Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
Dick Strawkins

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Za-zen wrote:
That's on scary ass room, what sub reality, cock sucking, ego stroking, attention whoring drama fest was that taken at?
That looks like SkepchickCon 2012.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Seriously there's a chick half way down the aisle, that they should boot into the daylight for her own good.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Re the picture of the room full of weird.

Is that PZ asleep on the left in a black tee shirt?

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Dammit, all these years I've been giving Luigi too much credit :bjarte:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:Re the picture of the room full of weird.

No, Peezus is on the panel - he and Greg Laden are there as experts on the female orgasm (I kid you not)

http://lanyrd.com/2012/skepchickcon/swcwt/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

No wonder everyone looks so bored. Obviously nothing of relevance could have been said there.

"Have you come yet"

Southern

Post by Southern »

Mykeru wrote:
feralandproud wrote: D4m1on replies: (can't embed protected accounts, i guess)
Damion Reinhardt ‏@D4M10N Protected Tweets 7h
@Ellesun By using my FREEZE PEACH to counter what you say. Certainly a more noble approach than trying to lawyer you into the ground, eh?
Why's it gotta be "lawyer you into the ground"? Isn't it just as likely that he's trying to clear his name and salvage what's left of his reputation?
A long time ago D4m1on revealed himself to be a hack. He's simply one of those people who aligned themselves to the skeptical community not because he adheres to the methodology -- he will dispense with it when convenient -- but because it allows him to act superior. Mostly in front of the dumbest people in the room. What's important to D4m1on's type isn't the unvarnished truth, but really, how most everyone fails to live up to his always externally directed standards. That and acting as though he's performing a community service by grinding axes.

He's a dick.

Here's a whole roomful of the same smug, low-wattage assholes:

http://skepchick.org/wp-content/uploads ... -Panel.jpg
I notice that there's an impressive lack of racial diversity on this room - apparently, there's only one person that is not blinding white (maybe there's more on the back of the room, but are the Skepchicks really lumping non-whites on the back of the room?) . I can see more bald neckbeards than non-whites on this honkiefest.

Watson, don't do that.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

BarnOwl wrote:On Peezus' "25 years of futility" thread:
Thijs Goverde
2 April 2014 at 3:00 am (UTC -5)
Of course, and unfortunately, the obvious hypocrisy of scientists like PZ Myers is a truckload of grist to the denialist mill. The denialists’ reasoning might go:
1) if scientists really beleived AGW is a serious problem, they would change their behaviour and limit their CO2 emissions.
2) they fly all over the fucking globe, which is basically the most efficient way of putting more CO2 into the atmosphere.
3) therefore, these scientists do not really believe AG is a serious problem.
4) therefore these scientists are lying.

This might also be a reason why the denialist ‘scientists’ sound credible to some people.
PZ Myers and his ilk don’t put their money where their mouth is. The denialist ‘scientists’ may be in the habit of putting their mouth where their money is, but at least their mouth & money can be found in the same place. To some people, that might mean something.
:clap:
Epic takedown from Nerd, reaching into his pre-teen argument vault:
No, scientist, unlike YOU, understand that the plane is going there anyway. One more passenger doesn’t change anything. The hypocrisy is only in your mind. You sound like a denialist making a fuckwitted point.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

It's the "i did not fail" room from American idol

[youtube]bwdHe1-Us90[/youtube]

decius

Post by decius »

EdwardGemmer wrote:I've represented a lot of rapists.
Rape culture at its finest.

decius

Post by decius »

EdwardGemmer wrote:I've represented a lot of rapists.
Rape culture at its finest.

Selenite

Post by Selenite »

EdwardGemmer wrote: Sexual violence just looks different. You are asking a court system to try and look back at an encounter between two people who know each other, one or both may have been drinking, they may have engaged in some consensual sexual activities, and then try to find a point in time where whatever occurred was not consensual. On it's face, it's very difficult to do. It's very often a he said, she said affair, and usually both stories sound plausible, and we know that sometimes, the accusers are just making things up. However, a false rape allegation and a true rape allegation sound exactly alike, so how can one know months or years after the fact?
I agree that criminal court is a bad venue for a lot of this. Among other reasons: someone can be a boorish asshole even if they stop short of commiting an actual felony.

