Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Badger3k

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Badger3k »

James Caruthers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Oh god, please don't stop.

http://i.imgur.com/PEpcyy8.jpg
LOL

She got shadowbanned. 8-)

I love it!

:dance: Welcome to the shadowbanned club. :dance:
Does this mean we get to send out invitations? Will there be punch and pie?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

DownThunder wrote:Ophelia Benson is just experiencing hate from being a (trans exclusionary radical) feminist online.
It all makes sense when you think of trans* as toilets.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tribble wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: BTW, anyone know how the figure bandied about for illegals went from c. 30 million to 15 million, and now apparently 11.5 million, in just a few years? And, no: 18.5 million did not just pack up & leave.

Ugh. According to the DHS, there were 8.5 million 2000. There are 11.5 million now. At NO TIME where there ever 30 million and the 30 million is the total number that have been estimated to enter since 1980 -- of which MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS WERE DEPORTED, nearly 2 million DIED, and plenty of others (nearly 4 million) left on their own.

You really need to find better data sources. Preferably ones run by people who are not xenophobes and spend all their time bullshitting you. Because there aren't, and never were, 30 million illegal immigrants living in America.
I recall xenophile progs at places like DU and ThinkProgess citing the higher figures as evidence of the futility of trying to deport illegals. But once obama started pushing amnesty, the progs' figures suddenly dropped.

In 2005, Bear Stearns estimated 20 million illegals. The truth is, by their very nature, illegals are difficult to quantify. But whether 11 million or 20 million, their negative impact is demonstrable and significant, as is the impact of legal immigrants. The US is already overpopulated, with consumption of resources exceeding replenishment. Illegal immigration should be suppressed, and legal immigration drastically reduced.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
H. Korban wrote:Of course, there are many things wrong with Islam and perhaps some interpretation of it are rather rotten. I left it a long time ago, but do not hate Islam, Muhammad or Muslims. Most of my family and friends and large swaths of my community are believers and are genuinely nice people. If you would take a random sample of these, you would find that their beliefs, values, morals, education etc. is not different from average Western groups, say in cosmopolitan US cities.

I am also involved in a reform movement in my own community. When one says "reform" in our community one does not mean elimination of religion, but parasitic clergy. In fact, if one is openly atheistic, the chances of making any changes in such communities is zero.

What we see here is the tendency to ascribe the worst trait, in the tail of a Gaussian distribution, to the average. Something we deride in others, but are happy to do ourselves. Not all Baboons are founds on FTB or Skepchick.
I have generally thought that the US Muslim population is rather mild. They have different styles for their churches, and slightly different styles of dress when they attend services. But I don't give them a 2nd thought.

That said, I do wonder if there isn't a bit of difference between the US Muslim populations & European Muslim populations, or at least in certain nations. I get a sense that the there are significant migrant populations that are poor & are clumped into ghettos. High unemployment. Little respect. Seen as foreigners. Whereas in the US, they come off as middle class and well integrated as much as any other religious group.

I am open to all possibilities, including your proposal of the long tail noisy asshole getting all of the attention and appearing to be more significant than they really are.

If I am not mistaken, there have been some decent random surveys put forth by research groups & respected papers that could help us assess the stances of the various populations vs. relying on anecdotal samplings, which it appears we are all doing right now.
I think we're in more danger from domestic terrorism from the radical right/militia/extreme Christians than we are from muslims. Doesn't stop them from being made into bogeymen, though.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

AndrewV69 wrote: If you do population genetics those are generally known as "Y chromosome replacement events" and we have been doing them like forever.

Ponder if you will the implications of what that says about our nature.

The whole history of humanity is written in our genes, and many/most of those stories are not pretty.
You'd hope we'd be past all that by now as a civilization. But one major world religion still justifies such barbaric practices as sanctioned and ordered by its deity, a practice that is, in fact, the central raison d'etre for the religion: Islam.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

sinister wrote:Why can't the world simply be unjust? Why does it take patriarchy to explain the problems in society? I have tried to ask questions but it seems to boil down to menz be teh evil.

So, yeah that's not going to be how I raise my children to behave.
Of course not. Look at your avatar.

No wonder you're an oppressive white (very white) patriarchal male shitlord! :snooty:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Tribble wrote:[quote="Matt Cavanaugh"
It's the immigrants who had all the surplus babies.

BTW, anyone know how the figure bandied about for illegals went from c. 30 million to 15 million, and now apparently 11.5 million, in just a few years? And, no: 18.5 million did not just pack up & leave.

Ugh. According to the DHS, there were 8.5 million 2000. There are 11.5 million now. At NO TIME where there ever 30 million and the 30 million is the total number that have been estimated to enter since 1980 -- of which MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS WERE DEPORTED, nearly 2 million DIED, and plenty of others (nearly 4 million) left on their own.

Deportations run, in the US, between 750K (Obama) and 1.8 million (Clinton) per year for the last 20 years. Currently there are 1.8 million illegals in the deportation process.

http://cis.org/sites/cis.org/files/Figure1small.jpg

You really need to find better data sources. Preferably ones run by people who are not xenophobes and spend all their time bullshitting you. Because there aren't, and never were, 30 million illegal immigrants living in America.[/quote]

Depends on what you call illegal immigrant, paleface.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Andrew do you believe in God/a god/ some other supernatural weird shit?
Nope. Never have.

I tried really hard to up until my first holy communion and realized I really did not believe any of it. Nothing has changed since then.

From what I can tell natural atheists like myself and Scented Nectar are pretty rare.
In my experience "natural atheists" are not that rare. Besides myself, there are several good friends I grew up with who were also natural atheists. (I am in my mid 50's, west coast Canada)

There was never any religious indoctrination in my immediate family, though I do recall my grandmother explaining religion and gawd to me when I was very young; it all sounded so Santa Claus to me. I didn't buy into Santa Claus or any of that shit after I was 4 or 5 years old either. I never felt betrayed or lied to or anything - Santa*/God*/Trans* - it was all just obvious cultural artifice.

