Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
bhoytony

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by bhoytony »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:There's been a massive invasion of FtB-types on 4chan as of late, I guess. It wouldn't surprise me.
Really? I haven't had a look over there for a long time. I'd imagine they would be eaten alive, if they didn't keel over and die from shock first.

Time to don my biohazard suit and take a gander.

DGS

Post by DGS »

Pitchguest wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I do not consider myself a gamer as 99.99% of my experience is WOW and EQ2 both MMORPGs.

From Forbes:

Anita Sarkeesian's 'Damsel In Distress' Feminist Frequency Video Is Excellent And Important - Here's Why
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... heres-why/

Spoiler. He ends up complaining about this:
It’s the helicopter-parent theory of game design that’s the real threat to good games, not better, tougher, more heroic and fun-to-play female PCs.
Another social justice warrior called Erik. Oh dear. Anyway, the sad thing is that some of the comments provide a better and more balanced account on sexism in videogames than either Anita or Erik Kain. (Blasphemy to be called something as badass as 'Kain' and not live up to the name.) For instance Sarkeesian shoots out stereotypes like a machinegun but doesn't provide viable solutions herself how to resolve this, which this commenter pointed out:
The threatened bit comes from this point: Those who have watched her videos in the past, and noticed where she’s been incorrect in her reasoning, such as her support of segregated trams in Japan for women, have usually tried to correct her on those points. Often, they’re never responded to, however civil the point was, unless a quip could be made in response, or there was enough for an agreement to be made. And this is on the videos which allowed comments.

She only responds to critique that agrees with her, or what she feels like will work for her. If you’re making a series meant to start debate, like this one, that is the wrong kind of person to have at the helm. Much less someone whose work has been shown to be full of bad logic, and who offers no solutions to what they’re talking about.
Similarly they pointed out her flawed reasoning and sloppy research, like that video she made about Bayonetta which she later removed:
The lack of an alternative is also quite frustrating, as to some people Bayonetta might seem like the pinnacle of an empowered female protagonist; willfully overpowered and very sexy, but answers to no man (or anyone, really), has no romantic inclination toward anyone, and basically spends more time toying with men than being in the service of them. However, this particular character bothered her in the past, as apparently the only positive trait she has is that she’s a “single mother”?
(Speaking of, she did make a video game related video in this vein, on Bayonetta no less, before it was deleted from her channel. See here for a reupload:
And Zia from Bastion:
I simply don’t trust her to present this without something skewed to the way she sees it, and having that color people’s perceptions of these topics. Ignoring Ganon’s statement that Zelda had managed to hide from him for so many years being one hint of that, and her overuse of story-thin arcade games made in the 80′s and 90′s as supporting examples being another. And, lest we forget, she’s referred to Zia from Bastion as an example of this trope, despite Zia making it clear the opposite was true later in the story.
Again, I can't for the life of me figure out why people made Anita Sarkeesian a spokesperson of sexism within video games. She's clearly incapable of a balanced approach, not to mention showing herself to be incompentent on several occasions.

Here's a perspective from a game developer (who's a woman) on Sarkeesian:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24848045/neogaf.png

Oh, and since we're on the subject, while inexplicably much of Anita's focus was on Nintendo games, Mario and Zelda in particular, and then mentioned some more examples (removing the context, of course), they were hardly the only games with female characters. In fact, from the SNES era, one of my favourite games is Kiki KaiKai, or as it is more commonly known: Pocky & Rocky. A cute game (in the chibi format) featuring Rocky, a tanuki (or raccoon), and Pocky, a miko. That's right. A shrine maiden. And is it good? You bet your arse. Plus it features one of the best soundtrack in a videogame. But did she bring that up? No. Hmm. Odd, that.

I lied. Of course it isn't. For idealogues like Anita, if they brought up examples counter to their prejudice, their world would fall apart.

There's several other examples where this trope fails completely. Off the top of my head the Lufia series (which is based on a female character), Lagoon (where the strongest character is a woman), Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Wild Guns, Illusion of Gaia (or Time in Europe) - amazing games with great characters, men and women. But what gripes is that Anita seems to think that when a woman or little girl (like in Pocky & Rocky) is strong, they're only trying to emulate strong male characters and that's just annoying. (No, really, she outlined this in her thesis - in college. http://ouyaboards.com/images/smilies/sm ... cepalm.gif)
Did anyone see this custard storm about 'rape tropes' in the new Tomb Raider? http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1732 ... r_boys.php

I love Tomb Raider - but I am a first gen player so the re-booted ones have never been my favs. But Lara comes in for a lot of crap by orthodox feminists. I had to chime in (here http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1732 ... ment157425 )

Also this re Sarkeesian http://popsych.org/tropes-against-video-games/

Apples

you will obey setar

Post by Apples »

Looks like Setar the Angry Elf works at a weigh-station or something. This is not the first time he has gone on a Twitter rant while at work. I am just glad not to be a Canadian truck driver near him.
http://i.imgur.com/kgeJ2ph.jpg

Apples

Post by Apples »

Southern wrote:It's just me, or there is someone else here cheering for Becky to go against 4chan or Anonymous next?

