Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
paddybrown

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by paddybrown »

DownThunder wrote:Shhh. Believe the victim. Miri is victim of apologizing too much, and a victim of being apologized TO, too much.

Don't tell women not to apologize or be apologized to too much, tell men not to apologize too much and not be apologized to. Except when they need to apologize to women.

Problem?
Yep. Teach men to just know exactly what will please the particular women he's interecting with, by telepathy, and do that without having to be told.

I remember a time when I apologised to a particular woman more than once. I did that to give her the opportunity to apologise for her part in the fucked up situation we had both contributed to. She didn't.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

KenD wrote:The most interesting thing about this Guardian editorial on protecting the ladies by removing comment anonymity, is that it actually quotes some of the deleted abuse. For example, this shocking response to the Guardian's 957th feminist article hand-wringing about women's shaving habits:
Here is an example of a deleted comment on the Freeman article: "Few men find hairy women sexy. And if feminist women have a problem with that, it's not as though men don't have to maintain and groom themselves either for the opposite sex. This is just more Guardian feminist nonsense. Now women are actually growing out the hair on their bodies just to spite men. And if it's not just to spite men, good luck to you on your own private little endeavour and just keep it to yourselves."
It's not the first Guardian article about the abusive comments oppressing their lady writers, but in the past they've generally left the specifics to the reader's imagination. Here we can see the true nature of the misogynistic hate speech making the Guardian comments section an unsafe space for the fairer sex. I just hope the vigilant moderator deleted that privileged mansplainer's comment before it could give poor oppressed Oxford graduate and Vogue/Guardian columnist Hadley Freeman a bad case of the vapours.
The Gardwon has achieved level 9000 of safe space utopia. The final destination of all safe spaces:

Opposing views are triggering.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

When I picture Myers I picture a tubby little failure of a human being, a pandered, spoilt child who never grew up who was the kind of kid who got thrashed at school by everyone and has internalised it as oppression rather than the outcome of his own obnoxious behaviour.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I picture him as Ape + Lust's crying baby Myers avatar. Seems to fit.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote:Subdued commentary at Peezville on the Williams piece and a good couple of "poor forms". Now conveniently buried under an Israel story.

But not before PZ self describes:

http://i.imgur.com/P2O4eYd.jpg

I can't decide whether he is mocking his own self righteousness or whether he is truly mad.
Yet apparently he is not so cynical and horrible that he can't enjoy a nice vacation in the UK, schmoozing and having some of his expenses paid.

Justice is served when truly cynical and horrible people like myself are stuck working 10-12 hours/day in a blazing, hellhole of global warming. :mrgreen:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Blazing, dusty hellhole of global warming

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

You have my sympathies BarnOwl, I did 60 days as a temp in a steel door factory in the "LF" section, the LF stands for "Lead Fill". Fun times.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

[youtube]GG6Np6khsbQ[/youtube]

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

Skep tickle wrote:Ironic that Miri should report having such trouble with men constantly over-apologizing to her, when women are the ones w/ that reputation. See, for example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... cement=CB4
Over-apologising among women is so prevalent that there is even a drama group dedicated to helping women become more assertive and stop saying sorry. At a Feminism in London 2013 conference at the weekend, a workshop aimed to "explore how we women can find ourselves and our voices to enjoy a place in the world, rather than play under it".
This recent video was linked (& nearly uniformly praised) at A+ forum (can't find the thread right now):

[youtube]rzL-vdQ3ObA[/youtube]

http://www.livescience.com/8698-study-r ... ogize.html
Study Reveals Why Women Apologize So Much

If you think you hear women saying "I'm sorry" more than men, you're right. Women apologize more often than men do, according to a new study.

But it's not that men are reluctant to admit wrongdoing, the study shows. It's just that they have a higher threshold for what they think warrants reparation. When the researchers looked at the number of apologies relative to the number of offenses the participants perceived they had committed, the researchers saw no differences between the genders.

"Men aren't actively resisting apologizing because they think it will make them appear weak or because they don't want to take responsibility for their actions," said study researcher Karina Schumann, a doctoral student in social psychology at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada. "It seems to be that when they think they've done something wrong they do apologize just as frequently as when women think they've done something wrong. It's just that they think they've done fewer things wrong.”

[In one study, w]omen apologized more and reported committing more offensive acts, but both men and women apologized about 81 percent of the time when they deemed their actions offensive.

Men were also less likely to report being victims of wrongdoing. This led the researchers to investigate whether men are just not offended as easily, and less likely to think they've done something objectionable.

In the second study, ... [w]omen rated the offenses as more severe than men did, and women were also more likely to say the friend deserved an apology.
I wonder whether those men who want to develop or maintain a relationship w/ Miri find themselves always on the defensive - walking on eggshells lest they offend her. :think:
Any time I see an "experiment" like that, I'm skeptical that it is representative of the actual population. Too often these magazines and newspapers grab on to results without telling you if they are worth reporting. In this case, there were a total of 33 men and 33 women taken from a "psychology department participant pool." This is hardly a reasonably sized sample and hardly a well-stratified or representative sample.

