Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Submariner

Re: false consciousness

Post by Submariner »

Jan Steen wrote: This quote, on Wikipedia, is apparently representative of her work:
[T]he universalist kyriocentric rhetoric of Euro-American elite men does not simply reinforce the dominance of the male sex, but it legitimates the imperial "White Father" or, in black idiom, the enslaving "Boss-Man" as the universal subject. By implication, any critical theory — be it critical race, feminist, liberationist, or Marxist theory — that articulates gender, class, or race difference as a primary and originary difference masks the complex interstructuring of kyriarchal dominations inscribed in the subject positions of individual wo/men and in the status positions of dominance and subordination between wo/men. It also masks the participation of white elite wo/men, or better "ladies," and of Christian religion in kyriarchal oppression, insofar as both have served as civilizing colonialist conduits of kyriarchal knowledges, values, and culture.
This is the pseudoscience that proclaims that minorities cannot be racist and that women cannot be sexist. It's what Feyman called cargo-cult science.

Arrgghh, is that even English? It literally makes NO SENSE. It's jargonized pomo pseudo babble.

John Brown

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by John Brown »

Jack wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/tPEa4N5.jpg

More non-offensive pics in accord with conduct policy.... with Greta Christina

http://eventifier.co/event/aacon13/?page=3
It's a good thing there's no sexualized clothing, you know, like half-naked men, or people being deliberately offensive to religious beliefs there.
I'm having a bit more trouble with the skimask stuff. Triggering (and for once, I'm not joking). Basque and Corsican independentists wear those shits all the time. Got my windows blown off by a Corsican bomb at the Nice Tresor Public office in the early 2000's. Also got a run on protection against Basque terrorists while serving in 1997.

Thos skimasks are not cool. Not. Cool.
IRA and Loyalists too. And those who have their heads sliced off by Muslim fanatics. First world problems, first world considerations. They need to get a passport and actually go to these places and get out of their Hotel rooms. I wonder how many going to AI will cross the border?
How much more tone deaf could they possibly be? Is Greta Christina one of the people in this picture?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Jack wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/tPEa4N5.jpg

More non-offensive pics in accord with conduct policy.... with Greta Christina

http://eventifier.co/event/aacon13/?page=3
It's a good thing there's no sexualized clothing, you know, like half-naked men, or people being deliberately offensive to religious beliefs there.
I'm having a bit more trouble with the skimask stuff. Triggering (and for once, I'm not joking). Basque and Corsican independentists wear those shits all the time. Got my windows blown off by a Corsican bomb at the Nice Tresor Public office in the early 2000's. Also got a run on protection against Basque terrorists while serving in 1997.

Thos skimasks are not cool. Not. Cool.
IRA and Loyalists too. And those who have their heads sliced off by Muslim fanatics. First world problems, first world considerations. They need to get a passport and actually go to these places and get out of their Hotel rooms. I wonder how many going to AI will cross the border?
I dont get it. 'Fuck the Pope' isnt edgy. US Catholics dont go out and mob/arrest/imprison people who speak out against the Pope (certainly not with the governments blessing), so why the ski masks? Its not like theyre saying 'FUCK ALLAH!' in the middle of Cairo. It would have also made more sense a couple months ago. Benedict was a cunt. New Dude, while in no way perfect, is an improvement. I only watch Argentine news, and from what Ive heard, Id def take this guy over someone like Benny.

And I dont even know where to start on the ugly colors of ski masks and, for some reason, tights and extremely unflattering dresses? ReGreta, the fashionista, would look much better in a 3/4 or full-sleeved wrap dress. Those are pretty much universally flattering (thank you Diane von Fürstenberg), while cap-sleeved baby-doll dresses... are not. Im afraid her arms are going to turn blue and fall off.

sacha

Re: Slymepit fundraiser for Muttville Senior Dog Rescue

Post by sacha »

Michael K Gray wrote:
sacha wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
sacha wrote:Slymepit fundraiser for Muttville Senior Dog Rescue
any amount will make a difference. please help them[/b]
Done.
I hope you lot feel guilty now.
You know how to assuage that feeling.
1) Get Drunk
2) Donate
love you, MKG
Just doin' it. Doggie-style.
oh yeah baby

I will have an updated donation link in a few hours. I am not happy that the Causes website does not take PayPal, and I'm not happy that it forces one to choose a specific amount ($10 US $25 US $50 US). One should be able do donate whatever amount they choose. (especially for those of us who never donate round numbers)

I apologise for the difficulty. The site was recommended by the director of donations.

