Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Lsuoma »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I do realize that joke may fall shortwith the Page-change.

Git

Post by Git »

Angry_Drunk wrote:You know what the difference between Damion and Steersman is?
About three Service Packs?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Lsuoma wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I do realize that joke may fall shortwith the Page-change.
I've just realized you don't have an Edit button. Poor you.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

austin wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
austin wrote:Was Theon Greyjoy always an asshole, or is he a more sympathetic asshole now that he has been reduced to Reekhood. An eternal question.
I never read the book, but I liked Theon a lot, actually. In the tv show he comes across as more inexperienced. Like a decent person who never had that role model to slap him around and help him grow as a person. There are so many films and books where a Theon-like character grows and develops and becomes an heroic figure.

What happened to him was, in my opinion, more horrifying than the Red Wedding.

I predict this opinion will prove more inflammatory than the Israel-Palestine discussion!
Ugh you Ironborn supporting fuckpuddle!!!!!

Seriously though, Theon sold out the Starks to win glory from his father, offed a couple of kids and then murdered some people who'd practically raised him. So yes he was always an arsehole. Don't get me wrong, no one deserves Ramsay Bolton, but I am constantly amused by his fate as the pitiful broken pet that is Reek, I have no real sympathy for the character at all. The best he deserves is a mercy killing.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I like to say "realize". And "chimichanga".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Yeah, Theon killed a couple of random kids. I sympathize with him for the torture he's since endured, but if someone's going to be treated that way then it might as well be him.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Thanks everyone, for the warm bukkake shower of love, literary encouragement, and offers of shelter.

But the absence of bile and mockery was downright unbecoming of the the Pit.

You have a reputation to uphold, people.

OK, lets start with this sentence from your previous post:
About half my Tinder dates are huge SJWs.

http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/3262015/lindy.png

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.es ... s_like.jpg

??????
I hope you don't have to buy them dinner first.

katamari Damassi

Service Dog wrote:Thanks everyone, for the warm bukkake shower of love, literary encouragement, and offers of shelter.

But the absence of bile and mockery was downright unbecoming of the the Pit.

You have a reputation to uphold, people.
You think that's bukkake? Come stay in my guest room and I'll show you bukkake!

welch

Post by welch »

Glen_Davidson wrote:
welch wrote:
Glen_Davidson wrote: Oh, poor Welch, he can't be bothered with reading something that discusses nuance and real differences, rather than reflecting his own ham-fisted judgments.

So he repeats his mindless denunciations.

It's just black and white to him. But it's ok when he does it.

See, I can say that, too. The difference is that I can (and did) discuss why it's not me doing the same, while he just goes ahead and does the same instead of even considering another opinion.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p
Rather than kvetching at me for supposedly not reading what you wrote, maybe YOU should read what your wrote. Because there's rather a lot of justification for PZ's behavior when it was convenient for you. This one in particular:
Creationism is prima facie ridiculous, and remains so to its very fundament. Disagreeing with SJW prejudices is not. That is a legitimate cause for the difference in response to his black/white thinking on creationism, vs. his black/white thinking on social justice.
Is precisely what I was talking about. As long as PZ was being himself in a convenient manner, you were fine with it. Oh you might tut-tut at him for being a BIT over the top, but really, you didn't mind too much, because fuck those guys
Look, moron, there's a huge difference between being right about science and being "right" about "social justice," and you're either too stubborn, too stupid, or likely both, to acknowledge the difference.

How is one to reason with a creationist?

And fuck you and your SIWOTI syndrome, I am not the cop of the internets. I know that I ignored a lot, because there's no gain for anybody for me to go around denouncing what I dislike on forums filled with sycophants. I learned that long ago, and I'm not about to change and be an ass like you anywhere and everywhere.
It was only when he started doing the exact same thing in a way you found inconvenient that your peeziphany occurred.
Liar. I always found him to be egregious, and, as I noted, it's in the record at Talkorigins. I'm just not some self-righteous jerk like you are, unable to get along because I happen not to agree with everything happening at a place.
Hell, that shit about how he used to not ban people is laughable. He's always had a list of people he banned for relentless failure to agree with him. It just used to be only creationists and similar, and so it was easier for you to justify it.
He did not always have a list of the banned (or at least we weren't always privy to it), you ignoramus, and a lot of the people on his earlier list really had acted like trolls. Don't know about all of them, because, as I said, I'm not a pompous ass like you who thinks that if something is wrong somewhere that I have to self-righteously whine about it.
PZ has always been PZ. It's his recent inconvenience you find so troubling.
Yes, like I said, you mindless twit. And gave reasons, many of which you conveniently ignored.

It's still the idiotic false dichotomy in your pack of lies, bolstered by several counterfactual claims.

I think I'm going to have see if dear fascist tit will change my registered name so I can continue to use my real name while putting this troll on "ignore." Relentlessly "right," and impossibly bigoted, much like Peezus.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p

There's nothing better than trying to be reasonably calm and rational with someone, and watching them lose their shit because you make the unforgivable sin of not agreeing with them.

