Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Continuation of the post at Abbie Smith's ERV blog (http://scienceblogs.com/erv/)

when femsplainers and blacksplainers collide

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:00 pm  •  [Post 14886]

katamari Damassi wrote:That explains it. A minority woman made the complaint. McEwan has to accept it as valid or show that she doesn't play by her own rules.


Jesus fucking christ. Just looked at the expanded twitter convo.

Image

And there's a bit more after that.
https://twitter.com/anamardoll/status/3 ... 7582787584

So calling a professional woman good-looking is "lascivious" and "misogynistic," except that it's not lascivious if a black man is doing it, and you can't say that a woman "chided" someone, because head-asplodey. Fuck all of these morons.
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:02 pm  •  [Post 14887]

welch wrote:although to be fair, pointing out that Vacula has an attention whore streak is not exactly incorrect. Yes, we get it, they are not consistent with the enforcement of their policy. However, other than looking like "that guy", exactly what is your twitter thing accomplishing? It's not even funny.


Agreed. #notreallybraveorheroic
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby justinvacula » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:05 pm  •  [Post 14888]

My speech from the 2012 PA State Atheist/Humanist conference concerning church/state issues in the state of Pennsylvania has been uploaded:

I am introduced at the 4m36s mark:



More info, including text of an essay which inspired the speech, is here:

http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... onference/

Enjoy!
Blog
Facebook
Twitter

“Oh yes please tell me your BIG IMPORTANT WHITE ABLE NEUROTYPICAL CISMAN OPINIONS about these things.” - Kassiane
User avatar
justinvacula
.
.
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania

Re: #Skeptech

Postby Skep tickle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:05 pm  •  [Post 14889]

justinvacula wrote:Hop on the hashtag for the SkepTech conference - #skeptech on Twitter

...discussion about conference policies, feminism, Rebecca Watson whether atheist/skeptic community is hostile to women

...

Skeptech Harassment Policy includes:
Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including talks. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.


Perhaps tweeting w/ the #skeptech tag, from the conference, does not count as "any conference venue"? :think:

Perhaps insinuation, wink-wink-nudge-nudge, and mental imagery don't 'count' as 'sexual language and imagery'? :think:

Bunch of #skeptech tweets are referring to #SalaciousPosture (anyone know what that refers to?)

kittywhumpus ‏@kittywhumpus

I should probably go home now, because "pleasing grandma" sounded really dirty. #skeptech #SalaciousPosture

Miri M. ‏@sondosia

Watch out, #skeptech attendees, I don't want to offend you with my #SalaciousPosture.

PZ Myers ‏@pzmyers

Who would restrain the lust-crazed spectators? RT @sondosia @pzmyers time for a #SalaciousPosture-off? #skeptech

Robbie ‏@phyzit13 1h

#skeptech is so salaciously awesome that the only thing critics can complain about is a couple of paragraphs on the website


______

Also, Miri on Autism Spectrum Disorder and "physical symptoms/aggressive behavior" ... can I interpret this as saying "it's a guy thing"? (But maybe due to "roles", meaning culture, meaning...patriarchy...?? Rather than biological differences like, say, testosterone?)
Miri M. ‏@sondosia

Women tend to express ASD symptoms differently--less physical symptoms/aggressive behavior, more anxiety. Gender roles matter. #skeptech
"The Reader hereby agrees to accept all responsibility for any emotional turbulence that arises as a result of the perusal of this Text."
- Miri Mogilevsky
User avatar
Skep tickle
.
.
 
Posts: 3387
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am

Re: when femsplainers and blacksplainers collide

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:06 pm  •  [Post 14890]

Apples wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:That explains it. A minority woman made the complaint. McEwan has to accept it as valid or show that she doesn't play by her own rules.


Jesus fucking christ. Just looked at the expanded twitter convo.

Image

And there's a bit more after that.
https://twitter.com/anamardoll/status/3 ... 7582787584

So calling a professional woman good-looking is "lascivious" and "misogynistic," except that it's not lascivious if a black man is doing it, and you can't say that a woman "chided" someone, because head-asplodey. Fuck all of these morons.


Holy shit. The "Newspeak Rulebook" contains more contradictions than the bible.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

now I understand

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:15 pm  •  [Post 14891]

Image
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby justinvacula » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:18 pm  •  [Post 14892]

welch wrote: However, other than looking like "that guy", exactly what is your twitter thing accomplishing? It's not even funny.


