Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by welch »

Cunt of Personality wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:(You are never going to believe she said this) Carrie Poppy "Great point! I also visited the World Trade Center once and you know what? IT WAS THERE."

What??
I'd never visited the World Trade Centre, and now it's gone. Spooky.
It was there, then i visited, and now it's gone.

sorry guys, my bad.

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:I loved the 'You're so brave!! Thank you!!' Comments.

Its true. Grothe and Shermer will likely hire assassins to eliminate Poppy now. The are known for their extreme violence.

*roll eyes*
Hmmm...and you just got a new job....

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Peezus has a rather silly addition to the thread:

http://i.imgur.com/6h83cvL.jpg

How is that a contradiction?
A more relevant question: How is that TWO contradictions?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I showed yesterday that a post on serious feminist issues (such as rape not being treated as a serious crime in some societies) seem to get only 10% the number of comments as posts on the ongoing internet drama.

They don't result in ongoing views for the blogs in question, who then need to stoke the fires of drama on a regular basis in order to attract views.
But this kind of fake drama becomes obvious after a while. People get bored when the same claims of outrage are recycled again and again, particularly when trying to raise a question about this will result in you being banned and labeled an enemy of freethought.
Hence the slow, inevitable decline of readers.

Where's Peezus' contradiction?
How many comments did Ophie get on her "The pit called me unfuckable post"?
Not nearly as many as she would've gotten a year ago .

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

You know the way that extreme feminists can sometimes appear very similar to religious fundamentalists?
There's a good example of that on that Carrie Poppy facebook thread.
The woman, who seems to be Swedish, discusses three incidents that occured in a previous TAM.
The first two involved reactions to her own beviour from men - who seemed to think she was being flirtatious with them and they were not interested.
The third involved a man doing the same to her.

And yet she deems all three incidents as proof that men at TAM are sexist!

In the end she recommends no women should attend TAM - and even suggests that having women wear burqas and sitting in a segregated section of the conference venue might be a solution! :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/YkE49oH.jpg

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

welch wrote:

Reality, not highbrow arguments is what undoes the FTB shit.
It depends on what you mean by reality.

Personally I think there's some notion to the idea that creating a coherent model for equality is important in terms of defusing the spread of SJW ideology. People WANT to support equality, I think. It seems like a no-brainer, and in a lot of cases the SJW movement is presenting themselves as the only game in town.

Not that I'm agreeing with Steers...I think that going all pedantic isn't the way to go either.

Bot to me, that's what reality is.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Even assuming that the three incidents happened exactly as she describes, what strikes me most is how she can't seem to handle it. I mean, what she actually describes is just so fucking innocuous. Guys flirt with women; that will never change, and what's more, it SHOULD never change. Most women can deal with it, even if it isn't welcome. Anita Ikonen is inadvertently making the case for women requiring keepers. Brava.

Little tip, Anita. This is why so many women hate you. It's why so many women think you're giving feminism a bad name.

Southern

Post by Southern »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/PE7IbzV.jpg

First Jew who touches my wife .....

:rimshot:
Wait. What? We're anti-Semitic now? I didn't get the email. Are you guys shutting me out of the Pit back channel? Why? What did I do?
I for myself like the Third Reich since I watched this documentary about them:

[youtube]K08akOt2kuo[/youtube]

That Hitler guy, so charming!

windy

Post by windy »

Aneris wrote:A Halloween reminder about the #MillionMaskMarch! The march happens on the 5th of November around the globe in many big cities.

http://millionmaskmarch.org/
And, well, just google your city.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/ph ... 1382965453
I like the biodegradable pumpkin version, but I really can't take those Guy Fawkes-masks seriously as an "antiestablishment" protest...

http://chrisblattman.com/files/2013/07/JCIzXVT.jpg

link.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I'm going to be testing this in a bit.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/08/ ... g-through/

Opened for sale just a few minutes ago on Steam.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dick Strawkins wrote:You know the way that extreme feminists can sometimes appear very similar to religious fundamentalists?
The woman, who seems to be Swedish, discusses three incidents that occured in a previous TAM.
The first two involved reactions to her own beviour from men - who seemed to think she was being flirtatious with them and they were not interested.

In the end she recommends no women should attend TAM - and even suggests that having women wear burqas and sitting in a segregated section of the conference venue might be a solution! :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/YkE49oH.jpg
And just how, exactly, is anyone supposed to get laid, at a conference or ever, if there's no flirting allowed?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Pitchguest wrote:I'm going to be testing this in a bit.

I backed this on Kickstarter, but I'm not going to have a chance to play it any time soon. I'd definitely be interested in hearing your opinion of it...

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:You know the way that extreme feminists can sometimes appear very similar to religious fundamentalists?

[img]...[/img]
I think Anita's a breatharian that used to hang around the JREF forums years ago. Here's her website:
http://visionfromfeeling.wordpress.com/ ... ta-ikonen/

I remember a member there set up a STOP website called StopVisionFromFeeling, similar to the StopSyliviaBrown website. The funny thing is that she didn't hate the (married) person who did it, she stalked and harassed him! I remember the harassee was pretty pissed off at times.

She also had Shermer in her room, at TAM, who just went to sleep on the edge of her bed or something. No rumpy pumpy.

acathode

Post by acathode »

I showed yesterday that a post on serious feminist issues (such as rape not being treated as a serious crime in some societies) seem to get only 10% the number of comments as posts on the ongoing internet drama.

They don't result in ongoing views for the blogs in question, who then need to stoke the fires of drama on a regular basis in order to attract views.
But this kind of fake drama becomes obvious after a while. People get bored when the same claims of outrage are recycled again and again, particularly when trying to raise a question about this will result in you being banned and labeled an enemy of freethought.

PZ might still be high on the Shermer spike:
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/freethoughtblogs.com

The thing with the drama hits, is that they don't last long, and the trend is pretty obvious - FTB is slowly declining, 2012 they were staying above or around the 20k rank most of the year, 2013 they've been well below the 20k rank line for most of the year, and getting closer and closer to the 30k rank. The Shermer spike was enough to drag FTB up for a month, but then they plummeted back down and are back where they started again.

Google trends also show a pretty telling graph.

I suspect we're going to see more and graver accusations come from FTB in the near future, considering Ophelia's "we have a higher ranking than Richard Dawkins!" post, I'd speculate that they are very aware of the increased traffic the drama brought and keep track of it in their backchannel. The Shermer grenade got them sniffing the 10k ranking, and I'm sure they felt very good about that... but the high is gone now, and they'll need a new fix.

