Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Eskarina wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Other good show (although it takes the pilot + few episodes to get hooked) is the defunct Space: Above And Beyond. I can't recommend it enough to sci-fy fans.
That was an excellent show, only partly because I was lusting after McQueen. :D

Around the time it was aired over here, I got my first internet connection and made my first acquaintance with fanfic because of the show.
And since we were watching Six Feet Under tonight, with the swinger party episode in season two: Yeah, have to agree. Fucking tanks, they rock!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote: I haven't seen a "strong anti-geek/nerd vibe" among women who are interested in, and good at, physics/math, nor that such women would drop physics/math because other girls might look down on it/them. (My experience obviously isn't universal, but I was one of those girls who did well in math & the sciences, had friends who didn't share those interests, attended [state name] Institute of Technology as an undergrad, then got a graduate degree in a geeky/nerdy field before leaving that field for one that's much more people-oriented.)
No surprise that you went that way either. You are probably a lot happier than those women who did not even if it was their preference (and I am not saying all women are inclined that way).

At this point I am more amused/bemused by the gender ideologues that insist on a gender parity/equality of outcome because men and women are equal.

Although, the following looks like more of a power grab by white upper class women more than anything else right now:

EU pushes 40% quota for women on boards
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/65f494e6 ... abdc0.html
Europe’s listed companies will be forced to reserve at least 40 per cent of their non-executive director board seats for women by 2020 or face fines and other sanctions under a proposal being drafted by the European Commission.

The legislation, a copy of which was obtained by the Financial Times, is aimed at what EU officials believe is a severe gender imbalance across the bloc’s 27 member states. EU data shows that in January, women represented only 13.7 per cent of board positions in large listed companies
There will be consequences. I expect some of them to be particularly hilarious. I can not wait.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Hey PZ - Heads up,it looks like the comments were left open on some of your FtBCon videos, not sure whether that was inadvertent or intentional:

The Right Way to be Wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_2M-MqznCQ

Science Communication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb0YyX5s1eE

:popcorn:

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Good god, Physioprof sounds like the biggest douchebag in the universe.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Two more, on others' channels, for which the comments are not disabled (but, no comments yet):

On Ian Cromwell's channel, "FtBCon: Evangelical Atheism"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oPtfKmyOZU

On Stephanie Zvan's channel, "FtBCon: Of Spoons and Skepticism: Skeptics talk about chronic pain"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V37kwQsdxaw

The others seem to have comments disabled.

Is "# of views" info disabled for most of these videos? I'm not seeing #s (but didn't check them all).

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Percentage wrote:Good god, Physioprof sounds like the biggest douchebag in the universe.

Yeh, how to cook a proper fucking, motherfucking, risowtow

Do all Americans pronounce risotto like that? Is it a tomayto/tomarto thing?

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

"saute this bitch up a little bit"

within 1 minute of Physioprof's cooking video .... he sounds drunk or camera goofy.. I dunno, whatever.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Skep tickle wrote:Hey PZ - Heads up,it looks like the comments were left open on some of your FtBCon videos, not sure whether that was inadvertent or intentional:

The Right Way to be Wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_2M-MqznCQ

Science Communication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb0YyX5s1eE

:popcorn:
Trollbait. It's for his post about the awful slime pit attempts to disrupt the one or two things they forgot to clamp down on. (My guess)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Percentage wrote:Good god, Physioprof sounds like the biggest douchebag in the universe.

64 views, 1 "like", 3 "dislikes", no comments yet (but they're not disabled).

I've only watched 4.5 minutes. He's younger than I'd imagined (or, appears to be young-ish). Quite a potty mouth but that probably shouldn't be a surprise given his language on his blog. And I'm surprised there aren't trigger warnings for vegetarians (given the chicken broth), people who would find that amount of garlic & black pepper to be threatening, and non-yuppies (radicchio risotto? okay, maybe it's really good, and "accessible").

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

we're going to saute the shit out of some fucking radicchio.

Now I swear a lot, but this idiot is like a six year old who just learned some bad words.

didymos

Post by didymos »

debaser71 wrote:"saute this bitch up a little bit"
Misogyny!