(Just riffing on the Trans* stuff.)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

John D wrote:I can't help but think that Muslims coming to the US tend to want to be part of "America." Perhaps Muslims in some European countries tend to think they can live the way they always have... except in a different place.
So what variables might be at play? Higher costs of moving a family here means more financially well off Muslims move here? Perhaps at one time better employment opportunities for the initial immigration waves have established a more mild founding communities? Perhaps no one gave a rats ass what their religion was (at least until 9/11) helped integration? Perhaps motivations & expectations for those who moved here were different.

Back in the 90's for one of my first jobs I did a little fast food work for a family & manager from Jordan. I never asked what their religion was. It never crossed my mind, but you would have a hard time as seeing them as very different beyond slight differences ethic make up & perhaps a slightly different accent. Maybe a little tighter together as a family unit. The younger manager, was very happy to be away from Jordan. A different coworker I have worked with for a couple of decades mentioned being from what? Egypt? Turkey? The only comment he has made about his home country was that is was very different over there and he didn't ever want to go back. Something about the horror of watching someone be beheaded in public in broad daylight. These are people who left to get away & didn't want to bring over the more brutal parts of their old traditions. They were successful, integrating during their lifetimes and doing well.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

TiBo wrote:I didn't dare to say it but flamboyant fags acted like affected assholes before black women jumped that train, so technically .... :think:
Yeah. I was wondering if her and I were thinking of the same people. Of course, the flamboyant flaming gays, have always tending to be to me more fun loving, saying outlandish, perhaps biting satyric things for the comedic effect. So long as you don't have a chip on your shoulder and accept them, they are fun to be around and I wouldn't consider them assholes.

windy

Post by windy »

deLurch wrote:
H. Korban wrote:Of course, there are many things wrong with Islam and perhaps some interpretation of it are rather rotten. I left it a long time ago, but do not hate Islam, Muhammad or Muslims. Most of my family and friends and large swaths of my community are believers and are genuinely nice people. If you would take a random sample of these, you would find that their beliefs, values, morals, education etc. is not different from average Western groups, say in cosmopolitan US cities.

I am also involved in a reform movement in my own community. When one says "reform" in our community one does not mean elimination of religion, but parasitic clergy. In fact, if one is openly atheistic, the chances of making any changes in such communities is zero.

What we see here is the tendency to ascribe the worst trait, in the tail of a Gaussian distribution, to the average. Something we deride in others, but are happy to do ourselves. Not all Baboons are founds on FTB or Skepchick.
I have generally thought that the US Muslim population is rather mild. They have different styles for their churches, and slightly different styles of dress when they attend services. But I don't give them a 2nd thought.

That said, I do wonder if there isn't a bit of difference between the US Muslim populations & European Muslim populations, or at least in certain nations. I get a sense that the there are significant migrant populations that are poor & are clumped into ghettos. High unemployment. Little respect. Seen as foreigners. Whereas in the US, they come off as middle class and well integrated as much as any other religious group.
There are some obvious differences, on average, between different groups of "Muslim immigrants". For example, the secular Iranians who fled after the revolution tend to be extremely well integrated in Europe as well the US (of course, it doesn't even make sense to lump them all as "Muslims".) The "problematic" groups are often more recent migrants from poorer, more conservative, less well educated backgrounds such as Somalis, that the US doesn't tend to receive in similar proportions as many European countries do.

The Somali community in Minnesota is often cited as a success story by neoliberals, in contrast to their cousins who are cruelly oppressed by European nanny states that provide them with housing and living expenses. But even in Minnesota, only 50% of working age Somalis are employed and 82% live below the poverty line.

Southern

Post by Southern »

deLurch wrote:
TiBo wrote:I didn't dare to say it but flamboyant fags acted like affected assholes before black women jumped that train, so technically .... :think:
Yeah. I was wondering if her and I were thinking of the same people. Of course, the flamboyant flaming gays, have always tending to be to me more fun loving, saying outlandish, perhaps biting satyric things for the comedic effect. So long as you don't have a chip on your shoulder and accept them, they are fun to be around and I wouldn't consider them assholes.
Oh, but they would love you to consider their assholes.

:rimshot:

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
H. Korban wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The entire, beard-pissing religion is just an excuse to invade other lands, behead the men there, take their stuff, and rape their widows.
Bolding mine. Not a particularly Muslim, trait, one should observe. All groups organized around religious, or even secular nationalistic lines are "just an excuse to invade other lands, behead the men there, take their stuff, and rape their widows". Witness colonialism, communism and even our own beloved "American Exceptionalism", going on at present in many places around the world, where our beloved leaders are trying to win hearts and minds with missiles and tank and boots on the face.
I'm largely ignorant of Hindiusm, but of the other major world religions -- Christianity, Buddhism/Zen, Confucianism/Taoism -- which, like Islam, have passages in their holy books expressly decreeing the invasion of infidel lands, the beheading of infidels, and the divvying up of infidel women? Which of them, like Islam, have a specific neologism for such "Holy War" that serves as the leifmotif of their religion?

American Exceptionalism and imperialism are both very real. But where in our documents or laws are they enshrined?
I don't know about it being in any official documents but there was the 19th century doctrine of manifest destiny.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

As with any other religion or identity movement, I don't really care what people believe deep inside, as long as their delusions don't interfere with my (and others') everyday life. It's when they start pushing their beliefs that I have a problem. It is somewhat amusing that the religious zealots and SJWs are almost indistinguishable in that they will invade my everyday life with whatever brand of special pleading they have going on at the time.

