Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Dick Strawkins

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Old_ones wrote:
Damn. That's an amazing story. Sorry to hear that this is going to have long term repercussions on your activities, but I'm glad that you aren't dead or quadriplegic.
According to the docs, C2 means death, although there's a rather small chance of getting away with mere quadriplegia. C2 is so close to the stem that any severe enough injury to the nerves and marrow at this location will prevent my respiratory muscles from performing, leaving me with a rather bad case of death. Hence the RoboBrace until the vertebrae are solidly fused together, and even then there will still be medium-to-high risks if I partake in "strong" activities. Plus side: no chores for a while!
Remember Phil, although you may have to give up trampolining in future, that does have it's ups and downs.

(Yes, we're on to the dodgy puns)

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Opyt wrote:
another lurker wrote:It was not a problem when I first signed up, but over time it has gotten worse. And yeah, my fault for choosing a generic name, which is why I've wanted to change it for the last few months, but could never think of a good replacement. And now, suddenly, nym changing = drama. Sigh.
Kind of sucks, but neither of us is privy to the inner workings of FT's mind, or inbox, beyond what we may send to him, for that matter. Give it time.
I understand his reasoning. My motives are to end confusion rather than create more.I just have bad timing!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

another lurker wrote:
Opyt wrote:
another lurker wrote:It was not a problem when I first signed up, but over time it has gotten worse. And yeah, my fault for choosing a generic name, which is why I've wanted to change it for the last few months, but could never think of a good replacement. And now, suddenly, nym changing = drama. Sigh.
Kind of sucks, but neither of us is privy to the inner workings of FT's mind, or inbox, beyond what we may send to him, for that matter. Give it time.
I understand his reasoning. My motives are to end confusion rather than create more.I just have bad timing!
I suggest you just choose a very recognizable avatar - that's how I recognize half the people here.

Beta Neckbeard

Post by Beta Neckbeard »

Dick Strawkins wrote:(Yes, we're on to the dodgy puns)
Slymepit is scraping the humour barrel today. Hopefully we'll bounce back soon.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I had the same avatar for the first year and people would quote RandomLurker and then address me in the body of the text. RL is a good poster, and I don't like taking credit for great contributions that are not mine. And then I have to correct people:" that other lurker is the smart one, I'm a fucktard, don't credit me"

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

another lurker wrote:
Well, my reasoning comes down to this: With my current 'nym, I'm too hard to identify. We have SomeLurker, RandomLurker, LurkerPerson, and me, Another Lurker. (How ironic THAT turned out to be.)
...Snip...
I can start using the nym Some Asshole if you'd like.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Some Lurker wrote:
another lurker wrote:
Well, my reasoning comes down to this: With my current 'nym, I'm too hard to identify. We have SomeLurker, RandomLurker, LurkerPerson, and me, Another Lurker. (How ironic THAT turned out to be.)
...Snip...
Oh dear, it would be even more confusing! "What some asshole said." "which one?"

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Some Lurker wrote:
another lurker wrote:
...Snip...
Oh dear, it would be even more confusing! "What some asshole said." "which one?"
Lulz

I've been known to start some posts off with "some asshole..."

Perhaps all the lurkers should just switch to asshole nyms?

Another asshole
Random asshole
Some asshole
Asshole person

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

another lurker wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Some Lurker wrote:I can start using the nym Some Asshole if you'd like.
Lulz

Another asshole
Random asshole
Some asshole
Asshole person
If we all logged out, we could use "Mykeru" as our nym, and really fuck with poor OB's head. He's multiplying! Mykeru is synonymous with "Asshole" ... right?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Opyt wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:So corporations now have the freedom to impose their sincere, deeply-held religious beliefs on their employees in the US, but only if they belong to a mainstream American Christian sect, like Baptists or Catholics.

This is such a comical ruling.
As opposed to the employees having the freedom to impose THEIR sincere, held OPINIONS, on their employers.

Neither one is particularly "right" if you look at it like that.
Yes, exactly.

The employer is the one being made to pay.

The employees say "we want the bosses to pay for our contraception."

The bosses say "we don't want to."

Both sides feel sincere about their desires. Both sides could cite religion.

Boy, I can only hope and dream of us oppressive menz someday being in a situation where "will my boss pay for my contraception" is the biggest of our issues regarding the freedom to have consequence-free sex. The only choices for men now are foreveralone.jpg, wearing a rubber (which might fail) or having an irreversible surgical procedure. IIRC, the Pick-Up Artists advocate both condoms and pulling out, which is an excellent way to combine two methods proven to fail every so often. 8-)
Dick Strawkins wrote:
I've tried to think of a scenario regarding unwanted childcare that would affect women in the same way as it affects men and I can't think of any that currently exist.
I can't either. If there really was a situation where it was the same, such as a woman's consent to motherhood being automatic upon the female's consensual participation in sex, you can just imagine how many woman AND men would cry foul and get that law changed immediately.

Consent to sex is not consent to parenthood. I find most people's hypocrisy on this issue absolutely infuriating. Nobody on this board would suggest that a woman who accidentally got knocked up consented to be a mother when she had sex. But I think many people of all persuasions political would say that a man who had sex with a woman consented to be a father when he had sex. Ugh. I've encountered this sentiment (that men consent to fatherhood and the financial liability of fatherhood every time they have sex) from conservatives, liberals, libertarians, christians, atheists, feminists of ALL stripes (so much for gender equality, but I guess the money has to come from somewhere!) and everyone in-between. :snooty: YOU'RE NOT A REAL MAAAAN! :naughty:

[youtube]bdzo9vZKrNA[/youtube]

Funny how the feminists never oppose gender bias which favors them. Reproductive rights is a women's issue and is always framed as a women's issue because only women have reproductive rights in America.