Does anyone remember what website Renee used for the Smiles fundraiser?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

It also masks the participation of white elite wo/men, or better "ladies,"
Is "ladies" the 'scientific' term for "chill girls"?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

John Brown wrote:How much more tone deaf could they possibly be? Is Greta Christina one of the people in this picture?
Shes the one with severe bruise? tattoo on her chest.

Ski-mask-to-hide-identity-FAIL

cunt

Post by cunt »

I dont get it. 'Fuck the Pope' isnt edgy. US Catholics dont go out and mob/arrest/imprison people who speak out against the Pope (certainly not with the governments blessing), so why the ski masks? Its not like theyre saying 'FUCK ALLAH!' in the middle of Cairo. It would have also made more sense a couple months ago. Benedict was a cunt. New Dude, while in no way perfect, is an improvement. I only watch Argentine news, and from what Ive heard, Id def take this guy over someone like Benny.

And I dont even know where to start on the ugly colors of ski masks and, for some reason, tights and extremely unflattering dresses? ReGreta, the fashionista, would look much better in a 3/4 or full-sleeved wrap dress. Those are pretty much universally flattering (thank you Diane von Fürstenberg), while cap-sleeved baby-doll dresses... are not. Im afraid her arms are going to turn blue and fall off.
Trying to show solidarity with Pussy Riot, the russian punk rock activist outfit known for their garish clothes and bright balaclavas.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Jan Steen wrote:
It also masks the participation of white elite wo/men, or better "ladies,"
Is "ladies" the 'scientific' term for "chill girls"?
In fairness to the Pharyngulanhas, they don't actually officially subscribe to kyriarchy theory - more feminist intersectionality and a bunch of stuff inspired by the same instinct that inspires kyriarchy. These links apparently contain the universal citations to all their claims, which is I guess why Turd of Redhead never feels obligated to provide EVIDENCE for anything he says:

http://pharyngula.wikia.com/wiki/Econom ... _economics
http://pharyngula.wikia.com/wiki/Feminist_link_roundup

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Slymepit fundraiser for Muttville Senior Dog Rescue

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote:
I will have an updated donation link in a few hours. I am not happy that the Causes website does not take PayPal, and I'm not happy that it forces one to choose a specific amount ($10 US $25 US $50 US). One should be able do donate whatever amount they choose. (especially for those of us who never donate round numbers)

I apologise for the difficulty. The site was recommended by the director of donations.

Does anyone remember what website Renee used for the Smiles fundraiser?
Operation Smile.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

cunt wrote:

Trying to show solidarity with Pussy Riot, the russian punk rock activist outfit known for their garish clothes and bright balaclavas.
1. If I am ever jailed for political purposes, and all you assholes do is put on some unflattering clothes and party at a 'MAGIC: The Gathering' conference I will be *very* upset.

2. What does the Pope have to do with Pussy Riot? Russians are Orthodox Christians, not Catholics. What am I missing?

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

I do hope they wear those signs and masks around town at the Irish convention thing coming up.

cunt

Post by cunt »

ERV wrote:
cunt wrote:

1. If I am ever jailed for political purposes, and all you assholes do is put on some unflattering clothes and party at a 'MAGIC: The Gathering' conference I will be *very* upset.

2. What does the Pope have to do with Pussy Riot? Russians are Orthodox Christians, not Catholics. What am I missing?
Nothing really, it's a dumb pic but that's what they were *trying* to do.