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

fucking rape culture

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Fuckinge shitte video I'll watche fuckinge Epic Meal fuckinge Time insteade for some non-shitte cookinge.

Parody Accountant

debaser71 wrote:"saute this bitch up a little bit"

within 1 minute of Physioprof's cooking video .... he sounds drunk or camera goofy.. I dunno, whatever.

Drunk. Amazing find though.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

bhoytony wrote:

I don't, but then I'm not a wealthy East Coast prep school douche, so what do I know?

I like to cook (though I can't afford a fancy range or Le Creuset cookware), and it would be great to learn more about Italian cooking techniques in particular, but that video is so annoying that I can't listen to it. Also, it confirms something for me.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

OH GOD.

MAKE IT STOP!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

another lurker wrote:

OH GOD.

MAKE IT STOP!
Imagine listening to that for a 30-min scientific presentation, minus the (very) marginal entertainment value of the swear words.

:sleeping-yellow:

Git

Post by Git »

Skep tickle wrote:Quite a potty mouth but that probably shouldn't be a surprise given his language on his blog. And I'm surprised there aren't trigger warnings for vegetarians (given the chicken broth), people who would find that amount of garlic & black pepper to be threatening,
There's no such thing as a "too threatening" amount of garlic.

For me at least. Can't speak for kittehs though:

http://kitchenmischief.files.wordpress. ... c-cat1.jpg

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Physioproffeeee sounds like Randall.

[youtube]4r7wHMg5Yjg[/youtube]

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

[quote="Metalogic42"]Physioproffeeee sounds like Randall.

snip

I thought 'surfer dude' at first, but you're right!

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I prefer my rice with beans. Risotto seems like overkill to me. Trendy. I blame Food Network.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Jason T-bagg (hey, it's shorter, ok) has a post on the FfTB "con panel" - atheism is not enough

His whole post is this explanation:
As proven by the deep rifts that exist within movement atheism, a common acknowledgement that there is no god is often not enough ground on which to build a coherent, lasting community. Social justice movements often encounter tipping points where they either take into account the natural allies that are other movements, or they fail. Debbie Goddard, Desiree Schell, James Croft, Kimberley Veal, Kim Rippere and Yemisi Ilesanmi all joined me to discuss atheism and social justice, and how atheism shouldn’t be the endpoint of a journey into freethought, but the beginning.
A few issues - "movement atheism" - WTF? I tired to find out what that is, but a google search of the term basically just comes up with atheist movement. And a lot of the SJW crap. Movement atheism sounds like an ideology. I am an atheist, and sometimes do things to support that, especially if it is defending my country from the religious ideologues, but I don't consider myself a "movement anything". By virtue of being an atheist who occaisonally does things, I guess I am part of the atheist movement, but not the other way around.

As for building a "coherent, lasting community", I'll stick with the melting pot approach. Where there are people of all different views and attitudes. I'd prefer them to not rely on superstition and do some more critical thinking, but I don't want to live in a community where everyone is a clone of everyone else. I don't want to be part, even online, of a group of people who are yes-men and kowtow to the party line. Thats what they want. Also, considering that I think it would be best for atheism to be a conclusion of skeptical thinking, not the beginning, I think they have it a little backwards. Atheism is one conclusion on one issue only. I prefer a humanistic philosophy to look at other issues, leaving atheism on it's own - the only reason it should come up is to counter claims of the supernatural (at least where gods are involved - atheism says nothing about ghosts, for example).

I just can't help thinking (once again) that these people are so desperate to define themselves as something that they'll grab anything at all. Maybe when I first deconverted I might have been like that, but I grew up a bit and my atheism didn't stay as The defining moment or core of myself. I know many of us, including me, have said it before, but I think it important enough to restate this when viewing things like these "movement atheists".

Does that make any sense? :think:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

another lurker wrote:

OH GOD.

MAKE IT STOP!
This, this, a thousand times this! Crap, his voice is as annoying as his writing. And yeah, I agree with whoever called him a ... preppie douche, was it? If not, it should have been. As for risotto, I always thought it was "rih - zah-toe", emphasis on the second syllable. Could be just me. Never had it, myself, so what do I know?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Metalogic42 wrote:Physioproffeeee sounds like Randall.

