Pitchguest

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Pitchguest »

paddybrown wrote:
welch wrote:http://existentialcomics.com/comic/35

it is giggle-worthy.
Been done.

[youtube]-2gJamguN04[/youtube]
This comic is an homage (or perhaps ripoff, if you are feeling less generous) of Monty Python's classic skit, "The Philosophers' Football Match"

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

Richard Dworkins wrote:I'm of the opinion that a lot of "otherkin" are actually just a youth subculture.
Judging by the ages listed in some profiles I'd agree that many are youth, of course some don't leave it behind for a mix of reasons like tolerance and mental hang-ups. However, to maintain what is essentially a style (Goth) is one thing, to seriously think you're an elf, pony or what have you as an adult, well I think that takes some underlying mental issues to get there.
ROBBOKiTTY wrote:There's nothing wrong with being otherkin if it's rational.
Yeah, problem there is... it's not rational, it may be a harmless delusion for many but thinking you're actually a cat deity is not in the least bit rational.
deLurch wrote:Adults like to do role playing. LARPing, furries, team mascots, halloween, etc... and some people do not wish to break character.
I'd say there is a difference between all that and actually thinking you're a unicorn in human form, not playing as one, but really a unicorn... that just happens to look like a human. To the best of my knowledge, otherkin think that inside they are literally whatever creature, character or object they claim to be.
Tribble wrote:With the Gender Dysphorics... I less sure if they're nuts are not.
I'm certainly open to a number being genuine but with the likes of that wailing twit Setar or that weakly feminine looking - judging by that barely self-censored photo - gerbil Jones claiming to be trans, well some seem less clear cut. They may seriously believe they are trans but there's a possibility that like otherkin other issues are in play, issues which will not be solved by any gender alteration as your anecdote indicated. Then some may well just be histrionic types doing it for the attention and coveted victim status.

So I also share the impression that there may be a greater weight put on simply believing for PC reasons rather than questioning too deeply. I was recently informed by a UK resident I know - whom I have no reason to doubt but perhaps their interpretation is off - that one of their offspring has declared themselves to be transgendered. Apparently if the parents are not onboard with the claim to the transgender's satisfaction, the trans person in question can request the intervention of social services for relocation. However, this may be after consultations from which the psychologists have made a judgment of genuine dysphoria and it is on foot of this that the parents are obliged to be supportive and not remain in denial.

I wonder how they never understand that the majority of their 'trolls' are regular people who are highly offended at being constantly insulted and don't care for the bigotry and personal attacks?

Barring the grifters leveraging it for exposure but knowing better, the rest seem to suffer from cognitive dissonance stemming from the delusion that they are always right as a matter of course, and anyone not in near 100% lock-step are thus the foulest of persons spewing nought but raw hate. Them being always in the right means no one could possibly have an argument or justification otherwise, so it must be hate.
Tribble wrote:Thing is, most of them would have to look up the 'appropriate' people to put on their list...
It's the posturing that's important with em.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

You'll be back, stronger than you can imagine.
http://imgur.com/gxUH061.png

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Oh Sweet!

My cup overfloweth. I am dancing with joy!

Because apparently SB-967, was overwhelmingly approved by the State Assembly’s Committee on Higher Education on June 24. And now, reports legal expert Hans Bader, similar measures may be coming on a federal level.
In the end, Culp-Ressler’s argument boils down to this: A rule so murky that even its advocates aren’t sure exactly what it means or how it will work, and which allows virtually any sexual encounter to be reclassified as a violation after the fact, is not a problem because people can be trusted not to abuse it. What could possibly go wrong?
What indeed?

I just know I am going to be constantly entertained in the years to come. Woot!

(too bad about all the future victims of SB-967)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Condolences Phil. That's terrible.

