Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
KiwiInOz

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by KiwiInOz »

BarnOwl wrote:...

Remind me again how you're celebrating the 400 ppm carbon dioxide milestone? Uh-huh.
I've been meaning to address this since your first comment about it over the weekend.

I'm pissed off that we still don't have any effective feedback links between the various climate policies/agreements/commitments that Governments have "committed" to, and the economics and profit involved in digging up and flogging off coal. The elephant in the corner of the room has just let rip with an almighty fart and the solution is to buy an air freshener.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

welch wrote:Also, no, i did not leave a REALLY LONG COMMENT on the FTB.
Maybe it was Steersman.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

ERV wrote: And Im not a 'SUPERSTAR' by any means.
E. R. V. Superstar.
Who are you?
What do you think you are?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Cunning Punt wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Mmmm. I love eating lamb.
You probably like land oysters too you sick kiwi :lol:
Inspiration for some ecosexual poetry, perhaps.

http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-conte ... age012.jpg

cunt

Post by cunt »

Here's some poetry.

[youtube]RYsO6EcuxbM[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

BarnOwl wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Regarding Peezus and Justicar, am I missing something because I can't seem to figure out the logic of his argument.
Peezus claims that Justicar is being disingenuous over his claim that he wants Jen McCreight to be safer on the internet, and the reason Peezus gives for this is HIS claim that Justicar's video gives some clues that might reveal Jen's location.

But Peezus makes this complaint because of his own supposed concern for Jen's safety.

And in so doing, he links to Justicars video, thus increasing the number of potential viewers by several orders of magnitude while explicitly advertising that it gives clues to McCreights address!

It reminds me of that old joke of the guy who walks into his workplace holding a dog shit in his hands and exclaiming: "Look what I nearly stepped on!"

Unless of course Peezus doesn't give a crap about anyones safety so long as he can fling shit at his critics - even going so far as labelling Justicar a slymepitter just to malign us too!
We're also "anti-social justice atheists," whatever that means. Well, it means whatever disingenuous slanderous shit Lord PeeZus wants it to mean, I guess. Remind me again how you're celebrating the 400 ppm carbon dioxide milestone? Uh-huh.

In his video, Justicar obscured the identifying information in the photo. I'd think the thing for Jen to do would be to remove the photo from her TwitPic stream. I am not a security expert, but it seems pretty dumb to include the intersection street sign in a photo, and then post it on social media. Take a photo of the creepy car, sure, but don't include the street sign.

Or, we could look at the reality, which is NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT ANY OF US. Christ, what kind of fucking ego do you have to have to believe that there are ALL THE PEOPLE TRYING TO HURT YOU.

welch

Post by welch »

John Greg wrote:MKG asked me to define what real poetry is (and welch, I do not think he was goading or preaching; it was a fair and legitimate question).
I don't think it was goading or preaching, I think it was hypocritical bullshit. If people here are fine with shitting on Greta and PeeZus' writing, spare me the indignation about Yemmi's.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Bhurzum wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:Haha, Blag Hag is now the face of "Date Preety Chinese Girl"
http://ow.ly/i/25JO8/original
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a61 ... 24822a.jpg
Lame.
Dick Strawkins wrote:Regarding Peezus and Justicar, am I missing something because I can't seem to figure out the logic of his argument.
Peezus claims that Justicar is being disingenuous over his claim that he wants Jen McCreight to be safer on the internet, and the reason Peezus gives for this is HIS claim that Justicar's video gives some clues that might reveal Jen's location.

But Peezus makes this complaint because of his own supposed concern for Jen's safety.

And in so doing, he links to Justicars video, thus increasing the number of potential viewers by several orders of magnitude while explicitly advertising that it gives clues to McCreights address!

It reminds me of that old joke of the guy who walks into his workplace holding a dog shit in his hands and exclaiming: "Look what I nearly stepped on!"

