Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
Guestus Aurelius

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Slipterid wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:Support your local cats:

http://9gag.com/gag/aAYZRG9
Just de-lurking for a moment (with temporary permission of my furry masters and mistresses) to say YES older kittehs can be so wonderful. I "foster" for my local charity and I have 13 long-term residents in my care, all of them wonderful and quirky even if "damaged". Luckily nobody wants to adopt one so I get to keep them :D :dance: :dance: :D

And I wanted to say how much you people in the slyme brighten my days. Thank you.

OK back to lurking, they only gave me a couple of minutes time out for good behaviour. I cleaned their litter-trays well this morning and produced extra chicken.
TLDR you long-winded blowhard. Welcome. Oh, and "quirky"? "damaged"? "dance"? "thank you"? Fuck right off with that ableist shit. But still, TLDR.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I stopped following WEIT now that it's morphed from a science/atheism blog into an official organ of the Democrat Party.
I wonder what the organs of the Republic Party look like.
Have a peek up their skirt.

(I didn't intend on using the GOP format if the dem party name -- my phone decided that.)

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Ape+lust wrote:What the feck?
PZ wrote:Now that’s good skepticism!
Did that come with a wink and a finger shooter? Jeezus, even PZ is phoning it in.

http://imgur.com/CwU7CFj.jpg

As you were, Peez. Sorry to interrupt.

http://imgur.com/QzAR4tS.jpg
http://www.troll.me/images/are-you-fuck ... me-now.jpg

Dear Ape+Lust, Fuck You.

That is all.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sunder wrote:Does anyone in the Pit have an opinion on MMT (Modern Monetary Theory) proponents?

I keep seeing the smug little fuckers popping up in other places I frequent and I'm starting to (perhaps unfairly) treat them the same way I treat the Pharynguloids: as a cultish clique who can't stop talking about how great they are.
All economics is voodoo economics.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Tigzy wrote:BTW, Phil - cos you're such a seriously nice dude, I took it upon myself to put in a plug for Fairyland - on FTB no less. :-D

http://freethoughtblogs.com/marginoferr ... mment-1198
I put a plug in too.
abear

March 30, 2014 at 5:46 pm (UTC 0)

Kaveh: I also recommend you give a listen to Fairyland.
If it weren’t for Phillipe Giordana being a total dudebro his music would be really cool.
There you go Phil; a foothold in the Iranian metal market!
I can feel the love...

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

AndrewV69 wrote:@Robokitty ... what exactly am I to make of this?

[mewtube]WANZBs8Za0Q[/mewtube]
Even mewsical corvids are servants to the one true KiTTY. :violin:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

The polio vaccine was a bad idea, because all those people who were permanently disabled got the message that they were 'broken' in some way. Especially that insensitive dudebro FDR!

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

I have a friend who is hard of hearing and spouts the same party line: "Deafness is not a disability, and it is completely okay for deaf parents to deliberately try to give birth to a deaf child when they could be adopting/giving birth to a hearing child, and don't tell me about curing deafness."

This argument is problematic on so many levels, I think I'll just point out a few here.

1) The implication is that a disability makes you lesser. What does that say about their view on disabled people?

2) If deaf people are not disabled, then do they support taking away special treatment and benefits for deaf people?

3) Lacking one of the vital senses most hjoomins have should count as a disability. Just because one's predecessors pioneered ways to mitigate the impacts doesn't nullify the fact.

4) Saying deafness is not a disability implicitly denies the value in mewsic and the entire field of linguistics (except the minority who deal in written and signed languages).

John D

Post by John D »

That's right! Deaf people have NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM so stop posting these videos showing how an amazing new technology is causing all these Deaf people (capitalize Deaf) untold trauma and tricky choices. All you hearing people need to shut up and listen (listen???)

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I have also heard the argument that Down's Syndrome is not in any way a disability, and that it is simply a natural variation, like eye colour.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Ugh. I can almost understand where they're coming from if it's a strictly personal "there's nothing wrong with me," but I can't stand seeing anyone attempting to diminish the joy of others.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tigzy wrote:
Aneris wrote: I liked Rebecca Watson's video. In fact, I think it is her best since the other good one she made about douches some years ago (which was a lecture). There was nothing new in it, yes, and all she says was pointed out before, yes, but that doesn't affect the quality. It's just not that interesting if it's all known to you, but her target is this show and she might make a difference. And indeed, PZ Myers is correct, that's a good one.
I thought it was shit, as usual. Though I admit, I didn't watch the whole thing - the spud-faced void's natural charisma and charm ensured that. In any case, my point was more about Myers' vapid 'gee whiz!' response to it, which was ably mocked by ApeLust above. Honestly, Glob could do a video of herself deploying those fulsome gnashers in the service of some graphic coprophagy, and Myers would find it thoroughly wonderful. And not in a sexual sense, either. Though I wouldn't discount that possibility.
Ahaa. Yeah. I mean, psychic, ghost, bigfoot skeptics are so passe. That's Radford territory. That's... oh.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

And now for something completely different.