So to both these groups, I give a hearty "fuck off". Free of charge.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Whether muslims or Senegalese in Europe, or Mexicans & Guatemalans in the US, the immigrants are by and large peasants. Ignorant, superstitious, uneducated & uninterested in education. Blind adherents to religion. Who treat their women badly, their animals cruelly.

Further, most show no desire to assimilate, and the SJWs say they are under no obligation to do so. Yet their peasant cultural mores are anathema to ours.

We can't one the one hand extol the virtues of education, tolerance & enlightenment, while on the other hand pretending that influxes of uneducated, intolerant & pre-modern thinkers will not adversely affect our western society.
Legal or illegal immigrants? Legal immigrants seem to do quite well in the US. South American illegal immigrants, tend to to mix quite as well, but I expect that has a hell of a lot more to do with necessity based on their illegal status. And they are poorer to boot. There was a Salsa dancing night at a restaurant near where I used to live, where the crowd would get a little rough & stabby if men danced with the wrong woman. Too bad. It seemed like fun if it wasn't for that hanging overhead.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

H. Korban wrote:You, you, bad man! You have triggered the following memory: I once was browsing in my university library (when I was a grad student) and came across an old book which was written by some British fellow. It was written before India got its independence. His whole motive was to classify the various Indian groups into how good servants they would make, and for what purpose. So, the Sikhs were classified as being loyal and strong guards, the South Indians as good cooks, etc. It was beautifully illustrated, with paintings of various Indians in various servant clothes. It was very disturbing. Thank Allah I had not heard of twitter then.
So, while India was part of the British Empire, the wealthier classes - who had British servants at home - had Indian servants in India. I'll bet the wealthier Indians had Indian servants too. In fact, unlike the British, almost everyone in India who can be considered middle class or higher on the social scale has servants to this day.

Here's a modern British Asian take on it:

[youtube]iFfyUXYTj2c[/youtube]

acathode

Post by acathode »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote:
sinister wrote:Why can't the world simply be unjust? Why does it take patriarchy to explain the problems in society? I have tried to ask questions but it seems to boil down to menz be teh evil.

So, yeah that's not going to be how I raise my children to behave.
Because that way, you're not part of it. If you make "the bad people" all reside in one group, and it's a group you're not a part of, then you skip out on the blame.
Another factor that can't ignored is the fact that most of these gorps, from the first time they managed to crawl without falling on their faces, have been constantly told that they are special snowflakes who can do no wrong and who are deserved of everything the world has to offer.

Once that level of entitlement has been graven into your mind, the idea that the world might simply not lay itself down at your feet is anathema. Hence the need for an insidious global conspiracy to explain why the world isn't their oyster.
There's also the simple fact that every religion worth it's salt have know for centuries - It's much, much easier to rally people and get them fighting for a cause of you have an external enemy.

Is it just me though, or do anyone else get the impression that one of the major reasons the SJWs behave the way they do is because they are so pissed that all the major battles for equality in the west have already been won? I just get the vibe from a lot of them that they are incredibly frustrated and even quite jealous about having been born a couple of generations too late, missing out on those real Social Justice fights - actual, meaningful feminist battles, the Civil Right's Movement, the pacific/hippie stuff, and hell, even the green movement and gay rights became fairly mainstream before most of them got their first pube... is it any wonder they invent "otherkin" oppression just to have something to fight for?

ps. For anyone here that understand Swedish, I just have to recommend this song that I happened to hear: [youtube]sK6WHxxWDdc[/youtube]

15 mins of Kjell Höglund, singingly, explaining the mentality behind (modern) witch hunts and witch burning, and just so happen to describe the SJW twitter mob down to the T. Ironically, it's written by a leftist, and originally at least vaguely aimed to the right, commercialism, and against racists and nazis - but now it describes the new left so spot on it's almost scary. Meet the new boss - same as the old one :D

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I have a Polish servant*. She's my girlfriend. And I've now remembered she reads the Pit regularly. I hope she'll make it a quick death, broken neck or something...

*not my servant at all. She's been an angel to me ever since I got injured. I couldn't do anything without her help. Thanks Bob she's also a certified home nurse.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Is the other forum the Pit? Is it me? Is this because I question the holes in claims that are full of them? My first fight with pz's commentors was over Cerberus' insane sexual assault claim in 2010, wherein there were so many holes, giant gaping craters in fact, that it was just too fucking absurd. It's at http://web.archive.org/web/201009142222 ... n_be_s.php since Peazy has deleted all but one comment.
:lol: - Damn, SN, you were a blast in that thread - countering everything Skeptifem said, so much so that she was reduced to speculating if you were really a man, and lobbing such a dismissive turdbomb at ol [Meta] Morales, he flounced off the thread in a huff. Not that he was able to stick it, obviously.

Fucking excellent!
Thanks :) It was a lot of fun. Plus, I finally learned that secret protection code that all women secretly know (my evil mother never taught me, the bitch). You see, if other women at a conference switch tables, you better join them quickly, because it's a woman-only secret signal that mean a man will soon start humping your leg. And they say women's intuition is just a myth! It can predict and prevent sexual crimes according to the claims Cerberus made.
I suspect that if I were to start humping your leg at a conference you would piss yourself laughing before batting the shit out of me SN. Could be wrong there though. If you're ever in the uk, gimme a call and we can try it. :dance:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I thanked Barbara Drescher in person right after the morning session today on day 1 of TAM, for being open online about her views about schism stuff. She said I was the 3rd person to give her that (positive) feedback already at TAM. :)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Skep tickle wrote:I thanked Barbara Drescher in person right after the morning session today on day 1 of TAM, for being open online about her views about schism stuff. She said I was the 3rd person to give her that (positive) feedback already at TAM. :)
Awesome. :D

