Old subthreads
Badger3k

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Badger3k »

What happened to the second pic?

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

Sarlug wrote:Is anyone else starting to think that maybe the SJWs have a point? We keep seeing shit pop up about Groethe and Shermer, welch has done a good job showing why Sam Harris is being stupid about the profiling thing, and Dawkins' various "mild pedophilia" and "honey" gaffes are kinda starting to pile up, to the point where it almost seems like he's going senile or some shit.
I'm too old for idolizing people so I wouldn't really care if Dawkins and Harris were asshats in their private life. Not that I think they are. I'd stop reading their books when they'd start to write shitty ones.

For Shermer I really care even less. But it makes a difference to me if he's someone who leans towards stupid behaviour when he's drunk or if he rapes unconscious women.

All this doesn't change the pure despicability of what goes on in the SJW crowd. Pamela Gay is not where she is today because a drunk Shermer did something stupid to her in 2008. She's there because of her SJW friends. She incorporated enough BS from her skepchick friends that she would think it was brave and awesome to trash her employer on a public podium. A year later it's Poppy and company who publicize the 2008 case and again put her in a position she obviously cannot handle. And while she has another breakdown, this time in public, it's the FTB vultures who try to make money out of her misery. All the while congratulating themselves what fine human beings they are. These are not friends, they are abusers. And hopefully at some point Gay will notice that.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

HoneyWagon wrote:I just saw this tweet.
https://twitter.com/SecularWoman/status ... 7076980736

http://i.imgur.com/hByJ9Nt.png

Are they saying "female bodied people" because they think some people will be offended if it said "women"?
But don't post-op male to female transexuals consider themselves to be female bodied people?

It's almost like Judiths idea from 'The Life of Brian'
Here! I-- I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.
...Except in the case of Secular Women they think that post-op male to female transexuals should have the right to have an abortion.

[youtube]sFBOQzSk14c[/youtube]

didymos

Post by didymos »

HoneyWagon wrote:I just saw this tweet.
Are they saying "female bodied people" because they think some people will be offended if it said "women"?
Yes. And what's more, they still fail. I'm sure trans women who've had genital surgery consider themselves "female bodied", as do women with Complete Androgen Insensitivity. Also, they don't take into account that even if a woman has a uterus and ovaries and all that, she may not be capable of reproduction. She may be congenitally infertile, or infertile due to some other medical condition, or post-menopausal. Then there are the trans men who might still be capable of pregnancy but have already started transitioning by having top surgery and presenting as male and who no longer consider themselves "female bodied". They're erasing all those persons' existences, which is very, very bad social justice practice. They ought to have said "those human individuals possessing a full and functional complement of female reproductive organs, whatever their current gender identification may or may not be". Or just, you know, fucking "women" and let the context speak for itself.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Trophy wrote:
We need a forensic investigator :lol:. Here's another point: the guy to the far right in the first picture seems to holding a doll or something but in the second picture he is holding a bottle. So it seems considerable time has passed between them.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that he's holding a doll/teddy in the first picture and a bottle in the second - we don't see his other hand in either picture so he may have simply switched the bottle to his other hand in the meantime.
Some time has passed but I don't think we can say whether it's a few seconds or a much longer interval.
BTW, where did you find these pictures? I did a little bit of searching but couldn't come up with much.
It's not difficult.
Just google something to do with the event and look at the images (for example "dragoncon pimps party 2008") and then if you see a picture relating to the event (there are lots of parties at dragoncon, so lots of unrelated pictures) go to the page it is hosted on - particularly if it is part of a flickr album.

The pic of Shermer, Gay, Grothe and Sean McCabe comes from a flickr album of Tim Farley.
Some of the others come from the flickr page or some skepchick who doesn't seem to be involved with them any more.

German LurkBoatsman

Wow, new PopSci article is out:
http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/unpo ... n-invaders

I tried, but I can't bring myself to describe the pure inanity of the article. Summarize one HuffPo article, copy-paste some HuffPo comments for the lulz, put on your worried face for serious issues for one sentence because you're such a serious, serious person. Add two lame jokes. Done.

Rebecca Watson, science communication genius.

Ah, forgot: copy a picture from flickr despite its "no-commercial use" license.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Brive1987 wrote:Caine: stop being a moderator - problem goes away.

"Wait, umm, no"
Funny how Aneris, John Greg and I never get any shit for being mods (other than a bit of good-natured teasing at first).

