Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Wonderist

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Wonderist »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:There is no good for the legal system to deal with rape cases, but there are lots of bad ones. One of the worst would be to reverse the assumption of innocence. Combine that with an ever expanding definition of what constitutes "rape" and you have the potential for all kinds of Stalinist-like "purges". Like those kids in "The Killing Fields", you just have to denounce an annoying adult, and they get taken away and never annoy you again. In the beginning at least, the Commissars never think that they will be the subject of the purge and, in any case, they are afraid to oppose it in case they are thought to be supporting the crime-of-the-day. And the presumption of guilt won't stop with sexual assault cases. If rape is bad, terrorism must be worse, yes? - or are you supporting terrorism? Now the State can put you away and you have to prove you're innocent to get out, and good luck with that.
Also known as a witch hunt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Hanged.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... kiana5.jpg
Hard to believe, but this is what can happen when unskeptical people believe irrational dogmas of demonization of other people. Still fucking happening today:
http://www.newstimeafrica.com/wp-conten ... n-Fire.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4IbcBowGZfU/T ... -large.jpg
http://akorra.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... Africa.jpg
This is what can happen when people are presumed guilty.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/1 ... 76452.html
http://akorra.com/2012/03/04/top-10-wit ... n-history/
http://themoralskeptic.blogspot.ca/2010 ... frica.html
http://www.newstimeafrica.com/archives/9767
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 42907.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/de ... heobserver

Please watch this video: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/video/2007/dec/09/video
Thankfully, we live in a society where such violence is very difficult to perpetrate. But the thought process is the same.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Aneris wrote:
Reap wrote:Hey PZ Myers you fucking inept dick, what about when this happens?
http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-califo ... index.html

Just glad she didn't try to pin it on anyone. It's bad enough the irresponsibility and disrespect she has already displayed.
Not helping. We know that false positives exist and that any system will be abused. However, there is a large number of unreported cases than the other way around.
Do you mean that the number of unreported rapes is larger than the number of false accusations? How would we know that? How do we have figures on either number?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Punch and Judy kind of creep me out, though - like clowns.
I detest clowns. In the museum of modern art in Amsterdam (the Stedelijk Museum) there used to be a video installation called 'Clown Torture'. That had my full approval.

What is creepier than an ordinary clown? A picture of serial killer John Wayne Gacy dressed up as a clown.
http://murderpedia.org/male.G/images/g/gacy/gacy350.jpg

It's like Pennywise, ain't it.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Jan Steen wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Nerd: PeeZus loves you. Everybody else thinks you're a cunt.
He loves PeeZus alright. Whether it's reciprocal only PeeZus knows.
Nah, all those countless hours of adoration and brain-dead loyalty are really worth nothing. Peezus would ban the stupid twat the moment he stepped out of line.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Hunt wrote:--snipped--

Where there's an absence of any suspect, though, I don't see any reason not to accept a rape or harassment victim's testimony, though this does create the odd contingency where if a suspect suddenly appears, we would need to presume his innocence, which entails suspending our belief in the victim's testimony.
Even in the absence of a suspect you should be skeptical. Just like you shouldn't defame someone just because they use a pseudonym. Sure the slurs might never get attached to the real person, but if they are ever doxxed then suddenly you have been libeling a named person (and that's ignoring any positive reputation they have with their pseudonym). That is why I don't find OB's complaint about her opponents being pseudonymous to be very significant. Having a pen-name can be a little protection, but it is not a huge amount and it can be compromised. It's why I thought so much less of PZ after he referred to Thunderf00t's real name during their disagreement. I doubt Thunderf00t cared, but to everyone who prefers a pseudonym, it was a threat. It was PZ's way of indicating "I am unethical and don't care if I hurt you."

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 480cdd.png

They're determined to force this duplicitous narrative of pervasive harassment from other atheists. Atheist men harassing atheist women in online forums - that's the only "context" they seem to care about. Even if it were true, it's such a ridiculous first world problem that anyone truly concerned about social justice should be embarrassed to keep obsessing over it.

cunt

Post by cunt »

We have to make it socially expensive? Ok how?

Errr.. Ummmm... Think of the children!!!

Reap

Post by Reap »

Aneris wrote:
Reap wrote:Hey PZ Myers you fucking inept dick, what about when this happens?
http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-califo ... index.html

Just glad she didn't try to pin it on anyone. It's bad enough the irresponsibility and disrespect she has already displayed.
Not helping. We know that false positives exist and that any system will be abused. However, there is a large number of unreported cases than the other way around.
Exactly. This kind of behavior, (even though I know it is going to happen and the reasons for it) pisses me off cause it does harm on so many levels. Besides that can you imagine the way the conversation about the craigslist add would have went? Insane shit

cunt

Post by cunt »

AtheistCon 2013

Atheist1: We should do something
Atheist2: Yes, you're totally right. By noticing that we should do something we are good people.
Atheist1: Good people indeed.
Atheist2: We are great people.
Atheist1: Yes we are.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

BarnOwl wrote:
They're determined to force this duplicitous narrative of pervasive harassment from other atheists. Atheist men harassing atheist women in online forums - that's the only "context" they seem to care about. Even if it were true, it's such a ridiculous first world problem that anyone truly concerned about social justice should be embarrassed to keep obsessing over it.
Yes, please show me some of this "harassment". You know, the kind you don't have to actively search for, and/or that meets the legal definition of harassment.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

cunt wrote:We have to make it socially expensive? Ok how?