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Here's Catie Cat on another blog, commenting about Tropes vs Potato Salad:
I had the same thought, good analysis. $1000 would get me through three more months on welfare waiting for disability. This Kickstarter feels like a violent act of entitlement and display of privilege: look how much i could raise for something frivolous! How long before the poster starts shouting "I built that!"?
CC was a regular contributor at Shakesville for a long time. Supposedly she's disabled and walks with the aid of a cane, but she's posted on Shakesville about playing soccer(it might have even been rugby-I don't remember exactly and cannot be bothered to look for it), she's also posted about being fluent in several languages and very in demand as a translator, but also so poor that she's practically living on the street. On the credibility scale I put her slightly above Avicenna.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Skep tickle wrote:I thanked Barbara Drescher in person right after the morning session today on day 1 of TAM, for being open online about her views about schism stuff. She said I was the 3rd person to give her that (positive) feedback already at TAM. :)
Great! I hope you have a lot of fun there. Give pouncetugs to whoever deserves them.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

katamari Damassi wrote:Here's Catie Cat on another blog, commenting about Tropes vs Potato Salad:
I had the same thought, good analysis. $1000 would get me through three more months on welfare waiting for disability. This Kickstarter feels like a violent act of entitlement and display of privilege: look how much i could raise for something frivolous! How long before the poster starts shouting "I built that!"?
CC was a regular contributor at Shakesville for a long time. Supposedly she's disabled and walks with the aid of a cane, but she's posted on Shakesville about playing soccer(it might have even been rugby-I don't remember exactly and cannot be bothered to look for it), she's also posted about being fluent in several languages and very in demand as a translator, but also so poor that she's practically living on the street. On the credibility scale I put her slightly above Avicenna.
I can buy that. I'm also disabled and fluent in at least two languages ("moron" and "asshole", highly in demand these days) and I still have to eat raw sewage out in front of our shoe-box because the smell ruins the elephant tape repairs.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

AndrewV69 wrote:In response to the fertility and replacement level topic re: immigration earlier I am going to drop off the following:

1). The cause of population decline
Nepal is a good example of a very poor third world country with low fertility comparable to that of the advanced west – but its low fertility is a mix of very high fertility women and very low fertility women, which should make it easy to see what causes the difference.

Code: Select all

Schooling                                       Children
No schooling                                    6.67
Islamic Schooling, no Western Schooling         7.78
Western Schooling to ages 7 to 11               4.5
Western Schooling to ages 12 to 13              1.44
Western Schooling to ages 15 to 16              1.57
Western Schooling to age 17 and above           1.50
<snip>
One of the (several) weak parts of PZ's talk in Seattle in 3/2013 was his opining that there are easy ways to address overpopulation in developing countries via "giving women opportunities" (my paraphrase), for which he presented condoms and microfinance as key.

Evidence for the association between education (okay, Western-styled education) of girls and lower fecundity is rich, worldwide, and has been collected (& published) for decades.

Also, while condoms are crucial for reducing spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, they are not the best way to control fecundity - long-acting contraceptives (like IUDs) are far better, for several reasons, including putting control for family planning in the women's hands rather than relying on their partners agreeing to use condoms.

Since this is an area he apparently cares/cared enough about to include in a talk (like with an actual audience), I found it really disappointing that he didn't research it better.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Pagancat wrote:
Southern wrote: __________
quote="Pitchguest" This has to be PZ's stupidest blog post to date.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... breakfast/
We hear all the time from MRAs about how women make false rape accusations to cover their regrets about having sex, but this rings far more true: that they sometimes make new narratives to cover over their regrets about being raped.
What the actual fuck? /quote

Isn't he describing Ogvorbis? "New narratives about rape", that sounds like Ogvorbis.
While it might be the stupidest thing he's ever written look at his audience. The comment section is full of people calling it a powerful story. One person says they have literally got tears in their eyes. Quite frankly PZ could come up with a rape story featuring a dog called spot and these dumb fucks would lap that shit up.
One of the commenters, Storms, posted this, then got told repeatedly how inappropriate it was, he's making it all about himself, etc. He has asked PZ to take the post down:

http://i.imgur.com/V8GwSJa.png?1

How is this all that different from Ogvorbis horning in on Elyse's assault-history thread with his story? (in that case, Ogvorbis was treated tenderly & Elyse flounced)

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I'm largely ignorant of Hindiusm, but of the other major world religions -- Christianity, Buddhism/Zen, Confucianism/Taoism -- which, like Islam, have passages in their holy books expressly decreeing the invasion of infidel lands, the beheading of infidels, and the divvying up of infidel women?
The Old Testament does a good job of that Matt. Here's just a sample http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... eronomy+20.

As for a word for "holy war" well apart from the term itself there is Crusade.

It seems to me that The Mentality of some of the leading Imams are are currently where Christendom was in the late 14th century. Which is why amongst their foreign stupidity they are involved in sectarianism and moves towards reformation. The old guard are shitting themselves at the prospect of modernity making them irrelevant.

Richard Dworkins

AndrewV69 wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Andrew do you believe in God/a god/ some other supernatural weird shit?
Nope. Never have.

I tried really hard to up until my first holy communion and realized I really did not believe any of it. Nothing has changed since then.

From what I can tell natural atheists like myself and Scented Nectar are pretty rare.
I'm not sure that's the case outside of the Americas. I was brought up with no religion, neither my parents nor grandparents were (except my grandmother on my fathers side, but she was I think only a member of the orange lodge because she thought it made her a better Rangers Supporter). Not one of my friends are religious, most are pretty contemptuous of it. the same applies to most of their parents, though I know one chap who's parents are We Frees.

