Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Jan Steen »

welch wrote:The terrifying thing is how much he looks like his stick figures.
His work is autobiographic.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Caine quit her hall monitor position because the horde gave her a hard time?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

John Greg wrote:Caine quit her hall monitor position because the horde gave her a hard time?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Haaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
This year Christmas is coming a month and half early, hahahahahaha!

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

John Greg wrote:Caine quit her hall monitor position because the horde gave her a hard time?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Caine sez "UnzeoÈŸloka Å¡ungikte".

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Jan Steen wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

"I am tired of fighting...from where the sun now stands,
I will fight no more."

Chief Joseph

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Ironic isn't it? Caine, the ultimate Horde insider, gets her legs gnawed off by her own kind.

And still, the moronic commentariat won't be able to figure out why so many people regard them with utter contempt.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Jan Steen wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
In case Caine understands Klahoose Salish (I don't speak Lakota):
hɛhaw skʷitči ta ɬoxomɩs čino

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

NBC she asked to be rotated out. I guess that means she can be rotated back in?

Still I under-estimated the value to her of immediate self pity and drama over sustained incremental power.

Same mentality I guess shows in her bank account.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

She's probably building up such a charge at the moment that all her cutlery is sticking to her.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gumby wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Ironic isn't it? Caine, the ultimate Horde insider, gets her legs gnawed off by her own kind.
Never has the phrase "you reap what you sow" been more apt.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
The funniest part was her making a big hoo-ha over being called "chief" which somehow offended her new-found Native American sensibilities.
Too bad they didn't call her "big chief running joke" but that's asking for too much.

Sometimes I feel bad for picking on them....It passes though.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Bjarte Foshaug walks into a bar.

The end.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Bjarte Foshaug walks

The end.
FTFY

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Jan Steen wrote:It's not that Peezus has to fear an uprising. His sycophants are far too spineless for that. Take this specimen:
Dhorvath, OM wrote:I have played a part in this. It has been my response to my feelings about, and reactions towards, the monitors to comment less, and I don’t think that is a loss for me or the community. Still, I have not remained completely silent and when last I commented it was in kind with others who have made Caine feel the way she does now.

For that I am sorry.

My apologies Caine, it is easy enough for me to do something else, I ought to have let you do what you could to help PZ without my words making it harder.

Also, PZ, I could have done better by you in this. I hope you feel better after a break, and at the least you can expect me not to make this worse.
What a whiny mollusc. He grovels at Peezus' feet because of his Order of the Molly, which says "Meine Ehre heißt Treue." (Yeah, I Godwinned this comment for the fun of it.)
Well, if I remember correctly Dhorvath was the only one who appeared willing to engage me honestly at around the time of Elevatorgate and as I recall we had a conversation rather than back and forth name calling and so on.

So unless things have changed between now and then I think I would take what she has to say at face value.

(Kind of surprised she is still there actually).

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Bjarte Foshaug walks into a bar.

The end.
Too funny, try again.

Bjarte Foshaug did his taxes one day. He almost finished his 1080 EZ before realizing he barely makes enough money to need to fill out a full 1080T. He copied over his answers from the 1080 EZ and filled in the relevant missing information before getting in his car and driving to the nearest post office, where he mailed his taxes to the IRS. Then Bjarte drove home and went to bed early after drinking half a heineken. He knew he had an exciting day of raking to look forward to.

Ba-dum tish.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
The funniest part was her making a big hoo-ha over being called "chief" which somehow offended her new-found Native American sensibilities.
Too bad they didn't call her "big chief running joke" but that's asking for too much.

Oh dear. Reminds me of the punchline to an old joke that went : Big shit. No Chief.

Anyway, no I do not feel sorry for Caine in the slightest.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

*knock knock*
"Who's there?"
"Bjarte"
"Bjarte who?"
"Bjarte Foshaug"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

By Caine's definition, I must be a fully fledged caravan-jockey on the basis that one of my great great grandfathers was a gypsy street entertainer.

Which means I could probably lay a curse on her, and there's fuck-all whinging she could do about it, because that would be akin to dissing an expression of my oppressed culture.

