Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Walter Ego

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Walter Ego »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Thanks Abbie and Dick. I'm gathering more information. At least he didn't die alone. My aunt's husband was with him all night, and says he just went to sleep and was gone a bit afterward, quietly and without (much) pain.

Ultimate cause seems to be liver faillure due to his years of drinking and smoking. Quite sobering.

Funeral won't be possible before at least tuesday, so I will definitely miss it. My brother is likely to attend, so he'll "represent" me as well. My mother and my aunt can't make it either. Mother is stuck with a masterclass she has to give, and my aunt is in Nigeria until the end of the month (work related).

So since 2009: maternal grandfather, paternal grandmother, maternal uncle, all gone.

So is Mo Green, Tataglia, Barzini, the heads of all the five families (sorry, watched that movie yesterday, and I need the humour right now).
My condolences. My mother died this past March.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Walter Ego wrote:

My condolences. My mother died this past March.
Sorry to hear that. My condolences as well.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:My uncle passed away last night. It sucks! Even more so as he was showing signs of improvement at the beginning of the week.

I'm leaving for some studio work on tuesday, so I will probably miss the funeral.
My condolences as well. Good luck to you.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

My condolences Phil.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

sacha wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Oh FFS!

A paper at PLOS is blaming teh menz for female menopause. Just ONE MORE example THAT MEN ARE TO BLAME for everything that afflicts every woman in the world...

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/inf ... bi.1003092
Here we use a stochastic, two-sex computational model implemented by computer simulation to show how male mating preference for younger females could lead to the accumulation of mutations deleterious to female fertility and thus produce a menopausal period.
Why are you bad men making me wait so long for my menopause. I'm 50 now. Haven't I done my time under The Curse? Haven't I paid my dues to the Patriarchy as a Gender Traitor? I keep thinking 'hey, maybe that was my last period' and then another comes along and ruins my fun.
have you tried oral contraceptives as menstruation suppression?
No, I don't want to fuck around with suppressing them. Also, the 2 times I've been on the pill, it actually lowered my libido (defeating my purpose at the time). Also, it runs in my family to develop blood clots in the legs from the pill, something that's in the news again. Plus, my doctor told me that she won't put anyone over 35 on the pill.

Mind you, I wouldn't say no to one of those quickie laproscopic hysterectomies like reGreta had. Minus the fluevogs though.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Condolences, Phil.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Only know you from your posts Phil but I had a kind uncle so condolences

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Recommended reading:
Giving Feminism a Bad Name

It gives a big picture to the ideological differences and issues that are relevant when dealing with the unscientific other side of FTB, SkepChick & Co.

@Phil
That sucks, my condolences :(

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

And I had some danmed fine aunties as well

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Bit pissed, damned = damn

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Aneris wrote:Recommended reading:

It gives a big picture to the ideological differences and issues that are relevant when dealing with the unscientific other side of FTB, SkepChick & Co.
Barry X. Kuhle wrote:To paraphrase New Jersey philosopher J. B. Jovi, they give feminism a bad name.
Well, Barry, I read a little more from the philosopher J.B. Jovi, and it turns out that you're to blame.

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

sacha wrote:for Barn Owl

http://i.imgur.com/Bt5yMwA.jpg

(image is too large to post here)
The above image shows tawny frogmouths in standard camo mode.

This is more the Monty Python 'How not to be seen' version.
IMG_0009Y50.jpg
Tawny frogmouths, Perth
(104.34 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
@Phil, my sympathies.
Peter

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Tawny frogmouths are the weirdest little fuckers, I have to say. They cause lots of arguments when I'm in Australia where people are like, "Hey look at that frogmouth" and then the other person is like, "Naw it's a branch". "Naw it's a bird." "Seriously it's a branch, go up there and look." "Deffo a bird..." etc

And the more you look at them the more they act like they are a branch and not a bird.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Gumby wrote: I don't think of women as toilets, Ophie. But seeing as how you're the one who brought it up... why do you think of women as toilets?
Perhaps it boils down to her grooming habits.

http://i.imgur.com/nj6nI7P.jpg

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Aneris wrote:Recommended reading:

Barry X. Khule wrote:As an evolutionary psychologist,
MISOGYNIST!!!!!!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Condolences, Phil.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Just a sign of how completely ineffective and silly PZ Myers has become. After months of calling everyone racist and sexist, his diatribe about an actual racist sounds pretty mild and boring. Theodore Beale is a "Not a good person, a really nasty, unstable, vicious wackaloon." But Russell Blackford is a "lying fucktard," so who really knows the difference anymore? Anyways, when you hate everyone around you, people stop caring about your opinions on who to hate.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Shit. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, Phil.