I'm sure there are plenty of Scottish folk who still strongly believe but that number seems to be dwindling every year. Where I live there are 6 old churches, only one of them still functions as a jesus factory and it is almost entirely empty save for a few older folks who turn up on a Sunday. I cannot think of a single person I know well who is or has ever been religious, even my wife's grandparents, who seemed to me very religious both demanded a Humanist Funeral.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimthepleb wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Thanks :) It was a lot of fun. Plus, I finally learned that secret protection code that all women secretly know (my evil mother never taught me, the bitch). You see, if other women at a conference switch tables, you better join them quickly, because it's a woman-only secret signal that mean a man will soon start humping your leg. And they say women's intuition is just a myth! It can predict and prevent sexual crimes according to the claims Cerberus made.
I suspect that if I were to start humping your leg at a conference you would piss yourself laughing before batting the shit out of me SN. Could be wrong there though. If you're ever in the uk, gimme a call and we can try it. :dance:
I'd probably video tape it and upload it to youtube as "Furry Dogkin Leg-rapes Human". :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://barkpost-assets.s3.amazonaws.com ... ifFoot.gif

paddybrown

Re: Bill C36, Canada

Post by paddybrown »

paddybrown wrote:
Steersman wrote:
PLA wrote:Gunilla Ekberg, Co-Executive Director, Coalition Against Trafficking in Women and former Special Advisor to the Swedish Government…has previously said that: “My whole life has been about ending male violence against women”. That Ekberg could [make this] claim…indicates a peculiar zealotry. Her extremist, one-dimensional views are evident from this statement, describing clients of sex workers as sexual predators and rapists: “In prostitution, men use women’s and girls’ bodies, vaginas, anuses, mouths for their sexual pleasures and as vessels of ejaculation, over and over and over again. [...]"
shlick shlick shlick...

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Skeppers:
I thanked Barbara Drescher in person right after the morning session today on day 1 of TAM, for being open online about her views about schism stuff. She said I was the 3rd person to give her that (positive) feedback already at TAM.
Excellent. Good for you (and her). :dance:

Richard Dworkins

Skep tickle wrote: One of the commenters, Storms, posted this, then got told repeatedly how inappropriate it was, he's making it all about himself, etc. He has asked PZ to take the post down:

How is this all that different from Ogvorbis horning in on Elyse's assault-history thread with his story? (in that case, Ogvorbis was treated tenderly & Elyse flounced)
There are a lot of rapists and rape apologisers and accused rapists over at FtB. I'm beginning to think the site is some kind of Christian cybersex roleplaying game.

Pizzle: " You are at a party and a drunk is all over you like a child on a tree. Roll 1d8"
FancyPants: Queen of the Whiners: "Five"
Pizzle: "Oh Bad luck, you're the rapist."
FancyPants: "Oh what? Are you sure?"
Pizzle. "Yeah 1 to four you'd have been raped five to eight your the rapist.!
FancyPants. "What about consensual?"
Pizzle. "You don't have enough of a charisma modifier for that."

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Southern wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Hornbeck has had a spray at the pit at JREF.

Catch the exchange before it gets moderated away.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... st10110147

http://i.imgur.com/8lT8lgs.jpg
That's probably because The Fascist Tit keeps calling Hitler on his bunker:

[youtube]F2hsFZOin7Q[/youtube]

Why would it be wrong to help Radford? The bulk of the evidence indicates that KS is BPD liar who doesn't care who she hurts in her revenge games. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that Radford was engaged in any kind of sexual talk/advances once she was 'off the field' as it were and married to the nebbish, Baxter or whatever the fuck the loser's name is...

OTOH, raising funds for a morally-bankrupt life-destroyer when all this evidence is available seems no better than 'morally ambiguous' if not out-right immoral.

free thoughtpolice

AndrewV69 wrote:
Nope. Never have.

I don't think we're that rare. For me God went out the window about the same time as Santa Claus. I voluntarily attended Sunday School once to find out what it was all about and got kicked out for asking questions that apparently made the teacher uncomfortable.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Hehe... a bit later Hornbeck posted this:
For the moment, let's fully trust Radford. He's presented us with "A list of a dozen or so e-mails provided by Karen as evidence of my harassment in 2012," to quote his website. We'll accept that as gospel. He then proceeds to show that "In seven out of the ten cases, the date that Karen attributed to those e-mails had been changed and was actually two years earlier (in one case three years earlier)." Again, we won't even question it, we'll just take it as truth.

Does this mean that

a) Radford never sent Stollznow any harassing emails in 2012,
b) Radford may be innocent of sending harassing emails in 2012, because some of them had their dates altered by Stollznow,
c) Radford may be guilty of sending harassing emails in 2012, by his own admission, or
d) Radford may be guilty of sending harassing emails in 2009, 2010, and 2012, as it's not necessarily the date that determines whether an email is harassing or not?

Never look where a magician points.
link: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... st10110931

I love how he words the two Radford-friendly options: the first involves proving a negative ("never sent ... any"), and the second downplays the significance of Stollznow's date falsification ("may be innocent," "some of them," passive voice).

He left out:

e) Stollznow's subterfuge ruins her credibility on the topic of Ben Radford, and only an idiot or an ideologue with an ax to grind would believe her accusations against him without some damned convincing corroborating evidence, of which we have none.

Sure, "Radford may be guilty." And HJ Hornbeck may be right about everything always. But the evidence ain't scarce, and it unambiguously points toward "probably not" in each case. If new evidence comes to light, I'll reevaluate my position accordingly. Until then, I won't uncritically accept the thoroughly discredited word of a documented liar and domestic abuser just because the SJL hate the cishet white male she's accused. And I'll remain confident that HJ Hornbeck is, er, sometimes wrong.

