Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
FrankGrimes

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by FrankGrimes »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/show ... finds.html

AlJazeera has an article about Occidental College in Los Angeles and it's problems with serial rapists.
The report is OK, basically reiterating what we know from previous studies - namely that college sexual assaults tend to occur when the woman is very drunk and are carried out by a small number of men who are multiple offenders.
In addition, reporting of these assaults to the college itself doesn't seem to be an ideal solution - they are inexperienced and inefficient at dealing with something that is really a criminal matter that should be dealt with by the police.

The other problem is the solution suggested by one of the activists from the college:
“I think the clearest definition of consent would be verbal consent,” Heldman said. “It would be affirmative, willing, active, enthusiastic ‘yes,’” she said. “I think 'Yes means yes'…should be the campaign slogan for consent on college campuses.”
This idea of "enthusiastic consent" is gaining traction all around the SJW sphere of influence.

And yet it is horribly flawed.

On the surface enthusiastic consent sounds blindingly obvious. Two people flirting with each other decide to simultaneously move it on to the next level and both say "yes, lets do it!"

What could possible go wrong.

Yes, means yes, doesn't it?

Enthusiastic consent was given. No need to worry, right?

Let's put aside some side issues (regarding exactly what acts the "yes" provided enthusiastic consent for; and whether there is a chance that enthusiastic consent was non-verbally withdrawn at any stage in the subsequent sexual activity) and just imagine a simple situation where they both say "yes" to sexual intercourse, they go ahead and have sex and then fall asleep in the same bed.
In other words a situation that has happened at some point or other to almost every sexually active person.

The problem here, and one that despite the furious protests of the SJW brigade seems common to almost ever case of college rape, is alcohol, and specifically the fact that alcohol can cause blackouts in drinkers.

<snipped>
I saw bits of that on telle earlier tonight. Seemed harmless enough but what's with the "enthusiastic" bit? Isn't the word "consent" enough? Are SJW's trying to get this written into law?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

FrankGrimes wrote:
I saw bits of that on telle earlier tonight. Seemed harmless enough but what's with the "enthusiastic" bit? Isn't the word "consent" enough? Are SJW's trying to get this written into law?[/quote]

I guess it is to make a distinction between passive consent (not saying "no") and active consent (saying "yes".)
I've not seen any calls for it to be put into law but the idea of promoting this notion of active consent is certainly something that is gaining momentum amongst the SJWs.
It's not exactly a bad idea, but as I mentioned previously, it runs up against problems such as the alcoholic blackout scenarios.

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

That b&w thread keeps on giving:
Alex wrote:You seriously think that the stuff Richard Dawkins wastes his life on (helping that handful poor atheists at coming out) is so important in light of the global problems we have nowadays?
"See, we're here to make the atheist movement more inclusive and welcoming so we can attract waaay more people into the movement. So, first, let's forget about atheism..."

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I used to think that alcoholic blackouts were situations where people passed out due to excessive alcohol. In a college party situation this would result in someone who is obviously incapacitated and incapable of any form of consent (hence the standard image of the predator carrying the unconscious girl to the bedroom where he can rape her.)

But I was wrong.
I learned that alcoholic blackouts do not have to mean incapacitation.
People think of 'date rape drugs' as downers like Special-K or Roofies.

But the recipe for a walking blackout is to combine booze with uppers such as cocaine and caffeine. The most frequent, unintentional date-rape drugs may be self-administered:

I know a woman who stopped drinking alcohol-- after mixing liquor with coffee once put her into 'sleepwalking' state where she paced-around a house party, snarling insults at friends, shoving, kicking them in the shins. She has a PhD in computer chip design, and usually has an analytical 'math teacher' demeanor. She says the blackout happened seamlessly: she remembers being mid-conversation, and suddenly she wasn't 'there' anymore. A couple hours later, friends were taking-turns corralling her, and she came back 'online' in the middle of a rant. She was energetic and on her feet the whole time.

I think the Al Jazeera report comes-close to admitting that the line is unclear between "serial rapist" and "guy who gets laid with a different girl every night."
“They've perfected ways of identifying who on campus, for example, are most vulnerable...”
I have reservations about use of phrases like 'targeting the most vulnerable' to describe guys who learn to spot the women most-likely to have one-night-stands.