The simplest fix to this whole problem (imo) would be to allow men to renounce parental rights without the woman's consent. Currently, all decisions a man makes about being or not being a father are at the discretion of the woman. This parental release form would be signed by the man and witnessed by the court. The man would lose his parental privileges over the child, but would no longer be financially liable to provide money to this child. A "financial abortion."

Also, paternity testing should be available on-demand to EITHER parent and the results should be admissible in court as evidence for either side. This would prevent a woman who falsely accuses a man of being the father from forcing the court to throw out paternity results, which women currently do. No man should ever have to pay, I think we can all agree, for a child which is not his.

The next step would be development of a male pill, but I leave that to the scientists. Oh, and then there's the raep culture. :snooty:

[youtube]llWI6mMxzo0[/youtube]
[youtube]_iKggPN-g1U[/youtube]

When all that was finished, we horrible oppressive menz could be said to have approximately as many rights as you oppressed women who are valiantly fighting this noble battle to force employers to pay for your contraception.

This has been "What About Teh MenZ" part 2, thanks for your time.

windy

Post by windy »

KenD wrote:
There was a protest outside the Prison of Love party on Saturday at the Kink.com Armory, with about 150 protesters who—though mostly peaceful—pelted guards and early partygoers with fruits and vegetables around 10 p.m.
There was a time when I'd have assumed it was God Hates Fags type Christians, but as soon as I saw someone tweet about a violent protest spoiling the fun at this weekend's SF Pride, I knew it was going to be down to shit-stirring SJWs getting butthurt about something.
Wow. This was the original "Open letter" complaining about the party:

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51040/p/d ... _KEY=14295
We’re calling on you to immediately change the theme of your party, and not use themes of arrest and incarceration, correctional officers beating inmates, solitary confinement, prison yards, or suggestions of prison rape in promoting your event.

As a step towards accountability and redress we’re also calling on you to donate a portion of the proceeds of your party to the Transgender Gender Variant Intersex Justice Project, El/La Para TransLatinas, and Communities United Against Violence, all organizations that are dedicated to ending police, prison, and systemic violence against trans and queer people in the Bay Area and beyond.
Demanding a change in the theme and donations for their own organisations? They have some giant trans-balls, if nothing else.

The CEO of Kink.com made a conciliatory response:
Having said that, the extent to which some groups find this theme offensive because the party is happening during the San Francisco Pride weekend has given me cause to reflect. I realize that Pride is both a celebration of LGBTQ identities and historically a time when serious issues that affect queer communities are highlighted. Had I thought that a prison fantasy party would detract from the very serious issue of the prison industrial complex in this country, I would have insisted on another theme. With the party just over two weeks away, it is not possible for us to change the theme, as we are contractually bound to WE, whose show we purchased and cannot change. Quite literally, the costumes, decor, backdrops etc, are already allocated and en route to The Armory.

We can, however, revamp the website and marketing materials to minimize the emphasis on prison language, to highlight the camp and fantasy aspects of this event and to raise awareness of the real life incarceration issues that we all find so troubling. As a 33% owner in the event, I am able to sway the course of the event to an extent, and I promise to do all I can so that Pride participants can both celebrate their sexual identities and make strides toward fighting the real life issues faced by LGBTQ people worldwide.
In the comments, some random dude complains that the party wasn't cancelled outright:
While your apology seems sincere, and I, personally, honor and appreciate it, I fail to see how cancelling the party would present anything more than a minor inconvenience given the size and scope of your company. Parties get cancelled all the time, and I have seen events get cancelled for reasons ranging from bereavement to inclement weather. People grumble, but they move on…there is no shortage of parties this weekend. If this party goes on as planned, it will be a permanent stain on the reputation of the Armory and Kink.com which few San Franciscans will forget. If you cancel it, however, it will send a powerful message to other people with your level of influence, and have a profound impact on SF’s Queer community, which will also not be forgotten.
I am confident that people’s disappointment over a cancellation will pale in comparison to the injury this event will cause to the community if it takes place tonight.
Respectfully,
Hasan-Can Arat
I don't know if the original "open letter" authors even bothered to respond to the CEO. Shows once again, it's no use trying to reason with or apologise to these idiots.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

the Pick-Up Artists advocate both condoms and pulling out, which is an excellent way to combine two methods proven to fail every so often
in the words of Billy Connolly "At the point of ejaculation, a team of wild horses could not make my arse move in that direction"

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Jeez James.
You're on a regular 6oodfella rant today. Although he does seem to cover a lot of these topics as a single dad.

Next you'll be pointing us at Sargon of Akkad; though he gets shouty when he gets angry.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

windy wrote:

Also signed by the National Lawyers Guild. Once accused of being a communist front or terrorist supporters it has now tailspinned into complete and utter fuckwittery. The American far left has officially gone from "dangerous" to "hilarious".

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

windy wrote:
KenD wrote:
There was a protest outside the Prison of Love party on Saturday at the Kink.com Armory, with about 150 protesters who—though mostly peaceful—pelted guards and early partygoers with fruits and vegetables around 10 p.m.
There was a time when I'd have assumed it was God Hates Fags type Christians, but as soon as I saw someone tweet about a violent protest spoiling the fun at this weekend's SF Pride, I knew it was going to be down to shit-stirring SJWs getting butthurt about something.

We’re calling on you to immediately change the theme of your party, and not use themes of arrest and incarceration, correctional officers beating inmates, solitary confinement, prison yards, or suggestions of prison rape in promoting your event.

As a step towards accountability and redress we’re also calling on you to donate a portion of the proceeds of your party to the Transgender Gender Variant Intersex Justice Project, El/La Para TransLatinas, and Communities United Against Violence, all organizations that are dedicated to ending police, prison, and systemic violence against trans and queer people in the Bay Area and beyond.
Demanding a change in the theme and donations for their own organisations? They have some giant trans-balls, if nothing else.