What is more interesting is that the study found that people were MORE likely to report an apology as being present when they were the transgressors. In other words, people believed they apologized for their errors more often than others did. There is no control for this in the study. It may suggest that apologizing is more an effort to assuage a guilty conscience than an effort to truly make amends. What I don't understand is how they can conclude that women and men transgressed at the same rate. I don't understand how they can conclude this because:
1. Transgressions are self-reported. Even though men/women report the same number of transgressions, it doesn't mean they actually comitted the same number.
2. There is no criteria for what is and is not a transgression, leaving it up to individual interpretation as to how to report.
3. Women reported more transgressions than men. This is where it gets interesting.

The study concludes that men don't consider themselves to have transgressed and thus don't feel the need to apologize. The onus here is on men as being too daft or arrogant to recognize their errors. However, Women reported committing 267 offenses to the men's 196. The study claims to have used linear mixed modeling to deal with this and to have found that women apologize for the same "proportion of offenses." It fails to conclude, however, what is obvious, which is that women commit more trangressions than men. The study says:

"Conceivably, male transgressors reported committing fewer offenses because they were more reluctant than women to admit wrongdoing, as suggested by Engel(2001) . Men could perhaps rationalize their unwillingness to apologize by perceiving fewer offenses. This explanation would not readily explain the gender difference in the frequency of offenses reported by victims, however. The results for victims exactly paralleled those for transgressors, with male victims reporting substantially fewer offenses than female victims reported. Although the psychology of victims is quite different from the psychology of transgressors
(Baumeister & Catanese, 2001), the results for victims offer some additional support for the interpretation that women apologize more frequently because they perceive more offenses."

I don't know that you can conclude anything from this study, but the conclusion above is certainly "soft" to say the least. It seems self-serving to me, so I'll await a more accurate study design.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
DownThunder wrote:Steersman, with that swedish model, considering the harms to sex workers as unintended consequences its charitable to the point of philanthropic. I know the saying "attribute not to malice what can be attributed to incompetence" gets thrown around a lot, however when you consider the disdain or outright disgust that radical feminists (the swedish model is overwhelming based in radfem doctrine) have for sex workers (the ones who claim to be sex workers by free will and wish to continue being sex workers) and the refusal to accept or even acknowledge sex worker criticisms of the swedish model, the end result appears to be as its intended: males who procure sex through prostitution are punished, women who wish to continue selling sex are punished, and only those women who are willing to give up sin sex work and parrot the feminist party line are rewarded.
That's it exactly. If they were truly supportive of people who choose sex work, they would not forbid them any customers by law. Can you imagine if they told dentists that they may legally practice, but that all their customers would be arrested and not allowed to go to their appointment? It's not legal work if the law prevents you from being allowed customers.
Indeed. Maybe you read the amusing Globe and Mail article on the topic? “Don’t piano teachers deserve the same ‘protection’ as prostitutes?” As I said in the brief I submitted to the Committee in referring to that article:
It is hard to imagine a more incongruous, inequitable, boneheaded and outright ridiculous law that reeks of discrimination and prejudice.
Good article. Radfems keep fucking up the lives and careers of sex workers, especially the women, denying them their agency. Even changing the law for the worse, preventing safe practices. They ARE the sexist criminals who they pretend to be against. Sex-phobics trying to force everyone else into their own peculiar, damaged, fear of other people's non-harmful sexual behaviour. It's like getting sexual advice (and laws) from a priest!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Sometime PZ Myers is just so fucking depressing. His Robin Williams post is just atrocious. What a self centered fuck. All he strives for is to upset people so they pay attention to him and not the pertinent stories. By exploiting them, he sullies each story in a uniquely horrible way. And he is exploiting them. He is truly an offensive little twit.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

paddybrown wrote:
DownThunder wrote:Shhh. Believe the victim. Miri is victim of apologizing too much, and a victim of being apologized TO, too much.

Don't tell women not to apologize or be apologized to too much, tell men not to apologize too much and not be apologized to. Except when they need to apologize to women.

Problem?
Yep. Teach men to just know exactly what will please the particular women he's interecting with, by telepathy, and do that without having to be told.

I remember a time when I apologised to a particular woman more than once. I did that to give her the opportunity to apologise for her part in the fucked up situation we had both contributed to. She didn't.
Yes, I've been in that situtation where an argument is going to hell in a handbasket and then I decide that I should apologize for my error, clear the air, and give everyone a chance to calm down only to find that the othe party (a woman) sees it as an opportunity to grandstand and claim victory. It shows a real lack of introspection when a person does that. The idea is to foster good will by admitting that mistakes were made. Everyone is human, seems to be what a normal person would say, before apologizing herself. In my case, she continued to attack me, verbally, belittling my intelligence and my personality. I asked her to stop calling me names three or four times, but she persisted. Mumbling under her breath things like "why don't you just stop being yourself, you asshole." Eventually I lost it and smashed the dish I was washing on the kitchen floor. That just gave her something else to chastize me about, until I explained to her that her verbal and emotional abuse were a bit more than I could handle and all I wanted was for her to stop.When she didn't respond to my verbal requests that she stop, I felt cornered. She still did care and she still wasn't willing to admit that verbal attacks could be just as damaging as phyiscal attacks. What's my point?