The article makes it sound like there's a type of guy who shoves-aside three horny, sober girls-- who are offering Enthusiastic Crystal Clear Consent-- so he can get to their wobbling, delirious, miserable friend, who just wants to be left alone to puke. I'm sure such guys exist, and I think they're actively rapists.

But-- a guy who chooses between 3 girls on the basis of which one is sending the most Enthusiastic signals-- isn't intentionally "targeting" the drunk girl, even if it's the consistently the drunk one who is clearly hot-to-trot.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tigzy wrote:
Dr Carrier's Delightful Ditty

O welcome, one an all,
To Doctor Carrier's cavalcade,
Of wondrous amusements, a veritable parade,
A tour-de-force of philosophical rapport.

So come look, one an all,
And delight in my use of imaginative notation,
Amongst splendid raiments bearing Solon's quotation,
Some splendid wear for fashion this Fall.

Oh don't...go, one an all,
I mean, I've only just started,
My wisdom hardly imparted,
And yet you're treating me like a common bore!

Oh please return, one an all,
Please come back, don't turn your backs,
Speaking of which - my paperbacks!

Ah, bollocks to yer, one an all,
Bunch of chuds, completely against us,
Yeah, you're not wanted by atheism plus!
So fuck off from my stall.

Hello, Opheli - aw!
You say athesim plus is now -
oh.
:laughing-rolling: :crying-pink:

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Tribble wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Anybody that believes "people of color" cannot be racist need only visit certain neighborhoods and they will be disabused of that notion very quickly. If they survive. Dumbfucks. There's also a huge Korean community where I live, and a large black community. Their prevailing views of one another are often "colorful." How would one describe that? Racism seems to fit the bill just fine..
I spent a significant part of my youth growing up in San Francisco. Let me tell you, Asians are among the most racist people I've met in my life. Especially against other Asians with the Japanese being particularly bad, but the Koreans and Chinese playing right along with them.

Now, the reason the 'Japanese win' in my book is because they're racist even against themselves such as being from the wrong island (Okinawa) or ethnic sub-group (Ainu). Plus the racism can even extend to descendents of former Japanese colonies or those born and raised abroad, such as Japanese-Americans from Hawaii or California who are not considered 'real' Japanese.

That isn't to downplay other racism. I've seen it in all ethnic groups in my life. But to pretend there isn't racism among other ethnic subgroups toward other ethnic subgroups, including minority-on-majority racism is just stupid.
I didn't understand until I spent some time in Spain about the Spanish hierarchy regarding South America; they're really bad towards each other in certain quarters. Bolivian? You're lowest of the low.

South Africa is interesting, too. For a country recently defined by race, some South Africans can be very focused on it. I don't mean in necessarily racist fashion, but in the incessant description and categorisation of differen races. The Indians get in on it too, dividing themselves up between Islam and Hinduism. It's fascinating, and utterly different from Europe or the US (that I've seen).

welch

Post by welch »

Carrier Artillery Generator:

Oh, I'm Carrier the eighth I am
I'm Carrier the eighth I am I am.
I got married to the woman next door,
She's been married seven times before.
Every last of them was a Carrier,
She wouldn't have a Harry or a Sam!
So I'm Carrier the eighth I am,
I'm Carrier the eighth I am I am!
Next verse, same as the first!
Oh....

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

It was back in aught six when old "Asymptomatic" Carrier was in charge of the intellectual artillery - and let me tell you, there wasn't a one of of us who didn't wonder how that promotion came about - when he got it in his head to take up with a group of anarchists. Which was bad enough, the man was a colonel in the rhetorical army by the Devil! But this particular group was "anarchists plus" which made things even more embarrassing.

They talked a better talk than most about blowing up this political opponent or that, but at the end of every meeting they ever had they mumbled their good-byes and shuffled on home to their mothers. Except one time, shortly after Asymptomatic joined them, when they were greatly agitated by some visiting lecturer dismissing them as irrelevant buffoons. This would not stand, declared Carrier, and that very night he ordered his intellectual artillery to be set up outside the lecture hall.

