Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
welch wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Just for the record, Napoleon Dynamite is one of the funniest films ever made but only after watching it at least twice.
I walked out of it in the theater, but loved it as a DVD. No idea why that difference was so important.
So you too thought it was a bit crap the first time round?
What the fuck was up with watching it a second time? Why were we compelled to give it another go?

I was at someone's house and they put it on. I think being able to make smartassed comments freely was a big help. It's really more of a "Rocky Horror Picture Show" kind of movie where half the fun is the audience.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Sigh. PTSD from the Internet. Probably the most pathetic thing I've heard people self-diagnose themselves with in a very, very long time. Pssst.
You need to read more Caine:

http://i.imgur.com/f0Fwbjc.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-713446

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Pamela Gay is a scientist, yet her description of an event is a muddled, confusing hash of innuendo and feelings, padded with reenactments of scenes from BEACHES. Not until the 6th paragraph does she finally -- though fleetingly -- reveal the source of her angst: an attempted boob-grab at a party full of drunks. Until then, all we get is turgid bathos about unspecified bumps with the glass ceiling over her career.

It has already garnered the inevitable 'we empathize with your lived experience, sister' responses. But to persuade this skeptic as to the veracity of her story, Gay will have to do a better job telling it. So long as she uses the narrative style associated with claims of woo, I will lend it as much credence as claims of woo.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Sigh. PTSD from the Internet. Probably the most pathetic thing I've heard people self-diagnose themselves with in a very, very long time. Pssst.

All I can think is WTF? My brain actually cramped reading that.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Pamela Gay is a scientist, yet her description of an event is a muddled, confusing hash of innuendo and feelings, padded with reenactments of scenes from BEACHES. Not until the 6th paragraph does she finally -- though fleetingly -- reveal the source of her angst: an attempted boob-grab at a party full of drunks. Until then, all we get is turgid bathos about unspecified bumps with the glass ceiling over her career.

It has already garnered the inevitable 'we empathize with your lived experience, sister' responses. But to persuade this skeptic as to the veracity of her story, Gay will have to do a better job telling it. So long as she uses the narrative style associated with claims of woo, I will lend it as much credence as claims of woo.
I can almost guarantee her this post will haunt her career (rightly or wrongly) far longer than the original incidents - regardless of how smashed and broken she may currently feel (post ripple and cards).

The Internet is simply not the place to have a mini breakdown that involves your professional peers.

I suspect she is about to encounter major blogger's remorse.

FFS.

Huehuehue

Post by Huehuehue »

Ah, she's actually Harry Dresden, got it.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Indeed. That was my first thought; if I were recruiting I would not touch any of these people with a bargepole. Nothing turns an employer off like drama.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
windy wrote:
Service Dog wrote: On Oct 6 2012, after recovering his memory of having been raped, Ogvorbis also recovered his memory of his rapist being devoutly religious
It was earlier than that. This is from July 2012:
A year or two ago, I remembered being a Cub Scout and I vaguely remembered something bad happening. Wasn’t sure what it was, but I always felt ill at ease. The key log was still in place.

Then, while participating in one of the MRA threads (it may have been the 3d5k mega thread), I remembered what the hell it was that was so bad about scouts. Specifically, anal and oral rape of me, and other scouts, by the upstanding member of the community who was in charge (and his wife made things easier for him by leading the scouts on hikes while leaving one behind with the predator). The first key log was out.

Details dribbled out over the past year and, with every detail (places, people, things) I figured that the worst was over. While I told myself this, though, I was aware of significant blanks in what I remembered happening and, with a shitload of stress, strife, and dumping (sorry, all), the events kept coming out.

I remember a family of hikers walking into the camp where I was being raped. The apologized, laughed, and went on their way. I remember knowing that I could never, ever, tell anyone — the man was a Mormon stakeholder, a father of three (four?), a good family man, a pillar of the community. I knew I could never tell anyone because I knew that this (rape) only happened to girls and if I told anyone my secret would be out. And I knew that I could never tell anyone because I would never be believed.

