Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
jet_lagg

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by jet_lagg »

So, I've been in semi-regular communication with Ophelia Benson since I arrived here. What's the general sentiment about her? Does anyone think it would be possible to come to terms? Are we too far gone for that?

Huehuehue

Post by Huehuehue »

jet_lagg wrote:So, I've been in semi-regular communication with Ophelia Benson since I arrived here. What's the general sentiment about her? Does anyone think it would be possible to come to terms? Are we too far gone for that?
My take is she is deliberately intellectually dishonest. I generally refrain from saying things like "it's too far gone" but having a productive dialogue with Ophelia would be surprising.

Your mileage may vary though.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

jet_lagg wrote:So, I've been in semi-regular communication with Ophelia Benson since I arrived here. What's the general sentiment about her? Does anyone think it would be possible to come to terms? Are we too far gone for that?
LOL. Mate, did you arrive with the last raincloud? Where have you been for the past 2 years?
Speaking for myself I wouldn't even WANT to "come to terms" with somebody like Ophelia Benson.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Huehuehue wrote:
My take is she is deliberately intellectually dishonest. I generally refrain from saying things like "it's too far gone" but having a productive dialogue with Ophelia would be surprising.

It would be a major loss of comedy material, fer sure!

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Silly Tony. I thought we had already covered the fact that black people can't be racist. The open question is what happens if a Mexican/American raps? :think:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
These sort of articles should at least try to teach people something they didn't already know. The only new thing I learned from this one was the meaning of the word trebuchet - a medieval war catapult - and even then I had to google it myself, there was no explanation or link to an explanation and I'm guessing it is not a word that everyone knows.
You'd never heard of a trebuchet before? What kind of monsters were your parents??? Why, we were building those in our backyard and launching chunks of concrete at the neighbors by the time we were 12 :D

I recall a c. 1979 issue of Scientific American with a feature on a trebuchet built in the UK that lobbed a Cooper Mini.

That was back before SciAm turned into Newsweek.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

My sentiment is that she's getting too old and senile. Nobody can go on forever and there's a time for retirement and stuff and for Ophelia that time was two years ago.

Southern

Post by Southern »

After Bjarte Foshaulg? She helped to kill comedy. OPHELIA YOU MONSTER!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

We've always been at war with Eastasia

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tony Parsehole wrote: LOL. Mate, did you arrive with the last raincloud?
You Europeans and your weird expressions ;)

Anyway, I've been ignoring it basically. It was surprisingly easy to do. I heard about A+ and liked the idea. I heard about slymepit and figured the accusations (trolls and sociopaths, they'll die off from boredom soon) were true. I honestly didn't care enough to check as I figured it was to be some short lived internet drama (which I couldn't give two shits about). Unfortunately, it appears a veritable drama engine has been constructed.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jet_lagg wrote:Unfortunately, it appears a veritable drama engine has been constructed.
More like a lols engine.

But its main purpose is documenting the lies, dishonesty, evasion, hypocrisy, and rewriting of history that the FC(n), Skeptwats, A+Theist, Carrier Bag, La-Den, &c. ad nauseum, get up to. And that's GOOD LOLLIN'!

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Lsuoma wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Unfortunately, it appears a veritable drama engine has been constructed.
More like a lols engine.

But its main purpose is documenting the lies, dishonesty, evasion, hypocrisy, and rewriting of history that the FC(n), Skeptwats, A+Theist, Carrier Bag, La-Den, &c. ad nauseum, get up to. And that's GOOD LOLLIN'!
The Bjarte comics are legendary. This is true.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Does Ophelia know that you're a contributor here? It seems to me that any terms would be fairly one-sided. Like the saying goes, "a leopard can't change it's spots." I'd personally need a little more info, any chance we could be privy to some of these communications?

Also, I've never seriously considered that you might be Carrier. Ool0n, though... :o

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

jet_lagg wrote:

Anyway, I've been ignoring it basically. It was surprisingly easy to do. I heard about A+ and liked the idea. I heard about slymepit and figured the accusations (trolls and sociopaths, they'll die off from boredom soon) were true. I honestly didn't care enough to check as I figured it was to be some short lived internet drama (which I couldn't give two shits about). Unfortunately, it appears a veritable drama engine has been constructed.
Aye. I love the drama though; I never used to but as it's went on this great divide has been the most internet fun I've had since...Well, since I found out that typing "soapy tits" into google would make loads of pictures magically appear.
I never want the rift to end.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

jet_lagg wrote:

For me this video is a fairly accurate representation of the relationship of the FTB/A+ universe and the pit:

[youtube]_Hh4M4vipAo[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:
More like a lols engine.

