Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
cunt

Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by cunt »

lol, i'm scared. Mykeru's going to throw a bullet at me.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Justin Fucks Up in Dublin?

Post by Lsuoma »

Don't think the split was perfect. But hey, neither is cunt.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Woo hoo, new thread.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013 ... are-jerks/

lol, Zvan trying to make JT moderate his blog to her liking, and telling everyone who doesn't kowtow to fuck off.

JT seems to have upvoted most of the comments (so far) except Zvan's.

:popcorn:

Re people picking up on what they think is a claim that SocraticGadfly has been harassing Zvan for 2.5 yrs - anyone know of any truth to that? I find one prior mention of her on his blog from last year (also the "married" thing) but that's it.

Southern

Post by Southern »

[quote"Steffuny"]I don’t want a blog post. I don’t want more words. I want the comment section in which I am now being abused by several people from the slime pit because I objected to the abuse of one person being allowed to stand to be dealt with. I’m done with words. I’m done with disclaimers. I want action.[/quote]

Yeah, you want action... but you'll have to rape someone to fullfill your dream, Zvanatee.

And fuck the ofended fee-fees. I'm a Third World citizen, so all those First World fuckers can shut up and listen.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Lsuoma wrote:Don't think the split was perfect. But hey, neither is cunt.
One thing Cunt can do is wind up aged ex-forces Americans suffering from an untreated abundance of testosterone and bullets.

Oh yes, this he can certainly do. If Mykerus returns after this flounce, I want my subscription money back.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

PeeZus Christ, they do suffer for the social justice cause!

Also, Greágol is awesome. :mrgreen:

Southern

Post by Southern »

BarnOwl wrote: PeeZus Christ, they do suffer for the social justice cause!

Yeah, those who so science, please turn the life of this useless sack of lard better. Pretty please.

Southern

Post by Southern »

cunt wrote:Here's a good one from Andrews favourite website. Did you know that 13 year olds can be slutbag whores too? Most of them probably are. Did you know that if you find a de-motivational poster that somebody has photoshopped the words "jailbait" into that the girl is to blame? Well, let's get Judgy on these bitches.

http://judgybitch.com/2013/05/13/lolita ... new-thing/
Hey, haven't you read that paper from that Russian guy, Nabokov or something? It's all true, those young whores are evil. Poor ingenuos 30+ year-old men.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Wonderist wrote:
treestump wrote:well, here's the official Skepticon annoucement. Feel free to post comments on it. I put the second comment on there, no one else seems to be commenting. I think these people are mad to fall over themselves to support FTB / Skepchick.
http://skepticon.org/skepticon-says-goo ... a-sponsor/
Wow, whoever Yoryor is: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well fucking done!
D'oh! I totally missed the boat on that: you were Yoryor. Duh, sorry! But well fucking done indeed, treestump!

BTW, somebody please tell me this thread title is not serious. I'm still a few pages behind, so haven't heard the latest. The conference is this coming weekend, right? He hasn't had a chance to fuck up yet, right? :pray: (We could use a 'crosses fingers' emoticon; praying just seems wrong, not that crossing ones fingers is much better, lol)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Haha! Both Meyers and Opheliar bitching about their flights not being perfect. Can someone pop over to A+Theism and alert Setar of this grave social injustice being perpetrated against middle class white people? I bet if Crommunist was on one of those flights, there'd be no problem (well, subsequent to him being shifted around the cabin to find the sweet spot where his grotesquely fat ass didn't interfere with the flight physics).

welch

Post by welch »

Just in case Steffy throws an epic enough fit so that JT starts deleting stuff, my comment on her rather amazing meltdown:
Oh bless your heart, you're pulling out the "big guns" now? "HE'S LETTING IT BECOME A SLIMMMMMMME PIT" What's next, the Marc Lepine analogy? You should wait on that one, because shooting your wad too soon never works out well.

You're not being harassed, it's just that unlike on sites where you control the delete button, no one is rolling over and showing you their throat because The Queen Is Not Amused. That's not harassment. It's commenting on a site you are in no way, shape, nor form compelled to read or even acknowledge.