I like to openly ridicule these conference policies, express skepticism concerning them, and put arguments forth against the nonsense that is going on in the atheist/skeptic communities and at conferences. Interacting with the conference hashtag and attendees is a great opportunity for that. I find this mode of skepticism to be effective and worth my time. The hypocrisy, too, is just glorious. It's not all about being funny, but some laughs may come in the process. Engagement with the #ftbullies, as you knwo, often yields some unintentional glorious results. Either way, I love the debate.
Blog
Facebook
Twitter

“Oh yes please tell me your BIG IMPORTANT WHITE ABLE NEUROTYPICAL CISMAN OPINIONS about these things.” - Kassiane
User avatar
justinvacula
.
.
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania

Re: now I understand

Postby katamari Damassi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:22 pm  •  [Post 14893]

Apples wrote:Image


:popcorn:
“I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.”
― Stanisław Lem
User avatar
katamari Damassi
.
.
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Dilurk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:24 pm  •  [Post 14894]

justinvacula wrote:
welch wrote: However, other than looking like "that guy", exactly what is your twitter thing accomplishing? It's not even funny.


I like to openly ridicule these conference policies, express skepticism concerning them, and put arguments forth against the nonsense that is going on in the atheist/skeptic communities and at conferences. Interacting with the conference hashtag and attendees is a great opportunity for that. I find this mode of skepticism to be effective and worth my time. The hypocrisy, too, is just glorious. It's not all about being funny, but some laughs may come in the process. Engagement with the #ftbullies, as you knwo, often yields some unintentional glorious results. Either way, I love the debate.


Image
User avatar
Dilurk
.
.
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby katamari Damassi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 pm  •  [Post 14895]

justinvacula wrote:
welch wrote: However, other than looking like "that guy", exactly what is your twitter thing accomplishing? It's not even funny.


I like to openly ridicule these conference policies, express skepticism concerning them, and put arguments forth against the nonsense that is going on in the atheist/skeptic communities and at conferences. Interacting with the conference hashtag and attendees is a great opportunity for that. I find this mode of skepticism to be effective and worth my time. The hypocrisy, too, is just glorious. It's not all about being funny, but some laughs may come in the process. Engagement with the #ftbullies, as you knwo, often yields some unintentional glorious results. Either way, I love the debate.

the FTBullies are ridiculous, but I don't have a problem with conferences having policies as long as they're not draconian. I couldn't imagine a policy written by Zvan even being implementable. Had Adria Richards followed Pycon's policy, 2 people would likely still have their jobs.
“I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.”
― Stanisław Lem
User avatar
katamari Damassi
.
.
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Re: #Skeptech

Postby BarnOwl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 pm  •  [Post 14896]

Skep tickle wrote:
Perhaps tweeting w/ the #skeptech tag, from the conference, does not count as "any conference venue"? :think:

Perhaps insinuation, wink-wink-nudge-nudge, and mental imagery don't 'count' as 'sexual language and imagery'? :think:

Bunch of #skeptech tweets are referring to #SalaciousPosture (anyone know what that refers to?)

kittywhumpus ‏@kittywhumpus

I should probably go home now, because "pleasing grandma" sounded really dirty. #skeptech #SalaciousPosture

Miri M. ‏@sondosia

Watch out, #skeptech attendees, I don't want to offend you with my #SalaciousPosture.

PZ Myers ‏@pzmyers

Who would restrain the lust-crazed spectators? RT @sondosia @pzmyers time for a #SalaciousPosture-off? #skeptech

Robbie ‏@phyzit13 1h

#skeptech is so salaciously awesome that the only thing critics can complain about is a couple of paragraphs on the website


They certainly love their shibboleths. Their conferences sound like mutual masturbation and back-patting sessions: same people, same in-jokes and weird rules, free to express their hypocrisies and bigotry.
User avatar
BarnOwl
.
.
 
Posts: 2296
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: The wrong trouser of Time

Re: when femsplainers and blacksplainers collide

Postby Metalogic42 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:43 pm  •  [Post 14897]

Apples wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:That explains it. A minority woman made the complaint. McEwan has to accept it as valid or show that she doesn't play by her own rules.


Jesus fucking christ. Just looked at the expanded twitter convo.

Image

And there's a bit more after that.
https://twitter.com/anamardoll/status/3 ... 7582787584

So calling a professional woman good-looking is "lascivious" and "misogynistic," except that it's not lascivious if a black man is doing it, and you can't say that a woman "chided" someone, because head-asplodey. Fuck all of these morons.