Yeah, how's that going to work, exactly? Do they expect to have the ability to ban and censor "harassers" outside of their own blogs and conferences? I don't comment at FtB, and I don't attend A/S meetings, so what are they going to do, take away my internetz?

Apples

Post by Apples »

BarnOwl wrote:

Yeah, how's that going to work, exactly? Do they expect to have the ability to ban and censor "harassers" outside of their own blogs and conferences? I don't comment at FtB, and I don't attend A/S meetings, so what are they going to do, take away my internetz?
If they could find a way, they would.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

And I still want to know why it hasn't been made "socially expensive" for the serial groper to physically harass women at London Skeptics meetings. Does it not count because it's not happening on an online forum?

cunt

Post by cunt »

BarnOwl wrote:

I don't know, but i'm sure it'll involve congratulating themselves for attending an event. This is crucial.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

cunt wrote: I don't know, but i'm sure it'll involve congratulating themselves for attending an event. This is crucial.
::imagines OB bouncing up and down in her seat, vigorously applauding the "socially expensive" line::

::is put off eating lunch::

cunt

Post by cunt »

BarnOwl wrote:
cunt wrote: I don't know, but i'm sure it'll involve congratulating themselves for attending an event. This is crucial.
::imagines OB bouncing up and down in her seat, vigorously applauding the "socially expensive" line::
Yes, yes, this. So much this.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Socially expensive implies that you put value what other people think. What if you think they're retards?

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

BarnOwl wrote:Ya know, I love my running club and there's no way I would run 10Ks and train for half-marathons without their support, but I really could do without the bible quotes in the newsletters.

They're really kind and inspiring people on the whole, they have lots of great training and race advice, and running is the only thing that has reliably moved excess weight off my middle-aged body, so I think I'm just going to have to suck it up with regards to the bible quotes.

UGH, though.
I could see Bible quotes inspiring alot of running. You have to roleplay a bit though.

Scenario 1: you are a citizen of Sodom and/or Gomorrah and Yahweh is pissed, you see fire building in the sky..

Scenario 2: You were left out of the crazy old man's boat and you see the rain falling. There's a mountain ahead of you...

Scenario 3: You are an Amalekite and the Israelites are on their way....

Apples

shit just got real over at Tibbydoo's

Post by Apples »

Reap

Post by Reap »

BarnOwl wrote:http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 480cdd.png

I can't wait to see how these intellectual powerhouses deal with the religious believers after they get rid of all us mean harassing atheists. Do they think the fight against religion is going to get easier as time goes by? How are they gonna deal with those people without doing what they define as harassing when its done to them? Do they think the "you just hate women" routine can only be used by them? Now they have not only provided the idea but they have given the argument a perception of having credibility.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BarnOwl wrote:

The current strategy seem to be whining that any form of online criticism of the nasty crap they perpetrate, constitutes 'workplace harrassment', since they are professional bloggers who, 'work on the internet'.
This argument, I suspect, is going to be completely convincing only to themselves and their hard-core sycophants. For everyone else it is going to take about a second to realize the stupidity of the strategy.
The 'social cost' of standing up against such stupid arguments cannot be high.
Which leads me to the conclusion that they have another 'cost' in mind.
I suspect they are preparing the way for a typical SJW style campaign of doxxing and job targeting.

comslave

Post by comslave »

BarnOwl wrote:http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 480cdd.png

"socially expensive to harass" Translation: post their photo on twitter and get them fired. Welcome to the new normal.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

BarnOwl wrote:And I still want to know why it hasn't been made "socially expensive" for the serial groper to physically harass women at London Skeptics meetings. Does it not count because it's not happening on an online forum?
It might be because the person mooted by those (apparently) in the know as the serial groper is an extremely well connected and influential lawyer.

Unlike 'upskirt photo' man Dr Buzzo, who was decidedly not a well connected and influential lawyer. Sure did turn out 'socially expensive' for him, despite the lack of evidence of any wrongdoing on his part.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Honestly I can't even follow this. He's mad about something Dick Strawkins said here or something. Because he's a loser. I don't know.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Submariner wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Yes, please show me some of this "harassment". You know, the kind you don't have to actively search for, and/or that meets the legal definition of harassment.
I can honestly say I've rarely seen any sexism or attacking based on gender coming from online atheists, and the few who did were immediately ostracized left and right by other atheists of both genders. The instances of this sort of behavior I;ve seen are incredibly rare, much rarer than the radfem atheists who want to try and place themselves as spokespeople for all secular women and who often are the worst and most intolerant critics and judges of the women they seemingly want to try and represent.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: shit just got real over at Tibbydoo's

Post by Lsuoma »

Posting IPs and ISPs: nice work, you nasty piece of shit, Thimbledick. Stay classy, cunt!