Which is almost a textbook case of Recovered (or False) Memory Syndrome ...
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/loo ... y-syndrome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory_syndrome
You beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing. There is no way to know if his memory is accurate or if it is a false memory that has resulted from years of wanting to have such a memory or otherwise thinking he would be a better SJW if he had such a memory. At any rate, without independent corroboration, there is no way to know if this memory is accurate or not. Now, I know we should "just believe the victim," but my skepticism and dedication to the truth prevents me from doing so. As Dawkins says, "I care passionately about what is true."

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Pogsurf wrote:Interesting fact:
oolon
November 4, 2013 at 3:54 am (UTC -8) Link to this comment
@Matt Cavanaugh, utter tripe, hilarious as well.

the majority of content at the ‘Pit has little or nothing to do with A-plussers

Of course not dear…
“site:slymepit[dot]com atheismplus” … 184,000 results
“site:atheismplus[dot]com slymepit” …. 223 results

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-784764

Another interesting fact:

At the time of writing there have been 140,428 posts on the Slymepit.

Therefore "atheismplus" is being mentioned an average of 1.31 times in every Slymepit post.

Oolon has proved that the Slymepit is harassing A+ QED.

He he. You could try to point that out at Buttfucks and Weasels, but I doubt it'd get through mod. N.B. that while droolon can go "@Matt Cavanaugh", I am not permitted to "@droolon".

Not that I really have much to say to droolon, who is one of the most obnoxious, mentally-challenged miscreants I've ever encountered.

Oh, before I forget: atheismplus. ath

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:http://i.imgur.com/yoch1dY.png

Seriously? What about actually backing away and not posting at all? How melodramatic can you get? Is this a candlejack parody or someth

Sorry, back, after barely surviving that ordeal. Regardless of whether he's lying, he needs to get help and preferably isolate himself from the rest of the population.
That is some high-class trolling from Oggie there. Think oolio's given him lessons?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/1071 ... af7c_b.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Oh, and another thing: Cards Against Humanity is unrivaled in its combination of stupidity and pretension. It's only funny if you're stoned, but everything is funny if you're stoned. It's only played by pretentious hipster/intelligentsia, and pretentious hipster/intelligentsia have no real sense of humor in the first place.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Oh, hey, since the skeptical community is once again talking about how sexism 'is part of what it means to be a woman in science'-- I realized that I forgot to mention that the Godfather of Retrovirology I accused of 'artistically arranging data' during the XMRV fiasco 'retired' last month.

TYPICAL OLD-BOYS CLUB! DAMN YOU PATRIARCHY!!!!!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:It's only funny if you're stoned, but everything is funny if you're stoned.
That's so true. I remember watching Ethel dying of Alzheimers in Eastenders and being eventually euthanised by her lifelong friend, Dot Cotton, and I was laughing like a cunt all the way through.
Not because the subject matter was funny but because it was so poorly done. Being stoned just made me see it for what it was.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:
It's a two-step with filters. First pass is something called anisotropic smoothing. It smoothes images without losing much detail, a pretty neat trick. If you want to knock 15 years off Ophelia without her looking like Bruce Jenner, this'll do it.

Then the Relief Light filter, which puts the glossy highlights on. It's fussy, with a lot of controls, sometimes works great, sometimes not so well. I had no trouble with PZ and Zvan, but it hated Vacula. I had to repair him by hand.

In GIMP they're part of a collection of filters called G'MIC (which continues the proud open source tradition of giving everything stupidly inscrutable names).
Psssh. Fuck all that.

I found a freeware package that can not only make Ophelia look 15 years younger, but can also make her look much happier.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... ffae61.jpg

It's called "Paint.NET".

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Not taking sides with the Harris' profiling issue, but to my mind the only reasonable way to deal with that matter is from a systemic perspective, which came through partially in some arguments. There is a system designed to spot some people and it might apply some sort of heuristic. However the very moment it does, the suspects will dynamically react to the heuristic and evade it. It is almost like an evolutionary pressure. Therefore, any static approach won't work at all, as long as the suspects have means to adapt.

