Old subthreads
Clarence

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Clarence »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Clarence wrote:Interesting.
Do atheists exist?
http://www.science20.com/writer_on_the_ ... oke-139982

I don't really think he makes his case, or maybe I should say the things he sensibly establishes fall far short of the proof of the non-existence of atheism, unless he is claiming all 'hard atheists' aren't rational.
While his thesis is unsupported, I think he makes a good case for something we all know here: religion is only a manifestation of a combination of flaws intrinsic to the human experience, including ingroup bias, outgroup homogeneity bias, confirmation bias, projection, attribution bias, framing effect, just world hypothesis, edited memories, pareidolia, etc...

I think it's a safe bet that not one human being is free from all those cognitive biases, and there may be no one immune to any of them. Even those of us who are hyper-aware of the biases are often guilty and have our own blind spots. The effects might be a misguided sense of superiority over <insert group here>, or a particular pet hypothesis we can't let go of despite negative evidence, or nationalism, and so forth.

Skepticism and the scientific method may help us overcome the effects, but they're only ideals. Religion may die, but the underlying causes will stay with us until we rid ourselves of our humanity -- and that is why everyone should become otherkin.
No, you silly Cat Goddess: everyone should become transhumanist. Who'd want to be one of those mixed up people who think they are a galaxy or a robotic cat goddess? :lol: :naughty: :P

But seriously, I'm glad you found it wasn't a total waste of time to read my link. I have to say that I'm with you 100 percent about human nature and the irrational.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Lousy Canuck's "Movement cohesion" thread:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... -cohesion/
Movement atheism is not a cohesive entity. Heads of orgs like American Atheists, in full-throated promotion of people like Jaclyn Glenn — especially those videos that attack movement feminists for being too firebrandey and poisoning movement atheism with all their “social justice warrior” stuff — they’ve evidently chosen sides. Let’s not mistake that there are, in fact, sides to choose in what amounts to a fundamental division between feminists and antifeminists within atheism. AA has chosen, expressly, the side of the antifeminists, and they’ve framed the issue such that the antifeminists are the ones demanding we stop talking about feminist ideas and the toxic anti-woman environment that these antifeminists inculcate in our movement.

Feminists are told to stop fighting. Antifeminists are asked absolutely nothing — they’re the “reasonable” ones for demanding that the status quo be maintained.

Fuck that.

<snip>

There is no one single community. This inter-atheist fighting is necessary because we have coalesced communities around shared ideals, and there’s a shit-ton of you atheists out there who share almost no ideals in common with me outside of “god don’t real”.

I will not throw my other principles under the bus to be part of your hideous granfaloon.
The comments are all like "yeah!" and "yeah!" until Damion shows up in #16:
What atheism really needs now is more infighting about feminism.
HJ replies with:
Dude, the people endorsing feminism won.

Look at how quickly Muscato yanked down his post. Look at how long Dawkins has been providing child care at conventions. The JREF pushed hard to get 50/50 gender parity at TAM. At the last Women in Secularism, someone from the audience angrily asked what CFI was doing about reproductive rights; Debbie Goddard rattled off something like four separate programs.

Every big organization has sided with feminism. Where there’s any clash, it’s at an individual level over what “feminism” means. Glenn is arguing “feminism” consists of granola-munching airheads who whip into an angry frenzy at the merest hint of appropriation, even as she complains about the sexist bullshit aimed at her. DJ Grothe is perfectly fine with “feminism,” or at least a defanged kind that doesn’t deal with any form of patriarchy short of blatant, open discrimination.

That is where the infighting is. And even there, it’s mostly due to a small number of bigoted asssholes who didn’t get the memo, aided by a much larger number of clueless people just parroting along.
Couple of posts go by from others, then Damion replies with:
HJ,

To the extent that feminism entails providing child care at conventions, pushing for gender parity in the movement, and promoting reproductive rights, I haven’t seen anyone fighting about it. If both sides value those things, then probably issues aren’t going to have any impact movement cohesion. Which is good, I’d say.

“Look at how quickly Muscato yanked down his post.”

This post?
And now Damion is in moderation at Lousy Canucks. Maybe even that kind of moderation that turns out to be permanent. And the comments section is pure once more.

welch

Post by welch »

didymos wrote:Lulz. Even Avicenna is on the bandwagon:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... -strawman/

Nobody cares though. He only roped in two comments. Probably because it's a huge fucking wall of text.
But she's a woman talking. Shouldn't PZ and Avi both...

SHUT UP AND LISTEN???

