need for it.
Exactly, if I know I'm right what is the point of having a discussion? But it's a bit tricky too when you apply this to science, it seems authoritarian to say I know I'm right about evolution (meaning I'm 99.99999% certain based on evidence), but the difference is I have evidence to back it up. Maybe it would make more sense to say I am almost certainly right about evolution, but we still should be cautious, who knows we could all really be an elaborate computer simulation. Religious people use this faux skepticism all the time to argue against science.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

BillHamp wrote: My argument isn't that everyone is the same, but rather that conservatives are not more authoritarian or confomist. You know what, forget it. You missed th epoint once, changes are you'll miss it again...and again...and again. Enjoy.
I see a lot of research, often by liberals, trying to show how conservatives brains are warped. In particular, this is the hobby horse of Chris Mooney, journalist, BA English. Whether its The American Prospect, Salon, WIRED, Mother Jones, or many other "progressive" zines staffed by English majors, you can find a Chris Mooney article explaining the science of how the conservative brain be stoopid.

(And I, like many pitters, consider myself fairly liberal)

For the most part, I dismiss most of this conservative brains be stoopid shit because:

+ Of the Churchillian quote (which Churchill might never have said) “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

I find this quote to accurately predict how many people I have known have traveled from high school and college to our 50s and become "conservative" by the standards of people in high school and college while we think we have stayed the same in many ways, or if we have changed, it's via education and learned experience, not by way of some sort of brain damage.

I can't tell you what the actual research says, but I will disbelieve any popular press account of conservative brains be stupid until they account for what seems to be the shift in political attitudes due to aging a mere three decades (20s to 50s).

+ If fails to explain geographic demographics of conservative and liberal behavior. Unless, it really is the water in San Francisco.

+ Many recent immigrants I have known from repressive countries are often the most conservative people I know among my peers, that includes: Chinese, Russians and Cubans.

My guess is that due to their lived experiences, their choice of conservative or liberal politics is probably more informed than my own privileged and sheltered upbringing, and that contrary to Chris Mooney, they are not brain damaged and born stoopid but actually quite smart, observant and insightful.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

JacquesCuze wrote:
BillHamp wrote: My argument isn't that everyone is the same, but rather that conservatives are not more authoritarian or confomist. You know what, forget it. You missed th epoint once, changes are you'll miss it again...and again...and again. Enjoy.
I see a lot of research, often by liberals, trying to show how conservatives brains are warped. In particular, this is the hobby horse of Chris Mooney, journalist, BA English. Whether its The American Prospect, Salon, WIRED, Mother Jones, or many other "progressive" zines staffed by English majors, you can find a Chris Mooney article explaining the science of how the conservative brain be stoopid.

(And I, like many pitters, consider myself fairly liberal)

For the most part, I dismiss most of this conservative brains be stoopid shit because:

+ Of the Churchillian quote (which Churchill might never have said) “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

I find this quote to accurately predict how many people I have known have traveled from high school and college to our 50s and become "conservative" by the standards of people in high school and college while we think we have stayed the same in many ways, or if we have changed, it's via education and learned experience, not by way of some sort of brain damage.

I can't tell you what the actual research says, but I will disbelieve any popular press account of conservative brains be stupid until they account for what seems to be the shift in political attitudes due to aging a mere three decades (20s to 50s).

+ If fails to explain geographic demographics of conservative and liberal behavior. Unless, it really is the water in San Francisco.

+ Many recent immigrants I have known from repressive countries are often the most conservative people I know among my peers, that includes: Chinese, Russians and Cubans.

My guess is that due to their lived experiences, their choice of conservative or liberal politics is probably more informed than my own privileged and sheltered upbringing, and that contrary to Chris Mooney, they are not brain damaged and born stoopid but actually quite smart, observant and insightful.
Shorter me, I consider most of this stuff to be liberal porn and that seems to be how these zine's readers appreciate it.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Sorry to diverge again, but that Fark thread is interesting. The guy who wrote the part quoted above was corrected, and he just keeps backpedaling.