There are way too many laughs to give it all up.
I'm not just talking about the Photoshops, or Gefan's videos, or the quips and witty one-liners. I love the little things; like Caine trying to convince everybody she's a Native American and PZ Myers' over-hyped book being a collection of old blogposts. Things like that just make me very happy indeed.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

jet_lagg wrote:

It's because they're so deeply amusing in their willingness to take offence at just about anything; less amusing are the unsubtle attempts to use the platform as leverage for speaking gigs via coordinated takedowns of scepticism personalities, but that's another story.

A good sanity check is to go to A+ and FTB and read the comments. You can find people saying similar things in both places, but there are uncommon elements; there's little or no consensus here, it is very much an open forum. it would be true to say that the Slymepit is completely misrepresented by the critics, but the Slymepit certainly has the measure of those critics.

As for not caring enough to check, well, that's not true, is it? You're hardly the first to say it, but ultimately, you are here.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

If anybody hasn't yet typed "soapy tits" into Google images I suggest you do so right now.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Lsuoma wrote:
More like a lols engine.

These are noble aims. Shouldn't someone let Damion know?

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

prediction: she would treat it precisely as honestly and it would be precisely as productive as zvan's involvement in http://atheistskepticdialogue.com/

someone else perhaps has her glory quote. i can only get so far as welch saying
because Zvan straight-up admitted what we already knew: she had no intention of actually trying to communicate. She just wanted to show the other side was intellectually dishonest.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

feralandproud wrote:
Does Ophelia know that you're a contributor here? It seems to me that any terms would be fairly one-sided. Like the saying goes, "a leopard can't change it's spots." I'd personally need a little more info, any chance we could be privy to some of these communications?

Also, I've never seriously considered that you might be Carrier. Ool0n, though... :o
An avatar literally featuring a picture of a sock-puppet did make me laugh, whether there is anything to it or not.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote: There are way too many laughs to give it all up.
A-fuckin-men to that.

I really love the idea that some right proper academics will give Myer's blog a try cos it was rated by a top scienticfic journal as being like one of the bestest science blogs like evah (way back in 2006, that is), and then finding Nerd of Redhead there...

Bestest recent laugh: Anthony 'Aw mom!' K's blog. Poor boy, he so desperately wanted to be the next Douglas Adams. :-D

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:If anybody hasn't yet typed "soapy tits" into Google images I suggest you do so right now.
Yeah, already done it. It was very bad judgement.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Also, outside of sensible replies I could just write something like "Also, Tigzy's avatar. I mean, just look at it."

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Daaaayum. Then surely Crommunist singing "Don't look back in anger" is racist too?
Did he do a horizontal swap on the video material to look not so able bodied ?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Sulman wrote:
feralandproud wrote:

An avatar literally featuring a picture of a sock-puppet did make me laugh, whether there is anything to it or not.
Carrier would be too arrogant to deface an image of himself. It would be like a muslim extremist wiping his arse on the Koran.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:If anybody hasn't yet typed "soapy tits" into Google images I suggest you do so right now.
Already did it, mate. Well worth it ,I have to say!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sulman wrote:Also, outside of sensible replies I could just write something like "Also, Tigzy's avatar. I mean, just look at it."
Eh? It's just Nigel Tufnal out of Spinal Tap, that's all.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Trebuchets are awesome

[youtube]-wVADKznOhY[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sulman wrote:
feralandproud wrote:

Mr/Ms Lagg has, I think, definitely come here with an as-yet-undisclosed mission.

S/h/it's avatar is a reference to me pointing out that s/h/it pasted in a link which pimped Carrier Bag's book to SOMEBODY.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote: S/h/it's avatar is a reference to me pointing out that s/h/it pasted in a link which pimped Carrier Bag's book to SOMEBODY.
Badly phrased - what I meant was that clicking on the link would give 4-6% referral fees from Amazon to the person who owns the "support-carrier" associates tag. The fees would be awarded on all purchases made from the session using that link, for several hours.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

http://verastic.com/site/wp-content/upl ... -Cream.jpg

http://www.snakepictures.co.uk/images/s ... re_113.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Pogsurf wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
More like a lols engine.