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

I notice he didn't actually address the point Strawkins was making about the hypocrisy...

Or the way atheists have told theists for years that personal experience is not evidence. If personal experience is automatically believed when related by a woman, any arguments with theistic women who have had a personal experience of God, must summarily end with, "I'm sorry, you're right".

Apples

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:

Honestly I can't even follow this. He's mad about something Dick Strawkins said here or something. Because he's a loser. I don't know.
PZ's got the first comment (the "she" at the beginning is apparently Skep Tickle):
Peezus wrote:Wait…she listened, & all she took from it was 1 or 2 sentences which she then misinterprets to mean I’m forever denying the possibility that a woman might make a false accusation? Nonsense. I’ve been threatened with a false rape accusation, one that could have totally destroyed my career.

I took it very seriously and moved quickly to provide evidence that it was false.

But of course we have to accept the personal testimony of women’s experiences. In that case, it would have been totally injust to simply say, “oh, she’s a woman, therefore she’s lying”. Most rape accusations are not false, so a priori dismissals are inappropriate, and if that woman had gone to the authorities (she didn’t, because I immediately brought in witnesses to make her effort futile) I would sure as hell hope they’d treat both of our positions with equal seriousness.
http://www.freezepage.com/1364665946DNIDFZFDAF

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Continuing from 13028:

That's why we don't determine truth values based on personal testimony. That's why we demand evidence. Can you folks over there at FfTB's et.al. not see the logic that you have used on theists now must apply to you?

This is the very heart of skepticism. Ask Matt Dillahunty about this principle. I can pull up dozens of clips of him using the same argument against theists that you Rad-fem bloggers want to flip over.

This is why I oppose you. THIS!

cunt

Post by cunt »

Automatic dismissals are inappropriate, and more than that, just plainly wrong. That's an entirely different thing from saying that one testimony should automatically count more than another, because you know, one person has a vagina.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

About rape accusations and the number of legitimate rape victims who avoid reporting their assaults: I wonder if part of the problem is our western attitude that talking about sex is somehow gross and icky, to the point where sex ed is being restricted to abstinence only in many areas and large numbers of children are being indoctrinated from pre-puberty to avoid discussion of any subjects involving sexual behavior.

If we could increase education on not only the "birds and the bees" aspects but also topics like the consequences of sexual behavior, including what constitutes forced sex, discussion of the devastating effects of rape and assault on both male and female victims, and education on how to avoid situations that would put one at risk of assault or false accusation, I think we could really make an impact that improves the situation for everyone in the coming generations far more than the back and forth we currently are having. Perhaps this is all some high and lofty idealism, I don't know, but I've always thought that education and knowledge are the best ways to solve societal issues.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Lsuoma wrote:
Posting IPs and ISPs: nice work, you nasty piece of shit, Thimbledick. Stay classy, cunt!

Turns out it's a Babtist Church! ha ha! Thats some funny shit!

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Apples wrote:
cunt wrote:

PZ's got the first comment (the "she" at the beginning is apparently Skep Tickle):
Peezus wrote:Wait…she listened, & all she took from it was 1 or 2 sentences which she then misinterprets to mean I’m forever denying the possibility that a woman might make a false accusation? Nonsense. I’ve been threatened with a false rape accusation, one that could have totally destroyed my career.

I took it very seriously and moved quickly to provide evidence that it was false.

But of course we have to accept the personal testimony of women’s experiences. In that case, it would have been totally injust to simply say, “oh, she’s a woman, therefore she’s lying”. Most rape accusations are not false, so a priori dismissals are inappropriate, and if that woman had gone to the authorities (she didn’t, because I immediately brought in witnesses to make her effort futile) I would sure as hell hope they’d treat both of our positions with equal seriousness.
http://www.freezepage.com/1364665946DNIDFZFDAF
This seems so basic:

A person's "personal testimony" reflects the relayed event as the person experienced it, or more accurately as he/she remembers having experienced it, including the emotions associated with that experience. It is THE way we find out what someone feels about an event.

"Personal testimony" could definitely POINT TO evidence that might exist about the event that others might look for (& possibly find). But "personal testimony" does not prove that an event happened, or that it happened the way the person remembers it, especially what another person's intent or thinking was.

In particular, everyone should be cautious about taking "personal testimony" as evidence of 'harassment". It could be that observers might have seen miscommunication, misunderstanding, difference in assumptions on the part of the 2 people. Maybe RW felt harassed in the elevator, but presumably the guy was not trying to harass her - he was just trying to ask her out (not recognizing that she would feel uncomfortable in that specific situation), or really was asking her for coffee & conversation.

I was not the one who initiated mention of harassment or "the personal testimony of women" onstage at PZ's talk. That was completely his choice. He sort of tossed it in during his talk or the Q&A, but it wasn't in response to an audience question about harassment. I don't remember exactly how it did come up, but it was clear that it was something PZ felt important to initiate advice to us (to atheists, with us being the audience at that moment) about.