It must be viewed as an arms race and the interesting questions lie, in my opinion, somewhere in that area. There are costs for the search/profiling to adapt, and there are costs for the would-be-terrorists to adapt to whatever method is used at the moment.

Suppose (fictional example) terrorists are million times to one more likely middle aged men with arabian complexion, then it could be argued that a system that works with such a profile is good enough to prevent nearly all cases and indeed a waste of time to look for other people. However, real terrorism seems to fall into “black swan” events. It seems not the case that hundreds of terrorists run against the system, but very few, very planned attempts are made. The likelihoods above aren't very useful as the terrorist just can spent time looking for the right person that would most likely get through.

Therefore a totally random heuristic (or controlling everyone) seems to be the best strategy. But that crashes the moment terrorist start brute force (i.e. hundreds try to get through). Therefore, the best approach would be two layered and dynamic. Profilling to whatever is likely + total random control. The weight (which gets more resources) I would call impossible to determine from an arm-chair postion, but tells me enough for the discussion that This-Or-That and static approaches won't succeed.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I find fault with Pamela Gay telling her story as if she's on Donahue in 1983.
Is she Tootsie? Is this 9 to 5?

Either it's late-2013, and 'powerful' luminaries can be women who make sexually demeaning comments to lower status humans of all varieties, and bosses can be gays who harass straight dudes, etc., etc.

Or it's 1981, and a harasser can only be Benny Hill chasing his secretary around a desk.

http://i.imgur.com/i1G7vGF.jpg

I'm a hard critic of victim testimonials-- but even =I= think there's a compelling story lost within the folds of Gay's post.

Feminists-- (and members of all designated identity-victimhood classes)-- please let one unsympathetic bastard examine your words, before you go public: A lawyer. An old-guard newspaper editor. Someone who smokes cigarettes and follows sports...

I'm trying to imagine women taking a man seriously, if he included in his grievance, "...and she ruined Halloween! And that's my favorite holiday! Luckily, no one was around to see me start to cry!"

Yeesh.
"I was Almost Raped by the Great Pumpkin. He had a glory hole carved in one side! Now I have PTSD whenever I hear a doorbell at dusk."

The only Special kind of harassment reserved for First World Professional Straight White Cis Women-- is the kind where there's a Special advantage to being appreciated as sexy... which sporadically then backfires, when the woman is rudely-awakened by the realization that she has just been treated-- as harshly as everyone else. Move it, on or off the pedestal, make up yer mind!

http://img.scoop.it/aPf-7ECnOqs-yyW-Lrk ... tABnaLJIm9

Harumph!

windy

Post by windy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Oh, and another thing: Cards Against Humanity is unrivaled in its combination of stupidity and pretension. It's only funny if you're stoned, but everything is funny if you're stoned. It's only played by pretentious hipster/intelligentsia, and pretentious hipster/intelligentsia have no real sense of humor in the first place.
Matt Buzzkill strikes again! I played CAH for the first time this weekend and thought it was pretty funny. (It wasn't at Pam Gay's party- no one broke down with PTSD.)

Besides, hipsters can't play it anymore: people have heard about it. :snooty:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

LeftSidePositive makes sure Chris Rodda's recent Helen Keller joke is properly shamed at the A+forum:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 085#p97085

LSP, of course, is the shitstain fembot wingnut who let Paul Loebe drive her to shrieking distraction in fine style.

Rodda, IMO, made a mistake not sticking to principle by erasing the post. The SJW terrorists won that round. I imagine the backchannel must have been quite lively. Lively as in PZ holding a spork to Rodda's throat and threatening disenvowelment.

On the A+ thread, Kassianne does make a salient point:

"Welp there's like not a single redeeming value left at FTB is there?"