And with great harrumphing old Asymptomatic fired his intellectual artillery at the lecture hall, salvo after salvo being delievered in a deliberate tour de force. The poor bastard, no one noticed him obviously since he was outside the hall. No one except an elderly widow living across the street, who called the police on him. When the unfortunate constables got there they took the "A+"-emblazoned flag Carrier was waving for a flag of surrender and were quite surprsied by his scratching and biting resistance while they dragged him away.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Brive1987 wrote:Benson thinks there is a problem that can be summed up as:

"Saudi women are not allowed to drive, therefore people who blog about feminism should shut up"

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-752771

Talk about a dichotomy. I've commented the obvious:
By all means spend a lifetime rewriting conference codes, decrying sexist language or debating drunk sex. Just don’t expect anybody much to give a damn or take you as seriously as someone saving lives and risking all for a selfless cause.
What's the bet the response is "but where have we ever drawn such an equivalency?"
This is Ophie's response:
Wtf? What IS that? What is this ridiculous assumption that I do expect anybody much to give a damn or take me as seriously as someone saving lives and risking all for a selfless cause? When have I ever run around shouting that I expect everybody to give a damn and take me as seriously as, say, Leo Igwe? When? When have I? EVER?
Fucking loon. And still, the disdainful haughtiness comes through. When Ophie gets cross, I can't help but liken her to Lady Catherine from Pride & Prejudice:

http://youtu.be/mgFgxgpfre0?t=6m

windy

Post by windy »

TedDahlberg wrote:It was back in aught six when old "Asymptomatic" Carrier was in charge of the intellectual artillery...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

katamari Damassi wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Avicenna comes down like a ton of bricks on the SJW crowd who are giving Ophie shit :popcorn: : http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... etting-it/

If this is the start of an FTB/A+ schism, then I look forward to Carrier's inevitable tour-de-force of a meltdown owver the whole thing.
Wow! Just checked that out. I noticed that the only pharyngutard who commented was Sally Strange and she basically said "See FfTB isn't a hivemind!" (my paraphrase).
Still, does anyone want to start a pool as to when Avicenna departs for Patheos?
Why would he? He's defending FTB insiders against some nasty aplussers. I haven't seen him call out fellow FTBers for concentrating on "white people's problems".

And the A+ folks, crazy as they are, have a point in that it's inconsistent to cry "this is RAYP!" as Ophelia and Acharya did, and at the same time argue that it's okay to post the photo since it's an accepted practice in that culture.

Really?

Post by Really? »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Avicenna comes down like a ton of bricks on the SJW crowd who are giving Ophie shit :popcorn: : http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... etting-it/

If this is the start of an FTB/A+ schism, then I look forward to Carrier's inevitable tour-de-force of a meltdown owver the whole thing.
Wow! Just checked that out. I noticed that the only pharyngutard who commented was Sally Strange and she basically said "See FfTB isn't a hivemind!" (my paraphrase).
Still, does anyone want to start a pool as to when Avicenna departs for Patheos?
Holy crap! Those first two are spambots. She allowed through comments from spambots. FTB would have problems grading a Turing Test.

And I love how spambots are welcome on her blog, but disagreement would likely get you banned.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

windy wrote: Why would he? He's defending FTB insiders against some nasty aplussers. I haven't seen him call out fellow FTBers for concentrating on "white people's problems".

And the A+ folks, crazy as they are, have a point in that it's inconsistent to cry "this is RAYP!" as Ophelia and Acharya did, and at the same time argue that it's okay to post the photo since it's an accepted practice in that culture.
Well s/h/it did sort of profane Our Lady of Perpetual Victimhood. I'd love to read what PZ is saying on the back channel right now.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote:I saw bits of that on telle earlier tonight. Seemed harmless enough but what's with the "enthusiastic" bit? Isn't the word "consent" enough? Are SJW's trying to get this written into law?
I guess it is to make a distinction between passive consent (not saying "no") and active consent (saying "yes".)
I've not seen any calls for it to be put into law but the idea of promoting this notion of active consent is certainly something that is gaining momentum amongst the SJWs.
It's not exactly a bad idea, but as I mentioned previously, it runs up against problems such as the alcoholic blackout scenarios.
Swedish feminist have lobbied for enthusiastic consent to become law here for quite a few years now. It was suggested but removed from the final law when our rape laws was changed in 2005, and it was again suggested to become law in 2010 in a government report/evaluation of current law, but never made it.