Oh, and Anita Ikonen, this must be the same person?
http://www.iigwest.com/investigations/anita_ikonen/

It also seems she have a long and controversial history with JREF and on the JREF forums, where she've claimed to have several paranormal abilities, gotten temp banned, thrown tantrums, etc...
I don't have time (guest arriving in an hour!) to dig around, but she seem to be popping up all over the place in relation to TAM, JREF, and the whole "women aren't safe at TAM" mess, for example she's mentioned by Ashley Miller in this post and pop up in the comment section here.
I don't have time to dig, but it's funny how it seems that almost everyone she meet, from JREF members to her school staff, accuses her of being inappropriately flirtatious etc... almost as if she isn't "just" asking people if they want to sit at their table or take a photo with her.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk/20 ... ta-ikonen/
"Anita Ikonen, a Swedish national, describes herself as a medical intuitive, claiming to be able to detect medical information about a person by simply looking at them."
Perhaps she can also detect sexism in men by simply looking at them? :think:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Suet Cardigan wrote:From:
http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk/20 ... ta-ikonen/
"Anita Ikonen, a Swedish national, describes herself as a medical intuitive, claiming to be able to detect medical information about a person by simply looking at them."
Perhaps she can also detect sexism in men by simply looking at them? :think:
But her powers can be blocked by a strategically-placed clipboard.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

acathode wrote:
It also seems she have a long and controversial history with JREF and on the JREF forums, where she've claimed to have several paranormal abilities, gotten temp banned, thrown tantrums, etc...
I don't have time (guest arriving in an hour!) to dig around, but she seem to be popping up all over the place in relation to TAM, JREF, and the whole "women aren't safe at TAM" mess, for example she's mentioned by Ashley Miller in this post and pop up in the comment section here.
I don't have time to dig, but it's funny how it seems that almost everyone she meet, from JREF members to her school staff, accuses her of being inappropriately flirtatious etc... almost as if she isn't "just" asking people if they want to sit at their table or take a photo with her.
From your link she claims to have:
The ability to see ghosts – the ghosts of America's founding fathers, the ghosts of animals, the ghosts of dinosaurs and many others – as well as the ability to communicate with or at least receive information from these ghosts.
I'm too tired to even bother mocking that.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

She's a nutcase.
I can manifest atoms and soon also larger objects, and am learning to gain back my abilities and knowledge as I had prior to my incarnation. On my home world, we do not eat solid foods, our bodies are manifested in ways that I am learning to now apply to my human being, and go periods without eating or drinking, gaining incredible health and bodily rejuvenation. I am an alien manifestation. I am here for you, when ever you need to have contact. I can let you meet my alien contacts, they will gladly show you spaceships (UFOs) if we go together. I can heal any illness or bodily discomfort that you might have. Rejuvenation is here for you. Any science you ask for, is yours. We are here for you. Much love, Alenara, and the people of Telmaar.
http://www.ufoinfo.com/filer/2005/ff0537.shtml

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Lsuoma wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:I'm going to be testing this in a bit.

I backed this on Kickstarter, but I'm not going to have a chance to play it any time soon. I'd definitely be interested in hearing your opinion of it...
Okay, first impressions a few minutes in: instantly atmospheric. That's the first thing I noticed. I liked that. Second thing I noticed was the obviously lopsided resolution of the character as opposed to the background environment, which I have a feeling is deliberate. (The backdrop is gorgeously rendered, while the main character looks like she was drawn in Paint.)

*Very* linear. By which I mean, in other run of the mill point-and-click adventure games, you have an option where to go and what to click on. In this, you do not. Having only played for five minutes or so, I don't know if this will eventually change but so far it seems to be very linear indeed. (By which I mean, you must first click on that thing before you can proceed to click on that other thing.)

The interaction of objects in this game has an interesting mechanic, in that some objects are interacted with by the main character (in a sequence) and some objects are interacted with by you (the player) in real time.

None of this is inherently good or bad, except for the atmosphere which I liked; these are just some observations I had.

When I finish it, I'll write a more comprehensive review.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I've posted my comment at Ophelia's, and it went into moderation (probably first time commenter protection). In any case, and for your interest:
Aneris wrote:When I’m asked why I participate somewhere, I would highlight aspects I found interesting. When I am asked why I do <b>not</b> participate, I would point out why it isn’t worthwhile for me. Positive aspects and negative aspects may refer to completely different things, and then people talk past each other. This is categorical thinking which gets apparently overlooked.

In practice, the things you feel are negative aren’t (necessarily) the things others find interesting. Regarding the Slymepit, I would place some high confidence that this the case for most people. You are quite correct, making crude comments about people isn’t motivating anyone for long. But if you know that already, why do you assume it is the case? If you aren’t understanding it, why do you search for extreme and extremer explanations, instead of the more likely ones?

My observation is that on this side of the fence, there is an extremely distorted image of what that obscure forum is about. Don’t worry, I won’t praise it and have no ambition to recruit people, but you are, frankly, getting it mostly wrong. There is a grain of truth in your perception, but it is widely different than what you think it is.

As a matter of fact, I don’t like these insults either. And I don’t have to. But I see that insults aren’t unusual in comment sections, and this is something I learned mainly from the tone on Pharyngula and FTB in general, which I always perceived as over the top extreme. I am one of those people who prefer less insults and don’t use them myself, certainly never used slurs. But you have a rationalisation scheme for that as well – it’s the dreaded “civility” faction that allegedly denies tormented souls their justified anger. Not only are your views typically widely inconsistent, they also don’t add up in the proper context.

Using your very assumptions, I could pull out articles on – say Thunderf00t – from a year ago, half a year ago, and from recently and then maintain, as you do, that you folks were obsessed with Thunderf00t. Since the Slymepit is not an equivlanent of FOX news, but provides links and screenshots all the time, and not just distorted opinions, I know that you aren’t always occupied with Thunderf00t.

When it comes to the type of insults, I’d rather have Welch’s insults levelled against me than get the type of comments Mr. “Die in a Fire” Wowbagger liked to use (this clearly morally superior individual posted here on 38). Likewise, when bloggers here open hunting season on someone, something you can be proud of having popularized, there are easily hundreds of comments of insults, mockery and expressions of hatred – apparently no problem. The only thing that works for you is that your place is more discrete by using article structures, whereas the Slymepit is one stream-of-conciousness meta comment thread (when they get too long and affect performance, a new one is opened and the old is closed). But if we would make it even and lump all the comments in one thread, I can already bet that you had a fairly similar result as you see on the Slymepit. There would be some other topics, interrupted by swearing and insults, discussion, a video that gets shared and so on. The Slymepit is just a lot more fun, by orders of magnitute, and more diverse.