No, Kassianne, not really.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Aneris wrote:Not taking sides with the Harris' profiling issue, but to my mind the only reasonable way to deal with that matter is from a systemic perspective, which came through partially in some arguments. There is a system designed to spot some people and it might apply some sort of heuristic. However the very moment it does, the suspects will dynamically react to the heuristic and evade it. It is almost like an evolutionary pressure. Therefore, any static approach won't work at all, as long as the suspects have means to adapt.

It must be viewed as an arms race and the interesting questions lie, in my opinion, somewhere in that area. There are costs for the search/profiling to adapt, and there are costs for the would-be-terrorists to adapt to whatever method is used at the moment.

Suppose (fictional example) terrorists are million times to one more likely middle aged men with arabian complexion, then it could be argued that a system that works with such a profile is good enough to prevent nearly all cases and indeed a waste of time to look for other people. However, real terrorism seems to fall into “black swan” events. It seems not the case that hundreds of terrorists run against the system, but very few, very planned attempts are made. The likelihoods above aren't very useful as the terrorist just can spent time looking for the right person that would most likely get through.

Therefore a totally random heuristic (or controlling everyone) seems to be the best strategy. But that crashes the moment terrorist start brute force (i.e. hundreds try to get through). Therefore, the best approach would be two layered and dynamic. Profilling to whatever is likely + total random control. The weight (which gets more resources) I would call impossible to determine from an arm-chair postion, but tells me enough for the discussion that This-Or-That and static approaches won't succeed.
If its a practical outcome we want then we are screwed. They will just *do something else* - bridges, buildings, power plants, cement trucks etc. who saw 911 coming?

Airport security is really there for three reasons - discourage the impulsive amateur and secondly reassure the public/cover-asses. Getting lucky and taking down a well planned effort is a distant, almost invisible third objective.

Both initial major imperatives are covered by targeting the most recent suspects. Given you can't ESP the future it also has the benefit of being the most rational approach given available evidence.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Apropos the discussion about security theatre and the TSA, 'Please Remove Your Shoes' is a good documentary.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Benson's "Cut open with a rusty blade" OP is 942 words long. Of this 816 are copy pasta from the source.

Thanks Benson for a 1:6 or something ratio of informed review vs lifted copy. And lets just extract and review the professional 'freelance' input:

Pamela Gay published a wrenching, heartbreaking, infuriating post early today about her struggles as a woman in science and skepticism.

Well we know from bitter experience that we can’t expect to be believed, whether we report the believable or the unbelievable, at least not by a very large and entrenched segment of the relevant population. But more and more of us are reporting it now, and the ground seems to be shifting.

I was horrified when I read that this morning. I’m not the only one. My friend (and Pamela’s friend) Brian Engler is another. So is Leonard Tramiel, whom I met and liked enormously at the CFI Summit. The news is getting around.

There’s more. As I said, it’s heartbreaking.

It’s a long, long road.

And her commentariate go to her blog to be informed? No wonder she has 3 comments to date (including Stacy who is odds on to be a puppet).

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Gumby wrote:LeftSidePositive makes sure Chris Rodda's recent Helen Keller joke is properly shamed at the A+forum:

LSP, of course, is the shitstain fembot wingnut who let Paul Loebe drive her to shrieking distraction in fine style.

Rodda, IMO, made a mistake not sticking to principle by erasing the post. The SJW terrorists won that round. I imagine the backchannel must have been quite lively. Lively as in PZ holding a spork to Rodda's throat and threatening disenvowelment.

I thought that the joke was quite funny. Would a blind person find that joke offensive?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Michael J wrote:
Gumby wrote:LeftSidePositive makes sure Chris Rodda's recent Helen Keller joke is properly shamed at the A+forum:

I thought that the joke was quite funny. Would a blind person find that joke offensive?
Only if they see it... oh.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I was given A's in science and math classes by my high school teachers to make sure I could get into a good university, get a job in a STEM field, and be RAEPED and GROPED and HARASSED.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

bhoytony wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/20vC9Cs.jpg
Whoa, I wouldn't be groping her, she's got arms like Schwarzenegger. She could rag doll you all over the room.
:lol: :lol:

Is Shermer really short, or is it just the camera angles or that he has T. rex arms?

