Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Skep tickle

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Skep tickle »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ts-really/

Avicenna in a blogpost titled "Women aren’t Feminists? Really?" It's long, and gets into MRM (apparently equating AVfM with it, and any actual "men's rights" work with feminism). I did not read the AVfM open letter he seems to be referring to. I won't try to quote or address anywhere near the whole thing, but here are a few clips (all bolding added by me):
Avicenna wrote:Some people have a bizarre idea about what “Feminism” is.

From the people who routinely think Feminism is about ruling all the men to those who claim “I am a no feminist but I support women’s equality”.

I missed out on a lot of stuff over the 3 weeks I was off swanning around with my pretty lady.
I imagine he thinks he's complimenting "[his] pretty lady", being sweet, or possibly it's an in joke? Otherwise, that looks like insight fail on the feminism thing to me. (Sort of like "Trophy Wife": possessed and for show.)
Avicenna wrote:In the same way that the majority of my readers need not fear the lash of malaria, the women of WAM [Women Action Media] need not fear these things as much. What they do “fear” is the culture of misogyny which makes it harder for women to do the same things as men do.

I know I get readers from MRA movements here. So I will explain this as simple as possible. While women have it easy in some ways compared to men, men have it easier in more ways and in more important ways.

Let’s take a reverse sexism example. Nursing. People say that Male Nurses tend to be excellent. It’s my experience that male nurses tend to be “better” than female ones on average.

Why?

For the same reason that women in medicine in my mother’s generation were excellent. In order to stay in the club you had to be so good that no one could fault you. Men in nursing are playing in hard mode and so have to be good enough. The average and the sub par do not make it.
After the insult to those knuckle-dragging cave-MRAs, he moves on to an argument based on not necessarily even anecdotal evidence but possibly just his impressions. How does he really know male nurses are "better"? That seems like a difficult determination to make. (I'll add, I work with nurses of both genders too.) What's he basing that on, his interactions with them? Is it possible that he might have a more positive impression of just about any man in a job than a woman in the same job? (I'm not saying he does, but that it wouldn't be inconsistent with the claims of pervasive devaluation of women's input and work.)
Avicenna wrote:Yes ["Kicking a man in the groin or outright threatening to castrate him" is] acceptable comedy in the same way that laughing at stuff that white people do is acceptable comedy.

Do you know “why”?

Because if the most misandric thing about society is laughing at simulated violence against men then your life is “Fucking Awesome”.

Because the majority of violence is perpetrated by men. The biggest kickers of testicles are possessors of testicles.
Wait, I missed the memo, are they deciding what's "acceptable comedy" now? And deciding when other people shouldn't feel differently, and in fact somehow objectively have "Fucking Awesome" lives because the sexism they see/face goes the "right" way?

I have to wonder, might a physician with this attitude think it's okay to treat white male patients differently (less well) than women patients and non-white patients????? (I'm not saying he does. I'm saying I wonder. I imagine that would be widely considered unprofessional.)
Avicenna wrote:Here’s the thing. Rape can be funny, it can be the punchline to a joke. Just like Boris the Soviet Love Hammer can be one too.

Unless you have been raped. Then it’s not funny any more. Your actual complain is “Why Can’t We Laugh About Rape, Why Should We Care What Rape Victims Think or Feel or Say”. Which is how they became rape victims in the first place.
Uh, I missed something in the transition to that last sentence. He goes on:
Avicenna wrote:It’s not social justice, it’s about taste and image. ...

So you want Facebook to allow rape jokes and mistreatment of rape victims solely to spite feminists?

You are right. “Feminists” are not the only women watching how Facebook runs. There are also women who believe that men and women are equal. There are women who were raped also watching.

Just because you don’t call yourself a feminist doesn’t mean you aren’t one.
Okay, so maybe there's some group that's defending the posting of rape jokes "solely to spite feminists". I didn't go searching for support for his claims. But his insistence that feminists "believe that men and women are equal" seems to me to have been quite undercut by some of his other comments above, including how jokes about harm to men are fine and if that's all one has to face one's life is Fucking Awesome.

Also his insistence that people who don't care to call themselves feminists are indeed feminists. Back off, sir; keep your labels to yourself.

Also his limitation, apparently, of "feminist" to apply only to women; at the end, apparently, a "feminist" is a woman who "believes that men and women are equal" even if she can accept them being treated unequally because women get treated worse than men and men dish it out anyway, and even if she doesn't want to be called a feminist. Got it (I think).