Here's the trick, (and I am somewhat impressed that I must explain this to a supposedly grown adult. Well, more de- than im-, but definitely pressed: If a comment thread isn't going the way you like, don't engage with it, don't subscribe to it, don't read it.

You know, do that thing you tell all the eeeeeeevil pitters who are so totes upset about things said at FTB:

"Don't like it? don't read it"

Funny how it's such good advice you cannot help but ignore it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Awwww, poor Ophelia. While millions are out of work, white, privileged middle class twerp Benson moans about her seating arrangements. What's the betting she's in first class - she wouldn't want to be sitting next to any smelly people now, would she?
Hahahahahahahahaha!! Fuck you, Ophelia!

When *I* fly to Amsterdam (presumably from Seattle on Delta), *I'm* flying business class.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!

Oh, by the way, you childish tantrum is likely as close to a fuck as you're ever going to get, even in a Dublin lift...

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Skep tickle wrote:Woo hoo, new thread.

lol, Zvan trying to make JT moderate his blog to her liking, and telling everyone who doesn't kowtow to fuck off.

Re people picking up on what they think is a claim that SocraticGadfly has been harassing Zvan for 2.5 yrs - anyone know of any truth to that? I find one prior mention of her on his blog from last year (also the "married" thing) but that's it.
I really don't get the "no bad words about me can exist anywhere" thing. If someone is harassing you, wouldn't it be smarter not to have any contact with them instead of replying to a comment they made about you to someone else?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

JT seems to be starting to see through the cracks a wee bit. Soon to be witch of the week.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Kareem wrote:

I really don't get the "no bad words about me can exist anywhere" thing. If someone is harassing you, wouldn't it be smarter not to have any contact with them instead of replying to a comment they made about you to someone else?
It isn't *actually* about harassment (as I'm sure you're aware, just stating the obvious), it's about *silencing dissent*. Yes, to silence dissent you need to erase it from everywhere and/or make the places where it exists absolutely taboo.

As we've been saying for a while: dogmatism.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

cunt wrote:lol, i'm scared. Mykeru's going to throw a bullet at me.
Pretty sure Mykeru was just saying that he regularly contemplates suicide. The bullet was for himself.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
One thing Cunt can do is wind up aged ex-forces Americans suffering from an untreated abundance of testosterone and bullets.

Oh yes, this he can certainly do. If Mykerus returns after this flounce, I want my subscription money back.
What flounce? Saying I'm done with you and Cunt's need to be irritating (between your bouts of jerking off to loli with Opie Benson's head pasted on) doesn't a flounce make.

Do you have to turn sideways to get that ego through doorways?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Wonderist wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
treestump wrote:well, here's the official Skepticon annoucement. Feel free to post comments on it. I put the second comment on there, no one else seems to be commenting. I think these people are mad to fall over themselves to support FTB / Skepchick.
Wow, whoever Yoryor is: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well fucking done!
D'oh! I totally missed the boat on that: you were Yoryor. Duh, sorry! But well fucking done indeed, treestump!

BTW, somebody please tell me this thread title is not serious. I'm still a few pages behind, so haven't heard the latest. The conference is this coming weekend, right? He hasn't had a chance to fuck up yet, right? :pray: (We could use a 'crosses fingers' emoticon; praying just seems wrong, not that crossing ones fingers is much better, lol)
He or she did a decent job - didn't read all of that - the nesting system sucks and made my eyes water. I didn't see any comments on the apology? Did Skepticon decide that the apology was overt enough that they could beg for money from CFI again?

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Wonderist wrote:
Kareem wrote:

It isn't *actually* about harassment (as I'm sure you're aware, just stating the obvious), it's about *silencing dissent*. Yes, to silence dissent you need to erase it from everywhere and/or make the places where it exists absolutely taboo.

As we've been saying for a while: dogmatism.
Yup. You quoted my comment in the last thread (btw thanks!), but this is really what it's all about, and I'm coming to realize it.

This isn't about anti-feminism. That's what they WANT people to think, because being "anti" something is always always always framed as being negative. That's the way our brains work, at least politically. You always want to be Pro.

