Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by deLurch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The only thing HJ Hornbeck is an expert on, is how to fap his micropenis using just the tips of his thumb and forefinger.
Stop being so hard on nan0boy.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Tangent: What's happenin in Iraq, right now, could be bigger than 9/11
Certainly getting VERY ugly. Before Obama announced that the US was sending "advisers" (remember Vietnam, anyone?) I predicted to my wife that there would once again be American boots on the ground before the end of the year, and combat troops by next wear.

Thanks, George Bush and Tony Blair. You stupid, lying CUNTS.
I fail to see this as a surprise as it was well known that Hussein was one of the few Tyrants keeping the religious lunatics in check even during Desert Storm, which was one of the reasons Bush Snr decided not to continue into Baghdad. To be honest I think that realising there was no victory conditions in Iraq and Afghanistan NATO strategists decided to destabilise the entire region to keep them fighting each other rather than engaging in atrocities in the West.

I'd be surprised if they sent in troops again without any western or "business interests" being attacked.
Of course it's no surprise.

One thing is that Obama literally has nothing personal to lose any more. He is a pretty failed and unmemorable POTUS, and if the Senate goes R later this year, he will have failed desperately badly. So he may decide to do a Samson.

The problem for the west is that history tells us that people in places like Iraq and Afghanistan prefer to be left alone with a certain misery provided the future is relatively predictable (see Afghanistan under the Sadozai, Egypt under the Mamelukes, the Ottoman empire, etc., etc.). It's been seen in the Middle East century after century after century. Remove the destabilizing influence of Enlightenment culture and life goes on. Hence the Islamists reduce the expectations and contact with the western world and rule with relative ease. OR, put a real strong man in place like Saddam and - again - make sure that minimum expectations are met and nobody other than opponents of the Big Guy are persecuted, and life is again stable.

External "Nation Building" doesn't work.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote: Because I *have* to, all too often read people's emails or monitor what they do as a part of my job, and it never, ever, ever feels good. It feels creepy as fuck, and I hate that I end up learning things about people that I have no business knowing. Things that they chose not to reveal to me, but to specific people and because they used a computer that they are expected to have with them effectively 24x7 to do so, now I know.
Well, it's not your fault you are reading personal stuff. Maybe I'm just really a tool of the bureaucratic culture after all these years, but I never, ever write anything even remotely personal on my .gov account. PC or Blackberry. I'm not even particularly chatty. I'm clear, concise, to the point, perhaps even a bit brusque in all my official communications. It would never even occur to me to tell someone what kind of weekend I had. I don't even access my Gmail, even though that is well within acceptable usage guidelines.

If someone wants to talk to me about stuff like that, that's why they have my personal cell phone number. It's not uncommon for someone to send me a by-the-book email and then, half a minute later a text message pops up telling me what they really think.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Southern wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:This has nothing to do with the latest FtB kerfuffle, but: I just pulled off one of the cheekiest moves ever in Hearthstone.

(If you don't play Hearthstone, feel free to ignore this. I was playing a Warlock and my opponent was a Druid.)

I had three cards left. He had almost no cards left in his deck. The match had been going on for, what, 30 minutes? I had been replenishing my health using sacrifical pact on my demons and I had 9 health left, he had 23. He had way more cards in his hand and saw I had only three, and by sheer luck I had managed to kill his minions (topdecking some siphon souls and shadow flames and some molten giants which I could play for free) and JUST when he had no cards left in his deck: Deathwing. All the cards in his hand (like seven); gone. He had used his trump card.

But wait. Three cards left in my hand, a few cards left in my deck, and he had no cards left in his hand or in his deck, so I used MY trump card: Deathwing.

And I laughed and I laughed and I laughed. Hahaha. Man. I should probably record my games. Would've been better to just show you.

(If you don't get any of this, don't worry about it. I just needed to share.)
This is for you, then:

[youtube]gHf003hIue4[/youtube]
Ha! That was cheeky, but mine was even cheekier! I wish they'll implement a game replay.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:This has nothing to do with the latest FtB kerfuffle, but: I just pulled off one of the cheekiest moves ever in Hearthstone.

(If you don't play Hearthstone, feel free to ignore this. I was playing a Warlock and my opponent was a Druid.)

I had three cards left. He had almost no cards left in his deck. The match had been going on for, what, 30 minutes? I had been replenishing my health using sacrifical pact on my demons and I had 9 health left, he had 23. He had way more cards in his hand and saw I had only three, and by sheer luck I had managed to kill his minions (topdecking some siphon souls and shadow flames and some molten giants which I could play for free) and JUST when he had no cards left in his deck: Deathwing. All the cards in his hand (like seven); gone. He had used his trump card.

But wait. Three cards left in my hand, a few cards left in my deck, and he had no cards left in his hand or in his deck, so I used MY trump card: Deathwing.

And I laughed and I laughed and I laughed. Hahaha. Man. I should probably record my games. Would've been better to just show you.

(If you don't get any of this, don't worry about it. I just needed to share.)
Well aren't you just the big swinging dick.

When I was young, I successfully masturbated to mental images of Mo, the elderly lead dancer from fat 1980s British dance troupe, the Roly Polys.

Beat that!
I fapped to this so much my penis stopped being a choad due to the erosion...

[youtube]yWIwSKlB3uE[/youtube]
Two words: Lazy. Town.

'Nuff said.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I think I showed you guys this rat with great PR before but here he is again. He does not show up every day but when it does there is no peace and quiet.
DSCF0650-640x640.jpg
(66.91 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I was told that if you level too high in Skyrim it's not much of a challenge. I'm level 42 I cannot beat that fucking dragon at the end!

Notice Me Senpai!

Post by Notice Me Senpai! »

So, I was always surprised that they let that ogvorbis in, due to him being a loss since anyone can rub that in their face when they want to call people rape apologists, accuse people of rape, call things sexual harassment, etc. But then I read this.
Is she just lying, or did the pit misrepresent?

"Ogvorbis is a Pharyngula commenter who was severely sexually abused as a child, including being made to abuse other children."
Did his abusers really make him abuse other children? I've heard of people being forced to recruit other kids. Did she make this up? I was always under the impression he just abused other children on his own without coercion or being made to, due to the pit. Never knew his username until now.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

*Notices Eucli*

welch

Post by welch »

Skep tickle wrote:
Snapfingers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
And Hornbeck has made it onto JREF. I may need to take a leave day to sort this out.
Are you going to take him up on his offer to collaborate? Could be interesting (unless it deterioates into e-mail date verification (which is IT-speak for palmistry).
http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p= ... count=4640
HJ Hornbeck wrote:...I've wound up skimming past a lot of Brive's handiwork. I'm rather impressed, you've put a lot of research and effort into the Stollznow case, and can speak with some authority on the matter.
He starts by buttering you up.
HJ Hornbeck wrote:We have quite different views on the legitimacy of the claims, admittedly, but that's given me an idea:

How'd you like to collaborate on an analysis of the Radford/Stollznow case with me?