Maybe it's not because someone is a mod. Maybe it's the moderation policies. Mods in places with iron-fisted moderation policies are going to be given the squink-eye much more than in communities that moderate with a light touch.

If some of the commentariat are giving her shit due to her "monitor" status, maybe it's because she's a totalitarian bitch anyway, one who helps oversee one of the most restrictive comment spaces on the internet. Maybe you should think about that, Caine, before your next whinefest about how poor poor widdle you is being mistreated.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Gumby wrote:What @Lazy_Savant tweeted was pretty dumb. Not because it was a death threat - obviously it wasn't, only the intentional drama whores at FtB etc. pretend it is - but because it plays right into the infinitely dishonest victim narrative these dingbats flaunt. Zvan just took the lead in the persecution points game these pathetic bumblers are always playing. She's waddling around hoisting that tweet like a fucking trophy.
I think a worst crime is that it wasn't even funny. I'm ok with lots of bullshit as long as it's funny.
Agree with that. I got the reference instantly, but FFS that movie is like twenty years old. The lambs stopped screaming a long time ago.

I haven't been following the Pit too closely lately - has it been established that @Lazy_Savant is even a Pitter? Maybe I'm biased but my instincts say no. Of course, the baboons will insist he is either way, but I was just curious.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Remick wrote: You and I agree. I just don't see the point in critizing a pentecostal type for playing golf sometimes. Go after him for conning people.

Same with Watson. Go after her, just don't be stupid about it.
Sure. What she does with her free time is not my problem - and besides, like I pointed out, I also spend my free time on videogames, and I'm no PZ Myers so I cannot #denounce her for something I do myself. I can, however, point out that her "free time" is kept artificially long by the virtue of not working and begging money for uninspired videos. And that I have a problem with, like a said a couple of times about a guy that does the same thing but on the opposite side of the room (The Amazing Atheist).

Of course, she's so lazy that she wasn't neither the first nor the more successful doing that; Anita Sarkeesian gobbled $120k for that.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Gumby wrote:What @Lazy_Savant tweeted was pretty dumb. Not because it was a death threat - obviously it wasn't, only the intentional drama whores at FtB etc. pretend it is - but because it plays right into the infinitely dishonest victim narrative these dingbats flaunt. Zvan just took the lead in the persecution points game these pathetic bumblers are always playing. She's waddling around hoisting that tweet like a fucking trophy.
I think a worst crime is that it wasn't even funny. I'm ok with lots of bullshit as long as it's funny.
Agree with that. I got the reference instantly, but FFS that movie is like twenty years old. The lambs stopped screaming a long time ago.

I haven't been following the Pit too closely lately - has it been established that @Lazy_Savant is even a Pitter? Maybe I'm biased but my instincts say no. Of course, the baboons will insist he is either way, but I was just curious.
He almost certainly wasn't a pitter since pitters are immediately placed at level 2 of the blockbot.
@Lazy_Savant was, at least before he made that Silenc of the Lambs joke, followed by aratina cage on twitter.
I think he has only now been added to the blockbot - level 2.

But if it was a real threat of murder (rather than a lame joke - that Svan spotted and immediately grabbed to use as pity fodder) you would expect him to be on level one, wouldn't you?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Pitchguest wrote:I'm starting to think Google's mission for YouTube is to find a new power source, namely to increase the frustration levels of its users to near destructive proportions so they can harness the screams for fuel.

I'm genuinely confused as to what they're trying to accomplish with this update. The default "share this on Google+" tick aside, you're unable to respond to old comments (and some new ones), you can't access the context of the comments you're responding to without opening up a new window, and they removed the 400 character cap marking the return of spam spam spam, lovely spam! From a business perspective, they are shooting themselves in the foot, spilling precious milk while biting the hand that feeds. What.
Maybe they detected Facebook losing some users and said to themselves, "Gentlemen! The hour is at hand. This is our time to shine. Let Google+ be the new thing, forever! First, Youtube, then, THE WORLD!"

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tapir wrote:http://i.imgur.com/kfGAhR0.jpg

I hope Zvan doesn't have a pace-maker.
Or that she took her rabies shot. Caine & Her Merry Band of Rats probably aren't very healthy to be around.

Southern

Re: Oh No! Now I've Done It. Again

Post by Southern »

mikelf wrote:
Southern wrote: But could someone please tell Swazan that if she wants someone to offend her, I could do that for free, in large ammounts and being as mean spirited as she would possibly want? Give me five minutes for inspiration.