What this is about, and it always has been about, is about a dedicated case of anti-egalitarianism. When I used to be on the other side, I saw Zvan and her crew mention it from time to time, but it always confused me because I didn't quite understand what it was at the time. (Strangely enough it was a few links that Benson provided that started to educate me on it). Quite frankly, she's TERRIFIED of egalitarianism. She can't rebut it, without revealing the true colors of her sexist ideology. So there can be NO mention of it anywhere, and any sort of egalitarian source (I.E. here) needs to be demonized.

The reason it's always been about it, is what STARTED this whole thing. No, not Elevatorgate, but the attacks on McGraw for making what essentially is an egalitarian argument (different people want different things and we shouldn't pigeonhole and assume that all women want the same thing because they're women)...and she had to be destroyed for it. Others made egalitarian arguments and they had to be destroyed for it.

Lindsey was a lightning rod for WiS2, to be honest. Good on him for it, to be honest. There were a handful of feminist egalitarians who were speaking, who if Lindsey didn't act as the rod, they would have been blasted instead. The idea that Hoff Sommers (I recently read an article by her talking about "freedom feminism" that actually ties in VERY well with my progressive ideology) should have a speaking spot at a theoretical WiS3 was blasted by the community.

No, they're terrified, because their privilege is being threatened. Projection is a hell of a drug, after all. Look at that JT thread. Holy shit is that one massive display of privilege claiming. She wants to be treated like an untouchable queen everywhere she goes. No dissent will cross her eyes. Real equality is a cruel master/mistress. The knife cuts both ways...as it should. But some people want their cake and eat it too.

No, the tribalism inherent in identity politics is too attractive for them to give up. That's the problem, and that's where the push back should be. The A/S community needs a lot of education that anti-egalitarian feminism is NOT the only game it town when it comes to promoting real equality.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Mykeru wrote:

What flounce? Saying I'm done with you and Cunt's need to be irritating (between your bouts of jerking off to loli with Opie Benson's head pasted on) doesn't a flounce make.

Do you have to turn sideways to get that ego through doorways?
Hehe. Mykeru berating someone for an inflated ego! Welcome back, you salty old dog. I completely apologize for my comments, after Sid Vicious up there pointed out that your own head was the intended target for that bullet, not Cunt. I was wrong, I now understand, and I can very easily empathize with your feelings.

Now then, what about that big fat fraud Meyers, and his upcoming pamphlet, eh?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Mmm. You can just smell the freshness in here. Who'd you get to do the decorating Lsuoma?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Why does Opheliar think it is acceptable to appropriate another culture's linguistic quirks and treat them as throwaway shortcuts in her own writing?

http://i.imgur.com/lIbFG5q.png

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Reading that post and comments I now realise that we are legion and that we are deserving of being the scapegoat for all that is wrong in the world..

Cool.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Why does Opheliar think it is acceptable to appropriate another culture's linguistic quirks and treat them as throwaway shortcuts in her own writing?

http://i.imgur.com/lIbFG5q.png
I dont know why...

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Aneris wrote:Quick note, I forgot. That's an outline that should be questioned and challenged, and can also be sorted a bit more. I'll hope to refine it. DJ Grothe and other events not mentioned seem to fall into place, too. If not, let me know.
Older comment ^^^, one quick 'challenge': Please don't call anything they're doing 'New Humanism'. Please please do not start that meme. It would be wrong on so many levels, not least of which is that I and others would have to start a 'Gnu Humanism' to combat it. Almost kidding, but not.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Doesn't legalization of prostitution empower women*? Alot like legalization of abortion does? In that a woman* then legally has the option to make personal decisions about what she wants to do with her body, with more protections than if she were to pursue that same action (prostitution or abortion) without it being legal.

(*of course, prostitution is not limited to women; all adults would have the option to engage in it legally)

Whig

Post by Whig »

I haven't been able to afford a trip on an airplane in over ten years. Let me take your place,PZ! I'll sit through the two hours easily. I've never been to another country before and would enjoy it. I can do all your speeches, too! I'll just go on about porcupines.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Dancing around the prostitution issues rather bugs me. Although there are some feminists which support the decriminalisation of non-monogamous non-married sex as employment, feminism in general has been in opposed to prostitution, porn, or even public displays of nudity or "semi" nudity since its inception. Now to be more blunt, I cant help but notice that female dominated political groups tend to go this route. Feminists, Christian women, even high class noblewomen throughout history seemed to spend their time fussing about controlling sexuality.