Unless of course Peezus doesn't give a crap about anyones safety so long as he can fling shit at his critics - even going so far as labelling Justicar a slymepitter just to malign us too!
Indeed.
  • Jen tweets personal information.
  • Justicar blacks it out, makes video, but thereby points to the material.
  • PZ Myers uses the incident to go against Justicar, and the Slymepit (of course), but thereby points to video that points to the material.
PZ Myers is just one meta more. By blogging about it, PZ Myers did the equivalent of making a video about Jen's info. Like in Justicar's case, it doesn't contain the info itself, but of course it may motivate people to look for it. Therefore, everything PZ Myers wrote about Justicar applies to him. He and his commentariat are sincerely intellectually too challenged to notice any of it.

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:I noticed the street names in Jens pic too. I loled in my head but didnt say anything to you guys because I knew 1) generic FfTB retarded response, like the one we see from PZ (bleh predictable, boring, congrats, PZ), and 2) I dont give a fuck what she does. She is an idiot, and Im leaving her to it.

Justi is nicer than me.
I deleted the tweet. Delete your video immediately. If you ever contact or harass me again your file is going to the police
"your file is going to the police."

File of what? He's a sarcastic gay man who likes guns. OOOOoooo

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

free thoughtpolice wrote:My guess for the Ftb shut down is to redo the site, taking down the blog slots for those that have left and putting the noobs up.
Doesn't look like that happened. The last posts of Natalie Reed & Token Skeptic & NonStampCollector are still up on the front page, & Yemmy and Heteronormative Patriarchy still relegated to the side bar.

Is anything different? They certainly didn't change that saturated old tampon...

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Justicar is continuing to harass Jen and PZ by posting another video. This will likely also go on his file.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Re definitions of art... Here's a quote that I copied into my quote file years ago... attributed to Frank Zappa:
The most important thing in art is The Frame. For painting: literally; for other arts: figuratively--because, without this humble appliance, you can't know where The Art stops and The Real World begins. You have to put a 'box' around it because otherwise, what is that shit on the wall?

If John Cage, for instance, says "I'm putting a contact microphone on my throat, and I'm going to drink carrot juice, and that's my composition, " then his gurgling qualifies as his composition because he put a frame around it and said so." Take it or leave it, I now will this to be music." After that it's a matter of taste. Without the frame-as-announced, it's a guy swallowing carrot juice.

So, if music is the best, what is music? Anything can be music, but it doesn't become music until someone wills it to be music, and the audience listening to it decides to perceive it as music. Most people can't deal with that abstraction--or don't want to. They say: "Gimme the tune. Do I like this tune? Does it sound like another tune that I like? The more familiar it is, the better I like it. Hear those three notes there? Those are the three notes I can sing along with. I like those notes very, very much. Give me a beat. Not a fancy one. Give me a GOOD BEAT--something I can dance to. It has to go boom-bap, boom-boom BAP. If it doesn't, I will hate it very, very much. Also I want it right away--and then, write me some more songs like that--over and over and over again, because I'm really into music.

free thoughtpolice

Skep tickle wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:My guess for the Ftb shut down is to redo the site, taking down the blog slots for those that have left and putting the noobs up.
Doesn't look like that happened. The last posts of Natalie Reed & Token Skeptic & NonStampCollector are still up on the front page, & Yemmy and Heteronormative Patriarchy still relegated to the side bar.

Is anything different? They certainly didn't change that saturated old tampon...
I guessed wrong (not the first time).
Ed answered a question about a week ago about when he would rearrange the site. I thought he said in a week or two (didn't bother to back check) which would be around now.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Lsuoma wrote:
Skeeve wrote:I predict great things in the Comments.
I LOVE the way Justicar gets called a dudebro!
Justicar never fooled me. He acts like he's all gay and stuff, but he's really one stinky dudebro who loves pussy.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

So, Ophelia admits she had a look at the Slyme Pit the other day. Since I know she reads here, let me just say:

Fuck off Ophelia - you smell of wet dog and are a complete nincompoop.

You're welcome!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Tigzy wrote:FTBers claiming that Justicar doxxed Comical Jenni in 3, 2, 1....