We're both experts on this case, ...
Help me out here - where has Hornbeck displayed "expert[ise] on this case"? I recall he commented in at least one of Thibeault's posts on Radford (or, the Stollznow/Radford matter) but I'm not recalling "expertise" as characterizing the comment(s) of his that I saw. But I could be wrong, am delighted to reconsider. (HJ, you can post here as guest if there's something you'd like to offer to back this statement up.)
HJ Hornbeck wrote:... and our divergent views will force us to consider alternatives that we'd never entertain alone.
Well, it'll point out where there are differences, otherwise (am I being too cynical here?) I'm guessing it'll just point out to Brive1987 where he might have to compromise with Hornbeck's "interpretations" if Brive1987 wants to try to come out with a joint product. For example whether or not Brive minds including conspiracy-theory-level explanations for data points & time lines in the final. Buy, hey, maybe I'm just being too cynical here.
HJ Hornbeck wrote:The result will be the most authoritative opinion out there, more so than either of us could accomplish on our own.

One that should sway minds.
Just like HJ's "skeptical" evaluation of feminism, & arguments for nonexistence of sexual dimorphism, did. Uh hunh.

Still, it could be interesting to see what HJ comes up with, hopefully in more detail than his handwaving (as I recall) at Thibeault's, to explain away Radford's data dump.

Oh dear lord, Hornbeck wants to be an expert on this too?

That boy's ego is impressive. Stupid, but impressive.

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
welch wrote: Because I *have* to, all too often read people's emails or monitor what they do as a part of my job, and it never, ever, ever feels good. It feels creepy as fuck, and I hate that I end up learning things about people that I have no business knowing. Things that they chose not to reveal to me, but to specific people and because they used a computer that they are expected to have with them effectively 24x7 to do so, now I know.
Well, it's not your fault you are reading personal stuff. Maybe I'm just really a tool of the bureaucratic culture after all these years, but I never, ever write anything even remotely personal on my .gov account. PC or Blackberry. I'm not even particularly chatty. I'm clear, concise, to the point, perhaps even a bit brusque in all my official communications. It would never even occur to me to tell someone what kind of weekend I had. I don't even access my Gmail, even though that is well within acceptable usage guidelines.

If someone wants to talk to me about stuff like that, that's why they have my personal cell phone number. It's not uncommon for someone to send me a by-the-book email and then, half a minute later a text message pops up telling me what they really think.
You occasionally get to go home as it were. This is a crowd of kids, just out of college who are essentially working seven days a week, who maybe get three days a year when they aren't checking work. Corporate america at its finest. So because they have this laptop with them 24x7, they, unsurprisingly, don't keep a separate computer just for personal stuff. Given how often they're expected to like this or that on facebook for various work reasons, I'm unsure such a thing is even possible. There's really no difference between home and work for them, or a lot of people anymore.

unless it's inconvenient for the corporate masters.

sigh.

Notice Me Senpai!

ROBOKiTTY wrote:*Notices Eucli*
Oh, thank-you very much, Senpai. Who are you again?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Notice Me Senpai! wrote:So, I was always surprised that they let that ogvorbis in, due to him being a loss since anyone can rub that in their face when they want to call people rape apologists, accuse people of rape, call things sexual harassment, etc. But then I read this.

"Ogvorbis is a Pharyngula commenter who was severely sexually abused as a child, including being made to abuse other children."
Did his abusers really make him abuse other children? I've heard of people being forced to recruit other kids. Did she make this up? I was always under the impression he just abused other children on his own without coercion or being made to, due to the pit. Never knew his username until now.
Here's what we don't know: if it is true.

Here's what we DO know: that it's a "recovered memory" (or so Oggie claims) and it was apparently something that he'd suppressed, though he seems to be able to retell it with exact details. In one instance, he says he was eight years old (or six, whichever) in the boy scouts and one of his instructors sexually abused him and forced him to sexually abuse someone younger than him. Then, years later, in another instance when he was twelve, he was supposed to babysit three girls (younger than him, roughly in the same age as the one he was forced to abuse in the boy scouts) and when he came upon two of the three girls abusing one of the other and they asked him to "join in" (his words), he accepted and that is when he, and I'm quoting verbatim, "didn't stop before raping three young girls ..." This from his own words. He said he was "older", he said the age difference was "even greater", and he said he "knew it was wrong" as he "joined in" but it was "what he was used to."

So one instance where he was both sexually abused and forced to sexually abuse another, and one time where he CHOSE HIMSELF to sexually abuse (or RAPE, in his own words) others (three young girls) OF HIS OWN VOLITION. On that second instance, that, to me, does not sound like he was a victim of circumstance. He did it himself, he knew it was wrong but he did it anyway. That makes him a confessed rapist of his own admission and the bloggers at FtB protect and coddle him, even offer for him to BABYSIT THEIR CHILDREN.

But again, it could all be a bunch of bullshit. We just don't know. He's had several "recovered" memories since and as far as we know, it could just be a massive, attention-seeking, convoluted cry for sympathy. Whatever the case is, he's still a cunt and will always be a cunt. Cunt.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Notice Me Senpai! wrote:So, I was always surprised that they let that ogvorbis in, due to him being a loss since anyone can rub that in their face when they want to call people rape apologists, accuse people of rape, call things sexual harassment, etc. But then I read this.

My impression, such as it is, is that portion is true, but later in life where he did turn around and abuse children without being coerced. Would really have to check for yourself, or get someone a bit more in touch with it to give you a proper response.
I know that "he was coerced into doing it" has come up, but I'm pretty sure there were also later instances where it came up while he wasn't being coerced.

Post by Guest »

Why did they make that offer? Was he complaining about not being able to babysit kids?

And in this case, if it's even true what he said, it sounds like he would've abused anyone, kid or adult. In that case he was a kid with 3 other kids... If he was an adult with two women abusing some other woman, he could've joined in on that. If he's a danger, it's to women, or many any female. He doesn't sound like he has a particular fetish for kids. But it would still be very strange to have him babysit my kids, not that I have any, and think about that. Shudder.

I wonder if he's just a troll or if this is legit...