This "lived experience" thing is getting so far out of hand it's ridiculous. It's gone from William Lane Craig's "witness of the holy spirit" to some batshit loon screaming "I FEEL the POWAH of the LAWD!!!" while waving snakes around and pretending to have a seizure.
Skepticism is more important than Atheism. Atheism protects you from false gods, but skepticism inoculates you against all forms of bullshit. http://skeptischism.com/skepticismfirst/
User avatar
Metalogic42
.
.
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby katamari Damassi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:46 pm  •  [Post 14898]

Apparently Ana Mardoll's "lived experience" trumps objective reality. What a narcissist.
“I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.”
― Stanisław Lem
User avatar
katamari Damassi
.
.
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby BarnOwl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:55 pm  •  [Post 14899]

Is there this much butthurt and flouncing over "gendered" words for radfem speakers of languages that have nouns with gender?

Or is this one of the great joys of the Anglophone world? "My native language doesn't have gendered nouns, so I'm going to randomly assign gender to verbs and nouns in order to maximize outrage."
User avatar
BarnOwl
.
.
 
Posts: 2296
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: The wrong trouser of Time

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Metalogic42 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 pm  •  [Post 14900]

https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/3 ... 3442567170

Seriously, what the fuck? Do these people spend ALL their time carefully examining every word? What horribly pedantic lives they must lead...
Skepticism is more important than Atheism. Atheism protects you from false gods, but skepticism inoculates you against all forms of bullshit. http://skeptischism.com/skepticismfirst/
User avatar
Metalogic42
.
.
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby katamari Damassi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm  •  [Post 14901]

Metalogic42 wrote:https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/320196663442567170

Seriously, what the fuck? Do these people spend ALL their time carefully examining every word? What horribly pedantic lives they must lead...

Well I don't think we have to worry about those people taking over. They're way too busy with their hobby.
“I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.”
― Stanisław Lem
User avatar
katamari Damassi
.
.
 
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Skep tickle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm  •  [Post 14902]

Metalogic42 wrote:https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/320196663442567170

Seriously, what the fuck? Do these people spend ALL their time carefully examining every word? What horribly pedantic lives they must lead...


OMG. "Blind spot" comes from the focal lack of vision at the spot where the optic nerve meets the retina. "Tone deaf" comes from music, "relatively insensitive to differences in musical pitch". Just because the phrases contain the words "blind" and "deaf" doesn't make them ableist, IMO.

This kind of obsessive anxiety about a word possibly offending stunts and cripples the use of language.
"The Reader hereby agrees to accept all responsibility for any emotional turbulence that arises as a result of the perusal of this Text."
- Miri Mogilevsky
User avatar
Skep tickle
.
.
 
Posts: 3387
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Pitchguest » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:13 pm  •  [Post 14903]

Metalogic42 wrote:https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/320196663442567170

Seriously, what the fuck? Do these people spend ALL their time carefully examining every word? What horribly pedantic lives they must lead...


AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhh I can't decide if I should laugh or cry, hahahahahaha oh shit! :lol: :cry:
User avatar
Pitchguest
.
.
 
Posts: 2770
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Metalogic42 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 pm  •  [Post 14904]

Skep tickle wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/320196663442567170

Seriously, what the fuck? Do these people spend ALL their time carefully examining every word? What horribly pedantic lives they must lead...


OMG. "Blind spot" comes from the focal lack of vision at the spot where the optic nerve meets the retina. "Tone deaf" comes from music, "relatively insensitive to differences in musical pitch". Just because the phrases contain the words "blind" and "deaf" doesn't make them ableist, IMO.

This kind of obsessive anxiety about a word possibly offending stunts and cripples the use of language.


ABLEIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skepticism is more important than Atheism. Atheism protects you from false gods, but skepticism inoculates you against all forms of bullshit. http://skeptischism.com/skepticismfirst/
User avatar
Metalogic42
.
.
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 pm  •  [Post 14905]

Skep tickle wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/320196663442567170

Seriously, what the fuck? Do these people spend ALL their time carefully examining every word? What horribly pedantic lives they must lead...


OMG. "Blind spot" comes from the focal lack of vision at the spot where the optic nerve meets the retina. "Tone deaf" comes from music, "relatively insensitive to differences in musical pitch". Just because the phrases contain the words "blind" and "deaf" doesn't make them ableist, IMO.

This kind of obsessive anxiety about a word possibly offending stunts and cripples the use of language.