Also, Justicar said that the identifying info in the pic was redacted, so...yeah.
Aye, these are the same fucking scat-eaters that deny Osama, Twatson, and thw Baboon King have ever doxxed.

Southern

Post by Southern »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Justicar is continuing to harass Jen and PZ by posting another video. This will likely also go on his file.
Can we all get a file too? I would love to piss off this Macgraith dude just for the lulz.

Southern

Post by Southern »

CommanderTuvok wrote:So, Ophelia admits she had a look at the Slyme Pit the other day. Since I know she reads here, let me just say:

You're welcome!
Hi Ophelia!
You don't know me, and
I don't know you;
but fuck off,
you oxidated cunt.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Woah Nelly! YeministyFeministy (http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... omment-392) is positively frothing at the mouth in her rage at PitchGuest. It seems that Pitchy is reponsible for most of the problems in the universe, I guess. Cripes, she's the new Laden.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

John Greg wrote:MKG asked me to define what real poetry is (and welch, I do not think he was goading or preaching; it was a fair and legitimate question).

Defining what real poetry is, is much like trying to define what art is: that's a very tough question to answer.

There are a lot of technical issues that can be used to define real poetry, but I do not think that is what MKG wants. And anyway, many of those technical issues change over time, rendering some of them moot. I could also natter on about the differences between pure poetry, prose poetry, and songs, but that is also mainly technical.

Anyway, I think real poetry must be cross-cultural/global, and must express and engage the core human experience that is, to some degree, in all of us. And real poetry should not use jargon, buzzwords, or coded language understood by only the writer and perhaps some small subset of the writers cultural cohabitants -- except under specific instances wherein they are somehow rendered cross-cultural/global. Real poetry should make us both think and feel something other than just an instant mute reaction to the poem, by which I mean, it should in some way engage some deeper thought/emotive process in us that reacts to the deeper meaning of the poem, above and beyond just the diction, in a personal way based on our own personal life experience.

That's about the best I can do for now. And by those requirements, and others that I personally hold, in my opinion what YemministyFeministy writes is not real poetry. It is puerile scrofulous crap.
I would say you did a rather good job of it. A successful work of art is all about communication, usually beyond or without the usual linguistic channels. It is one of the most interesting aspects of photography, which, by its very nature begins with an accurate representation of a literal reality. A work of photographic art will take you beyond the immediate literal representation to a greater truth. While the language changes respective to each medium, the broader purpose is the same.

Aneris

Re: Art, Jewlery & Crappy Poems

Post by Aneris »

To be fair, just because some crowd believes that some thing is art or meant to be awesome doesn't mean that the creator (/artist) also thinks that way (aside in a sensible kind of way). In that sense, I have no issues with Yemmy's poem or with Amy's jewelry. It's not uppity, arrogant or any other adjective of them to just do certain things they like doing. Yemmy may not have any intention of being a Real Poetâ„¢. Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. It's even possible that you may know perfectly well that your piece isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread, but still post it for feedback.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

John Greg wrote:Woah Nelly! YeministyFeministy (http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... omment-392) is positively frothing at the mouth in her rage at PitchGuest. It seems that Pitchy is reponsible for most of the problems in the universe, I guess. Cripes, she's the new Laden.
And Pitchguest is the new Mykeruuuuuuu.

free thoughtpolice

Sadly, it appears that Yemmy may be about to adopt the A+ moderating policy, agrre with me or fuck off:

Yemisi Ilesanmi

May 13, 2013 at 12:27 am (UTC 0)

To Everyone Concerned- . Obviously I need to post a comment policy sooner than I anticipated and I am not happy with this urgent ‘must do’. Please if you have nothing substantial to add to the value of this post, cease from commenting. I am not interested in the quantity of comments; it is the quality that matters. This is not a place for old foes to resume their enmity and sparring, do not derail my post. I am not interested in your events or personal issues. Address the points in my post or forever keep silent on this thread. Thanks.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