Women tend to be verbally abusive. They can't be physically abusive (not that a few haven't tried with me) to the extent that men can be, so they turn instead to what they can be effective at. Verbal abuse often isn't recognized as "as serious" as physical violence. It is. Without a doubt it is. The longer it goes on, the more effective it is. The scars of emotional abuse may never heal.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Where Zvan is told by DJ to go "obsess over someone else". She truly is the most evil of them all.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... /#comments

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Hunt wrote:Sometime PZ Myers is just so fucking depressing. His Robin Williams post is just atrocious. What a self centered fuck. All he strives for is to upset people so they pay attention to him and not the pertinent stories. By exploiting them, he sullies each story in a uniquely horrible way. And he is exploiting them. He is truly an offensive little twit.
Just when you thought that PZ had no more sharks to jump over he find another one. Williams would do more for social justice in a week than the whole FTB crowd will do in a lifetime.

welch

Post by welch »

TiBo wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I'd agree with your son. I admire Dawkins tremendously for his scientific work and for popularizing atheism, but have always found him to be lacking in real philosophical strength when it came to subjects outside his field. I think another contributing factor is that he genuinely thinks well... scientifically, for lack of a better word. Just check out this video. At the 12:30 mark he says that asking the big questions like "why do we exist?", even if human, makes absolutely no sense. The audience laughs, and he in all sincerity doesn't understand why it's funny to them.

skip right to the statement:

[youtube]tD1QHO_AVZA[/youtube]
Well I'll grant you that he's not one for pandering to those who have less than a reductive mechanistic view of the universe but I don't understand why they were laughing either. Probably because the general public naively assumes there is some purpose to their lives, but the only real reason we exist is because our parents and ancestors procreate. Any "why" is frankly out of bounds since is can only be sheer subjective conjecture and any meaning we wish to derive is fiction. That's not to say it cannot be useful fiction for personal and cultural benefit but from a strictly rationalist point of view it is simply believing in comfortable fairy tales.

However the idea that is sold to us is that do dismiss the question leads to a nihilistic view of existence is equivalent to morals without gods; i.e. without meaning why don't you kill yourself or rape murder etc. As such it appaers to be an expression of a deeply religious mentality, even amongst those who've replaced obedience to external gods for worship of self.

I think even philosophically speaking it's a redundant question. Leave it to artists and woo peddlers.
I remember that scene. It was cringeworthy, because it was one of those instances, where a mass of dumb and unreflected people laugh about what they think is a silly idea, which in reality, was just too sophisticated for them to understand.

Few comments

1) "Something from nothing" ... Krauss goes out of his way to explain that he wants to replace the popular notion of "nothing", which is just an negative abstraction of "something", with a positive definition, an actual physical state, resembling all the qualities a "nothing" would actually have if formulated positively, which indeed, so he thinks, can produce "something". That's how "something can come out of nothing".

This rather simple (?) point is already so far above the heads of most people, that they will laugh it off as "silly". An unbelievably sad state of affairs. If Dawkins is to be criticised, then it should be for his naivety to think that a majority of people is intelligent enough to entertain such a thought. This is not the case. Apparently, the majority of people is simply too dumb for that.

What strikes ME most, is the fact that exactly these nuts, assisted by their fellow theologians, will vigorously defend their good old negative notion of "nothing", although their nothing, by definition, doesn't even exist. That gives me diarrhea.

2) If a "why" question is supposed to mean anything more than a "how", it must assume intent, or at least thought. "Why does the universe exist?" is only a valid question, if you first assert that there is intent/thought behind it. To pretend that the question could somehow be evidence for the assumption which preceeds the question, is classical circular reasoning.

If you believe that the majority of people is reasonably intelligent, you must assume they would understand this, I think, simple problem. And again, apparently, they don't. In their heads, even when explicitely made aware of the problem, "Why is there a universe?" remains to be a perfectly valid question, without them having spent a single thought on proving the underlying premise of that question beforehand.

I conclude, that people, in general, are as dumb as a motherfucker. Or do you see an alternative ?
"Why does the universe exist" is useful as a personal philosophical exercise, because it's usually a way of examining why do "I" exist (the "I" being nonspecific in this case.) "Why is the universe here?" "Why is anything here?"

It's fun, and a bit of introspection here and there is a good thing.

It's when you start seriously thinking that there has to be some great purpose to EVERYTHING that you run off the rails. Which is why I think "lower" animals sometimes have the right of it. "The sun is there to give me a nice warm place to nap" is about as far as they go. I can't find a lot of fault with that.

welch

Post by welch »

Nicest of The Damned wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: (For those on Tapatalk: Slate tweet announcing an article titled "Why the rise of ironic misandry is good for women" with a T-shirt that says "I bathe in male tears", & link to the article)

Ally Fogg on the Slate misandry article, male tears, "Die in a fire", and feminist humor:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2014 ... ic-hatred/

A few quotes from the Slate piece:

1. "By empowering women, critics argue, feminists are really oppressing men."

Well, I'm not overly familiar with the entire history of critics of feminism, so I can't declare this to be 100% strawman, but at the very least it seems to be a gross oversimplification. It's not so much that empowering women oppresses men, rather that the 'snarky blog post' feminism currently in vogue seems unable or unwilling to distinguish between the two.

2. "It’s an in-joke that like-minded feminists tell even when their critics aren’t looking, as a way to build solidarity within the group."