Much more could be said about the situation, and it is a bit of a shame that I know already that you actually don’t want to know, as you are more like religious people who are deeply afraid that your assumptions may be disturbed. Like the bollocks that the slymepit isn’t “for” something and there was an issue. Only logically challenged people and their claqueurs think that.

For someone who dwells on FOX all the time, other sources of information must be terrifying. In case you want to understand the situation a little and you are too scared to ask, you may want to check out “Convergence Culture” by Henry Jenkins (2006) which contains a lot about bottom-up communities (such as the Slymepit), but in the context of media corportations and their struggle to keep control over their transmedia franchises. As a bonus, it’s worth the read for everyone who has an interest in pop culture. But it must be for you like asking Evangelicas to read the God Delusion.

Finally, I actually not sure if it’s a good idea to tell you, but I wrote an article that also contains things on misogyny and anti-semitism (in context of witches), where you can check out how your fantastic claims on “us” Slymepitters hold up with reality (you’ll find the link if you want to).

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tapir wrote:She's a nutcase.
I can manifest atoms and soon also larger objects, and am learning to gain back my abilities and knowledge as I had prior to my incarnation. On my home world, we do not eat solid foods, our bodies are manifested in ways that I am learning to now apply to my human being, and go periods without eating or drinking, gaining incredible health and bodily rejuvenation. I am an alien manifestation. I am here for you, when ever you need to have contact. I can let you meet my alien contacts, they will gladly show you spaceships (UFOs) if we go together. I can heal any illness or bodily discomfort that you might have. Rejuvenation is here for you. Any science you ask for, is yours. We are here for you. Much love, Alenara, and the people of Telmaar.
So, did PZ bring her with him after his participation in WooCon?

JAB

Post by JAB »

Pitchguest wrote:(You are never going to believe she said this) Carrie Poppy "Great point! I also visited the World Trade Center once and you know what? IT WAS THERE."

What??
Hey Carrie.. Fuck off for using the tragedy of 9-11 in an argument. As someone who had a family member die there and had to get across the border to drive dental records and a used toothbrush (dna) down to nyc to get in line at the armories to fill out the missing persons report in the days that followed... a big fuck you Carrie.

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

I can manifest atoms and soon also larger objects, and am learning to gain back my abilities and knowledge as I had prior to my incarnation. On my home world, we do not eat solid foods, our bodies are manifested in ways that I am learning to now apply to my human being, and go periods without eating or drinking, gaining incredible health and bodily rejuvenation.
My body even manifests methane. I didn't know I was from Sweden.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

She's a horse from outer space.
I Am Arcturian

I am Arcturian. A Star Person, Starseed, Incarnate. Being something others are not. Hooves instead of feet. I hold on to the longing of a Star. The glimmer of Light that never fades.

But to be less cryptic, or perhaps poetic, about it. There are many things to tell you about the Arcturians. We are an old, ancient civilization, although we have reached such high depths of advanced civilization that there is no time, for us. For we see all of time, in the present, past, and upcoming, all at once. The time is an illusion, in the human mind.
http://equinebreatharian.blogspot.co.uk ... urian.html

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tapir wrote:She's a horse from outer space.
I Am Arcturian

I am Arcturian. A Star Person, Starseed, Incarnate. Being something others are not. Hooves instead of feet. I hold on to the longing of a Star. The glimmer of Light that never fades.

But to be less cryptic, or perhaps poetic, about it. There are many things to tell you about the Arcturians. We are an old, ancient civilization, although we have reached such high depths of advanced civilization that there is no time, for us. For we see all of time, in the present, past, and upcoming, all at once. The time is an illusion, in the human mind.
Greta's Unicorn Porn fanfic surely is being influential to someone, it seems. Good to know. NOT.

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

I Am Arcturian
Wait! So, I am from Mars...
Hooves instead of feet.
Worst gf for shoe shopping.
there is no time, for us. For we see all of time, in the present, past, and upcoming, all at once. The time is an illusion, in the human mind.
Especially, when shoe shopping.
Just saying!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

windy wrote:
Aneris wrote:A Halloween reminder about the #MillionMaskMarch! The march happens on the 5th of November around the globe in many big cities.

I like the biodegradable pumpkin version, but I really can't take those Guy Fawkes-masks seriously as an "antiestablishment" protest...

link.
Sorry windy, but you cannot bring up the Guy Fawkes 'Anonymous' masks withouth mentioning the fact that some of us are unable to wear them due to the extreme lack of anonymity they confer on us.
Yes, a lot of people can wear the mask and you'd never guess who is beneath it.

But not everyone has such high levels of 'anonymous privilege'. :snooty:

http://i.imgur.com/5T5tDmD.jpg

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Where did they get those V for Vacula masks?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John Greg wrote:I know it's been asked before, but with charging users on FfTB, what will they do when they want to ban someone who has actually paid upfront for a one year subscription? Refunds? Somehow I doubt it, but it is an interesting question.
Oh you just put in the terms that user agrees to submit to moderation, then you redact the fuck out of any dissent as usual. Otherwise, he'll ya, I'd sign up just to bug 'em!

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

I Am Arcturian

cx6k0.jpg
(99.72 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

windy wrote:

link.
That's fair criticism but it is also a bit of a trick. Since our whole culture is built on stuff like that, not just some lousy mask. As the saying goes, perfect is the enemy of good. It would mean that people who like to have some change, and who are for humanist values (which they are), would have to lead a completely autarchic live to sidestep this problem, which is very difficult and would probably render the such a movement fairly moot. Can you use computers? Since their parts are also made by poor workers and so on.

@Strawkins :dance:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Strawkins - why isn't Vacula wearing a V mask in those pics?

@Aneris - You brought up Wowbagger's 'Die in a fire' thing again. He hates it when people do that. Splendid!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Southern wrote:
I Am Arcturian

Greta's Unicorn Porn fanfic surely is being influential to someone, it seems. Good to know. NOT.
It does sort of explain Jen McCreight.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Following the Latest Ophie 'they're harassing me' drama. Kudos to Brive for staying so polite and on topic in the face of insults & irrational spew. And Steers --wow, you made all the right points in just the right amount of words. So of course they insulted your character and writing style.

Aneris also nails it, but good luck getting thru mod.

If I can get my computer ruining again this weekend, I may attempt to weigh in.