I was not the one who caused his mention of "harassment and rape" to be just a few lines, apparently off the cuff, from the speaker on stage who apparently thought that advice was really important to impart. I qualified my comments to include that I thought I heard him equate harassment and rape, but that I might have misheard or misundersood him.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Hey Lousy, what the pretty girls told you in high school. it was cruel but very accurate. You should probably get over it now that you're in your thirties.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Lsuoma wrote:
Jason is a reasonable and responsible person. He read the allegation and looked up the IP address. Upon realizing that it could be a regular user at the Slymepit, he reached out to its admin, Lsuoma, to test his hypothesis and to ask which user it was, so the matter could be handled in a civil and adult kind of way. But Jason is neither reasonable nor responsible nor acting like an adult person, so he went out to falsely accuse at least 609 users. There is no post whatsoever indicating that "we" conspire against him, so it is quite eccentric of him to accuse this place for being responsible for it. But it's as it is. I guess we have to deal with people who are reality-challenged.

Now that he confessed to reading here, he is eligible for a ban at FTBlogs. Jason, the possible Rapist could team up with Justin, the alleged rape-enabler and become the Dynamic Duo Justin & Jason the Patriarchy Illusionists.

Apples

Post by Apples »

PZ wrote:But of course we have to accept the personal testimony of women’s experiences. In that case, it would have been totally injust to simply say, “oh, she’s a woman, therefore she’s lying”. Most rape accusations are not false, so a priori dismissals are inappropriate, and if that woman had gone to the authorities (she didn’t, because I immediately brought in witnesses to make her effort futile) I would sure as hell hope they’d treat both of our positions with equal seriousness.
Skep Tickle covered some of this above, but -- One thing PZ has in common with Zvan is that they are both very good at implying certain things without saying them directly and using artful equivocation to obscure contradictions or problematic ideas.

"Of course we have to accept the personal testimony of women's experiences." Okay. I suppose we have to "accept" the personal testimony of anyone's experience. Are women known to be more honest or accurate than men? Not that I know of. I think it's safe to assume we have no reason to assume there is a meaningful difference in the general truthiness of men vs. women.

"Oh she's a woman, therefore she's lying?" Strawman. I'm not hearing anybody say this. Of course the converse is also absurd -- she's a women, therefore she's telling the truth. Same for men.

"Most rape accusations are not false, so a priori dismissals are inappropriate." Another strawman. Who is claiming this? No one in my earshot. But since it's frequently a legal matter, and we know some percentage of accusations are false, a priori acceptance is also inappropriate. For example, if PZ had lacked witnesses to debunk his accuser's story, he would have been in a world of shit.

Now, there's a difference between situations where someone is being directly accused and where a person is simply recounting their experience (as was touched on by others earlier in the thread). If someone is offering it as a biographical fact about themselves and you have no reason to doubt their general honesty, there's little reason to be skeptical. If there is an accused person whose reputation and freedom is on the line, it's pretty important to get it right.

Of course you shouldn't doubt for no reason someone's story about being sexually assaulted, but the fact is that we are just as morally obligated to suss out false accusations as we are to respect and adjudicate true ones, if justice is to be done both for the many real victims and for the smaller number of falsely accused.

So PZ is obviously right -- it would indeed be misogyny to assume that women were always, or even commonly, lying when they talk about experiences with harassment or assault. But it would be unconscionably foolish (and sexist!) to assume that they are always telling the truth, as Justin and PZ have unambiguously proved today.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Everybody stop what you are doing! I just read Pharyngula and found out there are naked women on the internet! First a computer nerd said dongle, and then a teacher said vagina, and now pictures of naked women are appearing on the internet. What is this world coming to? What will happen next? I'm not sure I want to live in the world where people can just say things.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

I’ve been threatened with a false rape accusation, one that could have totally destroyed my career.

I took it very seriously and moved quickly to provide evidence that it was false.(1)

But of course we have to accept the personal testimony of women’s experiences. In that case, it would have been totally injust to simply say, “oh, she’s a woman, therefore she’s lying”(2). Most rape accusations are not false, so a priori dismissals are inappropriate, and if that woman had gone to the authorities (she didn’t, because I immediately brought in witnesses to make her effort futile) I would sure as hell hope they’d treat both of our positions with equal seriousness.
(1)It's great that PZ had "evidence" that proved his innocence. Our legal system does not work that way however. Suppose you had no evidence to prove the allegation false, PZ. What then? Would you now be lecturing convicts on biology in between rounds of "I hope I don't drop the soap"?

(2) No one is saying that she must be lying if she's a woman. That's a lovely strawman there. We as a society do not dismiss a priori. We investigate and either find evidence, or we do not. In some cases there is some, but not sufficient, evidence to proceed with trials. Our legal system is predicated on the principle that it is better to let 100 guilty people go free than to wrongly convict one person.