This seems pretty much bang on. I think it's a bit odd that the writer sees it as a positive. Reinforcing the in group against the out group. I think 'othering' is the term they use when on the other end of it.

3. “The men who get annoyed by misandry jokes are in my experience universally brittle, insecure, humorless weenies with victim complexes,” while the “many intelligent, warm, confident feminist men in my life … mostly get the joke immediately and play along. They're not worried I actually want to milk them for their tears.”

Well, first off, she jumps from "being annoyed by misandry jokes" to "worried that I actually want to milk them for their tears". While disliking a joke and not getting the joke often go together, they aren't in fact the same thing. A bit nitpicky, but still.

Mainly though, "Warm, confident feminist men who play along" the toilet slave jokes write themselves.

Okay. Two things about the Ally Fogg response:

First off, on the Male Tears thing specifically. Remember when those men said 'Hey, society puts all kinds of pressure and expectations on men too. Why is it only a problem when it happens to women?" and they said "Dude. those expectations are part of patriarchy, which we're working to end. All that silly stuff about men not being allowed to show emotion? Feminism will take care of that for you." Good job, feminism.

But here's the real thing of the thing. I don't have any real issue with "male tears", or "kill all men". I make worse jokes every day. Proudly. The hypocrisy of it, though. Generally, and particularly online, I don't care if someone says horrible things to me because I have the option of replying in kind. These fucks want carte blanche to be assholes with immunity from the consequences. Fuck 'em. Everything else is special pleading.
Pretty much this. Dark humor is perfectly fine, provided you allow other people to also enjoy it in ways you might not. It's the "ONLY WE MAY SAY THESE THINGS BECAUSE PUNCHING UP" shit that makes them such raging douchenozzles.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:Dear brown person,

Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you get shot by police while shoplifting, and … yawn … don't tell me yet again, I know you aren't able to walk around Florida without being immediately butchered, and you've been marginalised by white CIS feminism, and you get blamed for vandalising businesses. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American white bros have to put up with.

Only this week I heard they suffered a tragedy, and do you know what happened? A wealthy white man who made jokes – someone no-one really knew personally killed himself. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He selfishly took his own privileged life, of course it didn't really impact anyone but his family, but even so …

And you, brown person, think you have racism to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.

Pizzle
It took me about ten minutes ruminating on the subject to get what you mean here (It's one of my slow days), but this is exactly right. How is this any different, except perhaps ten times worse, than Dear Muslima projected into the arena of personal tragedy?

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:RE: Robin Williams-I was never a fan of his stand-up but often enjoyed him as a dramatic actor. If you haven't seen it, check out World's Greatest Dad. It's an under seen but terrific black comedy.

Insomnia was quite good too. He was remarkably terrifying when playing an evildoer.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hunt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Dear brown person,

Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you get shot by police while shoplifting, and … yawn … don't tell me yet again, I know you aren't able to walk around Florida without being immediately butchered, and you've been marginalised by white CIS feminism, and you get blamed for vandalising businesses. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American white bros have to put up with.

Only this week I heard they suffered a tragedy, and do you know what happened? A wealthy white man who made jokes – someone no-one really knew personally killed himself. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He selfishly took his own privileged life, of course it didn't really impact anyone but his family, but even so …

And you, brown person, think you have racism to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.

Pizzle
It took me about ten minutes ruminating on the subject to get what you mean here (It's one of my slow days), but this is exactly right. How is this any different, except perhaps ten times worse, than Dear Muslima projected into the arena of personal tragedy?
It is a bit of a triple negative! :doh:

But PZ is a fucking hypocrite thinking he can erase what he perceives as a lessor evil by casting it into a bigger evils shadow.

welch

Post by welch »

Brive1987 wrote:Subdued commentary at Peezville on the Williams piece and a good couple of "poor forms". Now conveniently buried under an Israel story.

But not before PZ self describes:

http://i.imgur.com/P2O4eYd.jpg

I can't decide whether he is mocking his own self righteousness or whether he is truly mad.

http://i.imgur.com/HYfMH70.jpg
Wait for the "IF YOU PUSH ME TOO MUCH, I MIGHT UNLEASH THE BEAST" post.

welch

Post by welch »

Hunt wrote:Sometime PZ Myers is just so fucking depressing. His Robin Williams post is just atrocious. What a self centered fuck. All he strives for is to upset people so they pay attention to him and not the pertinent stories. By exploiting them, he sullies each story in a uniquely horrible way. And he is exploiting them. He is truly an offensive little twit.
"I'm just being honest"

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

welch wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:RE: Robin Williams-I was never a fan of his stand-up but often enjoyed him as a dramatic actor. If you haven't seen it, check out World's Greatest Dad. It's an under seen but terrific black comedy.

