Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
rayshul

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by rayshul »

ERV wrote:The paper I submitted on the work Ive been doing for the past 100 years got accepted today :P (in PLOS ONE, open access, so you all can read it!)
Awesome!!! Congratulations!!! :dance:

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

ERV wrote:The paper I submitted on the work Ive been doing for the past 100 years got accepted today :P (in PLOS ONE, open access, so you all can read it!)
Congrats. :happy-wavemulticolor:

vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Could Andrewv69 post something from John Derbyshire as well? Been watching from the sidelines and I'm just wondering how close Apples is to fainting from the shock of it all.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Well done :D

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Awesome!!!! When does it go up/is there a link already?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Wonderful news ERV!

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Very cool! Link when ready, please! :clap:

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Very cool! Link when ready, please! :clap:

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Ooooooh! A double header! Sorry ,bout that.

Humphrey_Hedgehog

Post by Humphrey_Hedgehog »

Well done smarty pants. Did you collaborate with Dmitri Ivanovsky?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Humphrey_Hedgehog wrote:
Well done smarty pants. Did you collaborate with Dmitri Ivanovsky?
Yes! Victor Ivanoff introduced us!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Taslima has a post up asking "are you a feminist"? I took the test. Surprise, I am one!

http://areyouafeminist.com/congrats.html

Does this mean that PZ has to apologize to everyone who takes the test?

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Badger3k wrote:Taslima has a post up asking "are you a feminist"? I took the test. Surprise, I am one!

:lol: The first two questions were really hard, but apparently I'm a feminist, too. Who knew? :think:

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Badger3k wrote:Taslima has a post up asking "are you a feminist"? I took the test. Surprise, I am one!

According to that test, John the Other is also a feminist.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Aneris wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Aneris wrote:Plan Bâ„¢ for Team B.
Reminder of Agenda
<snip>
Nugent 1: How to Work Together Where We Agree.
Nugent 2: Freedom of Speech versus Hurtful Comments
Nugent 3: On the Importance of Social Justice Issues
Nugent 4: Overcoming Hostilities
Nugent X: The Meta Thread.
One problem is that these issues aren't well structured (if discussions follow in the order shown). Take the dreaded "BadWerdz" argument i.e. trying to prevent the use of certain words because they are allegedly hurtful to "women" as they are "gendered insults". Accepting this assumes that we also accept the idea that a claim of "hurtful" words can trump freedom of speech (Nuge 2) and that a Social Justice Issue (some version of feminism) is important (Nuge 3). This puts the cart before the horse. The whole "BadWerdz" argument should follow (or not) the outcome of Nuge 2 and 3, not be the first thing brought up - but guess what will be the first thing brought up, if the Team A posts up to now are any indication.

Apart from that, the premise of 1. is flawed. There is an assumption of agreement about various issues, but statements by FTBers rejecting some of these ideas of supposed agreement, and that Team A and B mean quite different things by them, means they aren't agreed areas at all. For example, PZ believes atheism somehow "requires" social justice - it's part and parcel of it, and the "dictionary atheists" disagree. And we are at Nuge 3, while supposedly at Nuge 1.

Crap, the more I look at this, the more depressing it gets. Nap time.
I think you are confusing an end result with the discussion itself. First off, someone should start organizing things rather sooner than later. Jack, Wonderist, etc... I feel I am too new to do it. Then, all threads should be put up at once, so you can discuss things in any order you want.
I'm terrible at organizing things and maintaining them. But I do have some tips for this idea: start small and simple and let it grow as needs arise. A single thread to start, perhaps. Then perhaps two if the first becomes unwieldy. Also, collecting things and organizing them would best be done on a wiki, such as Phawrongula. Threads on the pit would be good for running commentary, and gathering links and info. Then this information could be collected onto Phawrongula and condensed, organized, and inter-linked. In fact, you could change the order, by first posting the info on Phawrongula, then merely posting links on SP threads as updates to the spectators. Or you could do a bit of both. Try it out and see what works. Eventually, a good process will emerge naturally.

acathode

Post by acathode »

rayshul wrote:Incarceration rates by gender. http://www.prisonpolicy.org/articles/notequal.html (have to scroll down).