<---- Has height privilege.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:...If you want to knock 15 years off Ophelia without her looking like Bruce Jenner, this'll do it.
Psssh. Fuck all that.

I found a freeware package that can not only make Ophelia look 15 years younger, but can also make her look much happier.

It's called "Paint.NET".
What is this black art? Who is this spry lass? :lol: :lol: :lol:

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

A day in the trenchs for a SJ Warrior though I'm a little sympathetic
Dalillama, Schmott Guy

6 November 2013 at 3:59 pm (UTC -6)

Fucking Hell!!!! Something’s gong wrong with my unemploymeny benefits, and I haven’t gotten them this week, and after waitng 3 fucking hours to talk to someone, they transferred me to a voicemail queue.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-715484

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Ape+lust wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:...If you want to knock 15 years off Ophelia without her looking like Bruce Jenner, this'll do it.
Psssh. Fuck all that.

It's called "Paint.NET".
What is this black art? Who is this spry lass? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now my wife is asking me why I'm crying with laughter...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

BarnOwl wrote:
I was given A's in science and math classes by my high school teachers to make sure I could get into a good university, get a job in a STEM field, and be RAEPED and GROPED and HARASSED.
It's a MEAT FACTORY and you walked right into it! I'm gut-punched, shaking so hard I can barely type. Sending virtual hugs and herbal tea. You're so awesome for sharing this. Like a true SURVIVOR!

John D

Post by John D »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:Pamela Gay's 2012 TAM talk she writes about is here:

[youtube]8WSNGCD3PJE[/youtube]
Oh My. I guess Gay didn't see what her speech would do. She specifically claimed, in public, that she was being sexually harassed at work. She claimed that this harassment was affecting her career. She left her bosses very little wiggle room.

I have managed people in a professional environment for more than 12 years. As a manager there are certain requirements I must adhere to. If I hear anyone in the organization claim they were harassed I must report it to Human Resources and my management. I am obliged to do this or I will risk my job and my career. This is very typical of employment in a professional setting.

So, Gay outs here fellow employees in public. Her management and the Human Resources department MUST take action. She has forced this. Apparently, she had very few witnesses who supported her claim. I am not saying her claim is not true, but I am saying she had her opportunity to be heard. Her management either had to take action against those harassing her, or they had to cast doubt on her story. They needed a resolution. She took the fall in this case. Very ugly all around.

The right approach is to bring any issues with harassment up to your HR department at the first sign of trouble. Usually, HR can put the harassers on notice and everyone will fix their behavior. I have seen this work many times. Many organizations have been sued and have lost millions over harassment. There are process safeguards in place to prevent this sort of problem from getting out of hand.

Ms. Gay - you really did a disservice to others. You need to help reinforce the right kind of behavior in the work environment. Take action to stop harassment immediately. Don't go public and cry about your problems to the world without first trying to fix it on a local level. Document any problems in writing. Take your complaint to management. Accept the apology of others and move on.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

That PeeZus cherub nearly made me crap puffy white clouds laughing. :lol:

Speaking of which, now he's in on the Pamela Gay woecake:

http://www.freezepage.com/1383798735YOZZPIFUXQ

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1153383680/hED9A312E/

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

You know, if we could all collectively migrate away from Google, that'd be great.

The new youtube update is here. This one forces you to be signed in to google+ in order to comment, seems to remove the thumbs up/thumbs down comment features (sometimes, it may also be a bug), and forces you to manually select the option if you want comments to be sorted with the newest appearing first.

Youtube can kiss my ass. They're becoming more and more like a standard cable company, or maybe more like Xbox Live. Ads out the ass, no features or customization options and obnoxious updates that you must accept, or you cannot use your youtube account anymore.