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Za-zen wrote:
Tribble wrote:I like this kid:

[youtube]bRGC-Zu3kBA[/youtube]
8 minute video from a smart kid, utterly demolishes three years worth of FFtb mind wank. Seriously is there anyone who actually reads that blog network and considers it a source of serious discussion.
He's good. I think some education for kids (not just boys) about respecting others' boundaries would be a generally good thing but he's right, "teach men not to rape" isn't likely to reduce criminal rape - nobody uses "I didn't know it was wrong" as their defense.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Skep tickle wrote:
Za-zen wrote:

8 minute video from a smart kid, utterly demolishes three years worth of FFtb mind wank. Seriously is there anyone who actually reads that blog network and considers it a source of serious discussion.
He's good. I think some education for kids (not just boys) about respecting others' boundaries would be a generally good thing but he's right, "teach men not to rape" isn't likely to reduce criminal rape - nobody uses "I didn't know it was wrong" as their defense.
Ironically, if this whole "Teach men not to rape" thing takes off, it's only a matter of time before someone actually tries to use the "Rape Culture made me do it" defense.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Skep tickle wrote:
Za-zen wrote:

I agree with this video, but I have a feeling I would disagree with many of his other vids.
And that's OK

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

HoneyWagon wrote: I agree with this video, but I have a feeling I would disagree with many of his other vids.
And that's OK
Exactly. It is OK to agree with certain opinions espoused by individuals and disagree with others.

We make progress, not by choosing the best leader and assuming all their ideas are correct, but by testing all available ideas and accepting those that best fit the evidence.
If you were prepared to believe the SJW identitarian line on things you would be forced to accept a world in which there were only two groups - the 'good' group who believe in social justice/ending discrimination and sexual harassment, and the other 'bad' group who are a kind of weird coalition of religious fundamentalists, Randian libertarians, and Dawkins fanboys, in favor of legalizing sexual assault.
While that model doesn't make any kind of logical sense, it is the only one that allows the horde to justify their behavior.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

katamari Damassi wrote:Hey Phil-what was the name of that spaceflight simulation game you're playing?
Kerbal Space Program

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

ccdimage

Post by ccdimage »

Skep tickle wrote:
ccdimage wrote: First picture. Um OK.
Second picture. Wait I recognise that shit in her face.
Third picture. Double check the name... Oh now I remember. <snip>
Doesn't matter whether or not your opinion of her is.

What matters is she's not only a woman but an atheist feminist woman, and to top if off an atheist feminist woman with a background in STEM who, unless someone has heard differently and I missed a status change, is not on the list of chill girls.

She may not have been an atheist quasi-celeb at that time, and he may not have caught (or may not have remembered) her name, but still - Professor Myers dismissing her as arm-candy (even with his subsequent addendum that he found conversation with her more interesting than with Maher) runs counter to the script.
I need to make a correction. I recalled that there was something annoying about the way she spoke that made it hard for me to listen to her. It was not the rising register at the end of the sentence but the exact opposite.
I knew there was something in the archive where PZ was linking to her (Postby franc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:53 am • [Post 7701]). Maybe PZ is getting senile (It would be hard to tell if he was loosing mental capacity).
Here is his blog where he mentions her by name. I'm not into the mutilated face look so I don't think she is arm candy. But I also don't like the way she sounds or the silly air-head things I have heard her say, so a complete non-starter. I think she would be on a similar wavelength to PZ and they could probably sit and chat for hours about why they are so much better than libertarians.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... n-atheism/

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Skep tickle wrote:
PutZ wrote: I grew up in the 1960s, and I remember a real divide — there were all these young people demanding an end to the draft and opposing war, and then there were all the people with the “America, love it or leave it” bumper stickers. And even when I was 9 years old I could see the deep logical flaw in the bumper sticker people. If you really loved the country, and you saw serious problems (like Nixon, or creationism, or misogyny), wouldn’t the appropriate response be to work to fix them, rather than denying their existence?

Yet here we have atheists who insist on the equivalent of “atheism, love it or leave it,” seeing no flaws at all, and demanding that anyone who disagrees should shut up in the name of holy unity.
See, now this right here is a perfect example of his idiocy. America is a country. Atheism is the lack of belief in the existence of gods. One of these things is a collective that changes in response to input from its constituents. The other is the lack of belief in the existence of gods.

Words—they have meanings.

Now, if he wants to argue that the lack of belief in the existence of gods logically leads to X, Y, and Z further conclusions, then he's more than welcome to do so. And if he wants to argue that the atheist "community" as a whole should push for far left sociopolitical change, he can go right ahead.

But he doesn't get to motte-and-bailey the word atheist, first redefining it provocatively as "the lack of belief in the existence of gods, paired with far left politics," only to then retreat to its normal definition and insist that this whole time he was merely talking about what he thinks should be the goals of the atheist movement (and you're just an idiot if you thought otherwise).

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tribble wrote:
The physics engine isn't the core of the game. BUT, it's a big part of the game so that when you're doing physics-intense things like launching rockets you're going to start dragging. How much they've fixed, I don't know. I do check back every now and then and I'm hoping they take some short-cuts which might make parts of it more 'arcade' like but playable.

It reminds me of the old space shuttle simulator -- Shuttle. Great on paper. But damn, it ate computers and had some annoying bugs...
It works very well on my computer. Only issue is when I get too close to my space station (about 800 parts so far) it gets a bit choppy, but still playable.