I've always known I got a pretty sweet ride as a woman through life, but that graph is a bit of a mind blower.
I'm not sure I'd view it that way. If most crimes are committed by men, they are naturally going to be overrepresented in the statistics, are you really getting a "sweet ride" when you and the others in "your group" are basically just being a law abiding citizen? If we're talking "sweet rides" when it come to crime and punishment, I'd think it would be more accurate to point to how women and white people tend to get lower sentences for comparable crimes.

However, it seems to me that the biggest factor is completely missing from those charts? Where is socioeconomic class? As a Swede, it's kinda strange/interesting how much the US seem to focus so much on race in these kind of statistics, instead of economic background. It's always seemed to me as your parents wealth and education is the biggest single factor in how good the odds of your "life lottery ticket" is going to be. Gender and ethnicity is in comparison very small factors.

(Not saying Sweden is any better though, here it's almost completely taboo to report the ethnicity of criminals, as it's seen as playing into the racists narrative. Which of course just helps the racists even more, as they can point to our media and accurately claim that they are lying and misrepresenting the facts.)

Also, quite unrelated, but still noteworthy thing is the VERY dishonest way the site are trying to drive home how f:ed up the US prison situation is by the world map of prison population distribution. "% of world prison population" is a completely bogus stat to use, you obviously need to put it in relation to the population of each country before it means anything.

ps. Congratulations ERV!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

The greatest thing the US class system did was convince the US that it doesn't exist.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Huzzah!!! Congratulations!! I look forward to reading it ... open access is awesome!

sacha

please help an elder dog rescue

Post by sacha »

I need your help, my fellow Slymepitters.

I need to raise some money for a wonderful Elder Dog Rescue.

For many, many years I've been drawn to elder dogs as if they were the only ones who could see me, and when my sweet boy became an elder, the feeling became even stronger. After some recent personal trauma, I decided to adopt an elder dog.

The needy organisation is Muttville Senior Dog Rescue

They not only rescue old dogs from high-kill shelters, and horrible situations, they provide hospice care for those who are too sick to adopt, they have a "Seniors for Seniors" program which helps elder humans get matched up with the right elder dog for them, and, of course they are educating people about elder dogs. Showing people who would never have considered adopting an older dog, the many wonderful reasons to do so, and how an elder dog is so much easier than a puppy.

Old dogs have more difficulty finding homes than even Pit Bulls, but Muttville rescues old Pits as well.

The sweet old fellow I adopted was rescued by Muttville from a high-kill shelter out in the country somewhere on his last day before euthanasia. I skipped over him when I was looking at their available dogs on the website because he seemed to be one that would get adopted very quickly. Still playful, perfectly trained, sweet, and gorgeous, so I looked for one who would have a more difficult time.

He had been up for adoption since November!

The reason is not only his age, but that he is dark coloured (dark coloured dogs are often overlooked) and that he has a Pit Bull/Staffie look. When I met him, he was sad, confused, and lonely.

He is perfectly trained, mellow and sweet, respectful and polite, quiet, and a snuggler.
plus he still plays with toys, his favourite game is I'll chase you, and you chase me. He gets along with all other dogs (he seems to enjoy all the other dogs I have during the day, and sometimes in the evening), and he is great with people too.
plus he is just fine off lead! stays by my side, even for neighbourhood city walks. Someone took a lot of time being patient and training him, and he was most certainly loved.

Most likely his person died, and he ended up in an underfunded, small shelter, in a cage, about to be euthanised. Heartbreaking.
When he ran around on the beach his first day with me, wagging his tail with a big smile, I had tears.
I'm so grateful that Muttville rescued him. I'm very fortunate, I know that my dogs will always be taken care of if something happens to me, but others are not so fortunate.
Why the world needs Muttville

The tragic truth is that every day, dogs in good health with wonderful personalities are euthanized. Why? They’re older. And because they’re older, they’re not considered adoptable.

