Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
JackSkeptic

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by JackSkeptic »

ERV wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Update: American Atheists has responded further showing their lack of enforcement of its conference policy and either misunderstanding of what the policy actually says or changing it mid-stream:
Attn #AAcon13: Wrt electronics policy: Video rec is not permitted. Still photos = yes. Live tweeting = ENCOURAGED. NO CELL PHONES RINGING.
The policy clearly says “Turn off cell phones and other electronic devices.” American Atheists does inadvertently make a good point, though. The conference policy would also forbid live-Tweeting because electronic devices and cell phones are to be turned off…and there is certainly much live-Tweeting going on. It’s time to scrap the poorly thought out policy altogether or do a rewrite.
JT comes off as a massive cunt. "I GOT TO SPEAK AT AA CONVENTION AND YOU DIDNT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

I spoke at FreeOK1 and 2, for FreeOK3, I didnt have anything new/interesting to say (viruses are still cool, different examples, but the same talk), so I suggested a bunch of speakers I wanted to see myself-- Pretty much all the ones I asked for are coming.

What is 'power'? What is 'influence'? Whos the more 'powerful' and 'influential'-- the person who uses their position to promote themselves, or the person who use that position to promote others?
I often find those that actively seek power rarely get it.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Skep tickle wrote:
Aneris wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:Lousy Canuck:
Why don’t these assholes try finding a thing that I’ve said about feminism, about rape, about anything else, and actually arguing against the points presented, instead of trying to defame my character in order to fragment FtB and poison the well against women speaking up about harassment? Why is the idea of more than one feminist leader posting to a blog network so scary to them that they have to attack a blogger on said network by attacking another blogger on said network and trying to play the one against the other?
Oh yes, you get criticized or someone quoting you in a non-flattering fashion is totally the time for you to just randomly toss out the "why do you hate women" meme or one of it's variants.

Because that totally doesn't come across as you using women as pawns to make yourself look good, like the noble protector who is under attack when he defends us fragile things, and that by proxy any criticism aimed your way is criticism aimed at all the possessors of the XX chromosone. Please bear the weight that us poor womenfolk cannot Jason :roll:

Ugh, I'm soooo sick of this shit. I've ranted about this sort of thing before, but I'm tired of people who are more about self promotion and/or preservation trying to parade as noble defenders of women while portraying any criticism that they personally receive as misogyny or promotion of harassment. It's the rhetorical equivalent of using women as a human shield to deflect criticizing opinions, and it's just as demeaning IMO as someone promoting a genuinely misogynist viewpoint. This sort of thing, along with outrage over dongle jokes or how Princess Zelda is used in a videogame from 15 years ago is making instances of real oppression of women in the world go unnoticed because the attention is being diverted to noisy non-issues and frivolous complaints that make women's equality movements into a running joke.

But I guess if women are nothing more than a human shield to block internet criticisms to you and your blogging friends, then whatever I have to say is irrelevant.
!!! Bold emphasis mine. Whats more, by monopolizing certain views while being assholes, they make it less likely that people adopt reasonable and good ideas, or worse, feel they must subvert the assholes for what they are, thereby indirectly subverting the good ideas.
I, too, really enjoy your posts, 16bitheretic & Aneris.

Totally agree w/ above, esp with bolded line. There are very real issues that are receiving short shrift while all this energy goes into minor slights in the first world.

FWIW, I see physical suffering and premature death around the world as a much more pressing issue than women's rights even in fundamentalist societies, not that that's not a horrible situation (and of course in some cases it includes physical suffering & premature death for women, or women & children). I'm outraged at how many people lack clean water, enough food to prevent starvation much less have adequate nutrition, and have access (on multiple axes: cost, availability, acceptability, etc) to basic health care including preventive services such as vaccines and condoms. I've done only a little personally to work on this issue (one trip to Guatemala, where I concluded that the money it had cost to ferry a bunch of Americans there could have been better used to improve the local infrastructure & hire local people to do the work we did for 10 days). But it's where I focus my donations, through a payroll deduction donation to several international organizations.

