Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Apples

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Apples »

rayshul wrote:Sorry, but I see brown people in the Romney Ryan crowd!
http://www.spiritistvideos.com/seyretfi ... _Sense.jpg

I see brown people!

Apples

Post by Apples »

Yes!

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

sacha wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
bovarchist wrote: Well Kilstein is a VERY thin-skinned and easily trollable douchekebab. I got a rise out of him by pointing out how hard vegans work to make things taste like meat.
:D So hilarious and so true. I just ate a veggie burger for lunch, and it was totally meat-like in the umami taste category. Deliberately so, I'm sure. I mean, it's called a "burger" right there on the package.
I find Marmite gives my lettuce sandwiches some sort of meaty flavor. Marmite is vegan, though, isn't it?
Marmite does not taste like meat
Marmite tastes a little beefy, to me.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Apples wrote:
rayshul wrote:Sorry, but I see brown people in the Romney Ryan crowd!
http://www.spiritistvideos.com/seyretfi ... _Sense.jpg

I see brown people!
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 90/304.gif

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

sacha wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
bovarchist wrote: Well Kilstein is a VERY thin-skinned and easily trollable douchekebab. I got a rise out of him by pointing out how hard vegans work to make things taste like meat.
:D So hilarious and so true. I just ate a veggie burger for lunch, and it was totally meat-like in the umami taste category. Deliberately so, I'm sure. I mean, it's called a "burger" right there on the package.
I find Marmite gives my lettuce sandwiches some sort of meaty flavor. Marmite is vegan, though, isn't it?
It's chock full of glutamate, though, which is the main umami taste chemical. Meat-eaters will likely associate the savory taste with their experiences eating meat and seafood and broths thereof, so they describe it as a meaty flavor. But there's loads of glutamate (and related umami chemicals) in seaweed, various vegetables, and mushrooms, so a vegetarian will have a different experience and associations for the same taste chemicals. Dr. Ikeda first isolated the umami taste chemical from seaweed, so its vegetarian association is the original one.

When I've made veggie "burgers" from scratch, they don't taste like meat to me either, but then the recipes I've used aren't very umami. The commercial veggie burger I ate today was full of umami.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

In the UK there is also Bovril, which is like Marmite but is made from cows rather than from yeast extract. I have never tried it, but I have heard it tastes similar to Marmite.

sacha

Post by sacha »

BarnOwl wrote:
sacha wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
It's chock full of glutamate, though, which is the main umami taste chemical. Meat-eaters will likely associate the savory taste with their experiences eating meat and seafood and broths thereof, so they describe it as a meaty flavor. But there's loads of glutamate (and related umami chemicals) in seaweed, various vegetables, and mushrooms, so a vegetarian will have a different experience and associations for the same taste chemicals. Dr. Ikeda first isolated the umami taste chemical from seaweed, so its vegetarian association is the original one.

You are correct as usual, Amazon woman. Umami is very mushroomy/seaweedy to me. I remember meat tasting very different, however, after 29 years, I'm sure my memory is not reliable. I will tell you that the smell of cooked flesh makes me nauseous, but I'm happy to eat Durian fruit.

Slither

Post by Slither »

Ophelia: Yes it works. If you’re only inviting Star X, Y and Z, next con says “we should invite Star X, Y and Z”. When you see people speaking, you’re more likely to see them as the right people to ask. You start to get people who have been invited 50 times, but not new people.
Ophelia, Watson and Amy Roth all seem blissfully unaware that their con invitations aren't the results of their being more qualified than anyone else.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Gumby wrote:
That looks familiar.... :oops:

For the record, I over-reacted.
Gumby!!! \o/

Now we just need Jim the Pleb, John Brown, Rocko, and a few others to bring back their ugly mugs.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

sacha wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
sacha wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