Extra "points" for the "YOU ARE JUST LIKE PZ" shit. That'll show me.

Just put me on ignore. and then, please, actually ignore me. don't half-ass it where you keep coming back to remind me you're ignoring me. Do it like a grownup.

welch

Post by welch »

Git wrote:
Well-done sir, well-done indeed!

windy

Post by windy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Here you go monsewer:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... st10168095
Tanks!
cornsail wrote:I hate to do it, but I've gotta agree with PZ here. The suicide of some cishet neurotypical old rich white guy is nothing but a petty distraction from the truly important issues going on in our society. Minorities are being shot and choked to death by cops, conference goers are wearing mean shirts, people are saying mean things on twitter... the list goes on. Some people (boy do I hate them!) are even insisting that "atheist" simply means "does not believe in god". It's clear that the media was just looking for an excuse to stop covering the Michael Brown story, a story which I'm assuming they were somehow involuntarily forced to cover against their will in the first place.
:lol: :clap:

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

welch wrote:
Dornier Pfeil wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2401/225 ... 524839.jpg

What you see here is a tank. This tank is used by the local County Sheriff's office. This tank is mainly used to raid businesses for hiring undocumented labor. Why the Sheriff needs a fucking tank to round up a bunch of dishwashers and line cooks has never been explained.
That isn't not actually a tank. It is mobile artillery, although if the gun is fired with a flat trajectory it will do nicely for tank firepower even if it has a very thin skin.
Why the fuck does a police force need a mobile artillery piece?
Mobile Artillery.jpg
Because if they don't have one, then they don't have the biggest dicks. Duh.
http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/d ... de40bb.jpg

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Git wrote:
clap.gif
(188.66 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Angry_Drunk wrote:In the interests of accuracy and proper skepticism I must sadly admit that I was hasty in posting that last picture. This is the actual MCSO armored vehicle.
DSC_0839.jpg
Still of little use in rounding up illegals.
It's also worth pointing out that the LAPD has had those things forever. One appeared in the 1987 film Dragnet, and also in Die Hard if memory serves.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

austin wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
austin wrote:Was Theon Greyjoy always an asshole, or is he a more sympathetic asshole now that he has been reduced to Reekhood. An eternal question.
I never read the book, but I liked Theon a lot, actually. In the tv show he comes across as more inexperienced. Like a decent person who never had that role model to slap him around and help him grow as a person. There are so many films and books where a Theon-like character grows and develops and becomes an heroic figure.

What happened to him was, in my opinion, more horrifying than the Red Wedding.

I predict this opinion will prove more inflammatory than the Israel-Palestine discussion!
Good analysis. All I'Z saying rather clumsily, is that in matters like was person X always a dick or did he/she become a dick, sometimes is a matter of perspective, even if you have all the facts. Was Bill Clinton (Thomas Jefferson, Ronald Reagan, fill in the blank), on balance a good president or bad, (won't put GWB there - that's too easy) - will largely depend on your perspective even if you agree on all the facts. That's all I'Z saying. Some of these things can't be resolved with reason IMO.
Sorry, my Steers software was running and I took your statement as a literal question. :lol:

Well, once the discussion veers into questions of motivation, there's no way to prove anything. A lot of people think Reagan was satan, but I spent a fair amount of time studying his presidency and really can't agree with that assessment, myself. Very few people seem "all good" or "all evil" when examined.

However, if there is an upside to PZ Myers, I have yet to encounter it. Maybe he's a nice person in real life. Maybe he's a good husband and father. Maybe all this bile and rage he spews at anyone who disagrees with him is limited to discussions of certain topics.

But I wouldn't want to bet money on any of those things being true. 8-)

And people give Bush too much credit for being evil. Obama caught the authoritarian police state ball Bush Jr. threw and has run that sucker single-handed into the end zone. Now he's using drones to record his celebratory chicken dance.

James Caruthers

Richard Dworkins wrote:

Seriously though, Theon sold out the Starks to win glory from his father, offed a couple of kids and then murdered some people who'd practically raised him. So yes he was always an arsehole. Don't get me wrong, no one deserves Ramsay Bolton, but I am constantly amused by his fate as the pitiful broken pet that is Reek, I have no real sympathy for the character at all. The best he deserves is a mercy killing.
I'm surprised to hear you say this.

It's pretty obvious Theon longed for the approval his father never gave him. In fact, his family as a whole viewed him largely as an outsider, and this was due to events that were out of his control and he couldn't have changed if he wanted to. Although the Starks accepted him more, it's also clear within the story that Theon did not feel entirely accepted as a son with them. Theon sided with his birth father because he wanted to have somewhere to belong, IMO.

Yes, we can argue he SHOULD have sided with the Starks, and chosen the people who raised him over the bloodline. But GoT is based on a medieval society in which blood ties were considered of paramount importance.