FTR I completely agree with Justicar. I keep imagining if I were receiving the hundreds upon hundreds of threats/etal people like Jen *claim* they are receiving, I'd be a hell of a lot more cautious about putting out identifying information on the 'net. Which leads me to believe a lot of that crap is crying wolf.

cunt

Post by cunt »

When was the last time that McReight said she feared for her personal safety? I remember her saying something about feeling less safe at conferences than walking down the street, but that was ages ago and obviously not related to where she lives or hangs out normally.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote:Woah Nelly! YeministyFeministy (http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... omment-392) is positively frothing at the mouth in her rage at PitchGuest. It seems that Pitchy is reponsible for most of the problems in the universe, I guess. Cripes, she's the new Laden.
Hey! I just invented a time machine! I used AdBlock to remove the background image, and travelled instantly from 1996 to 2004 (web site design timeline, of course...)

Southern

Post by Southern »

Lsuoma wrote:
Hey! I just invented a time machine! I used AdBlock to remove the background image, and travelled instantly from 1996 to 2004 (web site design timeline, of course...)
Now you made me click that link and that background - it will haunt me in my nightmares forever. How can someone put up a photo as a repeating background and expect people to like it? How

Now I lost all faith in humanity.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Lsuoma wrote:

2004 is generous. It kind of annoys me that half the time FTB displays the mobile-site. I wouldn't even charge to sort that sort of shit out.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

cunt wrote:When was the last time that McReight said she feared for her personal safety? I remember her saying something about feeling less safe at conferences than walking down the street, but that was ages ago and obviously not related to where she lives or hangs out normally.
Like I said, she has her daddy to look out for all the meanies.

OT, my main pastime is photography, and one of the sites I like to read is You Are Not A Photographer, which holds up for ridicule examination publicly posted examples of the fauxtographic arts.

They just posted a picture with possibly the most awesome caption of all time:

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/precioussss.jpg

I came very close to a-spoilin' my pantaloons...

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Southern wrote:Can we all get a file too?
I like to imagine Lsuoma's sister-in-lawyer has a file on each member here.

I also like to imagine that when he goes to her for legal advice on running the 'pit she sighs... deeply.

cunt

Post by cunt »

In reality she'd say that everyone needs a ban because she gives no fucks about her brother in laws dumb internet forum.

welch

Post by welch »

Having fallen off a ladder today, with no major injury, and major bruising of the starboard glute, I have given FTB et al the best present ever.

For the first time, there is indeed one person here in the 'pit who is....

Butthurt

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

welch wrote:Or, we could look at the reality, which is NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT ANY OF US. Christ, what kind of fucking ego do you have to have to believe that there are ALL THE PEOPLE TRYING TO HURT YOU.
http://media.tumblr.com/b38666fe18a651c ... ro2d43.gif

welch

Post by welch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Justicar is continuing to harass Jen and PZ by posting another video. This will likely also go on his file.

"This is going on your permanent record, young man"

christ, isn't Jen a bit young to be THAT superannuated? PeeZus, okay, but really.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Southern wrote:Can we all get a file too?
I like to imagine Lsuoma's sister-in-lawyer has a file on each member here.

I also like to imagine that when he goes to her for legal advice on running the 'pit she sighs... deeply.
Eucliwoo is the only Pitter I've ever discussed with SiL...

... so far...

welch

Post by welch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:So, Ophelia admits she had a look at the Slyme Pit the other day. Since I know she reads here, let me just say:

You're welcome!

This was news?