That would provide enough entertainment for months!
Maybe she should go after Google, which is after all a cesspit of horrifying search results.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Apples wrote:Setar just went Full Setar again:
And, um...I can't help but see the similarities between Fascist organizations and the Slymepit. It's like the 'pitters are the internet equivalent of Fascist reactionaries like Golden Dawn -- or, hell, the early Nazis (OH NOES, I REFERENCED TEH NAZIS).
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F97DHpMHe_0/R ... -sitar.jpg
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 990#p72990
Perhaps I should go there and rub on Setar's face that I live in a country that suffered from a military dictatorship for about 30 years in the past century, and that he's triggering my sensibilities talking about me being a Fascist.

Setar, you dumb, useless fuck: unless you lived under a Fascist regime, you don't get to go calling others fascists.

Mzone

Post by Mzone »

Jack wrote:
Mzone wrote:
Jack wrote:'.......but I simply cannot tolerate being lied about or thought of as doing things I never did. It angers me, a hell of a lot. I would go to great lengths just to prove to someone that they were wrong, or correct them on something. That's just how I am.'

Alarm bells..danger Will Robinson.

I get lied about often, we all do. But some have not learned to let it go.
Hate to bring it up but REAP has said almost the exact same thing about PZ and being blocked from the forums to defend himself.

Mzone
Reap is not a stalker, she is (can't some of you see that?) Reap never threatened legal action. Eu is a clear liability and WILL entrap given the chance by accident or design, Reap is not. The two are not comparable.
I never even implied that REAP is a stalker. I just pointed out that REAP has said exactly the same thing. Everyone is up on Eu for the new web site, but REAP has done countless podcasts, photo shops, youtube videos, etc. He felt justified because lied about him.

Eu's sin.

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Postby Eucliwood » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 am • [Post 222]

decius wrote:
WTF...

LSuoma, this nutcase is going to land you into an ocean of troubles.

decius, I finally open up a quote of yours and it's about insulting me? If you want to play the paranoia-minor card, how about you leave me alone? You look kind of creepy insulting a minor whenever you can. What's that about? I'm scared.

Did I mention that I've been in contact with agents before? They're very minor-shield happy... I can find her card somewhere... if not, I'll just walk down to the department. Policemen also run in the family.

I'm not kidding about having to be in the presence of FBI workers before. I'm tired of your shit, though, so it might be worth it to wail victim and actually embrace it. YOU'RE the only one in any danger of landing in trouble, using honey pot insults against me. That is so old.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
I bet Eu feels like this guy after saying something dumb
[youtube]WOSNVI7I0mA[/youtube]

Mzone

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

16bitheretic wrote:That link to the NeoGAF post discussing Tropes vs Women was really good, too bad I was banned from GAF or I'd have posted my thoughts there too :P
Oh do tell! I love bannation stories.

bhoytony

Re: you will obey setar

Post by bhoytony »

Apples wrote:Looks like Setar the Angry Elf works at a weigh-station or something. This is not the first time he has gone on a Twitter rant while at work. I am just glad not to be a Canadian truck driver near him.
That's in interesting way to act tough to people who you are interacting with IN REAL LIFE.

I might try this in a biker bar or something. Go in, order a diet coke, stand at the bar and tweet.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU LOOKING AT? #biguglybikerwithaknife

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

AndrewV69 wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:That link to the NeoGAF post discussing Tropes vs Women was really good, too bad I was banned from GAF or I'd have posted my thoughts there too :P
Not much to it, got into a debate with a Nintendo fanatic, ended up saying something to the effect of "I'm done talking to N-tards like you.", made some passing reference to the Wii console as being nothing but a toy for spastic toddlers and old people with Parkinson's and the mods perma'd me.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Apples wrote:Looks like Setar the Angry Elf works at a weigh-station or something. This is not the first time he has gone on a Twitter rant while at work. I am just glad not to be a Canadian truck driver near him.
I would love to see him direct his complaints to the trucker in person.

Southern

Post by Southern »

16bitheretic wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Not much to it, got into a debate with a Nintendo fanatic, ended up saying something to the effect of "I'm done talking to N-tards like you.", made some passing reference to the Wii console as being nothing but a toy for spastic toddlers and old people with Parkinson's and the mods perma'd me.
Oh, that was unfair of you. The Wii got it's BIG share of shovelware, but it got a lot of good games too.

I'm thinking of buying one just for Xenoblade.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Well, I'll take his rants as being humorous and lets face it it is frustrating in some jobs.