As for killing children, pssht, this is game of thrones. Everyone kills children all the time. Even the characters who are never explicitly shown killing a child probably killed on off-screen just so Martin could piss in the faces of the people who like that character. Guts from Berserk has done way worse shit than that, and he's the damn main character. :lol:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

another lurker wrote:Sweet, TFA takes a swipe at PZ over Williams suicide
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -williams/
:snnh: :snnh: :snnh:

welch

Post by welch »

Someone on yet another facebook chain about PZ got pissed at the gender imbalance in insults, and I thought "Gee, she's right. I bet with a little work, I could lead the way in creating equality when insulting someone."

So I did...
Okay, I'll play. And I agree. More people should spend the time to gender-balance their insults.

Besides, PZ isn't a cunt. There are usages where "cunt" can be almost a bit of bonhomie between friends, a rude version of "homie" as it were. It's more common in the UK, but there are times when it's not just a pejorative. And the talk during the sexy times.

There's no time when PZ isn't just a pejorative.

Anymore, PZ is a vagely-sentient gibbering blob of cockspit whose uselessness is made greater by the knowledge that he only exists because smarter sperm swim slower. He's a third testicle growing out of atheism's forehead, in that while he attracts attention, he's not of any real use, and causes far more problems than he's worth. While I heartily laughed at Laden's "men are testosterone-damaged women" stupidity, PZ does prove that the broken clock theory applies even to idiocy that doth shine down from the mountain like the light from a particularly stupid star.

He's a small man with short man's disease and is only a giant SUV away from proving that his dick is as small as everyone thinks it must be, and he hasn't done anything as a "scientist" in so long, that it's almost an insult to lump him in with the women and men who are actually doing science.

I only pray that all his kids look like the milkman. What a horrible fate to trace one's genetics back through that clotted-up waste of a prostate.

There. See? Two-three paragraphs of gloriously obscene (and alliterative) insults and not a single pejorative reference to women or women's parts. (if some of you are feeling a vestigial need for a priest, I understand.)

"Cunt's" actually mild in comparison. It's just that people are sometimes lazy about insulting people. I view it as something one should take the time to do right.
I'm a helper.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Cliché Guevara wrote: Because if they don't have one, then they don't have the biggest dicks. Duh.
http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/d ... de40bb.jpg[/quote]

What's the TIS (Taslima Index of Satisfaction) for this?

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

welch:
PZ is a cunt.
I qualify my cunt-calling with a definition.
Noun - an offensive word used to decribe someone who is so utterly obnoxious no other word or phrase can accurately paint a mental picture of this person's personality...or lack of it.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

welch wrote: What I want to know is why people *cling* to this moronic fantasy that PZ used to be "different". He was NEVER different. Ever. His behavior has not changed a fucking jot or tittle.

The only thing, the ONLY thing he changed was where he was aiming his bullshit. That quote proves it, and it shows how deeply people were willing to fling aside their vaunted worship of reason and rationality if doing so let them better attack "approved" targets.

But no one wants to fucking admit that, because then rather a lot of people will have to admit that they enabled him and helped create this problem. It's like the U.S. being shocked, shocked, that their practice of supporting dictators as long as they were right-wing and not communists has blown up in their faces.

again.

PZ was never different. He just wasn't as inconvenient as he is now.
I have mixed feelings about your criticism. PZ was always over the top, and actually I've always thought a lot of his regulars were even more over the top than he was. I thought some of the flame wars in his comment section were ridiculous, even back when I was still enjoying that place. Some of his antics deserve to be denounced no matter who they are aimed at; I would not be more comfortable with his libel of Michael Shermer if he had targeted Micheal Behe instead.

On the other hand, I don't think making asshole comments on the internet is a universally deplorable action. I take a similar line on internet ridicule and verbal hostility that I take on physical hostility; I'm not a pacifist, and I think the justification for the hostility is part of what determines whether it was appropriate. It might be OK for me to beat up a would-be burglar, but unacceptable for me to punch my research adviser the following day. You'd be right in protesting that my behavior was the same, and only the target had changed, but I don't think I have to denounce physical violence generally in order to hold that one action was OK and the other wasn't.

I initially viewed PZ Myers as someone fighting for reason and science against people trying to undermine both. I didn't quit his blog because I think his methods were always bad*; I quit because he is now applying them in a way that hurts the causes I care about. I think most of his creationist targets were justifiable. I don't think we have to pull punches when dealing with people who make a living by undermining science and scientific literacy in a country that badly needs more of it.

Ironically I feel the same way about the pit. Some of what is said and posted on here is arguably offensive. Certainly I would be angry if I were ridiculed on here in the way that PZ is ridiculed. On the other hand, I think PZ has done a lot to earn the ridicule he gets, so I view it as mostly justified. If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it.

*In hindsite I grant that I should have been more concerned with some of his antics than I was at the time.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
austin wrote:PZ Myers reminds me a lot of Justin Bieber. Like Bieber, he has a loyal adoring set of fans, but most outsiders see him as a self-inflated small-minded talentless little prick.
I don't listen to pop music but even I'm going to say that is a little unfair to the Bieber.