What next, ice is cold?

welch

Re: Art, Jewlery & Crappy Poems

Post by welch »

Aneris wrote:To be fair, just because some crowd believes that some thing is art or meant to be awesome doesn't mean that the creator (/artist) also thinks that way (aside in a sensible kind of way). In that sense, I have no issues with Yemmy's poem or with Amy's jewelry. It's not uppity, arrogant or any other adjective of them to just do certain things they like doing. Yemmy may not have any intention of being a Real Poetâ„¢. Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. It's even possible that you may know perfectly well that your piece isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread, but still post it for feedback.
The funny thing about reactions: melissa, by and large, prefers detailed criticism to frothing fanism. Doesn't even have to be particularly polite, just have a point, possibly 12. Give her something to work with. She may agree, she may not, but she's said a number of times that she gets more out of someone saying "Well, it's good, but <long detailed list of Things That Should Be Better" than "OMG I LUV UR STUFF!!!!!"

I'd have to agree. As annoying as it is, I'd rather someone point out a grammatical or factual error so I can fix it and improve, rather than have fawning praise.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:FTR I completely agree with Justicar. I keep imagining if I were receiving the hundreds upon hundreds of threats/etal people like Jen *claim* they are receiving, I'd be a hell of a lot more cautious about putting out identifying information on the 'net. Which leads me to believe a lot of that crap is crying wolf.
They live to have people think they are that important.

Southern

Post by Southern »

welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:FTR I completely agree with Justicar. I keep imagining if I were receiving the hundreds upon hundreds of threats/etal people like Jen *claim* they are receiving, I'd be a hell of a lot more cautious about putting out identifying information on the 'net. Which leads me to believe a lot of that crap is crying wolf.
They live to have people think they are that important.
Jean MacCrater or whatever is the new Lady Di, I'm sure. Those damn papparazzi-rapists will drive her to a tunnel at 300 km/h one of these days. You just wait and see the tragedy.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Hey, Welch! Malfoy still wants to know what a MOTHERFUKER is...

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

*snerk* Jen is going to send Justicar's "file" (why would she carry a "file" on someone she barely knows?) to the police for highlighting her blunder? And who's harassing who, Jen, making threats like that, you ungrateful idiot?

Steersman

Re: Ophelia

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, the following is my comment on Ophelia’s post about skepticism, feminism, and atheism. She had let my previous “Testing, testing, testing” comment out of moderation and into the sunshine of her blogosphere so I had figured that she might actually be open now to something more than the barking of her trained seals. But, alas and alack, ‘twas not to be as this comment seems to have met an untimely death, RIP:
Steersman wrote:Wonders will never cease. “Testing the waters”, Ophelia; why expend any effort if the results are to be rejected without a fair hearing.

But I am rather surprised, in more ways than one, at this statement of yours in particular:
In a way I think atheism is more aligned to feminism than skepticism is. Maybe that’s why I answer to the name ”atheist” but not so much to “skeptic.”
Somewhat antithetical to this rather commendable description of you in Wikipedia (1):
[Ophelia’s] books and website defend objectivity and scientific truth against the threats to rational thinking allegedly posed by religious fundamentalism, pseudoscience, wishful thinking, postmodernism, relativism and "the tendency of the political Left to subjugate the rational assessment of truth-claims to the demands of a variety of pre-existing political and moral frameworks".

And, of course, I would argue – have argued, here (3) for example – that the most salient and problematic case of “the political Left subjugating the rational assessment of truth-claims …” has been in the area of some of the many branches of feminist ideology – 17 by Wikipedia’s count (2). And relative to which I wonder whether you might now consider, for one example of several, that some if not all of the “trans-exclusionary radical feminists” who were highlighted in the recent #radfem2013 twitter-war were from one of those branches that one might reasonably describe as “virulent feminism”.

But this other statement of yours seems if not actually problematic then certainly highly questionable:
But skepticism isn’t like that. Plenty of skeptics have been skeptical of equality – you know, equality is for losers, because winners don’t want equality because they are winners. Winning is the opposite of equality, isn’t it.
For starters, one might ask what type of evidence you have to justify what appears to be a bit of feminist dogma if not actually a leap of faith. In addition, one might also ask – as you seem to have elided this important distinction which is, I think, something that a skeptic would be careful to define – just what it is that you mean by equality: is it equality of rights? Or is it equality of ability?