The feminist idea of "helping" women in sex work is to stop them from performing sex work, even if it involves harming some prostitutes, or exposing them to harm. The end goal is to stop proliferated sexual activity, and the ends justify the means.

As if the radical feminists who influence legislation don't know that what they're doing is exposing sex workers to harm. They aren't stupid.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

For cunt and Mykeru:

[youtube]OfAul2isPfo[/youtube]

1:34. No need to thank me.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Strawkins: your Greagol, and Whistler's Ophelia, are brilliant, really, really well done. Bravo.

And as I've said before, and others have also said, watching Steffuny on JT's site is just wonderful. Proof positive what a disgusting piece of shit she is.

Way-to-go Stefunny. You are the olympic champeen of entitlement, ego, and hypocrisy: Triple Crown for teh win!

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/261927.php

Ran across this while looking something up for work. It reports a study in Nairobi; the particular form of victim-blaming taken in this study was quite effective in reducing rapes of young women (bolding added):
Rape is shockingly common in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya, where as many as one in four adolescent girls are raped each year. But a short self-defense course can dramatically reduce the girls' vulnerability to sexual assault, according to a new study from the Stanford University School of Medicine, Lucile Packard Children's Hospital and an organization called No Means No Worldwide.

"Self-defense training taught these young girls to stand up and say 'no' with confidence, and empowered them to escalate their own defense to a higher level, if necessary," said Neville Golden, MD, senior author of the new study, which is now available online on the Journal of Adolescent Health website. "To our knowledge, this is the first study to demonstrate that a self-empowerment/self-defense course can reduce the incidence of rape in adolescent girls," added Golden, who is a professor of pediatrics at Stanford and the division chief of adolescent medicine at Packard Children's. ...

The subjects of the study were 522 high school girls, ages 14 to 21, in two impoverished Nairobi slums: 402 received 12 hours of self-defense training over six weeks, as well as two-hour refresher courses at three-, six-, nine- and 10-month intervals; 120 in a comparison group received a one-hour life-skills class that is the current national standard in Kenya. Before and 10 months after the training, both groups answered anonymous questionnaires about their recent experiences of rape.

At the start of the study, nearly one in four girls reported that they had been forced them to have sex in the prior year; 90 percent of the victims knew their attackers. The study focused on rape and did not assess the entire range of behaviors classified as sexual assault under U.S. laws.

Among girls who received self-defense training, 56.4 percent used the skills they learned to fend off attackers in the subsequent 10 months. Of these girls, half used verbal skills alone, one-third started with verbal skills and added physical skills, and 17 percent used physical skills alone. Not only did total assaults drop sharply, but assaults by the two most common groups of perpetrators, boyfriends and relatives, decreased significantly. After receiving training, girls who were raped were more likely to seek help following an attack.

In contrast, among girls who had life-skills classes, the proportion who became victims of rape remained about the same.

"We were pretty stunned that the self-defense training was so effective," Sinclair said. "From the testimonials we collected, we saw that even a small girl could disable an attacker and get away, again and again."

The self-defense classes, which trained and employed local Kenyan women as instructors, were also cost-effective: providing the training cost $1.75 per student, whereas immediate after-care for rape in Kenya costs $86, a figure that does not account for long-term costs such as new HIV infections or unwanted pregnancies.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

All the bitching about flights is like some hack comedian droning on about airline food and doing it for an entire ten minute set.
It's air travel. Unless you have your own plane, it's fucked. Move along. Find some new source of oppression about which to whine - shouldn't be too hard.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

KiwiInOz wrote:

Reading that post and comments I now realise that we are legion and that we are deserving of being the scapegoat for all that is wrong in the world..

Cool.
Mmm, but we're not being blamed in that thread for everything that's gone wrong ;)

http://i.imgur.com/rLIIE5A.png?1

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Is there any way to easily follow the comments section on JT's blog? The whole thing seems like a fucking mess to me.