I prefer, "renders the use of language differently-abled."
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 pm  •  [Post 14906]

Ninja'd!
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Metalogic42 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:22 pm  •  [Post 14907]

Apples wrote:Ninja'd!


Stop appropriating asian culture!!!!!

(jeez, this is starting to hurt my brain already)
Skepticism is more important than Atheism. Atheism protects you from false gods, but skepticism inoculates you against all forms of bullshit. http://skeptischism.com/skepticismfirst/
User avatar
Metalogic42
.
.
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Altair » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:31 pm  •  [Post 14908]

katamari Damassi wrote:Apparently Ana Mardoll's "lived experience" trumps objective reality. What a narcissist.


I used to read her blog a while ago. She writes deconstructions and analysis of books, which I found very interesting. She wrote a lot about Twilight and the Chronicles of Narnia, and I enjoyed reading her ideas, but over time it became clear that she sees everything through the feminism lens, and that gets really old after a while.

I just checked her blog and had to scroll by 4 posts about feminism (including one about Landsburg and one about Dawkins) to find a post about a Twilight chapter. It seems the focus of her blog has shifted.
User avatar
Altair
.
.
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Altair » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:39 pm  •  [Post 14909]

BarnOwl wrote:Is there this much butthurt and flouncing over "gendered" words for radfem speakers of languages that have nouns with gender?

Or is this one of the great joys of the Anglophone world? "My native language doesn't have gendered nouns, so I'm going to randomly assign gender to verbs and nouns in order to maximize outrage."


Spanish has gendered nouns, and I've never seen any SJW or radfem using that particular line of thought. We do have our own problems with gender ideologies, but gendered words are not among them.

There was a certain attempt recently to use both words when referring to people, things like "medicos and medicas" (male doctors and female doctors) or "niños y niñas" (boys and girls), but it didn't gain much traction.

The only thing they got was people to start sharing a Facebook status that explains that in Spanish the male-gendered noun covers both genders, so the double word use was unnecessary. It had a disclaimer saying it didn't mean any disrespect towards women, just the way the language works. That post got both men AND women to say "heh, cool, thanks for posting that, it's good to learn stuff" and that was the end of it.

Maybe being used to a gendered language make people less likely to worry about which gender a word has? After all, both genders get their share of good and bad words (both war and peace are female nouns, while cancer and love are both male nouns).
User avatar
Altair
.
.
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Jan Steen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:39 pm  •  [Post 14910]

For a change, Ophelia Benson comes across as a perfectly reasonable individual.

Still arguing about Amina and the protests and white-imperialist-Orientalist feminism. On Twitter for one.

this is where an intersectional approach is so vital. Attempting to impose white western “feminism” w/o listening to the very ppl they’re trying to “liberate” = doomed & counterproductive enterprise.


Sigh. “White western feminism” as opposed to the brown eastern kind which is just fine with arresting and whipping or stoning a woman who takes a picture of herself with her shirt off.

Don’t do that. Don’t pretend there’s “white western” feminism or human rights or liberalism as opposed to brown eastern ones. Human rights are universal; that is the whole point. The whole point is to make them exceptionless, because if we don’t we’re right back where we started – with “we have to kill all the Jews/Tutsis/Bosnian Muslims/gays/apostates/Hindus/whatever it is this weeks.”


Indeed, human rights are universal. Isn’t it paradoxical that the SJ warriors are often among the first to forget this? They often get so hopelessly lost in the intricacies of their privilege calculus that they end up defending oppressors rather than the oppressed.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterfliesandwheels/2013/04/attempting-to-impose-white-western-feminism/
Fighting hypocrisy since Sun Oct 14, 2012.
User avatar
Jan Steen
.
.
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Dick Strawkins » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:55 pm  •  [Post 14911]

Image

Don't worry PZ.
I'm here to help you wage war on the criminals that promote tentacle rape porn.
Anyone who would do such a thing is clearly a despicable misogynist who shouldnt be allowed near women - for safety reasons.

Wait!

I think I see one now!

Image

A celebration of biodiversity eh?

What's that you say PZ?
The link is borked and doesn't work anymore?
We will never be able to see what exactly you deem a celebration of biodiversity, its such a pity, such a sh...

But wait!

Do not fret!

The wayback machine has the page saved in its entirety!

(You're looking a little pale there PZ, as if the blood has suddenly drained out of your body...why is that?)

Let's peruse this glorious "celebration of biodiversity" to see what we find, shall we?


(Watch out - VERY NSFW!)

http://web.archive.org/web/20070716070824/http://sexe-aka.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html

Peezus Christ!