I used to play DotA on the Battle.net (no moderation or punishment for trashtalking outside ladder playing, yay!), so I got a lot of experience in insults about sexuality, virginity (and the lack of, specifically the oral and anal ones), fatness, nationality, penile size (male AND female penises), and mom issues.
Gee, Mr. Southern, you're so special! I wish one day I could grow to be just like you!"
Yeah, but you can't, because I'm so special. Suck it, wage slave.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:She has recently introduced Native American words into her posting vocabulary, probably (it seems to me) as an attempt to control yet another piece of the social justice high ground amongst Phawrongula Horde.
I think that's so funny. She's been trying so hide to pose as a proud Lakota warrior, and it is so laughably phony and pretentious. Especially her going on the warpath (ha ha get it?) about the innocent use of the word "chief".

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 23500c.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Gumby wrote:

"Wait, umm, no"
Funny how Aneris, John Greg and I never get any shit for being mods (other than a bit of good-natured teasing at first).

Maybe it's not because someone is a mod. Maybe it's the moderation policies. Mods in places with iron-fisted moderation policies are going to be given the squink-eye much more than in communities that moderate with a light touch.

If some of the commentariat are giving her shit due to her "monitor" status, maybe it's because she's a totalitarian bitch anyway, one who helps oversee one of the most restrictive comment spaces on the internet. Maybe you should think about that, Caine, before your next whinefest about how poor poor widdle you is being mistreated.
Caine has always been a hard core pain. But since getting her badge she has developed a certain sense of ownership together with a policing, "prefect" tone.

The post that got me banned had (as well as a link to the silo article) a comment suggesting Caine get a new hobby. She had been complaining how tedious riding herd on the thred was re Shermer legals and the official FtB POV. If she could have issued lunch time detentions she would have.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
He almost certainly wasn't a pitter since pitters are immediately placed at level 2 of the blockbot.
@Lazy_Savant was, at least before he made that Silenc of the Lambs joke, followed by aratina cage on twitter.
I think he has only now been added to the blockbot - level 2.

But if it was a real threat of murder (rather than a lame joke - that Svan spotted and immediately grabbed to use as pity fodder) you would expect him to be on level one, wouldn't you?
I noticed that as well. Given the tendency for the baboons to go, well, apeshit over insults like these and pretend they are imminent death threats, it's amazing he wasn't placed at Level 1 no matter what. Zvan must be pissed at Oolio - How come other people's death threats are placed at Level One and I only rate a Level Two? That's not worth nearly as many persecution points!!! :lol:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

For all the claims that Lazy Savant's tweet was a death threat, it appears that the most shocked (shocked, I say!) of them knew from the outset that it was just a 'Silence of the Lambs' joke.

https://twitter.com/SpokesGay/status/398237314851155969

Funnily enough this makes it worse for Josh SpokesGay - since "SOTL was viciously transphobic".

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Oh Christ, has anyone posted this yet? :lol:
It's a music video made by the student union of Loughborough University.
At least that's what it claims to be. It's so bad, however, that a more likely explanation is that it's been made by students from another university to take the piss out of Loughborough.

[youtube]ZANlYjuQJ-4[/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Cheer up, Zvan, you're thin!

At least: your skin.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Oh Christ, has anyone posted this yet? :lol:
At least that's what it claims to be. It's so bad, however, that a more likely explanation is that it's been made by students from another university to take the piss out of Loughborough.

We should do one for Freethought blogs :lol: :lol:

F.T....F.T.F.T.F.T.B

Southern

Post by Southern »

welch wrote:
Apples wrote: Actually, you're right, given that he also says he spends $40 a month on "mental-health related beer and tacos" plus whatever he has to do to support his methylphenidate addiction.

Also - "I've always been indolent. I've always hated work unless I actually wanted to do it, which has been less frequent than my past employers would have liked."

Um - and this post is supposed to motivate me to help you pay your bills with money that I earned by doing work that I didn't actually want to do?
Seriously. I didn't WANT to have an extra job and go to school full time while I was in the military. But that's what I had to do to get the things done I wanted to. So I sucked it up and didn't sleep a lot. If I had to do it again, I'd hate it, but I'd do it, because sometimes, that's how life is.
It's lovely how they keep talking about how they hate to work, as if everybody else just loved to wake up earlier in the morning (or stay up until later in the night) and go to work. No, Ophie, Clark, Twatson, Amazingly Fat Atheist, my dears; you're not the only ones that don't like to go to work. But you're part of that category that don't like to go to work (yet are capable of working) and instead opt for beg for money.