Notung

Post by Notung »

I find Disqus really horrible for large comment threads. Yes, I know my blog uses it. But I don't get large comment threads ;)

Whig

Post by Whig »

Skep tickle wrote:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/261927.php

Ran across this while looking something up for work. It reports a study in Nairobi; the particular form of victim-blaming taken in this study was quite effective in reducing rapes of young women (bolding added):
Rape is shockingly common in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya, where as many as one in four adolescent girls are raped each year. But a short self-defense course can dramatically reduce the girls' vulnerability to sexual assault, according to a new study from the Stanford University School of Medicine, Lucile Packard Children's Hospital and an organization called No Means No Worldwide.

"Self-defense training taught these young girls to stand up and say 'no' with confidence, and empowered them to escalate their own defense to a higher level, if necessary," said Neville Golden, MD, senior author of the new study, which is now available online on the Journal of Adolescent Health website. "To our knowledge, this is the first study to demonstrate that a self-empowerment/self-defense course can reduce the incidence of rape in adolescent girls," added Golden, who is a professor of pediatrics at Stanford and the division chief of adolescent medicine at Packard Children's. ...

The subjects of the study were 522 high school girls, ages 14 to 21, in two impoverished Nairobi slums: 402 received 12 hours of self-defense training over six weeks, as well as two-hour refresher courses at three-, six-, nine- and 10-month intervals; 120 in a comparison group received a one-hour life-skills class that is the current national standard in Kenya. Before and 10 months after the training, both groups answered anonymous questionnaires about their recent experiences of rape.

At the start of the study, nearly one in four girls reported that they had been forced them to have sex in the prior year; 90 percent of the victims knew their attackers. The study focused on rape and did not assess the entire range of behaviors classified as sexual assault under U.S. laws.

Among girls who received self-defense training, 56.4 percent used the skills they learned to fend off attackers in the subsequent 10 months. Of these girls, half used verbal skills alone, one-third started with verbal skills and added physical skills, and 17 percent used physical skills alone. Not only did total assaults drop sharply, but assaults by the two most common groups of perpetrators, boyfriends and relatives, decreased significantly. After receiving training, girls who were raped were more likely to seek help following an attack.

In contrast, among girls who had life-skills classes, the proportion who became victims of rape remained about the same.

"We were pretty stunned that the self-defense training was so effective," Sinclair said. "From the testimonials we collected, we saw that even a small girl could disable an attacker and get away, again and again."

The self-defense classes, which trained and employed local Kenyan women as instructors, were also cost-effective: providing the training cost $1.75 per student, whereas immediate after-care for rape in Kenya costs $86, a figure that does not account for long-term costs such as new HIV infections or unwanted pregnancies.
It's good to see that some training works. Kenya has been a very peaceful country but they've had some serious problems in their last two elections that have increased violence like this. I hope training can help turn things around.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Notung wrote:I find Disqus really horrible for large comment threads. Yes, I know my blog uses it. But I don't get large comment threads ;)
You know what really sucks? DMs on Twitter. I have no fucking clue when I get one.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

KiwiInOz wrote:Mmm. You can just smell the freshness in here.
It's a great smell. Like napalm in the morning.
Who'd you get to do the decorating Lsuoma?
Some gay guy probably. Those queens know how to make things look pretty.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Even more interesting how this little douche uses some incident designed by Zvan to draw away attention from creepy Greg Laden to again blame the Slymepit.
JT Eberhard Douche wrote:The harassers of women, the slymepitters, are bad people.  I have been unequivocal about this. [...] So here’s where I stand: I want us all to call out bullshit when we see it.  The harassers of women?  They’re bad people.  When I talk about alienating potential allies I have been as precise as possible in reminding people that I’m not talking about harassers and misogynists
Not dictionary precision, to be sure. Harasser of women!? Or Socratic Gadfly is which Slymepitter? And how are we all to blame for it? Even PZ has a rare moment of nuance (don't know these names, though)
PZ 'Moral Authority' Myers wrote:and I definitely include Steve Snyder among the assholes, even if his ego is so colossal that he refuses to side with the slyme, despite sharing the same attitudes
JT Eberhard Loser wrote:That they harass especially good people like Stephanie Zvan makes me loathe them all the more
Not so JT Eberhard, the intellectual fraud. Harass? How did "we" do that now? And "good people like Stephanie Zvan"!? Unbelievable.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

"The harassers of women, the slymepitters, are bad people."