You are correct as usual, Amazon woman. Umami is very mushroomy/seaweedy to me. I remember meat tasting very different, however, after 29 years, I'm sure my memory is not reliable. I will tell you that the smell of cooked flesh makes me nauseous, but I'm happy to eat Durian fruit.
Taste and olfaction are the most interesting of the senses, IMO, because the information goes primarily (directly, in the case of olfaction) to the limbic system, where emotions and memories reside. We like to think that we are visual animals, with complete control over how sensory inputs influence our behavior; olfaction, however, influences our behavior much more than we'd like to admit, and we don't have much conscious control over our responses to it. For birds, vision prevails, but for mammals it's olfaction (and its chemosensory relative, taste). I would love to have the olfactory abilities of almost any other mammal - much better than those of a human.

Which reminds me, for Renee and her guy - I found several papers on PubMed where they looked at recovery of taste acuity specifically in patients who'd had radiotherapy for head and neck cancer, and the taste buds do regenerate completely (or nearly so). Six months to a year was the time range given for recovery of taste acuity - I know that may seem a long time (and of course I'm not the one experiencing this), but the ability to taste should recover. They weren't necessarily young patients either - I think the average age in one study was ~50 years.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Gefan wrote:Please, because as much as I love the sound of my own voice (not as much as some people round here, but plenty) we need you to get this into your thick fucking skulls, you're not that important.
You are an amusing clown show. That is all you will ever be. None of us wish you actual harm. If you were to go away for any reason we would miss the lulz and then get on with our, you know, lives.
Although you and your free-range psych ward lack any empathy for the rest of the species, we do not. In truth I think we'd be happy if several of you got some help.
Heh. "Free-range psych ward." That is spot-on.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I dont know why Ron Lindsay is engaging Twatson... But I LOLed:
Rebecca Watson inhabits an alternate universe.
Myers-Watson assume you...
OH GOD! THEYRE FINALLY STARTING TO FUSE INTO ONE!!!

welch

Post by welch »

Slither wrote:
Ophelia: Yes it works. If you’re only inviting Star X, Y and Z, next con says “we should invite Star X, Y and Z”. When you see people speaking, you’re more likely to see them as the right people to ask. You start to get people who have been invited 50 times, but not new people.
Ophelia, Watson and Amy Roth all seem blissfully unaware that their con invitations aren't the results of their being more qualified than anyone else.

You're making an assumption about what the qualifications are. Based on what I've seen, they are all in fact, perfectly qualified for WISC

Bill the Cat

Cat meat in curry? Been done in Chinese!

Post by Bill the Cat »

BarnOwl wrote: Cat meat in curry? :shock:

I need to be more careful about choosing restaurants when I'm in the DC area.

[youtube]wOy2QCssTaI[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

/Off Topic:

Dr. Who! Holy Fucking Shit!!!11!!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BarnOwl wrote:/Off Topic:

Yeah, and we have to wait months! (insert huge rage face here...Fu....Fu....Fu.......)

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:I dont know why Ron Lindsay is engaging Twatson... But I LOLed:
OMFG, Lindsay is out for blood!
It may be the most intellectually dishonest piece of writing since the last communique issued by North Korea.
Sick Gangsta Mack right there.
Next, Watson claims the “crux" of my talk was the problem I have with feminists using the concept of privilege as a justification for telling men to “shut up and listen.” This claim is false. No reasonable person could possibly describe the crux of my talk as dealing with this issue.
STONE-COLD CALLED THE BITCH A LIAR.

That's going to leave a mark.
But in her defense, perhaps Watson was too busy tweeting about how “strange” it was to have a “white man” open the conference to pay attention to what I was actually saying. (I’m just glad Watson didn’t notify security: “white man loose on stage, white man loose on stage!”)
The sarcasm...it...I'm sorry, it's just so beautiful. I'm all verklempt, talk amongst yourselves.
But let’s leave Watson’s distortions behind and move to the central issue presented by her criticism, and that is what model of communication we should adopt when we are conversing with someone who has had different life experiences, e.g., a conversation between a woman and a man.
"The words of the Klingon are unimportant, and so I don't hear them."