There are currently 3 comments, including this one (bolding added):
Francisco Bacopa wrote:June 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM (UTC 5.5)

I had a friend who said she wasn’t a feminist. I totally flipped out on her. “Really? Your entire life was given to you by feminism. You went to graduate school? Feminism! You vote, feminism. You went to graduate school in an MSW program that was set up as an alternative to male-dominated psychology programs to train therapists? Feminism! And weren’t almost all of your professors in your MSW program women? Feminists set that shit up for you in the 60′s and 70′s. I happen to know that the building you worked in at UH wasn’t built until the late 70′s. And you’re pregnant, and you expect to be able to cut back to core clients after you have your baby while not being kicked out of your partnership in your office. You’d pretty damn well be a feminist.”
Fabulous; a man - and one who has come across as threatening in some of his prior posts at FtB - being proud, it seems, of trying to bully a woman into saying she's a feminist. Again - insight fail on the feminism thing.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/Bf6bdtp.png
I see your shark and raise you one Ambulocetus.

http://i.imgur.com/1L8Oqdf.jpg
I came.
http://i.imgur.com/5bOtL3g.png

sacha

Post by sacha »

Parody Accountant wrote:
ERV wrote:CROCS OBTAINED

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Ridiculously comfortable, and I didnt get the classic ugly ones, just look like brown flip-flops. Partner tried them on and didnt see what the big deal was. But I went from 'uuugh hurts to walk...' to 'hmmm... doesnt hurt... actually feels pretty damn good!' Got to walk around Bricktown a bit today and stupid ankle is fine!

So this is me now:
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 581853.jpg
Abbie... no. Crocs are like mom jeans, uggz, hoodie vests, homer simpson's big blue pants, corduroy, shoulder pads, maxi pads... Except uglier.
who gives a fuck, if they are comfortable? I wore crocs for comfort for a long time. I now wear these, almost exclusively, year round (think I'm on my 8th pair)
shoes.jpg
(33.54 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
unless it's just too cold, and then I wear vegetarian Uggs slides, or if it's raining, and then I wear wellies.

I have other shoes that are comfortable, but not nearly as comfortable as the above which I sometimes wear if I'm not walking far.

No one is going to look at my shoes and decide I'm no longer attractive. seriously get some perspective.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

jjbinx007 wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... #more-7964
Wow. She tagged Michael Nugent. She’s actually actively trying to get me disinvited from a speaking engagement at a conference. Now that’s harassment.
It’s a lie, too. I don’t bully secular women. I don’t, for instance, do what Sara Mayhew does. I don’t endlessly tweet about people I dislike. I don’t try to get them disinvited from things. I don’t make up shit about them. I’ve never bullied Sara Mayhew.
I did not have sex with that woman.
Make sure you pass that message on to Greta Christina and Myers, dear Ophie.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

NO DIS IS WAT I LOOK LIEK!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/C ... /CROCS.jpg

They just look like brown flip-flops but SO COMFY.

I WANT THE STUPID RED ONES. I WANT THEM!

But I cant cause those are not at all lab appropriate :(

mordacious1

HP dv7 Problem

Post by mordacious1 »

Wonderist wrote:
HP Pavilion dv7, from back when I wasn't (completely, just mostly) broke.
Throw it away (I mean recycle). The problem with those laptops is not with the CPU, batteries, or whatever else was mentioned. The problem was that HP was (knowingly, I might add) putting defective Nvidia GPUs in their laptops. They tried to do cheap fixes (just to get their crap through warranty) by doing a BIOS update which would turn the fan on basically all the time. This only postponed the inevitable. Nvidia lost a class action lawsuit and the judge agreed to have HP replace thousands of very expensive laptops with Compaq CQ56 craptops which are worth about $200. If you replace the CPU, it will just fry again. You'd have to replace the GPU also. Google "Nvidia Class Action Lawsuit" for more info. Good luck.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Currently the 2 entries at the top of Pogsurf's blog are, 1 after the other:

http://pogsurf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/p ... award.html

http://pogsurf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/w ... inner.html

I'm going to guess there's a connection between the 2...

mordacious1

Flow chart

Post by mordacious1 »

Oh, while I'm here: Quit using my picture in flowcharts with Oprah on them. It's disturbing, to say the least. I despise that woman...she's evil.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:By the way, I've completely uninstalled and disabled all antivirus and firewall software in my computer because we should be telling people not to write viruses.
Good for you. I leave my car unlocked, windows down and cash, sat-nav and mobile phone on the dashboard because we should teach people not to steal stuff.
I can and have done so (except I have some cash in an envelope in the door pocket). But I live in a high trust area out in the sticks. Many of my neighbours never lock their doors day or night, even if they are going to be gone for a few months.