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

katamari Damassi wrote:I was told that if you level too high in Skyrim it's not much of a challenge. I'm level 42 I cannot beat that fucking dragon at the end!
Thank goodness it's not like in Oblivion. In that game, if you accidentally levelled too high, you wouldn't be able to progress through the first stages because the enemies would all be wearing either Ebony or Daedric armour while you'd still be running around with some hunk of steel you got at the prison.

But they still managed to make melee combat way too weak in Skyrim. Unless you carry a two-hander and have a shitload of stamina, with enchantments on your gear to boot, when you get to levels above 25, you're toast. You can kill bandits and wolves, no problem. But dragons become fucking unbearable, and Alduin? Oddly enough, though, as a mage, it's a breeze. Get as many destruction spells as you can, level enchanting to full, get some grand soul gems and enchant each armour piece so the destruction spells are 100% free and you're set.

As a melee, you'd be able to get, what, just over 100 damage, maybe 200 if you enchant your gear? As a mage, you can get double that, nay, TRIPLE that, in less time, with less effort, and you don't even have to farm material to get your smithing up to snuff. Get alteration up high enough so you can get the mage armour perk, and it'd double the amount of damage you can absorb by using Oakflesh or Stoneflesh. You wouldn't need it, though, since you'd just be able to spam master level destruction spells. Somewhat ridiculous to say the least.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Interesting on Pit opinion on this: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/ope ... zsiol.html

Opera Australia has released soprano Tamar Iveri from her contract following a furore over "unconscionable" homophobic comments posted on the singer's Facebook page.

I think firing her is well fucked up.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

rayshul wrote:Interesting on Pit opinion on this: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/ope ... zsiol.html

Opera Australia has released soprano Tamar Iveri from her contract following a furore over "unconscionable" homophobic comments posted on the singer's Facebook page.

I would have sacked her for the excuse of "why husband changed the original letter" alone. She then claims her husband posted it on her Facebook page. What's he doing with her account password? Married people shit me to tears.

There would be a consideral number of Gay & Lesbian subscribers to Opera Australia and that left OA with not much they can do.

This is splash damage control in action.

However...if it was a Prominant Rugby League Player he would have been susended for a couple of weeks while he attends a "Be Nice to Queer" councelling lessons. (Done online I would guess).

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Lsuoma wrote: Of course it's no surprise.

One thing is that Obama literally has nothing personal to lose any more. He is a pretty failed and unmemorable POTUS, and if the Senate goes R later this year, he will have failed desperately badly. So he may decide to do a Samson.
That's a very good point, tactically the dems and the repubs have always liked to fuck each over at the end of their terms when they can.
Lsuoma wrote: External "Nation Building" doesn't work.
Agreed.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

*snorts* Hjornbeck is an "expert"? Ahahahahahahaha. I don't think there's enough hubris to cover both his and the rest of the world's.

An "expert"! Hahaha! I am pissing myself! :laughing-rolling: Where's the laugh so hard you piss yourself emoticon?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

TheMan wrote:
rayshul wrote:Interesting on Pit opinion on this: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/ope ... zsiol.html

I would have sacked her for the excuse of "why husband changed the original letter" alone. She then claims her husband posted it on her Facebook page. What's he doing with her account password? Married people shit me to tears.

There would be a consideral number of Gay & Lesbian subscribers to Opera Australia and that left OA with not much they can do.

However...if it was a Prominant Rugby League Player he would have been susended for a couple of weeks while he attends a "Be Nice to Queer" councelling lessons. (Done online I would guess).

People usually don't log in and log out each time they use facebook. Her husband could have easily just opened facebook, made a post and not realized he'd done it on her (already logged in) account. Or he could just be an asshole who used her account without her permission in order to get more publicity.
The anti-gay movement in Georgia is insane compared to the vast majority of anti-gay sentiment in the west - and this includes the bible belt of the US.

Here's a video of a violent protest against a gay rights march in Georgia just last year:

[youtube]0NErcgqgYeE[/youtube]

I think she did need to dissasociate herself from such actions - and I guess the message posted to her facebook certainly looked like her views were in tune with those of the violent protesters. The article doesn't state what she really feels about gay people - she is blaming her husband for changing her words but perhaps the words were still anti-gay, just without the comparison to shit.

Is it correct to fire someone for having such views in the first place?
Considering that she is working for a company that needs to sell tickets to the wider community and which doesn't want the focus of media attention to be about their apparent condoning a bigot in their ranks, I think it is understandable that they may take a valid commercial decision to fire her IF she insists on making those views public.

If her views are kept private then I see no reason to fire her.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

welch wrote: if you're going to expect me to take you seriously when you try to tell me that FTB is EXACTLY like Scientology, and is EXACTLY as bad, you're going to have to provide a lot more proof.
Yeah, that is EXACTLY what I said. /sarcasm

Richard Dworkins

I don't and although I have argued before that people should not be fired or dismissed because of unpopular or politically inconvenient opinions, she works in an industry which has many many homosexual people in it and to refer to her colleagues faeces is obviously going to be a problem. There is no reasonable thought behind those words, it is not an argument, it is just utter contempt and I think in most workplaces someone being so publicly obnoxious about people which includes their fellow employees would face similar repercussions.

It would be like working for a homeless charity and calling the homeless useless eaters or working as a rape counsellor and publicly declaring that the cockteasing bitches were gagging for it.

Richard Dworkins

Pitchguest wrote:*snorts* Hjornbeck is an "expert"? Ahahahahahahaha. I don't think there's enough hubris to cover both his and the rest of the world's.

An "expert"! Hahaha! I am pissing myself! :laughing-rolling: Where's the laugh so hard you piss yourself emoticon?
An expert is a social construction. He self identifies as an expert hence...

Actually the way to discuss anything with him is to just deny the reality of anything he says. "Sexual harrassment is a social construction, thus any judgement you make on interactions between Radford and Stollznow must be dismissed as subjective predjudice, thus nothing you can say has any value." etc.

Post by Guest »

^ What a mob, re that anti-gay crowd video. I agree, no reason to fire her if she has anti-gay thoughts in private.

On a more random note, I have made an account at Stormfront, but it's so hard to read sometimes. I just need a pat on the shoulder sometimes. I don't know which is worse, SJWs or these people. Just read a thread involving someone asking for advice on their non-white half sister raised by both his white parents ( of course they are probably giving him shitty advice , so far people saying her misbehavior is expected, that they would never associate with their mother if they made a baby with a non-white, wouldn't consider her a sibling, but I didn't read the entire thread. )

Another thread about "Smart" in quotes Black people featuring someone going on about a topofclass black student. OP doesn't know whether to hate him or respect him. Some are gawking at the possibility, one says he shouldn't hate him, others say, and are 100% serious when they say it, that he should take other "intelligent blacks" over to Africa to help out his people.
These aren't trolls, the tone is sincere, all these people are serious when they say he should go to Africa and help out his people.
Another popular reply is that he will want to help out "his own people" rather than white people, or probably dislikes white people, etc. Basically generalizing black people as having a mindset similar to their own.