So may ye fart your own guts out through your minge and all fold up like a bit of floppy origimi, Caine, you shrivelled shrew with a pygmy intellect.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Anyway, no I do not feel sorry for Caine in the slightest.
I do, and not because of her getting her well deserved Pharyngula-regular-comeuppance, but because she's a bit shit.
Needing $300 for pencils, pretending Native American ancestry and exhuming rat skulls? I can't help but feel a bit sad for that person.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

By Caine's definition, I must be a fully fledged caravan-jockey on the basis that one of my great great grandfathers was a gypsy street entertainer.

Which means I could probably lay a curse on her, and there's fuck-all whinging she could do about it, because that would be akin to dissing an expression of my oppressed culture.

So may ye fart your own guts out through your minge and all fold up like a bit of floppy origimi, Caine, you shrivelled shrew with a pygmy intellect.
Well, go back far enough and we're all Africans so if she disses me she's being racist.

Rope apologist

Post by Rope apologist »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Social justice, I'd call it.

Oh, and poor Peezus, having to work to keep the righteous ones in line. Can't just throw a bunch of old blogposts at this thing, now can you, Peezus? They're better than all of us unwashed peasant unbelievers, but somehow they can't even treat each other properly.

Yeah, good idea driving away everyone who'd rather discuss things than to instantly judge them based on some whining propagandistic morality designed to shame all evil-doers into submission.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

John D wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:If anybody hasn't yet typed "soapy tits" into Google images I suggest you do so right now.
The best advice from the Slyme Pit... evar!
Provided you have a very strong resistance to silicone! (I prefer both search terms without.)

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:It's not that Peezus has to fear an uprising. His sycophants are far too spineless for that. Take this specimen:
Dhorvath, OM wrote:I have played a part in this. It has been my response to my feelings about, and reactions towards, the monitors to comment less, and I don’t think that is a loss for me or the community. Still, I have not remained completely silent and when last I commented it was in kind with others who have made Caine feel the way she does now.

For that I am sorry.

My apologies Caine, it is easy enough for me to do something else, I ought to have let you do what you could to help PZ without my words making it harder.

Also, PZ, I could have done better by you in this. I hope you feel better after a break, and at the least you can expect me not to make this worse.
What a whiny mollusc. He grovels at Peezus' feet because of his Order of the Molly, which says "Meine Ehre heißt Treue." (Yeah, I Godwinned this comment for the fun of it.)
Well, if I remember correctly Dhorvath was the only one who appeared willing to engage me honestly at around the time of Elevatorgate and as I recall we had a conversation rather than back and forth name calling and so on.

So unless things have changed between now and then I think I would take what she has to say at face value.

(Kind of surprised she is still there actually).
What makes you think Dhorvath is a 'she'?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Wide receiver of the Chicago Bears makes some sense, points out how people treat boys and girls differently

--“Look at it from this standpoint. Take a little boy and a little girl. The little boy falls down, and the first thing we say as parents: ‘Get up, shake it off. You’ll be OK, don’t cry.’ When the girl falls down, what do we say? ‘It’s gonna be OK,’” Marshall explained. “We validate their feelings. So right there from that moment, we’re teaching our men to mask their feelings, don’t show their emotions. --

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/p ... -to-change

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

For that I am sorry.

Dhorvath? Fucking Doormat, more like...

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Tony Parsehole wrote:*knock knock*
"Who's there?"
"Bjarte"
"Bjarte who?"
"Bjarte Foshaug"
Why did Bjarte Foshaug cross the road?

He was walking to work.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

justinvacula wrote:Wide receiver of the Chicago Bears makes some sense, points out how people treat boys and girls differently

--“Look at it from this standpoint. Take a little boy and a little girl. The little boy falls down, and the first thing we say as parents: ‘Get up, shake it off. You’ll be OK, don’t cry.’ When the girl falls down, what do we say? ‘It’s gonna be OK,’” Marshall explained. “We validate their feelings. So right there from that moment, we’re teaching our men to mask their feelings, don’t show their emotions. --

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/p ... -to-change
A Vacula comment without a link to some Vacula activity?

Who are you and why are you hacking the Vacula's account?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

James Caruthers wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:*knock knock*
"Who's there?"
"Bjarte"
"Bjarte who?"
"Bjarte Foshaug"
Why did Bjarte Foshaug cross the road?

He was walking to work.
Bjarte Foshaug was cycling down a cobbled street and...I...meh...

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Tony Parsehole said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 86#p141086):

The end.