The CEO of Kink.com made a conciliatory response:
Having said that, the extent to which some groups find this theme offensive because the party is happening during the San Francisco Pride weekend has given me cause to reflect. I realize that Pride is both a celebration of LGBTQ identities and historically a time when serious issues that affect queer communities are highlighted. Had I thought that a prison fantasy party would detract from the very serious issue of the prison industrial complex in this country, I would have insisted on another theme. With the party just over two weeks away, it is not possible for us to change the theme, as we are contractually bound to WE, whose show we purchased and cannot change. Quite literally, the costumes, decor, backdrops etc, are already allocated and en route to The Armory.

We can, however, revamp the website and marketing materials to minimize the emphasis on prison language, to highlight the camp and fantasy aspects of this event and to raise awareness of the real life incarceration issues that we all find so troubling. As a 33% owner in the event, I am able to sway the course of the event to an extent, and I promise to do all I can so that Pride participants can both celebrate their sexual identities and make strides toward fighting the real life issues faced by LGBTQ people worldwide.
In the comments, some random dude complains that the party wasn't cancelled outright:
While your apology seems sincere, and I, personally, honor and appreciate it, I fail to see how cancelling the party would present anything more than a minor inconvenience given the size and scope of your company. Parties get cancelled all the time, and I have seen events get cancelled for reasons ranging from bereavement to inclement weather. People grumble, but they move on…there is no shortage of parties this weekend. If this party goes on as planned, it will be a permanent stain on the reputation of the Armory and Kink.com which few San Franciscans will forget. If you cancel it, however, it will send a powerful message to other people with your level of influence, and have a profound impact on SF’s Queer community, which will also not be forgotten.
I am confident that people’s disappointment over a cancellation will pale in comparison to the injury this event will cause to the community if it takes place tonight.
Respectfully,
Hasan-Can Arat
I don't know if the original "open letter" authors even bothered to respond to the CEO. Shows once again, it's no use trying to reason with or apologise to these idiots.
Once again I contend that apologising to these morons concedes the point that there is something to apologise for. It only vindicates their position. My view is simple. Fuck off. If you don't like the theme don't turn up. If enough people agree with your position then it will be a poorly attended event and will fail. I was invited to a pirate themed party. I hate pirates and everything to do with them, I've had a bullet hole appear in a window 1 inch from my head courtesy of a pirate. Being a grown up however I explained to the organiser that I would not be attending due to these reasons. She was understanding and accepted my decision. Problem solved and from what I've heard the party was a success. Maybe I should have gone full SJW and cried like a baby about my hurt feelings. Maybe not. Anyway. When will SJWs learn that not everything in the world is a political statement. Not everything has to fit into their agenda. When will they learn to just enjoy life.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I didn't pass out or show any neurological symptoms right after the accident, it just felt like a neck strain after a bad sleep night. I continued the day as usual with a towel wrapped around my neck. We played pétanque, had lunch... week end stuff. I returned home on Sunday evening by car with a friend and went to sleep straight away, not really worried about it.
I bet you were neckered. Eh? Eh? ;)

Seriously, though, fucking hell, mate. That's rough. Hope they gave you the strong stuff. And I hope this doesn't affect your band.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Konrad_Cruze wrote:When will they learn to just enjoy life.
They ARE enjoying their life. For them, this thrill of being a vocal douchebag is worth more than anything else. Rage boners and lady boners abound when the outrage is high for this crowd.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Pitchguest wrote:

Seriously, though, fucking hell, mate. That's rough. Hope they gave you the strong stuff. And I hope this doesn't affect your band.
There will be some consequent delay with the new album, as I won't be able to do any serious studio work in my condition (recording choirs is out of the question until at least October, for example). I'll just compose in the mean time.

They didn't give me any prescription for strong painkillers, so I'm going with paracetamol. The pain is not that bad, again just like a strain. The most painful are muscle pains due to the neckbrace, and the place where they took the bone fragment for the graft. Ali noticed this morning I have a huge hematoma starting from the scar and running down my back, probably some residual blood flowing down while I sleep. I'll have it checked tomorrow when the nurse comes.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

In other news, I'm charged with the little one for another week. Tonight she woke up crying, tears in her eyes, her lower lip trembling. I picked her up to comfort her and she rested her head on my shoulder. So cute! I gave her some formula and she gripped my hand hard. I think she must have had a nightmare or something. She fell asleep again pretty fast after that.

It's not as difficult taking care of a baby as I thought it would be, but it does make you cherish sleeping more. I only had four hours of sleep today but I'm not bitter. I only got two yesterday. Progress!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

There will be some consequent delay with the new album, as I won't be able to do any serious studio work in my condition (recording choirs is out of the question until at least October, for example). I'll just compose in the mean time.

They didn't give me any prescription for strong painkillers, so I'm going with paracetamol. The pain is not that bad, again just like a strain. The most painful are muscle pains due to the neckbrace, and the place where they took the bone fragment for the graft. Ali noticed this morning I have a huge hematoma starting from the scar and running down my back, probably some residual blood flowing down while I sleep. I'll have it checked tomorrow when the nurse comes.
When I had strong kidney stone pain (it's only been a little over a month now), I got suppositories at first to use in conjunction with paracetamol. But eventually I stopped because they almost always they gave me diarrhea and did more harm than good, I felt. So I was given something even stronger than the paracetamol: oxycodone. Now we're talking strong stuff, the strongest they had in pill form according to clerk at the pharmacy.