Oh, and LOL, one of those FtB numb-nuts thought "I want to fuck Service Dog" referred to bestiality!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/UpWBSQf.jpg

The 'V for Vacula' masks are now in production - just in time for Skepticon!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/UpWBSQf.jpg

This needs to become a thing.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Pitchguest wrote:

Haha

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

justinvacula wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

Haha
No, seriously. It needs to be THE thing at Skeptic conferences.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Aneris wrote:I've posted my comment at Ophelia's, and it went into moderation (probably first time commenter protection). In any case, and for your interest:
Aneris wrote:When I’m asked why I participate somewhere, I would highlight aspects I found interesting. When I am asked why I do <b>not</b> participate, I would point out why it isn’t worthwhile for me. Positive aspects and negative aspects may refer to completely different things, and then people talk past each other. This is categorical thinking which gets apparently overlooked.

In practice, the things you feel are negative aren’t (necessarily) the things others find interesting. Regarding the Slymepit, I would place some high confidence that this the case for most people. You are quite correct, making crude comments about people isn’t motivating anyone for long. But if you know that already, why do you assume it is the case? If you aren’t understanding it, why do you search for extreme and extremer explanations, instead of the more likely ones?

My observation is that on this side of the fence, there is an extremely distorted image of what that obscure forum is about. Don’t worry, I won’t praise it and have no ambition to recruit people, but you are, frankly, getting it mostly wrong. There is a grain of truth in your perception, but it is widely different than what you think it is.

As a matter of fact, I don’t like these insults either. And I don’t have to. But I see that insults aren’t unusual in comment sections, and this is something I learned mainly from the tone on Pharyngula and FTB in general, which I always perceived as over the top extreme. I am one of those people who prefer less insults and don’t use them myself, certainly never used slurs. But you have a rationalisation scheme for that as well – it’s the dreaded “civility” faction that allegedly denies tormented souls their justified anger. Not only are your views typically widely inconsistent, they also don’t add up in the proper context.

Using your very assumptions, I could pull out articles on – say Thunderf00t – from a year ago, half a year ago, and from recently and then maintain, as you do, that you folks were obsessed with Thunderf00t. Since the Slymepit is not an equivlanent of FOX news, but provides links and screenshots all the time, and not just distorted opinions, I know that you aren’t always occupied with Thunderf00t.

When it comes to the type of insults, I’d rather have Welch’s insults levelled against me than get the type of comments Mr. “Die in a Fire” Wowbagger liked to use (this clearly morally superior individual posted here on 38). Likewise, when bloggers here open hunting season on someone, something you can be proud of having popularized, there are easily hundreds of comments of insults, mockery and expressions of hatred – apparently no problem. The only thing that works for you is that your place is more discrete by using article structures, whereas the Slymepit is one stream-of-conciousness meta comment thread (when they get too long and affect performance, a new one is opened and the old is closed). But if we would make it even and lump all the comments in one thread, I can already bet that you had a fairly similar result as you see on the Slymepit. There would be some other topics, interrupted by swearing and insults, discussion, a video that gets shared and so on. The Slymepit is just a lot more fun, by orders of magnitute, and more diverse.

Much more could be said about the situation, and it is a bit of a shame that I know already that you actually don’t want to know, as you are more like religious people who are deeply afraid that your assumptions may be disturbed. Like the bollocks that the slymepit isn’t “for” something and there was an issue. Only logically challenged people and their claqueurs think that.

For someone who dwells on FOX all the time, other sources of information must be terrifying. In case you want to understand the situation a little and you are too scared to ask, you may want to check out “Convergence Culture” by Henry Jenkins (2006) which contains a lot about bottom-up communities (such as the Slymepit), but in the context of media corportations and their struggle to keep control over their transmedia franchises. As a bonus, it’s worth the read for everyone who has an interest in pop culture. But it must be for you like asking Evangelicas to read the God Delusion.

Finally, I actually not sure if it’s a good idea to tell you, but I wrote an article that also contains things on misogyny and anti-semitism (in context of witches), where you can check out how your fantastic claims on “us” Slymepitters hold up with reality (you’ll find the link if you want to).
But a Pitter called her ugly and Vacula lied about her (exactly what the lie was supposed to be is a bit of a mystery), so you can't possibly have anything valid to say or be sincere about it. Ophe's worst nightmare is a Pitter making sense on her turf.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I wonder if this rather tame comment will make it past moderation on Ophies "they called me ugly" post.
abear says:
November 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Raging Bee; Were you joking when you wrote this?

" Look at the insults cited in this OP. Insults like that have been coming from the ‘pit for years, with no equivalent insults from any FtB. Take your stale old phony-equivalency argument and shove it back where it came from. Junior-high-school name-calling and body-part jokes are NOT the equal of, say, me calling you an idiot."

Calling people pricks. assholes, and Marc Lepines (hateful mass murderers) as PZ has done is so much more tasteful than calling someone ugly?
I could give you plenty more examples and worse from the bloggers and commenters at FTB.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Tapir wrote:She's a nutcase.
Manifesting atoms oooo scary. As a Terran I can break down molecules into atoms and create new complex molecules that didn't exist. Watch as I turn this ethanol into uric acid, ATP and other molecules.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I wonder if this rather tame comment will make it past moderation on Ophies "they called me ugly" post.
abear says:
November 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Raging Bee; Were you joking when you wrote this?

" Look at the insults cited in this OP. Insults like that have been coming from the ‘pit for years, with no equivalent insults from any FtB. Take your stale old phony-equivalency argument and shove it back where it came from. Junior-high-school name-calling and body-part jokes are NOT the equal of, say, me calling you an idiot."

Calling people pricks. assholes, and Marc Lepines (hateful mass murderers) as PZ has done is so much more tasteful than calling someone ugly?
I could give you plenty more examples and worse from the bloggers and commenters at FTB.
If you want a selection of FTB insults gathered from the pharyngula regulars then the following lis, copied from the skepsheik site, is a good start:
1. “I am going to personally see to it that an especially rotten and dribbly dead porcupine is rammed so far up their rectum that they are picking bits of it out of their teeth for the foreseeable future.”

2. “Fuck ‘em with decayed porcupines and red hot pokers! I’m drunk and I’m priviledged and I’m human thus fallible all hell but fuck those douchcanoes and make it hurt!”

3. “the porcupines are still located to the left of the door as you leave. Grab on. Shove it where it will do the most good (to the entire world), and then go die in a fire. Slowly.”

4. “stick a decaying porcupine dipped in hot tar and glass shards up his pustule-covered arse sideways, slowly.”