LOL a lot. That gave me a great laugh. Love it.

gargamel

Post by gargamel »

John Greg wrote:Tony Parsehole said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 86#p141086):

The end.

LOL a lot. That gave me a great laugh. Love it.
God, me too. I am dying. I am going to try.

Bjarte Foshaug walks into a bar. He says, "Ouch, why has someone place a bar in my path?"

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:So, I've been in semi-regular communication with Ophelia Benson since I arrived here. What's the general sentiment about her? Does anyone think it would be possible to come to terms? Are we too far gone for that?
[snip]
In short, Benson neither shares any common ground with us, nor, if she did, would her sad personal & professional traits offer any value-add to our endeavors. But that's moot, as Benson herself refuses to engage us in debate or compromise on her radical demands. As I noted earlier, (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=373), her pattern of behavior mirrors that of a cult leader.
If you don't mind me JAQing off for a moment, I want to push back on this for a second. My question is simple: Ellen Beth Wachs went from persona non grata around here to being (mostly) accepted after she crossed that gaggle of social retarded toddlers that PZ considers his Horde. If EBW can be redeemed of her past SJW, why not Ophelia? Has Ophelia done anything that EBW wasn't previously guilty of?

Several folks here have spoken positively of her early collaborative work at B&W and Kamarkin said earlier today that "I don't believe that the SJW mindset is "natural" for her. I think she's been strongly pushed into it. I still think it's only a matter of time before she says/does the wrong thing and gets drummed out for it." Must she leave the SJW nest in a blaze of glory (like EBW) before people here will consider giving her a chance? Or is there room for rapprochement in the absence of that?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Jan Steen wrote: What makes you think Dhorvath is a 'she'?
Dunno. What makes you think Dhorvath is a "he"?

(not being snarky and open to correction)

Southern

Post by Southern »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
You won't be laughing when her and her Apache Rat Horde go after you.

Post by Guest »

mikelf wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:So, I've been in semi-regular communication with Ophelia Benson since I arrived here. What's the general sentiment about her? Does anyone think it would be possible to come to terms? Are we too far gone for that?
[snip]
In short, Benson neither shares any common ground with us, nor, if she did, would her sad personal & professional traits offer any value-add to our endeavors. But that's moot, as Benson herself refuses to engage us in debate or compromise on her radical demands. As I noted earlier, (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=373), her pattern of behavior mirrors that of a cult leader.
If you don't mind me JAQing off for a moment, I want to push back on this for a second. My question is simple: Ellen Beth Wachs went from persona non grata around here to being (mostly) accepted after she crossed that gaggle of social retarded toddlers that PZ considers his Horde. If EBW can be redeemed of her past SJW, why not Ophelia? Has Ophelia done anything that EBW wasn't previously guilty of?

Several folks here have spoken positively of her early collaborative work at B&W and Kamarkin said earlier today that "I don't believe that the SJW mindset is "natural" for her. I think she's been strongly pushed into it. I still think it's only a matter of time before she says/does the wrong thing and gets drummed out for it." Must she leave the SJW nest in a blaze of glory (like EBW) before people here will consider giving her a chance? Or is there room for rapprochement in the absence of that?
never say never

but ophelia has too much time and ego invested while ebw took a first objective look outside and reconsidered

even though aplus may have written ophelia off theyre of no concern to her. just her ego, which has had many MANY opportunities to adjust stance and stop being a creationist (of her own harassment)

never say never, but looooooooooooong odds

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I've clearly lived a deprived childhood!
The thing is, 'trebuchet' is not exactly a common word and yet Watson used it twice within that article without a link or explanation for those of us who didn't have an upbringing that involved attacking medieval fortresses with giant stone- flinging catapults.
Punkin Chunkin competitions have trebuchet categories:

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/machine-rules

My undergrad alma mater is primarily an engineering school at heart, and as a product of such, I have an unholy fascination with catapults, industrial strength slingshots, trebuchets, Frisbee golf, experimenting with marshmallow peeps and other snack foods, Rube Goldbergesque practical jokes, and dropping eggs in protective contraptions off the top floors of tall buildings.

No regrets, and I'll admit to having watched several Punkin Chunkin competitions.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote: Why did Bjarte Foshaug cross the road?

He was walking to work.
Mr and Mrs Foshaug decide to have a baby.

9 months later Mrs. Foshaug gives birth to a slightly grey, but otherwise healthy boy. They name him Bjarte.