A hobo masturbating on the street to Poor Jen to look at it at least can be excused of not working because of potential health and psychiatric problems. Rebecca's excuse is, what? Alcoholism?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:Wow, new PopSci article is out:

I tried, but I can't bring myself to describe the pure inanity of the article. Summarize one HuffPo article, copy-paste some HuffPo comments for the lulz, put on your worried face for serious issues for one sentence because you're such a serious, serious person. Add two lame jokes. Done.

These sort of articles should at least try to teach people something they didn't already know. The only new thing I learned from this one was the meaning of the word trebuchet - a medieval war catapult - and even then I had to google it myself, there was no explanation or link to an explanation and I'm guessing it is not a word that everyone knows.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
Just be thankful it wasn't Steffanny Zvan's ass.
You could have the entire convention sign that.

*SMOOCH* GOOD NIGHT, DAMION!

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Poor guy goes through life with a photoshopped head. Must be awful.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

http://i.imgur.com/zFzuEsq.png

Sadly Caine, despite your claims there is nothing inherently racist about 'chief.'
n.
1. One who is highest in rank or authority; a leader.

2.a. A chief petty officer.
b. Nautical The chief engineer of a ship.

3. Slang A boss.
4. Heraldry The upper section of a shield.
5. The most important or valuable part.

adj.
1. Highest in rank, authority, or office.

2. Most important or influential. See Usage Note at absolute.
adv.
When I think it 'Chief' I don't' think of Indians. I think of ships and Chief Petty Officers. I think of police and the Chief of Police. I think of KP duty and being "Chief Bottle Washer" (as well as Latrine Queen). In your case Caine, I think of "Chief Asshole," as in leading, primary and/or biggest.

None of which has anything to do with any Indian blood you may have.

Also, why you have no de jure authority, as head pitchfork wielder in what passes for mob-pile-on-justice, you have de facto authority which you wield on a daily basis. And you're quite well aware of that. Even as you pretend you're just a helpless victim.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Or hey're just trying to be the new Rebecca Black. There were a lot of immitators on the wake of the "Friday" video. "We cannot be popular because we have no talent for music, maybe we can get popular by sucking!"

Southern

Post by Southern »

Someone please tell the people in charge of the SJW future conventions to make this their instructional video:

[youtube]_LEJ6tZI7_k[/youtube]

Problem solved.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

AndrewV69 wrote:So is this the "Death Threat"?
Does not look as if it was actually tweeted to the black swan (to me anyway).

Isn't that a Silence of the Lambs reference? Which I take to be a dig made about Svan being fat, because the female victims were fat in order to have plenty of skin for skinning.

Also, who is Lazy Savant?

Last, since it becomes clear that he's been blocked by Svan, et.al., how is it that they saw the tweet he made to one person without their obsessively following everything he says/does on twitter? At what point do they realize we can all see how obsessed they are with their drama-blogging lifestyle? And that all but the most dense will eventually catch-on and move away from the drama-filled A+ movement?

I've never seen such a group of idiots with so little shame in my life. They go out of their way to be insulted. To find those insults. To fill themselves, on a daily basis, with reinforcements to their perceived victim-hood like a dog eating its vomit.

German LurkBoatsman

Dick Strawkins wrote:The only new thing I learned from this one was the meaning of the word trebuchet - a medieval war catapult - and even then I had to google it myself, there was no explanation or link to an explanation and I'm guessing it is not a word that everyone knows.
Rebecca does not only know what a trebuchet is, she also can exactly tell you how fast it moves, what ressources you need to build one and how many attack points it has when you fire it upon a city.

Things that school or a college education won't teach you!

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Trebuchet_%28Civ5%29

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Regarding TSA at airports: I call bullshit on the whole thing. If it is meant to fend off terrorist attacks, why is it not implemented in train stations as well? Sure, you can't run a train into a building, but your average TGV carries about 1000 people at 360km/h. And there is no security check, anyone could board a fucking train with a fucking bomb in their backpack.

So, what's the catch?
Just ask someone from Madrid.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tribble wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So is this the "Death Threat"?
Does not look as if it was actually tweeted to the black swan (to me anyway).

Isn't that a Silence of the Lambs reference? Which I take to be a dig made about Svan being fat, because the female victims were fat in order to have plenty of skin for skinning.

Also, who is Lazy Savant?

Last, since it becomes clear that he's been blocked by Svan, et.al., how is it that they saw the tweet he made to one person without their obsessively following everything he says/does on twitter? At what point do they realize we can all see how obsessed they are with their drama-blogging lifestyle? And that all but the most dense will eventually catch-on and move away from the drama-filled A+ movement?