You're right. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

Parody Accountant

katamari Damassi wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:Physioproffeeee sounds like Randall.

You're right. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it.
This risotto is motherfukken badasse! The risotto doesn't give a shitte, it's a motherfukkenne baddasse111!!!1!1! It doesn't give a shit!

Let's saute this bitch up a little bit!!!"

welch

Post by welch »

Badger3k wrote:
another lurker wrote:

OH GOD.

MAKE IT STOP!
This, this, a thousand times this! Crap, his voice is as annoying as his writing. And yeah, I agree with whoever called him a ... preppie douche, was it? If not, it should have been. As for risotto, I always thought it was "rih - zah-toe", emphasis on the second syllable. Could be just me. Never had it, myself, so what do I know?
Even worSE? he likes to do that thiNG? Where he ends all his sentencES? on a rising inflectiON? So he always sounds like he's asking a questiON?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

sacha wrote:

I realise I'm evil, but I fucking love these. Fuck that violent child, I hope the cat got him good
Hehe, don't give me any of this "spanking is child abuse" nonsense, little shits need the monkey beaten out of them. ;)

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Badger3k wrote:
another lurker wrote:

OH GOD.

MAKE IT STOP!
Also douche-bucket thinks its "moe-zer-ella", rather than "mots-zah-rell".

White boys keeping it real

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

bhoytony wrote:

After 30 seconds of that I was laughing my balls off. Help me find my balls.

ps Yeah, that's pretty much the way I've heard it pronounced too. Why, is it rhymes-with-otto?

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

I watched a little bit of the panel with James Croft. I thought he did a good job. I didn't really listen to the Canuck guy - he didn't seem to have anything very interesting to offer, and I already know he hates people who don't think like him, so I can't say I respect much of what he has to say about diversity and privilege.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

bovarchist wrote:
ps Yeah, that's pretty much the way I've heard it pronounced too. Why, is it rhymes-with-otto?
It is where I come from, but that doesn't make it definitive, maybe we should ask an Italian. Who knows?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Badger3k wrote:
another lurker wrote:

OH GOD.

MAKE IT STOP!
Love his musical choices too. Pet Shop Boys, Flock of Seagulls, "And I ruuuuuuuun....I run so far awaaaaaaaay" Priceless.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Badger3k wrote:For shits and giggles, Ophelia has a post up where she introduces Josh the "spokesgay" as a blogger (his blog is =http://www.morethanmen.org/2013/07/19/ ... -that/here

If the url doesn't show up, he's at "morethanmen.org" and he quoted by ophie, he writes to the "white gay doodz".

She even calls him a good writer! I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Ophie's post is:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... t-you-are/
Josh manages to demonstrate such a perfect example of hypocritical pontificating that I'm surprised he didn't get offered a blog at FTB.
I actually thought that it was a reasonable post, not least for conceding that there are, contrary to the catechism over at Atheism Plus, cases where “marginalized groups” certainly can be “guilty of –isms”. Although I’m not much impressed with the fact that my comment there has been languishing in moderation for over two hours. FWIW, for posterity:
Steersman wrote:Seems like a pretty reasonable first post as it covers some important points, and makes some credible arguments.

However, I might suggest that you might want to consider that there are probably more than a few gay – and straight – women who might reasonably be construed to be guilty of the same sort of “toxic sexist-misogynist-gender-policing-shit-on-the-guy-below-you sewer we soak in” attitude, although “misandrist” might be a more appropriate term to use in their case even if TERFs make that somewhat debatable.

And which might lead you to question Ophelia Benson’s claim that “connecting ‘virulent’ with feminism’ is misogyny”.