I used to consider physical suffering and premature death due to socioeconomic iniquities, political corruption, and war to be a "social justice" issue. Silly me. Like 'feminism' my understanding of that term has been forever tainted.
That's been my understanding as well. Let's hope we can prevent the loss of another perfectly good word/phrase.

Submariner

Re: shit exists

Post by Submariner »

There you have it folks. There is a scientifically defined political stance which is correct, and all others are wrong. I missed the headlines that must have been worldwide at the release of this information.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Submariner wrote:Op-ed video I made. Transcript on my blog (see sig)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXOLbh3soIg
Nice one, Submariner, reminded me of this (also left this on your blog): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:Um. Can we still Spoiler? I missed about two threads worth of slymepitting.
No, unfortunately not. Seems that there's a serious conflict in how that function is implemented. No indication whether that is likely to be fixed or not.
I'd say Lsuoma just got jack of fixing borked posts.
Minor detail, but as a point of reference, Lsuoma said earlier:
Spoiler tags went as there is a very unpleasant and at present unstoppable interaction between the JS they used and php. This essentially made the site 100% vulnerable to crackers.
Which might be related to the frequent “fixing of borked posts” you referred to ….
If only there was a preview button...
Most people were pretty good with that, although there were a few repeat offenders who should have been chastised severely about the ears with a two-by-four, just to get their attention, of course ….

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Wonderist wrote:
Submariner wrote:Op-ed video I made. Transcript on my blog (see sig)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXOLbh3soIg
Nice one, Submariner, reminded me of this (also left this on your blog): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata
Thanks. I replied there as well.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Hunt wrote:This is probably yesterday's news and already discussed, but

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-512540
The civil harassment guidelines are more relevant, not just because they are more uniform and clearly-outlined than the state-by-state hodgepodge of cyberharassment guidelines, not just because blogging, being a source of income for most of the targets, forms an online workplace, but also because the primary complaint of the harassed (besides the general annoyance) has been the creation and reinforcement of a chilly climate in the atheist community–you know, a hostile environment. It’s true that the workplace analogy is just that–analogous–but when we’re talking about harassers creating and contributing to a generally unwelcome atmosphere for certain people, hostile environment harassment is clearly and obviously the most relevant topic.

Incidentally, taking a look at what qualifies as cyberharassment, it’s pretty clear that much of Vjack’s list qualifies there as well.
The Internet would rightly qualify as 'public'. It's like a street preacher complaining about getting booed off his soap-box in Times Square.
So the contention is that the entire blogosphere forms some kind of global workplace or is at least analogous to a workplace, therefore workplace harassment guidelines should be allowed to apply. Either that or each blog should be viewed in isolation as a business, and then what? the commentators should be considered employees? --who should have workplace harassment guidelines applied to them? Hmmm. I'm not sure that can be supported. Instead I'd say that the Internet acts as a medium or maybe an "economy" in which to conduct business. Consider the fact that there are many blogs that are actively engaged in combating each other (as we know). But its an interesting attempt to sneak workplace harassment rules into blogging and blog commenting. Or maybe I'm not getting the point.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Hunt wrote:This is probably yesterday's news and already discussed, but

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-512540
The civil harassment guidelines are more relevant, not just because they are more uniform and clearly-outlined than the state-by-state hodgepodge of cyberharassment guidelines, not just because blogging, being a source of income for most of the targets, forms an online workplace, but also because the primary complaint of the harassed (besides the general annoyance) has been the creation and reinforcement of a chilly climate in the atheist community–you know, a hostile environment. It’s true that the workplace analogy is just that–analogous–but when we’re talking about harassers creating and contributing to a generally unwelcome atmosphere for certain people, hostile environment harassment is clearly and obviously the most relevant topic.