Apples

Post by Apples »

bhoytony wrote:That's in interesting way to act tough to people who you are interacting with IN REAL LIFE.

I might try this in a biker bar or something. Go in, order a diet coke, stand at the bar and tweet.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU LOOKING AT? #biguglybikerwithaknife
LMAO

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Mzone wrote:
Jack wrote:
Mzone wrote:
Jack wrote:'.......but I simply cannot tolerate being lied about or thought of as doing things I never did. It angers me, a hell of a lot. I would go to great lengths just to prove to someone that they were wrong, or correct them on something. That's just how I am.'

Alarm bells..danger Will Robinson.

I get lied about often, we all do. But some have not learned to let it go.
Hate to bring it up but REAP has said almost the exact same thing about PZ and being blocked from the forums to defend himself.

Mzone
Reap is not a stalker, she is (can't some of you see that?) Reap never threatened legal action. Eu is a clear liability and WILL entrap given the chance by accident or design, Reap is not. The two are not comparable.
I never even implied that REAP is a stalker. I just pointed out that REAP has said exactly the same thing. Everyone is up on Eu for the new web site, but REAP has done countless podcasts, photo shops, youtube videos, etc. He felt justified because lied about him.

Eu's sin.

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Postby Eucliwood » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 am • [Post 222]

decius wrote:
WTF...

LSuoma, this nutcase is going to land you into an ocean of troubles.

decius, I finally open up a quote of yours and it's about insulting me? If you want to play the paranoia-minor card, how about you leave me alone? You look kind of creepy insulting a minor whenever you can. What's that about? I'm scared.

Did I mention that I've been in contact with agents before? They're very minor-shield happy... I can find her card somewhere... if not, I'll just walk down to the department. Policemen also run in the family.

I'm not kidding about having to be in the presence of FBI workers before. I'm tired of your shit, though, so it might be worth it to wail victim and actually embrace it. YOU'RE the only one in any danger of landing in trouble, using honey pot insults against me. That is so old.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
I bet Eu feels like this guy after saying something dumb
[youtube]WOSNVI7I0mA[/youtube]

Mzone
It's a lot more than that.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Jack wrote:
Well, I'll take his rants as being humorous and lets face it it is frustrating in some jobs.
Even though I would read these in a humorous way, I'm not quite sure his employer, or his customers, would....

Apples

Post by Apples »

MZone wrote:I never even implied that REAP is a stalker. I just pointed out that REAP has said exactly the same thing. Everyone is up on Eu for the new web site, but REAP has done countless podcasts, photo shops, youtube videos, etc. He felt justified because lied about him.
I don't think anyone begrudges her having a website and saying whatever she wants -- but the truth is she's behaved like a hilariously creepy spaz with even more issues than the average teenage forum-junky, and if she's gonna say crazy shit on the internet, she's liable to get quoted. As for the video - Eu didn't exactly get cuffed at the airport, and I don't think, considering all her antics leading up to her banning (not sure whether you witnessed them all), she has anything to complain about. She was allowed to tweak out here for quite a while.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

BTW, a bitr og dissonance between Setar's second and third tweets, yeah?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Jack wrote:
Yes, because setar is all about the LULZ.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Southern wrote:It's just me, or there is someone else here cheering for Becky to go against 4chan or Anonymous next?

I bet if she did that Slymepitters and other misogynist atheists would harass her with bad pictures and stuff.
I would be glued in place if a Twatson vs Anonymous/4 chan went down. I expect there would be a fair amount of lulz.

If she was smart she would not tempt them though. I do not believe too many have walked away from that experience without having a substantial amount of their epidermis flayed or their ass handed to them.

Like for example HBGary:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011 ... aftermath/

Sure she would get victim points. But she really really needs to delete anything incriminating or potentially embarrassing like her sex videos and all emails before she takes them on.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Git wrote:
Gumby wrote:I love that pic, Git.
Its a lovely relaxed pussy isn't it?

Speaking of which, how is your new one settling in?
When she's not licking my face off with her raspy little tongue, she's happily tearing around, acting like a complete doofus. She's settling in just fine :)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 1d8d80.jpg

Mzone

Post by Mzone »

Jack wrote:
Jack, I am not questioning the ban, I am questioning what has been going on after the ban. The photo shops, the posts. Post to your hearts content, but let her defend herself. Let's not be like PZ and FTB/A+ and ban and continue to trash. My 2 cents.

Mzone

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Gumby wrote:
Git wrote:
Gumby wrote:I love that pic, Git.
Its a lovely relaxed pussy isn't it?

Speaking of which, how is your new one settling in?
When she's not licking my face off with her raspy little tongue, she's happily tearing around, acting like a complete doofus. She's settling in just fine :)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 1d8d80.jpg

She's got polka dots!