Yeah. He did make it in the music business, which eats incredibly talented people alive, even if he sings the kind of music most of us probably don't care much for... And that's paid rewards, not only money but Beiber has to beat good looking women off with a stick. And he was dating Selena Gomez who made Maxim's Hot - 100 coming in at the #2 spot.

http://cdn2.maxim.com/maxim/sites/defau ... ez_880.jpg

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Tribble wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
austin wrote:PZ Myers reminds me a lot of Justin Bieber. Like Bieber, he has a loyal adoring set of fans, but most outsiders see him as a self-inflated small-minded talentless little prick.
I don't listen to pop music but even I'm going to say that is a little unfair to the Bieber.

Yeah. He did make it in the music business, which eats incredibly talented people alive, even if he sings the kind of music most of us probably don't care much for... And that's paid rewards, not only money but Beiber has to beat good looking women off with a stick. And he was dating Selena Gomez who made Maxim's Hot - 100 coming in at the #2 spot.

http://cdn2.maxim.com/maxim/sites/defau ... ez_880.jpg
[youtube]NgS6nqzzRCQ[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I had a couple of whisky & coke with Ernst Hemingway's godson back in 2007. I'm saying this now because I just learned Claude Brasseur was Hemingway's godson. Maybe my questions should have been more interesting than "want another one?".

Richard Dworkins

James Caruthers wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:

It's pretty obvious Theon longed for the approval his father never gave him. In fact, his family as a whole viewed him largely as an outsider, and this was due to events that were out of his control and he couldn't have changed if he wanted to. Although the Starks accepted him more, it's also clear within the story that Theon did not feel entirely accepted as a son with them. Theon sided with his birth father because he wanted to have somewhere to belong, IMO.
Well that's certainly an interpretation but to me Theon's main focus has always been Theon. He firstly wanted to ally the Ironborn with the Starks so he could come out showered in glory, then finding out his prick of a father wasn't interested, betrayed his friends for his father, then he found out he wasn't the favoured son, compounded that betrayal by invading Winterfell against his father's explicit instructions and killed some of the people who raised him (as well as the kids) all so he could be a player.
James Caruthers wrote: Yes, we can argue he SHOULD have sided with the Starks, and chosen the people who raised him over the bloodline. But GoT is based on a medieval society in which blood ties were considered of paramount importance.
We could, I'm not. I'm just saying that he betrayed his allies and murdered lots of people. His motivations themselves may be tragic but that doesn't really excuse them. From Rob Stark's POV his friend betrayed him killed his two brothers and stole his family Home, so obviously he was going to wish an end to Theon, he had no idea that Ramsay Bolton was such an appalling nutcase when Roose Bolton suggested he send his bastard to reclaim Winterfell. Theon did everything wrong, compounded his errors when he had plenty of opportunity to do otherwise and
ultimately paid a very heavy price for his constant "I'll show them" style disobedience. His torture is grim but if he had only listened to anyone other than himself none of it would have happened. To be fair though, Rob Stark suffered from a very similar problem.
James Caruthers wrote: As for killing children, pssht, this is game of thrones. Everyone kills children all the time. Even the characters who are never explicitly shown killing a child probably killed on off-screen just so Martin could piss in the faces of the people who like that character. Guts from Berserk has done way worse shit than that, and he's the damn main character. :lol:
That's a fair point but it doesn't make it any better. Though grant Martin some credit, he's also done the opposite and made one of the most smug arrogant murderous bastards who was practically introduced trying to kill a kid so he could fuck his sister someone who the audience roots for.

As for Berserk, is that the old anime with the muscle-bound shirtless guy who keeps ripping peoples spines out and the like? If so it's been a long long long time since I seen it and can barely recall it.

Richard Dworkins

James Caruthers wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:

Well that's certainly an interpretation but to me Theon's main focus has always been Theon. He firstly wanted to ally the Ironborn with the Starks so he could come out showered in glory, then finding out his prick of a father wasn't interested, betrayed his friends for his father, then he found out he wasn't the favoured son, compounded that betrayal by invading Winterfell against his father's explicit instructions and killed some of the people who raised him (as well as the kids) all so he could be a player.
James Caruthers wrote: Yes, we can argue he SHOULD have sided with the Starks, and chosen the people who raised him over the bloodline. But GoT is based on a medieval society in which blood ties were considered of paramount importance.
We could, I'm not. I'm just saying that he betrayed his allies and murdered lots of people. His motivations themselves may be tragic but that doesn't really excuse them. From Rob Stark's POV his friend betrayed him killed his two brothers and stole his family Home, so obviously he was going to wish an end to Theon, he had no idea that Ramsay Bolton was such an appalling nutcase when Roose Bolton suggested he send his bastard to reclaim Winterfell. Theon did everything wrong, compounded his errors when he had plenty of opportunity to do otherwise and
ultimately paid a very heavy price for his constant "I'll show them" style disobedience. His torture is grim but if he had only listened to anyone other than himself none of it would have happened. To be fair though, Rob Stark suffered from a very similar problem.
James Caruthers wrote: As for killing children, pssht, this is game of thrones. Everyone kills children all the time. Even the characters who are never explicitly shown killing a child probably killed on off-screen just so Martin could piss in the faces of the people who like that character. Guts from Berserk has done way worse shit than that, and he's the damn main character. :lol:
That's a fair point but it doesn't make it any better. Though grant Martin some credit, he's also done the opposite and made one of the most smug arrogant murderous bastards who was practically introduced trying to kill a kid so he could fuck his sister someone who the audience roots for.