It's reasonable that skeptic conventions (or communities) should want to remove aggressively-rude assholes.

Your post highlights a basic problem with a lot of these whisper-campaigns. People are avoiding 'formal' venues because they don't think they can prove their claims to a neutral arbitrator.

And this creates my whole problem with the move for 'harassment policies' or 'naming names'. A sane policy would tie long-term decisions to some formal process. Probably people would present their cases to a neutral third-party mediator. Then the mediator would make a binding decision.

The 'problem' is that this policy would be binding arbitration by anther name. And we just said above that accusers are avoiding that sort of thing because they don't think they can support their claims (true or not) at any sort of standard in a neutral setting.

But the harassment 'policies' I've seen barely fit the definition of 'policy'. Instead of laying out some predictable and well-defined pattern of organizational behavior, they all seem to include an 'out' that amounts to, "The head of the organization can always choose to ignore all this and just do whatever -- just like they could before we wasted paper on the preceeding text."

Even after thousands of words spent on supposedly setting policy it's unclear to me what certain people are actually pushing to do. Their options all kind of suck.
1. Make decisions via evidence at a neutral arbitrator -- this has all the downsides of any other binding arbitrarion
2. Make decisions via evidence at an emotionally invested arbitrator -- a fleshed-out court of opinion has all the downsides of court, with the additional bonus of being biased against the unpopular and less-powerful
3. Make decisions without eidence via arbitrator -- we bypass the problems of evidence, but this is an overt, non-skeptical, witch-hunt.

The shittyness of the above options makes me think that organizations should just 'punt' and tell people to hash 'he-said she-said' things out via some external mediator (courts or otherwise). Other mediators are experts and better equipped for fair decisions.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

If rape or physical assault is reported call the police.

If someone is being boorish, intervene and reassert common-sense standards.

It's really not that difficult. Cons are not courts.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

JenM's mother has died.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... mccreight/

Bugger. I have lost both my parents. Life is a bitch.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Skep tickle wrote:Jumping ahead to ask people here, based on a twitter conversation just now:

What would it take for you to believe a claim of sexual harassment or assault?
I have very carefully not commented on he Radford/Stollznow case, but in general I think an accusation of sexual misconduct is an easy method of character assassination that plays on the damsel in distress reflex.

The law on sexual harassment has gone from being a justifiable protection for people in a vulnerable position from being exploited by people in a stronger position, to a subjective, practically arbitrary weapon available almost exclusively to women. I've received treatment from women that would be a clear case of sexual harassment if the sexes were reversed, but weren't in reality, not only because people don't take such complaints seriously from men, but because they really weren't that big a deal. They might have caused me momentary embarassment or discomfort, but who the hell ever said I have the right to go through life in uninterrupted comfort? I'm a grown-up, it's up to me to set my boundaries and communicate them.

It's a double bind based on traditional gender roles. Men must initiate, so we have to lay our cards on the table and take responsibility for our sexual behaviour. Women do not have to intiate, so can express their sexual desires indirectly and retain plausible deniability. Women are traditionally thought of as being diminished and degraded by sexual behaviour and men are not. So behaviour that is sanctionable when done by a man to a woman is just a natural hazard to be negotiated when done by a woman to a man. The fact that feminists reinforce such traditional, stereotypical attitudes to the sexes by continually trying to broaden the definition of sexual harassment is something that used to surprise me.

Plus, of course, sexual harassment is currently being used as a wedge to get certain identitarian entryists into positions of influence in the sceptic movement by crying damsel in distress and vilifying any man who doesn't come running as a misogynist. So accusations of sexual misconduct tend to make my skepticism-sense tingle.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:JenM's mother has died.