Wasn't this site founded because of two women being harassed by those who now so casually toss around the harassment narrative?

Oh wait, fuck facts and shit, LOL!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

16bitheretic wrote:"The harassers of women, the slymepitters, are bad people."

Wasn't this site founded because of two women being harassed by those who now so casually toss around the harassment narrative?

Founded by a woman who supported a woman who was harrassed/shamed by another woman.

FUCK ALL THE FACTS!!!!

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

16bitheretic wrote:"The harassers of women, the slymepitters, are bad people."

Nothing a little historical airbrushing cant fix:
abe smith - Copy.jpg
(15.25 KiB) Downloaded 2756 times

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Stephie: as a present and token of good faith, in return to your comment to me: fuck off!

Bhoytony: I happen to live in the transexual-prostitue neighborhood. I don't mind the grabbing that much, only when I'm accompanied by Alicja. ;)

Justin should be landing in Dublin in about 15 minutes. I hope the fly went well and he will have some good time at the con. Shame I couldn't join him. I guess my non-existent "sedn Phil to Dublin" fundraiser didn't work out (because it was non-existent).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Stephie: as a present and token of good faith, in return to your comment to me: fuck off!

Bhoytony: I happen to live in the transexual-prostitue neighborhood. I don't mind the grabbing that much, only when I'm accompanied by Alicja. ;)

Justin should be landing in Dublin in about 15 minutes. I hope the fly went well and he will have some good time at the con. Shame I couldn't join him. I guess my non-existent "sedn Phil to Dublin" fundraiser didn't work out (because it was non-existent).
I think Justin's flight was delayed in the US.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Stephie: as a present and token of good faith, in return to your comment to me: fuck off!

I think Justin's flight was delayed in the US.
Oh, yes, quite correct. He'll be landing around 10am Irish time (in about one hour). I should have sent him that "Arab countdown" screesaver before he left. Stupid me!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I want to find YORYOR and wank him off.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laden decides to defend Peezus new book by launching an attack on the Amazon review of John Loftus.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30LW6Z14W ... deID=&tag=

Being the model skeptic he is, Laden argues against Loftus description of 'The Happy Atheist' as being a collection of old pharyngula blogposts by using evidence, rationality and wit to make his case that Loftus was completely wrong. poisoning the well in a transparently dishonest and sleazy manner.

:D :D :D :D

Welcome back Greg.
We've missed you. :dance:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Pitchguest wrote:For cunt and Mykeru:

[youtube]OfAul2isPfo[/youtube]

1:34. No need to thank me.
David Firth fan eh? I salute thee.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Walter Ego wrote:
Welcome back Walter. :lol:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Welcome back Greg.
We still have plenty of time to reload, though...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Wonderist wrote:
Wonderist wrote:

Well fucking done!

YORYOR is treestump?
Respec' due

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
Welcome back Walter. :lol:
The new improved Walter! Walter redux, actually. I saw the doctor at the hospital the other day and I'm feeling much better. The improvement is probably mostly psychological but I not complaining.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Dick Strawkins wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laden decides to defend Peezus new book by launching an attack on the Amazon review of John Loftus.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30LW6Z14W ... deID=&tag=

Being the model skeptic he is, Laden argues against Loftus description of 'The Happy Atheist' as being a collection of old pharyngula blogposts by using evidence, rationality and wit to make his case that Loftus was completely wrong. poisoning the well in a transparently dishonest and sleazy manner.