As for Berserk, is that the old anime with the muscle-bound shirtless guy who keeps ripping peoples spines out and the like? If so it's been a long long long time since I seen it and can barely recall it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Richard Dworkins

I've never had much time for Myers. I've always found him too needy, disingenuous and pandering. When, a long time ago, people used to post links to his blog on other fora, I would occasionally read him and find him needlessly obnoxious, he always seemed to me like a wannabe.

In short...

https://i.imgflip.com/b5shc.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Peez's latest post shows a picture of a fry-up he had for breakfast. Nowt wrong with that of course, though the fry-up in question was sorely lacking in HP sauce and fried bread. Anyways - in typical fry-up fashion, one could count bacon, sausage and black pudding amongst the ingredients. Luvly! And I do hope Peez enjoyed it. But -

Well -

- anyone recall that not so long ago, Peez decided to veggie for 'ethical reasons'? So what happened to that, then?

(Not that I can really blame him for lapsing when faced with a fry-up. Perhaps not so much (another) example of Peez's hypocrisy, more a statement on human weakness in the face of bacon.)

Anyways, in the unlikely event that this becomes an issue, I look forward to Nerd of Redhead rushing to Peez's defence with a variation on his air-travel argument: 'That eating bacon and sausages doesn't compromise PZ's status as a vegetarian, because someone was going to eat those things anyway.'

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Richard Dworkins wrote:I've never had much time for Myers. I've always found him too needy, disingenuous and pandering. When, a long time ago, people used to post links to his blog on other fora, I would occasionally read him and find him needlessly obnoxious, he always seemed to me like a wannabe.

In short...

Myers just got lucky - he was an atheist blogger attacking the lunacy of religious fundamentalists before the bigger names and more educated people got blogs and YouTube channels

Since Dawkins, Harris, Coyne, Krauss, Shermer, Penn, and a host of others got onto the Internet game, PZ has always been on a downward path and he knows it. And then there is the host of really smart up and coming people to contend with too, PZ is out of his depth and time. He missed his opportunity and now is desperately clinging on to whatever he can, which is right now Feminism

PZ is far from a feminist, he just knows its the only shot he has left

James Caruthers

I think any attempt from me to explain Berserk would do it a disservice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=berserk ... 04&bih=920

Here's a GIS link to a bunch of the panels. I think what you were trying to recall was Fist of the North Star, Dworkins. What I like about Berserk is it doesn't go out of its way to piss on the fans in the way I'd argue Game of Thrones does, but it also doesn't pull any punches. SJWs would hate Berserk because practically every panel would trigger them.

acathode

Post by acathode »

James Caruthers wrote: Exactly.

Myers treated christians like absolute shit. I never liked him even when he was beating up on the "right" targets. His level of toxicity went well beyond what 99% of christians deserved.

Most christians' only crime is that they believed the things people they trusted told them, and raised their children according to the values they were taught. Some christians are dishonest, but a lot of them are genuinely ignorant in the classical sense of the word. Still others are simply weak people who require an emotional crutch, and I'm not going to beat up on someone for being too weak to face life without a comforting sky daddy.
I kinda agree, and at the same time disagree... I wasn't very familiar with PZ before the tf00t debacle, but from what I've read of "old PZ" - yes he was most certainly the same kind of petty asshole then as he is now.

On the other hand, since then, some of the things PZ have done and said against atheists and "the atheist movement", I think is unparalleled to anything old PZ did to Christians or creationists. For example, what he did against Shermer goes way and beyond any mean shit he said or did any of the religious (AFAIK). He's also been working continuously to widen the rifts, burn bridges, cause drama and tear down others within the A/S community for a long time, causing way more damage to other atheists than what he ever caused religious.

Also, AFAIK, the inherit racism and sexism that comes bundled with the SJW dogmas, was not as apparent in old PZ as it is in new PZ - (AFAIK) you wouldn't for example see PZ, with racist and sexist undertones, piss all over the death of someone like Williams. Of course, he'd gladly be an asshole and piss all over the death of some religious back then, but at least he wouldn't be a racist/sexist asshole (which at least IMO is a worse).

I think PZ is the same man then as he is now, little has changed in his head save for which he identify as tribe members, but I also think that when you look at his actions, he's done a great deal more harm and bad things these last couple of years to atheists, than what he did the years before to religious. So... I wouldn't be to harsh on atheists who discovered what a sad, shitty little man PZ was just recently. Most of the ones I've seen point to Shermergate as their point of realization, and that kinda makes sense, as it was a asshole move beyond anything PZ had ever done before.