It's the October 15th post 'Tentacles of Desir' in case you are interested.

Perhaps, PZ, you might like to explain exactly what is happening in picture 2 -

You know, the one that is titled..."hentai tentacle rape"

It's unpixelated on the original site.

Image

Yes, that one has certainly got "tentacles everywhere"

It's the sort of picture that got one of our members promptly banned from the slymepit.

You know, I don't really care that tentacle rape porn is PZs 'thing'.
I presume that the models photographed in the rest of the pictures on that site are consenting adults.

It's the fucking hypocrisy that I can't stand.
The post shown is from his scienceblogs Pharyngula from before his PC feminist approved phase.

He hasn't apologized for his words in this post and I hardly think that it is in keeping with his current image (praising as a "celebration of biodiversity", a cartoon of a very young girl getting raped is not exactly in keeping with 'lifelong feminist' credentials)

Does he seriously think we are not able to remember when he wasn't wearing the mask of feminist piety?

Sorry PZ, the mask slipped again.
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 5029
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Percentage » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:57 pm  •  [Post 14912]

Ok, wow. I seriously need to follow McEwan more, for the lulz. Here's Obama's "misogynist" quote:

You have to be careful to, first of all, say she is brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you'd want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake. She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general in the country. It's true! C'mon.


Those cunts really are a step up even from the other femtheists.
Percentage
.
.
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:01 pm  •  [Post 14913]

Dick Strawkins wrote:Does he seriously think we are not able to remember when he wasn't wearing the mask of feminist piety?

Sorry PZ, the mask slipped again.


dang....
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Metalogic42 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:02 pm  •  [Post 14914]

Ok, now I'm just confused: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 370#p76528

I don't get how this is ableist, even from a SJW point of view. Can someone explain?
Skepticism is more important than Atheism. Atheism protects you from false gods, but skepticism inoculates you against all forms of bullshit. http://skeptischism.com/skepticismfirst/
User avatar
Metalogic42
.
.
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Tigzy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:03 pm  •  [Post 14915]

Fuckin hell Strawkins - good find there. Course, Peez would probably argue that the post was from a long time ago, before he was 'properly' feminist.

Even though he's been a feminist since he was 15. Apparently.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby welch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 pm  •  [Post 14916]

justinvacula wrote:
welch wrote: However, other than looking like "that guy", exactly what is your twitter thing accomplishing? It's not even funny.


I like to openly ridicule these conference policies, express skepticism concerning them, and put arguments forth against the nonsense that is going on in the atheist/skeptic communities and at conferences. Interacting with the conference hashtag and attendees is a great opportunity for that. I find this mode of skepticism to be effective and worth my time. The hypocrisy, too, is just glorious. It's not all about being funny, but some laughs may come in the process. Engagement with the #ftbullies, as you knwo, often yields some unintentional glorious results. Either way, I love the debate.


What "debate"? To be blunt, you seem to have no ability to know when to stop. The first few points about how they were ignoring their own policy were decent, hell, PZ was pissed off enough. But now? Really? You just can't seem to stop, and it really does look like you want attention more than anything.
If you're going to ignore me, then actually do it. But that does require some work. So you probably won't do it right. Also, if the worst thing that happens in my day is you not talking to me anymore? Fuck yeah!
User avatar
welch
.
.
 
Posts: 8340
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Dick Strawkins » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:07 pm  •  [Post 14917]

Tigzy wrote:Fuckin hell Strawkins - good find there. Course, Peez would probably argue that the post was from a long time ago, before he was 'properly' feminist.

Even though he's been a feminist since he was 15. Apparently.


It's a bit like when the Catholic Church tries to convince everyone that nobody knew that raping altar boys was wrong twenty years ago.

In the same way, before Elevatorgate feminists had no problem with cartoons of young girls getting raped!

It's only recently that they've realized this is bad!
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 5029
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:09 pm  •  [Post 14918]

Metalogic42 wrote:Ok, now I'm just confused: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 370#p76528

I don't get how this is ableist, even from a SJW point of view. Can someone explain?


Tardar/retard
Munchkin/dwarf
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Jan Steen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 pm  •  [Post 14919]

PZ used to be a sinner but he has since seen the Light.
Fighting hypocrisy since Sun Oct 14, 2012.
User avatar
Jan Steen
.
.
 
Posts: 2005
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Dick Strawkins » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:15 pm  •  [Post 14920]

Apples wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:Ok, now I'm just confused: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 370#p76528

I don't get how this is ableist, even from a SJW point of view. Can someone explain?