Shelter workers see it everyday: a dog is brought in because he can’t jog with his guardian anymore. Or he needs a little time to get up the stairs. Or he’s simply not a puppy.

Muttville’s mission is to change the way the world thinks about and treats older dogs and to create better lives for them through rescue, foster, adoption and hospice.

We reach out to senior and special needs rescue dogs; find suitable homes for those dogs that are adoptable; and offer end of life care for those that are not. These are not just shelter dogs; every day, dogs are moved from loving homes to concrete cages because their guardians have died or moved or simply can’t care for them anymore.

If we had our way, no dog would spend its last days in a cold, dark shelter. There is so much love and joy in these dogs! Bringing these special dogs into a home is not only good for the dogs, but such loving, mellow dogs transform the quality of life for the people who adopt or foster them.
The Founder and Executive Director and I are quite alike. We have both dedicated our lives to dogs, and both have a very special place in our hearts for elder dogs.

Please help her rescue more of these wise old sweet pups who have had a dreadful, difficult life, and let them know what a loving home is, hopefully they will be so happy, they will forget all about their past, and also rescue the ones who's loving guardian is simply unable to care for them because of health reasons or death.

These dogs don't deserve to spend their last days alone in a cage.
sweet-old-sleeping-dog.jpg
(28.38 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
I'll have a special Slymepit link for donations soon. That way I can post the progress. As soon as I have the link, I'll post it here.

Be Gentle: I know my dog is old

sacha

Post by sacha »

skepandsprinkles wrote:Bah, it's much more fun to sit with your labia flapping in the wind. You know, opposed to crying about it on the interwebz.
haha! Who are you? I love a pants-free life.

Well, I'm trying to catch up with the drama. Glad Richards was fired for her hysterical Donglegate fiasco. Dumb cunt.

congratulations Abbie! WOOT!

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Re: please help an elder dog rescue

Post by ERV »

I have a lot of stuff in my brain-- One way I have found to keep out the clutter is to tag things with emotions. I have a positive tag on Bark.com for some reason-- I have encountered that website before. Maybe they linked to a pet vaccination post I did or something. Look forward to the link.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:Incarceration rates by gender. http://www.prisonpolicy.org/articles/notequal.html (have to scroll down).

I've always known I got a pretty sweet ride as a woman through life, but that graph is a bit of a mind blower.
Well it is the USA, and the high incarceration rate possibly has something to do with the War on Drugs(1), and has been documented all over the place. It should not be surprising given that the politics of the War on Drugs, "skyrocketing incarceration rates are deemed a sign of success, not failure"(2).

Apparently it is so bad that apparently even Televangelist Pat Robertson believes that the USA "should legalize marijuana"(3).

But in any event, in the Manosphere, it is generally known as the "pussy pass" and there have been papers published about it(4), specifically the disparity in incarceration rates between men and women.

There is also an interesting paper titled "Sentencing Disparities and Gender Roles In The American Criminal Justice System" (5) mentions this disparity but examines attitudes based on answers to online surveys, indicates some interesting results (starting at P.19) so we might see some changes in the future though I am reluctant to predict with any certiny what they may be.

Finally, and last but not least you will have noted the huge difference in the totals between White, Blacks and Latinos and the respective incarcation rates (6), and once again linked to the "War on Drugs".

I think if the USA abandoned the "War on Drugs" starting with marijuana at any rate, you might see some changes.

1). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_Dru ... tic_policy
2). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2374804/
3). http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html
4). http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/27008_4.pdf
There is compelling evidence of gender disparity in sentencing. Women
are substantially less likely than men to be sentenced to prison, women who
are incarcerated receive significantly shorter prison terms than men, and
women make up less than 2 percent of the death row population. There is also
evidence that these differences, which do not disappear when crime serious-
ness, prior criminal record, and other legally relevant factors are taken into
consideration, reflect discrimination in favor of women. The fact that studies
of sentencing in federal and state courts found a consistent pattern of prefer-
ential treatment of female offenders—coupled with the fact that the gender
differences uncovered were large—suggests that contemporary judges evalu-
ate female offenders differently than male offenders. There also is evidence
that jurors evaluate cases involving female victims, especially white female
victims, differently from cases involving male victims: They are more likely
to sentence those who kill females to death. Although some judges and
researchers claim there are legitimate reasons for treating women differently
from men and for treating those who victimize females differently from those
who victimize males, these results suggest that gender discrimination in
sentencing is not a thing of the past.
5). http://www.honors.ufl.edu/apps/Thesis.a ... nload/1476
Gender biases within the sentencing phase of the criminal justice system have
been thoroughly documented. In federal courts, the average sentence for males was 278%
greater than that of females, and women are more likely to receive no prison time than
men (Mustard, 2001). Women were also twice as likely as men to receive lighter
sentences than recommended when the judges departed from sentencing guidelines
(Kramer & Ulmer, 1996). These biases are emphasized when the data isolates the gender
of the offender and that of the victim. Males who victimize females receive the longest
sentence than any other victim/offender gender combination. Males who victimize
females receive a sentence that is, on average, 4.179 times longer than those of males
who victimize other males. This disparity is particularly evident in violent crimes, such as
murder (Curry et al 2004).
6). http://www.sentencingproject.org/doc/pu ... parity.pdf
African Americans and Latinos are more likely to be
incarcerated than whites and, in some jurisdictions,
receive longer sentences.12
These dynamics are partially true in regard to drug
offenses, where African Americans are particularly
overrepresented in drug arrests.13 Evidence of ra-
cially disparate treatment of drug arrestees is ap-
parent by viewing the rate of reported drug use
among African Americans. According to self-report
data from the U.S. Department of Health and Hu-
man Services, African Americans constituted 14%
of drug users in 2006, only slightly higher than
their percentage in the general population.14
Yet African Americans represented 35% of those ar-
rested in 2006 for drug offenses,15 53% of drug
convictions,16 and 45% of drug offenders in pris-
on in 2004 (the most recent year for which prison
data are available).

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Oho! Link thingy please!

And also do try to remember us little people while you are on your way to the top.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

vandelay wrote:Could Andrewv69 post something from John Derbyshire as well? Been watching from the sidelines and I'm just wondering how close Apples is to fainting from the shock of it all.
Lawl! I could post something that would really shock Apples, but it would not be from Derbyshire. No siree! You know how the usuall suspects claim that the Slymepit is full of misogyny?

Bwahaha! Just like priviledge, those wingnuts have no clue. I could show you stuff that would knock your socks off, and without the benefit of strong drink to boot.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Huh. I flunked after the first question: Do you believe all people are equal? Naturally I chose 'no', and it linked me to Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which reads:
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Which of course isn't what was asked. They asked if I believe all humans are equal, not if they're all equal in dignity and rights.

sacha

Post by sacha »

bovarchist wrote:
Huh. I flunked after the first question: Do you believe all people are equal? Naturally I chose 'no', and it linked me to Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which reads:
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Which of course isn't what was asked. They asked if I believe all humans are equal, not if they're all equal in dignity and rights.
me too. all humans are not equal. Then again, I did not expect to pass their test.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

bovarchist wrote:

Oh I knew what they meant so I answered yes.

We all know that no two humans are equal in any way shape or form. We also know that ideally we are all equal under the law, and have equality in opportunity and so on. The fact they we are not, and do not, is besides the point.

This reminds me of the time I was faced with a psych evaluation and where I spend eight hours filling out the different questionnaires and then another eight hours at a facility filling them out again.