>WNs that bitch & moan about untamed, uncivilized, inferior gorillas populating their "homeland."
>Finds a "rare" intelligent black person, says he should go to Africa and help them out rather than helping the horrid gorillas bothering WNs in America.
What???
Where do these people come from...

I also don't get why they want to discourage each other from calling themselves or family "racist," and rather use the word "pro-white." What's wrong with calling it what it is? They are communicating that their family dislikes black people, in this example. If that's not racist, what is?

And they say all kinds of things about Jews on there. They will say that Jews are behind literally anything. Jews tend to be behind LGBT clubs at school to "make white people less moral," Jews are controlling the tellie and putting liberal shit everywhere, etc.
Honestly some of what they're saying sounds good anyway, but haha, not to them. If I were a gold digger I would definitely be searching for Jews with the things they say. Some of the things they say Jews are like actually sound pretty good, like "Jews are always the ones pushing liberal crap."
I've also heard a rumor that rabid SJW writers tend to have Jewish sounding last names, which is probably bullshit.
SMH.

TL;DR - People on Stormfront both intrigue and depress me.
/end rant

Notice Me Senpai!

^^ Sorry, the guest above was me. Forgot to put my signature username on it ;)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

There's a funny situation happening on twitter regarding Martin Robbins, the UK based writer for the Guardian and SJW ally of the Skepchick/FTB horde.

I haven't seen the full story but he's gotten into a fight with the blockbot bunch over womens shelters and transgendered individuals.
He pointed out the fact that a transgendered woman can be physically indistinguishable from a man in a dress (and if you've ever seen pictures of half the blockbot blockers you'd know that this is not far from the truth - in fact Robbins looks far more feminine than most of them.)

This has caused a freakout (what a fucking shock!)

http://elevatorgate.wordpress.com/2014/ ... um=twitter

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Strawkins, just remember the golden truth of SJW feminism:

They will always eat their own.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Two separate occasion. The first time, Ogvorbis abused other children at the behest of other leaders according to him. At another later time, as a teen and a baby sitter, he abused 2-3 young girls in his charge that he was watching.

No one here is going to blame him for the first round. He was too young and was being coerced by an adult leader.

The 2nd time, HE was the responsible party in charge. Someone here has done some research, and according to a study, the vast majority of children who have been abused do not go on to abuse other people or children.

Notice Me Senpai!

What exactly was he trying to say here? Was he trying to say that non-transitioned transgender women will have trouble getting into shelters? (which if he said those words.. man in a dress, that can be a bit insensitive, lol)? Or was he saying that women's shelter are turning away transgender women that haven't transitioned?

lol @ "If you think a transgender woman is anything like a man in a dress." Um yeeess, they look exactly the same if they haven't started their transition. Identifying as a woman doesn't suddenly make you look more feminine.

James Caruthers

Yeah, Zvan et al just conveniently forget that second instance, where he was acting under his own volition with no adult influence.

Perhaps Oggie was damaged and there are extenuating circumstances which would have reduced his sentence drastically. BUT he still should have been taken to court to face a judge who was qualified to rule on his case. Oggie's victims never received any kind of justice.

If they exist. Oggie is a masterful bullshitter and sympathy fisher and, like Avicenna, seems to somehow be able to be all things to all people at all times, provided he can snag a bit of backrubbing out of the deal.

Notice Me Senpai!

deLurch wrote:
Two separate occasion. The first time, Ogvorbis abused other children at the behest of other leaders according to him. At another later time, as a teen and a baby sitter, he abused 2-3 young girls in his charge that he was watching.

No one here is going to blame him for the first round. He was too young and was being coerced by an adult leader.

The 2nd time, HE was the responsible party in charge. Someone here has done some research, and according to a study, the vast majority of children who have been abused do not go on to abuse other people or children.
Even if the vast majority aren't caught abusing others, it's not hard to see a 12 year old who had been abused decide to join in when two other girls are abusing another girl, imo. I'm not all that surprised. It was too early to have him babysitting, with.. abusive girls? I'm guessing the one in charge didn't know about those girls or him.

I wonder what the initiators the 2nd time around, and he, are like today..

Notice Me Senpai!

James Caruthers wrote:Yeah, Zvan et al just conveniently forget that second instance, where he was acting under his own volition with no adult influence.

Perhaps Oggie was damaged and there are extenuating circumstances which would have reduced his sentence drastically. BUT he still should have been taken to court to face a judge who was qualified to rule on his case. Oggie's victims never received any kind of justice.

If they exist. Oggie is a masterful bullshitter and sympathy fisher and, like Avicenna, seems to somehow be able to be all things to all people at all times, provided he can snag a bit of backrubbing out of the deal.
There was only one victim who wasn't abusing the other, right? You mean he should've been taken to court by FTB? Where the hell would the find the other girls? There have to be victims willing to say anything.. I would be very uncomfortable with the justice system if someone could be jailed because they claimed something on their blog, no evidence, no nothing..

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

TheMan wrote:

I agree with the Opera house's decision. The singer is/was a lead draw to the Opera house for the performance. If her public words & comments then push people away from the Opera, they have every reason to dump her.

Now with the hypothetical Rugby player, I would agree with that approach too as they think it will not affect attendance that much. If I was an employer, I would not like to fire any individual over a single bad comment. But at minimum a discussion would be had. If it kept on recurring, THEN I would off the person.

James Caruthers

Notice Me Senpai! wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Yeah, Zvan et al just conveniently forget that second instance, where he was acting under his own volition with no adult influence.

There was only one victim who wasn't abusing the other, right? You mean he should've been taken to court by FTB? Where the hell would the find the other girls? There have to be victims willing to say anything.. I would be very uncomfortable with the justice system if someone could be jailed because they claimed something on their blog, no evidence, no nothing..
No, I mean, if he actually did something, and he really does believe that he did rape those girls, then he should come forward and they should track the victims down to confirm his story, then a judge should rule, taking for consideration any extenuating circumstances and the statute of limitations.