5. “Take your fucking sympathies for predators and shove them up your ass and chase them with a dead, rotting porcupine that’s been marinating in capsaicin.”

6. “You are fucking tiresome and I wish you would shove a rotting porcupine up your ass.”

7. “May a necrotic porcupine fester, unremovable in your bowels.”

8. ” He should be pounding so many decaying porcupines up his asshole that quills start coming out of his ears.”

9. “surlyramics made me a custom necklace with a totally cute porcupine and the word “insert” underneath it. I get compliments on it every time I wear it (without even any questions about why the word “insert” is under the porcupine).”

10. “Surly Amy makes a lovely porcupine necklace now. It’s adorable, and has a one word label: “insert”.

That last quote was from PZ Myers himself, promoting the business of one of his friends who was actually selling necklaces featuring the rape threat imagery.

Not that the imagery is confined to brutal bodily violation using porcupines. According to one popular commenter the violation is merely a means to an end.

“You go fuck yourself. Get something heavy and sharp. Die whilst doing it, if possible.” – AnthonyK
AnthonyK?
:think:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I am going to try and post this comment at Ophie's joint, but she has such a hate-on for me that I really doubt she will allow it through. I know it's long, but well, Steersman!
Ophelia, I know you really really hate me, but I might as well try. After all, it is a free 'net ... right? And, er, Freeze Peach!

In regard to comments like Welch's, and similar comments found at the Pit, one of the flaws in characterizing those comments as sexist and/or misogynistic is that the intent and focus of the comment is not specifically directed at Ophelia (or other women's) sex, gender, etc., or a body or class of people. It is usually directed at an indivdual's personality and behaviour, i.e., "I wouldn't fuck so-and-so because they are such an unpleasant person" -- a la Zappa's "Ugliest Part of Your Body" theme.

Yes, such comments often use sex/gender as a target, in part because that's a highly effective focus; in part because it's a terribly easy way to rile you folks up. That does not make them sexist or misogynistic; it makes them specifically anti-individual person, as Anthony K spells out correctly when he says (http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-773224):
What we eschew, as I understand, are insults that serve to further stigmatize entire groups that have been systemically stigmatized against. “Go die in a fire” is an assholish thing to say, but really, it’s a specific insult used against a specific person, not a whole class.
Which is quite precisley the same thing we have going on at the Pit, most of the time.

Now, I am not saying intent is magic, but it is far more important than you all give it credit for when the intent goes against your political agenda.

And, in light of that, it really must be noted that when the FTB side of the divide argues pro-intent, which some of you do, from time to time, then somehow intent does become magic.

Ophelia said (http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-772311):
Steersman @ 61 – jesus god, how many times do I have to say this before it sinks in? That comment at RDF that went something like, “Sexist epithets are a bad thing, you pricks” – the contradiction was INTENTIONAL. I was making a self-deprecating JOKE.
I have to tentatively agree with that. There are many folks, on both sides of the divide, who take comments designed as satire or irony and try to present them as intentional slurs. In regards the Pit, the vast majority of such comments are specifically designed and intended as both satire and irony, and are almost always directed at an individual, not a body or class of people; on the FTB side, I'm not so sure.

Additionally, many, many folk at FTB intentionally misframe such Pit comments as justification for labelling all Pit people as sexist, misogynistic, rape-enabling, anti-feminist, MRA/MRM, haters who refuse to see women as people. And really folks, that's just silly.

See, Ophelia, if you are going to argue the "it was only a joke" defense, which I think is often a fair defence, then it is only fair and just to give the same allowance to the other side of the divide.

Gordon Willis said (http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-772923):
What I cannot for the life of me understand is why they should bond around trying to hurt other people.
Because the primary intent, and where most of the so-called bonding occurs, is not around hurting people; it is around the satirizing, highlighting of hypocrisy and deceit, the double standards, and so on. Unfortunately, some people are probably going to be hurt along the way. Another problem is that a lot of the supposed hurt is almost certainly crocodile tears shed to promote a political agenda.

Well, I don't know if this will get through, but I gotta give it the ol' college try.
:whistle:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Well, I see it did not even go into moderation, so I guess I am on permaban at Free Speech Ophie's joint.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: But a Pitter called her ugly and Vacula lied about her (exactly what the lie was supposed to be is a bit of a mystery), so you can't possibly have anything valid to say or be sincere about it. Ophe's worst nightmare is a Pitter making sense on her turf.
Next time, I'll just borrow from her BFF Rebitchka's Book of Insults and call her a loser neckbearded basement dweller virgin. I supposed that would be acceptable.

Southern

Post by Southern »

John Greg wrote:Well, I see it did not even go into moderation, so I guess I am on permaban at Free Speech Ophie's joint.
What a shock.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

John Greg wrote:I am going to try and post this comment at Ophie's joint, but she has such a hate-on for me that I really doubt she will allow it through. I know it's long, but well, Steersman!
Ophelia, I know you really really hate me, but I might as well try. After all, it is a free 'net ... right? And, er, Freeze Peach!

In regard to comments like Welch's, and similar comments found at the Pit, one of the flaws in characterizing those comments as sexist and/or misogynistic is that the intent and focus of the comment is not specifically directed at Ophelia (or other women's) sex, gender, etc., or a body or class of people. It is usually directed at an indivdual's personality and behaviour, i.e., "I wouldn't fuck so-and-so because they are such an unpleasant person" -- a la Zappa's "Ugliest Part of Your Body" theme.

Yes, such comments often use sex/gender as a target, in part because that's a highly effective focus; in part because it's a terribly easy way to rile you folks up. That does not make them sexist or misogynistic; it makes them specifically anti-individual person, as Anthony K spells out correctly when he says (http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-773224):
What we eschew, as I understand, are insults that serve to further stigmatize entire groups that have been systemically stigmatized against. “Go die in a fire” is an assholish thing to say, but really, it’s a specific insult used against a specific person, not a whole class.
Which is quite precisley the same thing we have going on at the Pit, most of the time.

Now, I am not saying intent is magic, but it is far more important than you all give it credit for when the intent goes against your political agenda.

And, in light of that, it really must be noted that when the FTB side of the divide argues pro-intent, which some of you do, from time to time, then somehow intent does become magic.

Ophelia said (http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-772311):
Steersman @ 61 – jesus god, how many times do I have to say this before it sinks in? That comment at RDF that went something like, “Sexist epithets are a bad thing, you pricks” – the contradiction was INTENTIONAL. I was making a self-deprecating JOKE.
I have to tentatively agree with that. There are many folks, on both sides of the divide, who take comments designed as satire or irony and try to present them as intentional slurs. In regards the Pit, the vast majority of such comments are specifically designed and intended as both satire and irony, and are almost always directed at an individual, not a body or class of people; on the FTB side, I'm not so sure.