Matt said:
Can anyone find where Peezus recently defended Ograpist? I want to remind him of it.
I'm not certain, but I think it was on one of Stefunny InZvanity's posts. Strawkins should know; he knows everything historical.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tribble wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
didymos wrote:
Study Shows Salon Articles Now Written Exclusively While On LSD.
I believe that's a Salon parody account.
Still true about the real Salon.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

katamari Damassi wrote:
RebeccaBradley wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Anyone going to TAM this year? (Besides Justin - I know he's going.) Feel free to PM me if you are, & would be interested in crossing paths there.
I'll be there, and will be happy to meet up and hoist a few - beers, I mean.
Hope you're both carrying tasers to ward of the rapists.
Goodness gracious. Is that a threat? http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... 06/im-out/

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I think Phil's post needs to be put in context with his post of last week:

From June 22nd
Hullo!

I just spent a couple of days in the mountains, and it was GOOOOOOD! Except for that trampoline accident that's gonna have me going to the clinic tomorrow morning, if I can sleep at all. I've heard it's not a good sign when your cervicals go "crack" and you can't move your head at all without excruciating pain. Probably just a strain.

One week later...

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... adc9be.jpg
Anyway, my new looks are courtesy of a trampoline accident. Yep! I broke C2 and damaged C3. Doctors say I was less than a millimeter away from death (they call C2 the Hanged Man's vertebrae). Anyway, I spent the week at the hospital, getting metal bars driven into my skull so they could attach weights to keep my spine straight until surgery. They operated on Wednesday, getting to the spot via the front right part of my throat, and soldered C2 and C3 with a titanium plate, using a bone graft from my iliac crest (that's the part that still hurts the most). it was my first time under general anesthesia, and although I was a bit apprehensive, all went well. Now I have to wear Robocop's Sunday Dress 24/7 for the next 3 months, lest I die while moving too much in my sleep. So it's goodbye skydiving and other fun physical activities for me. I'm not sure it's hit me yet.
:o

Take care, Phil.
Hey now, I called it first.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John Greg wrote:Condolences Phil. That's terrible.

Matt said:
Can anyone find where Peezus recently defended Ograpist? I want to remind him of it.
I'm not certain, but I think it was on one of Stefunny InZvanity's posts. Strawkins should know; he knows everything historical.
Ah yes, I think I recall it was a post where Steph was complaining about the pit saying mean things about her. That should narrow down my search.

I'll pop over to dookie town & have a look.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John Greg wrote:Condolences Phil. That's terrible.
Yeah, you should watch a comedy movie like Office Space to cheer yourself up.

http://cdn.hark.com/images/000/508/222/ ... iginal.jpg

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Found a pic of Phil with Matt Cavenaugh, exercising the second amendment.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a57 ... d3d7d4.jpg

Srsly Phil - all the best !

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Okay - Let's see if I got this right.

If I were to mildly suggest on Twitter that Melody's PTSD is not the same as that of a traumatised soldier, I'm a dangerous harasser who must be avoided at costs ..... but if I bung on a dress and go into the women's changing room at her local swimming pool, she'd be quite happy to disrobe in front of me and, indeed, to berate any woman who was uncomfortable at doing so.

..... OK

didymos

Post by didymos »

Found another good parody/satire account on Twitter:
Bonus is how many angry idiots think it's real and end up as tweet-fodder.

EyeNoU

Post by EyeNoU »

Skep tickle wrote:Anyone going to TAM this year? (Besides Justin - I know he's going.) Feel free to PM me if you are, & would be interested in crossing paths there.
I intend to say hi again this time. Glad to hear you will make it.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

RebeccaB wrote:Goodness gracious. Is that a threat? http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... 06/im-out/
Like the little boy who cried wolf, I have trouble taking her assessment seriously.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Really? wrote:
John D wrote:The SCOTUS just ruled that businesses can deny birth control coverage in their health insurance plans for religious reasons. I am kind of "meh" about the whole topic. If you wanna fuck then maybe you should buy your own bc. Years ago it was common for health plans to not covered bc.

Just my feeling I guess.