[youtube]VVDAk0eK2Wo[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

BarnOwl wrote:That PeeZus cherub nearly made me crap puffy white clouds laughing. :lol:

Speaking of which, now he's in on the Pamela Gay woecake:

http://www.freezepage.com/1383798735YOZZPIFUXQ

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1153383680/hED9A312E/g]
Oh, he's good is Myers:

http://i.imgur.com/4wNdocY.png

http://i.imgur.com/Cn9zMwE.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Who saw 9/11 coming? Condi Rice did, in the FBI report warning that al qaeda planned on using passenger a/c as weapons. She lied about the PDB. The neocons had long craved a "Pearl Harbor Moment" to justify their agenda of wars in the Middle East.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Who saw 9/11 coming? Condi Rice did, in the FBI report warning that al qaeda planned on using passenger a/c as weapons. She lied about the PDB. The neocons had long craved a "Pearl Harbor Moment" to justify their agenda of wars in the Middle East.
Not,this PBS? http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NS ... 6-2001.pdf

Which is the one warning about planes? And did others cover other options as well? Or just planes?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

John D wrote:

The raves for that speech were pretty much unanimous in Baboonland, it was the must-see moment of TAM 2012. So, now I've seen it.

It's a sermon. A freaking sermon, even excluding the harassment drama. You, her, and everyone she knows is incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing. You can do incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing stuff, so don't let anyone tell you you're not incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing. She turned nearly 40 minutes of a skeptics conference into a boring Amway rally and they loved it.

I swear, I could tapdance and fart for 30 minutes, and as long as I gave them their empowerment strokes they'd think I was brilliant.

Whiskey Tango

Post by Whiskey Tango »

Lsuoma wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: What exactly is going on with the guy below?

http://i.imgur.com/1TAcYtm.jpg
It all makes sense when you think of men as toilets.
Ok I don't attend these things or know any of these people, I just enjoy taking the piss out of Rebecca Watson.

But Jesus Christ, you thirsty motherfuckers. These pictures tell the whole story. These women show up to these things, suddenly find themselves the center of attention for the first time in their lives, and revel in it during the drunken after parties. Then, in pangs of regret over sucking off Richard Dawkins or whoever after 15 gin and to tonics in the hotel bar, they write blog posts about how they had to deal with unwanted sexual advances, revising the shit in their minds until it fits the narrative.

This is what happens when socially maladjusted adults get together in situations involving alcohol, when dudes are all backed up from doing nothing but jacking to Suicide Girls for 10 years. Thirsty, thirsty fucks. This could all be alleviated if people got laid once in a while via healthy relationships, not sloppy drunken hook-ups like college freshmen working the fake IDs for the first time. And worse, because there's this pretense of inclusion and everyone thinks they're more inclusive and more intelligent than the average person (ahaha), everyone gives these people the time of day, listening to their stories and doing lots of hand-wringing over convention policies, semantics and perceived power dynamics, when this shit can be completely avoided by having nothing to do with the after party crowd.

Adults, yeah? But you wouldn't know it by the way the community behaves. And if you just want to fuck, go to Comic Con, find a girl cosplaying anime or dressed as Miranda from Mass Effect, and have sex with her in your hotel room with the comfort of knowing she's not going to write a fucking blog post about it the next day.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I've now read PG's account a couple of times. I still don't really understand.

What does the below actually mean? I assume she was involved in a uni discrimination process that was meant to be confidential (?) but then wasn't. That she made her accusations without any established supporters and she only had 300 days to .. umm, what, prove something? To establish that (presumably) ongoing discrimination occurred? It seems the "boob" exercise is totally different to the 'legal' case.

She may well be living the nightmare - but she has gone public with a barely coherent story. She really needs to present an actual narrative. But this? This is what your partner does over the kitchen table with a bottle of wine. And all the while you are listening and mentally trying to put it together without letting on she is babbling.
I was asked to justify my speech and name names in confidential written documents. For one nearly fatal moment, I believed that if the people in authority knew the truth, perhaps people in power would undertake meaningful actions to make my profession better for women. And I did name names and I did use specifics … and my words were distributed widely enough that word of what was happening got back to me nearly a dozen timezones away. When I learned what was happening, I spontaneously (and thankfully silently) burst into tears

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And this is the Carrie Poppy thing isn't it? And Carrie presumably had permission to start blatting away, and TAM only cam into it because DJ and Phil were at the Party? And is Phil now a Groethe like enemy? Or just DJ? and ...... Jesus.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Is Alex Gabriel so right-on that he's adopting the insults of islamic fundamentalists to use against Dawkins?
What next? Declare a twatwa?
Pffffffwhahaha!
Twatwa!