As in (posted by jos2897):
Gergesa: jso2897: You equate matters like that with video games?
No, your line of logic that people don't get upset over matters that they know to be false is flat out wrong.
Not when it comes to trivial matters of abstract opinion, in my view.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree about that. I lack the authority to declare others "flat out wrong".
Simply amazing to see in close to real time. The irony burns. Makes claim, gets called on it, backs off while still claiming to be correct, and as a kicker, claims the other person is wrong while saying they lack the authority to make that claim. Wow. :popcorn:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

sinister wrote:I love Fark lol! Bash anything that looks like a different opinion into the floor with prejudice. Say whatever comes to mind when faced with someone who doesn't share your opinion. Then clutch your pearls when someone points out your side are the assholes this time. Screech about civility.

http://m.fark.com/comments/8395199/I-ho ... st_f=1#new

There is a predecessor about 10 links below this one also.
I assume this was yours?
sinisterben
thamike:
sinisterben: If you really want to see the true colors here, check out the folks on Twitter explaining that it doesn't matter that videogames are art, they still have to meet accepted requirements of inclusiveness to pass muster. How is it these "free thought liberals" manage to become neopuritans? Art is only acceptable if it meets their standards. I sure.don't want to live in that world.

Remeber the Jack Thompson MK Fatalities? I wonder how much pearl clutching would occur if those were made for Mrs. Sarkeesian.

Wait, someone did make something like that, and it was the worst thing ever done.
Let us know when any of those "free thought liberals" publicize your bank information and address and threaten to kill your family and tear up your pussy with jagged tools.

We linked to that earlier. But I know a lot is going on. Maybe you should read more before you start thinking these social justice folks are moral paragons.

austin

Post by austin »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Reminds me of the work done by Johnathan Haidt and others showing that liberals and conservatives don't even recognize the same categories of what constitutes morality as in the paper found below, as well as his books. So it's hard to come to a consensus if you don't even agree on what you're talking about.

http://projectimplicit.net/nosek/papers/GHN2009.pdf

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

sinister, if it was you, she's not "Mrs. Sarkeesian", that'd be her mom.
Though she is in cahoots with a Mr. McIntosh.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Badger3k wrote:Simply amazing to see in close to real time.
I pine for real time. I'd kill for real time. I'm still having discussions on Benson's blog and my comments often have to wait more than 12 hours to appear, as I'm still being moderated, but I'm not (yet) banned (as I am from PZ's).

Oh, and verifying the predictions of many, she mentioned that I ought to just stay in the "slime pit." I thought about correcting the spelling, as well as inviting her to come and chat here, where we'd be on equal footing WRT to moderation, but knew that would be similar to just asking to be banned.

feathers

Post by feathers »

령도자가 갖추어야 할 풍모를 완벽하게 지닌 친애하는 지도자 PZ Myers (عليه السلام‎).

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:http://33.media.tumblr.com/2d51054f9470 ... 1_1280.png

This one's for Tony.
Does anyone know of any medical research done on this otherkin mental illness? Is it covered in DSM?
It certainly seems like a mental illness to me.

I think they file it under "batshit crazy with too much time on their hands and a need to be a special snowflake."

feathers

Post by feathers »

On second thoughts, I like 불세출의 령도자, Peerless Leader, as opposed to peer-reviewed leader. Any Koreans here?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Southern wrote:[

Well, I amn safe now. I'm buying a SNES (should have never sold my old one back in the 90's in the first place) and then I'll be tracing the good old games of yore. They can ruin gaming forever from now on if they want, that will make me save money on the long run. Shitlords.
Dude, you'd flip your shit if I showed you my SNES collection. Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia (damn that's a good game), Mario World, Donkey Kong, Mario All-Stars and so much moooooore.

I never did get FF6 or Earthbound, but I eventually picked up FF4, FF5 and FF6 for my Game Boy Advance. I feel bad that I never played Secret of Evermore, since it looked cool.

All my old shit is sitting in a big box. I've been wanting to revisit Chrono Trigger for a while now. It's probably been years since I last played it, and that was my favorite game growing up.
sinister wrote:Honestly I see this akin to me telling golfers to make clubs in colors I like. Even though I don't golf why won't they make clubs I desire? Nevermind the fact that I would never purchase them, that's irrelevant! Golfers are shitlords.
That's exactly what it's like. These are feminist "gamers" who, at best, like snobbish indie games, the occasional match of phone Peggle and Words With Friends.

I don't want to go all snobbish beardbro on people just entering gaming, because as long as they're here to play games, I don't care what games they like to play or how long they've been playing. But it's pretty obvious that certain groups have no interest in playing the games and just want to blame all the imagined sexism and patriarchy of the world on gamers. Who, I might add, have been convenient scapegoats for moral ills since the 1980s.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

I, personally, see nothing wring with lycanthropy unless you combine it with an attraction to Viktor's daughter. Then you're bat-shit crazy.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

From Fark, that "Leishu" seems familiar. Especially the arguments:
sinsiterben: How about I say all bigots are bad. But I won't apologise for things I have never done. Nor do I believe gamers as a whole need to apologize for a few bigots. Gamers aren't the problem. Some people are bigots, they aren't bigots because they are gamers.
Never said all gamers were bigots. Never said all gamers had to apologize.