As for Shuttle simulator, I have Space Shuttle Mission Simulator and it runs like a charm.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

welch wrote:

Nobody cares though. He only roped in two comments. Probably because it's a huge fucking wall of text.
SHUT UP AND LISTEN???
Who the fuck makes videos about Atheism+ in July 2014?
My best guess: cunts on both sides that need drama to stay "popular".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

James Caruthers wrote:
didymos wrote: Weird how you completely misunderstand what people are actually mocking.
'Ministry of Peace."

SJW Libs love to give shitty, horrible ideas beautiful-sounding names, so you can't be "against" those ideas without seeming to be against truth, justice, equality for all, beauty, love, peace, etc.

This is a trick of language that only works on those with the brains of five-year olds.
"People's Glorious Democratic Republic of [insert totalitarian regime]" <-- proven many, many times over by history. And if you're against Democracy and the People, you're obviously evil and need to be silenced/killed.

SJW endgame.

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Sunder wrote:I've also heard SJWs bitching about The Incredibles for having a Randian bent.

And I've heard very, very liberal fans of animation tell them to go fuck themselves because it's still a good movie.
I'm with them on that one too. I call it Atlas Shrugged for tykes. Mostly what pisses me off about The Incredibles is that the villain's plot was to make his technology available to all so that everyone can be a super hero but then the good guys stop him, so no super powers for the ubermenschen who need to know their place.
Also there was all the murder he was doing.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

While his thesis is unsupported, I think he makes a good case for something we all know here: religion is only a manifestation of a combination of flaws intrinsic to the human experience, including ingroup bias, outgroup homogeneity bias, confirmation bias, projection, attribution bias, framing effect, just world hypothesis, edited memories, pareidolia, etc...
I think that they are more or less right, but they're a bit too strict in their requirements for an "atheists" world view. People who are completely atheist and don't believe in any supernatural entities exist, it's just that they're a minority and they'll probably never be a majority.

Moreover just because some flaws in reasoning cannot be eliminated it doesn't mean that they cannot be moderated or that we shouldn't be at least made aware of them. And some beliefs are more rational and based in reality than how the article seem to argue.

For example, while it's clear that on a world scale the idea that "you reap what you sow" is an irrational superstition, on a smaller scale I don't think it's irrational to assume that treating other people kindly makes them more likely to be kind to you, while treating them badly you are more likely to be treated badly in response. Psychological experiments shows that this is true.

Though I really find this paragraph interesting:
If a tale ended with Harry Potter being tortured to death and the Dursley family dancing on his grave, the audience would be horrified, of course, but also puzzled: that’s not what happens in stories. Similarly, in a tragedy, we would be surprised if King Lear’s cruelty to Cordelia did not lead to his demise.
Is this really such an irrational belief, though? Of course it's irrational to assume that all good deeds are rewarded and all bad deeds punished, but the idea that if you're openly cruel to someone people will be less likely to help you and if they're related to that someone they'll be more likely to want to punish you is a pretty rational one to have. Psychology shows that people have empathy, after all.

The world might not be completely just, but it's completely unjust, either.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tribble wrote:
I think NVIDA, who bought the company that made the Phys X hardware, puts the Phys X hardware in some of its cards, but I haven't really kept up with the issue.
They do, I have Phys X on mine.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Golly, I thought armpit hair meant they were French....
I really wonder where that stereotype comes from. You'd be hard-pressed to find a French woman between 15 and 50 with armpit hair.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Golly, I thought armpit hair meant they were French....
I really wonder where that stereotype comes from. You'd be hard-pressed to find a French woman between 15 and 50 with armpit hair.
The one that always baffled me was the whole "Polish people are morons" thing.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
A sad attempt at humor.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Anyone who likes Kerbal might like Orbiter. Free. Very hard to learn. Much more simulation like than Kerbal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbiter_(simulator)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

debaser71 wrote:Anyone who likes Kerbal might like Orbiter. Free. Very hard to learn. Much more simulation like than Kerbal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbiter_(simulator)

I have it too, with the high res packs and some add-ons. Great software, but really hardcore simulation. Kerbal is more accessible and fun to familiarize with basic space physics. Orbiter is the next step, I guess.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_joke
Some of the early 20th century Polish jokes might have been told originally before World War II in disputed border-regions such as Silesia, suggesting that Polish jokes did not originate in Nazi Germany, but a lot earlier, as an outgrowth of regional jokes rooted in historical social class differences. Nonetheless, these jokes were later fuelled by ethnic slurs disseminated by German warlords and National Socialist propaganda that attempted to justify the Nazi crimes against ethnic Poles by presenting them as dirty and relegating them as inferior on the basis of not being German. Polish jokes were used to spread anti-Polish prejudice to justify atrocities against Poles (Jewish and non-Jewish) by the German Nazi army.
So basically, German prejudices, and then also Nazis.