Incidentally, taking a look at what qualifies as cyberharassment, it’s pretty clear that much of Vjack’s list qualifies there as well.
So the contention is that the entire blogosphere forms some kind of global workplace or is at least analogous to a workplace, therefore workplace harassment guidelines should be allowed to apply. Either that or each blog should be viewed in isolation as a business, and then what? the commentators should be considered employees? --who should have workplace harassment guidelines applied to them? Hmmm. I'm not sure that can be supported. Instead I'd say that the Internet acts as a medium or maybe an "economy" in which to conduct business. Consider the fact that there are many blogs that are actively engaged in combating each other (as we know). But its an interesting attempt to sneak workplace harassment rules into blogging and blog commenting. Or maybe I'm not getting the point.
[D'oh! Sorry, wrong insertion point. (He said, rapily.)]

The Internet would rightly qualify as 'public'. It's like a street preacher complaining about getting booed off his soap-box in Times Square.

Submariner

Re: shit exists

Post by Submariner »

Ugggh, "there's tons of research on this ".

Good honest unbiased feminist research. You know, ones where we know what the results are going to be, then look for facts that support the conclusion and ignore others. Totes unbiased. We even had a cis man on the research team.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

I find it amusing that the first response posted on the Nugent's discussion site is by Zvan with a link back to here own blog where she re-posts her opening statement.

My comments on both posts are up. Good comment by Phil also.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

More grandstanding and supporting the stillborn atheismplus from Adam Lee (emphasis mine):
it’s worth emphasizing that this progress is only happening because we’re talking about it. Richard Carrier gave a talk explaining Atheism Plus, and Jamila Bey moderated a panel with Greta Christina, Ophelia Benson, Beth Presswood and Amy Davis Roth about women in atheism, with special attention paid to the problem of online harassment and what we can do about it. Even I wasn’t sure at first how these would go over, but both talks were very well-received and got rousing applause and cheers from the audience. This is, again, a reminder that most atheists are good and decent people, and the outright misogynist trolls are an isolated and impotent minority, which goes to the point of my recent tiff about whether mainstream movement atheism is welcoming to women. (Several of these trolls helped prove the point for us by spamming the conference hashtag with whining petulance.)
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... n-aacon13/

Interesting. Lee and friends were the ones who started and reinforced the meme that the community is unwelcoming to women. ...and now they are fixing the problem! Sounds a whole lot like sin and Jesus raising from the dead...

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

justinvacula wrote:More grandstanding and supporting the stillborn atheismplus from Adam Lee (emphasis mine):

Interesting. Lee and friends were the ones who started and reinforced the meme that the community is unwelcoming to women. ...and now they are fixing the problem! Sounds a whole lot like sin and Jesus raising from the dead...

Is that Adam "Capitulate before we can discuss" Lee????

Wonderist

Re: somewhat ironic

Post by Wonderist »

Apples wrote:Mr. Schach's integrity and observational powers are a hallmark of his posting history at Pharyngula:

http://i.imgur.com/UbkVBYu.jpg
Oooohhh, stepped right in that one, he did. To be continued....

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

RE: The rape whistle commercial

If all men are rapists, or potential rapists, wouldn't blowing a rape whistle just create a line?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Submariner wrote:Reply in moderation at Nugent's to Zvan's post:
MNreplayZvan.JPG
Not that this screenshot is problematic, but just generally speaking, might want to be a bit more selective in your cropping, to avoid accidentally revealing personal details. Just a heads-up for future. :)

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Wonderist wrote:
MNreplayZvan.JPG
Not that this screenshot is problematic, but just generally speaking, might want to be a bit more selective in your cropping, to avoid accidentally revealing personal details. Just a heads-up for future. :)
I cropped out the personal details. What are you talking about?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

http://i.imgur.com/tPEa4N5.jpg

More non-offensive pics in accord with conduct policy.... with Greta Christina

http://eventifier.co/event/aacon13/?page=3

welch

Re: valid positions

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:Over at the 'Gulag, Rorschach offers some thoughtful input on the opening of the Nugent dialogue:
http://i.imgur.com/Blzojg6.jpg
Bless his heart.