Cool kitty gumby!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Mzone wrote:
Jack wrote:
Jack, I am not questioning the ban, I am questioning what has been going on after the ban. The photo shops, the posts. Post to your hearts content, but let her defend herself. Let's not be like PZ and FTB/A+ and ban and continue to trash. My 2 cents.

Mzone
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mzone

Post by Mzone »

Apples wrote:
MZone wrote:I never even implied that REAP is a stalker. I just pointed out that REAP has said exactly the same thing. Everyone is up on Eu for the new web site, but REAP has done countless podcasts, photo shops, youtube videos, etc. He felt justified because lied about him.
I don't think anyone begrudges her having a website and saying whatever she wants -- but the truth is she's behaved like a hilariously creepy spaz with even more issues than the average teenage forum-junky, and if she's gonna say crazy shit on the internet, she's liable to get quoted. As for the video - Eu didn't exactly get cuffed at the airport, and I don't think, considering all her antics leading up to her banning (not sure whether you witnessed them all), she has anything to complain about. She was allowed to tweak out here for quite a while.
No, this was all going down right when I joined the pit and the ban happened while I was on vacation for 2 weeks.
The video was hyperbole and supposed to elicit a laugh. A forceful exit out a door for saying profoundly stupid things.

Mzone

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

16bitheretic wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
LOL!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Mzone wrote:
Jack wrote:

Mzone
I have not commented about her blog she is entitled to do that. I am going by her overall behaviour and I am responding to those who seem to be happy to allow her to bait them. Their choice, I'm just expressing an opinion. Before I joined I decided under no circumstances would I respond to her. To me she was trouble. But that's me, others do as they wish of course.

She is baiting us now as we are talking about her, so this is the last time I will do so. It's just feeding into her delusions. She needs help but not from us.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Mzone wrote:
Jack wrote:

Mzone
Aye. "We" have had our say. It is her turn.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Mzone wrote:
Jack wrote:

Mzone
Aye. "We" have had our say. It is her turn.
Not here.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

bhoytony wrote:That's in interesting way to act tough to people who you are interacting with IN REAL LIFE. I might try this in a biker bar or something. Go in, order a diet coke, stand at the bar and tweet. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU LOOKING AT? #biguglybikerwithaknife
Or play it straight...

[youtube]e09snMu4www[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

Aneris wrote:
bhoytony wrote:That's in interesting way to act tough to people who you are interacting with IN REAL LIFE. I might try this in a biker bar or something. Go in, order a diet coke, stand at the bar and tweet. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU LOOKING AT? #biguglybikerwithaknife
Or play it straight...

[youtube]e09snMu4www[/youtube]

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

16bitheretic wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Awesome :lol:

Lapsang Souchong

Post by Lapsang Souchong »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:BTW, a bitr og dissonance between Setar's second and third tweets, yeah?
Indeed. It's been a few years since I last drove a truck and went across DOT (US) scales but I seem to recall a sign at the entrance to the scale saying, "Stop Here When Light Is Red". With a green light you proceed slowly across the scale and then continue on across unless the light turned red at which point you would be instructed to park for an inspection or to be told you are overweight on your axles.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

HA-HAAAA! Ophelia Benson, caught with her bloomers down -

Some of you might have noticed that Ophie's latest post is about Richard Dawkins' take on the UCL segregation of women thing that occurred when Lawrence Krauss went to speak there. In other words, she reposted pretty much all of Dawkins' content, with a little bit of her blather in between. You know, the usual.

Ophie then decides to share her fount of wisdom on the Dawkins blog. Unfortunately, look what happened:
Ophelia Benson

I've been doing my best to publicize this too. I learned about it via the invaluable Chris Moos of the LSE ASH society - who was also invaluable during the horrible episode last year when the LSE SU accused the ASH society of "Islamophobia". I did a post about it on Friday in the hopes that more people would be aware of the situation in time for the debate.

[Link to personal blog removed by moderator]

I updated the article to report the good news that the organizers had agreed there would be no gender segregation. Funny how it turns out they didn't mean a word of it! It's a stinking outrage.
http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundatio ... ge-london# (4th comment down)

So what does Ophie think of a moderator on another forum tampering with her spam? Well, let's check her twitter:
Ophelia Benson ‏@OpheliaBenson

@RichardDawkins @LKrauss1 I've tried to link to my Friday post that shows the orgs had agreed to no seg, at RDF, but mod keeps removing link

@SpokesGay @Doubting_Tom It's worse than that. They're removing a link to relevant & significant INFORMATION on a subject we all care about.