Crabman

Post by Crabman »

ccdimage wrote:I'm not into the mutilated face look so I don't think she is arm candy.
Pointy elbows, skin ruined with holes, pinprick sized mole on left side of face. 2/10 would not bang.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Without wanting to appear too serious, and conscious I am breaking into normal programming. But could someone with pacer access please do a quick check on the Radford status?

As I noted above Benrlegal.info has been down for over a day.

Any one of the following 4 options are possible.

Radford may have:

Reached a settlement
Been caught out telling porkies
Given up due to the apathy shown by big tent skepticism (& assumed supporters) and pulled the plug
Been threatened by a counter suit and pulled the site rather than open a $econd front

Thank you.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Kirbmarc wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_joke
Some of the early 20th century Polish jokes might have been told originally before World War II in disputed border-regions such as Silesia, suggesting that Polish jokes did not originate in Nazi Germany, but a lot earlier, as an outgrowth of regional jokes rooted in historical social class differences. Nonetheless, these jokes were later fuelled by ethnic slurs disseminated by German warlords and National Socialist propaganda that attempted to justify the Nazi crimes against ethnic Poles by presenting them as dirty and relegating them as inferior on the basis of not being German. Polish jokes were used to spread anti-Polish prejudice to justify atrocities against Poles (Jewish and non-Jewish) by the German Nazi army.
So basically, German prejudices, and then also Nazis.
Fucking Nazis. Thanks for enacting that labor though. A longstanding mystery has been solved.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Uh-oh. Pizzle done fucked it up again:
So I’m loving PZ Myers’ smackdown of Bill Maher, then comment #108 rolls up, and he’s lauding the “ferocity” of Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Really? A sample of her thought on black voting rights:

What will we and our daughters suffer if these degraded black men are allowed to have the rights that would make them worse than our Saxon fathers?

Professor, you need a few days rest.

Satan

Post by Satan »

Skep tickle wrote:Multiple posts on Jaclyn Glenn, but until just recently missed the news that ~100 HIV researchers died in the plane shot down over Ukraine.
Given Russia's own demographics and HIV infection rate, the ultimate cost of that part of the shoot-down might be higher than all other costs of Putin's Ukrainian misadventure combined.

Imbeciles.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

didymos wrote: Weird how you completely misunderstand what people are actually mocking.
If they understood, they wouldn't be an SJW.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

didymos wrote:Uh-oh. Pizzle done fucked it up again:
So I’m loving PZ Myers’ smackdown of Bill Maher, then comment #108 rolls up, and he’s lauding the “ferocity” of Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Really? A sample of her thought on black voting rights:

What will we and our daughters suffer if these degraded black men are allowed to have the rights that would make them worse than our Saxon fathers?

A few days rest? Peezus should crawl back under his rock and stay here.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

There are Jesus apologists and then there are Peezus apologists.
Seven of Mine, formerly piegasm

20 July 2014 at 3:49 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Gerard O @ 169

PZ wasn’t claiming all the women he listed were right about everything that they ever said; just that the connection between feminism and atheism is not a new thing. Read for comprehension please. Jesus.
Peezus Christ.

Wasn't this piegasm one of the original A-plus-theism asylum inmates? Just the right kind of person to be a Peezus apologist.

didymos

Post by didymos »

That shit wouldn't have flown on the A+ forum either. Ceepolk would have had her for breakfast for that one.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

didymos wrote:

Is this actually a thing? Teenage girls being declared the root of all evil?

Well, except for this piece of humor, when I Google the search term up, it's like water in the desert:

http://www.timwylie.com/files/math/girls.png

It's quite clever. From a humor standpoint. YMMV because, frankly, I like egghead humor.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Tribble wrote:
The physics engine isn't the core of the game. BUT, it's a big part of the game so that when you're doing physics-intense things like launching rockets you're going to start dragging. How much they've fixed, I don't know. I do check back every now and then and I'm hoping they take some short-cuts which might make parts of it more 'arcade' like but playable.

It reminds me of the old space shuttle simulator -- Shuttle. Great on paper. But damn, it ate computers and had some annoying bugs...
It works very well on my computer. Only issue is when I get too close to my space station (about 800 parts so far) it gets a bit choppy, but still playable.
It's good to read that it's working well for you. That's a game I really want to play, but it's in Alpha and there's been enough 'bad frame rates' when you build big structures/rockets that I'm... Concerned, especially as I've been burnt before.

OTOH, I'm not raging quitting over the 0.24 patch... I mean, really, rage quitting in an Alpha version of a game? WTF? It's alpha.

As for Shuttle simulator, I have Space Shuttle Mission Simulator and it runs like a charm.
Not the same game. Shuttle was released in 1992 and fought with Falcon 3.0 for 'best simulator' and 'game most likely to eat your rig.'

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... S-DOS).png

I think you're playing one of the games that comes from this family (SSMS, SSMS-2007, SSMS2):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LEOYCP0bXnI/S ... ox-NEW.png

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Because unshaven armpits was fairly common in pre-WWII continental Europe. Whereas armpit shaving took off in English language countries right after WWI. So, because of 20 years of adoption difference, we get cultural stereotypes that people loath to lose.