Tardar/retard
Munchkin/dwarf


Re: -ist Internet Memes

Postby LeftSidePositive » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:31 am
Overly attached girlfriend. Shaming girls for expressing their feelings and commitment in relationships since 2012.


WTF!
She's meant to be portraying a crazed stalker!
How come I get the feeling that Leftsidepositive would make overly attached girlfriend seem sane, meek and demure by comparison.
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 5029
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Pitchguest » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:19 pm  •  [Post 14921]

Tigzy wrote:Fuckin hell Strawkins - good find there. Course, Peez would probably argue that the post was from a long time ago, before he was 'properly' feminist.

Even though he's been a feminist since he was 15. Apparently.


Haha, I was gonna say! Since he was 15. Hahaha!
User avatar
Pitchguest
.
.
 
Posts: 2770
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Metalogic42 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:24 pm  •  [Post 14922]

Apples wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:Ok, now I'm just confused: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 370#p76528

I don't get how this is ableist, even from a SJW point of view. Can someone explain?


Tardar/retard
Munchkin/dwarf


*facepalm*

I hope they never find out about H.P. Lovecraft's cat.
Skepticism is more important than Atheism. Atheism protects you from false gods, but skepticism inoculates you against all forms of bullshit. http://skeptischism.com/skepticismfirst/
User avatar
Metalogic42
.
.
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby windy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:28 pm  •  [Post 14923]

acathode wrote:Checking in on the Carrier A+ vid, I just can't help feeling some petty satisfaction that it now have 1000+ thumbs down and a 63% red lightsaber. I know it's a pointless stat, but considering his article begging for upvotes... there's this Swedish proverb, "The only true joy is schadenfreude" .


I took his advice and went to watch the video, I'm still pissed off. "see if you can find anything in it that honestly deserves a downvote"?? I started making a list but there were too many. Atheists should be working to improve their image, like Coca-Cola? Coca-Cola is a corporation, you dipshit! (but if we go with that analogy, can we say that Atheism Plus is like New Coke?)

It's funny that when he says "the wider community" it sounds like "the whiter community"
Karhu karvat kapsahutti, hukka huulet hupsahutti, kettu kielen kepsahutti. Se oli vitun synty. (The origin of cunt)
User avatar
windy
.
.
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:41 am

PZ's love/hate relationship with tentacle porn

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm  •  [Post 14924]

Nice one Strawkins.
Remind me to never piss you off.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby AndrewV69 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm  •  [Post 14925]

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Apples wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:Ok, now I'm just confused: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 370#p76528

I don't get how this is ableist, even from a SJW point of view. Can someone explain?


Tardar/retard
Munchkin/dwarf


Re: -ist Internet Memes

Postby LeftSidePositive » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:31 am
Overly attached girlfriend. Shaming girls for expressing their feelings and commitment in relationships since 2012.


WTF!
She's meant to be portraying a crazed stalker!
How come I get the feeling that Leftsidepositive would make overly attached girlfriend seem sane, meek and demure by comparison.


Any "debate" with LeftSidePositive goes like this:


Problem?
Disce aut discede
http://noseenohearnospeak.blogspot.ca/

Ick. AndrewV69, proud slimepitter and MRA, with in.malafide in his email address? No. Just no. Fuck off.
- PZ Myers 26 July 2012 at 3:17 pm
User avatar
AndrewV69
.
.
 
Posts: 4588
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:38 pm  •  [Post 14926]

Metalogic42 wrote:Ok, now I'm just confused: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 370#p76528

I don't get how this is ableist, even from a SJW point of view. Can someone explain?

Sorry mate. I can't help you there.
I do know that if somebody has the energy and desire to be pissed off by "grumpy cat" then life must be pretty fucking sweet. Privileged even.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Dick Strawkins » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:41 pm  •  [Post 14927]

Dick Strawkins wrote:Image

Don't worry PZ.
I'm here to help you wage war on the criminals that promote tentacle rape porn.
Anyone who would do such a thing is clearly a despicable misogynist who shouldnt be allowed near women - for safety reasons.

Wait!

I think I see one now!

Image

A celebration of biodiversity eh?

What's that you say PZ?
The link is borked and doesn't work anymore?
We will never be able to see what exactly you deem a celebration of biodiversity, its such a pity, such a sh...

But wait!

Do not fret!

The wayback machine has the page saved in its entirety!