Insomnia was quite good too. He was remarkably terrifying when playing an evildoer.
He was good in Insomnia but the Norwegian original is so much better I can't watch the dumbed down American version. I'd choose One Hour Photo instead. Again a creepy but subtle performance by Williams.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Enjoyed the mild snark of Infofile's remark in Pizzles Robin Williams post.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-833479
infofile wrote:I think part of what’s going on here is that a lot of people place celebrities in their “monkeysphere” – the set of 200ish people they truly care about and see as people. The death of one person in your monkeysphere is always going to be a lot more tragic to you than a hundred deaths outside of it. Rightly or wrongly, it’s part of human psychology. So, there are a large number of fans of his who see this as a personal tragedy.
Now, add in other people who suffer from depression of various sorts and get a harsh reminder that the daily fight doesn’t go away even for a ridiculously successful 63-year-old (this would be the category I fall into myself), and you have a lot of people for whom this is an open wound.
So this line:
Boy, I hate to say it, but it sure was nice of Robin Williams to create such a spectacular distraction.
touches a bit of an open wound. Sure, logically you have a point, and I can look past that wound to see that you’re right about the big picture. But it still comes across as just a bit insensitive to those still feeling pain related to his death.
So let me see now. There's a logical point to be made, but logic is not the end of it. There are other things to consider and respect. Now, where have I heard that before?

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Brive1987 wrote: But PZ is a fucking hypocrite thinking he can erase what he perceives as a lessor evil by casting it into a bigger evils shadow.
PZ belittles a man who made hundred of millions of people smile and laugh and have a truly better day than they had before they heard him - he does it by belittling people who are sad Williams is dead

I'm sad Williams is dead, and frankly I can be sad that people died in Gaza too, and people who died at the hands of police in the US, and people who were wrongfully committed of murder and ended up on death row.

There isn't a limit to how many people I can be sad about. And in terms of global happiness and improvement of the human race - Williams was nearly unrivalled.

didymos

Post by didymos »

LOL. Tim Wise (who, to be fair, is kind of an ass himself) got Suey Park to flip the fuck out on twitter. Here's the tweet that started it off:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: But PZ is a fucking hypocrite thinking he can erase what he perceives as a lessor evil by casting it into a bigger evils shadow.
PZ belittles a man who made hundred of millions of people smile and laugh and have a truly better day than they had before they heard him - he does it by belittling people who are sad Williams is dead

I'm sad Williams is dead, and frankly I can be sad that people died in Gaza too, and people who died at the hands of police in the US, and people who were wrongfully committed of murder and ended up on death row.

There isn't a limit to how many people I can be sad about. And in terms of global happiness and improvement of the human race - Williams was nearly unrivalled.
Hope he catches hell for it. He won't, of course. Tony the Queer Shoop is already rationalizing it as "PZ works in mysterious ways..." It's a religion, after all. They'll swallow anything coughs up.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Before Elevatorgate Myers and Dawkins were best mates. Dawkins hosted a Q and A with Peezus in London in the week following the Dublin conference (and therefore before the schism broke out online.)
It's interesting to see Myers getting a full turnout in the UK, and indeed a turnout of people who seem very sympathetic to him (although I admit a lot may have just come to see Dawkins.)

[youtube]6Gaw6kzXbdA[/youtube]

Even before that, in 2008, Myers seems to have been held in some regard by Dawkins as indicated by the description of the following clip from 2008.
DURING HIS U.S. TOUR in 2008, Biologist and bestselling author Richard Dawkins met with some of the world's leading scientists to discuss topics such as Quantum Physics, Biology, Evolutionary Psychology, Science education, religion, atheism and more. This video brings you the fascinating unedited discussions between Richard Dawkins and Nobel Prize-winning Physicist Steven Weinberg, Physicist Lawrence Krauss, Biologist and blogger PZ Myers
One of these things is not like the other...

[youtube]1XgqOKH6pwI[/youtube]

That's not to mention the various other meetups they shared, including the famous Expelled incident.

And now?

The other two FTB blogger who attended the International Humanist Conference in Oxford have been gushing over Dawkins. Both either got to meet and talk to him or got praised by him on stage. I've posted Talima's pics of her with Dawkins already and here is Maryam Namazie's gushing praise of Dawkins during the conference:

[youtube]HgMaaL9UgoU[/youtube]

But Pee Zed?

I haven't seen everything from the conference but has anyone seen an indication that Myers even met Dawkins at this event? :think:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

^ PZ coughs up.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

BillHamp wrote:
paddybrown wrote:

Problem?

Yes, I've been in that situtation where an argument is going to hell in a handbasket and then I decide that I should apologize for my error, clear the air, and give everyone a chance to calm down only to find that the othe party (a woman) sees it as an opportunity to grandstand and claim victory. It shows a real lack of introspection when a person does that. The idea is to foster good will by admitting that mistakes were made. Everyone is human, seems to be what a normal person would say, before apologizing herself. In my case, she continued to attack me, verbally, belittling my intelligence and my personality. I asked her to stop calling me names three or four times, but she persisted. Mumbling under her breath things like "why don't you just stop being yourself, you asshole." Eventually I lost it and smashed the dish I was washing on the kitchen floor. That just gave her something else to chastize me about, until I explained to her that her verbal and emotional abuse were a bit more than I could handle and all I wanted was for her to stop.When she didn't respond to my verbal requests that she stop, I felt cornered. She still did care and she still wasn't willing to admit that verbal attacks could be just as damaging as phyiscal attacks. What's my point?