You could probably rationalise it away. No, we were protesting the coptic orthodox pope. Saying fuck the pope, and meaning the catholic pope, is in line with Pussy Riots ideology etc etc. They were playing dress-up and thought they'd write something edgy on the sign.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Cosplay?

Southern

Post by Southern »

ERV wrote:
cunt wrote:

Silly Abbie, of course they're talking about the Orthodox Pope, or as Wikipedia says it's his full title: Pope and Lord Archbishop of the Great City of Alexandria and Patriarch of All Africa on the Holy Orthodox and Apostolic Throne of Saint Mark the Evangelist and Holy Apostle that is, in Egypt, Pentapolis, Libya, Nubia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea and all Africa..

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Southern wrote:Silly Abbie, of course they're talking about the Orthodox Pope, or as Wikipedia says it's his full title: Pope and Lord Archbishop of the Great City of Alexandria and Patriarch of All Africa on the Holy Orthodox and Apostolic Throne of Saint Mark the Evangelist and Holy Apostle that is, in Egypt, Pentapolis, Libya, Nubia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea and all Africa..
Thats not the Orthodox Christian garb. That is Catholic.
http://distilleryimage3.s3.amazonaws.co ... 98fe_7.jpg

Sorry, I am just a retard when it comes to religion. I grew up on Greek/Roman/Egyptian myths, no Christian/Jewish/otherwise upbringing. I knew Moses from 'The Ten Commandments'. This is me:
Ned: Well...?
Todd: I know!
Ned: No, son, we've got to let Bart and Lisa get one. Come on, this
one's easy.
Lisa: [pause] We give up.
Ned: Well, guess! Book of Revelations, fire-breathing lion's head,
tail made out of snakes...who else is it going to be?
Bart: [unsure] Jesus?
But even I know there is a difference between Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians. Its just ignorance, not 'edgy'.

Apples

stereotype threat narrative

Post by Apples »

So this is one of the Pharyngula wiki's sources on "Stereotype Threat" in stem fields. The methodology of the study discussed is .... interesting.
They had male and female scientists at a research university wear the audio recorders and go about their work. When the scientists analyzed the audio samples, they found there was a pattern in the way the male and female professors talked to one another.

When male scientists talked to other scientists about their research, it energized them. But it was a different story for women.

"For women, the pattern was just the opposite, specifically in their conversations with male colleagues," Schmader said. "So the more women in their conversations with male colleagues were talking about research, the more disengaged they reported being in their work."

Disengagement predicts that someone is at risk of dropping out.

There was another sign of trouble.

When female scientists talked to other female scientists, they sounded perfectly competent. But when they talked to male colleagues, Mehl and Schmader found that they sounded less competent.

One obvious explanation was that the men were being nasty to their female colleagues and throwing them off their game. Mehl and Schmader checked the tapes.

"We don't have any evidence that there is anything that men are saying to make this happen," Schmader said.

But the audiotapes did provide a clue about what was going on. When the male and female scientists weren't talking about work, the women reported feeling more engaged.

For Mehl and Schmader, this was the smoking gun that an insidious psychological phenomenon called "stereotype threat" was at work. It could potentially explain the disparity between men and women pursuing science and math careers.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

http://golem13.fr/wp-content/uploads/20 ... sica01.jpg

I hope Justin Vacula's relatives escaped OK!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

http://i.imgur.com/tPEa4N5.jpg

I bet we won't get to see a "FUCK MOHAMMED" sign.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ERV wrote:
Southern wrote:Silly Abbie, of course they're talking about the Orthodox Pope, or as Wikipedia says it's his full title: Pope and Lord Archbishop of the Great City of Alexandria and Patriarch of All Africa on the Holy Orthodox and Apostolic Throne of Saint Mark the Evangelist and Holy Apostle that is, in Egypt, Pentapolis, Libya, Nubia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea and all Africa..
Thats not the Orthodox Christian garb. That is Catholic.
http://distilleryimage3.s3.amazonaws.co ... 98fe_7.jpg

Sorry, I am just a retard when it comes to religion. I grew up on Greek/Roman/Egyptian myths, no Christian/Jewish/otherwise upbringing. I knew Moses from 'The Ten Commandments'. This is me:
Ned: Well...?
Todd: I know!
Ned: No, son, we've got to let Bart and Lisa get one. Come on, this
one's easy.
Lisa: [pause] We give up.
Ned: Well, guess! Book of Revelations, fire-breathing lion's head,
tail made out of snakes...who else is it going to be?
Bart: [unsure] Jesus?
But even I know there is a difference between Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians. Its just ignorance, not 'edgy'.
But Abbie, the Popes are all the same. The same.