Also, Walter, I really hope everything sort itself out for you. Happy thoughts.

re: tawny frogmouths: well I'll be damned. But seriously, do they actually just stand like that all the time? Don't they get bored?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Condolences, Phil.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

EdwardGemmer wrote:Just a sign of how completely ineffective and silly PZ Myers has become. After months of calling everyone racist and sexist, his diatribe about an actual racist sounds pretty mild and boring. Theodore Beale is a "Not a good person, a really nasty, unstable, vicious wackaloon." But Russell Blackford is a "lying fucktard," so who really knows the difference anymore? Anyways, when you hate everyone around you, people stop caring about your opinions on who to hate.
This is why calling people racist and sexist when their racism or sexism is highly questionable is a bad idea. It strips the word of it's meaning and power.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Gumby wrote: I don't think of women as toilets, Ophie. But seeing as how you're the one who brought it up... why do you think of women as toilets?
Total sense. Really? Tell us more about ourselves CoprOphilia.

OB re-does Sartre - "Hell is smelly people."

Maybe she was a bed wetter. Nah - then she might have worked this out;

“Great News! If you quit being cunty the whole world will stop being against you!”
― Sarah Silverman

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

Pitchguest wrote: re: tawny frogmouths: well I'll be damned. But seriously, do they actually just stand like that all the time? Don't they get bored?
Yes, during the day they just stand like that. The ones in my photo had chosen an insanely low banksia branch, not the usual gum tree, fortunately the cats didn't spot them.
As for the boredome, obviously each of the adults is solving the three-body problem. The youngster - *Derp*.

AnonymousCowherd

Submariner wrote:Jeremy Stangroom tweeted this link. After re-reading it he called it "chilling"

http://www.tu.ac.th/org/grad/master/pdf ... 5B1%5D.pdf
Sorry. tl,dr;

Well at least it's 30 years old (and looks, at a glance, rather out of date even then). The feminists and Marxists have thrashed this one to death for years and it only really faded when Marxism did, and feminism became something the local newspaper could report on without references to burning bras.

If the current crop of SJWs want to carry that load of intellectual baggage around with them, good luck to them. They can all sit in their "Grundrisse der Kritik der Politischen Ökonomie" study groups (original German required to avoid cultural mis-interpretations of The Text created by the conditions of Patriarchy) and foam about arcane issues in the superstructure of capitalism until they schism into a million pieces with ice-picks at ten paces.

If only it would be interesting to watch. It wasn't the first couple of times it happened.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Very sorry to hear about your uncle, Phil - my condolences.

Walter - I hope things get better for you very soon.

AnonymousCowherd

O hell.
Sorry for your loss Phil.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

sacha wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
sacha wrote:for Barn Owl

http://i.imgur.com/Bt5yMwA.jpg

(image is too large to post here)
That's a seriously cool photo.

But you're sure they're not eagles?
Looks like a tawny frogmouth... there used to be a bunch of the buggers in our garden

I'd say Rayshul is spot on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tawny-frogmouth.jpg

plus they are "often mistaken for owls"
The "owl-like" part is in the Tawny Frogmouth's scientific name: Podargus strigoides. All of the Caprimulgiformes (nightjars, whippoorwills, etc.) are well-camouflaged and will remain motionless when threatened, though the Tawny Frogmouth is probably the best at mimicking tree branches. Darren Naish at Tetrapod Zoology has written several extensive posts about the Caprimulgiformes.