(You're looking a little pale there PZ, as if the blood has suddenly drained out of your body...why is that?)

Let's peruse this glorious "celebration of biodiversity" to see what we find, shall we?


(Watch out - VERY NSFW!)

http://web.archive.org/web/20070716070824/http://sexe-aka.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html

Peezus Christ!

It's the October 15th post 'Tentacles of Desir' in case you are interested.

Perhaps, PZ, you might like to explain exactly what is happening in picture 2 -

You know, the one that is titled..."hentai tentacle rape"

It's unpixelated on the original site.

Image

Yes, that one has certainly got "tentacles everywhere"

It's the sort of picture that got one of our members promptly banned from the slymepit.

You know, I don't really care that tentacle rape porn is PZs 'thing'.
I presume that the models photographed in the rest of the pictures on that site are consenting adults.

It's the fucking hypocrisy that I can't stand.
The post shown is from his scienceblogs Pharyngula from before his PC feminist approved phase.

He hasn't apologized for his words in this post and I hardly think that it is in keeping with his current image (praising as a "celebration of biodiversity", a cartoon of a very young girl getting raped is not exactly in keeping with 'lifelong feminist' credentials)

Does he seriously think we are not able to remember when he wasn't wearing the mask of feminist piety?

Sorry PZ, the mask slipped again.



Ha!
I just realized the hair color of the hentai rape girl!

This explains everything!
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 5029
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Tigzy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:42 pm  •  [Post 14928]

Oh Yes. Strong the butthurt is in this one (from Diddy Dickie's facebook page):

Image

Image

Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:43 pm  •  [Post 14929]

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Image

Don't worry PZ.
I'm here to help you wage war on the criminals that promote tentacle rape porn.
Anyone who would do such a thing is clearly a despicable misogynist who shouldnt be allowed near women - for safety reasons.

Wait!

I think I see one now!

Image

A celebration of biodiversity eh?

What's that you say PZ?
The link is borked and doesn't work anymore?
We will never be able to see what exactly you deem a celebration of biodiversity, its such a pity, such a sh...

But wait!

Do not fret!

The wayback machine has the page saved in its entirety!

(You're looking a little pale there PZ, as if the blood has suddenly drained out of your body...why is that?)

Let's peruse this glorious "celebration of biodiversity" to see what we find, shall we?


(Watch out - VERY NSFW!)

http://web.archive.org/web/20070716070824/http://sexe-aka.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html

Peezus Christ!

It's the October 15th post 'Tentacles of Desir' in case you are interested.

Perhaps, PZ, you might like to explain exactly what is happening in picture 2 -

You know, the one that is titled..."hentai tentacle rape"

It's unpixelated on the original site.

Image

Yes, that one has certainly got "tentacles everywhere"

It's the sort of picture that got one of our members promptly banned from the slymepit.

You know, I don't really care that tentacle rape porn is PZs 'thing'.
I presume that the models photographed in the rest of the pictures on that site are consenting adults.

It's the fucking hypocrisy that I can't stand.
The post shown is from his scienceblogs Pharyngula from before his PC feminist approved phase.

He hasn't apologized for his words in this post and I hardly think that it is in keeping with his current image (praising as a "celebration of biodiversity", a cartoon of a very young girl getting raped is not exactly in keeping with 'lifelong feminist' credentials)

Does he seriously think we are not able to remember when he wasn't wearing the mask of feminist piety?

Sorry PZ, the mask slipped again.



Ha!
I just realized the hair color of the hentai rape girl!

This explains everything!


UGH! And to think I was fapping over that not two minutes ago.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: PZ's love/hate relationship with tentacle porn

Postby Skep tickle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:44 pm  •  [Post 14930]

Tony Parsehole wrote:Nice one Strawkins.
Remind me to never piss you off.


Hoist on the petard of his own blog posting history. Life's a bitch, eh?
"The Reader hereby agrees to accept all responsibility for any emotional turbulence that arises as a result of the perusal of this Text."
- Miri Mogilevsky
User avatar
Skep tickle
.
.
 
Posts: 3387
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Steersman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:45 pm  •  [Post 14931]

Dick Strawkins wrote:<snip>

It's unpixelated on the original site.

Image

Yes, that one has certainly got "tentacles everywhere"

It's the sort of picture that got one of our members promptly banned from the slymepit.

You know, I don't really care that tentacle rape porn is PZs 'thing'.
I presume that the models photographed in the rest of the pictures on that site are consenting adults.

<snip>

Does he seriously think we are not able to remember when he wasn't wearing the mask of feminist piety?