Also, the new Catholic Pope is an Argentinian. He deserves all the flack he gets. Fuck him. And fuck Maradona too, that second-grade soccer material.

Guestheist

Post by Guestheist »

Thanks for that "Stereotype Threat" link, Apples.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Besides, everybody knows that we'll accept only one Pope: Pope PeeZee I, Pope and Lord Archbishop of the Great City of Pharyngula and Patriarch of All Freetought on the Holy Orthodox and Apostolic Throne of Saint Squid the Evangelist and Holy Octopus.

I saw you writing some unflattering words about Pope PeeZee, Abbie. Repent now, or there will be consequences. I hope you don't go near any shore for the time being; the octopuses, they are listening to the prayers of our Pope. And they will come unto thyself as they would come over a hentai manga schoolgirl.

JackSkeptic

Re: stereotype threat narrative

Post by JackSkeptic »

Apples wrote:So this is one of the Pharyngula wiki's sources on "Stereotype Threat" in stem fields. The methodology of the study discussed is .... interesting.
They had male and female scientists at a research university wear the audio recorders and go about their work. When the scientists analyzed the audio samples, they found there was a pattern in the way the male and female professors talked to one another.

When male scientists talked to other scientists about their research, it energized them. But it was a different story for women.

"For women, the pattern was just the opposite, specifically in their conversations with male colleagues," Schmader said. "So the more women in their conversations with male colleagues were talking about research, the more disengaged they reported being in their work."

When female scientists talked to other female scientists, they sounded perfectly competent. But when they talked to male colleagues, Mehl and Schmader found that they sounded less competent.

One obvious explanation was that the men were being nasty to their female colleagues and throwing them off their game. Mehl and Schmader checked the tapes.

"We don't have any evidence that there is anything that men are saying to make this happen," Schmader said.

But the audiotapes did provide a clue about what was going on. When the male and female scientists weren't talking about work, the women reported feeling more engaged.

For Mehl and Schmader, this was the smoking gun that an insidious psychological phenomenon called "stereotype threat" was at work. It could potentially explain the disparity between men and women pursuing science and math careers.
Erm, where's the science in this? What other conditions may have influenced the results? What was the sample size? What were the results? Where was it? Are there local cultural influences? It may be right but that report shows nothing more than perhaps something to test..scientifically.

Is that their evidence?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

mordacious1 wrote:RE: The rape whistle commercial

If all men are rapists, or potential rapists, wouldn't blowing a rape whistle just create a line?
I think if I was in a different mood I would find that funny.

Anyway,

In any event the question I have to ask is who benefits from this type of scare mongering?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: stereotype threat narrative

Post by Jan Steen »

Apples wrote:So this is one of the Pharyngula wiki's sources on "Stereotype Threat" in stem fields. The methodology of the study discussed is .... interesting.

Let's see: Well-defined control groups, measurable parameters, unambiguous terminology, elimination of bias. All conspicuous by their absence.

No, you don't have to be a creationist to deny that this is a proper scientific study.

comslave

Post by comslave »

mordacious1 wrote:RE: The rape whistle commercial

If all men are rapists, or potential rapists, wouldn't blowing a rape whistle just create a line?

And tweet it.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

@ Jack:
I didn't see the cast for the FfTB "side" of the discussion posted anywhere, but a commenter from there mentioned "all named people" on their side.

Have they released the participants nyms/names yet?

welch

Post by welch »

Percentage wrote:I'm going back a few pages here, but I have to say I am fascinated by the fact that Peezus and Thibeault both claim to have been falsely accused of rape. I had no idea. Assuming they're telling the truth, it's very interesting that two of FfTB's most prominent male bloggers have admitted to being on the end of a false accusation.