Here in South Texas, we have Common Nighthawks, Common Pauraques, Eastern Whip-poor-wills, and Chuck-will's-widows. I can hear all four species at one time or another, just being out in the backyard with the dogs. The Common Nighthawks I very frequently see at dusk. My old Labrador retriever once found an entire nighthawk wing during one of our walks (of course she picked it up and it was a struggle to get it away from her); I'm guessing that the bird swooped in front of a car while catching insects. Occasionally I've heard a Common Poorwill, but the range is typically further west.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chuck-wills-widow/id

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Nighthawk/id

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:Just a sign of how completely ineffective and silly PZ Myers has become. After months of calling everyone racist and sexist, his diatribe about an actual racist sounds pretty mild and boring. Theodore Beale is a "Not a good person, a really nasty, unstable, vicious wackaloon." But Russell Blackford is a "lying fucktard," so who really knows the difference anymore? Anyways, when you hate everyone around you, people stop caring about your opinions on who to hate.
This is why calling people racist and sexist when their racism or sexism is highly questionable is a bad idea. It strips the word of it's meaning and power.
Yep, what many have said all along, "Cry Wolf". But when the ordinary macho sexist asshole usually won't read, much less come across Pharyngula or have any idea about sexism, or feminism, you have to create your foils. PZ Myers and his commentariat are a one trick pony. They need a contrast to show off how knowledgeable they are (yet it can't be too comlicated as then devil-in-the-details might burst the ingroup feeling). This kind of thing worked so well with creationists, even made Thunderf00t big, so that the baboons just had to adapt the concept. They painted themselves into a corner with it, where they are now stuck. I assume PZ and Co. will backpedal quite soon. Blog hits dwindle, influence wanes, many other groups and subcommunities are fairly pissed off by them (or ignore them).

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

In a movie called Freeway, Keifer Sutherland asks Reese Witherspoon if, when she gives a blowjob, does she feel like a human urinal.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Doctor Myers
OR
How
I Learned
To
Stop
Worrying
And
Love
The
A+Bomb
http://i.imgur.com/hrY6W5Q.png

Parody Accountant

debaser71 wrote:In a movie called Freeway, Keifer Sutherland asks Reese Witherspoon if, when she gives a blowjob, does she feel like a human urinal.
Her answer?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Behold, a 'reeeeeeeally ugly' horse.

http://zombieslash.com/wp-content/zombi ... 230353.jpg

Personally, though, it's one of the coolest photos I've ever seen. This was commissioned in 2006 to stand outside Denver International Airport, and the sculptor actually died when a large piece of the sculpture landed on top of his leg and ruptured an artery. Ouch.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Parody Accountant wrote:
debaser71 wrote:In a movie called Freeway, Keifer Sutherland asks Reese Witherspoon if, when she gives a blowjob, does she feel like a human urinal.
Her answer?
Her mouth was full, so she couldn't answer.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Thanks Abbie and Dick. I'm gathering more information. At least he didn't die alone. My aunt's husband was with him all night, and says he just went to sleep and was gone a bit afterward, quietly and without (much) pain.

Ultimate cause seems to be liver faillure due to his years of drinking and smoking. Quite sobering.

Funeral won't be possible before at least tuesday, so I will definitely miss it. My brother is likely to attend, so he'll "represent" me as well. My mother and my aunt can't make it either. Mother is stuck with a masterclass she has to give, and my aunt is in Nigeria until the end of the month (work related).

So since 2009: maternal grandfather, paternal grandmother, maternal uncle, all gone.

So is Mo Green, Tataglia, Barzini, the heads of all the five families (sorry, watched that movie yesterday, and I need the humour right now).

Condolences, Phil. Glad you were able to see him again.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Condolences, Phil.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Pitchguest wrote: Personally, though, it's one of the coolest photos I've ever seen. This was commissioned in 2006 to stand outside Denver International Airport, and the sculptor actually died when a large piece of the sculpture landed on top of his leg and ruptured an artery. Ouch.
Its colors and style are not dissimilar from the Denver Broncos football (American) team logo:

http://nflview.com/nfl_thumb/378013.jpg

I think the horse's front legs are too long for the rest of its body. ::pedantic::

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Her answer?
"what kind of fuck questions are those?!" or something..I'm sure it's on you tube,

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Becky does like elevators!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... ed9fb6.gif

I guess it's just coffee she doesn't like.