The trick is to give the "right" answers, not truthful ones.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Well stick a banana on a metronome, seems I'm a feminist too!

However, once again I'm amazed at the victim mentality that perpetuates some FtB circles. Seriously. The question "Do you think all humans are equal?" to which the obvious answer is "yes" or alternatively "very yes" apparently immediately sent user michaeld "off track." And user Eristae takes it one step further and utterly strawmans the poll by assuming that when it asks "[are all humans] equal?" it makes the argument that the disadvantaged "are responsble for their disadvantage" and as such have "equal ability" to pull themselves up as the "advantaged" do. I am not making that up, that's an actual quote.

She ends it by saying this: "But I guessed their intention and confirmed it by going back and hitting the “no” option." Wow.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... ment-90569

Two. Questions. TWO! Fuck me. It must be exhausting feeling so oppressed all the time.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

AndrewV69 wrote:[snip]Bwahaha! Just like priviledge, those wingnuts have no clue. I could show you stuff that would knock your socks off, and without the benefit of strong drink to boot.
Come on, Andy: knock our socks off with your linkz skillz.

I've read so much of your tedious bullshit that I doubt that 4kg of TNT could shift these cotton badboys from my feet.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Another feminist here!

I actually do try to cut Taslima some slack, because at the very least she isn't fixated on first world problem bullshit like Peezee & friends. But come on.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

bovarchist wrote:

Yep, being born equal and being treated equally are separate issues. It implies the later. Terribly worded question which would trap SJW's too. The UK census had a similar issue on the matter of confusing Religious affiliation and culture with a belief in god.

It's this sort of dishonesty, and it is dishonest as negligence can't explain it, I find particularly annoying.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:[snip]Bwahaha! Just like priviledge, those wingnuts have no clue. I could show you stuff that would knock your socks off, and without the benefit of strong drink to boot.
Come on, Andy: knock our socks off with your linkz skillz.

I've read so much of your tedious bullshit that I doubt that 4kg of TNT could shift these cotton badboys from my feet.
Awww. You mad bro?

http://wimminz.wordpress.com/2013/02/10 ... jack-shit/
Contrary to popular belief, wimminz don’t have a problem selling access to their cunt, what they have a problem with is being faced with the reality that they will be advertising access to their cunt, with a big “FREE!” sign over it, and STILL not get trampled to death by swinging dick.

Nothing worse than advertising a product you can’t even fucking give away for free.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Another facebook post from Aunt Ophelia. 22 whole words. And. All. Of, them, her, own.

When you read the post, you'll understand.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

I wanna see the bats too. No joke. Go to Austin, see the bats.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Tripped at the first hurdle.

All people are not equal.

Damn my honesty.

Congratulations ERV, I can't wait to read your paper. Ok, 95% of it will probably sail over my head (I'm an ex-Army "knuckle dragging" type) but I'll give it a damned good go! You're quite the Anti-Watson: Highly intelligent, very hardworking/successful and of course, when I see you, I don't want to burn out my eyes with bleach.

Now, I gotta go punish my carcass to get rid of this hangover. :confusion-seeingstars:

mordacious1

Gorns

Post by mordacious1 »

That bastard Shatner is an asshole:

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 55239.html

But he's right, we're both too old for this shit.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Bhurzum wrote:
Now, I gotta go punish my carcass to get rid of this hangover. :confusion-seeingstars:
Hair of the dog. Best remedy for hangovers.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

What a pile of crap that "feminist" survey is, it utilises the same flawed logic as asshats like Russell Glasser do when you object to feminism. "Oh so you don't believe women are people!"

The survey is designed for you to reach the outcome that you are a feminist. Much like if a similar survey posed questions such as;

1 do you believe it is wrong for people to spend an eternity in torment?

2 do you believe people should have the oppurtunity to be forgiven for their past offences?

3 Is it moral to help a stranger who is bleeding to death through no fault of his own?

If you answered the questions above as i presume, and designed them for you to answer you are a Christian. Congratulations.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Excellent, well done!