@SpokesGay Why indeed. I tried again and the mod removed the whole comment. Wtf is their problem? It contains relevant INFORMATION.
...and so on and so forth. Ophie's still complaining about her FREEZE PEACHES being curtailed at this very minute. :lol: :lol: :lol: *does Zippy laugh*

https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson

Apples

stop confusing me with the facts

Post by Apples »

Kassiane posts a thread called "Stealing an education?:
Kassiane wrote:So what I've got on this is a feministing article & a now closed petition.
http://feministing.com/2012/02/28/homel ... education/
http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-pr ... norwalk-ct

Summary (TW for racially motivated heavy-handed application of rules, classism)

Norwalk, CT charged a homeless woman who enrolled her 5 year old son in school using the babysitter's address with stealing an education & sentenced her to 5 years in prison.

...for utilizing our public education system. You know, that one that says every child is guaranteed a free education and in fact is required to be there from ages 6 to 16 unless the parents make homeschooling arrangements. Racism is a factor, in addition to classism. THey don't want THOSE kids in their kindergarten class. Assholes. I dont even see what they're trying to fucking accomplish here.
Wow. That's pretty shocking - 5 years?
Iguananaut wrote:Because putting a woman in jail for nothing and taking her away from her children whom she was only trying to provide an education is exactly what's best for society. I hope these racist fuckers pull their heads out of their asses.
Relative newbie e4e5 weighs in:
e4e5 wrote:Umm, it seems that she was sentenced for selling crack cocaine to undercover policemen. Twice.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Tany ... 437974.php
So ... does Kassiane apologize, or does anyone else call her out, for being completely misleading in the OP? I'll give you three guesses.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4161

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Anyone get the feeling that Watson is trying to one up Anita? It's the same script she used on the atheist/skeptic community, insult/get pushback and threats/use threats as evidence and as a shield against any legitimate points.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

And now Ophie is complaining about what a moderator on another blog did to her post over at B&W:
Ophelia Benson

March 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm (UTC -7)

Deanna, I don’t know. If it is standard practice it’s odd, because there’s nothing about removing links to blogs in the Terms & Conditions. And even if it is standard practice, they ought to be intelligent and flexible enough to make exceptions for actual information. The post isn’t just me gassing, it has information.
Get that? When a moderator on another blog tampers with her comment, they're denying the rest of us poor plebs the information she has to impart to us. However, when she tampers with or removes a comment wholesale from her blog...

Silly old dingbat.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-494302

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Maximus wrote:Anyone get the feeling that Watson is trying to one up Anita? It's the same script she used on the atheist/skeptic community, insult/get pushback and threats/use threats as evidence and as a shield against any legitimate points.
-that's IF the bait is taken by reddit etc.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

And Ophie goes and does it again!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ophelia Benson

New information via Chris Moos of the LSE Atheist Secularist and Humanist Society. What he describes is shocking. There were segregated queues; there were five security guards provided by the organizers, who tried to physically remove audience members who refused to comply with gender segregation.

[Link to personal blog removed by moderator for 4th time. Please do not repost]

03/10/2013 19:25 PM
http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundatio ... ge-london#

Just too fuckin funny. And yes, they're getting very screencapped! :D

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:And Ophie goes and does it again!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ophelia Benson

New information via Chris Moos of the LSE Atheist Secularist and Humanist Society. What he describes is shocking. There were segregated queues; there were five security guards provided by the organizers, who tried to physically remove audience members who refused to comply with gender segregation.

Let's see, if someone did that at FfTB you'd hear the whistling of the incoming banhammer from the fucking Orion Nebula!

JackSkeptic

Re: stop confusing me with the facts

Post by JackSkeptic »

Apples wrote:Kassiane posts a thread called "Stealing an education?:
Kassiane wrote:So what I've got on this is a feministing article & a now closed petition.
http://feministing.com/2012/02/28/homel ... education/
http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-pr ... norwalk-ct

Summary (TW for racially motivated heavy-handed application of rules, classism)

Norwalk, CT charged a homeless woman who enrolled her 5 year old son in school using the babysitter's address with stealing an education & sentenced her to 5 years in prison.

...for utilizing our public education system. You know, that one that says every child is guaranteed a free education and in fact is required to be there from ages 6 to 16 unless the parents make homeschooling arrangements. Racism is a factor, in addition to classism. THey don't want THOSE kids in their kindergarten class. Assholes. I dont even see what they're trying to fucking accomplish here.
Wow. That's pretty shocking - 5 years?
Iguananaut wrote:Because putting a woman in jail for nothing and taking her away from her children whom she was only trying to provide an education is exactly what's best for society. I hope these racist fuckers pull their heads out of their asses.
Relative newbie e4e5 weighs in:
e4e5 wrote:Umm, it seems that she was sentenced for selling crack cocaine to undercover policemen. Twice.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Tany ... 437974.php
So ... does Kassiane apologize, or does anyone else call her out, for being completely misleading in the OP? I'll give you three guesses.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4161
Actually she is correct on close reading of the article. More luck than judgement I suspect.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ophelia!