A year passes and young Bjarte seems to be getting on fine. He crawls, he shits his nappy and he always eats his frozen peas but something is wrong. For his entire 365 days on Earth young Bjarte has remained utterly silent. Never crying or gurgling. No mumbling or moaning. Completely and utterly silent.

Another 6 months pass and still Bjarte makes no sound.

Mr and Mrs. Foshaug begin to worry. Surely this isn't normal?

They send him to the doctor who thoroughly examines the child and, after finding nothing physically wrong with him (apart from being slightly grey and insipid looking), Doc decides Bjarte's unusual silence must be some kind of "phase" and attempts to reassure the worried parents by saying that "he'll grow out of it".

Another year passes and still, no sound, no noise, no words from Bjarte.

Mr and Mrs. Foshaug resign themselves to the fact that their child is a mute.

Then, one day, when Bjarte is 5 years old, Mr. and Mrs. Foshaug are sitting down to a dinner of frozen peas with their silent child.
Bjarte places a forkful of peas into his mouth, chews, and then....Stops.
He looks at his parents and says his first ever words:
"These peas are lukewarm"
Mr. and Mrs. Foshaug stare at the child, utterly stunned.
Mrs. Foshaug manages to stutter:
"Y...Y...You can talk!?"
And young Bjarte says:
"Yes"
Mrs. Foshaug, hysterical with joy, says:
"But why didn't you say anything before!?"
And Bjarte replies:
"Because up until now everything was satisfactory."

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

mikelf wrote: Several folks here have spoken positively of her early collaborative work at B&W and Kamarkin said earlier today that "I don't believe that the SJW mindset is "natural" for her. I think she's been strongly pushed into it. I still think it's only a matter of time before she says/does the wrong thing and gets drummed out for it." Must she leave the SJW nest in a blaze of glory (like EBW) before people here will consider giving her a chance? Or is there room for rapprochement in the absence of that?
I have no problems if she want to come here and talk. Apart from that, just like EBW I do not care which side of the fence she leans towards, or even if she straddles it.

*shrug*

She has issues. I doubt she is capable of working them out, and whatever "side" she is on they will still be there.

YMMV

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I start to have sympathies for PZ Myers. How would you feel like if others told you about issues in the community you run, and it's not about some rough words at times, but the genuinely hateful and nasty parts, and you — in PZ Myers shoes — just won't see it. You go into a state of denial, because the critics are people you absolutely don't like. They can't be right! They just can't be! But the numbers go down as people turn away from your blog, and away from the community. His Co-Blogger leaves for similar reasons and it all starts sinking in. People are super angry at Dawkins again for having said once he doesn't like to share a stage with Watson, and you — still in PZ Myers shoes — know you did this too. It all starts sinking in, slowly. People are nasty to each other once they run out of targets, and eat each other and you see all that and it dawns on you... something is not right. A few more times you are very happy to see how Benson and Zvan haul up examples from the evil other side, which is like ointment for the soul. Good feeling. Still the right side. But the fix doesn't last for long. It's the same excersize over and over and it doesn't give that kind of boost anymore for long. It's all about to fall apart.

PZ takes a brief break: “sick, exasperated, tired, overloaded” (not much text else, comments are just “get well”) and thinks about what to do with this mess. I sympathize. The thing with cognitive dissonace is that it sweeps convictions away, or bolsters them. They were hardened a few times, like when he was proud of his horde. But there comes a point where you can't possibly keep it up. And that seems to come through now. PZ is also a very judgemental person. It would be very unusual when he genuinely coulnd't see the various flaws he doesn't like with other people in his horde.

2014 will be very different year than this one was. The Pit probably finds fun stuff or spoofs something else (but we got to watch out, too), but FTB and Pharyngula most likely won't continue in that fashion. I don't believe it. The trends go down, the key indicators aren't good, the reception in the community has gone sour (outside of anything Slymepit related), all news that suppose to be good, from stuff e.g. Dawkins, always turn negative there and that became to be the standard. What's left?

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

And still, the moronic commentariat won't be able to figure out why so many people regard them with utter contempt.
The machine must be fed.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Guest wrote:
mikelf wrote:

never say never

but ophelia has too much time and ego invested while ebw took a first objective look outside and reconsidered

even though aplus may have written ophelia off theyre of no concern to her. just her ego, which has had many MANY opportunities to adjust stance and stop being a creationist (of her own harassment)

never say never, but looooooooooooong odds
Could I still make Card Against Humanity references with her?