Richard Dworkins

Apropos the above JREF thread. I think people who think somehow that "Godwin" is an acceptable retort are worse than the Nazis. Mike Godwin's "law" applies to almost anything, not just Hitler's wacky fans.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Another lulz-worthy post from PeeZus:
After reading this article, I checked our pantry…and sure enough, we’re stocked up on Eden Organics. That’s the last of it, we won’t be buying any more.
Now, like a good left-winger, I’m going to go for a walk to the local farmer’s market and see what fresh produce I can get.
Nothing from Eden Organics in my pantry ... I've known it was a wackypants company since I was a young 'un. They're a raft of macrobiotic loons:

http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view. ... cles_id=66

My dad (a nutritional biochemist) says that you can tell when macrobiotic kids have visited your house, because there are little teethmarks in the butter.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

real horrorshow wrote:
H. Korban wrote:You, you, bad man! You have triggered the following memory: I once was browsing in my university library (when I was a grad student) and came across an old book which was written by some British fellow. It was written before India got its independence. His whole motive was to classify the various Indian groups into how good servants they would make, and for what purpose. So, the Sikhs were classified as being loyal and strong guards, the South Indians as good cooks, etc. It was beautifully illustrated, with paintings of various Indians in various servant clothes. It was very disturbing. Thank Allah I had not heard of twitter then.
So, while India was part of the British Empire, the wealthier classes - who had British servants at home - had Indian servants in India. I'll bet the wealthier Indians had Indian servants too. In fact, unlike the British, almost everyone in India who can be considered middle class or higher on the social scale has servants to this day.

Here's a modern British Asian take on it:

[youtube]iFfyUXYTj2c[/youtube]
Meanwhile in Pakistan
Educationalist and model Fatima (R) uses her mobile phone while her Filipino domestic worker holds her glass of water at her house in Lahore May 28, 2014.
http://i.dawn.com/primary/2014/07/53bd7 ... 1678746213

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ERV wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:And what manner of affectation would lead PZ to wear a lab coat at a scifi conference if he wasn't "playing at being a scientist"

http://i.imgur.com/XUfVEse.jpg
The only people who wear white coats 'out and about' are physicians, and it annoys me. Lab coats dont leave the lab. Ours are actually disposable so they dont even go out for wash.

Its as much about protecting your research from contamination as it is about not contaminating people/things with lab stuff.
I don't think my wife, or anyone else I know, in the Developmental Biology labs at Vanderbilt or Washington University has ever worn a lab coat. I know she doesn't own one and has never owned one. They do have disposable shoe covers they have to wear in the fish facility unless they bring 'dedicated facility shoes' and keep them in changing room. And, of course, they wear disposable gloves to avoid contaminating experiments.

But no lab coats...

It's almost like PZ doesn't know how scientists behave besides what he sees online:

http://www.morriscostumes.com/productim ... dg1151.jpg

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Lsuoma,

I've just binged about 5 days worth of posts and have a hazy memory of you mentioning an email from a relative of Karen Stolznow. Did that really happen, am I word wankered or did I miss a joke from a previous page?

welch

Post by welch »

Tribble wrote:
Southern wrote:

That's probably because The Fascist Tit keeps calling Hitler on his bunker:

[youtube]F2hsFZOin7Q[/youtube]

Why would it be wrong to help Radford? The bulk of the evidence indicates that KS is BPD liar who doesn't care who she hurts in her revenge games. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that Radford was engaged in any kind of sexual talk/advances once she was 'off the field' as it were and married to the nebbish, Baxter or whatever the fuck the loser's name is...

OTOH, raising funds for a morally-bankrupt life-destroyer when all this evidence is available seems no better than 'morally ambiguous' if not out-right immoral.
That's the part I don't get. Even if you aren't that impressed with Radford, and I'm really not, as it stands right now, the data supports his side more than hers. Why wouldn't someone, based on available data, choose to help him? (rationally speaking, not the idiocy the FTB lot calls 'thinking')

welch

Post by welch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Nope. Never have.

I don't think we're that rare. For me God went out the window about the same time as Santa Claus. I voluntarily attended Sunday School once to find out what it was all about and got kicked out for asking questions that apparently made the teacher uncomfortable.
My dad made me stop going to sunday school, as I was scamming them out of corn dogs for finding jesus.

windy

Post by windy »

Skep tickle wrote: One of the commenters, Storms, posted this, then got told repeatedly how inappropriate it was, he's making it all about himself, etc. He has asked PZ to take the post down:

Oh, for crying out loud. I'd like to know if the ex-wife in that story thinks she was raped.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Richard Dworkins wrote:

There are a lot of rapists and rape apologisers and accused rapists over at FtB. I'm beginning to think the site is some kind of Christian cybersex roleplaying game.

Pizzle: " You are at a party and a drunk is all over you like a child on a tree. Roll 1d8"
I get the feeling that they believe everyone used to be like them and did a bit of rape in their youth before seeing the light. It's so funny in that thread to see the word 'RAPE' being thrown back in his stupid fucking i'm-so-sorry-i-was-that-guy face.

Even funnier to see ogvorbis send out pounce tugs (with impunity) to a frat brother :)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:

I get the feeling that they believe everyone used to be like them and did a bit of rape in their youth before seeing the light. It's so funny in that thread to see the word 'RAPE' being thrown back in his stupid fucking i'm-so-sorry-i-was-that-guy face.