You won't need this since you're still in the hospital and they can just give you something better for the pain intravenously (I assume you have a needle where they can inject?) if it gets worse, like morphine (apparently what I got for the kidney stone pain was something called ketobemidone [or ketogan as it's dubbed here in Sweden] which has double the effect of morphine and is primarily only used in Scandinavia), but when you're out of the danger zone (so to speak) and you're not in the hospital anymore, I recommend you ask for this as a referral. It numbs you completely. But it also makes you dizzy as hell, as I found out. Anyway. Hang in there.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I've been discharged from the hospital yesterday, so it's paracetamol now, and it's quite enough. BTW, I've had a huge ping of sympathy for you kidney stones sufferers. After surgery, I was unable to take a piss, so they used a probe via my urethra to unblock the whole stuff. I have to admit, THAT was the most painful experience I've had at the hospital.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
They ARE enjoying their life. For them, this thrill of being a vocal douchebag is worth more than anything else. Rage boners and lady boners abound when the outrage is high for this crowd.
Yep. Big endorphin rush.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I've been discharged from the hospital yesterday, so it's paracetamol now, and it's quite enough. BTW, I've had a huge ping of sympathy for you kidney stones sufferers. After surgery, I was unable to take a piss, so they used a probe via my urethra to unblock the whole stuff. I have to admit, THAT was the most painful experience I've had at the hospital.
My personal favorite experience with medical personnel was when they wound up calling back half of the battalion they gave the smallpox vaccine to. Injected it straight into the bloodstream. Wasted the vaccine, the time spent injecting ~350-400 people, and caused people to be stuck in the other arm.

Admittedly not as bad as the "Let's inject peoples' asses with penicillin" leading into BCT. "Don't jump, or we'll have to replace the needle and do it again" *JAB* :clap: Many a cold needle was lost to warm ass cheeks that day.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I've been discharged from the hospital yesterday, so it's paracetamol now, and it's quite enough. BTW, I've had a huge ping of sympathy for you kidney stones sufferers. After surgery, I was unable to take a piss, so they used a probe via my urethra to unblock the whole stuff. I have to admit, THAT was the most painful experience I've had at the hospital.
Oh. Well. There you go.

Yeah, I had the whole probe via the urethra deal, too. They had inserted a catheter to make it easier for me to pee after the operation if the tiny stone matter that was still left in my urinary tract after they'd shot it full of laser would cause problems, but ironically it was the catheter that had caused me the most pain after I'd been forced to have it for three weeks.

And when they removed it, they used a probe via the urethra - which they said would be painless since they'd injected a gel through the glans that would act as an anaesthetic.

They fucking lied. Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch OUCH is all I could say about that experience. Ruthless bastards.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

No problem with needles, thanks to... House M.D. In the show, the more "humane" characters warn their patients before jabbing with "just a slight pinch". Put your mind to it, and it actually just feels like a small pinch, plus it erases the psychological block of having some foreign metal bit stuck in your skin. Works for me, at least.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:No problem with needles, thanks to... House M.D. In the show, the more "humane" characters warn their patients before jabbing with "just a slight pinch". Put your mind to it, and it actually just feels like a small pinch, plus it erases the psychological block of having some foreign metal bit stuck in your skin. Works for me, at least.
Needles never bothered me, not even as a little kid. I didn't like getting shots, but never cared about the actual needle. Now that I'm older, I'm one of those oddballs who will watch them insert it when having blood drawn.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Phil:
The problem wasn't the needles, it was the medics :lol: They actually had a habit of leaving the needle in, citing that "If you hadn't jumped, it wouldn't have broken off, would it?" in the case of Pre-BCT. I might have the wrong vaccine in regards to smallpox though, or they could have done it again the next year with the TB test injection.

didymos:
I can understand needles not being bothersome. It drove some people nuts that I'd watch them give me the vaccine, or watch the blood come out into the tube. It was more of a mesmerized thing with watching blood enter the tube though.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Skep tickle wrote: PZ has a post up, "Poemsplaining mansplaining", that links to the above tweet. His post says, in its entirety:
Maybe this will get through. It’s quite nice.
He Tells Her

He tells her that the Earth is flat,

He knows the facts, and that is that.

In altercations fierce and long

She tries her best to prove him wrong.

But he has learned to argue well,

He calls her arguments unsound

And often asks her not to yell.

She cannot win. He stands his ground.

The planet goes on being round.

-Wendy Cope
II

He said that the world was round not flat
she wasn't listening, the stupid twat.

For the fifteenth time, he tried to explain
she'd gotten the wrong end of the stick again,

then came the shouting insults and tears
So the poor sod went out for some beers.

Somehow the bint got the notion
that reason is outweighed by emotion.

And we'll all serve our place in hell
for indulging in such doggerel.

Richard Dworkins

As for the birth control debate, does demanding that others pay for ones contraception not imply a massive lack of responsibility on the individual?

In saying that, I believe all forms of contraception should be free. Anything that assists in stopping people from having unwanted children, treating them like shit and creating another damaged individual that the rest of society has to deal with.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Richard Dworkins wrote:As for the birth control debate, does demanding that others pay for ones contraception not imply a massive lack of responsibility on the individual?

In saying that, I believe all forms of contraception should be free. Anything that assists in stopping people from having unwanted children, treating them like shit and creating another damaged individual that the rest of society has to deal with.

In my view birth control is not a medical problem and no one should be forced to pay for you to have sex. As to it being free. No. Idealistically yes but no company would ever agree to that on the grounds that no company would ever willingly make a loss. It cost money to produce and therefore it should cost money to use. People should (they wont) take responsibility for their actions.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Opyt wrote:
My personal favorite experience with medical personnel was when they wound up calling back half of the battalion they gave the smallpox vaccine to. Injected it straight into the bloodstream. Wasted the vaccine, the time spent injecting ~350-400 people, and caused people to be stuck in the other arm.