I've never seen such a group of idiots with so little shame in my life. They go out of their way to be insulted. To find those insults. To fill themselves, on a daily basis, with reinforcements to their perceived victim-hood like a dog eating its vomit.
It is obvious to everyone that it's a fat joke about Svan.
But obsessively trawling twitter to dredge up fat jokes about yourself doesn't quite carry the victim cred that can be generated by a single death threat, which is why they are playing up that rather tenuous angle of the tweet.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Trophy wrote:
Analyzing mere pictures of a party that none of us has attended is not really very reliable, however, now that I take a closer look at the two pictures above, Shermer's body language fits the kind of guy who pushes too hard in flirting and hitting on women.

The first picture: He has his arm wrapped around her but we don't see her other hand and it seems it's dangling by her side, sandwiched between her and him. If true, it means she was not interested in "hugging him" (which would have been an implicit nod from her to escalate the level of intimacy). Also, there's a gap between Shermer and DJ and the picture doesn't look like a group photo.

The second picture: Shermer is now grabbing her very firmly and there is no way for her to get away unless she uses some level of physical force. Again, that's very consistent with a guy who hits heavily on women and who uses some level of "force" (typical examples are guys who don't let their target get away without some level of force; they hold her hand, or hold her in a tight embrace in dancing, etc.). And in this picture there is no group. There is "cover". If you look at this picture you see a couple and another guy who awkwardly stands away.

The combination of these two pictures is damning for Shermer. It shows that he had his arm wrapped around her for some time, at least long enough for two pictures in two different configurations to be taken. This in turn means that the wrapped arm was not done in a moment of "excitement" or "happiness" or any other reading that doesn't have sexual undertones. In other words, you can't say "Maybe he was happy to see her so he hugged her" or "they were just taking pictures and he was being friendly". On the other hand, I don't see any evidence that she reciprocated any of this.

So basically, I'm not rejecting any other reading of these pictures but I'm saying that the reading that is most consistent (at least in my opinion) is the one in which Shermer was heavily hitting on her against her obvious disinterest, and most likely with some level of force.
Ah, ha ha ha ha ha ha... That's your projection as you use rumor and innuendo to prove the supposed fact.

Here's the photos she posts of facebook: https://www.facebook.com/starstryder?sk=photos According to your analysis Neil DeGrasse Tyson is like that. Phil Plait is like that. All kinds of men and women I don't know from Adam are like that.

Hmmm.... Maybe something else is going on. Like a party/social occassion with some people who are touchy-feely extroverts and don't have a problem with that kind of stuff. And certain other people are NOT. And the NOT group, as they tend to do, lack both the awareness and social skills to understand it or avoid it.

Besides, Shermer prefers rabbits anyway:

http://blueollie.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =600&h=800

That makes as much sense as anything you posted.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Southern wrote:
Remick wrote: You and I agree. I just don't see the point in critizing a pentecostal type for playing golf sometimes. Go after him for conning people.

Same with Watson. Go after her, just don't be stupid about it.
Sure. What she does with her free time is not my problem - and besides, like I pointed out, I also spend my free time on videogames, and I'm no PZ Myers so I cannot #denounce her for something I do myself. I can, however, point out that her "free time" is kept artificially long by the virtue of not working and begging money for uninspired videos. And that I have a problem with, like a said a couple of times about a guy that does the same thing but on the opposite side of the room (The Amazing Atheist).

Of course, she's so lazy that she wasn't neither the first nor the more successful doing that; Anita Sarkeesian gobbled $120k for that.

Which was the point you and I both made. Had she gone to Disney World, I'd have said the same thing. Games/gaming had nothing to do with it. Being utterly lazy and flaunting it while other people support you after your 'poor me, pity-pot' begging fest is the issue.

In my book she's nothing more a low-talent, self-entitled Princess that doesn't even the grace to be circumspect regards the fact that she would rather beg for money than do anything 'beneath her station' like a dirty job. And I don't care if I 'offend her' by pointing this out, no matter who tries to concern troll me over an 'argument' I didn't make.

Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Tribble wrote:Really liked Gefan's new video.
Agreed, another very amusing video. Thank you Gefan. :clap:

I won't be able to add a comment on your channel , like I often do, as Goggle+ is needed now and that's not for me. :(

So be rewarded by my praise here. Eagerly awaiting the next instalment of the Historical Peezus saga, that was your best video so far.