After a controversial not guilty verdict in a gang rape case around a month ago, the issue has been brought up again by feminist organizations, politicians, journalists/oppinionist and law professor Madeleine Leijonhufvud, and they pushed quite hard in media for a reform of the current law.

katamari Damassi

I was looking for Ophie's original copy pasta that started the shit storm, but I can't find it. Was it memory holed?
I did see a lot of anti-Islam posts though and am surprised that she hasn't received a backlash on that.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Here's a blast from the past:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 ... underf00t/

Some of the comments are quite amusing, given hindsight.

windy

Post by windy »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:Windy, not sure about the (or a) mobile version. My phone seems to use a different template, but you know, eye witnesses and all that...
Yep, the weird FTB layout with black borders is a mobile thingy:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... 1c986a.png

(this is on my desktop though)

windy

Post by windy »

katamari Damassi wrote:I was looking for Ophie's original copy pasta that started the shit storm, but I can't find it. Was it memory holed?
I did see a lot of anti-Islam posts though and am surprised that she hasn't received a backlash on that.
The post is still there but she took the photo down (she's "tired of the shouting").

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ty-tested/

katamari Damassi

windy wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I was looking for Ophie's original copy pasta that started the shit storm, but I can't find it. Was it memory holed?
The post is still there but she took the photo down (she's "tired of the shouting").

Thanks for the link. Wow! No one comes out if that looking good. Facebook was correct to remove the photo. When you establish an FB account you agree to their TOS. You don't get to dictate that. The A Plussers have a point about publishing the photos( I would've blurred the faces) but their histrionics make them look crazy. Ophie's obvious attempt to derail using the "omelet and eggs" comment is reminiscent of Crommie's post about the term "Witch hunts".
Fun all astound.

katamari Damassi

katamari Damassi wrote:
windy wrote:

Thanks for the link. Wow! No one comes out if that looking good. Facebook was correct to remove the photo. When you establish an FB account you agree to their TOS. You don't get to dictate that. The A Plussers have a point about publishing the photos( I would've blurred the faces) but their histrionics make them look crazy. Ophie's obvious attempt to derail using the "omelet and eggs" comment is reminiscent of Crommie's post about the term "Witch hunts".
Fun all astound.
Fuck typing on my phone.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Well, there it is, that's all it takes. AtheismPlus is going from hero to zero because they've attacked an alpha FtBer.
Ophelia wrote:Jesus h fucking Christ. No wonder people hate Atheism plus if that’s a representative sample.
Of course they've been self-involved, slippery, foul tempered shits from the first day, but no-no-no, we don't like them because we want to grope women.

Pfft, this really isn't news to FtBers, the only surprise is that their mutant child would turn on one of them.

When tribalism veers off the road to equal justice, the solution is more tribes. Time for New Atheism Plus. Jen? Greta? The world needs you again.

German LurkBoatsman

windy wrote:Yep, the weird FTB layout with black borders is a mobile thingy:
Ah, thanks. Never got that before, nor since then.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

From a related story:
The county prosecutor, Keller Blackburn, said lab tests showed the woman had not taken any so-called “date rape” drugs, so the grand jury focused on whether the man knew the woman had no ability to consent.

“A reasonable person would think that she was not intoxicated beyond the ability to consent,” Blackburn told The (Athens) Post.
"A reasonable person"?

Something tells me he hasn't met the SJW mob.

German LurkBoatsman

Service Dog wrote:But the recipe for a walking blackout is to combine booze with uppers such as cocaine and caffeine.
Personally, mixing E with booze makes me as faceblind as a drunk clownsgirl in an elevator.

Consent still valid, though.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

How many drinks does one have to consume before they are unable to consent according SJWs?
Self appointed advocates of crystal clear consent never seem to want to answer that question. If you even ask this question you are probably a rapist.
SallyStrange

October 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm (UTC 0)

How many drinks before you are incapable of giving consent?

Why do you need to know? People who ask questions like this creep me out, for what should be obvious reasons.
How can you teach males not to rape if you refuse to define what rape is?

free thoughtpolice

More baboon wisdom, this time taken from the comments on Buttflies and Weasels:

The elevator biz, and more importantly its aftermath, demonstrates that Watson’s experience, and the status of women in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are on the SAME SCALE. The crazed stalker fury on the interwebs is not different in kind from the misogyinist fury of Tarhir Square gang-rapists.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

windy wrote:

Yeah god forbid she do anything like, well, acknowledge she erred or even apologize. She just took it down because she was sick of the shouting. Sure, Ophie, sure.