If one of the girls started abusing the other and he joined in, he was, by his own admission, still the oldest child in the room (iirc.) Maybe I just had a WACKY AND WEIRD childhood, but I knew at age 12 that sexually abusing a 6 year-old child was morally wrong. My personality now is not so very much different from myself at age 12, minus the shitty adolescent drama we all have to deal with.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Notice Me Senpai! wrote:What exactly was he trying to say here? Was he trying to say that non-transitioned transgender women will have trouble getting into shelters? (which if he said those words.. man in a dress, that can be a bit insensitive, lol)? Or was he saying that women's shelter are turning away transgender women that haven't transitioned?

lol @ "If you think a transgender woman is anything like a man in a dress." Um yeeess, they look exactly the same if they haven't started their transition. Identifying as a woman doesn't suddenly make you look more feminine.
I haven't seen the entire argument but I think he's basing his views on the idea of a 'safe space' for women who require shelter following domestic violence.
I think he's saying that these women have irrational fears (and presumably, since they've been abused, rational fears too) that mean they need to be in a place where there is no chance that they could be raped (by a man). Since a pre-op transexual is still capable of raping a woman - and many of them are sexually attracted to women (for example Zinnia Jones), there is a view at some shelters that such individuals will make a safe space impossible to achieve.
Robbins points out that since some transwomen look like men in dresses this will make some women scared. He also gives an example of a man dressing up as a woman in order to access such a womens shelter.

I think his basic point is that one person's safe space is not going to be another person's safe space.
But, of course, we've seen recently with the 'transphobic/fatphobic if you refuse to find me sexually attractive' crowds that taking their arguments to it's logical conclusion does tend to destroy the notion that people can have agency/preferences of their own without offending someone.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I'm glad Eucli is back.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

James Caruthers wrote:There was only one victim who wasn't abusing the other, right? You mean he should've been taken to court by FTB? Where the hell would the find the other girls? There have to be victims willing to say anything.. I would be very uncomfortable with the justice system if someone could be jailed because they claimed something on their blog, no evidence, no nothing..
No, I mean, if he actually did something, and he really does believe that he did rape those girls, then he should come forward and they should track the victims down to confirm his story, then a judge should rule, taking for consideration any extenuating circumstances and the statute of limitations.

If one of the girls started abusing the other and he joined in, he was, by his own admission, still the oldest child in the room (iirc.) Maybe I just had a WACKY AND WEIRD childhood, but I knew at age 12 that sexually abusing a 6 year-old child was morally wrong. My personality now is not so very much different from myself at age 12, minus the shitty adolescent drama we all have to deal with.[/quote]

The extent of the "abuse" in the 2nd scenario is the younger 4-5 year old was tied up naked by her older sister. Kid games. It took Ogvorbis the baby sitter extrodinare to walk in and decide it was sexy time for both of them.

Post by Guest »

Relativity doesn't matter, it's about the objective age. Not that I was saying he was too young. But if it was 6 year olds abusing newborns, if 6 isn't old enough to know not to abuse peers, it's not old enough to know not to abuse newborns.
I, personally, hold it against the other girls to a degree myself.

Say he did that, if the victims don't want anything done, he shouldn't force it on them, thus 'raping' them that way. I think the chances of him doing that whether he did it or not are pretty low.

Crossing my fingers for the healing of them all~
I had a family peer force themselves on me, I am doing alright, so maybe they are... depending on what it was like. I can only speak for myself. My justice was that they good a whooping, lol. The mother, an aunt, didn't even look surprised. I was very young but I was expecting her to look surprised. I knew about sex and all that back then. I can't remember a time I didn't know about sexual activity. It wasn't my parents' doing; they weren't aware of my awareness... but I wonder who the hell gave it to me? o.O

Notice Me Senpai!

Relativity doesn't matter, it's about the objective age. Not that I was saying he was too young. But if it was 6 year olds abusing newborns, if 6 isn't old enough to know not to abuse peers, it's not old enough to know not to abuse newborns.

Say he did that, if the victims don't want anything done, he shouldn't force it on them, thus 'raping' them that way. I think the chances of him doing that whether he did it or not are pretty low.

I had a family peer force themselves on me, I am doing alright, so maybe they are... depending on what it was like. I can only speak for myself. My justice was that they good a whooping, lol. The mother, an aunt, didn't even look surprised. I was very young but I was expecting her to look surprised. I knew about sex and all that back then. I can't remember a time I didn't know about sexual activity. It wasn't my parents' doing; they weren't aware of my awareness... but I wonder who the hell gave it to me? o.O

Notice Me Senpai!

...?!?!??!?!?!?!
I am sorry, but I don't know how that happened.

Notice Me Senpai!

...?!?!??!?!?!?!
I am sorry, but I don't know how that happened.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Notice:
Double posts happen, especially without a *)#(ing edit button :D
Glad someone was able to reiterate what I suspected was the story though.

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

I will note that the only reason we have to believe Oggy was 12 at the time is his word. It sounds like a detail a rapist would add to a story in order to exonerate himself.
I am not saying I know that's what happened. My point is that whether it happened or not and what age he was at the time is a question for the police to investigate and the court to decide. It is not for the FTB backchannel to decide.

PZ should doxx Oggy so that we can see to it that he is reported to the authorities (I do not trust PZ to do it himself).

PZ has said before that he will doxx anyone that he regards as a "Shithead". I would think that a self described child rapist would qualify as at least a "Shithead".

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Skep tickle wrote:
John Greg wrote:We're all familiar with the terror and excitement of The Wrath of Khan. Behold! I've attracted The Sneer of Peez: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... e-an-ally/

Watch while I tremble in my rage filled boots! Cheer as I drown in my raging tears! Oh. Woe. Is. Me.
What an iilustrative post & comment thread.

PZ posts a link & brief summary of Miri's post, then ends by Warning his Followers away from Bad Influences: "Don’t read the comments, though. They’ve been taken over by a slymepitter..."

First comment is by PZ, Reminding his Readers about Appropriate Behavior: "Also, don’t argue with the commenter. That doesn’t help."

2nd comment, 2 hrs later, is by "twas brillig (stevem)" (so, male?), who apparently Goes Off Message in referring to Miri's post thusly:
... Reading that blog, informative, leaves me speechless. What can one say, sympathetically, to the statement that sympathy is offensive and useless? sheesh, me doing it here. me speechless.
anyway…
(I didn't read his comment as criticizing Miri, just as an opinion. But apparently I was wrong).