I mean, I've never been accused of rape. I've never had anyone threaten to accuse me of rape. I've never had anyone accuse me of harassment or any untoward behavior whatsoever. And I've always sort of thought this was because I'm not an asshole, I don't push boundaries, and I avoid gray areas with this sort of thing. But I'd imagine the same is true for the dutiful male feminists of FtB. So, I dunno, maybe I've just gotten lucky?

Huh. I had previously dismissed them as ranting loons, but maybe the MRAs are onto something after all. Thanks, PZ!

No kidding. I mean, to have that happen to two such bastions of feminism. It boggles.

Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

[youtube]JrK_HVGOnUo[/youtube]

Felt like this held some relevance to FtB style feminism

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

AndrewV69
I think if I was in a different mood I would find that funny.
Yes, I have had a stressful weekend and while under stress my humor tends to be dark.

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:
John Brown wrote:How much more tone deaf could they possibly be? Is Greta Christina one of the people in this picture?
Shes the one with severe bruise? tattoo on her chest.

Ski-mask-to-hide-identity-FAIL
Wait, wait, that's her? Because going by all the nattering on about going to the gym and working out, and talking about definition she does, I was expecting someone a bit more...muscular.

Unless she's one of the one-pound winnies who go on and on about "toning" and wouldn't know a proper squat or bench press if you buggered her with it.

The one in the middle looks more like someone who works out

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

DownThunder wrote:So its all quite possible that Myers or Thibeault have been accused in some way, but its hard to imagine them being dragged through the legal system without learning some pretty damn hard lessons about the risk of being falsely accused.
I tend to agree.

First, I have read too many accounts of a FRA to automatically disbelieve any man now who says he was accused. It appears to happen to often for me to doubt it.

Second, a lot of the guys who show up in the manosphere after a FRA are "shell shocked" and very angry and bitter after going through the legal process, so I really doubt that those two went through it.

Without exception it is a paradigm shifting event that a normal guy never recovers from. I think you would have to be one of the most idologically commited elite for that not to happen.

Not that it does not hapen either. Here is an example of someone with a commitment that nothing, and I mean nothing will ever change. Erm... excuse me but WTF would a Hatian care about Malcom X? Clueless woman is clueless.
http://www.race-talk.org/we-are-not-you ... are-women/
Two weeks ago, on a Monday morning, I started to write what I thought was a very clever editorial about violence against women in Haiti. The case, I believed, was being overstated by women’s organizations in need of additional resources. Ever committed to preserving the dignity of Black men in a world which constantly stereotypes them as violent savages, I viewed this writing as yet one more opportunity to fight “the man” on behalf of my brothers. That night, before I could finish the piece, I was held on a rooftop in Haiti and raped repeatedly by one of the very men who I had spent the bulk of my life advocating for.

It hurt. The experience was almost more than I could bear. I begged him to stop. Afraid he would kill me, I pleaded with him to honor my commitment to Haiti, to him as a brother in the mutual struggle for an end to our common oppression, but to no avail. He didn’t care that I was a Malcolm X scholar. He told me to shut up, and then slapped me in the face. Overpowered, I gave up fighting halfway through the night.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Aren't they appropriating Russian culture? OMFG, talk about cultural insensitivity.

Can someone ban those pictures?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Pitchguest wrote:
Yeah, Shark Tried. Intolerance. That's the word. Now peddle your 'people affected with HIV shouldn't have to disclose their disease to people they have sex with as it's discrimination' elsewhere.
Y'know, normally I'm all for inviting these people to the 'pit, but... yeah, no. That person has a heckuvalot of weird beliefs.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Hemisphere wrote:JrK_HVGOnUo

Felt like this held some relevance to FtB style feminism
well done.