Fuck, that DEFINITELY left a mark.
People do have different life experiences, and many women have had experiences and perspectives from which men can and should learn. But having had certain experiences does not automatically turn one into an authority to whom others must defer. Listen, listen carefully, but where appropriate, question and engage.”
Yep. Precisely.
Myers-Watson assume you should never question, you should never argue back, because the person from the marginalized group must have the expertise.
I've had a barely functional finger for almost 20 years now. It does not however make me an expert on:

the skeletal system
orthopedic surgery
pain management
broken bones

Fuck, just how pissed off is Ronbo right now. You just know he's about to eat nails.
This model of communication asks us to put our critical thinking on hold merely because the person speaking comes from a marginalized group.
Wheee, logic uber alles!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BarnOwl wrote:
sacha wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
sacha wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Taste and olfaction are the most interesting of the senses, IMO, because the information goes primarily (directly, in the case of olfaction) to the limbic system, where emotions and memories reside. We like to think that we are visual animals, with complete control over how sensory inputs influence our behavior; olfaction, however, influences our behavior much more than we'd like to admit, and we don't have much conscious control over our responses to it. For birds, vision prevails, but for mammals it's olfaction (and its chemosensory relative, taste). I would love to have the olfactory abilities of almost any other mammal - much better than those of a human.
Olfactory acuity is something that can be improved with practice. When I was doing my PhD, which was originally in organic chemistry until it went spectacularly wrong, and I switched to quantum, I could recognize many, many more smells than I could before, and can now.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Live from #WIScfi - #BraveHero Radio at 9:30 eastern - Day 2 - Chat live now + during show and consider calling in!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... -2-day-two

"Rebecca Watson inhabits an alternate universe. At least that is the most charitable explanation I can provide for her recent smear. Watson has posted comments on my opening talk at Women in Secularism 2. It may be the most intellectually dishonest piece of writing since the last communique issued by North Korea."

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Nim_Chimpsky wrote:
But it’s the second misapplication of the concept of privilege that troubles me most. I’m talking about the situation where the concept of privilege is used to try to silence others, as a justification for saying, “shut up and listen.” Shut up, because you’re a man and you cannot possibly know what it’s like to experience x, y, and z, and anything you say is bound to be mistaken in some way, but, of course, you’re too blinded by your privilege even to realize that.

This approach doesn’t work. It certainly doesn’t work for me. It’s the approach that the dogmatist who wants to silence critics has always taken because it beats having to engage someone in a reasoned argument. It’s the approach that’s been taken by many religions. It’s the approach taken by ideologies such as Marxism. You pull your dogma off the shelf, take out the relevant category or classification, fit it snugly over the person you want to categorize, dismiss, and silence and ... poof, you’re done. End of discussion. You’re a heretic spreading the lies of Satan, and anything you say is wrong. You’re a member of the bourgeoisie, defending your ownership of the means of production, and everything you say is just a lie to justify your power. You’re a man; you have nothing to contribute to a discussion of how to achieve equality for women.

Now don’t get me wrong. I think the concept of privilege is useful; in fact it is too useful to have it ossified and turned into a dogma.
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/e ... k_at_wis2/

Looking at his speech, I think a lot of the upset may be due to the fact that he hit the nail on the head. No wonder Watson and Myers got so worked up about it. He seems to have just come out and said what a lot of people in the Atheist 'movement' have been thinking recently. Good on him, he's got himself a new fan in me.
Exactly. Lindsey just outed their favorite tactic right in front of the people most likely to use it, effectively calling them out for it. I was impressed enough to post a comment:
#13 Zenspace (Guest) on Saturday May 18, 2013 at 5:27am
Mr. Lindsay, this was a surprisingly well balanced speech. Well done. Hopefully this is an indicator that CFI is beginning to recognize the negative effects inherent in the infiltration of certain ideological influences into the skeptical community. The negative feedback you have seen on twitter is a clear indication that no breach of the faith will be tolerated and that the first casualty is reason, rationality and skepticism. I call your attention to PZ Myers recent, public ‘divorce’ from skepticism as further evidence that the ideological aspects of gender movements are antithetical to the progress of reason and rationality.