I also regularly pick up hitchhikers. Once, one in the back seat found a stray $20 on the floor and handed it to me.

But like I said before, this is a high trust area and when I am in Vancouver or a small town where I do not know the people, I do lock the car and my stuff is in the trunk.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Skep tickle wrote:Currently the 2 entries at the top of Pogsurf's blog are, 1 after the other:

While on the subject of Pogsurf, check this out:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4862

Pogsurf is also on Colon's block bot.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Pogsurf linked here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... nt-page-1/
Violating privacy. It takes very bad behavior to get me to expose a poster’s identity; you aren’t allowed to do it at all. Posting phone numbers or addresses, unveiling real names behind pseudonyms…the banhammer comes down, along with comment deletion.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

jjbinx007 wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Currently the 2 entries at the top of Pogsurf's blog are, 1 after the other:

While on the subject of Pogsurf, check this out:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4862

Pogsurf is also on Colon's block bot.
3 moderator notices in a 9-post thread. Quite the overachiever, I see. :lol:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Skep tickle wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ts-really/

Avicenna in a blogpost titled "Women aren’t Feminists? Really?" It's long, and gets into MRM (apparently equating AVfM with it, and any actual "men's rights" work with feminism). I did not read the AVfM open letter he seems to be referring to. I won't try to quote or address anywhere near the whole thing, but here are a few clips (all bolding added by me):
Avicenna wrote:Some people have a bizarre idea about what “Feminism” is.

From the people who routinely think Feminism is about ruling all the men to those who claim “I am a no feminist but I support women’s equality”.

I missed out on a lot of stuff over the 3 weeks I was off swanning around with my pretty lady.
I imagine he thinks he's complimenting "[his] pretty lady", being sweet, or possibly it's an in joke? Otherwise, that looks like insight fail on the feminism thing to me. (Sort of like "Trophy Wife": possessed and for show.)
Avicenna wrote:In the same way that the majority of my readers need not fear the lash of malaria, the women of WAM [Women Action Media] need not fear these things as much. What they do “fear” is the culture of misogyny which makes it harder for women to do the same things as men do.

I know I get readers from MRA movements here. So I will explain this as simple as possible. While women have it easy in some ways compared to men, men have it easier in more ways and in more important ways.

Let’s take a reverse sexism example. Nursing. People say that Male Nurses tend to be excellent. It’s my experience that male nurses tend to be “better” than female ones on average.

Why?

For the same reason that women in medicine in my mother’s generation were excellent. In order to stay in the club you had to be so good that no one could fault you. Men in nursing are playing in hard mode and so have to be good enough. The average and the sub par do not make it.
After the insult to those knuckle-dragging cave-MRAs, he moves on to an argument based on not necessarily even anecdotal evidence but possibly just his impressions. How does he really know male nurses are "better"? That seems like a difficult determination to make. (I'll add, I work with nurses of both genders too.) What's he basing that on, his interactions with them? Is it possible that he might have a more positive impression of just about any man in a job than a woman in the same job? (I'm not saying he does, but that it wouldn't be inconsistent with the claims of pervasive devaluation of women's input and work.)
Avicenna wrote:Yes ["Kicking a man in the groin or outright threatening to castrate him" is] acceptable comedy in the same way that laughing at stuff that white people do is acceptable comedy.

Do you know “why”?

Because if the most misandric thing about society is laughing at simulated violence against men then your life is “Fucking Awesome”.

Because the majority of violence is perpetrated by men. The biggest kickers of testicles are possessors of testicles.
Wait, I missed the memo, are they deciding what's "acceptable comedy" now? And deciding when other people shouldn't feel differently, and in fact somehow objectively have "Fucking Awesome" lives because the sexism they see/face goes the "right" way?

I have to wonder, might a physician with this attitude think it's okay to treat white male patients differently (less well) than women patients and non-white patients????? (I'm not saying he does. I'm saying I wonder. I imagine that would be widely considered unprofessional.)
Avicenna wrote:Here’s the thing. Rape can be funny, it can be the punchline to a joke. Just like Boris the Soviet Love Hammer can be one too.