Admittedly not as bad as the "Let's inject peoples' asses with penicillin" leading into BCT. "Don't jump, or we'll have to replace the needle and do it again" *JAB* :clap: Many a cold needle was lost to warm ass cheeks that day.
Have you read the history on how they used to do it before the vaccine? They had to make small scratches on the patient and physically rub pustules infected with smallpox onto the patient's skin. *shudder*

But it had a surprisingly low death rate (less than 10 people died) and it was very effective (as you would expect, being the precursor to proper vaccination). Brought to the West, interestingly enough, by a woman. Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah. Infected pustules on the skin. *brr*

Richard Dworkins

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:As for the birth control debate, does demanding that others pay for ones contraception not imply a massive lack of responsibility on the individual?

In my view birth control is not a medical problem and no one should be forced to pay for you to have sex. As to it being free. No. Idealistically yes but no company would ever agree to that on the grounds that no company would ever willingly make a loss. It cost money to produce and therefore it should cost money to use. People should (they wont) take responsibility for their actions.
Well okay, I meant free as in paid for by the state. You are correct people do not take responsibility for their actions, which is exactly my point. I think it more cost effective to allow free contraception that to have a slew of unwanted, neglected, abused and abandoned children. Children who are wanted, loved and cherished are a massive drain on the public purse, unwanted children are often much more so. So encouraging free contraception would be a net benefit to the state.

Mind you, so would mandatory sterilisation.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Yes, that was back when you could grab your gardener's son and experiment on him.

Ahh, those were the days....

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
To me they look like a bunch of adolescents railing against the system simple because its the system. Most people go through a stage like this, its called being a teenager. The problem lies with the fact that most teenagers grow out of this phase. We are currently looking at a group of middle age morons with families with opinions equivalent to that of a 16 year old but have a platform to voice these views and pull more people into their bullshit. I am fed up of seeing people back down to them. This only validates their views and makes them think they acually have a valid point and are making a difference. My solution to these bastards is simple.
Spartan_shield_wall_300.jpg
(156.44 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Hold our ground.

Easy for me to say I'm not trying to run a business. I'm not having my profits threatened by these leaches. So these businesses may make a tactical retreat and with good cause but for me No Retreat, No Surrender.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ReneeHendricks wrote:And for the record, not only do I have a problem with condoms but I am one of those women who tend to get pregnant while on birth control pills. So, for the men who side on the whole "meh" bit, fuck you and may you reap what you sow :)

I've warned my daughters about that when they hit 16 and started dating. Just because they're on the pill doesn't mean you can't end up pregnant. Even if you're very conscientious and regular in taking them. Also, the pills do nothing for STDs.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Really? wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Damn it. I really shouldn't post or reply when I've had a drink or two. But seriously. I (perhaps stupidly) thought that most of the men on here were a bit more evolved than that. Sigh.
Well, if it makes you feel better, I am 100% cool with birth control. As I pointed out, it's MEDICINE that is used to treat OTHER CONDITIONS. I don't know how grownups missed this information.
We put the youngest on BC at 13 because she had really terrible periods. Even on birth control, she's fairly heavy and still cramps a bit. But before BC, she was totally fucked 3 of the 28 days of her cycle.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Here are two writers take on the same story.
Ben Sullivan is (or was) the President of the Oxford Student Union and just last week he was cleared of charges of rape after it was revealed that one of his accusers had knowingly lied about the allegation.

Here is is reported in the crime section of the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... false.html

And here it's reported in the 'Women's Life' section of the same paper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... white.html

From the first report it is very clear that this was simply a drunken fling at a party - and she stayed quiet about the nature of it because it involved her cheating on her boyfriend of the time and she didn't want to be labeled a cheat.

The second report tries to imply that she didn't explicitly state she consented to sex and anyway if she did, she was drinking, so it doesn't count.
“People don’t seem to understand the legal issues around consent,” a spokeswoman for Rape Crisis – the UKs largest rape charity – tells me.

“Just because someone seems to say ‘yes’, it doesn’t mean they’ve consented. They might have reduced capacity, thanks to alcohol, drugs, learning disabilities – or even being asleep.

“We understand it clearly when it comes to drink driving; that someone has willingly got behind the wheel, but isn’t in a fit state to consent to drive. We see that they don’t understand the consequences. But we struggle to apply the same concept to rape.”
Yes, we struggle with that concept for the reason that everyone knows that a relatively small amount of alcohol will impair your motor function, spatial awareness and hand eye coordination and this will result a far less safe condition if you attempt to drive a motor vehicle.

On the other hand, having less than optimal motor function, spatial awareness and hand eye coordination do not make it less safe to have sexual intercourse - or indeed many other social things a person can do (play computer games, play a musical instrument, sing a song or play party games with friends etc.)

Having such a large amount of alcohol that you pass out is clearly different. But nobody is suggesting that this is what happened in this incident.

The writer lays out her principles the following way:
The issue is one of consent and there is nothing ambiguous about a woman’s rights to give or not give her consent at any time. Where ambiguity may arise is whether on particular facts, sex was consensual or not.
Why simply a woman's right?
Can't men be raped too? (Errrm...what about the menz?)

Finally, in neither article is it even questioned that the false accuser may face any consequences for her behavior - it is even illegal for newspapers to publish her name!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

[TRIGGER WARNING FOR WELCH - for realz: other people's email]

Did anyone else get this email?

The paranoid sound to it makes me think I might have picked up a crazy person while arguing over at Cannabis Culture about the solar powered roadways scam. But if others of you got this, then it's probably a nutcase from elsewhere.
The email I got wrote:academic research

Hello!
I am researching internet communications and particularly, the disinformation aspect of modern dialogues.

As you might have heard, recently it was revealed by Edward Snowden and others that various governments have subverted free speech by co-opting, redirecting, and otherwise thwarting internet speech. They do this via military and civilian contractors who disguise themselves in online postings.