In march, the heretics of the Knights Templar were burned to their death for kissing the false backsides. Sevenhundred years later, David Silverman was burned for kissing the false backsides. A witch hunt!? Part one looks into what he said, some of the contexts and establishes the situation. The next part will appear tomorrow. Probably (still juggling and struggling with it a bit).

http://i.imgur.com/TRI0MH0.jpg

Come over and say hi. :)

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Sunder wrote:Ugh. I can almost understand where they're coming from if it's a strictly personal "there's nothing wrong with me," but I can't stand seeing anyone attempting to diminish the joy of others.
Yeah, I get it too, and word choice does matter—to say that a deaf person is "broken" or that "there's something wrong with them" is obviously dickish, precisely because such comments describe the person rather than their disability (regardless of the speaker's intent).

But does anybody actually say that deaf people are "broken"?

I think part of the problem is the idea that we're all supposed to have respect for "community" and "culture," end of story. And deafness is a disability whose afflicted often socialize with and support one another—their deafness is a major part of their identities and a central aspect of their subculture.

And I think that's wonderful for them.

But obviously not all hearing impaired people feel the same way about the deaf community. Many would like to be able to more easily navigate the rest of the world, wherein deafness makes your life more difficult. It's fucked up that those who opt for cochlear implants are sometimes criticized by their "community." Some friends! It's telling that the author of the piece has to include the "don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people who opt for implants" disclaimer.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

another lurker wrote:I have also heard the argument that Down's Syndrome is not in any way a disability, and that it is simply a natural variation, like eye colour.
That's what's taught at the Hornbeck Institute For Geneticy Researchin'.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Really? wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I stopped following WEIT now that it's morphed from a science/atheism blog into an official organ of the Democrat Party.
I wonder what the organs of the Republic Party look like.
Have a peek up their skirt.

(I didn't intend on using the GOP format if the dem party name -- my phone decided that.)
Okay, pouncetug apologies. I was being a tiny bit passive aggressive and also hoping to set up a joke about "Republican Party" organs.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sunder wrote:Ugh. I can almost understand where they're coming from if it's a strictly personal "there's nothing wrong with me," but I can't stand seeing anyone attempting to diminish the joy of others.
Agreed. These insane arguments drive me crazy. (Ableist language intended.)

If you are deaf and you are happy the way you are, that's fan-fucking-tastic. But don't stand in the way of others who are trying to, yes, improve their lives.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Hunt wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-774627
Louis wrote:Dear Unholy Fuck I am hungover. Never never drink that drink. Never. My brain. My poor poor brain. I blame all of you. You utter shower of bastards.

You should have worshipped Spiderman like I told you when the Religio-Troll-festation began. Then I wouldn’t have to do it. LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!

It has nothing to do with Leicester winning the rugby yesterday and a remarkable lack of self control on my part. That’s right out.

Louis
Getting drunk off your ass and battling creatards on Pharyngula. For some this constitutes a good Saturday night.

Uh, Louis...Louis...are you listening? Let me whisper this in your ear......

GET A FUCKING LIFE!
I agree. What sort of pathetic loser goes around calling Spider-Man 'Spiderman'?

Does he also call Superman 'Super-Man'? I bet he does, the sad wanker.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Slipterid wrote:

Just de-lurking for a moment <snip> to say YES older kittehs can be so wonderful. <snip>.
TLDR you long-winded blowhard. Welcome. Oh, and "quirky"? "damaged"? "dance"? "thank you"? Fuck right off with that ableist shit. But still, TLDR.
Yes I am a windbag. I didn't know that "quirky" was an ableist word, I shall pop it in my file.