Richard Dworkins

DeepInsideYourMind wrote: Myers just got lucky - he was an atheist blogger attacking the lunacy of religious fundamentalists before the bigger names and more educated people got blogs and YouTube channels

Since Dawkins, Harris, Coyne, Krauss, Shermer, Penn, and a host of others got onto the Internet game, PZ has always been on a downward path and he knows it. And then there is the host of really smart up and coming people to contend with too, PZ is out of his depth and time. He missed his opportunity and now is desperately clinging on to whatever he can, which is right now Feminism

PZ is far from a feminist, he just knows its the only shot he has left
Sure, that's kind of how I see him too, a little backwater ranter of the same ilk as those he often complains about who accidentally made a big splash and thought "hey me being an asshole works!" Problem with that is when you're a public arsehole people will think you are an arsehole. That's fine if you're Bill O'Reilly or Richard Littlejohn working for and funded the hysterical press but in a domain where people are gathering on the basis of being tired of domineering ranting arseholes getting their way, being one is not a good look.

If he had any brains he would have railed it in long ago. Now he's just a tiresome cliché.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:Peez's latest post shows a picture of a fry-up he had for breakfast. Nowt wrong with that of course, though the fry-up in question was sorely lacking in HP sauce and fried bread. Anyways - in typical fry-up fashion, one could count bacon, sausage and black pudding amongst the ingredients. Luvly! And I do hope Peez enjoyed it. But -

Well -

- anyone recall that not so long ago, Peez decided to veggie for 'ethical reasons'? So what happened to that, then?

(Not that I can really blame him for lapsing when faced with a fry-up. Perhaps not so much (another) example of Peez's hypocrisy, more a statement on human weakness in the face of bacon.)

Anyways, in the unlikely event that this becomes an issue, I look forward to Nerd of Redhead rushing to Peez's defence with a variation on his air-travel argument: 'That eating bacon and sausages doesn't compromise PZ's status as a vegetarian, because someone was going to eat those things anyway.'
The Fry Up Inspector on the BBC.
The home page.

Richard Dworkins

James Caruthers wrote:I think any attempt from me to explain Berserk would do it a disservice.

Here's a GIS link to a bunch of the panels. I think what you were trying to recall was Fist of the North Star, Dworkins. What I like about Berserk is it doesn't go out of its way to piss on the fans in the way I'd argue Game of Thrones does, but it also doesn't pull any punches. SJWs would hate Berserk because practically every panel would trigger them.
Oh thanks, the art looks lovely, I'll have a gander at that later. I think you may be right, Fist of the Northstar rings a bell. The only Manga and Anime I've invested much time in is Neon Genesis Evangelion and the truly wonderful Lone Wolf and Cub but my cousin used to send me loads of stuff, Trigun, Death-Note, Serial Experiments Lain and the like.

Again, thanks.

windy

Post by windy »

welch wrote: What I want to know is why people *cling* to this moronic fantasy that PZ used to be "different". He was NEVER different. Ever. His behavior has not changed a fucking jot or tittle.

The only thing, the ONLY thing he changed was where he was aiming his bullshit. That quote proves it, and it shows how deeply people were willing to fling aside their vaunted worship of reason and rationality if doing so let them better attack "approved" targets.
That's probably part of it, but I don't agree that the target makes all the difference. For example, PZ and the commentariat used to be pretty strongly for "no one has the right not to be offended" type of argument. Which is fine, but if you're going to dish it out then you'd better be prepared to take it. Nowadays, that's clearly out the window when it comes to SJW-protected groups.

PZ, along with Ophelia et al, also used to argue that it's pointless to expect atheists or scientists to present some kind of unified front of civility in order to attract more people to the cause. Now, it's the complete opposite - they're constantly whining about other atheists hurting the cause and allegedly chasing all the non-dudebros away.

Maybe he was only paying lip service to those arguments in the first place, but some of us took him at his word.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Brive1987 wrote:I was checking out some non schism accounts on Myers and came across this. Don't know how legit the guy is.

http://i.imgur.com/w9V3woR.jpg

Nobody by that name in PubMed. Nobody in ZFIN. My wife doesn't recognize the name but Myers was in Kimmel's lab and my wife was in Westerfield's lab (though my wife did write papers for both of them). Possibly he's pseudo-anonymous, another failure, or just a liar.

James Caruthers

Richard Dworkins wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:I think any attempt from me to explain Berserk would do it a disservice.

Oh thanks, the art looks lovely, I'll have a gander at that later. I think you may be right, Fist of the Northstar rings a bell. The only Manga and Anime I've invested much time in is Neon Genesis Evangelion and the truly wonderful Lone Wolf and Cub but my cousin used to send me loads of stuff, Trigun, Death-Note, Serial Experiments Lain and the like.

Again, thanks.
The story and writing live up to the artwork.

You will not be disappointed.

austin

Post by austin »

James Caruthers wrote:
Sorry, my Steers software was running and I took your statement as a literal question. :lol:

Well, once the discussion veers into questions of motivation, there's no way to prove anything. A lot of people think Reagan was satan, but I spent a fair amount of time studying his presidency and really can't agree with that assessment, myself. Very few people seem "all good" or "all evil" when examined.

However, if there is an upside to PZ Myers, I have yet to encounter it. Maybe he's a nice person in real life. Maybe he's a good husband and father. Maybe all this bile and rage he spews at anyone who disagrees with him is limited to discussions of certain topics.