welch

Re: Re:

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Apples wrote:http://i.imgur.com/A6e5RH9.jpg

A random Internet troll making a groundless rape allegation in a comment that never would have seen the light of day if Jason hadn't publicized it = "atheist/skeptic anti-feminist harassers resorting to defamation"

Telling 30,000 people on Twitter that they are probably rapists = Skepchick Feminism.

http://i.imgur.com/NvPcPOM.jpg
http://skepchick.org/2012/12/twitter-us ... e-rapists/
It's impossible to tell who is trolling who.
I'm guessing the Glob has realised she hasn't been the centre of attention recently - a paucity of rape threats from atheists in her inbox, perhaps - and has decided to throw out some troll bait.

I take it as a good sign that her consignment to richly-deserved irrelevance is gaining ground...
Pretty much. She's not speaking at TAM, she's not the center of attention on Nugent's thing.

Love to be a fly on the wall when all that butthurt unloads in Dublin.

welch

Re: somewhat ironic

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Apples wrote:Mr. Schach's integrity and observational powers are a hallmark of his posting history at Pharyngula:

http://i.imgur.com/UbkVBYu.jpg
This kind of thing always cracks me up. They post while under a nym as well :D
Oh martin, still posting under a 'nym we see.

welch

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:News from JT Eberhard who needs to check his privilege - lack of invitations to speak at conferences is a sign of irrelevance.

http://i.imgur.com/n8hY14i.jpg
Oh look, he's whipping out his speaker dick. How cispriviliged of him.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Post by Guest »

Didn't Half-Fish say that s/h/it was "spiritual" or something? Why is s/h/it now suddenly an atheist?

Corylus

Post by Corylus »

BarnOwl wrote: Some of the A+-ers knit or crochet dog and cat blankets for rescue organizations. That was one of the few threads on the A+ forums that I read in detail, and it actually convinced me to leave them alone for the most part.

I haven't seen any similar charitable actions from the FtBers, so they're fair game, AFAIC.
Then I am glad for them.

Looks like doing good things might be helpful to those with social anxiety ... maybe even more helpful than spending all of one's time in a 'safe' space.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Yeah, Shark Tried. Intolerance. That's the word. Now peddle your 'people affected with HIV shouldn't have to disclose their disease to people they have sex with as it's discrimination' elsewhere.

You know, kind of like pedophiles shouldn't have to disclose they're pedophiles to employers at elementary schools as it's discrimination. Idiot.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Guest wrote:
Didn't Half-Fish say that s/h/it was "spiritual" or something? Why is s/h/it now suddenly an atheist?
'Two-Spirit'. Yes, it's as stupid as it sounds. Seems he changed his mind. Or s/h/it's mind. Fuck knows.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Wonderist wrote:The Internet would rightly qualify as 'public'. It's like a street preacher complaining about getting booed off his soap-box in Times Square.
A very fitting analogy. Of course, this "harassment" narrative is completely ridiculous, anyone with a grain of sense realize that as soon as they see Ophies "evidence cartoons", but since these people are ideologues playing the political game, truth and reality have no priority whatsoever. The important thing becomes to twist reality into a place where you are right, and preferably, you are the victim.

It works too, this happens all the time in politics, the people on "your side" will swallow almost any crap narrative that you can come up with, no matter how ridiculous, as long as it excuses you and gives your followers a reason to not think that you (and in extension, themselves) are wrong. The most important thing is that it allows them to keep pushing the harassment narrative, preferably as general and sweeping as they possibly can (since any details, ie. connection to the reality, would crack or even shatter the narrative).
Anyone speaking up against the narrative will automatically be on losing as they will be perceived as being pro-harassment, while they get bogged down in a boring discussion about details on the definition of harassment (that few onlookers will bother follow).