These are noble aims. Shouldn't someone let Damion know?
Ol' Day-O is prolly working on a post about it right now. Cunt.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:
Next time I sit down for some one-handed internet browsing I'll definitely be using that search term again.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:
A-fuckin-men to that.

I really love the idea that some right proper academics will give Myer's blog a try cos it was rated by a top scienticfic journal as being like one of the bestest science blogs like evah (way back in 2006, that is), and then finding Nerd of Redhead there...

Bestest recent laugh: Anthony 'Aw mom!' K's blog. Poor boy, he so desperately wanted to be the next Douglas Adams. :-D
The best laugh EVAH though is the entire A+ forum. Seriously, that place could have been created by history's greatest comic minds. Do you remember the Chernobyl exclusion zone thread? Or hug-gate?
Top, top LOLZ.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
A-fuckin-men to that.

The best laugh EVAH though is the entire A+ forum. Seriously, that place could have been created by history's greatest comic minds. Do you remember the Chernobyl exclusion zone thread? Or hug-gate?
Top, top LOLZ.
And the capricious mods one, don't forget that.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Hug-gate was amazing. Too bad they could never top that.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Next time I sit down for some one-handed internet browsing I'll definitely be using that search term again.
Wait, you didn't mean this one?
http://www.dailymotion.com/us?ff=1&urlb ... its_people

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

1) Define "semi-regular conversation." Do you comment on her blog? Exchange emails? Tweet? Gossip weekly over a cup of General Foods International Coffee? I had semi-regular conversation with Benson, too. I commented politely on her blog, then she blocked me;

2) Come to terms over what, exactly? Benson endorses the A+ agenda, which not only demands that all atheist endeavors include certain social justice causes, but also insists that all atheists accept their particular definition of feminism. A-plussers put forth a slew of PoMo constructs -- Patriarchy, Rape Culture, Gender Spectrum, Privilege, wittgensteinian Sprachspiele, etc. All are incompatible with skepticism, yet anyone who fails to accept them as givens is vilified.

I'm willing to make common cause with practically anyone to further a single cause: christians on church-state separation; libertarians on civil liberties; conservatives and wiccans on animal welfare. But I cannot and will not ally with so-called 'atheists' who pervert the meaning of atheism, or with so-called 'skeptics' who reject the very principles of skepticism;

3) I concur with Hue3 and others that Benson is intellectually dishonest. She gives a talk at the Dublin WiSC claiming that abortion rights are just as bad in the US as in Eire. Getting or giving an abortion in Ireland will land you in prison, for chrissakes! Mostly, Benson just pulls stuff out of her ass, and avoids critique or ridicule by permitting none but her sycophantic followers to respond;

4) I, too, detect senile dementia in her words and actions. Lots of brain farts and confusion with reading comprehension. When she's not simply block-quoting other people's work without permission, her prose is often completely unintelligible;

5) She's a drama queen/attention whore who gets off on hearing insults about her. Not as bad as that slut for abuse, Stephanie "Story of O" Svan, but Benson is probably frothing while reading this (and yes, she's reading this);

6) She's a minor figure who's light is fading fast. She (co-)wrote, what, one obscure book ages ago? Her blog is a joke, with no reach beyond a small cadre of zealots. Her ever fewer speaking appearances are dull and factually-flawed, given before an insular, incestuous circle of con groupies.

In short, Benson neither shares any common ground with us, nor, if she did, would her sad personal & professional traits offer any value-add to our endeavors. But that's moot, as Benson herself refuses to engage us in debate or compromise on her radical demands. As I noted earlier, (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=373), her pattern of behavior mirrors that of a cult leader.

John D

Post by John D »

The best advice from the Slyme Pit... evar!

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Mr/Ms Lagg has, I think, definitely come here with an as-yet-undisclosed mission.

S/h/it's avatar is a reference to me pointing out that s/h/it pasted in a link which pimped Carrier Bag's book to SOMEBODY.
It does seem like there's an agenda. From what I've observed, this whole "feud" is merely a case of hurt fee-fees on their part. If you can't stand to be mocked, ridiculed, etc, then don't make yourself such an easy fucking target. I think any "truce", especially one initiated by "this side" would just lead to a frog and scorpion type outcome.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Trophy wrote:
Trophy. You just posted a link to a video that made me wince.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Trophy wrote:
Poor Gary Coleman. Life must have been tougher than I though after Diff'rent Strokes.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Trophy wrote:
I'm guessing no one-handed browsing for you tonight, heh!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

John D wrote:
Now let me redress the balance by asking you to type in "red pancake"

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Depends on what you mean by "We".