That is sad new for her.
When I read her post a while back about her mother being diagnosed with ovarian cancer I knew this was not too far around the corner. Unlike breast cancer, ovarian cancer is almost always detected far too late, with little that can be done except delay the inevitable by a year or two at a cost of very painful surgery or some rather debilitating chemo. My mother died of the same condition almost exactly seven years ago.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

paddybrown wrote: snip...

The fact that feminists reinforce such traditional, stereotypical attitudes to the sexes by continually trying to broaden the definition of sexual harassment is something that used to surprise me.
Some egalitarian type feminists are OK in this regard, but third wave, SJW- style neo-feminism has a lot to answer for.
These sorts of movements come in waves (does anyone remember the "new man" concept from the late eighties, early nineties - a kind of proto pro-feminist man image - which was heavily promoted by womens groups at the time but fell out of favor after a couple of years) and I can see the current SJW craze disppearing in the not too distant future.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Hunt wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: *That creepy, head-down, glaring eyes up pose she always makes in photos.
Yes, she's really got to stop doing that. Maybe she thinks it's a alluring pose. It isn't. It makes me want to lock my doors.
My guess is she wants to avoid face-on shots due to having a turkey wattle.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Za-zen wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

That's on scary ass room, what sub reality, cock sucking, ego stroking, attention whoring drama fest was that taken at?
BetaCon?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

<victim>
I lost both mine by the time I was 27.
</victim>

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

dogen wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

BetaCon?
Epsilon Semi-Moron.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Skep tickle wrote: Several tweets later, one thread of that conversation, with Notung, included this:
d4m10n wrote:@SIN_Notung There we continue to disagree. When all the non-fence-sitters are in the "bitches be lying" camp, that is strongly indicative.
(The "bitches be lying" was his comment, though in quotes in his tweet. I added the Koolaid part, hence it wasn't in quotes in my comment you quoted above.)
So then I'm guessing this clown basically thinks there are two positions on sexual harassment and assault accusations: "believe all victims" and "bitchez be lying". Its always good to see freethinkers who are capable of handling complex issues without kneejerk reactions and sloganeering.

:roll:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Za-zen wrote:
Skepchickon, S'natchurally.

John D

Post by John D »

dogen wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

BetaCon?
It looks like some kind of comic book or sci fi convention. There are at least seven cosplayers in the crowd that I can see, but there are probably more. They look like they have spent all day at the convention and are just waiting to see who has won some kind of contest. Perhaps they are waiting for a guest speaker or something. I suspect it smells pretty ripe in there since it si possible some of those people have been playing collectible card games for 36 hours straight. These types of events are attended by mostly whites because those black folks are not allowed to buy comic books.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Brive1987 wrote:
Did you look under the refrigerator?

http://www.freewebs.com/draagonfliir/Ra ... o_hell.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

John D wrote: It looks like some kind of comic book or sci fi convention. There are at least seven cosplayers in the crowd that I can see, but there are probably more. They look like they have spent all day at the convention and are just waiting to see who has won some kind of contest. Perhaps they are waiting for a guest speaker or something. I suspect it smells pretty ripe in there since it si possible some of those people have been playing collectible card games for 36 hours straight. These types of events are attended by mostly whites because those black folks are not allowed to buy comic books.
Or you could just read the hotlink URL:

Although, everything you say is true. What's the fun of having a nominally "skeptical" convention if you can't dress up like a total douche and sit around on your fat, pasty white asses looking bored and hungover while the Skepchicks make even a primal pleasure no fun whatsoever.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Thanks for all the comments, including the double-post replies :) - and feel free to comment further, if so inclined.

However, it seems not to have convinced d4m10n that there's a single person in the Pit who hasn't drunk the (to quote him) "bitches be lying" Koolaid about any claim of sexual harassment & assault. (Course I'm not sure he even looked, despite direct links via twitter.)
Well he is free to hold whatever opinion he wishes. I respect him more for asking questions and reviewing evidence, even if I disagree with his (as phrased by you) determination.