Sure sign of being an FtB baboon: being too prideful and cowardly to admit you fucked up even in the slightest.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

free thoughtpolice wrote:How many drinks does one have to consume before they are unable to consent according SJWs?
Self appointed advocates of crystal clear consent never seem to want to answer that question. If you even ask this question you are probably a rapist.
SallyStrange

October 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm (UTC 0)

How many drinks before you are incapable of giving consent?

Why do you need to know? People who ask questions like this creep me out, for what should be obvious reasons.
How can you teach males not to rape if you refuse to define what rape is?
If you were to ask Watson, the moment alcohol touches your lips is the moment you're incapable of giving consent. When you're visibly drunk, you *definitely* are incapable of giving consent and should this drunk person proposition another person for sex, the other person - regardless of their intoxication - is commiting rape.

Of course with that kind of logic, the responsibility of drunk drivers goes straight out the window. I suppose it's all relative in SJW-land.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

free thoughtpolice wrote:More baboon wisdom, this time taken from the comments on Buttflies and Weasels:

The elevator biz, and more importantly its aftermath, demonstrates that Watson’s experience, and the status of women in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are on the SAME SCALE. The crazed stalker fury on the interwebs is not different in kind from the misogyinist fury of Tarhir Square gang-rapists.
Yes. Being asked to join someone for coffee is exactly the same as the genital mutilation and other assorted brutalizing and oppression women in the muslim world face.

I guess if you're going to scoff at Dear Muslima, you may as well dive headfirst into that swimming pool of batshit crazy and go all out.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Gumby wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:More baboon wisdom, this time taken from the comments on Buttflies and Weasels:

Yes. Being asked to join someone for coffee is exactly the same as the genital mutilation and other assorted brutalizing and oppression women in the muslim world face.

I guess if you're going to scoff at Dear Muslima, you may as well dive headfirst into that swimming pool of batshit crazy and go all out.
Wow! Wow. Holy shit. Who wrote that comment? That's stupid even by their own standards. :hand:

Ho-hee. But nevermind that. Physiodouche has another blog post up and it refers to Obama as Bablack O'Blackma. No. I am not kidding.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Pitchguest wrote:
Gumby wrote:[quote="free thoughtpolice]More baboon wisdom, this time taken from the comments on Buttflies and Weasels:

Wow! Wow. Holy shit. Who wrote that comment? That's stupid even by their own standards. :hand:

Ho-hee. But nevermind that. Physiodouche has another blog post up and it refers to Obama as Bablack O'Blackma. No. I am not kidding.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

http://pl.memgenerator.pl/mem-image/ser ... l-ffffff-2

It's a very, very high bar but that may be the post that encompasses the widest array of bat-shit baboonery ever.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Pitchguest said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 01#p138801):
If you were to ask Watson, the moment alcohol touches your lips is the moment you're incapable of giving consent. When you're visibly drunk, you *definitely* are incapable of giving consent and should this drunk person proposition another person for sex, the other person - regardless of their intoxication - is commiting rape.
Well, actually, the problem with Watson's rhetoric on this is that, so far as I currently know, she adamantly refuses to define it at all or in anyway specify how drunk one must be, thereby leaving it open to any interpretation at all.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Pitchguest wrote: Ho-hee. But nevermind that. Physiodouche has another blog post up and it refers to Obama as Bablack O'Blackma. No. I am not kidding.
Hmmm. I think it was an attempt to parody the attitudes of the 'Republicanne Filthee', or something.

I'm sure it wasn't his intent to come across as a racist weirdo.

:lol:

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Tigzy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote: Ho-hee. But nevermind that. Physiodouche has another blog post up and it refers to Obama as Bablack O'Blackma. No. I am not kidding.
Hmmm. I think it was an attempt to parody the attitudes of the 'Republicanne Filthee', or something.

I'm sure it wasn't his intent to come across as a racist weirdo.

:lol:
Intent is not magic.