It's professional victims playing the political game very shrewdly to gain more influence to push their ideology, and in the political game reality and truth doesn't matter, narrative is everything. Few bothers trying find out about the truth or reality anyways, even among so called "skeptics" who supposedly were to prioritize truth and reality over ideology while remembering that "you are the easiest person to fool"...

Corylus

Post by Corylus »

With regard to the 'workplace' argument ... I would have a great deal more patience with this one if my workplace were not a place in which I am expected to (and actually do) maintain professional standards.

Oh, and on 'the anonymous Jack Smith' I don't see how you can assume that a name is not real just because it is common. Parents call their children all manner of things these days. If it sounds like a name it may actually be a name.

Signed: Chardonnay Voldemort.*

-=-=-=-=

* Just kidding, my name is actually Corylus. I use it in this form as an in-joke to gardeners.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Submariner wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
MNreplayZvan.JPG
I cropped out the personal details. What are you talking about?
Sometimes URLs in your address bar can include local paths on your computer, depending on e.g. if you are viewing a saved version of a web page. E.g. file:///C:/Users/*your name*/My Documents/.../blah_blah.html

Sometimes, previous search terms in a search bar can reveal personal details.

Also, sometimes the apps running in your task bar can reveal personal details (e.g. paths to 'My Documents' again, or the title of a document in Word, or simply the fact that you use a particular program (e.g. if it's specific to one's career or something like that)). Even the icons in your system tray (lower right where clock is) can reveal small details.

Again, I didn't notice anything in that particular screen shot, but generally it's not a good habit to get into, IMHO. YMMV.

Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

Reading... It is too obvious that the reason Jason Thibeault posted that is for sympathy and to take a crack at this place...

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

@wonderist

Got it.

welch

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/tPEa4N5.jpg

It's a good thing there's no sexualized clothing, you know, like half-naked men, or people being deliberately offensive to religious beliefs there.

welch

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:@wonderist

Got it.
Being careful about file names/paths, good.

Worrying about system tray icons, overblown.

If you're going to worry about that, just hand-draw all screenshots

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

I'm going back a few pages here, but I have to say I am fascinated by the fact that Peezus and Thibeault both claim to have been falsely accused of rape. I had no idea. Assuming they're telling the truth, it's very interesting that two of FfTB's most prominent male bloggers have admitted to being on the end of a false accusation.

I mean, I've never been accused of rape. I've never had anyone threaten to accuse me of rape. I've never had anyone accuse me of harassment or any untoward behavior whatsoever. And I've always sort of thought this was because I'm not an asshole, I don't push boundaries, and I avoid gray areas with this sort of thing. But I'd imagine the same is true for the dutiful male feminists of FtB. So, I dunno, maybe I've just gotten lucky?

Huh. I had previously dismissed them as ranting loons, but maybe the MRAs are onto something after all. Thanks, PZ!

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Ulysses
31 March 2013 at 12:51 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment

“Jack Smith” wrote:
We see the issues as a clash of ideas between those who wish to impose a particular political and social ideology, and those who wish to maintain the rationalist principles that have served us well for so many years. This kind of imposition will necessarily divide the movement and weaken it.
I fail to see what’s wrong with dividing the movement. If one group thinks women should be treated as human beings and another group doesn’t agree, then why should the first group want to have anything to do with the second group? Let the second group pat themselves on the back for not believing in Bigfoot and Allah and let the first group work to undo the misogyny the religious patriarchy (and the secular patriarchy) inflicts on us.
Since one group of people are engaged in a long-running, insulting, jeering bullying of the other group, as a member of the anti-misogyny bunch I want nothing to do with the sexist bullies. If that creates divisiveness and “weakens the movement” then the movement wasn’t worth much to me. Let it wither away and be replaced with a movement which gives a damn about people.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-593958