No!

Don't!

Just don't double down on this to protect those FREEZE PEACHES you have for us all, Ophelia!

Stop.

Just. Don't.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Maximus wrote:Anyone get the feeling that Watson is trying to one up Anita? It's the same script she used on the atheist/skeptic community, insult/get pushback and threats/use threats as evidence and as a shield against any legitimate points.
Yep, she's setting up for an exit and broadening options now her antics in secular events is limited.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

What I don't get is this: if Ophelia is so insistent that she's just providing useful information, then why not just copypaste it to the RDFRS blog, rather than link to it? It's not as if she's unfamiliar with bulk copypasting, after all. :lol:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:What I don't get is this: if Ophelia is so insistent that she's just providing useful information, then why not just copypaste it to the RDFRS blog, rather than link to it? It's not as if she's unfamiliar with bulk copypasting, after all. :lol:
I wonder if a directive has gone out from Oberst Lyers and Führer Brayton to GET MOAR LINKZ!

Be interesting to watch for Baboollies pushing links to FfTB on other high-traffic sites.

mordacious1

RD.net/separate seating by gender

Post by mordacious1 »

It's interesting that Ophie is complaining about separate seating by gender at a talk at University College, London. If JREF announced the same policy at TAM, in order to reduce sexual harassment of women, I would think that Ophie and others would jump for joy. Gotta protect the wimmin from those potential rapists. I see no difference in the islamic stance on this and the FfTB feminists. Women need protection from men.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Jack wrote:Actually she is correct on close reading of the article. More luck than judgement I suspect.
Ha! Interesting - you're right. She was out on bond for the school "larceny" and then got picked up on the drug charges- 12 years suspended for the narcotics of which she has to serve 5, concurrent with 5 for the "larceny." Given the way the system works, it's hard to say what the outcome of the school case would have been if she hadn't gotten these other charges. The judge does say:

"This case is about the convictions for the sale of narcotics to an undercover police officer," the judge said. "I think you understand that because that is really the essence of what has gotten you into the predicament you find yourself today."

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Tany ... z2NAWcujvW

All that said - the war on drugs is ridiculous and effectively racist, and draconian punishments for "stealing" public school educations are preposterous. My only beef is Kassiane and co.'s apparent indifference to the full context of the story. Anyway - good catch, Jack.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

If memory serves, Dawkins during one of the "outrages" tweeted to the effect, that the way to deal with drama whores, was to not go to their blogs. Having drama whores put links to their drama machine on his ground is probably contrary to his objective of ignoring them into oblivion.

Benson's hypocracy is gold though! "Omg! How darez they treat ME likes this, i haves the valuable on my blogz, its information! They are silencing ME! i IS ViCTIM of ze censors! They are just like the Mafia!"

tina

Post by tina »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:And Ophie goes and does it again!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ophelia Benson

Let's see, if someone did that at FfTB you'd hear the whistling of the incoming banhammer from the fucking Orion Nebula!
In space...you can't hear banha..?....oh, never mind

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Skep tickle wrote:
rayshul wrote:Rather liked this article:
I’ve seen so much energy spent on telling girls that “they can do it, too!”, but I worry what message this is really sending. It seems to remind you that you belong to a minority, which is its own sort of reinforcement, much in the same way I was perpetuating gender bias as a kid. But there are studies that show when you present kids just with life as if it were normally always this way they simply accept it as such.
Makes a nice argument against identity politics in a way I wish I'd done first.
Oh ya, I've thought quite a bit about this. Seems to me that messages like "Girls can do [x]!" may plant seeds of doubt for girls about whether or not they themselves really can do [x].

I hear this a fair amount at math competitions, including one last month where the speaker invited to fill time after the test-taking & before the awards blathered on about how great it was to see so many girls there (indeed, about half were girls) and how girls really can be good at math and can go on to become engineers etc. I was embarrassed for him and a little angry. My guess is that most of the girls there hadn't been feeling out of place or outclassed, and of course half the kids there were ignored in his speech - so much for "motivational". Whereas welcoming & cheering on ALL the kids there, and celebrating their enthusiasm for math & their accomplishments, etc, would have seemed more appropriate and IMO probably more effective. I've also noticed that most of the math coaches at elementary schools in this area seem to be women, so certainly the kids have role models at that level for women who are enthusiastic about math and hopefully share that enthusiasm with ALL the kids they teach & coach. (At middle school & senior high school levels, the coaches do seem to be mostly men.)

I also cringe at all the talk about how "you don't have to be scared of math!" - what if it hadn't actually occurred to the person - probably more likely female than male - to be scared of math, they just saw it at dry & difficult or something. But that example focuses more on messages about math, whereas your focus is, appropriately, messages to people who are members of a sub-group assumed to perform less well, and need encouragement, in some specific area.