Even funnier to see ogvorbis send out pounce tugs (with impunity) to a frat brother :)
It's the Christian Conversion story - once I was a sinner who stole/did drugs/worshipped satan/etc. It scores points and make them seem an even better and superior person for having overcome their shameful past and learned from it. Proper contrition is expected, but it's never serious. Or in some cases, where the idiot actually has fallen for the cult thinking, really does think it is true. I tend to go with the former over the latter for most of the baboons, but who knows?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I'm largely ignorant of Hindiusm, but of the other major world religions -- Christianity, Buddhism/Zen, Confucianism/Taoism -- which, like Islam, have passages in their holy books expressly decreeing the invasion of infidel lands, the beheading of infidels, and the divvying up of infidel women?
The Old Testament does a good job of that Matt. Here's just a sample http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... eronomy+20.

As for a word for "holy war" well apart from the term itself there is Crusade.

It seems to me that The Mentality of some of the leading Imams are are currently where Christendom was in the late 14th century. Which is why amongst their foreign stupidity they are involved in sectarianism and moves towards reformation. The old guard are shitting themselves at the prospect of modernity making them irrelevant.
I don't consider Judaism a major religion, as hardly anyone belongs to it. In any case, Judaism is essentially OCD over germophobia & food poisoning.

Christianity is basically 'I'm god's son; believe in me.' Nor do i recall Jesus ever saying, 'blessed are the crusaders, for they shall get to de flower nine year olds.'

Islam is the Hebrew OCD with the addition of, 'take over the world and kill anyone who doesn't convert.'

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Scented Nectar wrote: Is the other forum the Pit? Is it me? Is this because I question the holes in claims that are full of them? My first fight with pz's commentors was over Cerberus' insane sexual assault claim in 2010, wherein there were so many holes, giant gaping craters in fact, that it was just too fucking absurd. It's at http://web.archive.org/web/201009142222 ... n_be_s.php since Peazy has deleted all but one comment.
This person really got it:
Posted by: dahduh Author Profile Page | August 1, 2010 6:55 AM

Anybody ever heard of crackergate?

This college professor takes a communion wafer and throws it in the trash. "What's the harm?" he asks - "it's just a frick'n cracker!" But the likes of Bill Donahue hysterically disagree. "The cracker is the flesh of Christ," they say. "You disrespect God, and you're a blasphemer!" And then proceed demand special protections, and laws against blasphemy.

The point is, the 'harm' was all in the mind. Our argument is that just because someone has some silly superstition about a cracker, this does not imply everyone else must respect them.

So let's look at 'nipplegate'. A young woman is manipulated by GGW into a state of 'diminished capacity and judgment', fondles her own boobs, plays up to a camera, and _almost_ pulls down her own top. Then another woman reaches out and helps it along a little. Everybody laughs and carries on with the partying. Fast forward a couple of years: this youthful indiscretion comes to light, the woman feels her reputation is shot, and she sues GGW for $5M.

So what's the harm? It's just a frick'n nipple! Only here's the funny thing: _this_ time, the college professor is the hysterical one, calling it 'assault' and labelling anyone who disagrees a D-I-C-K in capitals. And a lot of the posters here are using the same kind of debate-defeating language one rather expects to find in the Donahue crowd; name-calling, "No, I won't look at the evidence", "Take it somewhere else", and applying extreme labels like 'rapist' to anyone deviating from orthodoxy.

Now as far as I am concerned, being a woman and getting drunk at a GGW party and having your top pulled down should not disqualify you from being considered a perfectly respectable person; someone who might make a very fine supreme court justice, for example. But society, PZ, and many of the eager flesh shredders here, seem to disagree. They seem to think that yes indeed, this woman's career is ruined, and if _she_ is not to 'blame' for it - and she isn't! - then someone else, like GGW, must pay for it. And this appears to be - dare I say 'implied' - endorsement of an arcane and regressive prejudice, that a young woman's reputation is a fragile thing indelibly blemished by a flashed nipple at a drunken party. And if _you_ all think so, then... well, it is, but that's _your_ doing, not hers. If _you_ make it a 'big deal', as one poster puts it, then it _is_ a big deal.

I don't fault this woman for her youthful indiscretion; I fault those who imply it is even important, and should have any bearing whatsoever on her worth and reputation. And filing a $5M suit is simply fuelling and justifying society's prurient and hypocritical attitude towards women and sex. PZ, I think you've played right into the moralists' hands.

Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of the gay pride playbook: loud and proud, and don't let others judge you in terms of their own twisted morality. This woman has nothing to be ashamed of, and she shouldn't have to feel obliged to defend her reputation in court.

It's just a frick'n nipple!
And that person made some more excellent posts by using the Crackergate analogy. All of which went right over the heads of the True Believers.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Skep tickle wrote:
Pagancat wrote:
Southern wrote: __________
quote="Pitchguest" This has to be PZ's stupidest blog post to date.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... breakfast/

"We hear all the time from MRAs about how women make false rape accusations to cover their regrets about having sex, but this rings far more true: that they sometimes make new narratives to cover over their regrets about being raped."

What the actual fuck? /quote

Isn't he describing Ogvorbis? "New narratives about rape", that sounds like Ogvorbis.
While it might be the stupidest thing he's ever written look at his audience. The comment section is full of people calling it a powerful story. One person says they have literally got tears in their eyes. Quite frankly PZ could come up with a rape story featuring a dog called spot and these dumb fucks would lap that shit up.
One of the commenters, Storms, posted this, then got told repeatedly how inappropriate it was, he's making it all about himself, etc. He has asked PZ to take the post down:

I didn't think there was someone who could fellate more than Ogvorbis, but this Storms guy is giving him a good run for his money.

It seems they're both suffering from melodram patheticism, the limp drips of old chicken piss.

And yes, it's hilarious how this guy is being hung from the rafters while Oggie gets a free pass. Ingroup/outgroup at its finest.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

This very subject has just cropped up on their 'Thunderdome', with Oggy himself presenting the dilemma. So far, the reasons as to why the 'horde' thinks Oggy's case is different is a: he was a kid himself b: he was a rape survivor himself, and Storms presumably isn't, and most bizarrely of all c: that Oggy posted his confession in the appropriate thread. I mean - wut?