I have been researching this topic for several years, and I have recently hit a bump in the road--in fact, an entire conversation thread has been deleted from the internet!

As you might recall, the topic, which you participated in, was called " the periodic table of swearing" which was hosted by one Abbie Smith at scienceblogs.com.

Ironically-the entire post has 'disappeared' from the net--and this twist of 'free speech' is ironic indeed, as my hypotheses is that the thread was a 'honeypot' of sorts--a method of entrapment and collusion with illegal programs that we now know (thanks to Edward Snowden, et al.) are indeed happening.

Do you have any information in regards to where I can find this post or this thread-did you, or anyone you know preserve it in any form?

Any and all information is appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
[name retracted], journalism student
The paranoids, feminists, and Thunderphobes I encountered there, makes me think it's one of the conspiracy nutters from there, even though the topic they ask about is to do with the Pit's ERV/ElevatorGate history. The fact that my archives of it all are right on the main page of my domain, and linked to from every forum I post at, tells me that the person is either stupid or fishing for something further, like confirmation of a conspiracy.

Note the multiple Snowden referrences, "illegal programs", disguised contractors, and how he seems to think it's a conspiracy that the original pages are not still up.

So, anyone else get one of these? And which ones of you are the disguised gov't agents? :lol:

MadGav

Post by MadGav »

Not really relevant to anything being discussed right now, but just wanted to congratulate Justin Vacula for inserting his mustachioed fizzog into the Unbelievers film. Blink and I'd have missed it - but I would recognise that facial hair anywhere (apparently).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tribble wrote:
Really? wrote:
Well, if it makes you feel better, I am 100% cool with birth control. As I pointed out, it's MEDICINE that is used to treat OTHER CONDITIONS. I don't know how grownups missed this information.
We put the youngest on BC at 13 because she had really terrible periods. Even on birth control, she's fairly heavy and still cramps a bit. But before BC, she was totally fucked 3 of the 28 days of her cycle.
I went to high school in a Catholic run school and we had social lessons arranged by a Catholic priest.
In order to teach about 'responsible' (official Catholic) attitudes towards sex, he arranged for a married couple as well as a Catholic physician, a local general practitioner, to come in and talk to us.

The married couple's talk was, as far as I can remember, excruciatingly embarrassing - I can still recall half the class sitting there squirming as the husband told us that a woman needs to be satisfied during sex too. We were all about 13 or 14 yet this sounded blindingly obvious - and having his wife at his side as he told us this was like watching a movie with your parents as a sex scene in the film happens.

The physician, on the other hand seemed somewhat subversive.
He told us that he often prescribed the contraceptive pill for girls to help counteract painful periods. I suspect the girls in the class were all thinking - "Thanks for that, now I know what to ask for when I want to start on the pill!"
It's probably relevant to mention that where I was living during those years the sale of condoms was illegal.

As for the overall debate of the past day or so, it does seem weird from a European perspective.
We have free universal healthcare over here but we mostly pay for family planning services.
It seems a strange priority system in the US that you are prepared to accept a very backwards system of healthcare (in terms of who can or cannot receive free emergency treatment) and yet become furious that you must pay for things like the pill and condoms which are relatively minor costs overall. I am personally in favor of the government covering these (minor) costs - I think the utilitarian argument that it benefits society far more to prevent unwanted pregnancies is enough for me - but I think you really need to sort out your overall healthcare system first before you get so heated up by this particular question.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

MadGav wrote:Not really relevant to anything being discussed right now, but just wanted to congratulate Justin Vacula for inserting his mustachioed fizzog into the Unbelievers film. Blink and I'd have missed it - but I would recognise that facial hair anywhere (apparently).
Really?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

KenD wrote:Another day, another beyond parody example of SJWers SJWing.

http://sfist.com/attachments/SFist_Jay/ ... test-3.jpg
Kink.com's statement says: "One of the [event security] guards was spit on, another was punched twice in the stomach. The guards did not retaliate in any way, but we were temporarily forced to shut the entrance to prevent those entering from being injured."

Police arrived and dispersed the crowd, but reportedly a handful of protesters continued to engage with partygoers and police officers. According to Kink, "At least one gay man leaving was assaulted about a block from the Armory, and had his phone smashed by protesters. Another man leaving the party reportedly had his collar bone broken."
http://sfist.com/attachments/SFist_Jay/ ... test-2.jpg
I find it amusing that Jezebel lead the charge on the Internet. Then deleted the post. ( http://roygbiv.jezebel.com/san-francisc ... 1582398693 (404/Post Not Found)) Nothing like memory-holing your stirring up the crowd when bad shit later happens.

windy

Post by windy »

“People don’t seem to understand the legal issues around consent,” a spokeswoman for Rape Crisis – the UKs largest rape charity – tells me.

“Just because someone seems to say ‘yes’, it doesn’t mean they’ve consented. They might have reduced capacity, thanks to alcohol, drugs, learning disabilities – or even being asleep.

“We understand it clearly when it comes to drink driving; that someone has willingly got behind the wheel, but isn’t in a fit state to consent to drive. We see that they don’t understand the consequences. But we struggle to apply the same concept to rape.”
The hell?? If a drunk person can't "consent to drive", how can we hold people criminally liable for drunk driving? :lol:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

This is kind of an odd passage. If I understand her correctly, the drunk person in the second paragraph is the woman who can't give consent due to inebriation. In the third paragraph the drunk person is the man who is supposedly too drunk to engage in consensual sex because ??? perhaps he's not able to interpret consent in the woman. I don't see how the metaphor holds up otherwise. If it's the woman who is drunk and unable to understand the consequences, well the law doesn't that as an excuse for drunk driving anyway. Altogether a confusing passage. If anything, the law establishes the precedent that being drunk is not a get-out-of-responsibility free card.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Ninjaed, of course. Damn it, why can't I ever make a point first?