All of which, including your comments about questionable attitudes in the gay community, might also lead you to question, if not voice a concern or two, about Atheism Plus’ “Glossary” which only suggests they have their heads well up their own asses. But a salient section of that glossary is, I would say, quite clearly contradicted by your own descriptions, not to mention by many others:
In social justice terms, marginalized groups cannot be guilty of -isms in regards to the axes of privilege that they fall low on, because they don't have the power to institutionalize their prejudices.
And it is that piece of rather odious and egregious dogma that leads many to quite reasonably, I think, raise more than a few quite credible questions about Atheism Plus itself, as well as about those who uncritically promote and accept it.
Dick Strawkins wrote:BTW, has anyone else noticed what's happened to Ophelia now that Vacula has stopped tweeting @ her?
She doesn't have her excuse for writing her standard "Help! Help! I'm being harrassed!, posts - and now her comment section is like tumbleweed gulch.
She seems to have realized that she needs more drama/donations and on her latest post she tries to rekindle the "Michael Shermer is a sexist!" squib. Even her drama addicted comment herd must be face-palming at such blatant desperation.
She and many others really do seem remarkably clueless on that point. Somebody should point her towards that article sacha quoted earlier about the preponderance of women in the psychology departments of many universities, and ask her when she is going to be rattling her can to promote gender parity there.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

welch wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
Even worSE? he likes to do that thiNG? Where he ends all his sentencES? on a rising inflectiON? So he always sounds like he's asking a questiON?
Maybe he's from North Carolina? (start at 3:00)

[youtube]GBoC4yxGrr0[/youtube]

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Mogilevsky has a lazy eye. I'm surprised she's never milked that for victim points.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Always thought he was a bit of a cunt, now we know which bit

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

that's a dude

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

From that article:
The unbiased look at the data shows that females do as well as males in math for the first time in history, a terrific achievement. Women get more Ph.D.'s than men and not only are women hired for faculty positions as often as male counterparts, they are hired more.

Yet because the gross numbers are still less, it must still be a problem and the BBC once again spares no effort in being cultural busybodies and try to make the case with no real data at all. Hannah Richardson, BBC News education reporter, even invokes a James Bond movie with a female scientist in it from 1979 so you get the message properly framed for you...
One of the commenters to the other link you posted pointed out that men are more represented at both ends of the curve in a number of areas (e.g. remedial math classes as well as high/early math achievement), however addressing the preponderance of men with low academic achievement, like addressing the preponderance of men in prison, doesn't seem to be on the radar screen of those eager, in the name of "equality", to raise the achievement & recognition of girls & women.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Speaking of bloviating arsewads at FtB:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/4192/

Moglievsky's eyeballs seem to move in tandem just fine (e.g. when she looks up and to the left), but she does appear to have a droopy eyelid (ptosis) on one side.

sacha

Post by sacha »

bhoytony wrote:I heard something interesting recently, but can't recall where. It was a discussion about empathy and somebody was saying how it is a good thing. The other person responded that to be a good torturer requires empathy too. I'd never considered that before.
I'm not sure I'd call that empathy

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Phil, very sexy new avatar. You look cultured, almost as though you weren't a Frenchman.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

BarnOwl wrote:Speaking of bloviating arsewads at FtB:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/4192/

Moglievsky's eyeballs seem to move in tandem just fine (e.g. when she looks up and to the left), but she does appear to have a droopy eyelid (ptosis) on one side.
Dick the C wrote:I often philosophize about the excellence of Scotch
Isn't he versatile! What a philosopher!
Dick the C wrote:Anytime you spend the night drinking heavily, chug a tall glass of water before going to bed.
Well fuck me sideways with a sandpaper condom! The things you learn on FtB. I never realized that. He is a font of wisdom on all things.

BTW, isn't single malt being your favorite tipple a little, you know, privileged? Some of us only have beer and the dregs of a bottle of Sauv Blanc to polish off.

sacha

Post by sacha »

welch wrote:

hahaha! I could not get past 3 minutes.

his voice and pronounciation are unbearable

sacha

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:
Also douche-bucket thinks its "moe-zer-ella", rather than "mots-zah-rell".

White boys keeping it real
hahahaha!

sacha

Post by sacha »

bhoytony wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
It is where I come from, but that doesn't make it definitive, maybe we should ask an Italian. Who knows?

paging decius

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

BarnOwl wrote:
another lurker wrote:

OH GOD.

MAKE IT STOP!
Imagine listening to that for a 30-min scientific presentation, minus the (very) marginal entertainment value of the swear words.

:sleeping-yellow:
I would have dropped the course. I couldn't listen to more than 5 seconds. The "Valley Girl ending everything in a question inflection" was too much in that brief time.

Slither

Post by Slither »

OH GOD.