Miri jumps in 1 minute after twas brilling's comment to Passive-Aggressively Signal that twas brillig's response fell Outside the Acceptable Bounds:
What can one say, sympathetically, to the statement that sympathy is offensive and useless?
Is that a deliberate strawman, or an accidental one?
There are a couple of other comments by others, then tashaturner weighs in kind of echoing PZ's don't-comment warning:
It’s always hard to decide how much to feed/not feed trolls and jerks. Unfortunately once people engage its hard to stop the waterfall affect [sic] unless you ban them quickly.
(Miri went on to stop johngreg's comments from getting through, at some point - and ban johngreg, too? I missed that detail.)

Two hours after twas brillig's post, twas brillig (stevem) gets Publicly Shamed, then Re-Educated on Appropriate Behavior, by Cainaji:
You’ve been hanging out here long enough to know better. I get the impression you haven’t spent much time listening, focusing more on what you’ll say about any given subject. It’s not as if discussions about sexism, misogyny, harassment, so-called jokes, sexual assault and rape are incredibly rare here.

It’s right there to see, that those of us who have been subjected to to those things ^ aren’t looking for pats on the head, cookies, or useless expressions of sympathy. As Miri said, what does matter is when people let us know we’ve had an impact, when we’ve helped people learn. Expressions of empathy are one thing, but the standard sympathy lines invoke pity more than anything else, and that is not fucking helpful in any way, shape, or form.

If you don’t know what to say, don’t say anything. If you want to say something, say something on point and helpful, such as “thanks for helping to educate me about these things” or “I didn’t realize ____, your point of view made me much more aware of _____”.

At some point, you need to recognize your penchant for obtuseness in certain subjects, and work very hard to overcome it. Listen more, and try to learn.
Couple of others weigh in, in the same vein but shorter (& without the Moral Authority of Cainaji).

Finally, 4 hours after Cainaji's post, twasbrillig posts, starts by Claiming (or Reminding Group of) His Own Damaged Status, then Displaying Submission (rolls over, shows belly, etc):
Apologies for my lame, muttering, preamble to the “offtopic” question. You may be right that I completely missed the suggestions of how to show sympathy without being unintentially offensive. All I got was the “better say nothing, than try to make light of it, …”
Just to try to explain where I’m coming from; my experience as a Brain Injury Survivor and experiencing the support group experience… often the group talks about how to communicate and MIScommunicate. The first example is someone greeting a survivor, trying to cheer him with, “Wow, you look great!” The group tries to council on our response, when we feel, “Maybe I look good, but I’m NOT, you may think I show no signs of the damage, BUT you’re WRONG. etc. etc. My takeaway is that it is better to say nothing and just listen. That’s what I was attempting to illustrate with my ineptitude.
TLDR: You’re right. I am sorry for misspeaking.
#NotACult #HonestGuv

Notice Me Senpai!

Tony Parsehole wrote:I'm glad Eucli is back.
:'( Aw... I think I'm tearing up. Hug?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Oh my non existent God. On the Atheism Plus forum, ischemgeek started a thread about the #yourslipisshowing hashtag. It's...it's a thing of beauty in its madness.

Highlights:
SubMor wrote:I just don't get why anyone would find that an enjoyable way to spend their time. Dafuq?
A forum moderator who doesn't understands why trolls troll. Great start. But wait, this is only the beginning.
Great American Satan wrote:I'm calling this a COINTELBRO op. Color me unsurprised. And it's reassuring in a way that the good guys are so reasonable that the bad guys have to resort to trickery to make them look bad. Sometimes it's easy to think progressives are too fractious and self-absorbed to make headway. This is happening because progressives are starting to get shit done.

CIA did it! Those nasty bastards, when they're not too busy trampling rights and overthrowing socialist paradises, moonlight as Twitter trolls.But again, this isn't nearly as funny as what follows.
Kassiane wrote:Blaming 4chan isn't actually always the simplest explanation. Though it sure got skepchick off the hook, saying that obviously no one is really against ableism so it must be 4chan.
Kassiane wrote:Skepchick accused me & chem of being 4chan false flag agents. Tell me again how this is correct.
So people at Skepchick believe that the "let's ban the word stupid" shenanigans was 4chan trolling. And the A-Plussers have accused of being 4chan trolls. No, wait, not trolls. "4chan false flag agents". Oh you Becky and your wacky ableist paranoia!

If 4chan keeps trolling them just a little bit more, the SJWs will destroy each other. Everyone will believe that the others are trolls, bans will be issued, blogs will collapse, and the SJW movement will implode.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 499932.jpg

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

This just in:
[cue Bill Conti's Gonna Fly Now ]
The Cagefight is on!

Looks like Brive and Hornbeck are going to walk the walk. It will be a match (by Proxy) between CisheteroRapistHate and FeminaziBorderlineFalseRapeAccusations.

In the one corner we, at 230 lbs we have the uuuuundefeated Truthseeker, Shitstirrer Extraordinaire, MRA to end all MRAs: Briiiiiiiiiive

Originally Posted by Brive1987:
Full disclosure - I post on the 'Pit and believe (as a generalisation) SJ commentators are constrained by ideology in both approach and definition of base terms. Esp with harassment and assault - where there appears to be limited scope for a spectrum or nuance of real world interaction.

In the other corner weighting in at 80 lbs, we have the SocialJustice Hero, HJ "Whiteknight" Hornbeck,

Posted by HJHornbeck:
And I'm a hardcore third-wave intersectional feminist who mostly hangs around FtB. We seem almost exactly opposed, which should make for an excellent end product.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Bookies set the odds at:
Brive 1:1200
HJHornbeck 1:1300
A bloody mess where both parties declare victory and are applauded by their own cliques: 1:1.00002

Darren

Post by Darren »

Not sure if anyone has spotted this, since I'm too far behind, but I just googled "poll pharyngulation" to see when PZ last tried to pull this trick and, surprise, surprise, it was just a few days ago:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... of-a-poll/

At first I was impressed - the poll stands at 25% "yes" (the "bad" opinion) and 75% "no". Then I read his post. What did the poll stand at when he posted it?

25% "yes" and 75% "no". Seriously.

Comment #15 tells us it's at 16% / 84% after 1969 votes.

Comment #32 announces the poll has been "pharyngulated" with a 17% / 83% split, which is - ironically - lower than the peak of 84%

It has since returned to 25% / 75% with 13614 votes.

If we assume that:

a) Only pharyngulites voted between PZ's initial posting and the peak of 84%; and
b) They all voted "correctly" (ie: "No")

The number of votes prior to pharyngulation would be 1260, with a 315/945 vote split (25% / 75%). At the pharyngulation's climax, the number of votes was 1969, with a 315/1654 vote split (16% / 84%). This represents a flux of 709 pharyngulites over a period of 3 hours and 15 minutes, or 218 pharyngulites per hour (PPH), assuming our assumptions are correct.