I do think this will mobilize more women to vote Democrat however. The "war on women" rages on and the Reps are losing votes big time.
You are aware that "birth control" is used for a lot more than "birth control," right?
And for those men who are "meh" about the whole thing, remember it takes 2 to fucking tango. Have a wonderful time with women (like myself) who have a problem with condoms. Ya wanna fuck? Partake in the aftermath.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

deLurch wrote:
RebeccaB wrote:Goodness gracious. Is that a threat? http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... 06/im-out/
Like the little boy who cried wolf, I have trouble taking her assessment seriously.
People need to take threats seriously, even if the threat was a hoax you made up yourself. :drool:

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:
Goddamn. Does she get paid to blog? That's a tweet or a status update on Facebook.
Hey, Shermertron, if you're out there, that's 17 words, all her own.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

And for the record, not only do I have a problem with condoms but I am one of those women who tend to get pregnant while on birth control pills. So, for the men who side on the whole "meh" bit, fuck you and may you reap what you sow :)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
deLurch wrote:
People need to take threats seriously, even if the threat was a hoax you made up yourself. :drool:
BTW - That was from June 2012. I don't even care enough to bother looking up what that was about.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Damn it. I really shouldn't post or reply when I've had a drink or two. But seriously. I (perhaps stupidly) thought that most of the men on here were a bit more evolved than that. Sigh.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Damn it. I really shouldn't post or reply when I've had a drink or two. But seriously. I (perhaps stupidly) thought that most of the men on here were a bit more evolved than that. Sigh.
Well, if it makes you feel better, I am 100% cool with birth control. As I pointed out, it's MEDICINE that is used to treat OTHER CONDITIONS. I don't know how grownups missed this information.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:
Opyt wrote:Phil:
Eucli got banned, again, on FT-LSiL's advice
Someone made an ass of themselves on twitter.
More people made asses of themselves on twitter.
I made an ass of myself on twitter.
Even more people made asses of themselves on twitter.
Skep is going to TAM, along with another two people (Mr. Justin Vacula, and Mz. Rebecca Bradley)

That should about sum it up.
I'm still a cunt.
Oh, ok. So nothing special, then?

Anyway, my new looks are courtesy of a trampoline accident. Yep! I broke C2 and damaged C3. Doctors say I was less than a millimeter away from death (they call C2 the Hanged Man's vertebrae). Anyway, I spent the week at the hospital, getting metal bars driven into my skull so they could attach weights to keep my spine straight until surgery. They operated on Wednesday, getting to the spot via the front right part of my throat, and soldered C2 and C3 with a titanium plate, using a bone graft from my iliac crest (that's the part that still hurts the most). it was my first time under general anesthesia, and although I was a bit apprehensive, all went well. Now I have to wear Robocop's Sunday Dress 24/7 for the next 3 months, lest I die while moving too much in my sleep. So it's goodbye skydiving and other fun physical activities for me. I'm not sure it's hit me yet.
What about head banging? Can you still do that?

welch

Post by welch »

Really? wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Damn it. I really shouldn't post or reply when I've had a drink or two. But seriously. I (perhaps stupidly) thought that most of the men on here were a bit more evolved than that. Sigh.
Well, if it makes you feel better, I am 100% cool with birth control. As I pointed out, it's MEDICINE that is used to treat OTHER CONDITIONS. I don't know how grownups missed this information.
It's pretty easy. Decide that insurance-covered BC is only for women too cheap to pay for their own good time.

When confronted by the obvious idiocy in that statement, pretend you hear nothing.

didymos

Post by didymos »

[youtube]L2Tu-g-_rEE[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

KiwiInOz wrote:snip Phil's woes

What about head banging? Can you still do that?
Ok. So I'm ninja'd by almost everybody on page 345. It is morning and I am just catching up on the night's escapades! So fuck off the lot of you.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Really? wrote:
Sigh. I suppose I'm just angry at the decision in its entirety. I'm fortunate enough to be with someone who's insurance would never impinge upon my reproductive choices. But many other women I know aren't as fortunate. I also realize that it's the *job* of the POTUS to interpret the law not edit. I'm just pissed that corporations are allowed to be considered "people" and we have to allow corporations the same allotments afforded to *actual* people.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote:
Really? wrote:
It's pretty easy. Decide that insurance-covered BC is only for women too cheap to pay for their own good time.