RebeccaBradley

Post by RebeccaBradley »

I'm reading Candida Moss's The Myth of Persecution: How Early Christians Invented a Story of Martyrdom, and was struck by this little passage from the intro:

"It is not only the suffering and oppressed who think of themselves as persecuted. Martyrdom is easily adapted by the powerful as a way of casting themselves as victims and justifying their polemical and vitriolic attacks on others. When disagreement is viewed as persecution, then these innocent sufferers must fight—rhetorically and literally—to defend themselves. In this polarized view of the world, disagreement and conflict—even entirely nonviolent conflict—is not just a difference of opinion; it is religious persecution. The source of the persecution is often explicitly labeled "evil," or cast as warfare."

Sounds oddly familiar, my fellow evil persecuters...

Southern

Post by Southern »

Pitchguest wrote: Wow! Wow. Holy shit. Who wrote that comment? That's stupid even by their own standards. :hand:

Ho-hee. But nevermind that. Physiodouche has another blog post up and it refers to Obama as Bablack O'Blackma. No. I am not kidding.
Comrade Physioproffe: the new racist on the block? Discuss.

Or better yet, let's discuss risotto recipes.

Southern

Post by Southern »

I saw the "aliens" image and suddenly I remembered: what about PZ's UFO-Con or something like that?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Southern wrote:
Pitchguest wrote: Wow! Wow. Holy shit. Who wrote that comment? That's stupid even by their own standards. :hand:

I have always found that if the onions are sweated in a light sherry it adds a flavour to any risotto.
Don't let them go all Blackety Black though. :rimshot:

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

It must be tough scheduling the 2nd FtBCon what with there only being 365 days in a year and needing speakers and attendees to be in reaching distance of...erm...an iPad.

Ah, fuck it, let's just schedule it at the same weekend as the CFI African Americans for Humanism DC 2014 Regional Conference:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/dc/even ... onference/

At least Svan's in a quandy:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... onference/

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

A Christian Science church in Dixon, IL as viewed by Google Earth:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1433567/thumb ... -570.jpg?6

Their slogan is: "Rising Up".

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Tigzy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Benson thinks there is a problem that can be summed up as:

"Saudi women are not allowed to drive, therefore people who blog about feminism should shut up"

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-752771

Talk about a dichotomy. I've commented the obvious:
By all means spend a lifetime rewriting conference codes, decrying sexist language or debating drunk sex. Just don’t expect anybody much to give a damn or take you as seriously as someone saving lives and risking all for a selfless cause.
What's the bet the response is "but where have we ever drawn such an equivalency?"
This is Ophie's response:
Wtf? What IS that? What is this ridiculous assumption that I do expect anybody much to give a damn or take me as seriously as someone saving lives and risking all for a selfless cause? When have I ever run around shouting that I expect everybody to give a damn and take me as seriously as, say, Leo Igwe? When? When have I? EVER?
Fucking loon. And still, the disdainful haughtiness comes through. When Ophie gets cross, I can't help but liken her to Lady Catherine from Pride & Prejudice:

http://youtu.be/mgFgxgpfre0?t=6m
Ha. My esp hat is working, fucking literalist. Naturally my point was all about her.

The point obviously was that its fine to have your hobby. But when you have the RWs grandstanding, and all the colour and movement of P/P debates, and you label yourself "feminist SJ activist" then you are begging for someone to point out the ludicrous juxtaposition of that circus to the real issues of the third world.

And when that happens retorting with "Saudi women are not allowed to drive, therefore people who blog about feminism should shut up" just doesn't cut the mustard. If you wear the uniform you have to walk the walk.

I'd respond with all this but then I'd just get banned. It's better to keep your options open for the occasional 'drive by comment'.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

jimthepleb wrote:
Southern wrote:

I have always found that if the onions are sweated in a light sherry it adds a flavour to any risotto.
I use butter to saute my shallots or onions. I really prefer animal fats to vegetable fats for bringing richness to a dish.

But I do use wine. If it's a chicken-stock risotto, I like to use a relatively sweet, low-acid wine, like a 'white' Zinfandel in the early stages. I really like Beringer's White Zinfandel. It's very consistent year-after-year and makes a good cooking wine.