There's also been some concern there as to what the Pit might make of this. Reminds me of a certain religious institution which makes big bones of ensuring the reputation of the church doesn't get sullied by all the paedos in it. :lol:

Anyways, the convo begins here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-819883

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Depends on what you call illegal immigrant, paleface.
Now that made me laugh.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

How fucking stupid are these people?

Tony! The Squeaky Fudgestop, in responding to Oggie's question about why Oggie is different from Storm says (http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-819888):
For me, the difference (and it’s significant) is that you didn’t share your story in a thread specifically about a woman trying to cope with her rape.
Well, there you go Elyse: Erased from history altogether. You do not exist and you never did.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

John Greg wrote:How fucking stupid are these people?

Tony! The Squeaky Fudgestop, in responding to Oggie's question about why Oggie is different from Storm says (http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-819888):
For me, the difference (and it’s significant) is that you didn’t share your story in a thread specifically about a woman trying to cope with her rape.
Well, there you go Elyse: Erased from history altogether. You do not exist and you never did.
Tony The Queer Shop is such a simpering, whimpering, whinnying great ninny, the following is actual documentary evidence of his reaction when he got a red card in a footy match:

[youtube]-4R6UfWt0Og[/youtube]

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

John Greg wrote:How fucking stupid are these people?

Ninja'ed by Tigzy, but yeah, couldn't have said it better myself. Elyse, consider your resignation finalised.

(Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha)

Ahem. Carry on.

free thoughtpolice

A conversation about culture over at Kaveh Mousavi's fine blog:
Ophelia Benson

July 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm (UTC 0)

All cultures should be open to criticism, and evaluated on their merits.

On the other hand I don’t think Twitter is the best medium for that! Even if Dawkins did have a point, a tweet was an absurd way to make it.

Kaveh Mousavi

July 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm (UTC 0)

True, I was using Dawkins as an example only. My main point was that I think culture is the real villain.
Kaveh Mousavi

July 10, 2014 at 12:22 pm (UTC 0)

And more importantly, people’s reasoning against his comment which alarmed me.
abear

July 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm (UTC 0)

Dawkins should stop using twitter. It makes him sound transphobic even when he’s not.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

free thoughtpolice wrote:A conversation about culture over at Kaveh Mousavi's fine blog:
Ophelia Benson

July 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm (UTC 0)

All cultures should be open to criticism, and evaluated on their merits.

On the other hand I don’t think Twitter is the best medium for that! Even if Dawkins did have a point, a tweet was an absurd way to make it.

Kaveh Mousavi

July 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm (UTC 0)

True, I was using Dawkins as an example only. My main point was that I think culture is the real villain.
Kaveh Mousavi

July 10, 2014 at 12:22 pm (UTC 0)

And more importantly, people’s reasoning against his comment which alarmed me.
abear

July 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm (UTC 0)

Dawkins should stop using twitter. It makes him sound transphobic even when he’s not.
:lol:

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

HJ Hornfuck on the JREF forum:

For the moment, let's fully trust Radford. He's presented us with "A list of a dozen or so e-mails provided by Karen as evidence of my harassment in 2012," to quote his website. We'll accept that as gospel. He then proceeds to show that "In seven out of the ten cases, the date that Karen attributed to those e-mails had been changed and was actually two years earlier (in one case three years earlier)."
Why does Horndog refer to Radford as "he"?

I thought that humans didn't have sexes?

Richard Dworkins

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I don't consider Judaism a major religion, as hardly anyone belongs to it. In any case, Judaism is essentially OCD over germophobia & food poisoning.
Well there is a few reasons that it's not quite as "major" as it once was. Mostly because of a history of being murdered, mostly by Christians. Still if you look at the link I pointed to and read the O.T. it is full of god saying they can kill, rape and commit genocide. Which answers your question.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Christianity is basically 'I'm god's son; believe in me.' Nor do i recall Jesus ever saying, 'blessed are the crusaders, for they shall get to de flower nine year olds.'
Sure all that stuff is covered in book one. Though not totally reiterated in the four gospels is pretty quickly taken up by Crazy Paul.
[/quote]

Islam is the Hebrew OCD with the addition of, 'take over the world and kill anyone who doesn't convert.'[/quote]

Yeah exactly like Christendom did for about a thousand years, only they actually went and did it. They wiped out most of the christian faiths that didn't jibe with their narrative, they destroyed most of the pagan religious practices across Europe. It took a few wars against the Holy Romans and a long reformation before it stopped most of it's excesses. The same is what we are seeing now. Muslims are more intent in blowing up muslims than anyone else, most of the rest of it is for recruitment propaganda.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ape+lust wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:And what manner of affectation would lead PZ to wear a lab coat at a scifi conference if he wasn't "playing at being a scientist"

http://i.imgur.com/XUfVEse.jpg
http://imgur.com/Yz3sLTX.jpg

Well that was tough, and eventually involved using a zucchini, four pints of olive oil and a baby goat, but I did eventually manage to ejaculate to that image.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Southern wrote:Mineirão Stadium will be renamed to Auschwitz II.
There's already an Auschwitz II, it's called Birkenau.

windy

Post by windy »

Scented Nectar wrote: My first fight with pz's commentors was over Cerberus' insane sexual assault claim in 2010, wherein there were so many holes, giant gaping craters in fact, that it was just too fucking absurd. It's at http://web.archive.org/web/201009142222 ... n_be_s.php since Peazy has deleted all but one comment.
Apropos of that thread: anyone know what became of MsAnnThorpe?