When confronted by the obvious idiocy in that statement, pretend you hear nothing.

"insurance-covered BS is only for women too cheap to pay for their own good time" - cough, cough FUCK YOU in the politest way possible. You wanna fuck? You get to pay the price the same as me, buddy. That's my motto :) And this is coming from someone who took care of her own shit without the guy knowing as the guy wouldn't have fucking stepped up so many years ago. I'm one of the lucky ones to live in a situation that allowed me to take care of things. Not so many women are (economically or situationally).

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

I have a major fucking problem with religious sensibilities trumping easy and affordable access to BC.

That said, after reading up a bit on the case, I now think that my original anger toward SCOTUS was somewhat misplaced. The real problem here IMO is the RFRA. (Well, that and the inherently sexist religious idiocy of the Christian Right.)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Ugh. Sorry everyone. As a few of you know, I'm on the side of MRA in many situations. But when it comes to sex and birth control, I lose my fucking shit when men sit there and talk about "being too cheap" or popping out "meh" when it comes to this topic. The thing is, this affects men AND women. Men should be more vocal than women when it comes to medical insurance coverage for women in the area of birth control. Why? Because at this point in history more men than women are affected by the birth of a child.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

ERV wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:I'm still a cunt.

Jesus, Phil :( Is there anything I/we can do to help?
more neckbrace empathy?

http://i.imgur.com/4tgG908.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Ugh. Sorry everyone. As a few of you know, I'm on the side of MRA in many situations. But when it comes to sex and birth control, I lose my fucking shit when men sit there and talk about "being too cheap" or popping out "meh" when it comes to this topic. The thing is, this affects men AND women. Men should be more vocal than women when it comes to medical insurance coverage for women in the area of birth control. Why? Because at this point in history more men than women are affected by the birth of a child.

During my brief stint as president of a uni NARAL chapter, I was agog at how many "pro life" people hated the idea of any form of birth control.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

ReneeHendricks wrote:And for the record, not only do I have a problem with condoms but I am one of those women who tend to get pregnant while on birth control pills. So, for the men who side on the whole "meh" bit, fuck you and may you reap what you sow :)
Gee, I thought you were married.
Is this an open marriage, or are you stepping out already?

Otherwise, this outrage about something that is likely to seriously affect very few if any women is amusing.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Crap. Going even further - my husband works for Boeing. When you go and choose your coverage, you can end up with Swedish hospital and their affiliates. What does this mean? It means you may be *fucked* when it comes to birth control and things you can do should the wee baby Shamus you carry suddenly not be alive any more while residing in your body. Thank the non-existent gods my guy decided University of Washington was the better way to go.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Really? wrote:
Sigh. I suppose I'm just angry at the decision in its entirety. I'm fortunate enough to be with someone who's insurance would never impinge upon my reproductive choices. But many other women I know aren't as fortunate. I also realize that it's the *job* of the POTUS to interpret the law not edit. I'm just pissed that corporations are allowed to be considered "people" and we have to allow corporations the same allotments afforded to *actual* people.
What's especially frustrating is that we don't have to consider corporations "people" in all cases. The RFRA could easily have been written using the word "individual" rather than "person."

Just a few months back, some 20 Democratic senators who voted for the RFRA filed an amicus brief stating that it was never supposed to apply to corporations. I have two comments on that:

1) 97 of 100 senators voted yea, so what about the other ~80?

2) how the hell could 20 senators not know that "person" includes corporations by default in all Acts of Congress? It's only spelled out in 1 U.S. Code § 1: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/1/1

Here's a thought: NO RELIGIOUS EXEMPTIONS, PERIOD.

didymos

Post by didymos »

rpguest wrote: more neckbrace empathy?