To compare this to a pharyngulation on a similar subject (homeopathy) from PZ's heyday:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009 ... this-poll/

In this one PZ and his commentariat kindly provide us with the vote breakdowns, avoiding the need for extrapolation:
PZ wrote:Yes (71.4 %) 1484 votes
No (13.3 %) 276 votes
Can’t say (2.3 %) 47 votes
Yes, but won’t be allowed to! (13.0 %) 271 votes
Comment #221 wrote:Yes (16.2 %) 1779 votes
No (80.0 %) 8782 votes
Can’t say (0.8 %) 83 votes
Yes, but won’t be allowed to! (3.0 %) 327 votes
So, in the vicinity of 8,500 pharyngulated votes. Unfortunately, ScienceBlogs does not provide us with posting times - only dates. Since PZ's OP was May 1, 2009 and the last provided vote breakdown, at comment #221, occurred on May 2, this gives us a lower bound on the PPH of 177 (based on 48 hours), albeit sustained over a much longer period of time. Note that comment #221 is one of the first comments on May 2, so the likely time span is much less than 24 hours, possibly pushing the PPH over 400.

What does this prove? Nothing. QED.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Some Lurker wrote:I will note that the only reason we have to believe Oggy was 12 at the time is his word. It sounds like a detail a rapist would add to a story in order to exonerate himself.
I am not saying I know that's what happened. My point is that whether it happened or not and what age he was at the time is a question for the police to investigate and the court to decide. It is not for the FTB backchannel to decide.

PZ should doxx Oggy so that we can see to it that he is reported to the authorities (I do not trust PZ to do it himself).

PZ has said before that he will doxx anyone that he regards as a "Shithead". I would think that a self described child rapist would qualify as at least a "Shithead".
I don't think most people here held Ogvorbis to the type of accountability we would have if he'd been an adult at the time of the rapes. The main criticism was against the pharyngula horde who completely ditched their 'think of the victims' stance once one of their own was involved.
Even Elyse Anders (the thread in which Oggy made his confession was following a post about Elyse Anders experiences of rape) commented that the behavior was sickening (or words to that effect.)

We have no idea what happened with the three girls he was babysitting/raping. He might be making it all up for sympathy (recovered memories) or it might be far worse than he is admitting. We have no way of knowing.
All we can know is that he has presented a situation involving three young girls getting abused.
What is telling is the complete lack of empathy by the pharyngula horde towards these three girls.
Their reaction in the original thread was to tell Oggy that he bears no resonsibility for his choices - that his prior abuse made such behavior understandable and even excusable.
But a lot of abusers have themselves been abused (although they themselves are a small proportion of the numbers of individuals abused as children.) We still, however, hold them to account for their actions.
As Elyse demonstrated, this attitude of discounting the seriousness of Ogvorbis's actions (and even offering their children to him to babysit!), is bound to upset some people who were themselves victims in similar circumstances.

What is also telling is the obstinate refusal to commit to memory Oggy's story of the three rapes, while at the same time vividly remembering his story about his earlier abuse by a scoutmaster.
The pitters have pointed out the fact that there were two incidents rather than one, so many times that I cannot accept that it is simply ignorance on the horde's part. To me, it seems that it is a conscious decision to try to portray the pitters as simply talking about the earlier scoutmaster incident and victim blaming Oggy for this earlier abuse.
It is a thoroughly dishonest argument for them to pursue.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Mykeru wrote:
Tribble wrote: PZ Myers, and a few others, have released (or have threatened to release ) information on a number of detractors. I think it was Laden who was so inept at it that he doxxed Mykeru's ex-wife thinking he was getting him. I think Svan also threatened to dox Mykeru, dropping his real first name and letting everyone know he worked for the Government. She also threated to tell his boss that he was doing his Mykeru Media on government computers (even though she had zero proof).
They can make any bullshit claim they want. Our desktops at work are in lock-down. One cannot simply install unapproved programs without extensive administrative privileges and even then one has to get security permissions, almost one a case-by-case basis. When we use Web-EX (or rather, an outside venue wants to use it because they are Luddites) we have to submit a request to IT security 24 hours in advance.

Just last week I was asked by the bosses' boss -- while we were outside having a smoke-- if I could download a work associated partnering video off YouTube. I did, but I had to do it from home on this computer I'm using right now using YT Downloader Pro, load it onto Google Drive and then put it on a shared drive. We just don't have, and can't have, the necessary programs on our computers.

We can't even charge unapproved devices via USB. You can plug it in, but it will be ignored. It will also generate an alert. Let me explain how IT security works in a security environment: They strangle you until you turn blue and nothing works and then, maybe then, they ease off your neck a bit.

So the usual gang of idiots can make any claim they want about my supposedly doing my videos at work. But they do it as a lie for the consumption of their idiot followers, not as a way to make a real threat.

TL:DR: On a U.S. government computer with monitoring, security and clearances up the wazoo? Get fucking serious.
I know. Which is why it was ludicrous. Yet she was making the threats out of her complete ignorance.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

katamari Damassi wrote:I was told that if you level too high in Skyrim it's not much of a challenge. I'm level 42 I cannot beat that fucking dragon at the end!
I'm assuming you're doing the Throat of the World fight with you, Alduin and Parthanax. Lots of health, stamina and magic potions. Damage mitigation potions (fire) are very helpful, too. Still, stay out of the way of his breath weapon, keep him pinned down. Also, he's the one with the blue fire surrounding him if you're having trouble picking out which dragon to bring down and fight.

Of the throat fight, the first five+ minutes there's going to be dialog, etc., and you're just not going to get in any damage but YOU'LL be damaged. So dash in to move the plot along, but really try to stay out of his way and don't expect much. Later on during the fight you'll actually get to fight him a big more when you ground him, and when you do, hit him from the flanks.

I was level 41 with 100 Smithing, 100 Enchanting and 90 (including buffs) light armor while wearing Dragonscale armor amd the mask of Morokai (sp) in the game (without mods). I played as a Destruction magic focused character and my Destruction was at 76 I also had a good Restoration and excellent Alchemy.

My main armor (and the mask) was enchanted with magicka regeneration. My boots were enchanted with fire resistance. I also had a ring (magicka regen) and an amulet (more magicka). The only weapons I used were a Daedric bow for hunting, a elven mace enchanted to fill soul gems via Soul Trap and the sword Dragonbane.