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

James Caruthers wrote:Consent to sex is not consent to parenthood. I find most people's hypocrisy on this issue absolutely infuriating. Nobody on this board would suggest that a woman who accidentally got knocked up consented to be a mother when she had sex. But I think many people of all persuasions political would say that a man who had sex with a woman consented to be a father when he had sex. Ugh. I've encountered this sentiment (that men consent to fatherhood and the financial liability of fatherhood every time they have sex) from conservatives, liberals, libertarians, christians, atheists, feminists of ALL stripes (so much for gender equality, but I guess the money has to come from somewhere!) and everyone in-between. :snooty: YOU'RE NOT A REAL MAAAAN! :naughty:
¹ Knows it can happen + Wants it to happen + Carries on
v
² Knows it can happen + Doesn't particularly care + Carries on
v
³ Knows it can happen + Doesn't want it to happen + But carries on
v
× Thought it could't happen (+ Doesn't want it to happen) + Takes precautions

- When determining (criminal) liability, we usually only punish 1,2 (deliberate/eventual intent), as long as neglience (starting with conscious neglience in 3) isn't also punishable.
- When determining (civil) monetary liabilities, we ~usually~ don't make that distinction between 2 and 3, and we usually don't let that person off the hook, even if he/she reasonably believed his/her actions couldn't lead to a certain outcome (x).

That's where the inequal treatment of men/women comes from.
A man's forced participation is primarily considered one of monetary commitment = liable for damages (=unwanted loss of wealth on the woman's side), no matter what.
A woman's forced participation, or the cancellation thereof, is primarily considered a violation of bodily autonomy when mandated by the state, which can only be justified if towering public interests demand it. In most western countries, the state has no legitimate interest in enfocing/preventing procreation (although that MIGHT change, if demographics get worse). That's why a woman can say "I quit" even IF she initially consented to it - UNTIL the point where her decision might transgress into the realm of other rights (which is the point where the abortion debate starts).

What's special about this:
In ever other civil case, a respondant could reject a plaintiff's claim for compensation (child support), if the plaintiff delibaretly used the respondant's actions to cause loss of wealth on his own side, because the resulting loss of wealth couldn't be seen as "unwanted" anymore, and therefor not be considered "damage". No damage, no compensation.

How does socialist legislation get around this ?
With a trick - by claiming that the child is a "third party", which has a claim against both parents to satifsy its needs. The father must satisfy that claim by being the primary moneygiver, the mother by being the primary caregiver. If a parent cannot be held liable, for whatever reason, the state (=everyone) steps in and pays the bills.
Needless to say, that feminist influence is responsible for sending men to prison for failing to pay up, while there are virtually no sanctions against women who neglect their duties (unless the child endures physically harm).

All of that is part of "social justice", the enforced redistribution of wealth from the fit to the unfit. Some aspects of it are useful, others are severely detrimental - the way SJ handles questions of poverty and parenthood, has produced an evergrowing underbelly of underclass people who pop out the most children, but who can't neither support themselves, nor their children. A long-term recipe for disaster.
The simplest fix to this whole problem (imo) would be to allow men to renounce parental rights without the woman's consent. Currently, all decisions a man makes about being or not being a father are at the discretion of the woman. This parental release form would be signed by the man and witnessed by the court. The man would lose his parental privileges over the child, but would no longer be financially liable to provide money to this child. A "financial abortion."
Never going to happen, because it would have a huge impact on demographics. Illegitimacy rates in certain parts of the population would probably closing in to 100%, the state's expenses to support single mothers would go through the roof, as well as the number of abortions, while general birth rates would be plummeting.

Letting men have a say in these affairs is a form of equality that society cannot stomach, because the current system is almost entirely built on the involuntary participation and payment liabilities of men.
Also, paternity testing should be available on-demand to EITHER parent and the results should be admissible in court as evidence for either side. This would prevent a woman who falsely accuses a man of being the father from forcing the court to throw out paternity results, which women currently do. No man should ever have to pay, I think we can all agree, for a child which is not his.
See what I wrote above. In a perfectly reasonable and just world, paternity tests would be mandatory some time after a child's birth, but we're NEVER going to see that - quite the opposite, some western countries have made it a crime for a man to get a paternity test done without the consent of the mother.

So ... "Patriarchy" ? Nope. By no stretch of the imagination are western societies built around the needs of men.
That's not only wrong, it's the opposite of true. :hand:

Southern

Post by Southern »

deLurch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:I let quite a few things just float over and not bother me. The thought of a coat hanger shoved up my vagina to hook into and pull out an embryo just sort of leaves me not really feeling like being jovial and fucking laughing. Ya know. Chicks and that shit.
OK. Pass. I fully admit that is a bad attempt at humor.
You give up too easily.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Pretty close to just saying fuck it to the 'pit with the whole hanger/abortion thing. Some may think it's really fucking funny but I really don't. Why? Because I know of people in my own family that had to actually deal with that sort of thing and it's just not fucking hilarious.

Feh.
Well, "fuck it" accepted, and you may fuck yourself too. Since I don't care about Svan, Ophelia and the rest of the clowns' hurt feefees, I can't see any justification for me to care about yours.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 957943.jpg

MadGav

Post by MadGav »

Pitchguest wrote:Really?
Yes, if I had more tech savvy I'd get a screen-grab, but it's either Justin or his evil twin, strolling across a crowd shot at the Reason Rally.