But I wouldn't want to bet money on any of those things being true. 8-)

And people give Bush too much credit for being evil. Obama caught the authoritarian police state ball Bush Jr. threw and has run that sucker single-handed into the end zone. Now he's using drones to record his celebratory chicken dance.
Sounds like you agree with me more or less, these things are a matter of interpretation even with all the fact. I too have a more nuanced view of Reagan than I used to. He deserves credit for the fall of Communism, although I'm not so sure Putin's Russia is a great improvement over the past, but the East Germans certainly like it better now. Reagan was also a better politician in certain ways than Obama. He understood you start out with an extreme proposal and then compromise in the middle, not start with a middle position and end up with nothing.

austin

Post by austin »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:

Oops I created a monster. Here's another - who's your favorite character besides the obvious - Tyrion - mine would be either Arya Stark or Sandor Clegane, the hound. Daenerys is too self righteous for my taste.

Richard Dworkins

austin wrote: Oops I created a monster. Here's another - who's your favorite character besides the obvious - Tyrion - mine would be either Arya Stark or Sandor Clegane, the hound. Daenerys is too self righteous for my taste.
Stannis Baratheon, the True King of the Seven Realms.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Damion sees both sides of a situation because being superior to both sides gives him a hard-on.

Steersman sees every possible side of a situation (including those in the greater multiverse) because he's a gods damned quantum AI.
JREF has some really interesting posters, they seem vastly knowledgeable about Bigfoot, Amanda Knox, and 9-11 and all odds and ends of the science debunking the conspiracies. I have never read more interesting Pearl Harbor history than what they produced in the PH Conspiracy threads. Strangely, when they find other threads you would believe they just found the internet the day before by their naivete. I find it very interesting to see some people so centered they miss a lot of other things in the world.

I have a friend like this. He war games. He knows tactics and strategy like Alexander and can walk you through tons of historic battles with explanations of success and failure, etc. However, he is pretty much unsuccessful in every other venue. He does some really crazy number crunching with some excel spreadsheets he has developed, but can barely get his bills paid on time. Confusing to me, but I am sure there are some mental things going on there I could never comprehend.

I envy the knowledge, but I think the balance I have in my life is worth more to me.

Guesthouse

Post by Guesthouse »

Richard Dworkins wrote:I've never had much time for Myers. I've always found him too needy, disingenuous and pandering. When, a long time ago, people used to post links to his blog on other fora, I would occasionally read him and find him needlessly obnoxious, he always seemed to me like a wannabe.

In short...

I listened to his interview on SGU, he was trying to one up Dawkins even back then. The guy has always been a piece of shit.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
austin wrote: Oops I created a monster. Here's another - who's your favorite character besides the obvious - Tyrion - mine would be either Arya Stark or Sandor Clegane, the hound. Daenerys is too self righteous for my taste.
I am having trouble getting motivated to read the latest GoT book. After waiting six? years for it to come out with nonstop promises of upcoming releases, I have a sinking feeling some other writer is going to be finishing the series years after his demise. When he was releasing other novels instead of A Dance with Dragons I was pretty unimpressed. I understand pursuing other interests, but the continued teasing was uncalled for. Who the hell likes his Wild Card novels? Tell me about Arya and the face-dancer assassins you bastard!

austin

Post by austin »

sinister wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:
I am having trouble getting motivated to read the latest GoT book. After waiting six? years for it to come out with nonstop promises of upcoming releases, I have a sinking feeling some other writer is going to be finishing the series years after his demise. When he was releasing other novels instead of A Dance with Dragons I was pretty unimpressed. I understand pursuing other interests, but the continued teasing was uncalled for. Who the hell likes his Wild Card novels? Tell me about Arya and the face-dancer assassins you bastard!
I just follow the series mainly, only read the first book. Have to admit I liked the answer Martin gave apparently when asked about his health.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/ ... nes-series

"Well, I find that question, you know, pretty offensive, frankly, when people start speculating about my death and my health. So, 'fuck you' to those people. [Laughs.]"

acathode

Post by acathode »

sinister wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:
I tried reading (or rather, listening to) the latest of the books, but a few hours in I found myself losing the plot for the 20th time, because it was just so damn boring I unconsciously stopped paying attention to the reader. For now, I figure I might as well just wait and see if GoT becomes another WoT mess, and if Martin will actually get his thumb unstuck and manage to write more than 1 book per 10 years...

(as for favorite chars, all of the Lanisters are quite interesting characters, you need good villains to hate just as much as you need sympathetic "good guys", and the Lanisters provide some of the best for both categories)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Apparently she's in Stockholm at the moment.

Caption contest?
"Just workin' the old Taslima magic on some guy's wood."

ConcentratedH2O, OM

bovarchist wrote:

Caption contest?
"These would be perfect for the chair I'm building...I'll take five."
GENUINE LOL!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Caption contest?

"Just workin' the old Taslima magic on some guy's wood."