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Who saw 9/11 coming? Condi Rice did, in the FBI report warning that al qaeda planned on using passenger a/c as weapons. She lied about the PDB. The neocons had long craved a "Pearl Harbor Moment" to justify their agenda of wars in the Middle East.
And Chris Carter. Don't forget him.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/doug_911_lgp.htm

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

https://twitter.com/BjarteSF

Bjarte Flooshaug's twitter is full of delightful humor today, unlike his comic.
Bjarte Foshaug ‏@BjarteSF 2h

@borngeek @aratina If people aren't forced to pay attention to bullies it means Bin Laden has won! #IBlameTheBB #BlameOolon #BraveHero
Bjarte Foshaug ‏@BjarteSF 3h

@ImprobableJoe @szvan They're not assholes, they just "disagree" with basic human decency. Surely that's a legitimate difference of opinion?
You know, they call us obsessive for talking about them on the pitt, but they endlessly talk about pitters on twatter and in the FTB comments.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tkaGPDGPIVs/U ... Satire.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LDPs0H5lrRs/U ... heist6.jpg
I think we've all had too much of a break from the comedic vacuum that is a Bjarte Flapjack cartoon. I figured I'd link a few of them so we can appreciate Parsehole's humor that much more.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUlamNgCQAAFcRS.jpg:large

I apologize if you are now going through humor withdrawal.

[youtube]s8u5L0lDehI[/youtube]
[youtube]psECBa4MhrQ[/youtube]
This should fix y'all right up.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Since I am sure I am already many times damned, I think I have nothing to lose by distracting from the super-serious business of SJW trauma and PTSD to bring up this little triviality:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24823846

In short, Wahabis with the bomb.

This actually wasn't news to me but the fact it is now reached the point where it's getting public play is not a good sign.

Anyway, back to our regularly-scheduled victim-fetish expo.

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

Brive1987 wrote:And this is the Carrie Poppy thing isn't it? And Carrie presumably had permission to start blatting away, and TAM only cam into it because DJ and Phil were at the Party? And is Phil now a Groethe like enemy? Or just DJ? and ...... Jesus.
In the 2012 talk Gay actually holds Grothe's behaviour up as an example for stepping in. At least that's how I read it. Around 32:45:
"In my own life I actually had two guys, one of whom is here at this meeting, who've intervened with me when they've seen some other guy being a dick and and going to do something inappropriate. And you can be this person who physically intervenes."

So, give me a gig at your conference, you're my hero - don't invite me, breakdown is mine?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Isn't the manipulation of memory and perception one of the hallmarks of a cult? You go through their seminar, and all of a sudden you see the evil around you, or the things you've done, or the way aliens forced you into having rape-sex with bigfoot, while a satanist illuminati records the whole thing (I think this is Oggie's next recovered memory). What is it with the drama crowd - do they have to top each other constantly? I guess Pam felt she had to speak up after Poppy-head decided to use her as a weapon against her enemies. The whole narrative reads like some bizarre fairy tale, or someone speaking out after a session in a re-education camp. The continual misuse of PTSD by these idiots is also disgusting. Yeah, having some drunk go after you, possibly, is the same as being sent to retrieve a bradley that got hit by an IED and finding out that they never removed the bodies of your friends before you were sent out (not me, but a close friend). That's just one thing, I've heard more stories from more people.

All I can think about is the Family Guy episode where Peter gets his prostate checked and takes the doctor to court for rape.