Zenspace

Re: shit just got real over at Tibbydoo's

Post by Zenspace »

Guest wrote: your system ip is going to be local, likely following these patterns ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network ) and assigned by your router or your isp to your modem. you'll never find it listed and located externally

your external ip is identifiable by looking at the right place in your router, or simply searching for 'ip address' on google
Ah! That approach gave much more accurate results, about 7 miles away this time. That narrows it down to about 50,000 people or so (high population density in these parts!)

Thanks, its been so long since I'd done that I had forgotten how.

Aneris

Re: false consciousness

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:If Kyriarchy Theory is as well established as the Theory of Evolution, then its creator, Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, must be the Charles Darwin of Kyriarchy Theory.[...]
She is also a Theologian, which in this instance, makes her an appropriate candidate to illustrate where Ad Hominems are rhetorically reasonable. She may still be right, in principle, yet being a Theologian undermines her ethos as a viable source.
Profile wrote:Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, Krister Stendahl Professor of Divinity, has done pioneering work in biblical interpretation and feminist theology. Her teaching and research focus on questions of biblical and theological epistemology, hermeneutics, rhetoric, and the politics of interpretation, as well as on issues of theological education, radical equality, and democracy.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

If you want to know the difference between FfTB and the 'Pit, read the thread below. Trigger Warning for tediousness, self-congratulatory wanking, and lack of imagination. Bonus point if you can be bothered to work out what percentage of posts are by Caine.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -in-there/

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

PZ tweets me, demonstrably wrong:

http://i.imgur.com/rgqXb1P.jpg

The American Atheists conference policy doesn't state this. It clearly states

"Turn off cell phones and other electronic devices…”

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:If you want to know the difference between FfTB and the 'Pit, read the thread below. Trigger Warning for tediousness, self-congratulatory wanking, and lack of imagination. Bonus point if you can be bothered to work out what percentage of posts are by Caine.

Now see, of all the FfTB posts I've read in the last year (admittedly that is very few, since I quit going there) this thread made the most sense. A little light humor at the expense of the christians on easter, that's what atheists should be doing, not going after each other with rabid claims of sexism. I'd rather read this kind of stuff than Schroedinger's Rapist and the utter crap PZ and Ophie have been cranking out lately. I don't have a problem with that thread.*shrugs*

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

American Atheists' conference policy was clearly violated - evidenced by the live Tweeting and the photography (and maybe even the "Fuck the Pope" sign and the revealing costumes as others here speculated). It doesn't matter whether the intent is to merely silence phones or whatever nonsense we are hearing. The policy clearly states items and is expected to be followed by conference attendees. Didn't we learn intent isn't magic :o

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

One thing that has been interesting me lately.

I'm on a group for Black Atheists or some shit - I've been on it for ages, not because of any particular desire to show racial solidarity (ugh) or that kind of shit, but because they post a lot of sweet memes and Dawkins and Hitchens love which I am deffo a fan of. There's also no social justice wank in there that I've seen. It's basically just a bunch of atheists who just happen to be black or want to join a black atheist group posting atheist and skeptic shit. (Yeah, they do promote black atheists, including the brain dead ones, but so it seems do other organisations so I can't hold that against them.)

It's a fairly large group but I've never seen any reference to the "great divide" in atheism on there. It's surprising to me that it hasn't spread to (presumably) one of the minority groups they are trying to target.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

justinvacula wrote:American Atheists' conference policy was clearly violated - evidenced by the live Tweeting and the photography (and maybe even the "Fuck the Pope" sign and the revealing costumes as others here speculated). It doesn't matter whether the intent is to merely silence phones or whatever nonsense we are hearing. The policy clearly states items and is expected to be followed by conference attendees. Didn't we learn intent isn't magic :o
This really is hilarious. Thank goodness though there was a policy of some kind, even if it was ignored and stupid. Because... womynz.

Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

For Percentage, are you implying that being accused of rape falsely is more about the victim of the accusation being an asshole and not about the accuser being an asshole? There's something called outright lies. People may lie for attention, for revenge, or to silence someone. Also for perks.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

rayshul wrote:One thing that has been interesting me lately.