I'm looking at submitting something there myself. It seems like the trickiest bit will be satisfying their manifold formatting requirements.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Badger3k wrote:Another facebook post from Aunt Ophelia. 22 whole words. And. All. Of, them, her, own.

And here's another one. They're all so smug when they fly down to Texas for a meeting. "Oh wow, there are literate, cultured people here ... and birds and bats." It's as if they expect every city they visit for conferences to be a theme park, designed to entertain and impress them, complete with a food court and a luxurious hotel. All that matters is what's important and interesting to them; the city as a city, and its people as a whole (most of whom are beneath the dignity and notice of a privileged person like OB), are of little consequence.

Reminds me that I need to get back to my long-neglected blog, which is about cities and what makes them tick: culturally, environmentally, socially, structurally.

Nuttierthanaradfem

Post by Nuttierthanaradfem »

Apples wrote:Fabulous! VDARE columnist and racial provocateur Steve Sailer, whose column about Katrina shocked even John Podhoretz at National Review, is a great source for insight on microaggressions. I hope Jack quotes him at the Nugent talks -- he could argue that since blacks and latinos have lower IQs than whites, they aren't of much use to the atheosecular movement.
Please, don't second-guess Andrew (or stop being so hypersensitive - whichever) just because he brought in the valuable, critical-thought-infused viewpoints of some right-wingers that are viewed as too extreme even by other extreme right-wingers. The slymepit has room for all views and your extreme liberalism can't dictate whether we can post links even to stomfront, the 'manosphere' or the 'human biodiversity' community if they have valuable info on whether the low-IQ African-American community needs eugenics if the USA is to prosper or whether women need to be tightly controlled (or regularly picked-up and fucked) since they're ruining Western civilization by being sperm-stealing, alpha-humping, entitled sluts.

Even if you disagree, you can just see it as shock value, you know, to upset the uptight cunts and nobody represents the slymepit anyway (with the exception of Gurdur :rimshot: ) so it's aaaaall good .

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Badger3k wrote:Another facebook post from Aunt Ophelia. 22 whole words. And. All. Of, them, her, own.

I fucking hate people. Who. Write. Like. This.

It's been done to death. Stop. It. Stop. It. Now.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Nuttierthanaradfem wrote:
Apples wrote:Fabulous! VDARE columnist and racial provocateur Steve Sailer, whose column about Katrina shocked even John Podhoretz at National Review, is a great source for insight on microaggressions. I hope Jack quotes him at the Nugent talks -- he could argue that since blacks and latinos have lower IQs than whites, they aren't of much use to the atheosecular movement.
Please, don't second-guess Andrew (or stop being so hypersensitive - whichever) just because he brought in the valuable, critical-thought-infused viewpoints of some right-wingers that are viewed as too extreme even by other extreme right-wingers. The slymepit has room for all views and your extreme liberalism can't dictate whether we can post links even to stomfront, the 'manosphere' or the 'human biodiversity' community if they have valuable info on whether the low-IQ African-American community needs eugenics if the USA is to prosper or whether women need to be tightly controlled (or regularly picked-up and fucked) since they're ruining Western civilization by being sperm-stealing, alpha-humping, entitled sluts.

Even if you disagree, you can just see it as shock value, you know, to upset the uptight cunts and nobody represents the slymepit anyway (with the exception of Gurdur :rimshot: ) so it's aaaaall good .
Hello Oolon.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Nuttierthanaradfem wrote:

Amusing that anyone would think I was actually "shocked" by what Andrew posted from Vox Day and Sailer, or -- even more laughable -- that I am an "extreme liberal" (not that there would be anything wrong with that -- some of my closest friends are extreme liberals). I was actually quite serious when I suggested he tell us more about his admiration for Vox Day, and I'd be even more entertained by a Slymepit debate about "race realism."