CFI’s reputation and credibility as a skeptical organization has been hurt by its ongoing support of persons subscribing to these gender based ideologies to the clear detriment of reason and skepticism. If your speech proves to be reflected in the future real world activities of CFI, including the quality of persons it chooses to support, I will look forward to renewing my membership with the organization.

Thank you again for the thoughtfulness and clear thinking and fairness you exhibited in this speech.

Southern

Post by Southern »

The photoshoppers know what to do:

http://i.imgur.com/uATc0CE.jpg

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

I know, right? It's why Moffat is one of my favorite writers and why people who want RTD back have me scratching my head.
That ending... I came a little.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I do wonder how Lindsay managed to miss all the fucking crazy until now, though.

Dave

Post by Dave »

My fav:
The next time Watson asks me for a “good deal” of my drink, I will leave her an ice cube.
Somebody has had enough of this shit.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Ron Lindsay does not mess about does he? If I had to guess he came well prepared for the vitriolic responses he got for his fairly non conscientious speech. If there is one thing the clowns are noted for it is their predictability.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Badger3k wrote:

Yeah, and we have to wait months! (insert huge rage face here...Fu....Fu....Fu.......)
Dude, bittorrent?

Almost 2500 snatches on TheBox (that sounds fun, doesn't it - 2500 snatches plus a box?)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

welch wrote:<snip>
Oh, but this is going to be good!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Rebecca Watson inhabits an alternate universe. At least that is the most charitable explanation I can provide for her recent smear. Watson has posted comments on my opening talk at Women in Secularism 2. It may be the most intellectually dishonest piece of writing since the last communique issued by North Korea.
http://media.tumblr.com/68e87ed79ae6652 ... qz4rgp.gif

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I havent watched Dr. Who since Rose died, but you dont even have to torrent-- I stream over-seas stuff (aka Master Chef. international versions are really sweet and encouraging, US version, I hope everyone involved gets hit by a truck. our version is a very negative show).

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

justinvacula wrote:Live from #WIScfi - #BraveHero Radio at 9:30 eastern - Day 2 - Chat live now + during show and consider calling in!

"Rebecca Watson inhabits an alternate universe. At least that is the most charitable explanation I can provide for her recent smear. Watson has posted comments on my opening talk at Women in Secularism 2. It may be the most intellectually dishonest piece of writing since the last communique issued by North Korea."
FFs, he's said it better than you ever have or will. Let the man's words stand on their own - without further hee-hawing from you and your pals. You can only weaken the impact of what he has said.

Please, just fuck off and cry.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Live from #WIScfi - #BraveHero Radio at 9:30 eastern - Day 2 - Chat live now + during show and consider calling in!

FFs, he's said it better than you ever have or will. Let the man's words stand on their own - without further hee-hawing from you and your pals. You can only weaken the impact of what he has said.

Please, just fuck off and cry.
26 min in, they're talking about the conference, currently Susan Jacoby's comments on Robert Ingersoll. Lindsay & Watson haven't come up yet.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

Word. That writing would make Hitch shiver in pleasure...

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:I do wonder how Lindsay managed to miss all the fucking crazy until now, though.

Sometimes one hopes for too long that people will pull their heads out on their own.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Can't stop laughing at Long...

Jamie Kilstein‏@jamiekilstein9h
Hello, @RALindsay I have done many fundraisers for @center4inquiry and after your abortion of a speech at #wiscfi am done. You're a joke.

Tim Skellett‏@Gurdur9h
@jamiekilstein @Laura_Rhymes Pardon me, but wasn't it @RALindsay/@center4inquiry who did most of the finance for #wiscfi?

@Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes @RALindsay @center4inquiry awwwwww. Old white dude, are you ok? =( Women need big strong men like you for $ #wiscfi

Ryan Grant Long‏@Eshto7h
@jamiekilstein @Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes @RALindsay @center4inquiry Thank you Jamie we need more black transgender lesbian voices like yours.

Jamie Kilstein‏@jamiekilstein7h
@Eshto @Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes I don't know what this means but judging by your mustache and smug smile I will guess something dumb.

@Eshto @Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes just cause I'm a white dude doesn't mean I can't criticize people with privilege.

Ryan Grant Long‏@Eshto1h
@jamiekilstein @Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes Correct. You are free to be as big of a clueless hypocrite as you would like to be, honky.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

We'll see how long I last on Twitter:
Sarah Moglia ‏@Mowgli3 7h

Since he's a skeptic, I wonder what it would take to convince @RALindsay that he's wrong re: his opening speech at #wiscfi.
Skep tickle ‏@Ellesun 2h

@Mowgli3 @RALindsay Pointing out factual errors & unwarranted assumptions in his #wiscfi opener, presenting evidence to support your claims?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:I do wonder how Lindsay managed to miss all the fucking crazy until now, though.

Sometimes one hopes for too long that people will pull their heads out on their own.
I'm going to guess that Lindsay wasn't missing the crazy, he was hanging back to see how things went, or he was biding his time.

(LOL, Karla just pointed out on BHR that Lindsay was typing in his "North Korea" blog & posted it while the WiSC2 attendees were at the dinner with Shelly Segal)

Remember, Lindsay asked for comments a couple of months ago in preparation for a meeting of the "heads" of secular organizations, and got an earful: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/e ... requested/

At that time I looked up who was on the Board of CFI to see who he was responsible to - no obvious SJWs in that list, so presumably Lindsay's job is safe.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

rayshul wrote:Can't stop laughing at Long... ...

Ryan Grant Long‏@Eshto7h
@jamiekilstein @Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes @RALindsay @center4inquiry Thank you Jamie we need more black transgender lesbian voices like yours.

Ryan Grant Long‏@Eshto1h
@jamiekilstein @Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes Correct. You are free to be as big of a clueless hypocrite as you would like to be, honky.
:lol:

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

welch wrote:
OMFG, Lindsay is out for blood!
It may be the most intellectually dishonest piece of writing since the last communique issued by North Korea.
Sick Gangsta Mack right there.
Next, Watson claims the “crux" of my talk was the problem I have with feminists using the concept of privilege as a justification for telling men to “shut up and listen.” This claim is false. No reasonable person could possibly describe the crux of my talk as dealing with this issue.
STONE-COLD CALLED THE BITCH A LIAR.

That's going to leave a mark.
But in her defense, perhaps Watson was too busy tweeting about how “strange” it was to have a “white man” open the conference to pay attention to what I was actually saying. (I’m just glad Watson didn’t notify security: “white man loose on stage, white man loose on stage!”)
The sarcasm...it...I'm sorry, it's just so beautiful. I'm all verklempt, talk amongst yourselves.
But let’s leave Watson’s distortions behind and move to the central issue presented by her criticism, and that is what model of communication we should adopt when we are conversing with someone who has had different life experiences, e.g., a conversation between a woman and a man.
"The words of the Klingon are unimportant, and so I don't hear them."

Fuck, that DEFINITELY left a mark.
People do have different life experiences, and many women have had experiences and perspectives from which men can and should learn. But having had certain experiences does not automatically turn one into an authority to whom others must defer. Listen, listen carefully, but where appropriate, question and engage.”
Yep. Precisely.
Myers-Watson assume you should never question, you should never argue back, because the person from the marginalized group must have the expertise.
I've had a barely functional finger for almost 20 years now. It does not however make me an expert on:

the skeletal system
orthopedic surgery
pain management
broken bones

Fuck, just how pissed off is Ronbo right now. You just know he's about to eat nails.
This model of communication asks us to put our critical thinking on hold merely because the person speaking comes from a marginalized group.
Wheee, logic uber alles!
Dayum!!!!! :o

I was so concerned that this event was going to be an exercise in frustration with JV a walking time bomb in the middle of it. Instead, it is turning out to be more full of win than I ever would have dared imagine, and the biggest win from Ron Lindsey, no less!