As for me, despite having lots of European friends over the years, I have yet to see a woman from Europe with unshaven legs or armpits. In fact, I've only actually seen a few in my entire life. And they've all been either hippie chicks way too old for my interest or rad-fems who were ginormous dicks...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Does anyone remember the days when Peezus and Dawkins were friends?
Myers biggest breaks, publicity-wise, was when Dawkins accompanied to him to a showing of the movie Expelled and Myers was 'expelled' but Dawkins got in because the security on the door didn't recognize him. That plus his 'Courtiers Reply', which Dawkins used as a preface in his later editions of 'The God Delusion'.

And yet now, look at him.
Praising a video that is well put together but is shamelessly biased and desperately scrapes the barrel in terms of what material it uses (the video maker resorts to the kind of evidence and arguments that even Svan would be embarrassed to use*.)
The entire point of the video seems to be to provide an excuse to call Dawkins, Grothe et al, dicks.
So much for Peezus and his statement that it is wrong to use gendered slurs that are based on genitalia.

Oh wait, is it OK for them to do it?

http://i.imgur.com/3rS2LMz.jpg

And then, to top it off, the video maker links Dawkins to the Ku Klux Klan! - for, of all things, his Dear Muslima post.

Because, as we all know, if the Ku Klux Klan are best known for one thing, it's their strong advocacy of the rights of women in Islamic theocracies to have education, equality under the law and freedom from genital mutilation and stoning.

http://i.imgur.com/WNM8Q4G.jpg

And Myers describes this as "a damn fine video"?

*Of course I am joking, there's no depths to which Svan wouldn't stoop and embarrassment is not her style.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

didymos wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Za-zen wrote:He's good. I think some education for kids (not just boys) about respecting others' boundaries would be a generally good thing but he's right, "teach men not to rape" isn't likely to reduce criminal rape - nobody uses "I didn't know it was wrong" as their defense.
Ironically, if this whole "Teach men not to rape" thing takes off, it's only a matter of time before someone actually tries to use the "Rape Culture made me do it" defense.
That's a very good fucking point. Maybe it'll need someone to make that kind of bullshit excuse before SJWers realise that oh wait maybe everyone does know rape is a bad fucking thing.

Haha they never will think that what am I saying

He does make a lot of points that have been in my mind since the start of this bullshittery - particularly the fact that the principles for "rape prevention" are used by every motherfucker to protect themselves. I don't feel unsafe wandering about alone in the city (in fact, I haven't felt unsafe while pissing about in the dark in any city I've been to, with the exception of San Francisco because US TV has warped my brain) because I'm a low chance of a target for getting fucked with. My husband is a white male who looks like anyone could fucking take him, so he freaks out a bit going out at night because he's worried about getting robbed/mugged. So he sticks to safe places.

Me I'm like wtfever, sometimes I go home with random people I meet on busses.

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

Dawkins defends Glenn:

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Brive1987 wrote:Without wanting to appear too serious, and conscious I am breaking into normal programming. But could someone with pacer access please do a quick check on the Radford status?

Radford may have:

Reached a settlement
Given up due to the apathy shown by big tent skepticism (& assumed supporters) and pulled the plug
Been threatened by a counter suit and pulled the site rather than open a $econd front

Thank you.
No idea, but given I and several others contributed real money to his fund, an explanation as to what is goig on is not much to ask.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
If they understood, they wouldn't be an SJW.
They understand perfectly well. It's a classic "have you stopped beating your wife?" wedge tactic. It's like passing a "Violence Against Women Act", because anybody who votes against it you can point at and she "see? S/he's in favour of violence against women!"

Don't underestimate them. They know what they're doing.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Biohazard wrote:Dawkins defends Glenn:
Uh-oh, he just ruined Ophelia's Sunday. This is worth...oh, at least seven posts.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Without wanting to appear too serious, and conscious I am breaking into normal programming. But could someone with pacer access please do a quick check on the Radford status?

Radford may have:

Reached a settlement

Thank you.
No idea, but given I and several others contributed real money to his fund, an explanation as to what is goig on is not much to ask.
I would put money down on the last option, I don't get the feeling he will do "a Shermer". A threatened or real counter suit was a logical move as soon as KS got her 60k - and she communicated as much. At the very least it's a sure fire way to lose his evidence site or empty his pockets.

My guess is that pacer will show nothing of note or else a KS initiated riposte.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Philadelphia mosque leaders try to cut off mans hand
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSK ... 8?irpc=932

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

someone should search her timeline to see what she has to say about 'family values'

i mean theyre VALUES!

Guestus Aurelius

PutZ wrote: 175
PZ Myers

20 July 2014 at 6:30 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

#169, Gerard O:

That is so symptomatic of the mindset I oppose. “Oh, he had good words for Stanton — she must be his shining hero! Ha ha, I’ll shock him by pointing out her flaws.”