If you're talking about from the perspective of the SJW contingent, probably. They're never going to give up that tribalism. Ever. It's simply not going to happen...at least not until they get drummed out for some reason.

If you're talking about the general sentiment here? Sure it's possible to come to terms. They just have to acknowledge that disagreeing with them doesn't make someone a misogynist or whatever. I'd also like for them to realize that they're the Joe Lieberman of gender politics, but most importantly, drop the tribalistic bullshit and actually discuss the issues in a good faith fashion.

And when someone points out that something they said may, just may be sexist, for them to fucking get off their high horse and listen. In reality that's what started all this, is when they trashed several women for calling out their sexism.

As for Benson herself? As someone who was on the other side, I don't believe that the SJW mindset is "natural" for her. I think she's been strongly pushed into it. I still think it's only a matter of time before she says/does the wrong thing and gets drummed out for it.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Trophy wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Trophy wrote:
I'm guessing no one-handed browsing for you tonight, heh!
Pffff...I've "browsed" over worse videos.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Trophy wrote:
Poor Gary Coleman. Life must have been tougher than I though after Diff'rent Strokes.
[youtube]-6ALzUGZsOQ[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote: And the capricious mods one, don't forget that.
Actually, you're spot on with that. When they were denying the existence of a secret back-channel? The Schadenfreude was immense.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
John D wrote:
Now let me redress the balance by asking you to type in "red pancake"
Are we heading to "blue waffle" territory here?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Karmakin wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "We".
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Opportunity for a Caine-triggering punchline:

Tonto: What do you mean, 'We?" paleface?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Southern wrote:Hug-gate was amazing. Too bad they could never top that.
Dillahunty's "curious" experiment had the potential to top that but Matt's cognitive dissonance shitted it right up.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote: Are we heading to "blue waffle" territory here?
Aye.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Dillahunty's "curious" experiment had the potential to top that but Matt's cognitive dissonance shitted it right up.
Oh fuck - for some reason, that's just reminded of Greg Laden getting cross with someone on facebook, and threatening to block them...from someone else's FB page! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Oh fuck - for some reason, that's just reminded of Greg Laden getting cross with someone on facebook, and threatening to block them...from someone else's FB page! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was a real cracker, no risk!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Whenever I'm feeling blue, I just type in "bunda".

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Lsuoma wrote:
Huehuehue wrote:

It would be a major loss of comedy material, fer sure!
True dat.

Not being a SJW asshole I wouldn't even require a groveling apology and denunciation of former colleagues. She would gain my respect if she just went back to "fighting fashionable nonsense", stopped demagoging, stopped joining in witch hunts started by the usual suspects, and knocked off the drama mongering.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Whenever I'm feeling blue, I just type in "bunda".
What about Big Red's bunda? Does that give you a stalk-on?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Tigzy said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 98#p140998):
... that's just reminded of Greg Laden getting cross with someone on facebook, and threatening to block them...from someone else's FB page!

That one was just blisteringly fucking funny. I still giggle-froth over that one.

The A+ threads I am only slightly familiar with -- enough to understand how they were funny. But, frankly, I found it kind of challenging to read through A+ threads because it really felt like being a sneaky voyeur at some kind of insane asylum, where even just watching those poor broken fuckers throwing their woven baskets at each other felt somehow abusive.

About trebuchets, I'm so fucking priveleged that I learned about trebuchets in some computer game ... maybe Age of Empires? I cannot remember which game, but it was over ten years ago.

And reconciling with Ophie? How do you reconcile with someone who is that deeply dishonest and literaly swimming a ten foot deep pool of cognitive dissonance?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
In short, Benson neither shares any common ground with us, nor, if she did, would her sad personal & professional traits offer any value-add to our endeavors. But that's moot, as Benson herself refuses to engage us in debate or compromise on her radical demands. As I noted earlier, (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=373), her pattern of behavior mirrors that of a cult leader.
I disagree with comparing Ophie to a cult leader. She's more of a follower. I think most of the FC(n) concede Peezus as their leader. I think the Cowntess sees herself as a power behind the throne type. She strikes me as the most genuinely malevolent of the bunch-even more than Peezus. She stirs shit up for the pleasure of it, while Peez is doing it for blog hits and praise from his flock.
Thimbledick is just a toady, probably sees himself that way and is happy with his station.