I appreciate the welcome :)

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Slipterid wrote:

Just de-lurking for a moment <snip> to say YES older kittehs can be so wonderful. <snip>.
Yes I am a windbag. I didn't know that "quirky" was an ableist word, I shall pop it in my file.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Slipterid wrote:

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Aaaargh sorry for the triple post, the edit button won't work for me so I cannot delete them. Sorry, I think my browser hates me. Going to bed

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

JackSkeptic wrote:
If she has done a good video, in fact if anyone does a good video, in support of A/S principles then I do not care one bit who they are. I am pleased as we need as much out there as we can. Also, I really have no issue with some self promotion. Everyone does it and for good reason. The issue I have with Watson is the way she will switch to a bitter hate on for 'Atheist men' which I really do not want to listen to without some evidence. She will mix a charity appeal with an attack on men (she said it was a joke but I do not buy that)
Exactly. You can't go saying batshit radfem stuff like "men who don't watch my videos are worse than rape threats" (or whatever bollocks it was) and expect to remain credible in any respect.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Maximus wrote:[youtube]HMUDVMiITOU[/youtube]

Lol, this might be how feminists see the world. Hopefully no one else beat me ( I'm like 10 pages behind). This is apparently the hot new jam all the kids are listening to.
-thanks preview button :D
My new favorite video.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Slipterid wrote:Aaaargh sorry for the triple post, the edit button won't work for me so I cannot delete them. Sorry, I think my browser hates me. Going to bed
You have to PM all the moderators, once from each of your IP addresses (Work, Mobile, Home, etc...) Just say something like "edit button please"

This policy helps the 'pit prevent edit-button abuse. They use a whitelist, rather than a blacklist.

Apples

Post by Apples »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:mary (abbie's ilk) - take care of yourself and your mom - what a rough patch you're both in, so sorry to hear it. Glad the 'Pit can provide some lulz when you have the chance to pop in amidst all that's going on IRL.

(Maybe now the fascist tit will change your 'nym color from newbie-gold to cool-kid-blue?)
I want my nym color to be somewhere between Juicy Cantaloupe and Luscious Mango:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bjvh_WdIEAA7bfe.jpg:large

Which would be

http://www.colorhexa.com/ff9900.png

rgb (255,153,0)

hex #ff9900 (web safe)

Word.
If Mykeru gets to be colored, I want to be colored too.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/squ ... 8sw578.gif

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Slipterid wrote:Aaaargh sorry for the triple post, the edit button won't work for me so I cannot delete them. Sorry, I think my browser hates me. Going to bed
Slipterid, please contact all the moderators, from each of your devices, to alert them. PM mods: Lsuoma, Dick Strawkins, Gumby, Git, Cunt and Tony Parsehole. They'll sort the Edit button feature out.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:And here's a lovely, compassionate response from the comments, which shows just how inclusive Meyers's people are:

http://i.imgur.com/Oz3DrfX.png
[youtube]rmqGBLsDuoQ[/youtube]
Seriously, check out the 'chorus'.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Because I didn't want to spend a rainy day writing about The Peez.

[youtube]V3OfXPSegb8[/youtube]

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

http://rebeccawatsonfanclub.wordpress.com/

Am I the only one who didn't know about this? Whoever you are, you're a magnificent bastard.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Here's a version without the first rule of journalism broken (misspelling someone's name):

[youtube]CJrtDZIjlnU[/youtube]

Apples

Post by Apples »

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Apples wrote:
Maximus wrote:[youtube]HMUDVMiITOU

Lol, this might be how feminists see the world. Hopefully no one else beat me ( I'm like 10 pages behind). This is apparently the hot new jam all the kids are listening to.
My new favorite video.
Seconded. I can't stop watching it.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Parody Accountant wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:And here's a lovely, compassionate response from the comments, which shows just how inclusive Meyers's people are:

http://i.imgur.com/Oz3DrfX.png
[youtube]rmqGBLsDuoQ[/youtube]
Seriously, check out the 'chorus'.
Two thumbs up, lovely stuff.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

CO2 said:
Slipterid, please contact all the moderators, from each of your devices, to alert them. PM mods: Lsuoma, Dick Strawkins, Gumby, Git, Cunt and Tony Parsehole. They'll sort the Edit button feature out.
Hey, hey, hey! You forgot me!! Fucking Gregsist!!!

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Really? wrote:
Agreed. These insane arguments drive me crazy. (Ableist language intended.)

If you are deaf and you are happy the way you are, that's fan-fucking-tastic. But don't stand in the way of others who are trying to, yes, improve their lives.
I think that deaf people are unique in that they have had a strong community spirit for a long time. There is a deaf university and whole communities with a majority of deaf people as well as having their own language. So I think that unlike blind people for instance, they can be seen to have a subculture.

However, this doesn't excuse themselves from being dicks.

Interestingly, I've always thought that I would rather be deaf than blind but someone who works in the area said that deaf people are more likely to die or get seriously injured because they can't hear something coming.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Holy fuck Watson looks like Garth
Yep.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 1396219624

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Mykeru wrote:Here's a version without the first rule of journalism broken (misspelling someone's name):

[youtube]CJrtDZIjlnU[/youtube]
YAY!!! :dance:

Love the Mykeru's Victrola dog! That music might be heard emanating from the window of a little shotgun house off Magazine St., on a sultry late spring evening in Nawlins, many years ago ....