MAKE IT STOP![/quote]

Okay, so why did Physioprof ever think that anyone would want to watch that, as opposed to Alton Brown:
[youtube]FqvYeimGar4[/youtube]
Ego? Or does he think that he has fans who will watch whatever stupid stuff he puts out?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

sacha wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
bovarchist wrote:

paging decius
The cesspit of lies indicates that the first "o" is pronounced like that in "not" and the second "o" like the aw in British-English "law." Though I get annoyed when students challenge scientific information (supported by multiple peer-reviewed research papers or by clinical experience/knowledge from my colleague) with Wikipedia articles, so it's hypocritical for me to turn around and rely on Wikipedia for Italian language, about which I know very little.

sacha

Post by sacha »

I took years of Italian, but I will wait and defer to an expert

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Sulaco wrote: I would have dropped the course. I couldn't listen to more than 5 seconds. The "Valley Girl ending everything in a question inflection" was too much in that brief time.
Not a course but a talk at a conference, where you're often stuck listening to boring presentations. At least you only have to put up with a particular boring/annoying speaker just once (and then you know to avoid them in the future).

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

sacha wrote:
bhoytony wrote:I heard something interesting recently, but can't recall where. It was a discussion about empathy and somebody was saying how it is a good thing. The other person responded that to be a good torturer requires empathy too. I'd never considered that before.
Well if empathy is understanding another person's feelings from their perspective, you would need that to be a truly effective torturer. If you don't identify with their fears etc. then you are missing a lot of opportunities.
I'm beginning to sound like a bit of a psycho to myself now.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

bhoytony wrote:
sacha wrote:
Well if empathy is understanding another person's feelings from their perspective, you would need that to be a truly effective torturer. If you don't identify with their fears etc. then you are missing a lot of opportunities.

All of the people who spent the last few days arguing over GZ/TM must have bucketloads of empathy.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

A question for cat-loving and cat-knowledgeable 'Pytters:

Is there anyway to know whether kittens have been abandoned without a mother cat (or if the mother cat has been killed), vs. kittens left alone while their feral mother is out hunting? I ask because we heard kittens meowing in a stand of small trees that were located within a fenced lot downtown, where we were running this morning. In this case we couldn't see or get to the kittens, because the lot was inside an 8-foot fence topped with razor wire and had no houses or open businesses nearby, and the kittens didn't cry when we all ran past the same lot on the way back, 30-60 minutes later. I'm just wondering in case I ever come across kittens that I could help in some way if necessary.

decius

Post by decius »

sacha wrote:I took years of Italian, but I will wait and defer to an expert
You called, M'lady?

The douche doesn't pronounce it correctly.

As as side note, that must be an Italo-American recipe - much like linguine Alfredo - which doesn't exist in Italy.
I never heard of mozzarella being used for risotto. The former is from southern Italy (Campania region) and the latter is a regional dish from Lombardy.
There's very little ongoing fusion between the two.

I wouldn't hold the wrong pronunciation against him, it's still perfectly understandable.

Here you can hear a native saying "risotto".

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

another lurker wrote: All of the people who spent the last few days arguing over GZ/TM must have bucketloads of empathy.
That truly was torture.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

decius wrote: Here you can hear a native saying "risotto".
Hey, I speak it like a native.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I made my boyfriend listen to Comradde Douchebagge and he yells 'WTF IS THIS SHIT!?'

He did not appreciate it one bit:(

sacha

Post by sacha »

bhoytony wrote:
sacha wrote:

hahaha!

I think the torturer would have to know what will cause the reaction he/she seeks, but I don't consider that empathy

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

There is often some confusion between "empathy" and "compassion".

Yes, to be a good torturer you indeed must have empathy with your victim; you must be able to understand, explicitly, what they are undergoing, both in terms of physical pain and response, and the emotional and psychological effect.

If you have real compassion, you probably cannot be a torturer at all, even if you do not have empathy. If you are a compassionate and empathetic individual, there is no way on Earth you could ever be a torturer, let alone cause another person serious undeserved* pain -- of course, exceptions do exist when it comes to things like revenge, rage, and so on.

*There is probably a world of debate that could be taken over the phrase undeserved/deserved pain.