But if you encounter a bigot in gaming and don't speak up against it? Yes, that is called appeasement and you are culpable. That appeasement is why bigotry outright thrives in certain pockets of gaming culture, many of those being very large, and an end to that appeasement is the only way in which an end to it is even remotely in sight.

Me? I avoid those pockets, but I still call out that bigotry when I see it.
The standard you walk past...?
The idea that not saying something is appeasement? Dictionary dot com:
verb (used with object), appeased, appeasing.
to bring to a state of peace, quiet, ease, calm, or contentment; pacify; soothe:
to appease an angry king.
to satisfy, allay, or relieve; assuage:
The fruit appeased his hunger.
to yield or concede to the belligerent demands of (a nation, group, person, etc.) in a conciliatory effort, sometimes at the expense of justice or other principles.
Lack of action, inaction, is not appeasement. No more than not collecting stamps being a hobby. Appeasement is an active thing - something that is done. Now, there can be debates over inaction, over not saying something - we've (in general, not perhaps here) have had this over the whole moderates-give-support-to-extremists issue. But that's not appeasement. Does Leishu think that the bigots and such are the dominant force and need to be appeased? Does s/h/it think that they are crusaders, the lone hero working against the evil empire, or The Man? Do they were the "v" guy fawkes mask when playing or talking online? Inquiring minds want to know.

austin

Post by austin »

austin wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:
Reminds me of the work done by Johnathan Haidt and others showing that liberals and conservatives don't even recognize the same categories of what constitutes morality as in the paper found below, as well as his books. So it's hard to come to a consensus if you don't even agree on what you're talking about.

http://projectimplicit.net/nosek/papers/GHN2009.pdf
Also it may not be brain damage, as much as statistically significantly different brain wiring between liberals and conservatives, which is better who knows, as research done by John Hibbing suggests - YouTube below.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Also, not all feminist gamers are sex-negative. Google "my little ponyboy" instead of "my little pony" and you'll see what I mean.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

feathers wrote:On second thoughts, I like 불세출의 령도자, Peerless Leader, as opposed to peer-reviewed leader. Any Koreans here?
:rimshot:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:

A good article from Reason Is There a Cyber War on Women?

Well worth the read IMO. Some of the usual suspects are mentioned. I am not going to quotemine just this once but you should read it unless you are a shitlord.

Great read.

feathers

Post by feathers »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Also, not all feminist gamers are sex-negative. Google "my little ponyboy" instead of "my little pony" and you'll see what I mean.
Does it involve Kenneth Pinyan?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

feathers wrote:Does it involve Kenneth Pinyan?
Dude! Trigger warnings. Please.

Plus, ow. What a way to go.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Badger3k wrote:From Fark, that "Leishu" seems familiar. Especially the arguments:
sinsiterben: How about I say all bigots are bad. But I won't apologise for things I have never done. Nor do I believe gamers as a whole need to apologize for a few bigots. Gamers aren't the problem. Some people are bigots, they aren't bigots because they are gamers.
Never said all gamers were bigots. Never said all gamers had to apologize.

But if you encounter a bigot in gaming and don't speak up against it? Yes, that is called appeasement and you are culpable. That appeasement is why bigotry outright thrives in certain pockets of gaming culture, many of those being very large, and an end to that appeasement is the only way in which an end to it is even remotely in sight.

Me? I avoid those pockets, but I still call out that bigotry when I see it.
The standard you walk past...?
The idea that not saying something is appeasement? Dictionary dot com:
verb (used with object), appeased, appeasing.
to bring to a state of peace, quiet, ease, calm, or contentment; pacify; soothe:
to appease an angry king.
to satisfy, allay, or relieve; assuage:
The fruit appeased his hunger.
to yield or concede to the belligerent demands of (a nation, group, person, etc.) in a conciliatory effort, sometimes at the expense of justice or other principles.
Lack of action, inaction, is not appeasement. No more than not collecting stamps being a hobby. Appeasement is an active thing - something that is done. Now, there can be debates over inaction, over not saying something - we've (in general, not perhaps here) have had this over the whole moderates-give-support-to-extremists issue. But that's not appeasement. Does Leishu think that the bigots and such are the dominant force and need to be appeased? Does s/h/it think that they are crusaders, the lone hero working against the evil empire, or The Man? Do they were the "v" guy fawkes mask when playing or talking online? Inquiring minds want to know.
http://i.imgur.com/yifvKQE.jpg

When you say nothing, you are an appeasing shitlord.
When I say nothing, I just realize I don't understand all the facts of a situation, and then suddenly, I am being prudent. you are an appeasing shitlord.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Badger3k wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:I can't see any issues with SJW's affecting games as they constantly lie about them, as they do with everything else. That is their Achilles heal. People who actually buy and play games know the truth of game content and won't take them seriously. If the SJW's were not so lazy and bigoted and actually provided intelligent and well researched analyses they may have added some value to an interesting topic. But of course they will waste that opportunity and anyway, it has already being done by people with a far deeper understanding of what they are commenting on.