Women tend to be verbally abusive. They can't be physically abusive (not that a few haven't tried with me) to the extent that men can be, so they turn instead to what they can be effective at. Verbal abuse often isn't recognized as "as serious" as physical violence. It is. Without a doubt it is. The longer it goes on, the more effective it is. The scars of emotional abuse may never heal.
Absolutely. I'm still damaged in some ways, in my forties, by non-physical bullying I endured in primary school. Clarence posted this brilliant blog post on the subject yesterday. If I'd been taught to stand up for myself, rather than ignore them and tell a grown up, I'd have had a much healthier early adulthood.

One thing I struggle with is that, in my experience, many women who are perfectly decent, friendly and considerate when you're platonic friends, turn nasty, competitive and manipulative when you're in a relationship with them. I remember a number of years ago I encountered online a list of signs of an abusive partner, all expressed as "he", most of which were occupational hazards of dating women in my experience. I know very few men who try to control what their partner wears, for example, and I know very few women who don't. Trying to cut you off from your friends and family, putting you down in public, making everything about "his" feelings, flying off the handle over minor things until you're scared to challenge "him" over anything - these are pretty routine occurrences, again in my experience, when going out with women, and are rarely called out as "abusive", as they are when men do them.

I've noticed a trend among my younger acquaintances of girlfriends falling out with their boyfriends over something she dreamed he did. I do not believe any adult could possibly believe it's justifiable to punish someone else for something that only happened in your own dream, so I conclude it must be deliberate, a game or a test of some sort.

The point being, just to be clear, not that women are any more evil than men, but that they seem to get a free pass on it when they are. Behaviour that is rightly considered heinous when a man does it to a woman, is pretty much normal when a woman does it to a man - and even the man's fault. Ever be told "maybe you're hanging out with the wrong women?"

Anyway, I eventually learned to recognise the red flags. And I learned that trying to make a woman who's hurt you feel guilty about it is about a sane as responding to being slighted by Mike Tyson by challenging him to a boxing match. It's her weapon, and she's spent years learning how to use it. I haven't. I'm going to take another beating.

Having said that, women are perfectly capable of being physically abusive, especially once they determine you won't hit back. I see the current campaign over abusive comments on the internet, alongside #killallmen, male tears etc, as an ettempt to extend the "never hit a girl" double standard to to verbal as well as physical abuse. It's so much easier to bully people when they're not allowed to fight back.

On other subjects, it's hard to imagine how much lower P-Ziddy could conceivably stoop, and All Fogg, as I've said before, is an unusually subtle troll.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I reckon Dawkins kicked his cloud of dust not because of "Medic" but because he saw a bushy unkempt beard ...

The chances of them meeting were, I'd say, vanishingly small.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Brive1987 wrote:Mr tinfoil hat ( :lol: :lol: ) is doing a dear muslima - a lessor evil is rendered meaningless by introducing a bigger one.

Outside his family, is William's death "zero bad"?
Well, I know that I don't care about his death, and considering that most of his latest work is nothing to get excited over... yeah, zero bad. Whatever. Famous dude commited suicide because of drugs. Carry on.

Peezus is such a putz.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Brive1987 wrote:Where Zvan is told by DJ to go "obsess over someone else". She truly is the most evil of them all.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... /#comments
But she eats her own bum cigars, for free! Where will someone find better entertainment than that without having to pay a ticket?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I remember weeping during Hook.

But that was because of fingernails in palm.

windy

Post by windy »

He might have had a semblance of a point if he had focused on the cuntish move from Obama to release a statement on Williams while seeming to ignore the Brown case.

But that would detract from the race-baiting bandwagon, so it's couched in weasel words how it's all about some amorphous mass of "politicians", "people like Barack Obama", pandering to "law-and-order folks" before the election. Even though Obama isn't up for election and could burn out his second term in a blaze of social justice glory if he wanted to (as if).

So let's instead point fingers at some random racist lady on Facebook who "looks like" she might have been a fan of Williams. Way to punch up!

John D

Post by John D »

BillHamp wrote:
paddybrown wrote:

My suggestion to a happy life is to separate yourself from these types of people. Some people are helplessly self obsessed. Many of them will NEVER improve. Just get as far away from them as possible.

I was trying to get my wife and her sisters to be a bit more generous with each other. They are always picking on each other and are very harsh. They spend hours rehashing old shit and trying to justify their own behavior. I thought they were making progress when my wife said that she will try to be less hurtful. One of her sisters did the same. But one sister was defiant. "I am not always trying to prove I am right" she said "I am trying to prove you are wrong!". The FUCK?! Giant face plant. How can a human lack self awareness to that extent? We will do want we can to stay at a distance from nasty sister. Life is to short to spend all your time fighting.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Brive1987 wrote:Where they giggle we might ponder. Here is a man seemingly oblivious to the (subjective) reality and value of philosophical thought because it is not objectively empirical.
Yea. No. What ? Do you really think Dawkins is oblivious to the existence of philosophical thought, in general, or in this particular case ? His crime is simply assuming a high entry level to these questions without having checked whether the peasants can keep up, or not. Which they never can.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Not oblivious to it, but seemingly oblivious to its tangible value and role in life - because it smacks of the metaphysical.

No there is no divinely imposed meaning to life, yes what meaning there is, is subjective construct. But once you get over this and form meaning, or acquire it socially, it becomes as real (or objective) to the average punter as any other force acting upon them. So the whole "there is no meaning to life" pitch is, in and of itself, of limited utility.

katamari Damassi

I got a kick out of Peeze's Robin Williams post because he effectively cock blocked Dollar Store Angela Davis(Sikuvu Hutchinson) who you just know was writing a piece about how William's suicide was yet another example of The Man keeping them down .