The issue is that all people lie at times for all sorts of reasons. No specific gender should be sanctified to the level that we should think that they are any less human that the rest of the population.
d4m10n had already come to his conclusion. He sometimes has black and white thinking on the use of swearwords as well. He can post here if he disagrees.

I find the Slympit less sexist, racist and homophobic than chunks of FtB and all of Atheism+. Even Clarance is fairly moderate. But then I do not care about words, I care about the intent behind them.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Re the picture of the room full of weird.

No, Peezus is on the panel - he and Greg Laden are there as experts on the female orgasm (I kid you not)

http://lanyrd.com/2012/skepchickcon/swcwt/
With RW too huh.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwlcz72xZP1qmiyih.gif

John D

Post by John D »

Mykeru wrote:
John D wrote: It looks like some kind of comic book or sci fi convention. There are at least seven cosplayers in the crowd that I can see, but there are probably more. They look like they have spent all day at the convention and are just waiting to see who has won some kind of contest. Perhaps they are waiting for a guest speaker or something. I suspect it smells pretty ripe in there since it si possible some of those people have been playing collectible card games for 36 hours straight. These types of events are attended by mostly whites because those black folks are not allowed to buy comic books.
Or you could just read the hotlink URL:

Although, everything you say is true. What's the fun of having a nominally "skeptical" convention if you can't dress up like a total douche and sit around on your fat, pasty white asses looking bored and hungover while the Skepchicks make even a primal pleasure no fun whatsoever.
Oh my God! I thought this was some kind of random picture from a comic book con. Hoho. I didn't notice the hotlink name. Fuck is that's funny.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, I see McArthur Park/Chop Suey/Short Round has "enacted the labor", and is being quoted by the BBC (what is it with those maroons?), where she attempts too pull an oolon-style "LOL, I trollz U!".
Short Round wrote:There's no reason for me to act reasonable, because I won't be taken seriously anyway. So I might as well perform crazy to point out exactly what's expected from me.
Those trendy social media stories really have Auntie hooked!

Oh, and some pundit Kang (or was it Kodos?) says"
Kang wrote:If we take #CancelColbert at face value, we can easily dismiss it as shrill, misguided, and frivolous. But after speaking to Park about what she hoped to accomplish with all this (a paternalistic question if there ever was one), I wonder if we might be witnessing the development of a more compelling - and sometimes annoying and infuriating - form of protest, by a new group of Merry Pranksters, who are once again freaking out the squares in our always over-reacting, always polarized online public sphere.
No, it is shrill, misguided, and frivolous.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

John D wrote:
dogen wrote:
Za-zen wrote:http://skepchick.org/wp-content/uploads ... -Panel.jpg

BetaCon?
It looks like some kind of comic book or sci fi convention. There are at least seven cosplayers in the crowd that I can see, but there are probably more. They look like they have spent all day at the convention and are just waiting to see who has won some kind of contest. Perhaps they are waiting for a guest speaker or something. I suspect it smells pretty ripe in there since it si possible some of those people have been playing collectible card games for 36 hours straight. These types of events are attended by mostly whites because those black folks are not allowed to buy comic books.
I love the guy snoozing at the front there. Or is he imagining something? He looks to be in that inbetween state. Also, if I'm not mistaken that's Christina Rad at the front on the other side. Also a guy dressed as Luigi for...whatever reason. And a girl with some epic cleavage at the back in the middle. Yowsa. Finally, WHERE DEM BROTHERS AT? Ahem. I mean. I unwittingly infiltrated the white people's club and it's time for a new wave of Skepchickcon.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Tigzy rofl!