If it's a beef-stock risotto, I like to use a Chardonnay. I know it's a white wine, blah, blah, blah, red-wine is for beef, but I think it supports well without overwhelming the dish and, therefore, out-performs most red wines for risotto.

welch

Post by welch »

John Greg wrote:Pitchguest said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 01#p138801):
Well, actually, the problem with Watson's rhetoric on this is that, so far as I currently know, she adamantly refuses to define it at all or in anyway specify how drunk one must be, thereby leaving it open to any interpretation at all.
Yep. She uses it to sucker people. Her initial thing was "drunk" then she smoothly pivoted to "blotto" then back as needed, leaving rather a lot of people floundering and looking like idiots because they failed to try to force her into an actual concrete definition first.

free thoughtpolice

Taslima is pissed about ads trying to sell vagina tightening gel:

Oct 30 2013
Racist misogynist pathetic pedophiliac society loves to fuck white virgins.
Womyn do not need tighter vaginas!! Men need bigger penises!! :twisted:

welch

Post by welch »

Tribble wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
Southern wrote:

I use butter to saute my shallots or onions. I really prefer animal fats to vegetable fats for bringing richness to a dish.

But I do use wine. If it's a chicken-stock risotto, I like to use a relatively sweet, low-acid wine, like a 'white' Zinfandel in the early stages. I really like Beringer's White Zinfandel. It's very consistent year-after-year and makes a good cooking wine.

If it's a beef-stock risotto, I like to use a Chardonnay. I know it's a white wine, blah, blah, blah, red-wine is for beef, but I think it supports well without overwhelming the dish and, therefore, out-performs most red wines for risotto.

It's not a risotto recipe, but here, my recipe for punkin' pies: http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2005/11/ ... _late.html

Yes, slaughtering pumpkins is somewhat tedious, but there is a huge difference in taste. Be warned that a largish pumpkin can net you around 10-15 pies.

I do this once a year, crank out 20 or so pies, then swear never to do it again, until the next year when I've forgotten about the work and all i can think about is PIIIIIIIIE!!!!!

If you are on any form of diet, or diabetic, probably not the recipe you want.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Oct 30 2013

Few things there taslima m'darlin'...

This cream only works on whites?
Women get no pleasure from a 'tighter' fit?
Desiring more sensation from sex is 'pathetic'?
Pedophiliac (not a word) and tight are not synonymous.
White. I refer you to my first question.
Tightness is not the preserve of virgins....

Which leaves us with... 'society loves to fuck.' On which point I would like to concur and state that the evidence for that surrounds us.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

jjbinx007 wrote:Here's a blast from the past:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 ... underf00t/

Some of the comments are quite amusing, given hindsight.

Don't need to go past the OP:

PZ -

"I doubt that he has really learned anything from the episode, other than to be more careful about making actionable statements."

"Thunderf00t is a calm rationalist and defender of science and evolution on Youtube"

dogen

Post by dogen »

John Greg wrote:Pitchguest said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 01#p138801):

Clearly, the rapey-ness of the incident can only be judged post-facto, in the morning, as the hangover waltzes with the regrets.

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

Well if you were to go by the extreme definition she implies, that a molecule of ethanol makes an individual unable to consent, then almost anyone who drinks is both rapist and rapee - including Becky Watson. That's why she will never clarify her statement.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

jimthepleb wrote: Pedophiliac (not a word) and tight are not synonymous.
On closer examination it appears pedophiliac is an acceptable Septic rendering of the 'real' word paedophilic. Neither of which is accepted by the fascist tit of a dictionary on here.

windy

Post by windy »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Taslima is pissed about ads trying to sell vagina tightening gel:

Oct 30 2013
Why not both?

http://2summers.files.wordpress.com/201 ... gement.jpg

dogen

Post by dogen »

KarlVonMox wrote:
Well if you were to go by the extreme definition she implies, that a molecule of ethanol makes an individual unable to consent, then almost anyone who drinks is both rapist and rapee - including Becky Watson. That's why she will never clarify her statement.
More specifically, ability to consent is something which can be decided after the event, even if consent was enthusiastically given during the event. So, with any degree of alcohol in their bloodstream during the event, a person effectively has cart blanche to revoke consent at any point down the road. It's like a bulletproof takesies-backsies.

dogen

Post by dogen »

windy wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Taslima is pissed about ads trying to sell vagina tightening gel:

Oct 30 2013
Why not both?

http://2summers.files.wordpress.com/201 ... gement.jpg
What happens if the cream isn't fully absorbed when one has sex? One's partner will be cursed with a saggy vag (if the penis cream was used) or a shrunken knob (if the vag cream was used).