Rebecca Watson's TAM workshop?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Ugh. Sorry everyone. As a few of you know, I'm on the side of MRA in many situations. But when it comes to sex and birth control, I lose my fucking shit when men sit there and talk about "being too cheap" or popping out "meh" when it comes to this topic. The thing is, this affects men AND women. Men should be more vocal than women when it comes to medical insurance coverage for women in the area of birth control. Why? Because at this point in history more men than women are affected by the birth of a child.

During my brief stint as president of a uni NARAL chapter, I was agog at how many "pro life" people hated the idea of any form of birth control.
It's insane. Because it simply perpetuates the cycle. For lack of a better way of saying it "stupid begets stupid".

didymos

Post by didymos »

welch wrote: During my brief stint as president of a uni NARAL chapter, I was agog at how many "pro life" people hated the idea of any form of birth control.
Why? They oppose abortion and birth control for the same reason: preventing babbys from forming the way God intended.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

didymos wrote:
rpguest wrote: more neckbrace empathy?

Rebecca Watson's TAM workshop?
im picturing it more as mandatory lawaag hats

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Completely off-topic and because I want to crow - 3 weeks and 1 day without a cigarette. I've been on Chantix and using a vaping e-cig with 0 nicotine e-juice. Pretty proud of myself. The downside has been I've been drinking a tiny bit more in the afternoons but still - exercising and *not* smoking a regular cigarette is the end result :D

So, if I seem a bit off and weird, I blame it on that :D

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Year after year after year after year of hearing "you should have kept your dick in your pants" might skew some people's thoughts on the recent SCOTUS decision. So IMO there's a huge "keep your knees together" aspect. I wouldn't expect decent conversation on this.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

One of the better posts on this issue that explains the legal issue in plain wording:
http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/06/court ... n-english/

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Maybe the simplest thing to do is to relabel all of the public washrooms with images of either a penis or a vagina, and oblige people to use the one that matches their own "equipment" - which of course some 98% of the population already do .... apparently in any case ....
Rest rooms, lockers, & changing rooms have always been segregated by sex. Men's = anatomical male; Women's = anatomical female.
it's fair to ask why we segregated them in the first place. If a valid purpose still exists, then to ask whether allowing anatomical men to use The Ladies' and vice versa defeats that purpose.

The SJWs redefining of sex to mean nothing more or less than 'what you call yourself', does not make all the previous justifications for segregated facilities go 'poof".
To shake a spear or to vere off into uncharted territory – so to speak – “there’s the rub”.

I know we all had great sport with HJ, and I largely think he’s out to lunch, but I also think he might have a bit of a point: “sex” is somewhat of a social construct. Seems to me that there are the twin peaks where there’s a strong correlation between, say, genitalia and karyotype, but there are, as we’ve discussed, a number of exceptions to the rules by which the terms are defined. Now we can simply define them so that there are only two sexes, and the exceptions are just that. Or we can concede that there are more than two even if the populations in the non-standard ones are rather small. But that still seems to be rather arbitrary, maybe even a case of agreeing on a social construct.

For instance, and I think the FTB commenter Tom Foss had a post on this, there are people who are X-Y but still have female primary and secondary sexual attributes - androgen insensitive, I think. So, male, female, and some third sex? Or two and and some exceptions?

Although I think it is somewhat of the proverbial tempest in a teapot ....

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Criminy, Phil - I'm sorry to hear that your accident was so serious. Let me know if you fancy any mailable Texan/Mexican comestibles that would survive a transatlantic journey. No scorpion candy or armadillo fritters, I promise!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

KiwiInOz wrote:What about head banging? Can you still do that?
I think these are the only "head" bangs Phil has to look forward to in the future:

http://ateliersalon.com/wp-content/uplo ... 4x1024.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Completely off-topic and because I want to crow - 3 weeks and 1 day without a cigarette. I've been on Chantix and using a vaping e-cig with 0 nicotine e-juice. Pretty proud of myself. The downside has been I've been drinking a tiny bit more in the afternoons but still - exercising and *not* smoking a regular cigarette is the end result :D

:clap: Congrats - although I found it rather easy to quit - why I did so dozens if not hundreds of times .... still periodically have the urge and even periodically indulge it even though I've been off them, more or less, for 5 years or more ....