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Lsuoma wrote: *snip*

No, it is shrill, misguided, and frivolous.
Yeah, I pointed out how quick she abandoned the hashtag when it backfired on her. It's telling in it's own way that her "satire" was basically the exact same shit that the SJL pulls every day. I think the whole satire fallback excuse was used because:

1. Like I said, the whole thing kind of blew up in her face.

2. She's attempting to downplay the obviously racist statements she made during most of the whole debacle.

Speaking of which, why has no news outlet pointed out all the racism in that hashtag? Does the whole world believe "you can't be racist towards white people? I haven't explored twitter enough to know whether that's a one-way street or not.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, I see McArthur Park/Chop Suey/Short Round has "enacted the labor", and is being quoted by the BBC (what is it with those maroons?), where she attempts too pull an oolon-style "LOL, I trollz U!".
Short Round wrote:There's no reason for me to act reasonable, because I won't be taken seriously anyway. So I might as well perform crazy to point out exactly what's expected from me.
Hang on.
"perform crazy"

What is up with this little twit and her stupid use of language!

But yeah, the "I meant to do that" aspect isn't plausible, it's far more likely that Stollznow's telling the truth and nothing but the truth.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

zenbabe wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:BTW, I see McArthur Park/Chop Suey/Short Round has "enacted the labor", and is being quoted by the BBC (what is it with those maroons?), where she attempts too pull an oolon-style "LOL, I trollz U!".
Hang on.
"perform crazy"

But yeah, the "I meant to do that" aspect isn't plausible, it's far more likely that Stollznow's telling the truth and nothing but the truth.
The bbc journo is considering the idea that chop suey is a satirical genius, taking it to the next level. Somebody stick occam's razor into his head.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Btw, this is happening tonight:
Secular Woman @SecularWoman

Talk to us about #ConHarassment - join our twitter chat today at 8PM EST for #EndSHWeek
7:16am · 2 Apr 14 · TweetDeck
They've been asking for people (women) to share their stories of being harassed at conferences. And I guess it'll all happen on Twitter! The very best place ever to bare personal pain and miseries to the unquestioning and loving embrace of sympathetic, eager feminists who will stab you in the back the second you step out of line.
:bjarte:

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Za-zen wrote:
zenbabe wrote:

Short Round:There's no reason for me to act reasonable, because I won't be taken seriously anyway. So I might as well perform crazy to point out exactly what's expected from me.
Hang on.
"perform crazy"

The bbc journo is considering the idea that chop suey is a satirical genius, taking it to the next level. Somebody stick occam's razor into his head.
As a fan of media hoaxes and cultural jamming and the like, I will silently weep until I fall asleep tonight.

[youtube]YoZQNgAnvqs[/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Za-zen wrote:
zenbabe wrote:

Short Round:There's no reason for me to act reasonable, because I won't be taken seriously anyway. So I might as well perform crazy to point out exactly what's expected from me.
Hang on.
"perform crazy"

As a fan of media hoaxes and cultural jamming and the like, I will silently weep until I fall asleep tonight.

This is how you do it. Just one of many examples:

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Za-zen wrote:
zenbabe wrote:

Hang on.
"perform crazy"

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I heartily enjoyed reading everyone's thoughtful responses to Skep tickle's question. Two that stood out for me were Dogen's "that the event as described by the claimant does actually constitute sexual assault.", and soylentatheist finding it a red flag if you are told you cannot question or form your own opinion.

Regarding Stollznow, the biggest problem for me by far is that she declared "I find you very interesting. Would you like to come up for some coffee?" as sexual harassment. If that is her benchmark, then we can be virtually certain that whatever Rads 'did' to her does not meet the legal definitions of sexual harassment or sexual assault.

I was less pleased to learn it was for the benefit of d1m0n3, or at least to counter his false dichotomy that one must either believe Stollzy, or one always assumes "bitches be lyin'". FTS.

Wasn't THE NIGHT OF DOUBLE POSTS a Fellini flic?

In any case, it's DAWN OF THE DOUBLE today.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

2minutesHate wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
2minutesHate wrote: No, it's a fucking lazer rangefinder you ignorant fuck.