It really might just be time for me to renew my membership in CFI. Thank you, Mr. Lindsey. :clap:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

EllenBeth Wachs ‏@EllenBethWachs 31m

Watson’s World and Two Models of Communication | Center for Inquiry http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/e ... unication/ …
EllenBeth Wachs ‏@EllenBethWachs 28m

@SubManUSN He sounds a bit pissed off and rightfully so.
EllenBeth Wachs ‏@EllenBethWachs 24m

@SubManUSN I've met Ron a few times and always liked and respected him. That respect has grown over the last few days.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Skep tickle wrote:
At that time I looked up who was on the Board of CFI to see who he was responsible to - no obvious SJWs in that list, so presumably Lindsay's job is safe.
What does that say about "Smellody"'s future?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Lsuoma wrote: Olfactory acuity is something that can be improved with practice. When I was doing my PhD, which was originally in organic chemistry until it went spectacularly wrong, and I switched to quantum, I could recognize many, many more smells than I could before, and can now.
Humans can actually follow a trail of chocolate scent across a field, but their hearing and vision have to be blocked, and of course they're crawling on all fours with their noses close to the ground. My students wanted to try the experiment themselves, but there's no place here where they wouldn't likely crawl through fire ants and prickly pear or mesquite. Humans have pretty good ability to distinguish smells and to localize them (and I agree, you can improve these abilities), but I want recognize the temporal qualities of odors. A dog can follow a scent across great distances and distinguish very specific scents, but in addition it knows how long the scent has been in any given place, i.e. how "old" it is.

Neurologist Oliver Sacks wrote about a medical student who had temporarily-enhanced olfactory abilities following use of hallucinogenic drugs (probably LSD, but I don't think it's specified). The student recognizes individual patients by their particular odors, and finds all odors compelling, whether they're pleasant or disgusting. He experiences a sense of loss when he no longer has the enhanced olfaction.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Lsuoma wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Considering her behavior and recently preferred company, she may just be having an 'oh shit' moment about now.

:popcorn:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
I was wondering about that myself. I suspect there will be some fallout ahead ... and not just with Watson-Myers. :popcorn:

JAB

Post by JAB »

So, Ron waits until he gets all the miscreants in one room on his turf and with him as the host to nail them? Sweet.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JAB wrote:So, Ron waits until he gets all the miscreants in one room on his turf and with him as the host to nail them? Sweet.
Strategic move.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Lsuoma wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
I really cannot imagine that 'Women In Secularism' will be used as a personal party for her and her BFFs again. Mostly, because this year that made it way too obvious it is just an excuse for her to throw a party on someone elses dime.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Skep tickle wrote:
JAB wrote:So, Ron waits until he gets all the miscreants in one room on his turf and with him as the host to nail them? Sweet.
Strategic move.
I have the feeling the ol' blogosphere is going to be an interesting place after this weekend. :popcorn:

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:Can't stop laughing at Long...

Hello, @RALindsay I have done many fundraisers for @center4inquiry and after your abortion of a speech at #wiscfi am done. You're a joke.

Tim Skellett‏@Gurdur9h
@jamiekilstein @Laura_Rhymes Pardon me, but wasn't it @RALindsay/@center4inquiry who did most of the finance for #wiscfi?

@Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes @RALindsay @center4inquiry awwwwww. Old white dude, are you ok? =( Women need big strong men like you for $ #wiscfi

Ryan Grant Long‏@Eshto7h

@Eshto @Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes I don't know what this means but judging by your mustache and smug smile I will guess something dumb.