I'm on a group for Black Atheists or some shit - I've been on it for ages, not because of any particular desire to show racial solidarity (ugh) or that kind of shit, but because they post a lot of sweet memes and Dawkins and Hitchens love which I am deffo a fan of. There's also no social justice wank in there that I've seen. It's basically just a bunch of atheists who just happen to be black or want to join a black atheist group posting atheist and skeptic shit. (Yeah, they do promote black atheists, including the brain dead ones, but so it seems do other organisations so I can't hold that against them.)

It's a fairly large group but I've never seen any reference to the "great divide" in atheism on there. It's surprising to me that it hasn't spread to (presumably) one of the minority groups they are trying to target.
Just a note as far as the "great divide" goes: r/atheism on reddit is without a doubt the world's largest online atheism discussion forum with 1.8 million+ members. r/atheismplus has about 3,000 members, which equals a .0016% of reddit's atheist traffic. We've already seen the graphs of Pharyngula's popularity decline and even though Richard Carrier seems to want to try and resurrect A+, it seems like it's just floating on life support until their hosting contract expires. And although this forum moves pretty fast we do only have around 600 members. All these groups pale in numbers compared to the attendance numbers for things like the Reason Rally or the sales numbers for books like God Delusion and God is not Great.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

rayshul wrote:
justinvacula wrote:American Atheists' conference policy was clearly violated - evidenced by the live Tweeting and the photography (and maybe even the "Fuck the Pope" sign and the revealing costumes as others here speculated). It doesn't matter whether the intent is to merely silence phones or whatever nonsense we are hearing. The policy clearly states items and is expected to be followed by conference attendees. Didn't we learn intent isn't magic :o
This really is hilarious. Thank goodness though there was a policy of some kind, even if it was ignored and stupid. Because... womynz.
You know, I would ordinarily wave this off as Vacula being pedantic, but the FfTB's crowd made the lack of policies such a big fucking deal, that I'm gonna have to side with Vacula on this one. Why have policies at conferences and not enforce them?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

For whatever it is worth, I posted this at Zvan's blog (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... re-issues/):
While it remains a wholly valid exercise to vigorously disagree with the statements posted at Nugent's blog / website, it might behoove some of you to actually read what has been posted, and ponder those posts for a bit (rather than just kneejerking like an out of control Atlas rocket), both from Zvan, and from Jack, and instead of just pouncing with the blood-dripping jaws of angry self-righteousness, presumptive assumption, and the emotive howl of ATTACK, try and think through some of the concepts, ideas, and principles presented by both participants, and actually work through pondering and analyzing what may or may not be right and/or wrong, and/or viable or worthy of work.

None of us is wholly right or wrong, ever. The Pitters (so-called) and the FfTBers (so-called) have both expressed some valid, and some not valid, ideas. And both should be approached with the open minded perspective that is supposed to be a part of both the scientific and the ethically skeptical approach.

For the record, most of the comments in this thread misrepresent both Zvan, and Jack.

Also for the record, I agreed with almost all of Zvan's initial statement (at Nugent's blog). And where I did not agree, the issues were somewhat minor. Frankly, I am both surprised, and appreciative of her statement, and I think she has some very valid and important points, some of which present more valid and/or important ideas/principles than Jack's statement.

I know that Zvan and I have been what could justly be called enemies for well over a year now. Nonetheless, I would like to restate that most of what she posted on that initial comment at Nugents' blog is, to my mind, valid, important and, most importantly, workable and acheivable. While she and I could never be friends, perhaps on these points we could agree to agree ... and discuss.
Whether or not it will make it through moderation/bannage is anybody's guess.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:If you want to know the difference between FfTB and the 'Pit, read the thread below. Trigger Warning for tediousness, self-congratulatory wanking, and lack of imagination. Bonus point if you can be bothered to work out what percentage of posts are by Caine.

Answer: they really, genuinely, actually, literally have no sense of humor.

welch

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:
rayshul wrote:
You know, I would ordinarily wave this off as Vacula being pedantic, but the FfTB's crowd made the lack of policies such a big fucking deal, that I'm gonna have to side with Vacula on this one. Why have policies at conferences and not enforce them?