You won’t set me back in the slightest. She is not my “hero”, I am well aware of her flaws, as I am of all the people I mentioned. You think in a black&white way, that if someone lists some people who are good at some things, then I must be only accepting perfection.

You’ve made my point for me again, and demonstrated how oblivious you are in the process.
This defense in response to being called a hero-worshiper seems awfully familiar...

Oh, right, it's exactly what all the Dawkins/Shermer/Feynman/etc. fans say when the SJL accuses them of the same.

IT'S OKAY WHEN THEY DO IT.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

didymos wrote:Uh-oh. Pizzle done fucked it up again:

Despite this person making a good effort of trying to play the More SJW Than Thou card, s/he is apparently not among the inner circle, and thus gets the MRA dudebro treatment.

Oh, and of course Paul breaks the irony meter once again by calling them "condescending." Although Nerd probably wore it down first by griping about someone complaining rather than doing something to actually effect change.

What a bunch of fuckaloons.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

DownThunder wrote:
Tribble wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Hey Phil-what was the name of that spaceflight simulation game you're playing?
He's playing Kerbal Space Program. It's a really CPU-bound game that eats computers because the Unity Game Engine, which a significant part of the code, doesn't support threading/multi-core. So you get posts like this on the official boards:
Yes, yes... I know there is entire official post requiring "NOT TO SUGGEST" multithreading / multicore functionality.

My problem is, that in about two days of playing KSP I started building four stage rockets, and my 4GHz CPU core doesn't cope with launching it. Well, if ALL SIX cores of my 4 years old CPU would be allowed to participate, I might even be able to add a stage or two... And fly it with more than 0.5 frames per second...

And replies like this:
KSP itself is multithreaded. The part that is not is the Unity game engine which handles things like the physics. ...
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/thr ... ithreading

It was a game I was going to get until i read about the multi-threading problem. Now it's on my Steam wishlist, but I just don't know if I'll ever spend the money as I've played other games with this issue and it can be a nightmare.
I wonder why more focus isn't on getting GPUs utilised as physics processors. Its also extremely promising as a DSP chip substitute for us digital musicians. A dedicated physics or DSP chip is going to be expensive, but more people could stick a few more GPUs in their computer.
I thought a lot of games already did that, utilized the GPU, which is why you sometimes get the overheating complaints.

As to space games I am addicted to Distant Suns right now. Endless Space bored and irritated me, Gal Civ I found shallow (all talk and no trousers) but DS I am having a blast with.

I'm also GMing 2 Pathfinder Adventure paths a week, total about 20 hours, and several hours of boardgaming. It's good having worked my bollocks off from nothing and semi retired privileged.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

sinister wrote:
Sunder wrote:I've also heard SJWs bitching about The Incredibles for having a Randian bent.

And I've heard very, very liberal fans of animation tell them to go fuck themselves because it's still a good movie.
I'm not one to judge a movie based on a political bent at all in most cases. I mean unless we are talking about Atlas Shrugged. The book was terrible, I can't imagine a movie made it any more coherent. :bjarte:
Don't get me wrong. I still liked Ghostbusters(the first one anyway), not so much The Incredibles.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

http://i.imgur.com/FPtXkAv.jpg

Paul, I defy you to offer up ONE example of anyone saying that. Because no one ever has.

That's not something you're capable of doing.

You can't redefine atheism. You can't kick people you don't like out of atheism. You can't compel people who identify as atheists to buy all the bullshit you think they ought to. And it burns you up that you can't do any of these things.

The rest of us just look at your attempt to redefine what atheism should mean the same way we look at creationists who misuse words like "theory." Except at least some creationists are merely confused, whereas you're up there in the Ken Ham category of willful liars.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

sinister wrote:Also, I am not so fond of the sharp knees posts to validate the lady friends of, well anyone really. Her voice, I'll grant you that, but I think her mind must be in an okay state to accomplish what she has. It's also pretty fucked up to assign her a place based on whose hand she is holding. PZ screwed that assessment up with some misogyny to spare. With friends (allies) like that...
Has it been confirmed it was her? I must have missed a post if it was.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

clownshoe wrote:
welch wrote:

SHUT UP AND LISTEN???
Who the fuck makes videos about Atheism+ in July 2014?
My best guess: cunts on both sides that need drama to stay "popular".
Shut up and make another podcast.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

didymos wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I think that's from Germany which translated to the US.

Guestus Aurelius

Sunder wrote:http://i.imgur.com/FPtXkAv.jpg

Paul, I defy you to offer up ONE example of anyone saying that. Because no one ever has.

That's not something you're capable of doing.

You can't redefine atheism. You can't kick people you don't like out of atheism. You can't compel people who identify as atheists to buy all the bullshit you think they ought to. And it burns you up that you can't do any of these things.

The rest of us just look at your attempt to redefine what atheism should mean the same way we look at creationists who misuse words like "theory." Except at least some creationists are merely confused, whereas you're up there in the Ken Ham category of willful liars.
Shorter PZ: Yes, OF COURSE you're automatically an atheist if you don't believe in god! All I'm saying is, don't get all butthurt when I point out that not believing in god doesn't automatically make you an atheist!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Radford may have:

Reached a settlement

Thank you.
Could it simply be down for technical reasons or some time limit?