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Parody Accountant wrote:
You have to PM all the moderators, once from each of your IP addresses (Work, Mobile, Home, etc...) Just say something like "edit button please"

This policy helps the 'pit prevent edit-button abuse. They use a whitelist, rather than a blacklist.

Yes and do it several times each as they often lose messages. If you're lucky you may also be invited to the 'Pits super seekrit back passage.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Reposting Goffin's works as it is the work of a genius. The talent displayed at the Slympit is incredible. As a mediocre bore with delusions of adequacy I'm off to tremble and rage at how unfair life has been to me. I blame men for everything. I could have been contender!!

[youtube]IKpsgGNDNCk[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

John Greg wrote:CO2 said:
I didn't forget you: I am genuinely a Gregist. I despise Gregs in all their forms, and whenever I encounter one in real life, I make sure to roll my eyes at them and tut. I consider them taught a ruddy good lesson.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Never let truth get in the way when you're peddling mendacious bullshit.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I didn't forget you: I am genuinely a Gregist. I despise Gregs in all their forms, and whenever I encounter one in real life, I make sure to roll my eyes at them and tut. I consider them taught a ruddy good lesson.
:crying-blue:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news People can predict the IQ of men — but not women — by looking at their face, study finds
New research published in PLoS Onehas found that a man’s facial characteristics contain some clues about his intelligence. Surprisingly, the same can’t be said for women’s facial traits. And the particular male facial characteristic linked with intelligence are a mystery

What is interesting is because they dinna ken why/what that it has to be some sorta of socia construct/cultural stereotype.
“These faces of supposed high and low intelligence probably represent nothing more than a cultural stereotype because these morphological traits do not correlate with the real intelligence of the subjects,” the researchers said.
(I quotemined the fuck out of this. Read the damm article to see why my comment can be construed as misleading)

Southern

Post by Southern »

John Greg wrote:CO2 said:
That's what you get for doing videos with that guy nobody remembers.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

John Greg wrote:
:crying-blue:
Nice pasties, though.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

That's what you get for doing videos with that guy nobody remembers.
But, but, but....

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Sharon Hill weighs in on teh drama:
I’ve been APPALLED by self-styled “skeptical advocates” who have made a habit of jumping to convenient conclusions on a controversial issue instead of waiting for evidence to be verified or even to come out at all! Especially when it involves personalities that the individual dislikes, the drama-bloggers, facebook-swearers, and rage-tweeters are ever so quick to point fingers and call names. They feel obligated to state their opinion regarding even highly personal and subjective issues, even to the point of being libelous and defamatory.

Really poor skepticism abounds. There have been so many incidents of outrage theatre over the past few years where snap judgments (followed by a conviction and metaphorical execution) have been made – mostly about feminist, social justice or he-said/she-said disputes – based on poor or no evidence except someone’s story or second or third-hand claim. Or, let’s throw a fit simply because he/she really hates him/her. It’s been embarrassing to watch.

windy

Post by windy »

Maximus wrote:[youtube]HMUDVMiITOU[/youtube]

[youtube]Y5nnTmGAnSo[/youtube]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I wouldn't be putting any high expectations into Cara Santa Maria either, folks. Gee, how did she get to meet Ariana Huffington? How long did that last (the blog or the relationship)? How long has she had any of her other gigs? How'd grad school work out?

Best of luck to her, by all means, but a smarter and prettier version of Watson is still a Watson.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sunder wrote:Does anyone in the Pit have an opinion on MMT (Modern Monetary Theory) proponents?

I keep seeing the smug little fuckers popping up in other places I frequent and I'm starting to (perhaps unfairly) treat them the same way I treat the Pharynguloids: as a cultish clique who can't stop talking about how great they are.
All economics is voodoo economics.
It's the only system I know of where the top experts in the field admit that, much like Tinkerbell, how well it thrives is entirely up to how many people believe in it, and how strongly. :dance:

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Sulman wrote:Never let truth get in the way when you're peddling mendacious bullshit.
WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITE MEN WHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMEN
WHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMEN
WHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMENWHITEMEN

[youtube]4lQ_MjU4QHw[/youtube]

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

I'm not a huge fan of Cara Santa Maria because of those hipster glasses and that lip ring.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Shallow details, but they can say a lot about a person.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

For example, my head wound reveals that I'm the KiTTY risen from the electronics waste heap, three days after Gonkers cruelly shot me in the head.