-----
1) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophelia_Benson”;
2) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_ideologies”;
3) “_http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013/05/06/welcome-to-global-inc-here-is-your-induction-pack/#comment-370”;

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I honestly can't for the life of me figure out why she's so ... so ... well, angry! In every reply she's given me, I imagine a furrowed brow with an exposed vein typing furiously at her keyboard. So exasperated, so overly aggressive it's almost comical. And while I admittedly made a mistake not reading her post more thoroughly before writing my post (hence deserving the wrath of the Nigerian princess), yours was innocuous and didn't hint at any hostility - in fact no hostility, and yet just kindly *asking* (not requesting or demanding, but asking) for some links to evidence (which she easily could've provided had she been so inclined) was if as you had just taken a large steaming turd on her front porch.

And, of course, the regulars love her for it. In between her replies and the others who don't seem to have the cognitive abilities to read, it's getting extremely tedious. We'll see if my latest posts will be enough to make the last straw. To her credit, she hasn't banned me yet, but if her new upcoming rules is any indication ...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Steersman wrote:FWIW, the following is my comment on Ophelia’s post about skepticism, feminism, and atheism. She had let my previous “Testing, testing, testing” comment out of moderation and into the sunshine of her blogosphere so I had figured that she might actually be open now to something more than the barking of her trained seals. But, alas and alack, ‘twas not to be as this comment seems to have met an untimely death, RIP:
I thought it was always under woe-cloud cover and raining rage tears there.

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:Hey, Welch! Malfoy still wants to know what a MOTHERFUKER is...

LEAVE ME ALONE SNAP! STOP MASTICATING ALL THE TIME!

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

But skepticism isn’t like that. Plenty of skeptics have been skeptical of equality – you know, equality is for losers, because winners don’t want equality because they are winners. Winning is the opposite of equality, isn’t it.
I'm a gonna take a crack at this one, in case OB is reading (which she probably is, of course).

Plenty of skeptics? Which ones? How are they? Because quite frankly, I don't see it. Now what I DO see, and if you want to make this argument then we can have this argument, is that some skeptics do think that "equality of outcome" can be more destructive than constructive, and as long as "equality of opportunity" is there, then that's good. And moving towards MORE equality of opportunity is a good thing.

But ALWAYS equality of outcome? No. That can be a marker..a flare..it can tell us where there MIGHT be systemic problems in terms of equality of opportunity...but then again there might NOT be. We need to analyze the situation and see which is which.

So instead of what so many of your followers (I still think that you SHOULD be above all this, to be honest. I'm silly that way) do, which is the path of:

#1. See inequality of outcome
#2. Blame the "Patriarchy".
#3. Done.

You should do the following.

#1. See inequality of outcome.
#2. Look for systematic points that may result in that inequality of outcome
#3. Come up with ideas for changing those systematic points
#4. Do a cost-benefit analysis of sorts for the possibility that the cost for changing those things in society is higher than what we're willing to pay.
#5. If it's a positive thing, push to have it implemented. If not, go back to the drawing board.

This does mean that you actually have to talk to people about these things in a rational manner. It means you have to listen to people who might share your goals but disagree with not necessarily the methods, but with the steps you want to take to reach your goals.

I.E. Be Rational.

The reality is that if you want to do anything politically or even socially or culturally, you have to follow the latter process.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:FWIW, the following is my comment on Ophelia’s post about skepticism, feminism, and atheism. She had let my previous “Testing, testing, testing” comment out of moderation and into the sunshine of her blogosphere so I had figured that she might actually be open now to something more than the barking of her trained seals. But, alas and alack, ‘twas not to be as this comment seems to have met an untimely death, RIP:
Steersman wrote:Wonders will never cease. “Testing the waters”, Ophelia; why expend any effort if the results are to be rejected without a fair hearing.