Of course, known plagiarist Ulysses alias Rodney Nelson alias ‘Tis Himself can’t come up with anything but stale lies. “One group thinks women should be treated as human beings and another group doesn’t agree.” Ulysses alias Rodney Nelson alias ‘Tis Himself must have a low opinion of women to believe they would want to be defended by liars and plagiarists like himself.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Apples

false consciousness

Post by Apples »

http://i.imgur.com/cKVCmpr.jpg

Kyriarchy theory is apparently as unassailable as the Theory of Evolution, and we are supposedly trying to "ban and erase" it and "silence" the propagators of the One True Science of human relations and social justice.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

You and JT need to get together and measure your dicks to see who's the bigger man.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Bourne beat me to it.

Was gonna say: get a ruler or a room and work it out guys.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

welch wrote:

It's a good thing there's no sexualized clothing, you know, like half-naked men, or people being deliberately offensive to religious beliefs there.
I'm having a bit more trouble with the skimask stuff. Triggering (and for once, I'm not joking). Basque and Corsican independentists wear those shits all the time. Got my windows blown off by a Corsican bomb at the Nice Tresor Public office in the early 2000's. Also got a run on protection against Basque terrorists while serving in 1997.

Thos skimasks are not cool. Not. Cool.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:

I'm having a bit more trouble with the skimask stuff. Triggering (and for once, I'm not joking). Basque and Corsican independentists wear those shits all the time. Got my windows blown off by a Corsican bomb at the Nice Tresor Public office in the early 2000's. Also got a run on protection against Basque terrorists while serving in 1997.

Stochastic terrorists? :whistle:

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Percentage wrote:I'm going back a few pages here, but I have to say I am fascinated by the fact that Peezus and Thibeault both claim to have been falsely accused of rape. I had no idea. Assuming they're telling the truth, it's very interesting that two of FfTB's most prominent male bloggers have admitted to being on the end of a false accusation.

I mean, I've never been accused of rape. I've never had anyone threaten to accuse me of rape. I've never had anyone accuse me of harassment or any untoward behavior whatsoever. And I've always sort of thought this was because I'm not an asshole, I don't push boundaries, and I avoid gray areas with this sort of thing. But I'd imagine the same is true for the dutiful male feminists of FtB. So, I dunno, maybe I've just gotten lucky?

Huh. I had previously dismissed them as ranting loons, but maybe the MRAs are onto something after all. Thanks, PZ!
As easy as it would be slip into confirmation bias, I still don't believe them. When they just lie all the time, there's no reason to believe them moreso when they say something plausible.

However, keep in mind that false rape accusations cover many things. False accusations made to the police are only a formalised kind.

The simplest kind of false rape accusation is a female appealing to a male or group of males as tools to damage a single target male for whatever reason.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -gang.html

Such vigilante mob justice has been around for as long as vigilante mob justice. Its existence is another reason I cannot take claims of "rape culture" and feminist ideas of rape being acceptable seriously.

Another situation which springs to mind is this one:

Haven't rewatched the videos, but from memory 2 women are interested in 1 guy, and one of the women says to the other woman that he raped her, in order to scare her off and keep the guy for herself. Funniest part? The false accuser is a uber-feminist on youtube. Dianaboston/saelpalani (scented nectar mentioned her run ins with her)

So its all quite possible that Myers or Thibeault have been accused in some way, but its hard to imagine them being dragged through the legal system without learning some pretty damn hard lessons about the risk of being falsely accused.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Say what you like about him, Vacula - but JT's fame for his excellent portrayal of Merry in LotR is well deserved, I reckon.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Submariner wrote:Stochastic terrorists? :whistle:
More like retinal terrorists.

Who the fuck picked those colours? Looks like a low budget school dance production.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Submariner wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:

Stochastic terrorists? :whistle:
I was reminded of the IRA and of those islamists who decapitate their prisoners after making a statement in front of a banner.