This is a perfect opportunity to share a fave from Roger's Profanisaurus:
Profanisaurus wrote: Throwing a Woodbine down Northumberland Street euph. Newcastle Unsatisfying sex with a bucket fannied (qv) individual. As in: 'Why man, it was like throwin' a fuckin' Woodbine doon Northumberland Street'. Also Leeds throwing a sausage up Briggate.
:D

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Oct 30 2013
I'm sure she hasn't noticed the thousands of examples of women online talking about how men need bigger dicks, or of women saying that a man needs X inches of dickflesh and Y amounts of money before she'll date that man, oh and how she only dates Z races of men, because she finds the others ugly or smelly or gross.

These things are all totes okay in the minds of the SJWs. :lol:

"Don't tell me to tighten my vagina, tell the men around me to enlarge their penises!"

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Myers inadvertently reveals something:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... sm-school/
Pizzy Myers wrote:I don’t know about you, but it seems all of the news sites I read have adopted this as a model.
I wouldn't be so quick to brag that I get all my news from Cracked and Reddit.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

jimthepleb wrote:Oct 30 2013

Few things there taslima m'darlin'...

This cream only works on whites?
Women get no pleasure from a 'tighter' fit?
Desiring more sensation from sex is 'pathetic'?
Pedophiliac (not a word) and tight are not synonymous.
White. I refer you to my first question.
Tightness is not the preserve of virgins....

Which leaves us with... 'society loves to fuck.' On which point I would like to concur and state that the evidence for that surrounds us.
Society is not allowed to love fucking. Most fucking is heterosexual. All heterosexual sex is patriarchal and rapey. Therefore, logically we conclude all of society is patriarchal and rapey.

How dare you suggest that women should rub this rape cream on themselves! Don't you listen to Andrea Dworkin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Dworkin
After her death, the conservative[105] gay writer Andrew Sullivan claimed that "Many on the social right liked Andrea Dworkin. Like Dworkin, their essential impulse when they see human beings living freely is to try and control or stop them – for their own good. Like Dworkin, they are horrified by male sexuality, and see men as such as a problem to be tamed. Like Dworkin, they believe in the power of the state to censor and coerce sexual freedoms. Like Dworkin, they view the enormous new freedom that women and gay people have acquired since the 1960s as a terrible development for human culture."
Ohohohohoho, this sounds just a tiny bit like FTB and Skepchick. The fatass torch has been passed. I wonder, did RW hear the voice of Dworkin calling to her from above on that night in the elevator?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Oct 30 2013
I guess she wants them to be Extenz ads?

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Interestingly enough, the top results on google come from non-feminist sites. Normally, feminists equate lack of prosecution in rape cases with a rapist going free. With this case, probably because of the video, the news outlets are using "alleged" in the title or even calling it a sex act. I think this is a case some people want everyone to forget because it points out a huge flaw in their ideology.

But I did find this article with a very interesting title. Even here, there's none of the "rapist got away with it" talk we usually hear:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/7816-sex ... rges-filed

katamari Damassi

Kareem wrote:
Interestingly enough, the top results on google come from non-feminist sites. Normally, feminists equate lack of prosecution in rape cases with a rapist going free. With this case, probably because of the video, the news outlets are using "alleged" in the title or even calling it a sex act. I think this is a case some people want everyone to forget because it points out a huge flaw in their ideology.

But I did find this article with a very interesting title. Even here, there's none of the "rapist got away with it" talk we usually hear:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/7816-sex ... rges-filed
I remember in the Rutgers case when a video of the "victim" apparently enjoying herself during the alleged gang rape appeared, the SJW's wanted the men prosecuted for taping her without her knowledge. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally, I don't understand how any straight guy can have sex without taping it; just for insurance purposes.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I've just had a fit of the lulz over Fartin Wagner's latest contribution to freethought:
The very instant you use the word “mangina” in any context other than to mock the utter risible stupidity of it, you lose the right to have anything you say on any subject taken seriously ever again, for the rest of your natural life.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-712007

'So Dr Hawking - I find your theories on Big Bang singularities intriguing. But I must ask you - have you ever used the word 'mangina' seriously? Because if you have...'