Apples

Post by Apples »

Cunning Punt wrote:

Her style is intolerable - especially her affected pseudopoetic punctuation-free repetition:

"Now I have to go out and see a little of Austin. I didn’t get much sleep but that’s good because it gives me time to see a little of Austin."

okay, rain man.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Cunning Punt wrote:

This. This. So. Much.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Dancing Rodents.

Dave

Post by Dave »

OK, in follow-up to the Adria Richards thing, there is apparently now an additional flap about "sexy dancing" at GDC. Which has lead me to wonder about something:

Why are "Booth Babes" such a problem at tech conferences, but no one seems to complain about them at auto shows?

(Yes, there are some who raise the issue about autoshows, but it doesnt seem to raise anywhere near the same level of outrage.)

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Apples wrote:
Steph was trying to entrap Hunt -- PZ was obliquely (but not explicitly) referencing the 'Pit and Hunt called PZ out for comparing Lepine to 'Pitters specifically. So she's saying -- hey Hunt -- why'd you assume PZ was talking about the 'Pit - cuz it's true? She's being her usual ruthless, pragmatic self -- interrogate any comment that disrupts her narrative, let outrageous bullshit from folks like Ulysses stand unchallenged.
Thank you. Good to know others can see through that little ploy pretty readily. As has been noted, I was put into the eternal purgatory of "your post is awaiting moderation." I mean, why doesn't she just delete the damn comments already?

It's kind of funny that Vox Day has come up in this discussion because when Zvan uttered her "you've had your shot and have proven unworthy" comment, my reply was that the last person to say something like that to me was Theodore Beale. My next comment (awaiting moderation) was "It seems the left and the right really do meet around back." She'll probably parse that as some kind of perverse sexual innuendo. Next I just pointed out that if anyone is confused about the intent of the Marc Lapine post at Pharyngula, one merely needs to read the uncontradicted stream of comments that make the comparison entirely explicit.

Anyway, by way of introduction, I should just say that I'm not on one side or the other, but at the same time I don't consider myself a fence sitter. i guess I'm as bemused as anyone by the "deep rifts." An open discussion would probably benefit partially confused people like me more than any others.

Full disclosure: I've read here for a couple months. I did post once under the name "Mangynicus," which I thought was amusing at the time. I think I was drunk. If someone wants to delete that account, I wouldn't mind.

JAB

Post by JAB »

BarnOwl wrote:

And here's another one. They're all so smug when they fly down to Texas for a meeting. "Oh wow, there are literate, cultured people here ... and birds and bats." It's as if they expect every city they visit for conferences to be a theme park, designed to entertain and impress them, complete with a food court and a luxurious hotel. All that matters is what's important and interesting to them; the city as a city, and its people as a whole (most of whom are beneath the dignity and notice of a privileged person like OB), are of little consequence.

Reminds me that I need to get back to my long-neglected blog, which is about cities and what makes them tick: culturally, environmentally, socially, structurally.
Maybe it's because back home they're all too afraid of anything to even go outside and see what their own city offers. But at a conference they now have the all powerful Harrassment Policy (tm) to protect them and make sure they won't stumble upon a challenging tshirt or something no matter where they may venture outside the venue.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

On this Good Friday, Reverend Myers spoke about how Christians FTB are harassed off the internet and that the same fate would now come to another site, as they also confessed the one true story. The flock horde shows compassion and urge to stick together against the forces of evil.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

JAB

Post by JAB »

Hunt wrote:
Apples wrote:
Steph was trying to entrap Hunt -- PZ was obliquely (but not explicitly) referencing the 'Pit and Hunt called PZ out for comparing Lepine to 'Pitters specifically. So she's saying -- hey Hunt -- why'd you assume PZ was talking about the 'Pit - cuz it's true? She's being her usual ruthless, pragmatic self -- interrogate any comment that disrupts her narrative, let outrageous bullshit from folks like Ulysses stand unchallenged.
Thank you. Good to know others can see through that little ploy pretty readily. As has been noted, I was put into the eternal purgatory of "your post is awaiting moderation." I mean, why doesn't she just delete the damn comments already?