Black card:
"What helps Obama Ophelia to relax?"

White card:
"Pixelated bukkake."

Black card:
"What do old people Ophelia Benson smells like?"

White card:
"Poopy diapers."

Black card:
"What is Batman's Ophelia's guilty pleasure?"

White card:
"Surprise sex!"

Black card:
"During sex, I Ophelia likes to think about __________"

White card:
"Penis envy."

The SJW crowd is right, this game is very funny. Specially when you pu their names on the cards! I'm sure they would love this variant.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Southern wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
You won't be laughing when her and her Apache Rat Horde go after you.
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74 ... 0e820d.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

mikelf wrote: If you don't mind me JAQing off for a moment, I want to push back on this for a second. My question is simple: Ellen Beth Wachs went from persona non grata around here to being (mostly) accepted after she crossed that gaggle of social retarded toddlers that PZ considers his Horde. If EBW can be redeemed of her past SJW, why not Ophelia? Has Ophelia done anything that EBW wasn't previously guilty of?

From my perspective, dramatic blaze-of-glory nest-leaving wouldn't be required for giving someone like Ophelia a chance; I try to be open-minded and non-judgmental, if someone seems to be making an effort to be friendly or is trying to see the other side of an issue. But I'd have to be pretty certain that the person in question was making a sincere effort at mutual understanding and open-mindedness. Ophelia just seems too far gone down the dishonest path of "Pitters are all murderous misogynistic racist shit." Why would I want to interact with someone who believes that?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Aneris wrote:I start to have sympathies for PZ Myers. How would you feel like if others told you about issues in the community you run, and it's not about some rough words at times, but the genuinely hateful and nasty parts, and you — in PZ Myers shoes — just won't see it. You go into a state of denial, because the critics are people you absolutely don't like. They can't be right! They just can't be! But the numbers go down as people turn away from your blog, and away from the community. His Co-Blogger leaves for similar reasons and it all starts sinking in. People are super angry at Dawkins again for having said once he doesn't like to share a stage with Watson, and you — still in PZ Myers shoes — know you did this too. It all starts sinking in, slowly. People are nasty to each other once they run out of targets, and eat each other and you see all that and it dawns on you... something is not right. A few more times you are very happy to see how Benson and Zvan haul up examples from the evil other side, which is like ointment for the soul. Good feeling. Still the right side. But the fix doesn't last for long. It's the same excersize over and over and it doesn't give that kind of boost anymore for long. It's all about to fall apart.

PZ takes a brief break: “sick, exasperated, tired, overloaded” (not much text else, comments are just “get well”) and thinks about what to do with this mess. I sympathize. The thing with cognitive dissonace is that it sweeps convictions away, or bolsters them. They were hardened a few times, like when he was proud of his horde. But there comes a point where you can't possibly keep it up. And that seems to come through now. PZ is also a very judgemental person. It would be very unusual when he genuinely coulnd't see the various flaws he doesn't like with other people in his horde.

2014 will be very different year than this one was. The Pit probably finds fun stuff or spoofs something else (but we got to watch out, too), but FTB and Pharyngula most likely won't continue in that fashion. I don't believe it. The trends go down, the key indicators aren't good, the reception in the community has gone sour (outside of anything Slymepit related), all news that suppose to be good, from stuff e.g. Dawkins, always turn negative there and that became to be the standard. What's left?
What's left? Our incondition love for them! Besides, PZ & friends still have each other. In the end, getting drunk with Rebecca Watson in some skeptic convention; what else an intelectual can aspire for? Maybe they can even continue to play Cards Against Humanity, forever and ever, all together and happy like a family.