But I am rather surprised, in more ways than one, at this statement of yours in particular:
In a way I think atheism is more aligned to feminism than skepticism is. Maybe that’s why I answer to the name ”atheist” but not so much to “skeptic.”
Somewhat antithetical to this rather commendable description of you in Wikipedia (1):
[Ophelia’s] books and website defend objectivity and scientific truth against the threats to rational thinking allegedly posed by religious fundamentalism, pseudoscience, wishful thinking, postmodernism, relativism and "the tendency of the political Left to subjugate the rational assessment of truth-claims to the demands of a variety of pre-existing political and moral frameworks".

And, of course, I would argue – have argued, here (3) for example – that the most salient and problematic case of “the political Left subjugating the rational assessment of truth-claims …” has been in the area of some of the many branches of feminist ideology – 17 by Wikipedia’s count (2). And relative to which I wonder whether you might now consider, for one example of several, that some if not all of the “trans-exclusionary radical feminists” who were highlighted in the recent #radfem2013 twitter-war were from one of those branches that one might reasonably describe as “virulent feminism”.

But this other statement of yours seems if not actually problematic then certainly highly questionable:
For starters, one might ask what type of evidence you have to justify what appears to be a bit of feminist dogma if not actually a leap of faith. In addition, one might also ask – as you seem to have elided this important distinction which is, I think, something that a skeptic would be careful to define – just what it is that you mean by equality: is it equality of rights? Or is it equality of ability?

-----
1) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophelia_Benson”;
2) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_ideologies”;
3) “_http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013/05/06/welcome-to-global-inc-here-is-your-induction-pack/#comment-370”;
:clap: :clap:

sacha

Post by sacha »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:"vermin"... I'm really not a fan of this word*. Can't he just call us cunts, like everyone else?

*Really, it's extremely loaded WRT European culture. I'm not going to Godwin the whole place, but you can probably guess what I mean.
"vermin" is also a slur to mice, rats, squirrels, porcupines, beavers, guinea pigs, and hamsters. Fucking speciesist

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

sacha wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:"vermin"... I'm really not a fan of this word*. Can't he just call us cunts, like everyone else?

*Really, it's extremely loaded WRT European culture. I'm not going to Godwin the whole place, but you can probably guess what I mean.
"vermin" is also a slur to mice, rats, squirrels, porcupines, beavers, guinea pigs, and hamsters. Fucking speciesist
I thought that the correct spelling/pronunciation was varmints.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/ ... rmints.jpg

sacha

Post by sacha »

BarnOwl wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Apples wrote:
Jenhen wrote:I deleted the tweet. Delete your video immediately. If you ever contact or harass me again your file is going to the police
"Your file?" Good luck in life, Hag. You're going to need it.
Let her do it. Police needs laughs and entertainment as much as the next guy.
I dunno. Maybe some of that false crap causes police to ignore things like Cleveland neighbors reporting seeing a child's face in the window or naked women in chains crawling on all fours in the backyard of Ariel Castro's house.

it's called crying wolf, and it inflicts harm on more than the person being falsely accused. My blood boils when I hear of someone crying wolf.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote:Hey, Welch! Malfoy still wants to know what a MOTHERFUKER is...
Lsuoma, just in passing and as a minor detail, I think your system time is about 8 minutes fast - at least according to my computer which I just updated with time.windows.com ....

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:
I thought it was always under woe-cloud cover and raining rage tears there.
Indeed. Given that she had let that first comment through, I had thought, briefly anyway, that there might have been a break in that cloud cover and inclement weather but I guess not.

Maybe both “sides” have their own “narratives” that tend to colour their interpretations, but the very fact that most of the FfTB side – with the notable exceptions, so far, of Ally Fogg and Yemisi – seek to control those narratives by restricting other perspectives tends to suggest that theirs are the more dogmatic and incongruent with reality.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I may be helping Yemmy decide to institute a moderation policy *shrug*

In response to her suggestion that I'm offended by the term "cum", based on my short comment pulling out 1 line from her poem (again quoted below):
Skep tickle wrote:
May 13, 2013 at 5:00 am (UTC 0) Link to this comment

It’s the “snuff” aspect I was commeting on -- not just sex + death, but sexual excitement enhanced by killing or torture, as in (as I read it): “Many cry and scream / As you explode in cum”

And yeah I did read the whole thing.