@Eshto @Gurdur @Laura_Rhymes just cause I'm a white dude doesn't mean I can't criticize people with privilege.

Ryan Grant Long‏@Eshto1h
Awwww, kilstein's still smarting over the prolonged beating rogan gave him.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BarnOwl wrote:Humans have pretty good ability to distinguish smells and to localize them (and I agree, you can improve these abilities), but I want recognize the temporal qualities of odors. A dog can follow a scent across great distances and distinguish very specific scents, but in addition it knows how long the scent has been in any given place, i.e. how "old" it is.
My first guess here is that dogs learn about the relative decay in intensity of the smell of different components of a mixture with time. If you take a mixture of high- and low-boiling components, the overall sensation of smell will surely vary with the length of time since the mixture was laid down. For example, if you take a equimixture of acetone (propanone), hexan-2-one, nonan-2-one, and dodecan-2-one, the olfactory sensation from a freshly spread sample will be different than 30 minutes later, which will again be different from ten hours later.

This example is predicated on volatility, but lability or reactivity of the components could also create a temporal variation in the olfactory sensation.

I can't, off the top of my head - and with a couple of Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPAs inside of me - think of another cause.

welch

Post by welch »

Skep tickle wrote:
Strategic move.

Or just "Look, here. Rope. Option A) Use it to build a bridge. Option B) Hang yourself...Ahhhh, good show, creating option C) hang yourself while smearing shit on each other's faces. Very creative."

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

It reminds me of the way Mohammed Ali (no, not THAT Mohammed Ali) massacred the Mamelukes.

He invited them to a banquet, then afterwards invited them to ride in honour in a procession through a narrow street in Cairo. The street was gated at both ends, and when the Mamelukes were all within the street he had his Albanian bodyguard fire on them after the gates were shut.

Ron could learn a thing or two from old Mohammed Ali, eh? <<<<<----- Credible threat of bodily harm from all Pitters to the brave SJWs and Skepshits!

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
I really cannot imagine that 'Women In Secularism' will be used as a personal party for her and her BFFs again. Mostly, because this year that made it way too obvious it is just an excuse for her to throw a party on someone elses dime.

pretty much. The first one, well everyone gets one. THis one was probably supposed to be an actual serious conference, and now it's clear that this was never to advance the cause of women. It was to advance Melody Hensley and her BFFs.

I would not be surprised to see WISC3. I would be VERY surprised to see her running it. CFI does have a lot of excellent, smart women who could do a good job with this concept and this conference. She is none of them.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Humans have pretty good ability to distinguish smells and to localize them (and I agree, you can improve these abilities), but I want recognize the temporal qualities of odors. A dog can follow a scent across great distances and distinguish very specific scents, but in addition it knows how long the scent has been in any given place, i.e. how "old" it is.
My first guess here is that dogs learn about the relative decay in intensity of the smell of different components of a mixture with time. If you take a mixture of high- and low-boiling components, the overall sensation of smell will surely vary with the length of time since the mixture was laid down. For example, if you take a equimixture of acetone (propanone), hexan-2-one, nonan-2-one, and dodecan-2-one, the olfactory sensation from a freshly spread sample will be different than 30 minutes later, which will again be different from ten hours later.

This example is predicated on volatility, but lability or reactivity of the components could also create a temporal variation in the olfactory sensation.

I can't, off the top of my head - and with a couple of Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPAs inside of me - think of another cause.
Oh, and it wouldn't necessarily need to be odours laid down by a target - the smell resulting from bruised vegetation probably varies with time too.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Lsuoma wrote:

Okay but explain why my dog will pee on a spot, walk around the block, come back to the original spot, then sniff intently as if learning Quite A Bit About the Big Dog who Left That Mark Ten Minutes Ago.

Unlikely to just be him & his particular doggie nose/IQ/etc, because the dog I had before him did the same thing.