Apples

Post by Apples »

aaand cunt covered my point in two sentences. cunt.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Lousy Canuck, super warrior for social justice. Not, no totally not, a strange scumbag nerd who can't grow a beard and will never accomplish anything. Hashtag: loser. Hashtag: haunted by the past.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

If I had a blog, I would post this there. If we still had the ability to hide text, I'd box this up so y'all weren't faced with a wall of text. But given that neither of those is the case, here's my plasterboard commentary on PZ's talk (without reference to the "personal testimony" part covered elsewhere):

PZ’s talk in Seattle, “Moving Atheism Beyond Science”, was ~50 minutes, followed by an hour of Q&A then an opportunity to stand in line to talk with him one on one.

Quotes herein are my paraphrasing and/or impression of what he said, unless I specify that I’m giving a direct quote. Obviously this is my "personal testimony" about my experience of the event. ;) About 199 other people attended and the talk was videotaped, so presumably one could track down details from my report to confirm or refute, if desired.

PZ opened claiming that science can’t form the basis of morality, then spent 50% of his talk bashing science for obviously unethical medical experimentation on disenfranchised groups of humans from 40-70 yrs ago, ending with a 1996 Pfizer trial in Africa on children with meningitis, in which he clearly implied that Pfizer’s drug killed 11 children who wouldn’t have died if they’d been given the standard antibiotic therapy. He touched on animal experimentation and how difficult it is to decide where, quote, “the line” is; that led to several of the questions in Q&A and I heard several people interested in continuing that conversation afterwards.

Two comments about the first part of his talk:
1) I think he could have much more effectively illustrated his point by briefly touching on the past atrocities then focusing on modern examples, for example from medical genetics or from reproductive technologies (gender selection, etc) if he wanted to continue the medical theme. The historical litany seemed pointless after just a few minutes.

2) During the Q&A, I pointed out that PZ’s comments about the 1996 Pfizer study had been misleading; the deaths were 6/100 children in the standard therapy group and 5/100 in the Pfizer drug group, so while Pfizer acted illegally and unethically [based on standards in human experimentation], their drug did not kill 11 children. He backed away from his claim by saying (paraphrasing here) “Oh sure, sure. I didn’t say their drug actually killed children.”

The next ~40% was about how there are problems in the world, particularly climate change and overpopulation, and we (atheists/nontheists) have to move beyond science to address these problems. He gave an example of people (as I recall, the emphasis being on “scientists”) enthusing over methane hydrates as a new energy source but missing the point that combustion of this new source of methane would cause more carbon emissions. D’oh!

It’s funny how comments that sound sexist/classist can sneak in, even when the speaker presumably tries to avoid them. In this part of the talk, PZ said (paraphrasing) that “if we give women opportunities, they will…” have fewer children, etc, in the developing world ("opportunities" being economic opportunities like small businesses, and apparently also condoms for birth control). It was probably just the phrasing that he happened to use, but “helping societies increase economic opportunity in ways that have been shown to achieve [insert goals we think are good for them to have]” would have sounded better to me. Besides which, there are lots of past studies that would have helped provide evidence for education and (woman-controlled or inserted-and-left-in) contraception reduce birth rates and improve economic conditions; there may also be such literature about microfinance (I've only ever looked superficially at those studies) - IMO it would have been interesting to have more evidence presented in this part of the talk.

In the nearly 2 hrs of talk + Q&A, PZ explicitly mentioned (but didn’t dwell on) the importance of each of these:
  • critical thinking and skeptical inquiry;
  • recognizing the equality of all people;
  • eschewing dogma; and
  • not demonizing (or accepting demonization of, I can’t recall) those with whom we disagree

Late in the Q&A, after someone else had brought up The Rift (& PZ semi-joked that his side was right, of course), I stood up & said I understood Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland was planning to mediate finding common ground & asked what PZ's thinking was about that effort. PZ praised Michael but not this new project, then he (PZ) let loose with a demonizing appraisal of the other side (us, the slyme pit, etc). Paraphrasing here: “They’re people who've been banned from our [FtB etc] blogs and are mad about it, and they post the most awful photoshopped pictures of my head on gay porn, and they are horrible people, and they need to go away, and there is no point in trying to talk with them, and I’m going to tell Michael that in person in Ireland.” He made it sound like he was on the side of Truth, Justice, and Righteousness.

About half the audience applauded after this comment from him - presumably people already agreed with him on this and some who knew nothing of the rift and accepted his viewpoint.

Either in Q&A or to someone in the line ahead of me to talk to him afterwards, PZ said that he WANTS to see atheism split into 2 camps, 1 being the, quote, “right-wing, libertarian” people who only want to be atheists and (my interpretation) don't care about anyone else; and the liberal people who want to work on what he had just spoke about (and, by implication, are the ones who care about people, humanity, the world, & ethical action).

More personal testimony from me, which of course may not reflect what an "impartial observer" might have seen and may not at all reflect PZ's experience of our conversation: When it was my turn to talk with him in person after Q&A, I told him I'm liberal and I agreed with what he had said about critical thinking and equality and no dogma and no demonization, YET I am one of the people on the other side of the rift, and that's because I/we do not see those things in his side online. Not surprisingly he did not appear to react positively to this, said that all the people on the other side of the Rift post awful crude things like photoshopping his head onto gay porn. I said I didn't do that, and many of us don't, we just see dogma & a lack of skepticism from the other side, and isn't it interesting that we actually seem to be so close in views (based on that list of things above he'd said during the talk were so important). I interpreted what he said as completely rejecting that possibility.