Southern

Post by Southern »

So...

Making a distasteful Silence of the Lambs's reference = bad, awful, death threat.

Making a distasteful Cards Against Humanity reference = good fun.

Roger that. So I'll do a CAH reference in regards to Svan, right now! The rules:

1) I'll use the cards from the actual game (from http://www.cardsagainsthumanity.com/pdf ... inGame.pdf)
2) I'll chose a black card with a feminine reference on it, and change it "Stephania Svan". The remainder text will not be modified.
3) I'll then choose 10 (ten) white cards with the answers and you guys choose the best one. Again, no changing on the text from the actual game cards.

Black card:
"Maybe she Stephany Svan's born with it. Maybe it's _______________"

White card 1:
"Child abuse."

White card 2:
"Penis envy."

White card 3:
"Smegma."

White card 4:
"The placenta."

White card 5:
"Obesity."

White card 6:
"Leprosy."

White card 7:
"Menstrual rage."

White card 8:
"A brain tumor."

White card 9:
"Man meat."

White card 10:
"Being fat and stupid."

I hope she doesn't mind, because, according to BRAYTON (2013):
It's OK. It's a quote from Cards Against Humanity. The whole point is to be horrible.
Have a nice day, Stephie.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

YES! I saw this last night (incidentally it was the ever amusing and infamous @LazySavant on Twitter who shared it).
Look at the comments. Only 27 of them and one of them is from Adam Buxton (I checked the account and it's actually him!!!! *SQUEE!*).

Brilliant video. I've been singing it all morning.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

justinvacula

This weekend...

Post by justinvacula »

http://i.imgur.com/a86tg1q.jpg
c/o Strawkins

I will be travelling to attend the 2013 November 8-10 Pennsylvania Counseling Association conference in State College, Pennsylvania with fellow Marywood University students to advance my graduate-level academic pursuits and report via Twitter, Facebook, and Brave Hero Radio on my trusty laptop.

http://justinvacula.com/2013/11/08/penn ... reporting/

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Bjarte Headcase

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Bjarte Headcase.
That's genius.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ah, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... That was damn good. Loved the frozen peas tie in.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

"Wait, umm, no"
S/h/it/chief can be a mod here, if s/h/it/chief wants.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Orwellia has a post up about the Columbine High School killers.
The article I’m reading in Slate is from 2004, and it’s about what the FBI ended up concluding about why Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris shot up Columbine High School. It wasn’t because they were bullied; they weren’t. Klebold was depressed and suicidal, and Harris was a psychopath.
Says she is interested in psychopathy.

You can leave it to her commentariat to read between the lines and to connect the dots.
Die-in-a-fire Wowbagger, Designated Snarker wrote:
And yet a group of people wonder why we recoil in horror when one of the leaders of that group ‘jokes’ about making a suit out of the skin of one of our friends, and why we want to distance ourselves from them for endorsing such behaviour.
Yes, DIAF Wowbagger is that hypocritical.
And yet a group of people wonder why we recoil in horror when one of the leaders of that group ‘jokes’ about wanting someone to die in a fire, and why we want to distance ourselves from them for endorsing such behaviour.
In addition, since when is a random Twitter user who doesn't even post on the 'Pit "one of the leaders of that group"? The 'Pit doesn't have and doesn't need leaders.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... d-klebold/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Southern wrote:So...

Making a distasteful Silence of the Lambs's reference = bad, awful, death threat.

Making a distasteful Cards Against Humanity reference = good fun.

Roger that. So I'll do a CAH reference in regards to Svan, right now! The rules:

1) I'll use the cards from the actual game (from http://www.cardsagainsthumanity.com/pdf ... inGame.pdf)
2) I'll chose a black card with a feminine reference on it, and change it "Stephania Svan". The remainder text will not be modified.
3) I'll then choose 10 (ten) white cards with the answers and you guys choose the best one. Again, no changing on the text from the actual game cards.

Black card:
"Maybe she Stephany Svan's born with it. Maybe it's _______________"

White card 1:
"Child abuse."

White card 2:
"Penis envy."

White card 3:
"Smegma."

White card 4:
"The placenta."

White card 5:
"Obesity."

White card 6:
"Leprosy."

White card 7:
"Menstrual rage."

White card 8:
"A brain tumor."

White card 9:
"Man meat."

White card 10:
"Being fat and stupid."