:D :D :D :D

Welcome back Greg.
I always find it kind of pathetic when other people start arguing with bad reviews, even when they're well founded. A bad review is a bad review, deal with it. What's even more pathetic is when an author starts defending his own work or attacking bad reviews, like on his blog. Myers hasn't stooped to doing this (yet), but it might be just a matter of time. His book is getting hammered on amazon. The good reviews are getting voted down. Even Laden's replies to Loftus are not shown by default. All the crap Myers has slung over the years is coming back to bite him on the ass. Once again we see why it's critical for him to control and censor the medium, as he does on Youtube. Otherwise he gets trashed. The Internet does not like PZ Myers. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

KenD

Post by KenD »

Skep tickle wrote: Doesn't legalization of prostitution empower women*? Alot like legalization of abortion does?
I've always thought that the harm reduction and personal choice arguments for legalised abortion and prostitution are pretty similar, but for mainstream feminists the whole "my body, my choice" thing seems to end as soon as a woman does something they find a bit icky.

It's like the way feminists talk about the need to listen to women's voices, complaining about women being silenced when there are male dominated conferences and debates. Yet when it comes to prostitutes, feminists often try to make sure they're ignored and excluded from any decisions made about how they should live their lives.

If you look at Witnesses and Submissions section of the consultation on prostitution that Ivana Bacik is praising, you'll find that no sex workers were included. When they protested and demanded to be heard, feminist groups were among those arguing that nothing they contributed could be trusted or valuable to the debate. Nearly every organisation involved in this "fair and balanced" consultation was either conservative Catholic or mainstream feminist, so of course the conclusion was overwhelmingly in favour of criminalisation.

This is being presented as a victory for feminist activism, and it's clear they don't give a fuck what the women actually affected by the legislation think about it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Latest Ally Fogg:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... ans-world/

(currently waiting for the usual suspects to show up)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ElevatorGate's scattergun storify-everything-that-moves has uncovered an interesting story, relevant to certain discussions of rape and feminism.

http://www.complicity.co.uk/blog/2013/0 ... criminals/

To summarize, a FtoM pre-op transexual was charged in court with sexual assault for deceiving another woman. This other woman believed she was getting into a sexual relationship with a man she met on the internet but the FtoM transexual individual did not disclose his status. They had sex on several occasions (digital penetration, oral sex, and touching of the woman - no sexual touching of the FtoM transexual partner) but some later date the woman came to realize that her boyfriend was not physically male.
The woman, and possibly her family, informed the police and the other party was prosecuted.
The legal ramifications are important because it goes against the kind of policies advocated by vocal transexual advocates like Zinnia Jones, who has argued that transexuals should not have to discuss their status with potential sexual partners.
According to this legal verdict, in the UK at least, this is not the case any longer.

The comment section focuses on the situation for male to female transexuals (do they have to reveal their history to partners?) but the case itself has more connections to the ongoing feminist debate.
The writer gets called out for complaining that there was a prosecution despite the fact that the was no 'Penis in Vagina' sex (which, if you don't know is a huge red flag that the writer is a radfem.)

The case reminds me of a recent article that called for adultery to be termed a form of rape (because someone is being deceived in some way into having sex, therefore there is no consent, and so it's rape.)

That itself is probably the natural consequence of viewing 'sex without full consent' as being equivalent to rape.
Previously there needed to be some measure of coersion or violence involved. If, instead, there is some kind of dishonesty on the part of one of the participants (for example not informing the other that they are already married, or promising to leave their spouse but failing to do so) then it could be argued that the other partner has not consented to sex in those situations.
There's an interesting legal discussion document about various senarios connected with this:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

I wonder which side Dave Silverman would take in the following dilemma:
1. Husband Impersonation

The classic husband impersonation case with a twist is Lewis v. State. n128 Lewis, a slave, climbed into bed and had sexual intercourse with a white woman who believed Lewis was her husband. n129 The court reluctantly held that force, actual or constructive, is a necessary ingredient of rape. n130 If the woman consents, the court reasoned, no rape occurred even though consent was obtained by fraudulent impersonation. n131 It added:

We depart from our usual course, for the purpose of inviting the attention of the legislature to this subject. Under our penal laws, one who obtains the goods of another under false and fraudulent pretenses, is held guilty in the same degree as if he has feloniously stolen them. He who contaminates female purity under like fraudulent pretenses, goes unwhipped of justice. n132

Other courts have upheld rape charges in husband impersonation cases finding fraud in the factum vitiating consent. n133 One court, for example, reasoned that husband impersonation cases really involve fraud in the factum because the woman has consented to [*67] marital intercourse not adultery and, therefore, the impersonator's fraud vitiates her consent. n134