Guestus Aurelius

(In other words, classic motte-and-bailey there, PZ.)

Guestus Aurelius

If the term just means a lack of belief in gods, then the term DOES NOT "carry some obligations" beyond not believing in gods. Read it carefully: he does actually say that it's the term that "ought to also carry some obligations"—not the movement, not the "community," the fucking term.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

James Caruthers wrote:
Sorry, I have to ask, what is Jaclyn Glenn’s “thing”? What does she contribute to atheism that’s unique? I’ve listened to her talk and nothing she says is unique or particularly thoughtful or even very interesting. It’s all been said before many, many times often better by smarter people. That’s not a slight against her – I’d do the same thing if I set myself up as a YouTube warrior. I wouldn’t offer unique insights or enlightening commentary. I’d be saying much of the same superficial stuff many people before me has said better than I could.

What is Glenn’s appeal? She’s not particularly thoughtful or insightful. She isn’t funny or uplifting. She’s just white bread. Why do people watch her knowing she’ll say the same shallow things so many others have said more eloquently than she will?
The answer is always GOTIS. Jaclyn is popular for the same reason Lacie Greene is. This poster should have had the brass (patriarchal) BALLS to come out and say what xe means.

I happen to agree with this FTBlogger btw (ok, I'm not even CLOSE to as buttfrustrated as this person is, and I'm not speaking out of a need to defend Oafie's fee-fees, but still) that Jaclyn adds nothing to atheism and her videos are like white noise to me.
That's because you are not the target. The Average Merkin is the target. They will listen to a perky, pretty girl talk about stuff. Whereas they would not listen to the same stuff presented by - Thor* forbid - a grumpy old bloke like me.
Tribble wrote:Well, if I could be bothered to set up an account, I'd tell her the appeal is (a) she's good looking, (b) has a nice personality and (c) she opposes the hive-mind and bullies of FtB who have clearly lost the path, if they ever had it. That's a win-win-win.

So I listen to her even though, frankly, I don't need anyone to explain atheism to me. After all, it's damn simple concept despite so many people trying to make it complex so they can pontificate and lord their personal and political preferences over others under the flag of atheism.
Like or not, attractive people will get more attention in a visual medium. It's not because we live in a horrible patriarchy, it's the way the human brain is wired. Is it fair? No. Is it effective? Yes. Besides, it's not Jaclyn's fault she's pretty, it's an accident of birth. She does choose to present herself in a certain way, but then - as I've commented before - she has a very tidy house. So, before she makes a video, she hoovers and puts on make up. That's her style. Just as appearing on camera with dirty hair and beer bottles in view is Becky's. In persuading the average person to stop and listen, which is going to work best?

*I have come to realise that yesterday's incident was a message from the god of lightning.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:If the term just means a lack of belief in gods, then the term DOES NOT "carry some obligations" beyond not believing in gods. Read it carefully: he does actually say that it's the term that "ought to also carry some obligations"—not the movement, not the "community," the fucking term.
I think Myers realized the inherent problem early on - hence the need to create Atheism Plus - something that was clearly planned behind the scenes on the FTB backchannel, with McCreight sent out as the early public face. But if anyone rally thinks McCreight came up with the idea herself you are just fooling yourselves (and besides, this was all confirmed later on in leaks from their ranks.)

But binding atheism to a political ideology is not novel and has only resulted in disasters in the past. Stalin, Pol Pot, North Korea, Morris Minnesota.
Myers, of course, wanted to link atheism with US based 'progressive' politics, with an emphasis on policing heterosexual behavior, but in so doing he just joins a queue of others who seek to act as the (usually self appointed) moral majority of any community.
And just like all previous demagogues of his ilk Myers has been hoist by his own petard of past indiscretions.
The cut price Hugo Schwizer of Morris has plenty of fuel available for his feminist allies when the time comes - and it will come.
As soon as he stops being of value to them he will be promptly whisked away to his own private bonfire. All the numerous sexist posts on Pharyngula, all the tentacle rape porn, all the drunken meetups at conferences, the rape accusation from his student, the various porcupine rape threats promoted for years amongst the horde, does he really think feminists don't know about this or that he's somehow passed the statute of limitations and it doesn't count any more.
In the minds of radical feminists?

No Peezus, all that stuff is carefully filed away by the Shakesvillians and their like, and it WILL be used as evidence against you when the time comes.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:If the term just means a lack of belief in gods, then the term DOES NOT "carry some obligations" beyond not believing in gods. Read it carefully: he does actually say that it's the term that "ought to also carry some obligations"—not the movement, not the "community," the fucking term.
Yeh he's an idiot. It also plays into the religious apologetics angle that being an atheist makes you immoral because it 'does something' by inherently changing your views. A lot of SJW talk plays into extreme religious views, such as you can will yourself into a different gender so 'curing' gays in gay camps works. The world is full of good people and bad people, no subtlety, empathy or intellect required. Its a very lazy way of thinking that gives easy emotional highs from the feeling of superiority.