Unless you have been raped. Then it’s not funny any more. Your actual complain is “Why Can’t We Laugh About Rape, Why Should We Care What Rape Victims Think or Feel or Say”. Which is how they became rape victims in the first place.
Uh, I missed something in the transition to that last sentence. He goes on:
Avicenna wrote:It’s not social justice, it’s about taste and image. ...

So you want Facebook to allow rape jokes and mistreatment of rape victims solely to spite feminists?

You are right. “Feminists” are not the only women watching how Facebook runs. There are also women who believe that men and women are equal. There are women who were raped also watching.

Just because you don’t call yourself a feminist doesn’t mean you aren’t one.
Okay, so maybe there's some group that's defending the posting of rape jokes "solely to spite feminists". I didn't go searching for support for his claims. But his insistence that feminists "believe that men and women are equal" seems to me to have been quite undercut by some of his other comments above, including how jokes about harm to men are fine and if that's all one has to face one's life is Fucking Awesome.

Also his insistence that people who don't care to call themselves feminists are indeed feminists. Back off, sir; keep your labels to yourself.

Also his limitation, apparently, of "feminist" to apply only to women; at the end, apparently, a "feminist" is a woman who "believes that men and women are equal" even if she can accept them being treated unequally because women get treated worse than men and men dish it out anyway, and even if she doesn't want to be called a feminist. Got it (I think).

I had a friend who said she wasn’t a feminist. I totally flipped out on her. “Really? Your entire life was given to you by feminism. You went to graduate school? Feminism! You vote, feminism. You went to graduate school in an MSW program that was set up as an alternative to male-dominated psychology programs to train therapists? Feminism! And weren’t almost all of your professors in your MSW program women? Feminists set that shit up for you in the 60′s and 70′s. I happen to know that the building you worked in at UH wasn’t built until the late 70′s. And you’re pregnant, and you expect to be able to cut back to core clients after you have your baby while not being kicked out of your partnership in your office. You’d pretty damn well be a feminist.”
Fabulous; a man - and one who has come across as threatening in some of his prior posts at FtB - being proud, it seems, of trying to bully a woman into saying she's a feminist. Again - insight fail on the feminism thing.
Don't they all know they need to shut up and listen to the women?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

deLurch wrote:Unless you are purchasing a really cheap laptop, I would suggest getting a warranty that lasts the expected life of your laptop in the future. It is one of the rare purchases, where this makes sense.

If you want quality, go for Toshiba. Or else you can go cheap and just take the risk that it may poop out on you (that is my direction).
I would not buy a HP myself as their kit do not seem to last longer than four years. You might also want to check into a Lenovo or an Asus as well as Toshiba if you want quality.

(I have a couple of disposable Acers and a MacBook Pro but I am not recommending either as appropriate for you).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Avicenna wrote:Here’s the thing. Rape can be funny
I don't think I'll be hanging out with Avicenna for a few laughs any time soon.
Avicenna wrote:Just because you don’t call yourself a feminist doesn’t mean you aren’t one.
In other news, atheists like Avicenna really believe in God.
http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com ... is-no-god/

Parody Accountant

ERV wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _cover.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Rage!!1!! Grrrnnnrhhharrrrnhhhh!1!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/9000 ... 36283e.jpg
Pineapple1 by BarnOwl83, on Flickr

JAB

Post by JAB »

Skep tickle wrote:

Why do I get the feeling that the reason she got so educated wasn't so much due to feminism as it was to the fact she was white and in a developed country?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

JAB

Post by JAB »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:By the way, I've completely uninstalled and disabled all antivirus and firewall software in my computer because we should be telling people not to write viruses.
Good for you. I leave my car unlocked, windows down and cash, sat-nav and mobile phone on the dashboard because we should teach people not to steal stuff.
I can and have done so (except I have some cash in an envelope in the door pocket). But I live in a high trust area out in the sticks. Many of my neighbours never lock their doors day or night, even if they are going to be gone for a few months.

I also regularly pick up hitchhikers. Once, one in the back seat found a stray $20 on the floor and handed it to me.