Additionally, many, many folk at FTB intentionally misframe such Pit comments as justification for labelling all Pit people as sexist, misogynistic, rape-enabling, anti-feminist, MRA/MRM, haters who refuse to see women as people. And really folks, that's just silly.

See, Ophelia, if you are going to argue the "it was only a joke" defense, which I think is often a fair defence, then it is only fair and just to give the same allowance to the other side of the divide.

Gordon Willis said (http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-772923):
What I cannot for the life of me understand is why they should bond around trying to hurt other people.
Because the primary intent, and where most of the so-called bonding occurs, is not around hurting people; it is around the satirizing, highlighting of hypocrisy and deceit, the double standards, and so on. Unfortunately, some people are probably going to be hurt along the way. Another problem is that a lot of the supposed hurt is almost certainly crocodile tears shed to promote a political agenda.

Well, I don't know if this will get through, but I gotta give it the ol' college try.
:whistle:
My experience of Ophelia is that she knows very well that there is nuance involved and that only a small fraction of the people here engage in the kind of insults that are based purely on appearance.
She also knows that there are plenty of people on her side that do similar, or at least engage in the same playground level of insults.
But...
She thinks one side is morally superior (the side that promotes - at least in terms of lip service - feminism.)
That is enough for her to paint the other side as inherently evil.

Their arguments against the slymepit generally come down to two points.

1. People here make slurs against all women (for example by using the word cunt as an insult towards a woman.)

2. Even if 95% of the members here never use the word 'cunt', they are condoning its use by posting on the same site as the people that do use it.

Well, we risk another spin of Groundcunt day by going over the argument that the insults cunt or twat are used here to insult individuals rather than an entire gender. It is pointless arguing this with them - they behave like Ray Comfort when presented with a fossil of a transitional species.

As for the fact that we (the 95% who don't use cunt as an insult) are posting on the same site as those who DO use it as an insult, well, that is true. But it is also true that we post on more than one site with the same people. For example we might also post on twitter, like those cunting insulters.
Should we avoid posting on the slymepit because of the 5%?
And should we also avoid posting on twitter?

The slymepit is not a site with a rigid philosophy. It is an ongoing record of the divisions between skeptical atheists and those who have abandoned skepticism - and it is widely recognized as such, hence the constant monitoring of new posts by both supporters and detractors.

Anyway, that's far too much respect given to their argument.
They are greedy power-hungry third raters, desperate to hold onto the limited monopoly they've achieved on the conference circuit.
There's not a single one of them that could survive in an open debate against real skeptics. And they know it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Steersman wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Christ, just imagine for some reason finding yourself having to have a conversation with Ophelia Benson. That smugly condescending face and tone of voice, the nervous feeling that anything you say may be twisted into a personal insult or *ist comment, the restraining of anger that you are being "splained" to by a rich old white person. But perhaps worst, the musty smell of cobwebs and cockroaches wafting upwards from her vagina.

Ugh.
You do seem to have a bit of an obsession about her genitalia. And a predilection for the cheap shots, for hitting below the belt. One might wonder the reasons for that ....
<snip>
Steersman, just noticed that you are active and posting. Reminder: please provide some quotes which show my "obsession with [Ophelia Benson's] genitalia".

Or, alternatively, admit that you're a lying cunt who believes in "throw enough mud and some will stick".

Either one is fine for me.
Ok, I’ll concede that there isn’t any evidence of an “obsession with [Ophelia Benson’s] genitalia” on your part other than that recent “cobwebs and cockroaches” comment. While I, of course, didn’t peruse all 1392 comments of yours, I did check for the use of such terms and related ones in conjunction with her last name, and the most I could find that was 2 or 3 cases of you calling her a cunt. Which I'm actually beginning to be somewhat sympathetic to.

However, I’ll still stand on the argument that the “cobwebs” comment at least qualifies as a rather cheap shot.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

:lol: :clap:

Reminds me of "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan ....

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
But he didn’t – the bulk of his rant was apparently her “fuckability”. Seems to me that “ugly on the inside” tends – at least for a very large percentage of men – to have limited relevance to that question. “Some of us all of the time; all of us some of the time”.
Steerso, just be honest. When it comes to me you have a blind spot. I could write 65 pages with citations, and you'd still miss the point because you don't like me.

Stop pretending.
That’s a bit of a hoot - "How come you don't love me no more?" While I’m not particularly keen to have sex with you, although if the alternative was to be thrown in a pit of poisonous spiders then I at least might reconsider, I still think you’re generally an ok guy. You certainly seem to have a fairly impressive command of some “mad Internet skillz”, and you apparently have a published book or two on the topics under your belt, and I rather think you make some significant sense on a number of issues. And you certainly do have a flair for some “colourful” metaphors or images.

However, it also seems that you periodically have your thumb on the scales, and tend to react more from emotion than from reason and logic – that comment above, and the recent one about Benson being cases in point.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I have legally-obtained, photographic evidence of a JREF employee repeatedly trivializing
the serious issue of women being objectified and sexualized in elevators.

http://vgirlsvguys.net/sites/vgirlsvguy ... s/CP_3.jpg
http://vgirlsvguys.net/sites/vgirlsvguy ... s/CP_1.jpg
http://vgirlsvguys.net/sites/vgirlsvguy ... s/CP_2.jpg

These misogynistickal incidents did not take place at Elevator Bank #3 in the Casino Hotel Main Lobby at TAM 2012, nor in Dublin in 2011, but they are clear proof that women are not safe at the upcoming Women In Secularism 5 conference, to be held poolside at SurlyAmy's apartment complex at the Compton Swap Meet in sunny South Central Los Angeles in 2017.

Carrie Poppy is blatantly fetishizing the constricting moral corsetry of Victorian England, a backwards mindset. (Also, you've got the red corset on backwards, doll.) These images normalize the same prudery which backfired so spectacularly in the recent Stephanie Zvan debacle.

No, I'm not referring to FEMA re-naming Minnesota 'the Land Of Twenty-Thousand Lakes,' due to splash damage, after Stephanie Zvan 'backfired' in her bathtub. (Although, Zvan is indeed a big fat fatty, and therefore not a human being. I wouldn't fuck her cavernous cunt, even with Ophelia Benson's dick.)