OK, so it's terrible. Chalk it up to my first attempt at editing an animated GIF.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Freakin' cabbage worms have eaten >50% of my kale and collards, and crapped all over much of the rest. :(

Where can I get some parasitic wasps?

Oh, yeah ...

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:My uncle passed away last night. It sucks! Even more so as he was showing signs of improvement at the beginning of the week.

I'm leaving for some studio work on tuesday, so I will probably miss the funeral.
So sorry, Phil :(

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Sorry Phil :\

If you're able to make it to EWTS somehow let me know.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Sorry for your loss Phil.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Walter - I hope things start looking up for you!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

When I'm sad do you know what cheers me up?

Thinking of women as toilets.

I'm just kidding. Of course I don't think of women as toilets.

Toilets are useful.

KIDDING!

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Phil, I recently lost an aunt so I know how much suckage you're going through right now. My condolences.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Fuck, am I stupid. Rookie mistakes... Much better version (yeah I know, no one cares) :lol:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 15971e.gif

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Pitchguest wrote:Behold, a 'reeeeeeeally ugly' horse.

http://zombieslash.com/wp-content/zombi ... 230353.jpg

Personally, though, it's one of the coolest photos I've ever seen. This was commissioned in 2006 to stand outside Denver International Airport, and the sculptor actually died when a large piece of the sculpture landed on top of his leg and ruptured an artery. Ouch.
That is one detailed horse sculpture:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/image ... r05_04.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gumby wrote:Fuck, am I stupid. Rookie mistakes... Much better version (yeah I know, no one cares) :lol:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 15971e.gif
Thanks for that Gumby. Thanks for making me fap to a badly animated Rebecca Watson gif. You're a real mate....

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

That blue horse is epic. I wish I had one in my garden. I would offer up a sacrifice to it each time the moon was full.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

You're welcome, Parsehole. Any time.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
That is one detailed horse sculpture:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/image ... r05_04.jpg
That image + your sig = another joke, btw

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Condolences, Phil.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Submariner wrote:Jeremy Stangroom tweeted this link. After re-reading it he called it "chilling"

http://www.tu.ac.th/org/grad/master/pdf ... 5B1%5D.pdf
Sorry. tl,dr;

Well at least it's 30 years old (and looks, at a glance, rather out of date even then). The feminists and Marxists have thrashed this one to death for years and it only really faded when Marxism did, and feminism became something the local newspaper could report on without references to burning bras.

If the current crop of SJWs want to carry that load of intellectual baggage around with them, good luck to them. They can all sit in their "Grundrisse der Kritik der Politischen Ökonomie" study groups (original German required to avoid cultural mis-interpretations of The Text created by the conditions of Patriarchy) and foam about arcane issues in the superstructure of capitalism until they schism into a million pieces with ice-picks at ten paces.

If only it would be interesting to watch. It wasn't the first couple of times it happened.
I love the jargon on that link.
When the Jim the Pleb subject line needs changing I suggest; "In the Cause of Phallocratic Domination"

Parody Accountant

"Get Off Your High Horse"
http://i.imgur.com/oL4Qvut.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Parody Accountant wrote:"Get Off Your High Horse"
http://i.imgur.com/oL4Qvut.jpg
Haha. Nice one.
This one is for the geeks:
http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upload ... 555474.jpg

That horse should be the official Pit logo. I don't know why it just should.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Tony Parsehole wrote: Haha. Nice one.

Archaon the Everchosen, very good!

LMU

Post by LMU »

Condolences Phil. And belated ones to Walter. I hope things improve for both of you.

Altair

Post by Altair »

My condolences and thoughts are with you, Phil

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Jonathan wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote: Haha. Nice one.

Archaon the Everchosen, very good!
Round of applause.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gumby, what do you use to animate gifs?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Make animated gifs*