And as usual, PZ has to chime in, and also as usual makes it about himself as well. Can any of them not do that?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

A happy confluence of links explains Ophelia's appreciation of Bjartetoons.

http://i.imgur.com/oe0t0tq.png

German LurkBoatsman

Service Dog wrote:I'm trying to imagine women taking a man seriously, if he included in his grievance, "...and she ruined Halloween! And that's my favorite holiday! Luckily, no one was around to see me start to cry!"
Thanks, I was going to point out the same thing. She's maybe going to blow up her own career and maybe those of some other people with hers but she can't even focus enough to pretend this is about serious adult life stuff and not about her feeling special and happy and how the Sherm stole Halloween. Her favourite holiday not just of the month, not of the season but of the whole year!!

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The emergence of the soul, it was all part of the plan

[youtube]R3cJ6xVkLuk[/youtube]

There's a reason why it's called soul

[youtube]gDhDUSmHvHQ[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Bjarte Foshaug is practising some obscure form of "alternative comedy" where the lack of humour is (supposed to be) humorous.

There's literally nothing in the random sentences plastered over the same shitty stick-man image over and over again that could be described as even a vague nod to comedy. Even the Wingdings and emoticons seem strategically placed to make the text cluttered and confusing.
Bjarte Foshaug cartoons are anti-humour. The polar opposite of funny.
If Foshaug's "comedy" could be conceptualised in a single image (other than a stick-man at a computer) it would be an exploded view of a Ford Granada's engine:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OwyLCT1bmRA/T ... haynes.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Ape+lust wrote:
John D wrote:

The raves for that speech were pretty much unanimous in Baboonland, it was the must-see moment of TAM 2012. So, now I've seen it.

It's a sermon. A freaking sermon, even excluding the harassment drama. You, her, and everyone she knows is incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing. You can do incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing stuff, so don't let anyone tell you you're not incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing. She turned nearly 40 minutes of a skeptics conference into a boring Amway rally and they loved it.

I swear, I could tapdance and fart for 30 minutes, and as long as I gave them their empowerment strokes they'd think I was brilliant.
You're right, even minus anything about harassment, it was the Valedictorian speech at graduation. I haven't sat through something that boring since the end of high school.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

"Trigger warning for ableism, bullying, repeated ignoring of people with disabilities, and hostility to accessibility."

Thanks for warning me for "hostility to accessibility". I don't think I could have handled the shock of encountering such hostility without advance warning. I'm better prepared now; I have the spoons for it as you people say. But what if I'm triggered by trigger warnings?

Trigger warning: trigger warning

Nah, that wouldn't work.

Fuck, I need a trigger warning for PC language.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Meanwhile, the naive north European is about to be careened on the highway for questing the ontology of ass grabbing harassment. Too bad they don't know what is about to hit them. This is going to be ugly.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-715607

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Bjarte Foshaug is practising some obscure form of "alternative comedy" where the lack of humour is (supposed to be) humorous.

There's literally nothing in the random sentences plastered over the same shitty stick-man image over and over again that could be described as even a vague nod to comedy. Even the Wingdings and emoticons seem strategically placed to make the text cluttered and confusing.
If Foshaug's "comedy" could be conceptualised in a single image (other than a stick-man at a computer) it would be an exploded view of a Ford Granada's engine:
Careful. You know Opehlia's lurking. She'll see that engine drawing and split her sides laughing.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gefan wrote:
Careful. You know Opehlia's lurking. She'll see that engine drawing and split her sides laughing.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/1072 ... 59a7_c.jpg

German LurkBoatsman

Tony Parsehole wrote:
I smiled at crankshaft.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

bhoytony wrote:I'm pretty sure I must be the only person on the internet without PTSD.
I think a nice, aged hard cheese is actually protective against internet PTSD. Spot of red and you're absolutely immune.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
I smiled at crankshaft.
Not thrust washer?

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Or protect her from competing with people who got, and deserved, an A? I won't say A+.

Bullshit.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

"Engine mounting to crossmember"

Well, I do declare. There's no call for that.