I have no problem with “cum” (no more than with “nite” or “lite”, also simplified spellings of existing English words). Nor with “jism” or “wad” but those imply male orgasmic emissions (at least in my part of the English-speaking world they do). Really I’m fine with pretty much any word, including “pussy”, “snatch”, and “cunt”, which have the side bonus that it’s easy to find rhymes for them. “Smegma” is a little harder to find a rhyme for, but isn’t that so often the case with those words from Greek or Latin? Stiil, it might be an interesting metaphor for the polar ice cap, being washed away with warm water or something…
(ah well, forgot an "n' in "commenting"...)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:I may be helping Yemmy decide to institute a moderation policy *shrug*

In response to her suggestion that I'm offended by the term "cum", based on my short comment pulling out 1 line from her poem (again quoted below):
Skep tickle wrote:
May 13, 2013 at 5:00 am (UTC 0) Link to this comment

It’s the “snuff” aspect I was commeting on -- not just sex + death, but sexual excitement enhanced by killing or torture, as in (as I read it): “Many cry and scream / As you explode in cum”

And yeah I did read the whole thing.

I have no problem with “cum” (no more than with “nite” or “lite”, also simplified spellings of existing English words). Nor with “jism” or “wad” but those imply male orgasmic emissions (at least in my part of the English-speaking world they do). Really I’m fine with pretty much any word, including “pussy”, “snatch”, and “cunt”, which have the side bonus that it’s easy to find rhymes for them. “Smegma” is a little harder to find a rhyme for, but isn’t that so often the case with those words from Greek or Latin? Stiil, it might be an interesting metaphor for the polar ice cap, being washed away with warm water or something…
(ah well, forgot an "n' in "commenting"...)
Down the roiling hill went magma,
Like a foreskin over smegma
A golden shower melting the icecaps
Sent a tingle to my cunt flaps

(Hurriedly ducks away)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
<snip>
:clap: :clap:
Thanks.

I had meant to question her further on that Wikipedia article as the source of that comment about “the tendency of the political Left …” is supposedly her original Butterflies & Wheels “About” page but I haven’t been able to find it there. So I figure that either that article is in error about the source – the most likely scenario – or that she had a very profound “sea-change” as far as her feminism is concerned – maybe not surprising given another of her co-authored books – with Jeremy Stangroom – titled Does God Hate Women.

But, in any case, that comment certainly seems rather incongruous, and inconsistent with her apparently unskeptical approach to feminism.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

KiwiInOz wrote:Down the roiling hill went magma,

(Hurriedly ducks away)
No, that's good!

Well, at least it's more interesting, IMO, than some of the poetry I've been reading recently. *cough*

And I take it back - I erred in saying it's easy to find words that rhyme with "pussy". So, kids, listen up, "cunt" or "snatch" may be an easier word to work with when rhyming is a key feature of your poetry - or something creative like KiO's "cunt flaps" above.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:

(Hurriedly ducks away)
No, that's good!

Well, at least it's more interesting, IMO, than some of the poetry I've been reading recently. *cough*

And I take it back - I erred in saying it's easy to find words that rhyme with "pussy". So, kids, listen up, "cunt" or "snatch" may be an easier word to work with when rhyming is a key feature of your poetry - or something creative like KiO's "cunt flaps" above.
Since I have an appreciative audience ( :mrgreen: ), can you say the following five times very fast? It's quite infectious.

The Hussy's pussy Pussy.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:

(Hurriedly ducks away)
No, that's good!

Since I have an appreciative audience ( :mrgreen: ), can you say the following five times very fast? It's quite infectious.

The Hussy's pussy Pussy.
You should see the look my dog just gave me.

sacha

Post by sacha »

cushy, mushy, tushy?

sacha

Post by sacha »

cunt is a much better word.

cunt is strong and confident
pussy is weak and wallflower-like