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
I'd agree with your son. I admire Dawkins tremendously for his scientific work and for popularizing atheism, but have always found him to be lacking in real philosophical strength when it came to subjects outside his field. I think another contributing factor is that he genuinely thinks well... scientifically, for lack of a better word. Just check out this video. At the 12:30 mark he says that asking the big questions like "why do we exist?", even if human, makes absolutely no sense. The audience laughs, and he in all sincerity doesn't understand why it's funny to them.

skip right to the statement:

[youtube]tD1QHO_AVZA[/youtube]
How is the idiocy of a partisan studio audience reflective of Dawkins' own shortcomings?
I know you’re not alone in your thoughts there (I noticed Tibo expressing something similar, but fuck if I’m actually going to attempt a discourse with Mr. “criticism of Israel’s foreign policy is racism”). I think you’re looking at it from the wrong perspective.

I see scientist and philosopher as being two positions very distinct from the positions of popularizer of science, or popularizer of philosophy. In the first two, it’s fine if the average audience member can’t follow you. In fact, it probably means you aren’t doing your job if they can. Whereas, in the second category, it’s in the job description that you are to be on the same page as your average audience. If you aren’t , then you aren’t doing your job very well.

So, I think it’s perfectly valid to criticize Dawkins (even though it seemed nobody here was really criticizing, just poking fun) for his efforts in one area, without taking away from his efforts in the other.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

welch wrote:"Why does the universe exist" is useful as a personal philosophical exercise, because it's usually a way of examining why do "I" exist (the "I" being nonspecific in this case.) "Why is the universe here?" "Why is anything here?"

It's fun, and a bit of introspection here and there is a good thing.

It's when you start seriously thinking that there has to be some great purpose to EVERYTHING that you run off the rails. Which is why I think "lower" animals sometimes have the right of it. "The sun is there to give me a nice warm place to nap" is about as far as they go. I can't find a lot of fault with that.
On that level, I would never object. It's indeed a bit of fun for the easily bored. Why not ?

To me, "The sun is there to give me a nice warm place to nap" is a deliberate and joyful way to turn a reality on its head. A perfectly fine thing to do, as long as noone is nearby who could accidentally take it seriously.

But wait... I remember Hitchens telling a story about one of his primary school teachers, that Misses who took them out for a walk and explained to them that OhLawdy made all the plants green, because that color is most restful to our eyes... :clap:

This world needs to fire up the Bat-Signal right now...
[youtube]BC2rmpiAsjs[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I fear I made DJ gargle and rinse.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

jet_lagg wrote:(I noticed Tibo expressing something similar, but fuck if I’m actually going to attempt a discourse with Mr. “criticism of Israel’s foreign policy is racism”).
Nice jab. Here's the rebuttal: All the SJWs stand behind #Gaza. Gotcha, Mr. Athiest. http://vz.iminent.com/vz/540f4c43-639e- ... esture.gif

Richard Dworkins

Brive1987 wrote:I fear I made DJ gargle and rinse.
He makes a very good point. At this point, I think if people here stopped reading and linking to FTB it would take away about 40 to 60% of their traffic. I'm not saying anyone should but I do think that the tar baby principle might be in effect.

Richard Dworkins

jet_lagg wrote:
I see scientist and philosopher as being two positions very distinct from the positions of popularizer of science, or popularizer of philosophy. In the first two, it’s fine if the average audience member can’t follow you. In fact, it probably means you aren’t doing your job if they can. Whereas, in the second category, it’s in the job description that you are to be on the same page as your average audience. If you aren’t , then you aren’t doing your job very well.

So, I think it’s perfectly valid to criticize Dawkins (even though it seemed nobody here was really criticizing, just poking fun) for his efforts in one area, without taking away from his efforts in the other.
Not really, you might as well criticise him for his terrible efforts in popularising interpretive dance. He is not and never was a philosopher (and in my opinion there has only every been a few actual philosophers) nor was his job remit to be the public face of philosophy. So it was never in his job description.

To be honest criticism on his view of the "big dumb questions" seems to me to be akin to the claim that he shouldn't talk about atheism because he's not a theologian.

John D

Post by John D »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
He makes a very good point. At this point, I think if people here stopped reading and linking to FTB it would take away about 40 to 60% of their traffic. I'm not saying anyone should but I do think that the tar baby principle might be in effect.
I NEVER go to FTB or PZ or Skepchick, etc. for this very reason. If you'all don't dump an image here I don't know what they are doing. It is more fun to read you'all bitching then to actually read their shit anyway.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

John D wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:
I NEVER go to FTB or PZ or Skepchick, etc. for this very reason. If you'all don't dump an image here I don't know what they are doing. It is more fun to read you'all bitching then to actually read their shit anyway.
Same boat. I have had the unfortunate experience of bouncing to fftb through a not so obvious link a few times but outside of that I refuse to give their trashy rag any page hits.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Awesome DJ Grothe quote regarding Peezus's Robin Williams essay:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Gefan wrote:The problem with the "ironic misandry" tag is that irony would appear to imply something at least resembling a sense of humor being possessed by the wearers of those T-Shirts.
I'm actually fine with the shirts for much the same reason that I would like private businesses to be able to discriminate in who they hire and serve: it makes the bigots and assholes easy to identify so I won't accidentally give them money or even associate with them.
In the case of Social Justice Wankers sometimes the mere presence of hipster glasses does not suffice. There's a player on one of the Wasatch Roller Derby teams who has both hipster glasses and (I shit you not) blue hair, and she's actually extremely cool.
This. A 1,000 times this.