My point is, don't feel bad for PZ. He still has is commentariat, that he himself cultivated to be exaclty like he wanted (vicious, not nice, etc.). And he still has his partnership with Ed, he has Greta Christina's erotic fanfic, he has Feefle's witty posts full of goodies (like Bjarte Foshaulg's Ton O'Fun comics)... he even has The Intelectual Artillery of Atheism on his side, for Christ's sake.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Stephanie Zvan's tampax needs replacing:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -response/

See? There's NO POINT in trying to placate them. They'll find victim points in their morning cuppa.
Let the hilarity flow I say.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

In that thread link I just posted Zvan links to a comment FreeThoughtPolice made when he was threatened with being stabbed in the Thundedome.
I felt so bad for Stephanie getting that threat that felt I needed to comment on the “How was your day?” thread.
I expect it will make it out of moderation any minute now, but if not, here it is:

abear says:
November 8, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Stephanie: What a horrible thing for that monster to say. You must be terrified.
Several months ago I had a criminal threat made to me over the internet that emphasized it WOULD be carried out!
It was so worrisome that I have since been diagnosed with PTSD.

Tethys

7 February 2013 at 3:24 pm (UTC -6)

You are not Paul.

And this is THUNDERDOME!!

*Breaks two liquor bottles and brandishes the jagged necks.*

I WILL cut you abear, you stupid fucking troll.
Zvan's response?:
I am very sorry for your trauma, whatever your name is. I hope that PZ took immediate steps when you brought this to his attention to make sure no broken bottles would actually be allowed in the Thunderdome, his open comment thread.
This is from a woman moaning about a "threat" on Twitter that wasn't even addressed to her.
What a fucking idiotic cunt.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
These sort of articles should at least try to teach people something they didn't already know. The only new thing I learned from this one was the meaning of the word trebuchet - a medieval war catapult - and even then I had to google it myself, there was no explanation or link to an explanation and I'm guessing it is not a word that everyone knows.
I think my first encounter with that device was a couple decades ago in an episode of Northern Exposure when the dj guy made a full sized one and started throwing things into a field as a performance art of some kind. Everyone gets into in a cathartic sort of way, finishing off with a piano, I think.

You can get kits on line to build small table top ones at Thinkgeek. There are also catapults for cheaper.

welch

Post by welch »

BarnOwl wrote:
mikelf wrote: If you don't mind me JAQing off for a moment, I want to push back on this for a second. My question is simple: Ellen Beth Wachs went from persona non grata around here to being (mostly) accepted after she crossed that gaggle of social retarded toddlers that PZ considers his Horde. If EBW can be redeemed of her past SJW, why not Ophelia? Has Ophelia done anything that EBW wasn't previously guilty of?

From my perspective, dramatic blaze-of-glory nest-leaving wouldn't be required for giving someone like Ophelia a chance; I try to be open-minded and non-judgmental, if someone seems to be making an effort to be friendly or is trying to see the other side of an issue. But I'd have to be pretty certain that the person in question was making a sincere effort at mutual understanding and open-mindedness. Ophelia just seems too far gone down the dishonest path of "Pitters are all murderous misogynistic racist shit." Why would I want to interact with someone who believes that?
It would, at very least have to start with an apology and actual action. Not denouncements per se, drama is meaningless. I mean actions that show an actual change in how she sees things. I don't care if the old bat ever likes me or anyone else. But this constant squawking and lying has to stop. Period.

EBW not only announced she'd changed her views, but her subsequent actions showed that. Same thing applies. It's not enough to just flounce.

JAB

Post by JAB »

I want to thank jet lagg for the comment that launched that little trip down memory lane on the last page. Those highlights of the lols had me lolling all over again. Good times.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Also, now that I've finally caught up... Service Dog. Where's your fucking blog? In the last while you've done some great research and posted some awesome rants and they're now lost back in the stream of ideas that is this thread. They need to be more available. Get Renee to set you up with a blog.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

For your reading pleasure.
Outrage World
How feminist blogs like Jezebel gin up page views by exploiting women's worst tendencies.

The issues in the atheist community, as also seen in Pinker's various tweets on censorious attitudes at campusses, are indeed symptom of a larger issue.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I should have quoted that part:
Slate: [url=http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2010/07/outrage_world.2.html]Outrage World[/url] wrote: These firestorms are great for page-view-pimping bloggy business. But they promote the exact opposite of progressive thought and rational discourse, and the comment wars they elicit almost inevitably devolve into didactic one-upsmanship and faux-feminist cliché.
[...] Page views are generated by commenters who are moved to speak out, then revisit the comment thread endlessly to see how people have responded to their ideas. Ergo, more provocative posts tend to generate far more page views, and the easiest way for Jezebel writers to be provocative is to stoke readers' insecurities—just in a different way. [...] The only difference is the level of doublespeak and manipulation that it takes to produce that result. [...] On the Web, writers tend to play up the most jealousy- and insecurity-evoking aspects of controversy, and then anonymous commenters—who bear no responsibility for the effects of their statements—take the writers' hints to any possible extreme. It's just how the Internet works. At the same time, many posts on these sites aren't consciously written with the twisted mess of intentions I just described. Probably many of the writers feel that their work is helping women by exposing sexism and getting important women's issues onto their radar.
That could as well be said about certain blogs.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