My daughter did it as a dagger/destruction mage at level 35 and her character was equipped like ass compared to mine because she refused to craft at the time and she only used robes. Still, she did the same thing to defeat Alduin at the Throat of the World -- drink lots of potions, flank and attack with magic and Dragonbane when she needed to regenerate.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Notice Me Senpai! wrote:Relativity doesn't matter, it's about the objective age. Not that I was saying he was too young. But if it was 6 year olds abusing newborns, if 6 isn't old enough to know not to abuse peers, it's not old enough to know not to abuse newborns.

Maybe that's true, and maybe it's not. Sorry, Eucli, but after that time a while back when you threatened people at the Pit here, saying that you might call the authorities and claim we were being mean to you, a minor, I'm taking all your sexual claims, even ones of recovered memories above (re: "awareness"), with a grain of salt. It could be just as fabricated as that weird sexual fiction you wrote about Thimbledeaux.

By the way, now that you're posting here again, are you at least 18 yet? I think you should tell us, so that people will know whether or not it's safe to discuss sexual things with you. If you are 18 or over now, I won't argue that you should not be posting here. I would still be wary of you though, due to your previous false threats you so easily fired off when things didn't go exactly your way.

That was the problem last time you were here. You were not only under-aged, you threatened to falsely accuse people here to the authorities as being "mean to a minor". It sounded like a threat to falsely pedo accuse people, due to your stressing your age as a minor. It was also after YOU initiated a lot of sex talk, and even a sexual short story you wrote. Like setting a trap.

I don't have the links to those old posts, but maybe someone else does.

So, anyways, how old are you now? If you are no longer a minor, at least you can't threaten to falsely pedo accuse anyone here this time.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

The FIRST time, this was true. The SECOND TIME, he just raped/abused those girls by himself and without coercion. Since there is no correlation to being sexually abused and becoming a sexual abuser, the pass they give him is bullshit. And this is why I, and many others, think he's a piece of shit.

BUT IF IT'S TRUE.

Many of us (including myself) note he's using the old 'recovered memories' gambit. Which has been shown to be FALSE and has been thoroughly discredited in mainstream, non-whack-a-loon psychology. So we don't believe him and we assert that he's just making shit up to when 'victim points' and bind himself to that crowd of dysfunctional ass-wipes in a more thorough fashion.

Which seems to be par for that group of people as they all seem to be perpetual victims and probably have half the DSM-V covered... Their claims about their victimization and troubles in their lives make no sense when you actually look at the frequency and depth of their problems and they really come across as lonely, attention-seeking losers and petty bullies. (At least to me, anyway.)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Notice Me Senpai! wrote:What exactly was he trying to say here? Was he trying to say that non-transitioned transgender women will have trouble getting into shelters? (which if he said those words.. man in a dress, that can be a bit insensitive, lol)? Or was he saying that women's shelter are turning away transgender women that haven't transitioned?

On the bottom floor of my apartment building, we've got a guy going MTF right now. He's about 60. Pretty tall and masculine even though he's gotten to the implant stage. He can make the transition all he wants. And good for him if that makes him happy.

But he's always going to look like a man in a dress -- the heavy Adam's apple, the heavy, manly jaw you could use to break walnuts, the wrong physical proportions, the hands...

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

deLurch wrote:
TheMan wrote:

I agree with the Opera house's decision. The singer is/was a lead draw to the Opera house for the performance. If her public words & comments then push people away from the Opera, they have every reason to dump her.

Now with the hypothetical Rugby player, I would agree with that approach too as they think it will not affect attendance that much. If I was an employer, I would not like to fire any individual over a single bad comment. But at minimum a discussion would be had. If it kept on recurring, THEN I would off the person.
Death threats to potential De-Lurch employees. :naughty:

James Caruthers

Tribble wrote:
On the bottom floor of my apartment building, we've got a guy going MTF right now. He's about 60. Pretty tall and masculine even though he's gotten to the implant stage. He can make the transition all he wants. And good for him if that makes him happy.

But he's always going to look like a man in a dress -- the heavy Adam's apple, the heavy, manly jaw you could use to break walnuts, the wrong physical proportions, the hands...
omg transphobia!

Someone has clearly been skipping their weekly Ingsoc RightThink appointments. How dare you notice that manly men tend to look like men even after *declaring* that they are now womyn? You are clearly deviant and must be purged.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Notice Me Senpai! wrote:
deLurch wrote:

Even if the vast majority aren't caught abusing others, it's not hard to see a 12 year old who had been abused decide to join in when two other girls are abusing another girl, imo. I'm not all that surprised. It was too early to have him babysitting, with.. abusive girls? I'm guessing the one in charge didn't know about those girls or him.

I wonder what the initiators the 2nd time around, and he, are like today..
1. It should be hard. Sexual abuse victims are no more likely to abuse others as non-sexual-abuse individuals. There is NO TRUTH to the assertion that being sexually abused turns someone into a predator.

2. He's just a liar. He plays the 'repressed memory game' and 'I have a monster inside me' game.

In the 'repressed memory game,' he periodically trots out a new confession of horrible behavior done to him (or he did to others because others did it to him first). This is done to generate sympathy points via 'pounce-hugs' and affirmations of his victimhood as victimhood is the primary social identifier/binder at FTB. He milks this for all it's worth.

"The monster inside me' game is to get additional sympathy and accolades (redemption points) for controlling his dark nature and bearing his burden. He plays this for all it's worth, too.

A bit of a salient aside, but even though I'm an atheist, when I was younger I liked to go to church. Sometimes I'd stir the pot a bit. But mostly I had fun singing off-key and watching everyone lie like a mother-fucker. Churches, when you don't believe the bullshit coming out of people's mouths, can be very interesting. Especially 'charismatic' churches where they speak in tongues and do other crazy-assed stuff.

Anyway, I went to Cornerstone Church for about six months and the main pastor, Pastor Davis, was routinely going on about his 'burden.' And man he got the sympathy of the church. In spades.

At first I had no idea what his burden was. Well, he killed a woman (with a knife) for spilling paint on his boots. Yet despite going on about his burden, he's never made amends or apologized to the family, the people who have the real burden. Instead he just trots it out for public consumption so he can generate redemption points.

It's well known enough locally that The Nashville Scene did an article on it in 2009: http://tinyurl.com/4n7srqp

Anyway, that's part and parcel, albeit a pretty extreme version, of 'the monster inside me' game. And how a sociopath like Davis has milked it into a lucrative career. And what Oggie is doing, but without a real story and in a very small and pathetic way.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tribble wrote:
I know. Which is why it was ludicrous. Yet she was making the threats out of her complete ignorance.
Oh, I knew you knew. I just wanted to drive home the point how un-moored from reality their bullshit is and, as such, is only fit for consumption within their echo chamber.