FTBers suck at humour.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

(Please get the joke, oh please, oh please!)

cunt

Post by cunt »

Really? They're supposed to be Pussy Riot.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:LULZ!!! (NOT)

http://golem13.fr/wp-content/uploads/20 ... sica01.jpg
Why did they kidnap a pair of Scousers?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tigzy wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:LULZ!!! (NOT)

http://golem13.fr/wp-content/uploads/20 ... sica01.jpg
Why did they kidnap a pair of Scousers?
Left is comedian Michaël Youn and right is other comedian José Garcia, supposed to be terrorists from Taboulistan, captured by Corsican terrorists for their latest movie. Plenty of IRL pics on google images, though.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&new ... MMiRt0GqVQ

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Jan Steen wrote:
I was reminded of the IRA and of those islamists who decapitate their prisoners after making a statement in front of a banner.

FTBers suck at humour.
Yes, there's a lot of that too. Talk about triggers...

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Right. It's everybody else's fault.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Christina Rad talking about rape culture and feminism at #aacon13

http://i.imgur.com/TAvw6vG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EkkuL9G.jpg

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Tim Minchin, talking about the word 'cunt'

http://i.imgur.com/wv9mRpR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3h65EAC.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Shut up Ryan, you straight, cisgendered male!

Now, that is something that would be insulting to a gay person like Ryan. Probably. Or not. depends on the person, I guess.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Dear American White Girl, aka Laci Green, please don't make far reaching claims when you live in a comfortable bubble.

I can think of a whole host of situations where Ive been called a cunt with a variety of intentions.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: false consciousness

Post by Jan Steen »

Apples wrote:http://i.imgur.com/cKVCmpr.jpg

Kyriarchy theory is apparently as unassailable as the Theory of Evolution, and we are supposedly trying to "ban and erase" it and "silence" the propagators of the One True Science of human relations and social justice.
If Kyriarchy Theory is as well established as the Theory of Evolution, then its creator, Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, must be the Charles Darwin of Kyriarchy Theory.

This quote, on Wikipedia, is apparently representative of her work:
[T]he universalist kyriocentric rhetoric of Euro-American elite men does not simply reinforce the dominance of the male sex, but it legitimates the imperial "White Father" or, in black idiom, the enslaving "Boss-Man" as the universal subject. By implication, any critical theory — be it critical race, feminist, liberationist, or Marxist theory — that articulates gender, class, or race difference as a primary and originary difference masks the complex interstructuring of kyriarchal dominations inscribed in the subject positions of individual wo/men and in the status positions of dominance and subordination between wo/men. It also masks the participation of white elite wo/men, or better "ladies," and of Christian religion in kyriarchal oppression, insofar as both have served as civilizing colonialist conduits of kyriarchal knowledges, values, and culture.
This is the pseudoscience that proclaims that minorities cannot be racist and that women cannot be sexist. It's what Feyman called cargo-cult science.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:

IRA and Loyalists too. And those who have their heads sliced off by Muslim fanatics. First world problems, first world considerations. They need to get a passport and actually go to these places and get out of their Hotel rooms. I wonder how many going to AI will cross the border?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: false consciousness

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote:
[T]he universalist kyriocentric rhetoric of Euro-American elite men does not simply reinforce the dominance of the male sex, but it legitimates the imperial "White Father" or, in black idiom, the enslaving "Boss-Man" as the universal subject. By implication, any critical theory — be it critical race, feminist, liberationist, or Marxist theory — that articulates gender, class, or race difference as a primary and originary difference masks the complex interstructuring of kyriarchal dominations inscribed in the subject positions of individual wo/men and in the status positions of dominance and subordination between wo/men. It also masks the participation of white elite wo/men, or better "ladies," and of Christian religion in kyriarchal oppression, insofar as both have served as civilizing colonialist conduits of kyriarchal knowledges, values, and culture.
This is the pseudoscience that proclaims that minorities cannot be racist and that women cannot be sexist. It's what Feyman called cargo-cult science.
:lol: I think I've found a new sig!