Rather, I am referring to the debacle in which Stephanie Zvan blabbed to the world about Christie Wilcox seemingly ambushing Brian Switek with an uninvited kiss. Meddlesome Zvan rushed to judgement, claiming Wilcox had assaulted Switek. Yet Wilcox had actually misread Brian Switek's "inappropriate" "sexual suggestions" and "consensual" "flirtatious relationship" with Wilcox, for which Switek was "to blame".
[All quotes are Brian Cunt Tease Switek's own words. http://www.freezepage.com/1382612490TSMUPUBSHF ]

In light of Zvan's back-waddling from her false accusation of serial sexual assault and harassment; DJ Grothe is revealed to be wise-- for his unwillingness to ban a speaker based on Grothe having witnessed, as an uninvolved third-party, some sort of a grope. (Allegedly, allegedly, and allegedly.) Until a victim actually complains, it is presumptuous for any buttinsky to second-guess the true degree of consensuality, known only to the groper and gropee. 'But... I'm a feminist!' is not a deputy's tin star.

Yet Carrie Poppy STILL hasn't gotten Zvan's memo about the perils of uninvited busybody snooping, in other people's private business.
(Probably because Zvan deleted the memo so soon after posting it.)

Potential-rapist James "Oolon" Billingham, and suspected COINTELPRO disinformation agent on the CIA payroll Aratina Cage-- scratch their testosterone-poisoned heads, confounded by what sustains Slymepitters' animosity toward Social Justice vigilanteeism. Oolon and Aratina are like the heroic white knights of the KKK (who defined themselves by the racism they were FOR), whereas the SlymePit are like those dastardly Freedom Riders (who stood for nothing, only defining themselves as AGAINST racism). So clearly A+ holds the moral high ground. Which makes it easier for them to throw the rope over a high tree branch. {I cooould point to Zvan's erroneous lynching of Christie Wilcox to explain why I'm such a party-pooper against trial-by-angry-mob, but this would only lead to nitpicking about whether the term "racist" can really be applied to the Klan given that their loss of the Civil War meant they lacked Institutional Power... a crucial ingredient of racism.}

PZ Myers--whose daughter's mouth was so full of fucked-up teeth (as useless as a shark's!) that she had to have six of 'em removed when she got braces-- asks, "where is the interesting debate" in comments like this one. To which I say read your own SciBlogs entry, April 21, 2007. Where you sneer at "accommodationists" who say "but feminists weren’t as rude as those atheists."

Instead, you cheer feminists-- for literally "breaking windows", and committing literal "arson". "Maybe we need to get more outraged and outrageous," you concluded. http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007 ... misbehave/ That all sounds childish and counterproductive to me. I'm content to just freeze peach at you. All of you.

Except for Wowbagger. In response to your anti-semite Jew Joke, I have prepared a special, visual Shayetet 13 edition Navy Seal CopyPasta, just for you...
"Document" this one, Ophie!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Ironically, I think Carrie Poppy, the more loopy and unstable she behaves, makes me agree with her central point - that DJ Grothe has acted in a way that makes him unsuitable as head of the JREF.

He hired her as communications director of the JREF!

If that's not a reason to question his judgement, then nothing is.
History is full of examples of confident / ignorant people thinking they can control and make use of ideologically different people. The classic Godwin example of course is Von Papen in 1933. I'm sure DJ thought she could give JREF hipster SJ cred within his framework.

Also on what basis should we expect DJ to be an effective manager, administrator. He is also probably a good example of the Peter Principle.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, my comment that Ophelia was referring to in her recent egregiously dishonest comment, and that she deemed “stupid and wrong, as well as verbose and affected”:
Steersman wrote: Ophelia:

Considering that you’ve apparently argued that “leaving out emotion” is “dead wrong”, one might have thought you might have been a little more sympathetic to the rather implicit idea that that might have been what motivated Welch’s somewhat “childish” outburst.

However, while I might emphasize that I only said that he provided “evidence that his comments suggests” some justification, and not that there was in fact such justification, I might point you to some later comments (1) of his which at least suggests some reason or emotion behind that response:
Welch wrote:She started this shit with her "Fuck you Miranda" and the rest of her passive aggressive snipery.
While much of that somewhat “childish” – on both sides – “he said, she said” was before my time, it seems to me that the best alternatives are either to say “a pox on both your houses”, or to suggest that there might be some justification on both sides – as seems typical in such cases. However, for a number of reasons, my impression is that, as suggested in the previous comment of mine, a very significant and problematic contributor has been that FreethoughtBlogs and their fellow-travelers have been, as you yourself suggested, rather dogmatic and self-righteous – a direct manifestation of which has been their narrow – not to say narrow-minded – moderation policies. You might want to take a gander at this Edge article (2) on “Internet Silos”.

----
1) “_http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=139140#p139140”;
2) “_http://www.edge.org/response-detail/23777”;
Yes, sexist epithets are a bad thing – you ignorant twat. But the point, which seems rather too acute for the obtuse who frequent and post on FftB, is that not every use of such epithets – including, analogously, supposedly racist ones – qualifies as sexist. You wouldn’t recognize “sexist” if you fell over it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote:

:lol: :clap:

Reminds me of "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan ....
Though I would venture - if I may be so bold - that it would be somewhat more remniscent of the noted magic-lantern show, 'V for Vendetta', were one somewhat more 'hip' and 'with it, daddy-o', as I am. And which, furthermore, you so pertinently fail to be.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

katamari Damassi wrote:JREF and CFI really need to perform some kind of psychiatric evaluation before they hire people into leadership positions. That histrionic types like Poppie and Smelody have/had paying positions at these orgs is discouraging. How effective is something like the Minnesota Multiphasic profile at predicting narcissistic shit stirrers? Is it legal for an employer to administer one?
I think there's something about social justice and all connected areas (which includes debunking of superstitions, because many view this as a SJW issue for the public good) that draws in the crazies. Most notably the NPD, HPD and borderline personality types. I have heard the victim narrative used by atheists, skeptics and debunkers.

And no, enforcing the legal separation of church and state is not an oppression narrative. It benefits everyone to keep those lines drawn between government and personal belief.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:
But he didn’t – the bulk of his rant was apparently her “fuckability”. Seems to me that “ugly on the inside” tends – at least for a very large percentage of men – to have limited relevance to that question. “Some of us all of the time; all of us some of the time”.
Steerso, just be honest. When it comes to me you have a blind spot. I could write 65 pages with citations, and you'd still miss the point because you don't like me.