What the fuck would PZ Myers do with a lazer rangefinder? These are most often used by hunters so they can make elevation ajustments while hunting game.
http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/

Moron.
http://swfa.com/Leica-Rangefinders-C513.aspx

Ãœber Moron.
Well ain't you just precious. Presented with multiple pieces of evidence that PZ was referring to the camera in the context of this Kwok loon and you still cling to your incorrect assumption. Mmm. Mmm. That's some damn fine stupid you got going there. Damn fine.

Whiskey Tango

Post by Whiskey Tango »

While those of us at Rebecca Watson Fan Club are well aware that most Slymepitters are angry, resentful neckbeard manginas who are jelly of Rebecca Watson, we know some of you are closet Watsonists, and doubtless most lurkers are Watsonian loyalists keeping tabs on Rebecca's haters.

With that in mind, we've got a real treat -- as the fourth season of Game of Thrones is set to premiere this Sunday, we've unearthed a previously unreleased audio commentary track for "Winter is Coming," the show's very first episode, recorded by Rebecca Watson and Amanda Marcotte in 2011. We're proud to present this commentary from two of feminism's most important figures, who shed light on the misogynist underpinnings and gender constructs of the popular epic fantasy:

http://rebeccawatsonfanclub.wordpress.com/

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

By the way, I think I got my victim cred this morning. I woke up, felt this systematic pain coursing through my loins up to my stomach, and as I attempted to relieve myself in the bathroom I almost fainted! The vision from my eyes dimmed, the warmth of my body went through a frenzy, I felt nauseous and my ears started emanating this faint hiss. It was a very unpleasant experience. Needless to say, if this was a tryout, I think it would definitely qualify me for the Oppression Olympics.

Apples

Post by Apples »

zenbabe wrote:Btw, this is happening tonight:

Talk to us about #ConHarassment - join our twitter chat today at 8PM EST for #EndSHWeek
They've been asking for people (women) to share their stories of being harassed at conferences. And I guess it'll all happen on Twitter! The very best place ever to bare personal pain and miseries to the unquestioning and loving embrace of sympathetic, eager feminists who will stab you in the back the second you step out of line.
A glance at #EndSHWeek reveals that guess who is busy as a bee on that hashtag, feministing like nothing ever happened? Hugo motherfuckin Schwyzer.

Which makes perfect sense, because he wrote this last week:
I am in the midst of what will be a very long break from public writing. The promise of an extended hiatus is a pledge I made many times last summer, but invariably failed to keep. For some time now, however, I’ve been able to stay away from doing interviews, publishing articles and blogposts, and otherwise unhelpfully inserting myself into the conversation. ...

... There is no way at this point for me to have a healthy public presence. Both my recovery and my amends to the many, many people whom I betrayed and hurt are contingent upon my staying out of the public eye for the foreseeable future. I am (briefly) breaking my silence now to make it clear that while this lengthy and painful piece in LA Magazine is almost entirely accurate, I am so very sorry both for having done the interview and for having behaved in such a dishonest and shoddy manner to so many people for so long.
I guess sending out 1 or 2 dozen public Twitter messages a day and being ubiquitous on a feminist/SJW hashtag doesn't count as having a "public presence" or "inserting yourself into the conversation."

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

zenbabe wrote:Btw, this is happening tonight:

If I had a twitter account I'd consider finally telling my stories of being sexually assaulted by Watson/ Mofo/ zvan/ Benson/PZ! :roll:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Aneris wrote:
Triple Post!

http://content6.flixster.com/question/4 ... 28_std.jpg

Oh, shut up!

free thoughtpolice

feralandproud wrote: D4m1on replies: (can't embed protected accounts, i guess)
Damion Reinhardt ‏@D4M10N Protected Tweets 7h
@Ellesun By using my FREEZE PEACH to counter what you say. Certainly a more noble approach than trying to lawyer you into the ground, eh?
Why's it gotta be "lawyer you into the ground"? Isn't it just as likely that he's trying to clear his name and salvage what's left of his reputation?
Someone should start a campaign naming Damion as a serial child molester. Plaster it all over the internet, notify his employer, his family, his friends, and put up posters all over the area where he lives and works.
Then he can demonstrate how well FREEZE PEACH works.
If anyone needed evidence that he is really stupid that tweet should do the trick.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

zenbabe wrote:
Hang on.
"perform crazy"

For those who don't know, "perform" is a buzzword in academia these days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performativity).