But like I said before, this is a high trust area and when I am in Vancouver or a small town where I do not know the people, I do lock the car and my stuff is in the trunk.
I heard there were some small towns north of Toronto where you can't leave your car unlocked when you go to town in July, but not for the reason you're thinking. If you leave it unlocked you'll come back to a car full of zuccinis that the gardeners with overly productive gardens have been trying to get rid of.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Wonderist wrote:Ahhhh, of course, one blink, pause, ad infinitum. Yep, kinda makes sense too, and it's been running hotter and hotter for a while. That blows. I guess there's no point in trying to replace a CPU? I'm a software guy, not hardware, and don't know laptops for shit. Probably need a whole new laptop, eh? Fuck, you'd think maybe there'd be a market for scrap laptop replacement parts? Or are there just too many models to deal with compatibility and demand?
I've built my own rigs from the 8088 days until a few years ago, but in all that, I haven't screwed with a laptop since the mid-1990s so some layout stuff I know might be a tad obsolete.

Laptops tend to have cheap CPUs. Just make sure you fix your cooling problem first. CPUs don't normally over-heat and blow-up unless there's a cooling problem. Cooling problems are most likely caused by dust. But you could have bad/disconnected fans, had your heatsink get knocked off or some such.

Your CPU should be under a cover on the bottom of the case. Your memory under another cover. Look for some vents, the CPU is usually close to them. It's easy to replace as it uses a ZIF socket. Just make sure to use the exact replacement and to completely clean the computer AND make sure you apply all fans/heat-sinks properly.

Your local computer repair store might be able to test the laptop and it's components it if it's not under warranty and confirm what component(s) is/are bad.

All said and done, it may be cheaper to turn it into an anchor and buy a new one.

Parody Accountant

ERV wrote:

Also... can we please fix the lighting in there? And the focus? :D

http://i.imgur.com/8beOQFU.jpg

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

JAB wrote:I heard there were some small towns north of Toronto where you can't leave your car unlocked when you go to town in July, but not for the reason you're thinking. If you leave it unlocked you'll come back to a car full of zuccinis that the gardeners with overly productive gardens have been trying to get rid of.
And in the winter, snow from their driveways...

I'm in a low-trust neighborhood, in fact it's so low trust that I don't bother locking my car. If someone's going to break into it they'll just smash a window, so I leave it open with nothing in it.

I also have one of these, which makes it harder for the kinds of morons that steal cars to steal it.

http://i.imgur.com/QYQBTFR.jpg?1

What can we learn from this about rape culture? Nothing.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

This is for Abby:

http://i.imgur.com/Wxuc2WI.jpg

<ducks>

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Wonderist wrote: You know, those analogies with fundies and troofer are really starting to make me think there's going to be a faction like this for decades now. We're probably going to have to marginalize the fuck out of their ideology to prevent new people from catching it. Might need to start looking at the academic side of things, where a vast majority of them seem to have picked this shit up from Women's Studies and other related programs. I've nothing against the concept of Women's Studies, but if this is what they're teaching, they need some dire critique to knock em down a peg. Maybe someone will eventually start a kind of 'rational feminism' or something to replace the pomo shit they're peddling now.

I think we need to get Steven Pinker alerted to this issue. (Not that I have any contact with the guy!) He would seriously kick their butts in an academic setting like a debate.
Women studies have taught this, and worse, since the 1980s... I used hang-out by the door of a Women's Studies class when I was in college. I had an hour break and my class followed it... It was just strange...

Parody Accountant

Cunning Punt wrote:This is for Abby:

http://i.imgur.com/Wxuc2WI.jpg

<ducks>
at least the female peewee herman shoes match the ring. But with nekkid people this old you know we're dealing with some 'vintage' precipitate. Dust of ages strikes again.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

The Beatification begins (Eire is a Roman Catholic Country after all..):

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/teflon.jpg

Nugent has been co-opted, and is scared of the Wrath of Feefle's Minions. This is evidence that his bollocks have been removed and placed in the trophy case of OCC. Do not expect him to do anything other than suck up to her in Dublin, and bend over backwards to give her a rimjob. He is a lost cause.

OTOH, the good news is that I've rediscovered my copy of "Live, May 11, 1968" by HP Lovecraft which is one of the GREAT live psych albums from the '60s, especially "Wayfarin' Stranger" with killer organ, and the cover of Fred Neil's "The Bag I'm In". Truly, truly a great album!

http://hifirecordsla.com/covers/big/R-2 ... 79617.jpeg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

AndrewV69 wrote:
deLurch wrote:Unless you are purchasing a really cheap laptop, I would suggest getting a warranty that lasts the expected life of your laptop in the future. It is one of the rare purchases, where this makes sense.