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Ally Fogg continues to ask the plaintive question: What about teh menz?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... ans-world/

Good article, but let me ask, does anyone else find this kind of mutual detente that's building between HeteroNorm Pat. and the rest of FtB vaguely annoying? I mean, if you're going to write for a sadistically ideological blog network, do you think it might be worth addressing that fact? I know, I know, we're all supposed to be enjoying the gradually escalating tension, kind of like just how many episodes of the X-files it would take before Mulder threw himself on Sculley, but isn't this a bit childish? It doesn't take a genius to realize that Fogg is utterly intellectually incompatible with FfTB. I, for one, don't feel like waiting nine months for the orgasm of literary violence. I'm starting to get the impression that this is just another way to play people for blog hits.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

It would be astonishing if Myers failed to indicate in his book that almost half of it had been published before on his blog. After all, on Pharyngula there is this legendary commentator who has for years, almost on a daily basis, persistently, unwaveringly, quasi-obsessively, responded to any argument of any kind with this demand, this panacea of a response, that, in his robotic mind, ought to take care of any form of dissent:

CITATION NEEDED.

If this went unheeded by, of all people, PZ Myers, his unquestionable guru, then I am certain that Nerd of Redhead’s feeble brain would melt. He would be reduced to endlessly sputtering “Citation needed, you fuckwitted idjit,” in a metallic voice. It would be the end of Pharyngula as we know it.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Hehe. Mykeru berating someone for an inflated ego! Welcome back, you salty old dog. I completely apologize for my comments, after Sid Vicious up there pointed out that your own head was the intended target for that bullet, not Cunt. I was wrong, I now understand, and I can very easily empathize with your feelings.
Hi, you're a dick.

I really tried to get into "my life sucks" mode for Cunt, but he is apparently living the dream, too enlightened through Ambassador vodka in the convenient plastic back pocket-sized bottle to get the pop culture reference.

[youtube]SVl8tJrSaio[/youtube]

What confuses me is that I end up playing both sides of the scene, being that I'm also "too old for this shit". It's a dilemma, but then I remember the Jews are to blame, and it all makes sense.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

KenD wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Doesn't legalization of prostitution empower women*? Alot like legalization of abortion does?
I've always thought that the harm reduction and personal choice arguments for legalised abortion and prostitution are pretty similar, but for mainstream feminists the whole "my body, my choice" thing seems to end as soon as a woman does something they find a bit icky.

It's like the way feminists talk about the need to listen to women's voices, complaining about women being silenced when there are male dominated conferences and debates. Yet when it comes to prostitutes, feminists often try to make sure they're ignored and excluded from any decisions made about how they should live their lives.
Back when I thought feminism (gender feminism) was what it claimed to be, that used to puzzle me too. But I was just a teenager and hadn't really figured out (at that time) social movements and how their organizations get co-opted by the sociopaths who use them for their own purposes.

If these feminists truly believed in "our body, our choice" then they would support the choices these women made, even if they personally wouldn't make those choices. Further, they'd work hard to provide alternative opportunities for these women to escape that career. But they don't. They attack and try to control these women, despite making those claims of 'freedom of choice.' So, like any rational person, I had no choice but to change my world view to fit the facts and come to the obvious conclusion they're not about women's right to choose, but about their quest for prestige and their desire to control men and women in order to fit in the Utopian Hell they tout as 'the great solution.'

If you look at Witnesses and Submissions section of the consultation on prostitution that Ivana Bacik is praising, you'll find that no sex workers were included. When they protested and demanded to be heard, feminist groups were among those arguing that nothing they contributed could be trusted or valuable to the debate. Nearly every organisation involved in this "fair and balanced" consultation was either conservative Catholic or mainstream feminist, so of course the conclusion was overwhelmingly in favour of criminalisation.

This is being presented as a victory for feminist activism, and it's clear they don't give a fuck what the women actually affected by the legislation think about it.
Of course they don't. Those women needed to 'check their privilege' and "shut up and listen" as 'big Sister' knows best.