As to game reviews I have never taken much notice of them. It is not how gamers make buying decisions, just a part of it. They are not trained journalists and have no concept of integrity and never did. I'm surprised people are surprised. I'm also surprised at the puffed up sense of importance some clearly have.

SJW's will always use any tactic to push their agenda. The people who matter though are the consumers and only the easily persuaded will fall for their tricks. I will continue to play the games I like and have no reason to believe they will not still be made.

The main newspapers are dying out fast. Papers such as the Guardian are desperate to push sales so have jumped on the SJW bandwagon faster than they can check their bank balance. But no one cares about them or their opinion except a few self appointed loud mouths. It is the last gasp of a dying industry.
I do read reviews, but the bigger draw for me and (I believe) a lot of people is using youtube and watching actual gameplay. I've both bought and avoided certain games after seeing them played. Hearing ordinary peoples opinions is better than a reviewer, in some ways, since you can get a much wider slice of player likes and dislikes.
I have gaming friends with over-lapping tastes. Plus I don't rush-out and buy. Most games I buy, I buy months and months after the initial release so the strengths and weaknesses of the games are known.

The waiting also provides other information and I have found one of the best ways to understand the quality of a game (at least with PC games) how quickly the price drops. Really good games -- like Skyrim -- tend to hold their price for a very long time. Bad games -- like Dragon Age 2 -- go to discount quickly.

So if a game is out 3 months and is going for $19.99, I know it's pretty bad within its genre and it's not making sales. If it's a year later and still going for $59.99 I know it's probably considered pretty good within its genre.

Indy games don't follow this rule. And I haven't quite figured out the indy-game market-place rules yet. But I tend to avoid indy-games. If I wanted to game like it was 1994, I'd go to Good Old Games and relive 1994.

And there were a LOT of good games I played in 1994 -- Warcraft, Lands of Lore, Wing Commander III, System Shock, Doom II, XCOM UFO Defense... Frankly, I haven't seen many years as good as 1994 for video games.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:령도자가 갖추어야 할 풍모를 완벽하게 지닌 친애하는 지도자 PZ Myers (عليه السلام‎).
I do not speak Ching-Chong apart from a couple of words in Cantonese & Hakka and long since forgotten. But I am going to pick a nit even though my Arabic is only a little bit better so ... with that said (عليه السلام‎) tranlates to (Peace be unto him) which is all kinds of wrong.

Because English speaking Muslims would write (PBUH) or (P.B.U.H) and an Arabic speaking Muslim would never write it like that. Well, none that I know of anyway.
P.B.U.H. These letters are abbreviations for the words Peace Be Upon Him which are the meaning of the Arabic expression " 'Alaihis Salam", which is an expression that is said when the name of a prophet is mentioned. This expression is widely used by English speaking Muslims. It is to be noticed here that this expression does not give the full meaning of "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam". Therefore it is recommended that people do not use (p.b.u.h.) after the name of prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.); they should use "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam" instead, or they may use the abbreviated form of (s.a.w)

(or (saws) or (SAW) or (SAWS) in writing.)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

It's the old "you're either part of the problem or part of the solution" "with us or against us" mantra. There's no room for people who just want to enjoy games. You're either with the SJWs or you're a shitlord. Even if you are a woman. Hell, especially if you are a woman.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:On second thoughts, I like 불세출의 령도자, Peerless Leader, as opposed to peer-reviewed leader. Any Koreans here?
I suspect 16Bit may know Korean. Try her on Twatter @Miichinnyeon

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Kirbmarc wrote:
It's the old "you're either part of the problem or part of the solution" "with us or against us" mantra. There's no room for people who just want to enjoy games. You're either with the SJWs or you're a shitlord. Even if you are a woman. Hell, especially if you are a woman.
Can that be flipped on them with the latest scandal over the gaming press conflict of interests?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Easy J wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Can that be flipped on them with the latest scandal over the gaming press conflict of interests?
No - it's ok when they do it. When you are on the side of everything good and right, the ends justify the means.