If you want quality, go for Toshiba. Or else you can go cheap and just take the risk that it may poop out on you (that is my direction).
I would not buy a HP myself as their kit do not seem to last longer than four years. You might also want to check into a Lenovo or an Asus as well as Toshiba if you want quality.

(I have a couple of disposable Acers and a MacBook Pro but I am not recommending either as appropriate for you).

Things that I will never buy again:

Dell
HP
Gateway
Toshiba

All of them have design, quality and system limitations that make them third-rate head-aches. ASUS makes a good lap-top, but their customer service sucks if you have a problem. Lenovo is reputed to not only an excellent laptop, but has good customer service, etc.

HP is (supposedly) making a comeback. But I got some serious burn issues with them over two printers and one PC. Which is sad, because I was very much an HP man for most of my adult life. (I build my gaming computers, I buy my work computers.)

Parody Accountant

Lsuoma wrote:The Beatification begins (Eire is a Roman Catholic Country after all..):

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/teflon.jpg

Nugent has been co-opted, and is scared of the Wrath of Feefle's Minions. This is evidence that his bollocks have been removed and placed in the trophy case of OCC. Do not expect him to do anything other than suck up to her in Dublin, and bend over backwards to give her a rimjob. He is a lost cause.

...*snipped awesome music*...
It's possible that he has maneuvered himself into a corner. He may be unable to maintain OB as both a IRL guest and an online 'target of harassment' (aka person we'd like to discuss). He might have calculated the situation as temporarily untenable. Kicking the can down the road another time, til after the convention...

Wishful thinking? Yeah. I'll admit that 100%.

I'm crashing for tonight... chilling to the Modern Lovers
[youtube]BgRYncR1Nog[/youtube]

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

lenovo customer support and warranty relations used to be ok

now is sucks an unregulated amount of horse testicles and they send you through fifteen hoops to try to prove any kind of problem on their end that they would have to fix

had a whole palette of desktops where 3/4 of them had a power supply or hard drive failure in the first year, and a laptop drive that went out in the first month

fuck lenovo

hp actually had much better tech support and warranty relations these days

sacha

Post by sacha »

okay those are hideous.

my crocs were all black with no holes. basically looked like clogs

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

This needs capping. It's to do with the FFRF FB page kerfluffle.

The Huge Zvanatee is becoming as insane as Feefles.

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/svanBS.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Skep tickle

I can only hope that chick came across for the feminist cause or she deserved the bright blue dildos spray painted
on her driveway-Franky the Feministo

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:This needs capping. It's to do with the FFRF FB page kerfluffle.

Adding - pre-demonization of Nugnuts in action. He'll be witch of the week before Feefles', Twatson's and PeeZus' return flights' wheels have left the tarmac at DUB.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Or has picked up some tips on increasing donations through a false threat narrative?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Jack wrote:I wonder. If PMZ came here would he get 'bombarded with insults?' Of course his definition of 'insult' may anyone who swears (as he does) or disagrees with him. If his definition of 'insult' is gratuitous offence that serves no purpose I wonder how much he would get here?
I know that I would insult the fat fuck to his heart's contents.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Has anyone got a link to a blog post or whatever which brings this story together?

In the meantime, here is a GIF of Oolon:

:hankey:

Southern

Post by Southern »

Parody Accountant wrote: Conversely...
http://i.imgur.com/Wbc2UdA.png
This is perfect.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

Has anyone got a link to a blog post or whatever which brings this story together?

In the meantime, here is a GIF of Oolon:

:hankey:
Feefles' take on it: http://www.freezepage.com/1370832103OMOZKOCVMT

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote: I want to point out that I didn't demand one - I think the suggestion I should get one came from someone else.
What sort of useless fascist tit are you then?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

FrankGrimes wrote:
Gumby wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote:So, re: t'shirts... I doubt anyone here gives a shit but I'm going to get some made anyway. The provisor that I got was that the boss wanted one for free. Too easy. But I'm having trouble with a few things: 1) The design (though I've had a few awesome ideas after the last few pages), and 2) How to get them to people if they want them. Thing is, I don't want to be accused of attempted doxing or whatever so I don't want people's addresses or emails or ip's blah blah.