"Performativity" is a bunch of scientifically illiterate and unsubstantiated hokum that people believe because it's PC to deny biology and also because it does admittedly touch on some kernels of truth (i.e., nurture does play a major role in determining our behavior and speech, and it's obvious that people do take into account how they'll be perceived when saying and doing things). Judith Butler popularized the concept in her writings on gender and sex, and I'm sure it's found its way into some SJ circles. My guess is that Park encountered it thrown around in college or by some fellow slacktivists and has incorporated it into her oh-so-progressive lexicon.

But the idea of "performativity" is that we don't even realize we're doing it. What Park is saying is that this was all satire and part of her master plan. It's transparent childish backpedaling.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Skep tickle wrote:Jumping ahead to ask people here, based on a twitter conversation just now:

Are there certain circumstances in which you'd be more likely to believe it (evidence, etc) & if so what type of circumstance(s) would that/those be, in general?

Do you think the person's gender would influence your likelihood of believing the claim?

If the claim were made by someone on one side or the other of The Schism, would the side she or he is on influence your belief in the claim?

I anticipate there will be rude answers, but am also interested in a couple of serious/straightforward responses. Thanks.
I tend to base my level of belief in sexual assault claims on skirt length.

Below the knee: RAPE!

Above the knee: WHORE!

(how was that Damion?)

free thoughtpolice

I recall where people here were talking about how men have it worse in some ways because they do dangerous jobs that women don't. It turns out jobs like logging, oil drilling, etc. aren't dangerous in themselves, it's the fact that they are male dominated and the resulting hyper-masculine attitudes result in the jobs being dangerous.
SallyStrange

2 April 2014 at 11:47 am (UTC -5)

better workplace safety practises and more job creation in the manufacturing and construction sectors.

Again, this is only a men’s issue to the extent that there’s a cultural preconception that women don’t belong in these fields.

Actually, it’s a men’s issue in another way, too: research into worker safety on oil rigs (a heavily male-dominated field) showed that in order for men to stop getting hurt, they would have to abandon their hyper-masculine, macho attitudes. These macho attitudes disdained common safety procedures as less than masculine and derided men who got hurt or expressed concern about getting hurt as weaklings, pussies… like women, you know.

You NEVER hear MRAs talking about how such exaggerated, toxic masculinity leads to bad health outcomes for men. You do hear feminists talking about it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

bhoytony wrote:

Are there certain circumstances in which you'd be more likely to believe it (evidence, etc) & if so what type of circumstance(s) would that/those be, in general?

Do you think the person's gender would influence your likelihood of believing the claim?

If the claim were made by someone on one side or the other of The Schism, would the side she or he is on influence your belief in the claim?

I anticipate there will be rude answers, but am also interested in a couple of serious/straightforward responses. Thanks.

(how was that Damion?)
These bitches just begging for it by showing off their ankles and wearing makeup:
saudi-lechers_zps24929c17.jpg
(137.25 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Totally their fault. Shameless hussies leading men into temptation!

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:On Peezus' "25 years of futility" thread:
Thijs Goverde
2 April 2014 at 3:00 am (UTC -5)
Of course, and unfortunately, the obvious hypocrisy of scientists like PZ Myers is a truckload of grist to the denialist mill. The denialists’ reasoning might go:
1) if scientists really beleived AGW is a serious problem, they would change their behaviour and limit their CO2 emissions.
2) they fly all over the fucking globe, which is basically the most efficient way of putting more CO2 into the atmosphere.
3) therefore, these scientists do not really believe AG is a serious problem.
4) therefore these scientists are lying.