Well that's the point. If you're going to have policies, don't have stupid ones that you're never going to enforce. Like that one, or the similarly idiotic one about "don't offend people's religious beliefs".

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

PZ talks about a panel he attended:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2013 ... -few-days/
"Bullies Still Suck: Why We Don’t Just Get Over It. Oh, jeez. The most depressing panel ever. I was on it with Mickey Schulz (Geek Girls Rule!) and Maida “Mac” Cain. I think I was there to represent targets of online bullying, but here’s the deal: it was attended by a large number of SF con nerds and geeks who could give us all lessons on what real bullying is like. I didn’t have to say much at all: the audience spoke out with testimonials about their lives as four-eyed nerds, gay people, trans women, Asperger kids, “sluts” so-called, and rape victims. I think my main job here should have just been to shut up and listen."
He was there to represent targets of online bullying? Huh?

welch

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:PZ talks about a panel he attended:

"Bullies Still Suck: Why We Don’t Just Get Over It. Oh, jeez. The most depressing panel ever. I was on it with Mickey Schulz (Geek Girls Rule!) and Maida “Mac” Cain. I think I was there to represent targets of online bullying, but here’s the deal: it was attended by a large number of SF con nerds and geeks who could give us all lessons on what real bullying is like. I didn’t have to say much at all: the audience spoke out with testimonials about their lives as four-eyed nerds, gay people, trans women, Asperger kids, “sluts” so-called, and rape victims. I think my main job here should have just been to shut up and listen."
PeeZus' been bullied about as much as Mr. T.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

justinvacula wrote:PZ talks about a panel he attended:

Well that appears to be his lot in life. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Yes?

Post by Guest »

ERV wrote:
cunt wrote:

conference, sure... but what if it's at a Pro Tour?

Post by Guest »

justinvacula wrote:PZ tweets me, demonstrably wrong:

http://i.imgur.com/rgqXb1P.jpg

not to mention the closest parallel (movie theaters) mean for you to turn off your phones so they don't ring, so you don't message and tweet, and don't mention bother others with a glowing screen

as in, don't bother people with ANY of it

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

Unless it is dark in the conference, I don't see a reason to turn off cellphones.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Pepsi wrote:Unless it is dark in the conference, I don't see a reason to turn off cellphones.
I don't either, but the policy says to.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

FWIW, my post at Lousy Canuck is still in moderation; mentioned here >24 hrs ago: viewtopic.php?p=80575#p80575

(I was replying to his OP, which quotes Steersman quoting me from here, and PZ's response #1 making assumptions about what I said & meant, apparently w/o going to read the cited post).

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Podcasters, if you want a great guest, then look no further than the Pit's own Rocko2466.

I believe there were parts of the recording where I was so engrossed by Rocko and Shane's conversation that I forgot to take part. Oh well, I'll fix that in post. ;D

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

justinvacula wrote:PZ tweets me, demonstrably wrong:
Which clearly, and indubitably, includes cardiac pacemakers!

This is but one more example of why I am anti any sort of codified rules for adult conferences.

1) The Laws of the district are sufficient.

2) As previously detailed, codified rules actually make restrictions seriously WEAKER, not stronger (in countries that have inherited the British style of law), by virtue of contract law. Weaker to the point of implicitly permitting the very behaviour that one is attempting to discourage, as well as exposing the organisers to expensive civil claims.
It does not matter two pinches of poop how well or professionally the rules are crafted.
In fact, it can make matters worse if one engages lawyers to write one's policy. It inevitably becomes a turgid black hole of gobbledegook, through which no sane judge would consider it be reasonable for an average attendee to wade.

3) They are never wholly observed, policed, or applied. Which renders them exclusively void in any case.
Every exception that is tacitly permitted, is a concession by management that the rules are invalid.

Justin is 101% correct to harp on this point.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Absolutely agree with MKG. Those three points were raised constantly by those opposing the idea of harassment policies. I don't it's surprising that Justin has discovered these inconsistencies.