First things first though I think this one is epic: viewtopic.php?p=97595#p97595

So, I'm going to get a few made unless there are objections. I know I'd love to have one and apparently if I have one the boss needs one too so.... 1) any design objections? 2) Does anyone know how I could get these things delivered without having people's dox?
I just did a new logo based on that design that I think is a little better (better graphically and it also fills the shirt out better)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 513dde.png

I think the back should have something as well - maybe a poll could be made with slogans or other ideas.

As far as dox go, I don't know. I have an alternate address it could be sent to but not everyone does.

If you wanted to use my design (although I think others here could do better) I can send you the artwork file if you need it.
That would be good. Thank you. At this point I don't want something done that people might not like. I'm kinda new here, you know, just got a tab started and such and it's in no way something that I have any ownership of whatsoever. I have a lot of respect for this place so I'd want to get it right. Having said that, if there are no real objections then I guess I can do whatever?

Something on the back would cost more but could easily be done. I have no idea about graphics and don't know anyone personally that does (or that I would trust to understand the concept) so any help would be awesome.

Now is a good time for me too. Fuck what's the word.... spoiler.... no wait, trigger warning. Yeah that's it. So yeah in a month my fiance would seriously wonder why but right now I doubt it's a problem. Pfft. Can't remember the last time she made me a bacon sandwich.
I'd buy one FrankG.

You could have "Trigger Warning: No spoliers" on the back.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, is the Thimbledick attempting doxxing:

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/jtdo.jpg

(From: http://www.freezepage.com/1370832595QXAFDBXSNN) TBH, I can't tell anymore...

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

Tribble wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Things that I will never buy again:

Dell
HP
Gateway
Toshiba

All of them have design, quality and system limitations that make them third-rate head-aches. ASUS makes a good lap-top, but their customer service sucks if you have a problem. Lenovo is reputed to not only an excellent laptop, but has good customer service, etc.

HP is (supposedly) making a comeback. But I got some serious burn issues with them over two printers and one PC. Which is sad, because I was very much an HP man for most of my adult life. (I build my gaming computers, I buy my work computers.)
Have used Toshiba Tecra laptops and a HP laptop on survey vessels (vibration, salt vapour). The HP let go after a few weeks, the failure appeared to be GPU related, as noted in previous posts.
The Toshibas never gave any trouble, *except* for the older unit's keyboard failing from silver ink corrosion. An ancient Toshiba laptop fell down a vessel stairwell without damage except for bent chassis. Wouldn't want to try that with the modern ones though.
Small sample size, of course.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

http://i.imgur.com/3mdNe23.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Corylus wrote:
cunt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Anita Sarkeesian is quite fit but what a miserable twat she is. You'd think a lass with a 8ft tall stack of Xbox games would be spot-on for a laugh but Jesus Christ..... Mario is sexist? Give it a rest love.
A good rogering would probably fix this, imho.
Hmm, trouble is that isn't going to happen until that dreadful mustache goes. The poor lad really needs to shave.
Slow burn.

Well done. :clap:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Since the Pit has become the Tech help Centre - does anyone know how to deal with that bloody Search Redirect trojan/virus thingy. A simple answer that actually works would be nice.

Parody Accountant

Aneris wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/3mdNe23.jpg
amidoinitrite?
http://i.imgur.com/RLBl7e5.png

Wonderist

Re: HP dv7 Problem

Post by Wonderist »

mordacious1 wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
HP Pavilion dv7, from back when I wasn't (completely, just mostly) broke.
Throw it away (I mean recycle). The problem with those laptops is not with the CPU, batteries, or whatever else was mentioned. The problem was that HP was (knowingly, I might add) putting defective Nvidia GPUs in their laptops. They tried to do cheap fixes (just to get their crap through warranty) by doing a BIOS update which would turn the fan on basically all the time. This only postponed the inevitable. Nvidia lost a class action lawsuit and the judge agreed to have HP replace thousands of very expensive laptops with Compaq CQ56 craptops which are worth about $200. If you replace the CPU, it will just fry again. You'd have to replace the GPU also. Google "Nvidia Class Action Lawsuit" for more info. Good luck.
So THAT's why the fan was on all the fricken time. Great info, mordacious1, thanks!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

KiwiInOz wrote:Since the Pit has become the Tech help Centre - does anyone know how to deal with that bloody Search Redirect trojan/virus thingy. A simple answer that actually works would be nice.
Simple answer?