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Caption contest?
"I've had bigger. What was the name of that fag in Atlanta...?"

sinister

Post by sinister »

austin wrote: I just follow the series mainly, only read the first book. Have to admit I liked the answer Martin gave apparently when asked about his health.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/ ... nes-series

"Well, I find that question, you know, pretty offensive, frankly, when people start speculating about my death and my health. So, 'fuck you' to those people. [Laughs.]"
The audio books has the most single person voiced character ever in an audio book and it STILL manages to bore me to tears. I feel your pain.

It became hard not to speculate after Robert Jordan died. Brandon Sanderson ended the Wheel of Time series well, but I don't see that happening with GoT.
If you want a great long series, The Malazan books by both Stephen Erikson and Iain Esslemont are very good reads, and there are more in the setting on the way. The whole series is based on a GURPs world they created for each other to explore. It has some really cool magic going on as well.

Richard Dworkins

sinister wrote:I have a sinking feeling some other writer is going to be finishing the series years after his demise.
I would rather it unfinished that someone else finish the novels. Benioff and Weiss apparently know all major plot points and how it ends, so if he does pass on, I'd rather the series ended it, which at the rate it's going it seems likely they will before he does.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Oh also every book by Joe Abercrombie. Every single one of his books is darker and more intriguing than the last, and that is really a feat. Magic is mostly GoT style where you rarely see it occur, you get to mostly experience what it has left in its trail. The characters are all very deep, and no one is a perfect anything. There is even a lot of intrigue managed without slowing the books into trudges through page after page of people at court talking at each other. Top that all of with some of the most vivid fighting scenes and they are near perfect. He has a new book coming out in the spring I think, but until then he has a trilogy (The First Law) and 3 books set around that trilogy to keep you going.
IMPORTANT NOTE: I would highly recommend reading them in order as you will lose a lot of character development by jumping around.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Below is a picture from my city:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2401/225 ... 524839.jpg

What you see here is a tank. This tank is used by the local County Sheriff's office. This tank is mainly used to raid businesses for hiring undocumented labor. Why the Sheriff needs a fucking tank to round up a bunch of dishwashers and line cooks has never been explained.
Technically, that's an M109 self-propelled howitzer. Which makes even less sense, since they're designed to fire artillery long distances, not run around urban areas.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
sinister wrote:I have a sinking feeling some other writer is going to be finishing the series years after his demise.
I would rather it unfinished that someone else finish the novels. Benioff and Weiss apparently know all major plot points and how it ends, so if he does pass on, I'd rather the series ended it, which at the rate it's going it seems likely they will before he does.
I honestly mostly care about Arya at this point. The dark path she is finding is fascinating. Jamie Lannister's redemption is pretty fun to read, and Brienne is an awesome character. They did a wonderful job casting her. Tyrion is genius as well, but his use in the story is becoming less mastermind and more deus ex machina in tight spots. The rest of the 1000 characters and what they eat bores me to tears.

I could care less about the Dragons, and the politics are just utterly uninteresting most of the time. I would be interested in more White Walker mythology, but the King beyond the Wall doesn't excite me all that much, and once Jon Snow falls in with the hoard, the creatures take on a background state that is entirely banal.

The TV Series is very watchable though, and I have enjoyed all of it.

austin

Post by austin »

sinister wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:
I honestly mostly care about Arya at this point. The dark path she is finding is fascinating. Jamie Lannister's redemption is pretty fun to read, and Brienne is an awesome character. They did a wonderful job casting her. Tyrion is genius as well, but his use in the story is becoming less mastermind and more deus ex machina in tight spots. The rest of the 1000 characters and what they eat bores me to tears.

I could care less about the Dragons, and the politics are just utterly uninteresting most of the time. I would be interested in more White Walker mythology, but the King beyond the Wall doesn't excite me all that much, and once Jon Snow falls in with the hoard, the creatures take on a background state that is entirely banal.

Good we agree on something. I really like the arc of the Arya story. Don't tell me spoilers if you know what happens next in the books.

Another pretty good non magic book I really liked (didn't read the follow on's) was Gary Jennings Aztec novel telling about the Spanish invasion of Mexico from an Aztec perspective. Gory, partly speculative, but a great read. Dunno if the follow up books are as good.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

sinister wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:

I got ten bucks that says Arya will at some point be hired to kill Jon.

sinister

Post by sinister »

austin wrote: Good we agree on something. I really like the arc of the Arya story. Don't tell me spoilers if you know what happens next in the books.

Another pretty good non magic book I really liked (didn't read the follow on's) was Gary Jennings Aztec novel telling about the Spanish invasion of Mexico from an Aztec perspective. Gory, partly speculative, but a great read. Dunno if the follow up books are as good.
Do we disagree on other things I was unaware of? If so, I hope you know most of my "malice" is hyperbolic. I write much more forcefully than I talk. So if I have been a dick, I apologize.

katamari Damassi

sinister wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:

Enjoying it for the most part, but getting really tired of all the resurrections. And I know there's at least one more to come. Am most interested in Arya's story, though Sansa's is starting to get interesting. I'm starting to think the whole story is a chess game between Baelish and Varys.