He wanted to know whether I had spoken out against the photoshops, and I said something like people felt it was important for the 'pit not to restrict content, and that people who post at his site are vicious (I used a softer word, like “aggressive”) and that he has encouraged them to use their knives (rhetorically). He said something like No they just apply skeptical inquiry to the awful people who show up there. I brought up the porcupine meme & “go die in a fire” and he said the former had stopped completely and the guy who’d written the latter had apologized. He appeared, not surprisingly, to be angry at what I had to say, and didn’t appear to allow as how there might actually be some common ground.

Apples

Post by Apples »

EdwardGemmer wrote:I'm not sure I want to live in the world where people can just say things.
This!!! We live in a deeply sexist and misogynistic culture, and saying things is part of this culture. Saying things must be stopped, or at least significantly controlled by FTBers.

Incidentally, Gemmer, I learned on Twitter that you are not just a misogynist - you are an "active" misogynist.

Guestheist

Post by Guestheist »

As a person that has been sexually abused and wasn't believed (I'm a man) and also falsely accused of sexual assault two decades later, I can say that both cases are horrible. In the first case, the victim is re-victimized, and in the second an innocent person is accused of a heinous act and s/h/it credibility never fully recovers, the ever luming shadow-of-doubt. I think the false accusation was the biggest injustice in my case, and it never got to court.

I understand that Amanda Marcotte may have said something to the effect that presumption of innocence should not apply to rape. Having some *coof* reGreta virus... But, this public confesion from Jason and now from Myers, leave them very vulnerable and its very brave. I think.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Skep tickle wrote:If I had a blog, I would post this there. If we still had the ability to hide text, I'd box this up so y'all weren't faced with a wall of text. But given that neither of those is the case, here's my plasterboard commentary on PZ's talk (without reference to the "personal testimony" part covered elsewhere):

PZ’s talk in Seattle, “Moving Atheism Beyond Science”, was ~50 minutes, followed by an hour of Q&A then an opportunity to stand in line to talk with him one on one.

Quotes herein are my paraphrasing and/or impression of what he said, unless I specify that I’m giving a direct quote. Obviously this is my "personal testimony" about my experience of the event. ;) About 199 other people attended and the talk was videotaped, so presumably one could track down details from my report to confirm or refute, if desired.

PZ opened claiming that science can’t form the basis of morality, then spent 50% of his talk bashing science for obviously unethical medical experimentation on disenfranchised groups of humans from 40-70 yrs ago, ending with a 1996 Pfizer trial in Africa on children with meningitis, in which he clearly implied that Pfizer’s drug killed 11 children who wouldn’t have died if they’d been given the standard antibiotic therapy. He touched on animal experimentation and how difficult it is to decide where, quote, “the line” is; that led to several of the questions in Q&A and I heard several people interested in continuing that conversation afterwards.

Two comments about the first part of his talk:
1) I think he could have much more effectively illustrated his point by briefly touching on the past atrocities then focusing on modern examples, for example from medical genetics or from reproductive technologies (gender selection, etc) if he wanted to continue the medical theme. The historical litany seemed pointless after just a few minutes.

2) During the Q&A, I pointed out that PZ’s comments about the 1996 Pfizer study had been misleading; the deaths were 6/100 children in the standard therapy group and 5/100 in the Pfizer drug group, so while Pfizer acted illegally and unethically [based on standards in human experimentation], their drug did not kill 11 children. He backed away from his claim by saying (paraphrasing here) “Oh sure, sure. I didn’t say their drug actually killed children.”

The next ~40% was about how there are problems in the world, particularly climate change and overpopulation, and we (atheists/nontheists) have to move beyond science to address these problems. He gave an example of people (as I recall, the emphasis being on “scientists”) enthusing over methane hydrates as a new energy source but missing the point that combustion of this new source of methane would cause more carbon emissions. D’oh!

It’s funny how comments that sound sexist/classist can sneak in, even when the speaker presumably tries to avoid them. In this part of the talk, PZ said (paraphrasing) that “if we give women opportunities, they will…” have fewer children, etc, in the developing world ("opportunities" being economic opportunities like small businesses, and apparently also condoms for birth control). It was probably just the phrasing that he happened to use, but “helping societies increase economic opportunity in ways that have been shown to achieve [insert goals we think are good for them to have]” would have sounded better to me. Besides which, there are lots of past studies that would have helped provide evidence for education and (woman-controlled or inserted-and-left-in) contraception reduce birth rates and improve economic conditions; there may also be such literature about microfinance (I've only ever looked superficially at those studies) - IMO it would have been interesting to have more evidence presented in this part of the talk.