This might also be a reason why the denialist ‘scientists’ sound credible to some people.
PZ Myers and his ilk don’t put their money where their mouth is. The denialist ‘scientists’ may be in the habit of putting their mouth where their money is, but at least their mouth & money can be found in the same place. To some people, that might mean something.
:clap:
Epic takedown from Nerd, reaching into his pre-teen argument vault:
No, scientist, unlike YOU, understand that the plane is going there anyway. One more passenger doesn’t change anything. The hypocrisy is only in your mind. You sound like a denialist making a fuckwitted point.
What a tiresome prick. Part of me wants to register on FtB just to put the cunt in his place, using fucking citations if I have to. But honestly - if the guy is that much of a cretin to begin with there seems little point.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Aw, that's too bad. I would honestly love to tweet her my condolences or leave a comment on the blog, but, sadly, that doesn't seem like a good idea. Perhaps she'll read this thread or someone will send her this way.

If she is reading this, I offer my deepest condolences and I hope her family is sharing the love and support they need at the moment.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

I beseech of thee Pit to please start a new thread that doesn't have Amanda Marcotte gracing the first post. Every fucking brower I use now has her grimace and cackle gracing that browser's "new tab" page or "start page" or what have you.

http://i.imgur.com/pBvtad1.jpg

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Decent article on the #cancelColbert dustup:

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/03/when-hastag-activism/

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

http://www.maciverinstitute.com/2014/04 ... KM.twitter
Saw this on reddit and thought it must be an April fools joke. Apparently not. Considering where and how I grew up, this kind of shit just baffles me.

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I recall where people here were talking about how men have it worse in some ways because they do dangerous jobs that women don't. It turns out jobs like logging, oil drilling, etc. aren't dangerous in themselves, it's the fact that they are male dominated and the resulting hyper-masculine attitudes result in the jobs being dangerous.
SallyStrange

2 April 2014 at 11:47 am (UTC -5)

better workplace safety practises and more job creation in the manufacturing and construction sectors.

Again, this is only a men’s issue to the extent that there’s a cultural preconception that women don’t belong in these fields.

Actually, it’s a men’s issue in another way, too: research into worker safety on oil rigs (a heavily male-dominated field) showed that in order for men to stop getting hurt, they would have to abandon their hyper-masculine, macho attitudes. These macho attitudes disdained common safety procedures as less than masculine and derided men who got hurt or expressed concern about getting hurt as weaklings, pussies… like women, you know.

You NEVER hear MRAs talking about how such exaggerated, toxic masculinity leads to bad health outcomes for men. You do hear feminists talking about it.

<Homer S.>
Toxic Masculinity ... is there anything it can't do?
</Homer S.>

Southern

Post by Southern »

bhoytony wrote:

(how was that Damion?)
You may laugh at that idea, but... that's what actually 65% of the fuckers down here in this tropical hellhole believe, according to a recent pool run by the government. They asked, "Do you agree with the following statement: women that use skimpy outfits deserve to be raped", or something very similar to that. 45% of the fuckers (men AND women) "strongly agreed", and 20% "agreed to a certain extent".

That, I might add, in a fucking tropical country, where most of the year temperatures are above 35ºC everywhere. Also, every February there's fucking Carnival and people get into various amount of undress for fun and games. You would think that people living in a country like that would be more tolerant of women wearing less clothing, right? Well you are a stupid fucker, 2/3 of the population think that a woman that gets raped may have it coming and she should accept that because she's a whore, dressing like that and all.

And they used to say, "The country of the Future!". Future embarassment and shame, they forgot to add. That's a real problem that pisses me off so much, and I am a MRA libertarian cis-scum neckbeard (as per PZ Myers' quote).