I hope she doesn't mind, because, according to BRAYTON (2013):
It's OK. It's a quote from Cards Against Humanity. The whole point is to be horrible.
Have a nice day, Stephie.
Pixellated bukkake
Elf cum

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Jan Steen wrote: In addition, since when is a random Twitter user who doesn't even post on the 'Pit "one of the leaders of that group"? The 'Pit doesn't have and doesn't need leaders.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... d-klebold/
This is why I find concern trolling in the movement (especially the Pit) to be so pointless when it comes to dealing with Skepchick/FTB criticisms made by us or others. The only appropriate course of actoin for us is to 'shut up' and/or 'go die in a fire' depending on the asshole-level of the FTB/Skepchick poster.

A guy makes a fat joke and the 'ever searching for drama' FTB crowd turns it into a death threat and the 'Pit is linked. Despite the fact that the 'Pit had nothing to do with it and it's a FAT JOKE.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@Strawkins
In the shitty university video have you seen the lass at 1:47?
What is going on with her eyes? Cocaine?

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Tribble wrote:Hmmm.... Maybe something else is going on. Like a party/social occassion with some people who are touchy-feely extroverts and don't have a problem with that kind of stuff. And certain other people are NOT. And the NOT group, as they tend to do, lack both the awareness and social skills to understand it or avoid it.
I love it when people rail again speculations by calling them "rumor" and "innuendos" and then proceed to offer their own :lol:.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
German LurkBoatsman wrote:Wow, new PopSci article is out:

These sort of articles should at least try to teach people something they didn't already know. The only new thing I learned from this one was the meaning of the word trebuchet - a medieval war catapult - and even then I had to google it myself, there was no explanation or link to an explanation and I'm guessing it is not a word that everyone knows.
Play some video games.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:@Strawkins
In the shitty university video have you seen the lass at 1:47?
What is going on with her eyes? Cocaine?
At least the next girl did something positive to disprove those racist assumptions about black girls being great singers.
Imagine having your name linked to that video and it being your top hit on google!
You'd be inclined to release a sex tape, just to lower the embarrassment level!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Although most of the people concerned are block-botted, don't forget that the usual lickspittles patrol twitter.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:
Sulaco wrote:The DoE (I think) also conducted a test to see if a reactor cooling tower could survive the impact of a plane. So they rammed and old F4 into one. Great footage, the plane basically disintegrated on impact. I think I watched this on Nova on PBS years ago and the test was done in the 70's.
I seriously doubt that.

First off, I like to joke that if terrorists crash a plane into a nuclear power plant they would surely go for the cooling tower. a) it's the biggest target, b) many people seem to confuse the cooling tower with the power plant, c) the effect of doing that is basically zilch or nada. Sure, the plant would auto-shutdown and cooling would be somewhat compromised, but that's basically it as long as everybody at the site knows their shit.

I'm not aware of any experiment with F4s on real cooling towers. There were tests with ramming them into massive concrete walls and observing the damage/calculating the impact force. Here's an example:

[youtube]xM8E-CogkYE[/youtube]

The parts that produce the apparent 'pulverization' effect is mainly the fuselage. The main impact on the other hand is shelled out by the engine. At airplane speed that's a dense block of heavy metal that can go thru a lot of stuff including concrete walls. It would almost for sure go through the walls of a cooling tower because they aren't that thick as they don't have to be.

The main thing is if the reactor building would withstand an impact. If not, you'd have a release of some radioactivity really fast and, depending on the amount and type of secondary damages, maybe a catastrophic release of fission materials.

Now, the reactor buildings do have thick concrete walls but if they can withstand the damage done by a plane crash is really in doubt. Most commercial reactors today would probably withstand an F4 but not necessarily an A380. American authorities tend to be optimistic what their reactors can withstand, German authorities seem to be more pessimistic.

As for the 1970s and 9/11 style attacks, German reactors were tested then if the could withstand kamikaze like attacks from F4, but no one seems to have thought about captured commercial planes.
Ya, that was the footage. I just thought it was pretty neat to see a plane go splat, not that "the terrorists" are going to do this. The conversation jogged my memory about the footage. I'll be more clear in the future.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Trophy wrote:
Tribble wrote:Hmmm.... Maybe something else is going on. Like a party/social occassion with some people who are touchy-feely extroverts and don't have a problem with that kind of stuff. And certain other people are NOT. And the NOT group, as they tend to do, lack both the awareness and social skills to understand it or avoid it.
I love it when people rail again speculations by calling them "rumor" and "innuendos" and then proceed to offer their own :lol:.