In the nearly 2 hrs of talk + Q&A, PZ explicitly mentioned (but didn’t dwell on) the importance of each of these:
  • critical thinking and skeptical inquiry;
  • recognizing the equality of all people;
  • eschewing dogma; and
  • not demonizing (or accepting demonization of, I can’t recall) those with whom we disagree

Late in the Q&A, after someone else had brought up The Rift (& PZ semi-joked that his side was right, of course), I stood up & said I understood Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland was planning to mediate finding common ground & asked what PZ's thinking was about that effort. PZ praised Michael but not this new project, then he (PZ) let loose with a demonizing appraisal of the other side (us, the slyme pit, etc). Paraphrasing here: “They’re people who've been banned from our [FtB etc] blogs and are mad about it, and they post the most awful photoshopped pictures of my head on gay porn, and they are horrible people, and they need to go away, and there is no point in trying to talk with them, and I’m going to tell Michael that in person in Ireland.” He made it sound like he was on the side of Truth, Justice, and Righteousness.

About half the audience applauded after this comment from him - presumably people already agreed with him on this and some who knew nothing of the rift and accepted his viewpoint.

Either in Q&A or to someone in the line ahead of me to talk to him afterwards, PZ said that he WANTS to see atheism split into 2 camps, 1 being the, quote, “right-wing, libertarian” people who only want to be atheists and (my interpretation) don't care about anyone else; and the liberal people who want to work on what he had just spoke about (and, by implication, are the ones who care about people, humanity, the world, & ethical action).

More personal testimony from me, which of course may not reflect what an "impartial observer" might have seen and may not at all reflect PZ's experience of our conversation: When it was my turn to talk with him in person after Q&A, I told him I'm liberal and I agreed with what he had said about critical thinking and equality and no dogma and no demonization, YET I am one of the people on the other side of the rift, and that's because I/we do not see those things in his side online. Not surprisingly he did not appear to react positively to this, said that all the people on the other side of the Rift post awful crude things like photoshopping his head onto gay porn. I said I didn't do that, and many of us don't, we just see dogma & a lack of skepticism from the other side, and isn't it interesting that we actually seem to be so close in views (based on that list of things above he'd said during the talk were so important). I interpreted what he said as completely rejecting that possibility.

He wanted to know whether I had spoken out against the photoshops, and I said something like people felt it was important for the 'pit not to restrict content, and that people who post at his site are vicious (I used a softer word, like “aggressive”) and that he has encouraged them to use their knives (rhetorically). He said something like No they just apply skeptical inquiry to the awful people who show up there. I brought up the porcupine meme & “go die in a fire” and he said the former had stopped completely and the guy who’d written the latter had apologized. He appeared, not surprisingly, to be angry at what I had to say, and didn’t appear to allow as how there might actually be some common ground.
Check ur messages :D please

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Skep tickle wrote:If I had a blog, I would post this there.

<snip>
Excellent post. Would read again. :clap:

Apples

Post by Apples »

aaaand I said "Justin" in my post above when I meant "Jason." Don't be fooled by their game when they rape your daughter.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I have discovered a factual error in my long post above.

I was seated, not standing, when I asked about the Nugent project. (I had stood for the Pfizer fact-check comment, and I stood while speaking 1 on 1 with PZ after Q&A). So when I wrote above, "I stood up & said..." that was erroneous.

My apologies for having misled any readers about that part.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

So, PZ claimed we have to move beyond science to solve problems like climate change and overpopulation? Um, what? We can't solve those things without a science-based approach, are we just supposed to "feel" the global warming away?

His hard-line stance on the "rifts" is not surprising, neither is the fact that people who agree with him fundamentally continue to want to try and push this meme that people who disagree with PZ and his friends and their shameful tactics (doxxing, hypocrisy with sexual slurs and online criticism etc) want to try and continue this outright demonstrably false meme that we're all a bunch of raging right-wingers just because we criticize some of the dogma and assertions made by modern 3rd wave feminist and social sciences thought.

Shit, look at me: I'm so fucking right wing I seriously considered voting for Jill Stein last November.

Guestheist

Post by Guestheist »

BTW, I mention Amanda Marcotte in that comment, but forgot to say it is a horrendous thing to say. But my point is that position is as bad as assuming a rape allegation is false. The only sensible possition is to withhold any opinion for as long as it may be neccesary. Believe me. I know. I know.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

LMU wrote:Do you mean that the number of unreported rapes is larger than the number of false accusations? How would we know that? How do we have figures on either number?
Even if we didn't know, it is still a corrupt assumption that one anecdote cancels another or one issue outweighs the other. <snip> more: appropriate thread, in case you intend to chase it down.

cunt

Post by cunt »

So, basically, he lied his fat arse off knowing that a mention of photoshop would conjure up some bizarre images in the audiences mind. They clapped like seals, and went off to browse the "me wuv darwin" t-shirts.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

16bitheretic wrote:So, PZ claimed we have to move beyond science to solve problems like climate change and overpopulation? Um, what? We can't solve those things without a science-based approach, are we just supposed to "feel" the global warming away?