Oh and he never seems to 'fess up when he passes stinky gas. (Nor does my husband, for that matter.) :naughty:

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Zenspace wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Considering her behavior and recently preferred company, she may just be having an 'oh shit' moment about now.

Unfortunately Smelody's job is secure. She's genuinely crazy. Most places are afraid to fire the crazy because of possible legal retribution.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Skep tickle wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: My first guess here is that dogs learn about the relative decay in intensity of the smell of different components of a mixture with time. If you take a mixture of high- and low-boiling components, the overall sensation of smell will surely vary with the length of time since the mixture was laid down. For example, if you take a equimixture of acetone (propanone), hexan-2-one, nonan-2-one, and dodecan-2-one, the olfactory sensation from a freshly spread sample will be different than 30 minutes later, which will again be different from ten hours later.

Okay but explain why my dog will pee on a spot, walk around the block, come back to the original spot, then sniff intently as if learning Quite A Bit About the Big Dog who Left That Mark Ten Minutes Ago.

Unlikely to just be him & his particular doggie nose/IQ/etc, because the dog I had before him did the same thing.

Oh and he never seems to 'fess up when he passes stinky gas. (Nor does my husband, for that matter.) :naughty:
Is he taking some time to convince himself that it WAS him that took the piss earlier? Is he learning how quickly his olfactory piss-profile decays? Is he checking that he hasn't been usurped? That some lady-dog with great big hooters has left her calling card?

The possibilities for experimentation here are almost limitless: get a good GC analysis (since he's smelling, volatility is important, duh!) of the urine markings, and try to isolate the components*, look at how they affect him individually, and in submixtures*, look at masking some key components, lots of things.

I'd be really surprised if no fundamental research has been done in this area. But then again, a lot of things surprise me: how big my cock is, why people like flamenco, that nobody has hunted me down and killed me already.

*Isolating the components might not be particularly helpful - IIRC from my readings around the area, most olfactory receptors are not specific for one compound - rather, they are relatively broad-brush which means that olfaction is not simply a case of recognizing individual compounds, but rather recognizing the neural firing pattern that occurs when a compound activates a set of receptors.

Oh, and I *ALWAYS* claim ownership of my farts, especially the Breakfast Makers: upgrade your hubby now!

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:

Unfortunately Smelody's job is secure. She's genuinely crazy. Most places are afraid to fire the crazy because of possible legal retribution.
Crazy only protects you so far. Let this be a money loser or cause CFI problems, and they'll shoot her out of a cannon.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

She's already weighed in as a guest, assuming that comment #40 is genuinely her (it's not from a logged in account).

And it seems that the call to arms has gone out to the SJWs: expect incoming colon very shortly...

acathode

Post by acathode »

If Lindsay's earlier actions following his speech was a slap in the face with the gauntlet to Myers and Watson, this last post is pretty much the equivalent of dropping a nuke on them. Hard to think this isn't something that has been in the making for quite some time for Lindsay, and that he knew exactly what kind of responses his initial speech would get, and that he wasn't prepared to follow it up.

Anyone else thinking it might have been PZ throwing his skepticism-divorce temper tantrum that finally pushed Lindsay in this direction? If I was the president and chief executive officer of a big skeptic organization, that's the sort of thing that might actually piss me off quite a bit, or at least make me go "tell me again why I should hire this non-skeptic guy to speak at our skeptic cons?" and serve as a wake-up call to actually take a closer look at just exactly what kind of crap this person, and his friends, actually have been writing/doing.

In any case, I really gotta buy some more popcorn, because this will be epic.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ERV wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Yes, I can just see her running round the conference rooms, screaming into people's faces: "Are you having a good time? Are you enjoying yourself? Is this an amazing conference or what? Validate me!!!".

With Ron Lindsay sat quietly on a chair in the corner, styrofoam plate filled with nibbles in his hand, watching and wondering whether CFI can afford the attorney time necessary to ditch this crazy broad.