Right. Let me highlight a certain qualifier in the rhetorical phrase since you're too busy trolling instead of thinking.

That whole word 'MAYBE' is a big fucking clue. While YOU were clearly advocating a definite mode of behavior, I was highlighting one of many prosaic, common possibilities. All without pretending I, through my fucking Ninja Photo Analysis Skill, actually knew what was going on.

Your analysis, stupid and shallow as it was, was predicated on the accepted truth of Michael Shermer, Potential Date Rapist allegations about his conduct. I'm merely pointing ONE of MANY possible generic human interaction interpretations that don't rely on Michael Shermer being a Potential Date Rapist.

I also showed that this very same behavior was commonly engaged in by other members of the community as shown in her Facebook albums. Yet you gave us the in-depth (idiotic) analysis of Michael Shermer, Potential DAte Rapist interpretation. All you left out was refilling wine glasses.

Your analysis was childish and idiotic. And I'm done talking about it since you're clearly going to run down the rabbit hole. (That's a fucking metaphor.)

Southern

Post by Southern »

Gefan, your Bjarte Foshaug video is awesome. Thank you for the laughs!

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

@Tribble:

Oh my, those are some big red letters, they almost made me miss those bold black ones. Anyways, I assure you I didn't miss your "maybe". In fact, that's why I called it speculation. Your reaction is still funny though since I also used a similar language of doubt and uncertainty.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

http://i.imgur.com/sg90Q0N.png
Aneris wrote:@Service Dog... it might be hipster ironic, still WTF!?
The wording of your reply brings to mind the SJW term "hipster racism" or "ironic racism", as touted by Lindy West at Jezebel:

http://jezebel.com/5905291/a-complete-g ... ter-racism

Likewise:

At best, the SJWs are looking for Easy Answers: a Zero Tolerance prohibition on certain words and images, to spare themselves the Cognitive Dissonance of acknowledging that Competing Values come with trade-off costs. (sacrificing Freedom for Security, for example.)

At worst, the SJWs are intentionally spinning a web of nonsensical Gotcha rules; so their political opponents will be in perpetual violation.

I think blatantly violating their social rulemaking, and sticking-around to defend my questionable choices, is an effective strategy.

All this SJW political correctness is just an attempt to dress-up the same old smallmindedness in a guise of high-mindedness.

As always, I cite Paul Fussell's book "Class",
https://web.archive.org/web/20040313073 ... status.htm

I agree with Fussell's opinion: aversion to rude words (and to Art containing pointed jabs) is specific to the middle-class. The upper and lower class speak forthrightly, without histronics. Concerned PTA Mothers shouldn't be tacitly empowered to decide which epithets Other People are allowed to use, any more than they should decide whether Evolution is allowed in schools.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Southern wrote:Gefan, your Bjarte Foshaug video is awesome. Thank you for the laughs!
True dat.
"As funny as a burning orphanage, for a moment I thought it was upside down"

Southern

Post by Southern »

Service Dog wrote:http://i.imgur.com/sg90Q0N.png
Aneris wrote:@Service Dog... it might be hipster ironic, still WTF!?
The wording of your reply brings to mind the SJW term "hipster racism" or "ironic racism", as touted by Lindy West at Jezebel:

http://jezebel.com/5905291/a-complete-g ... ter-racism

Likewise:

At best, the SJWs are looking for Easy Answers: a Zero Tolerance prohibition on certain words and images, to spare themselves the Cognitive Dissonance of acknowledging that Competing Values come with trade-off costs. (sacrificing Freedom for Security, for example.)

At worst, the SJWs are intentionally spinning a web of nonsensical Gotcha rules; so their political opponents will be in perpetual violation.

I think blatantly violating their social rulemaking, and sticking-around to defend my questionable choices, is an effective strategy.

All this SJW political correctness is just an attempt to dress-up the same old smallmindedness in a guise of high-mindedness.

As always, I cite Paul Fussell's book "Class",
https://web.archive.org/web/20040313073 ... status.htm

I agree with Fussell's opinion: aversion to rude words (and to Art containing pointed jabs) is specific to the middle-class. The upper and lower class speak forthrightly, without histronics. Concerned PTA Mothers shouldn't be tacitly empowered to decide which epithets Other People are allowed to use, any more than they should decide whether Evolution is allowed in schools.
Bravo, sir/madam. I give you my enthusiastic agreement.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
You'd never heard of a trebuchet before? What kind of monsters were your parents??? Why, we were building those in our backyard and launching chunks of concrete at the neighbors by the time we were 12 :D