However, it can be used in debates or arguments and can show off their hypocrisy to observers.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Kirbmarc wrote:
But if you encounter a bigot people fucking the press to promote their product in gaming and don't speak up against it? Yes, that is called appeasement and you are culpable. That appeasement is why bigotry dishonesty & conflicts of interest outright thrive in certain pockets of gaming culture, many of those being very large, and an end to that appeasement is the only way in which an end to it is even remotely in sight.
There. I tried.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:

Pinyan was a horsekin oppressed by the patriarchal shitlords (and pressed by the horse).

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oh boy, the Third World has some good gems that would flip the SJW minds trying to sort it out. Let me share the last one with you all and maybe someone can ask Suey Park and her ilk on what is the right answer to this dillema:

Last Wednesday, during a football match between Gremio x Santos, the home team (Gremio) was losing 0-2. Santos's goalkeeper, a player amazingly named Aranha (Spider), went to the referee and complaining that Gremio's fans behind the goal were shouting racist epithets to him. The TV then captured one of the fans doing the shouting: a blonde girl clearing saying "macaco" (monkey). Then they showed 10 or so guys doing the same - the amazing thing is, two of them were Black themselves, so you can use this to attest that soccer makes people really dumb.

Well. Immediately after the game, some people discovered this blonde girl's Facebook page and started harassing the shit out of her, so much that she had to delete her account. Then her house was defaced, she lost her job the next day, and she and her family had to disappear (it's Sunday and apparently they still haven't managed to get back to their home).

So now we have a documented, public case of harassment of a female over Facebook and real life harassment that Anita Sarkeesian just wish she could use to her benefit. The problem is, she was caught on national television being a racist prick, so I wonder what would the Social Justice Brigade think is on the right here. Because someone has to be on the right, since it's a POC versm a woman.

The fuckwittery doesn't end there, of course. No, there's more layers. Apparently this girl's boyfriend is, amazingly enough, a Black guy. And the goalkeeper targeted by the racist remarks? People started publishing videos of him chanting with his team's fans "Rogério, viado" (which roughly translates to "Rogério, you faggot" - refering to Rogério Ceni, São Paulo's goalkeeper). You see, the adversaries' fans love to call the São Paulo's players and fans "bambis" (the Disney character), because they see the team as the "faggot" team, for some reason (see above: soccer making people really dumb).

So there you have it. Racism, misogyny and homophobia on the same plate, except it's the female racist suffering from misogyny, the homophobic Black guy suffering from racism, and everybody involved in the name calling looking very stupid.

It's too bad we don't have a PZ Myers here (yet), because I would love to see how the fuck does he and his cronies pin this to the usual "white male MRA" scapegoat.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Badger3k wrote: I assume this was yours?
That's me. I earned a year of TF in the thread apparently. I tried my best, lol.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Can't win with Leishu. Best not to play that game.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Kirbmarc wrote:Pinyan was a horsekin oppressed by the patriarchal shitlords (and pressed by the horse).
You should die on the spike of an equine erection, you fucking rape apologist. Even if Pinyan did ask for consent, the answer was clearly a neigh.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Haha, now I find out the thread was never about gamers. Man some people just can't be wrong.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

Kirbmarc wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:

Pinyan was a horsekin oppressed by the patriarchal shitlords (and pressed by the horse).
For some reason I remember this guy being called Mr Hands. No idea why.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

And this woman had a real obsession with the guys balls.

[youtube]9sZ3-QQxoP8[/youtube]

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Hey, Ophelia, if you're reading this, I found your comment about "ethical ways of disagreeing" to be one of the funniest pieces of self-unaware and ironic bullshit that I've seen in a while. I love you, girl. Log in some time so we can chat on an equal footing, OK?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Kirbmarc wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:

A friend whose grandparents had a large ranch/farm in Brazil told me that she once had to help a farmworker who'd been pleasuring himself with a ewe, and whose penis had been trapped - apparently sheep clamp down with their vagina during or at the end of intercourse.

Guys, don't do that.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

BarnOwl wrote:
A friend whose grandparents had a large ranch/farm in Brazil told me that she once had to help a farmworker who'd been pleasuring himself with a ewe, and whose penis had been trapped - apparently sheep clamp down with their vagina during or at the end of intercourse.

Guys, don't do that.
So who had the least informed consent in this situation? :think:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

So uhm, didn't Mr. Cavanaugh say that he was having an affair with Jennifer Lawrence in his head?

NSFW, alleged leaked nudes of JL:

http://www.thesuperficial.com/photos/je ... e-naked-03