I don't know why Steffy doesn't just save herself the bother and simply mirror this forum at FTB.

free thoughtpolice

Tony Parsehole wrote:In that thread link I just posted Zvan links to a comment FreeThoughtPolice made when he was threatened with being stabbed in the Thundedome.
I felt so bad for Stephanie getting that threat that felt I needed to comment on the “How was your day?” thread.
I expect it will make it out of moderation any minute now, but if not, here it is:

abear says:
November 8, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Stephanie: What a horrible thing for that monster to say. You must be terrified.
Several months ago I had a criminal threat made to me over the internet that emphasized it WOULD be carried out!
It was so worrisome that I have since been diagnosed with PTSD.

Tethys

7 February 2013 at 3:24 pm (UTC -6)

You are not Paul.

And this is THUNDERDOME!!

*Breaks two liquor bottles and brandishes the jagged necks.*

I WILL cut you abear, you stupid fucking troll.
Zvan's response?:
I am very sorry for your trauma, whatever your name is. I hope that PZ took immediate steps when you brought this to his attention to make sure no broken bottles would actually be allowed in the Thunderdome, his open comment thread.
This is from a woman moaning about a "threat" on Twitter that wasn't even addressed to her.
What a fucking idiotic cunt.
Did she respond? I don't see her response.
I see a comment allowed after mine. I didn't see my comment or her response.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Stephanie Zvan's tampax needs replacing:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -response/

See? There's NO POINT in trying to placate them. They'll find victim points in their morning cuppa.
Let the hilarity flow I say.
Fits nicely into the pattern just described. The next fix. If your own issues start to annoy you, find the opponent and see how they are worse. Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps PZ Myers just swings back. He sees how terrible this forum here is, and is happy again with his horde and willing to overlook the issues. Rinse and repeat. :D

But it's new to be referenced and also see a variety of comments, including some that indicate they didn't exactly like the comment (to me it was a troll comment, gumby found it stupid etc). Kudos to Zvan.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Did she respond? I don't see her response.
It's at the end of the post after that long quoted section.

free thoughtpolice

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Maybe Thibblededoo has bewitched my computer? Or is this a conspiracy? I still can't find it. :shock:

Really?

Post by Really? »

Dick Strawkins wrote:The real problem with that Dragoncon event is that we didn't have someone like Rebecca Watson there, providing the kind of high minded and classy example for which she is deservedly famous.

[youtube]3GZNGLwYVcY[/youtube]
Is that really RW? The glasses look like hers. You have GOT to be shitting me. The woman literally brands another man's skin (yes, with marker that will wash off eventually), but has made tens of thousands of dollars off of being propositioned on an elevator.

Do I have this straight? Scribbling on a man's ass = okay.
Including someone in an @ tweet = harassment that causes PTSD.

Amazing.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Maybe Thibblededoo has bewitched my computer? Or is this a conspiracy? I still can't find it. :shock:
You looking at the right link? We're talking about a new Zvan blogpost from a few hours ago.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Aneris wrote:
<snip>

PZ's disingenuous and judgmental posts and comments about people who disagree with him reduce my sympathy significantly. Most human beings get sick, or feel tired and frustrated and overloaded from time to time, and most of us just have to suck it up. Many of the FtB woes and ills seem to be self-inflicted, in any case, or dubious at best. Can't work because you have ADD and you don't like to work and instead prefer to dose yourself with beer, pizza, and Ritalin that wasn't prescribed to you? Really? Seems pretty fucking stupid and immature to me. I don't wish illness and accidents and misfortune on them, but at the same time, I'm not particularly sympathetic to the relatively minor complaints and hardships that they blow out of proportion.

free thoughtpolice

Tony Parsehole:
You looking at the right link? We're talking about a new Zvan blogpost from a few hours ago.
Thanks, I looked in the post that I commented on for a reply.