It's kind of funny that Vox Day has come up in this discussion because when Zvan uttered her "you've had your shot and have proven unworthy" comment, my reply was that the last person to say something like that to me was Theodore Beale. My next comment (awaiting moderation) was "It seems the left and the right really do meet around back." She'll probably parse that as some kind of perverse sexual innuendo. Next I just pointed out that if anyone is confused about the intent of the Marc Lapine post at Pharyngula, one merely needs to read the uncontradicted stream of comments that make the comparison entirely explicit.

Anyway, by way of introduction, I should just say that I'm not on one side or the other, but at the same time I don't consider myself a fence sitter. i guess I'm as bemused as anyone by the "deep rifts." An open discussion would probably benefit partially confused people like me more than any others.

Full disclosure: I've read here for a couple months. I did post once under the name "Mangynicus," which I thought was amusing at the time. I think I was drunk. If someone wants to delete that account, I wouldn't mind.
Welcome Hunt. Someone will likely be by soon to tell you to fuck off and present you with a basket of links soon if you lost the ones presented to Mangynicus.

So it seems PZ was effective in his post at being able to make it obvious to everyone that he was comparing us to a mass murderer while still have deniability over it. What a wuss. (Hey PZ... why say anything if you're too chicken shit to stand behind it? You're an embarrassment to public discourse.)

We don't require anyone to take any side here... at least I don't and I'm pretty sure you can tell anyone who does to stick it in their ear. Or you can tell me to, whatever. As long as you don't post anything that can get our host taken to court you can post it. If however your fragile enough that the pixels on the screen can harm you, then you may wish not to read, but you can still post. From either side of the fence or sitting on it... or we can debate the existense of said fence... or the number and height of fences and the philosophical nature of gates.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Welcome Hunt (first name Mike?) or Mangynicus.

Fuck off. (again if you were told to as Mangynicus)

acathode

Post by acathode »

Aneris wrote:On this Good Friday, Reverend Myers spoke about how Christians FTB are harassed off the internet and that the same fate would now come to another site, as they also confessed the one true story. The flock horde shows compassion and urge to stick together against the forces of evil.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments
Crap, I feel my brain slightly melting from just reading the comment section...
This post is apparently mainsplaining. (from the scientopia blog):
Shridhar Jayanthi wrote:I'm assuming you're not familiar with this: http://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/
Chris Clarke clarifies:
Chris Clarke wrote:Amanda Blum is not a mansplainer. She merely missed the point catastrophically.
Being a man citing Amanda Blum as though she speaks for all women in tech so therefore you win? Mansplaining.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Great video response to Anita's terrible damsels in distress video.

Here.

[youtube]HJihi5rB_Ek[/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Actually, I think my presence as Mangynicus was so brief that nobody ever had a chance. It was just like "fu--o--" and then I was gone.

I don't think there is a fence, to be honest. I'd still be commenting like hell at Zvan's or Benson's or Myer's if I could. I can't, so here I am.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Submariner wrote:Welcome Hunt (first name Mike?) or Mangynicus.

Fuck off. (again if you were told to as Mangynicus)
The first time I heard that joke I was with my friend, Mike. I'm not kidding. That was a slightly awkward moment.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Hunt wrote:Actually, I think my presence as Mangynicus was so brief that nobody ever had a chance. It was just like "fu--o--" and then I was gone.

I don't think there is a fence, to be honest. I'd still be commenting like hell at Zvan's or Benson's or Myer's if I could. I can't, so here I am.

Eventually, all sinners end up in the pit.

Here is a basket of links to get you started:
pup.jpg
(11.41 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

welch

Post by welch »

YAAAAAAAAAY

What's the title?

welch

Post by welch »

ME TOO!

PZ HAS TO APOLOGIZE, neeener neeener neeeeeeener