I went to elementary school in a small conservative farm town 25 years ago, yet our scholastic competitions were always pretty well gender balanced, and more than half of the top students at my elementary school and high school were girls. I know things can be different in extremely poor or highly conservative and religious places, but how much does that really affect the averages? As far as I can tell, most of western society is moving right along toward gender parity in all areas of education. I suspect that certain advanced fields that take a decade or more of study to get started in, women might always be a slight minority, just due to the ones that take time off to have kids....but I don't see how that is any kind of social problem.

Womens been doin' the thinky for a long time now!

I also agree that all the hoopla probably does more harm than good, at least in situations where it wasn't really a problem to begin with. Feeling "included on purpose" is almost as uncomfortable as feeling excluded on purpose. It's a lot like when christians go out of their way to show their "christian love" for us sinners.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Aneris wrote:
Or play it straight...

[youtube]e09snMu4www[/youtube
I'm tempted to post the old Rex Kramer Danger Seeker clip from Kentucky Fried Movie and give OB ammunition for several posts.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Jan Steen wrote:http://i.imgur.com/BEyIF9L.jpg

(You didn't really think I could kill those adorable creatures?)

All your shoops are fucking awesome, and the piranhas are the Most Ut. I was hoping they'd pull a JR Ewing!

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tigzy wrote:HA-HAAAA! Ophelia Benson, caught with her bloomers down -

Some of you might have noticed that Ophie's latest post is about Richard Dawkins' take on the UCL segregation of women thing that occurred when Lawrence Krauss went to speak there. In other words, she reposted pretty much all of Dawkins' content, with a little bit of her blather in between. You know, the usual.

Ophie then decides to share her fount of wisdom on the Dawkins blog. Unfortunately, look what happened:
Ophelia Benson

I've been doing my best to publicize this too. I learned about it via the invaluable Chris Moos of the LSE ASH society - who was also invaluable during the horrible episode last year when the LSE SU accused the ASH society of "Islamophobia". I did a post about it on Friday in the hopes that more people would be aware of the situation in time for the debate.

[Link to personal blog removed by moderator]

I updated the article to report the good news that the organizers had agreed there would be no gender segregation. Funny how it turns out they didn't mean a word of it! It's a stinking outrage.
http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundatio ... ge-london# (4th comment down)

So what does Ophie think of a moderator on another forum tampering with her spam? Well, let's check her twitter:

@RichardDawkins @LKrauss1 I've tried to link to my Friday post that shows the orgs had agreed to no seg, at RDF, but mod keeps removing link

@SpokesGay @Doubting_Tom It's worse than that. They're removing a link to relevant & significant INFORMATION on a subject we all care about.

@SpokesGay Why indeed. I tried again and the mod removed the whole comment. Wtf is their problem? It contains relevant INFORMATION.
...and so on and so forth. Ophie's still complaining about her FREEZE PEACHES being curtailed at this very minute. :lol: :lol: :lol: *does Zippy laugh*

https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson
Hey Prunella:

http://i.imgur.com/tpL1I3P.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh, this is priceless - when one of Ophie's posts gets moderated to remove a link, it is - no less - A War on Information:
A war on information now?

Notes and Comment Blog

by Ophelia Benson

As I mentioned, Richard Dawkins has an informative post about the UCL debate yesterday at RDF. Very good. I tried to add to the information Richard provided by linking to the information I had provided on Friday, but a moderator removed the link to my post almost instantly.

Why?

I took a look at the Terms & Conditions, and I can’t find anything that forbids links to blog posts. I’m not surprised not to find such a thing, because that would be an incredibly stupid policy for a website to have. Blog posts can be informative, so it would be ludicrous to make a general policy against links to blogs.

So then why?

I have no idea. The Friday post is relevant because it documents that the organizers were on the record as having agreed to Krauss’s insistence that there be no gender segregation. It documents that this was public information on Friday.

Why on earth remove that?

I did another comment explaining the (obvious) relevance and asking for the link to be left, but that whole comment was deleted.

What is wrong with them? If they have an ironclad rule against posting blog links, why isn’t it visible somewhere? And if they do, why do they, when it would be such a stupid rule?

Then I wrote the post that quoted Chris Moos’s new letter to UCL, and commented at RDF to say I had new information and posted that link – and it was instantly removed.