His hard-line stance on the "rifts" is not surprising, neither is the fact that people who agree with him fundamentally continue to want to try and push this meme that people who disagree with PZ and his friends and their shameful tactics (doxxing, hypocrisy with sexual slurs and online criticism etc) want to try and continue this outright demonstrably false meme that we're all a bunch of raging right-wingers just because we criticize some of the dogma and assertions made by modern 3rd wave feminist and social sciences thought.

Shit, look at me: I'm so fucking right wing I seriously considered voting for Jill Stein last November.
*looks up Jill Stein* oh, haha

One could have walked away from his talk with the impression that the "science" approach to methane hydrates is that they're an "alternative" energy source so burning them is good.

And that it would take an "atheist" to see that burning methane creates CO2 and that may not be a good thing?????

(Not that he spelled it out that way. He just spelled out the first part.)

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

I can't wait for some smart apple snake oil salesman like WLC to quote the "personal testimony" line by his Pezusness and line up a hundred women to claim they "experienced" God. Instant win.

Guestheist

Post by Guestheist »

This false dichotomy is a difficult subject for me. I guess, since we don't live in a perfect world, the presumption of innocence for rape should be the standard, like for every other fucking crime, ever.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

justinvacula wrote:It's quite strange that there are many pictures on #aacon13 consider American Atheists' conference policy stipulates that cell phones and electronic devices be turned off during conference sessions.
Please respect the sessions and the speakers. Turn off cell phones and other electronic devices, take conversations and noisy children outside the session room, and move to the center of your row to make room for other attendees.
Ridiculous policies are ridiculous. I suppose they'll only be enforced when people feel like it, huh?
Well, you're supposed to know they didn't mean cellphone cameras, silly

:roll: :lol:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

16bitheretic wrote:So, PZ claimed we have to move beyond science to solve problems like climate change and overpopulation? Um, what? We can't solve those things without a science-based approach, are we just supposed to "feel" the global warming away?
I wondered what that was supposed to mean as well. If "moving beyond science" means taking personal responsibility to address problems related to climate change and overpopulation, then what exactly are PZ, the other FtBers, and their sycophants doing? Simple things like turning down speaking engagements on other continents, ensuring that conferences are environmentally responsible, and educating people about contraception and family planning/making contraceptives available, definitely count.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Aneris wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Jason is a reasonable and responsible person. He read the allegation and looked up the IP address. Upon realizing that it could be a regular user at the Slymepit, he reached out to its admin, Lsuoma, to test his hypothesis and to ask which user it was, so the matter could be handled in a civil and adult kind of way. But Jason is neither reasonable nor responsible nor acting like an adult person, so he went out to falsely accuse at least 609 users. There is no post whatsoever indicating that "we" conspire against him, so it is quite eccentric of him to accuse this place for being responsible for it. But it's as it is. I guess we have to deal with people who are reality-challenged.

Now that he confessed to reading here, he is eligible for a ban at FTBlogs. Jason, the possible Rapist could team up with Justin, the alleged rape-enabler and become the Dynamic Duo Justin & Jason the Patriarchy Illusionists.
No, that IP really tracks back to a Baptist Church http://iplocation.truevue.org/98.89.26.128.html
He needs to quit blaming atheists for all his woes

Apples

Post by Apples »

Guestheist wrote:As a person that has been sexually abused and wasn't believed (I'm a man) and also falsely accused of sexual assault two decades later, I can say that both cases are horrible. In the first case, the victim is re-victimized, and in the second an innocent person is accused of a heinous act and s/h/it credibility never fully recovers, the ever luming shadow-of-doubt. I think the false accusation was the biggest injustice in my case, and it never got to court.

I understand that Amanda Marcotte may have said something to the effect that presumption of innocence should not apply to rape. Having some *coof* reGreta virus... But, this public confesion from Jason and now from Myers, leave them very vulnerable and its very brave. I think.
I'm a guy who was sexually harassed by a male boss (who was married with kids, prominent in his community) on and off for a couple of years, and my stepmother didn't believe me when I told her. I never reported it, because it was a good job and he was otherwise a really good guy -- didn't want to screw up my life, and ruin his, unless absolutely necessary. He eventually laid off, after a hell of a lot of tense confrontations.

I've never been accused of a sexual assault, but I did have a girlfriend who blocked the stairs when I was trying to leave the apartment to walk off some steam during an argument. I told her to let me by, and she threatened to get a restraining order against me. I had to explain to her that it was actually illegal for her to prevent me from leaving the apartment and she had no grounds for a restraining order.

Turns out her sister had once gotten a restraining order against a boyfriend who had cheated on her -- no, he hadn't (according to the sister herself) done anything other than cheat on her, but (with her father's encouragement) in order to support her case for the order she accused him of threatening her. I was actually amazed she admitted this to me, but she was smug about it and seemed proud of herself. She was a bit of a sociopath.

The moral of the story is: Fuck PZ and his army of sexist, doubletalking fembots, whatever their gender identities.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Submariner wrote:I can't wait for some smart apple snake oil salesman like WLC to quote the "personal testimony" line by his Pezusness and line up a hundred women to claim they "experienced" God. Instant win.
Quite apt, since God is also a rapist. He didn't ask Maria for consent.