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Phil wrote:Anyway, my new looks are courtesy of a trampoline accident. Yep! I broke C2 and damaged C3. Doctors say I was less than a millimeter away from death (they call C2 the Hanged Man's vertebrae). Anyway, I spent the week at the hospital, getting metal bars driven into my skull so they could attach weights to keep my spine straight until surgery. They operated on Wednesday, getting to the spot via the front right part of my throat, and soldered C2 and C3 with a titanium plate, using a bone graft from my iliac crest (that's the part that still hurts the most). it was my first time under general anesthesia, and although I was a bit apprehensive, all went well. Now I have to wear Robocop's Sunday Dress 24/7 for the next 3 months, lest I die while moving too much in my sleep. So it's goodbye skydiving and other fun physical activities for me. I'm not sure it's hit me yet.
Amazing what some people will do for attention. :naughty:

Srsly, Phil, so sorry to hear what you've been through. I hope your pain is under control and you have all the help you need at home.

Bonus about that last mm (and skilled neurosurgeons, of course). Could have been quite a different outcome...scary.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

debaser71 wrote:Year after year after year after year of hearing "you should have kept your dick in your pants" might skew some people's thoughts on the recent SCOTUS decision. So IMO there's a huge "keep your knees together" aspect. I wouldn't expect decent conversation on this.
Well, I was going to mention that, but Renee is just so upset.

Fact is, rare though they be things such as stolen sperm leading to 18 years of debt-slavery, cuckolded men forced to continue to be 'fathers' (even though such orders might prevent -assuming they still have time - them from really becoming fathers)at the point of jail (and ultimately a gun) are outrageous.
And of course men STILL don't have a fucking pill, and male contraceptives (such as condoms) aren't required to be covered and I'm like "Double Meh".

Just don't work for any company that has such a policy. Most companies aren't run by crazy Christians, Jews, or Muslims. Problem solved. Alternatively, keep your fucking legs closed.
This only applies to 4 out of over a dozen types of birth control anyway.
Like I said, the only people I feel sorry for are female employees (and probably not that many) who will have to pony up cash for NECESSARY medical treatment.
But if the Clarence was in charge, ironically, I'd cover medically necessary birth control in my Universal Health system, while leaving it to private individuals to get their own damn regular contraception.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:
Steersman wrote: Though they do sort of give some indication of having their hearts in the right places; unfortunately though more than a few seem to have allowed their dogmata - or maybe just their peevishness - to get the better of their rationality ....
I think it's a bit easy to forgive people based on "their hearts are in the right place." .....

Thing is, when aggression is your first tactic, you're the problem, no matter what ideology you subscribe to and that is the real issue. The issue is not belief, the issue is the obnoxious behaviour of some humans who use their ideology as a rationale to absolve them of being utter shits.
The thing that makes evil scary is that it always thinks it's doing good.
Indeed. Why I think it’s important to be somewhat apprehensive and circumspect about making claims or arguments with very little evidence to back them up ….

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Seriously, Phil, you must be the worst fucking paratrooper in the world.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Steersman wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Completely off-topic and because I want to crow - 3 weeks and 1 day without a cigarette. I've been on Chantix and using a vaping e-cig with 0 nicotine e-juice. Pretty proud of myself. The downside has been I've been drinking a tiny bit more in the afternoons but still - exercising and *not* smoking a regular cigarette is the end result :D

:clap: Congrats - although I found it rather easy to quit - why I did so dozens if not hundreds of times .... still periodically have the urge and even periodically indulge it even though I've been off them, more or less, for 5 years or more ....
Thanks :) I have been a smoker for 30 years and this is the first time I've actually been very serious about quitting. Chantix is not a drug to take lightly - there have been people who have had some really serious mental issues on this drug so I was really freaked out over taking it. So far, no problems other than slightly more vivid than usual dreams and being a lot more weepy watching "chick flicks". I figured after my husband having dealt with radiation therapy for cancer in the throat area (and not being a smoker ever in his life), it was time for me to just stop.