Stop pretending.
That’s a bit of a hoot - "How come you don't love me no more?" While I’m not particularly keen to have sex with you, although if the alternative was to be thrown in a pit of poisonous spiders then I at least might reconsider, I still think you’re generally an ok guy. You certainly seem to have a fairly impressive command of some “mad Internet skillz”, and you apparently have a published book or two on the topics under your belt, and I rather think you make some significant sense on a number of issues. And you certainly do have a flair for some “colourful” metaphors or images.

However, it also seems that you periodically have your thumb on the scales, and tend to react more from emotion than from reason and logic – that comment above, and the recent one about Benson being cases in point.

Funny how out of the people commenting on my thing, you're pretty much the only one to miss the point.

Also, while my comments do contain *emotion*, because I think there's a place for honest feeling in things, there is a difference between that and what you accuse me of. Reason and emotion are not mutually exclusive, something you'd do well to better understand.

In one of my better "Go fuck yourself Adobe" rants, I was both furious at what their shitty installer had just put me through, but simultaneously determined to make sure they understood the details of why I was mad and why their installer needed to be fixed. Comparing it to fecophile porn was just added emphasis. And makes the article more fun to read.

Here's the bit you don't get. For years. *years* mind you, IT people on both Mac OS and WIndows had *begged* adobe to fix their installers. Using your methods, dry emails full of technical points. Very reasonable.

Results? Well, they'd started thinking about fixing it, but honestly, it was a low priority. After all, the installer isn't a profit center.

Then I post a series of angry, fact and obscenity-filled rants, and as I find out later, hundreds of people/customers are forwarding them to Adobe, and devs and PMs INSIDE adobe are also forwarding them to the installer people, because evidently, for the first time, there was someone who had said what they were actually thinking and what they were thinking was

MY FUCKING GOD, WHY ARE YOU FUCKING TORTURING ME WITH THIS SHIT!!!!

All of a sudden things moved faster. Much.

As it turns out, reasons + emotion are really fucking effective. For example, which one describes a bigger problem:

"when your product is installed remotely, it attempts to open a finder window. As there's no checking for a current login context, this happens even when a user isn't logged in, thus creating a root login without any kind of password needed. A recommended solution would be to first check for a user context and not run <script lines> if one is not active."

or

"Okay, I asked nicely, and got ignored. Fine, I tried the carrot, here's the stick. What <vendor> is doing is just fucking stupid, and shows someone who never even thought to test their bullshit installer outside of "it works on my machine". Fortunately, their security fuckuppery is fixable, via cracking the installer package and disabling <script lines>. At that point, it will no longer open root finder windows at the login screen. Yes, Apple needs to fix that shit too, but while that's happening, <vendor> needs to live in the goddamned real world and test to see if a user's logged in before popping their "AIN'T WE COOL" window, and creating a massive security issue.

Tip for installer builders: TEST THAT SHIT REMOTELY, YOU FUCKING NINCOMPOOPS!"

As it turns out, I do both. The first bug report is the dry, logical one. The second one, some reasonable time later, usually after an update or two is where the claws come out.

Care to guess which one works better?

Now, the latter one almost got me punched in the mouth, BUT, unlike the months of ignoring the fuck out of my attempt to be reasonable and logical and dispassionate, I post the second one, and oh fuck things got fixed.

(It works with Apple too. It's just trickier to pull off. But a series of screecaps labled "areyoufuckingkiddingme_<number>.mp4" proves the point rather nicely. and is more interesting to watch.)

So, given what I've been taught, over and over, reinforced by lots of data from multiple sources, as it turns out, a combination of emotion and facts is far, far more effective than your "grail" of how to do things.

Given the choice between your Ben Stein or my Carlin, I know which one i'm going to go with. Also, means I don't fall asleep writing it.

The way I look at it is this: if the person is going to ignore the points because they aren't presented nice, then they're fucking stupid, and my experience dictates that they probably aren't going to pay much attention to those same points no matter how presented, because they've shown that they spend a lot of time looking for really weak reasons to ignore criticism.

if they do listen, even if they dislike the tone, then they're smarter than I thought they were, and worth giving another chance.

Either way, I get something out of it.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious to me the argument is a causation one.

Because FTB is dying
Therefore they manufacture drama to get more blog hits

PZ is seriously stupid for a university professor.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:

Stop pretending.

Also, this bit?
That’s a bit of a hoot - "How come you don't love me no more?"
Kind of proves my point about how you tend to interpret anything I write.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:FWIW, my comment that Ophelia was referring to in her recent egregiously dishonest comment, and that she deemed “stupid and wrong, as well as verbose and affected”:
Steersman wrote: Ophelia:

Considering that you’ve apparently argued that “leaving out emotion” is “dead wrong”, one might have thought you might have been a little more sympathetic to the rather implicit idea that that might have been what motivated Welch’s somewhat “childish” outburst.

However, while I might emphasize that I only said that he provided “evidence that his comments suggests” some justification, and not that there was in fact such justification, I might point you to some later comments (1) of his which at least suggests some reason or emotion behind that response:
Welch wrote:She started this shit with her "Fuck you Miranda" and the rest of her passive aggressive snipery.
While much of that somewhat “childish” – on both sides – “he said, she said” was before my time, it seems to me that the best alternatives are either to say “a pox on both your houses”, or to suggest that there might be some justification on both sides – as seems typical in such cases. However, for a number of reasons, my impression is that, as suggested in the previous comment of mine, a very significant and problematic contributor has been that FreethoughtBlogs and their fellow-travelers have been, as you yourself suggested, rather dogmatic and self-righteous – a direct manifestation of which has been their narrow – not to say narrow-minded – moderation policies. You might want to take a gander at this Edge article (2) on “Internet Silos”.

----
1) “_http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=139140#p139140”;
2) “_http://www.edge.org/response-detail/23777”;
Yes, sexist epithets are a bad thing – you ignorant twat. But the point, which seems rather too acute for the obtuse who frequent and post on FftB, is that not every use of such epithets – including, analogously, supposedly racist ones – qualifies as sexist. You wouldn’t recognize “sexist” if you fell over it.
When they yank that football away, in those brief moments before you slam back to earth, do you enjoy that feeling? I mean, it's got to be an odd melange of "I have left the earth and exist as a free-flying soul" and "GODDAMNIT, EVERY FUCKING TIME!".

I'm guessing the flying bit is way more intense for you than most.

welch

Post by welch »

James Caruthers wrote:

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious to me the argument is a causation one.

Because FTB is dying
Therefore they manufacture drama to get more blog hits

PZ is seriously stupid for a university professor.
PZ hasn't done anything different in years. I imagine he's so superannuated, he'll be dead a week before he notices.