Southern

Post by Southern »

TiBo wrote:
didymos wrote:Found another good parody/satire account on Twitter:
Bonus is how many angry idiots think it's real and end up as tweet-fodder.
Sadly, I agree with the tweet, so I guess I'm a reactionary old art-ist fart.
This:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/ ... i-hd02.jpg

Vs this:

http://princeton.guendel.org/wp-content ... g_8705.JPG

I prefer the game, thank you very much.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

another lurker wrote:snip

Lulz

Another asshole
Random asshole
Some asshole
Asshole person
I know you as a fine scholar who provides impeccable references.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

AndrewV69 wrote:Oh Sweet!

My cup overfloweth. I am dancing with joy!

Because apparently SB-967, was overwhelmingly approved by the State Assembly’s Committee on Higher Education on June 24. And now, reports legal expert Hans Bader, similar measures may be coming on a federal level.
In the end, Culp-Ressler’s argument boils down to this: A rule so murky that even its advocates aren’t sure exactly what it means or how it will work, and which allows virtually any sexual encounter to be reclassified as a violation after the fact, is not a problem because people can be trusted not to abuse it. What could possibly go wrong?
What indeed?

I just know I am going to be constantly entertained in the years to come. Woot!

(too bad about all the future victims of SB-967)
It does indeed seem that it's past the point for good sense to prevail on US campuses. So now, the thing will have to run it's course. We have to wait until the American public gets sick of having it's sons branded as rapists and kicked out of university, on the basis of flimsy accusations and a process that's a denial of every principle of natural justice.

Aside from those who are actually going to have their lives ruined, what lesson is this going to teach a generation of young men? That women are people who destroy you out of stupidity, embarrassment or petty malice? This is a poison that will spread.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Southern wrote:
TiBo wrote:
didymos wrote:Found another good parody/satire account on Twitter:
Bonus is how many angry idiots think it's real and end up as tweet-fodder.
Sadly, I agree with the tweet, so I guess I'm a reactionary old art-ist fart.
This:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/ ... i-hd02.jpg

Vs this:

http://princeton.guendel.org/wp-content ... g_8705.JPG

I prefer the game, thank you very much.
So do I - but the fact that you felt the need to compare the summit of artsy game-design to the crudest form of modern art, already puts you in the defensive. It's like argueing that there are no bodily differences between in men and women by comparing the weakest man to the strongest woman you can find... you somehow undermine your own argument.

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote:
Boy, I can only hope and dream of us oppressive menz someday being in a situation where "will my boss pay for my contraception" is the biggest of our issues regarding the freedom to have consequence-free sex. The only choices for men now are foreveralone.jpg, wearing a rubber (which might fail) or having an irreversible surgical procedure. IIRC, the Pick-Up Artists advocate both condoms and pulling out, which is an excellent way to combine two methods proven to fail every so often. 8-)
Uh... unless I missed something and ERV already cured AIDS while I was searching for a coathanger picture, "consequence free" sex should never NOT involve a condom. Even with one's own lovely and truthful wife, who may or may not be so lovely and truthful, as far as one can know.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I find it pretty disgusting and backward that some people here are suggesting performing abortions with a coathanger.
An egg whisk will do the job in half the time.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Shitty day yesterday - probably have a broken rib or two and was just a complete bitch. Apologies across the board here, so to speak. Anyway, I'll remember to just breath and let shit roll over in the future. That is, if I can fucking breath (stupid rib(s)).

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Pitchguest wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:What about head banging? Can you still do that?
I think these are the only "head" bangs Phil has to look forward to in the future:

http://ateliersalon.com/wp-content/uplo ... 4x1024.jpg
Oh, "bangs" as in the Merkin meaning 'fringe'. For a sec there, I thought you'd arranged for Phil to be gobbed off by Christina Ricci and was immensely jealous.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I have always been bothered by the fact that video games are not considered art.

Video games include..

Graphics
Music
Acting
Story

All of the above can certainly qualify as art.
Games just don't get any respect because they are associated with teen boys and how could *they* ever appreciate anything!

I have always looked at video games as art that you can interact with. A painting/movie that you can explore in 3D.

Oh, and I <3 Mondrian.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Inaji wrote:

Oh. I closed back out after addressing the mess. Years ago, I wrote a race descriptor on usenet: Caine, Dutch-Scottish-Croation-English-with tiny bits of Greek-Russian freckled melanin-impaired, ginger-haired Leftpondian.
Which matched her picture and squared quite well with the then-claimed genetics necessary to have freckles and red hair. Red hair, being an incomplete dominant that passes on as a recessive, means you NEED BOTH MC1R's to get the red hair and she has a lot of ancestry where the MC1R gene is prevalent (about 4% of continental Europeans if I remember right with Scots and Irish being way over that).
Red hair appears in people with two copies of a recessive gene on chromosome 16 which causes a mutation in the MC1R protein.
Yet she's claiming an ancestry where there are NO red-hair mutations on the MC1R protein. And while it's theoretically possible for a recessive MC1R gene from a white-ancestor to have passed down through many generations, it's very unlikely given her OTHER physical characteristics where the genes 'average out' their differences (skin tone) or are recessives (she should have dark brown eyes).

Given the evidence, I don't think any reasonable person could believe her tale without some serious 'putting on proof' as it were.

Southern

Post by Southern »

TiBo wrote: So do I - but the fact that you felt the need to compare the summit of artsy game-design to the crudest form of modern art, already puts you in the defensive. It's like argueing that there are no bodily differences between in men and women by comparing the weakest man to the strongest woman you can find... you somehow undermine your own argument.
Ok, that's a fair point (although that piece of crap is hanging on a museum and it's worth millions of dollars, while Okami's studio is hanging over the bankrupcy office and isn't worth shit). Let's take a mediocre game and compare to something better than that crappy painting:

http://gaygamer.net/images/eternal-sona ... gretto.jpg

Vs

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Jatte.jpg

It may be biased personal choice, I'll grant you that, but I'd still go with the game.