Hopefully I'll still be a non-smoker in the coming months and years :D

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

debaser71 wrote:Year after year after year after year of hearing "you should have kept your dick in your pants" might skew some people's thoughts on the recent SCOTUS decision. So IMO there's a huge "keep your knees together" aspect. I wouldn't expect decent conversation on this.
It's a combo of both :). In no way do I think women should lay the burden on men. But really? I'm left thinking that SCOTUS is thinking with their dicks (and to be honest, I realize that they understand it takes two to tango but the current law doesn't give a shit). In my mind it's keep your knees together and put your dick back in your pants.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Phil - saw your neck brace on FB and here. I hope you are doing well soon and will forever stay away from trampolines!!!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

greylurker wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Maybe the simplest thing to do is to relabel all of the public washrooms with images of either a penis or a vagina, and oblige people to use the one that matches their own "equipment" - which of course some 98% of the population already do .... apparently in any case ....
Nothing new under the sun, aboard a certain suction dredger...
[.attachment=1]DSC01520Z.jpg[/attachment]
[.attachment=0]DSC01525Z.jpg[/attachment]

Problem solved!
:lol: Reminds me of when a buddy and I were out drinking. I had gone to the loo and noticed that there were wooden cut-outs of several dogs - pointers and setters - on each of the washroom doors. I'd done my business and had gone back to our table, and then he decided he would check the facilities as well and I, somewhat jestingly, said that we were setters; as he was somewhat inebriated and didn't bother to think of the implications he went into the wrong one and was somewhat nonplussed to see several women there ....

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:Oh Sweet!

My cup overfloweth. I am dancing with joy!

Because apparently SB-967, was overwhelmingly approved by the State Assembly’s Committee on Higher Education on June 24. And now, reports legal expert Hans Bader, similar measures may be coming on a federal level.
In the end, Culp-Ressler’s argument boils down to this: A rule so murky that even its advocates aren’t sure exactly what it means or how it will work, and which allows virtually any sexual encounter to be reclassified as a violation after the fact, is not a problem because people can be trusted not to abuse it. What could possibly go wrong?
What indeed?

I just know I am going to be constantly entertained in the years to come. Woot!

(too bad about all the future victims of SB-967)
Unbelievable. Lord Acton - he of the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" - said something to the effect that it is "unwise" to pass a bad law on the assumption that no one will take advantage of the flaws in it or come to any grief because of them. Although I've never been able to find the specific quote.

In any case, looks to be an interesting article; maybe I'll take the opportunity to once again champion that iPhone App; maybe it will fare a little better than on that YouTube video where my comment linking to my AtheismPlus comment on it was deleted ....

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

@ Phil Giordana. My sympathies, though I'm surprised you didn't know trampolines were devised by a cabal of malevolent orthopaedists or is this all a ruse and you've actually got the part as Davros in the new season of Dr Who?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Oh look, another trio of cunts. I'm sure they'll have no problem in being taken seriously.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Really? wrote:
I daydream of SCOTUS deciding companies shouldn't have to pay for birth control because basing health care coverage on employment & the employers choices is so 20th century & it's time the US had universal health care.

Not that the 2nd part is in their purview. Also YMMV. :D

And high five on the decision your household made re Swedish vs UW for the coming year. Not that I'm biased or anything ;)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:
Opyt wrote:Phil:
<snip>
That should about sum it up.
I'm still a cunt.

Anyway, my new looks are courtesy of a trampoline accident. Yep! I broke C2 and damaged C3. Doctors say I was less than a millimeter away from death (they call C2 the Hanged Man's vertebrae). ... So it's goodbye skydiving and other fun physical activities for me. I'm not sure it's hit me yet.
Christ. Sorry to hear that Phil - but no skydiving, ever? That would be some serious suckage ....

In passing though, how did you manage to get off the trampoline afterwards? Were you paralyzed? Managed to make it to the doctor on your own steam? The human body is one remarkable piece of machinery, but it also tends to have a few "glass jaws" where minor stresses can cause serious damage ....