Really?

Post by Really? »

And while we're at it, does PZ have Asperger's? He really doesn't seem to understand social cues and is definitely neuroatypical.

Scunner

Post by Scunner »

didymos wrote:LOL. Tim Wise (who, to be fair, is kind of an ass himself) got Suey Park to flip the fuck out on twitter. Here's the tweet that started it off:
I saw snippets of their argument, it was hilarious and tragic in equal measure (Suey threatening to start a hashtag made me laugh). Shows how vitriolic and pathetic Suey is when even Tim Wise, a man who drowns in white guilt, thinks she's an idiot.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Well I don't even have the words to describe that post by PZ. Trash is about the best I can say. Sadly, he does get kudos for it. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

sinister

Post by sinister »

Scunner wrote:
didymos wrote:LOL. Tim Wise (who, to be fair, is kind of an ass himself) got Suey Park to flip the fuck out on twitter. Here's the tweet that started it off:
I saw snippets of their argument, it was hilarious and tragic in equal measure (Suey threatening to start a hashtag made me laugh). Shows how vitriolic and pathetic Suey is when even Tim Wise, a man who drowns in white guilt, thinks she's an idiot.
Ho boy, that was a hot mess. I want the last 10 minutes of my life back. The initial pile on made me laugh. These people are grade a morons.

Aneris

Re: Dawkins Alleged Philosophical Failures

Post by Aneris »

I don’t particularily understand, and then strongly disagree with the notion that Richard Dawkins needs more philosophy education to make the points he makes. He does just fine.

It might be that there is a certain type of philosophy that works by slowly going step-by-step through premises, yet I fail to realize where this is necessary in the realm of religion. People more likely are fooling themselves and I have a thousand year old history going for that assumption. The exclamation “needs more philosphy” or “needs more Sophisticated Theology™” is merely a modernized proxy for “God Did It” or “God Did It, but I am not saying it, but you atheists are wrong!”

If the philosophers and Sophisticated Theologiansâ„¢ know something the rabble doesn't know, perhaps they can provide a convincing argument, or anything, that enlightens us.

At the end of the day, if your content of conciousness (god) has no known referent, it is nothing more than a figment of the mind, a fiction. The limits of our minds, the limits of perception, knowledge etc, as interesting the topic, does absolutely nothing to elevate a random fiction to something more.

Skip over the first 1:20, it's just some misanthrope
[youtube]mT4EWCRfdUg[/youtube]

katamari Damassi

Really? wrote:And while we're at it, does PZ have Asperger's? He really doesn't seem to understand social cues and is definitely neuroatypical.
That would grant snowflake status and make his lived experience holy writ.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Michael J wrote:
Just when you thought that PZ had no more sharks to jump over he find another one. Williams would do more for social justice in a week than the whole FTB crowd will do in a lifetime.
Even now he's dead I can believe this...

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Yeah, I never want to give FTB and such places hits. I'm also at the point where I never want to give hits to any gender trash article in salon or slate either. Others can do what they want.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Really? wrote:And while we're at it, does PZ have Asperger's? He really doesn't seem to understand social cues and is definitely neuroatypical.
That would grant snowflake status and make his lived experience holy writ.
I don't see him as being an aspergers case. I wouldn't even call him neuroatypical.
I tend to view him as being nowhere near as intelligent as he thinks he is and thus makes mistakes on a frequent basis in his posts (especially when he tries to be controversial or edgy.)
If there was one quirk in his personality that colors a lot of his thinking I suspect it is that he suffers from an inordinate level of sexual jealousy over other successful heterosexual men.
All this harassment/rape kerfuffle seems to be directed only at a small group of successful male skeptics who make up a fraction of one percent of the overall male population in teh skeptic/atheist community. There have hardly been any incidents reported involving non famous skeptics (apart, perhaps, from that one case involving Ashley Paramore.)
Myers has only had one girlfriend/wife/sexual partner in his life and yet his hobby for the past five years has been hanging out at skepchicks parties! He's even admitted that he's had about a dozen offers of sex at these conferences.
Something doesn't quite add up for me.
Do people actually 'offer sex' this way at conferences? My experience with the mating game is that people tend to flirt with each other and ony if you get distinctly positive sexual signals would anything approaching an offer of sex be made. Perhaps I'm too innocent for these things and 'fancy a fuck?' is commonplace at these events. Or, at least, commonplace for starfucking skeptic groupies.

welch

Post by welch »

John D wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:
kinda is.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

I thought that Suey Park had quit the internet realm for good a few days ago. Is this her Sueinaji alter-ego come back to haunt us?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

It has a bit of a sour taste that the debate on “male tears”, male suicide and Robin Williams, who apparently killed himself, coincidences on the same page.