That's why people such as Ray Comfort love Myers as he feeds him the proof Comfort desperately needs. It's why people such as Adam Lee can be relied on to attack atheism on a religious podcast thereby making religion look good. For the religious, the SJW's are useful idiots and highly detrimental to the years long struggle for atheism to be accepted. But as Myers and many SJW's have said, he is fine with the atheist movement collapsing if it does not comply with his wishes so he has no care about that.

There is absolutely nothing that requires a lack of belief in a god to inform moral and ethical views. He is mixing up religious belief and culture with atheism, rather stupid really and a basic error only the emotionally brittle would make.

I have always thought the term 'atheist movement' a misnomer. It does not even lead to secular activities. It has no inherent meaning leading to anything. The fact Myers is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole is common for SJW's. People like Myers make it extremely hard when dealing with those who accuse atheism of being a religion. For people like Myers it is a religion and we better follow it or be damned to hell. But it's a religion he has made up based on pure emotion and not reason. It is not fit for purpose so they have to lie, misrepresent and slur to create one. It's only attractive to the emotionally damaged, the lost, the arrogant, the authoritarian and the narcissist.

Many people who struggled to leave their religion have no interest in joining another with the same old crap being spouted by the same old bunch of bigots.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

http://i.imgur.com/FPtXkAv.jpg

February 2011:
Dictionary Atheists. Boy, I really do hate these guys. You’ve got a discussion going, talking about why you’re an atheist, or what atheism should mean to the community, or some such topic that is dealing with our ideas and society, and some smug wanker comes along and announces that “Atheism means you lack a belief in gods. Nothing more. Quit trying to add meaning to the term.” As if atheism can only be some platonic ideal floating in virtual space with no connections to anything else; as if atheists are people who have attained a zen-like ideal, their minds a void, containing nothing but atheism, which itself is nothing. Dumbasses.

If I ask you to explain to me why you are an atheist, reciting the dictionary at me, you are saying nothing: asking why you are a person who does not believe in god is not answered when you reply, “Because I am a person who does not believe in god.” And if you protest when I say that there is more to the practice of atheism than that, insisting that there isn’t just makes you dogmatic and blind.
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... n-atheist/
dogmatic: characterized by or given to the expression of opinions very strongly or positively as if they were facts
He was an intellectual train-wreck then. He's an intellectual train-wreck now.

Such as his attempts at redefining atheism (a well defined word) to include his particular views on what we 'should' or 'ought' to do if we self-identify as atheists. At best he's made a confused line of reasoning where he fails to see that it is an argument of personal preferences (fallacy of argumentum ad personam) cut of the same cloth as those he dismisses.

But, even that is too charitable because his argument is also one of an attempted fallacy of argumentum ad baculum (force; the bully pulpit he uses) and really shows him to be nothing more than a fat bag of hubris.

What he ignores, conveniently of course, is that we have 'definitions' of words for a reason -- effective communication through the shared signification (meanings) of the words that comprise our common language. Something that's been well understood for centuries and without which, as Locke pointed out all those centuries ago, the achievement of human knowledge is often hampered by the use of words without proper 'signification' (exact meaning).

This is why, for example, STEM fields use exact words with proper and precise definitions. To do otherwise would make it virtually impossible to train or communicate with others.

Dick Feynman talked about something similar in 'Surely You're Joking..." He didn't like some of the symbols of calculus (dx/dy for example), so he invented his own. Then when he was working with someone they were like "what the hell is that?" I'm sure Feynman's symbols were well constructed and an improvement over tradition. BUT, nobody else knew them and he could not show his work as it were, so he went back -- lesson learned.

So he learned an important lesson -- definitions, words and symbols mean something and to change them or reinvent them has its peril, one of which is the inability to communicate with others. Another, of course, is to blindly go down the rabbit hole of Post Modernism where everything is fluid and stands for nothing so you can redefine reality, no matter how stupid about it you are, as you see fit.

And a lesson Paul continues to fail to learn, letting us know that Paul is certainly no Dick Feynman...

Anyway, smarmy digs at Paul aside, as we can see he's not quite the clever thinker he thinks he is as he indicts himself by charging others with dogmatism as he engages in his mirror-imaged dogmatic (and unsupported) belief that atheism requires certain positive beliefs, behaviors and attributes. All of which that just so happen to coincide perfectly with his SJW ways...

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Any other American parents (or whoever else) sick of this sort of shit?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/opini ... pan-region

Many times I read on these forums how parents are to blame for this and that....this article is just an example of the nonsense parents face from society at large. So to answer the question of why parents raise such entitled special snowflakes...it's because (as the article says) you can literally be arrested for not hovering 100% of the time. Good luck trying to raise independent children when the notions of unattended, unstructured play is deemed abnormal, risky, and criminal.