1. Back up all of your data
2. Reimage your laptop/PC back to the original manufacture state.
3. Install a good antivirus and keep it up to date.
4. Use google chrome as your web browser.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

KiwiInOz wrote:Since the Pit has become the Tech help Centre - does anyone know how to deal with that bloody Search Redirect trojan/virus thingy. A simple answer that actually works would be nice.
I had that a few years ago, and couldn't find a simple answer. I just formatted; the actual fix was a lot of work.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Thanks both. Reimaging it will be.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

KiwiInOz wrote:Thanks both. Reimaging it will be.
How about this?
Resolution was draconian but very simple - I gave up trying to remove the virus and used Revo uninstaller to remove Firefox entirely, trusting that I am confronted with a variant that infects just Firefox. After saving bookmarks, using Revo, a cold reboot, and then a reinstall, my client has confirmed that the problem has gone away. I am relieved of one more burden. (If I run into this virus again, I will try GOOREDFIX as some have suggested).

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/securi ... virus/8860

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

Never had it but a quick google turned up this site:
http://www.2-viruses.com/how-to-fix-goo ... us-problem
The stuff about checking the hosts file for junk added after white space may be worth trying before doing a re-image.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

deLurch wrote:
Wonderist wrote:HP Pavilion dv7, from back when I wasn't (completely, just mostly) broke.
How much did you spend on it?

Odds are you will have to swap out the motherboard too (the CPU might not be the issue), you would also have to make sure the CPU fan still functions.

Here is the repair manual:
http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01689926.pdf
...snip...
Oops, missed this one. Thanks for the great info, deLurch. I'll have to get back to you on the specs sometime later. I'm not really in a position to buy or repair anything right now. Just gonna make do with my clunker for a bit. Funny thing, I paid waaaaay more for this clunker than I did for the HP. It's a Sony Vaio; forget all the specs, but one of the small ones, perhaps notebook? not sure. like a mini laptop. All told, with shipping, cost me about $3000 CAD or so if I recall correctly, back when I was working steadily. I wanted something small and it was the smallest at the time with the best screen and longest battery. Now it's a clunker. lol Well, that's how I was thinking back then when money wasn't an issue. The HP was actually quite nice IMO, aside from the noisy fan, and all told cost me about $700 CAD at the time. This time I went for bigger, so I could have full keyboard and keypad (I'm a programmer, so it's nice to have all the keys available) and 17" monitor (widescreen). It's gonna hit my budget hard this time, so I'll have to wait a bit and figure something out.

Cheers!

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

Oops, should have added the essential *** back up first ***!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

You did not mention exactly which virus variant you had.

Anyway some generic advise:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/936598
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-bro ... ect-virus/

Also this:
http://botcrawl.com/how-to-stop-unwante ... irections/

Which is not going to work if you use something like Incredimail or if you insist on using Internet Explorer as a browser and/or Windows period.

You could Install some Linux or BSD variant though. That works for me (though right now I am disgruntled with Ubuntu/Unity/Gnome3 and when I get aroundtuit I am going to give Mint a try).

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Tribble wrote:
Wonderist wrote:Ahhhh, of course, one blink, pause, ad infinitum. Yep, kinda makes sense too, and it's been running hotter and hotter for a while. That blows. I guess there's no point in trying to replace a CPU? I'm a software guy, not hardware, and don't know laptops for shit. Probably need a whole new laptop, eh? Fuck, you'd think maybe there'd be a market for scrap laptop replacement parts? Or are there just too many models to deal with compatibility and demand?
I've built my own rigs from the 8088 days until a few years ago, but in all that, I haven't screwed with a laptop since the mid-1990s so some layout stuff I know might be a tad obsolete.

Laptops tend to have cheap CPUs. Just make sure you fix your cooling problem first. CPUs don't normally over-heat and blow-up unless there's a cooling problem. Cooling problems are most likely caused by dust. But you could have bad/disconnected fans, had your heatsink get knocked off or some such.

Your CPU should be under a cover on the bottom of the case. Your memory under another cover. Look for some vents, the CPU is usually close to them. It's easy to replace as it uses a ZIF socket. Just make sure to use the exact replacement and to completely clean the computer AND make sure you apply all fans/heat-sinks properly.

Your local computer repair store might be able to test the laptop and it's components it if it's not under warranty and confirm what component(s) is/are bad.

All said and done, it may be cheaper to turn it into an anchor and buy a new one.
Thanks for info, Tribble. A colleague of mine once suggested to just buy laptops like you buy a Bic lighter, disposable and cheap. I'll have to think about my options for a bit. Thankfully no rush.