What is wrong with them?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ation-now/
http://www.freezepage.com/1362946807SQCYMQVEXJ

Also, she's claiming that there's nothing in the T&Cs she linked to that should prevent her from posting a link to her blog. Given that FTB is a commercial enterprise, I think this might offer a clue:
No spam. That includes commercial advertising, anything posted multiple times on one or more threads, and the habitual posting of material that has simply been lifted from other sites in order to make a point.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:Oh, this is priceless - when one of Ophie's posts gets moderated to remove a link, it is - no less - A War on Information:

Also, she's claiming that there's nothing in the T&Cs she linked to that should prevent her from posting a link to her blog. Given that FTB is a commercial enterprise, I think this might offer a clue:
No spam. That includes commercial advertising, anything posted multiple times on one or more threads, and the habitual posting of material that has simply been lifted from other sites in order to make a point.
It looks like somebody has hijacked the Prune's page - there's no quoting of anyone else in that post, so it can't be by FeeFee.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

If she managed to get on /b/'s radar, she'd think the Slymepit were some of her best friends ever in comparison.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 332303.jpg

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Apples wrote:
Jack wrote:Actually she is correct on close reading of the article. More luck than judgement I suspect.
Ha! Interesting - you're right. She was out on bond for the school "larceny" and then got picked up on the drug charges- 12 years suspended for the narcotics of which she has to serve 5, concurrent with 5 for the "larceny." Given the way the system works, it's hard to say what the outcome of the school case would have been if she hadn't gotten these other charges. The judge does say:

"This case is about the convictions for the sale of narcotics to an undercover police officer," the judge said. "I think you understand that because that is really the essence of what has gotten you into the predicament you find yourself today."

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Tany ... z2NAWcujvW

All that said - the war on drugs is ridiculous and effectively racist, and draconian punishments for "stealing" public school educations are preposterous. My only beef is Kassiane and co.'s apparent indifference to the full context of the story. Anyway - good catch, Jack.
The article says the school issue was 5 years and she got a lot of sympathy before the drugs case. But it is not a well written article so easy to miss. Of course that still makes the Ops post misleading as it does not give the full picture.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Za-zen wrote:If memory serves, Dawkins during one of the "outrages" tweeted to the effect, that the way to deal with drama whores, was to not go to their blogs. Having drama whores put links to their drama machine on his ground is probably contrary to his objective of ignoring them into oblivion.

Benson's hypocracy is gold though! "Omg! How darez they treat ME likes this, i haves the valuable on my blogz, its information! They are silencing ME! i IS ViCTIM of ze censors! They are just like the Mafia!"
It also doesn't help that she sat the nodding like a fucking bobblehead while Sivuku Hutchinson called Dawkins a white supremacist. The entitlement runs strong through the old bat. What the fuck does she expect? What a clueless bint.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Someone on Ophie's blog has just linked to where RDFRS makes it clear about spamming your own blog:
Don’t include any form of advertising, whether it is for a commercial service or your personal blog.
http://www.richarddawkins.net/home/faq#faq_discussions

Their blog; their rules. Right, Ophie? No more reason to complain now...is there?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Tigzy wrote:Oh, this is priceless - when one of Ophie's posts gets moderated to remove a link, it is - no less - A War on Information:
A war on information now?

Notes and Comment Blog

by Ophelia Benson

As I mentioned, Richard Dawkins has an informative post about the UCL debate yesterday at RDF. Very good. I tried to add to the information Richard provided by linking to the information I had provided on Friday, but a moderator removed the link to my post almost instantly.

Why?

I took a look at the Terms & Conditions, and I can’t find anything that forbids links to blog posts. I’m not surprised not to find such a thing, because that would be an incredibly stupid policy for a website to have. Blog posts can be informative, so it would be ludicrous to make a general policy against links to blogs.

So then why?

I have no idea. The Friday post is relevant because it documents that the organizers were on the record as having agreed to Krauss’s insistence that there be no gender segregation. It documents that this was public information on Friday.

Why on earth remove that?

I did another comment explaining the (obvious) relevance and asking for the link to be left, but that whole comment was deleted.

What is wrong with them? If they have an ironclad rule against posting blog links, why isn’t it visible somewhere? And if they do, why do they, when it would be such a stupid rule?

Then I wrote the post that quoted Chris Moos’s new letter to UCL, and commented at RDF to say I had new information and posted that link – and it was instantly removed.

What is wrong with them?

God is she a moaner.

Apples

Post by Apples »

It may very well be slightly unreasonable for them to strip the link in this case, but it sounds like she's getting obnoxious about it, and it's not like she doesn't have options -- she could simply say, "I blogged about this on Friday a few times - check out my blog at Butterflies and Wheels." Or as Tigz pointed out she could simply summarize the precious and crucial "information' in her comment at RDF without a link.

But as we all know -- it's all about Ophie (the Intrepid Reporter who reads twitter and facebook and knows some dude who emailed her about the incident -- I mean she's practically Woodward and Bernstein, the Pulitzer Committee will be calling any minute now) -- and if Ophie is unhappy about something, THE WORLD MUST HEAR ABOUT IT.

War on Information. That is pricelessly grandiose.