Sorry PZ, the mask slipped again.

Any relevance, you think, to the blue hair? ....
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4212
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:47 pm  •  [Post 14932]

Carrier-Bag would have to go a looooooong fucking way to be more pathetic that he's being right now. He is practically begging for upvotes on a 40 minute long video. He'll be offering blowjobs next.
Carrier...... YOU ARE FLOGGING A DEAD HORSE. Pack it in.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Steersman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:47 pm  •  [Post 14933]

Steersman wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:<snip>
Sorry PZ, the mask slipped again.

Any relevance, you think, to the blue hair? ....


"Coises; foiled again!" Ninja'd by 4 minutes! :-)
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4212
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: PZ's love/hate relationship with tentacle porn

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:48 pm  •  [Post 14934]

Skep tickle wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Nice one Strawkins.
Remind me to never piss you off.


Hoist on the petard of his own blog posting history. Life's a bitch, eh?


Indeed. There's been a lot of nourishing Schadenfreude today and I think Strawkins find has been the tastiest of all. *omnomnom*
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:50 pm  •  [Post 14935]

Tigzy wrote:Oh Yes. Strong the butthurt is in this one (from Diddy Dickie's facebook page):


What an unbelievable twat. "It's absurd this video is getting downvoted at all!" :lol: Can he really, really be that narcissistic and clueless? Yes, he can, and he is.
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:52 pm  •  [Post 14936]

Apples wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Oh Yes. Strong the butthurt is in this one (from Diddy Dickie's facebook page):


"It's absurd this video is getting downvoted at all!"

Try and imagine Hitchens saying that.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

moderation in all things

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:58 pm  •  [Post 14937]

Meanwhile, over at the Great Atheoskeptic Debate of 2013:

User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Tigzy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:58 pm  •  [Post 14938]

Strangely, the clueless motherfucker hasn't managed to bring his intellectual artillery to bear on the idea that begging for YT upvotes is a sure way to bring out the troll in people.

Unless Carrier's got such a hard-on for himself that he honestly believed the trolls would be swayed by the profundity and vigor of his wonderful arguments.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Skep tickle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:01 pm  •  [Post 14939]

Percentage wrote:Ok, wow. I seriously need to follow McEwan more, for the lulz. Here's Obama's "misogynist" quote:

You have to be careful to, first of all, say she is brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you'd want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake. She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general in the country. It's true! C'mon.


Those cunts really are a step up even from the other femtheists.

Obama was apparently trying to be good, in praising Harris in ways relevant to her performance as an attorney general, but IMO he was indeed tone deaf, in commenting on her looks and also in that awkwardly self-aware opening "you have to be careful to, first of all, say she is...". Looks aren't a criterion for the job, "best looking" is in the eye of the beholder, and - most of all - looks are a basis on which men only rarely get (explicitly, publicly) judged compared with how often it happens for women.

On the other hand, they're friends, and that may give him a comfort in commenting on personal characteristics and/or joshing with her that slipped out in what he said publicly about her and came across wrong. I find it hard to imagine him commenting on the looks of a woman with whom he had a purely professional relationship.
"The Reader hereby agrees to accept all responsibility for any emotional turbulence that arises as a result of the perusal of this Text."
- Miri Mogilevsky
User avatar
Skep tickle
.
.
 
Posts: 3387
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:01 pm  •  [Post 14940]

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Apples wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Oh Yes. Strong the butthurt is in this one (from Diddy Dickie's facebook page):


"It's absurd this video is getting downvoted at all!"

Try and imagine Hitchens saying that.


Makes me wonder whether he has ever actually read the A+ forums. Take everyone who has been banned there for ridiculous reasons plus the lurkers who witnessed it and you've got 900 downvotes right there.
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Southern » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:03 pm  •  [Post 14941]

BarnOwl wrote:Image

Does it? I've never been to Japan, so I wouldn't know. I've been friends/collaborators with a number of Japanese scientists, and I follow some aspects of Japanese culture (cooking, crafts, manga), but that's just dabbling. I don't think they make women wear burqas or stone them to death for talking to men who aren't relatives or spouses. "Criminally" implies "deserving of punishment," and I would want to experience the culture for myself before making such a sweeping judgment. But that's just me. ::shrugs::

Imagine replacing "Japan" in that tweet with another country ... say a Middle Eastern, Islamic country. Oh, the outrage! Islamophobia!


Look who's talking about tentacle rape: the fat octopus imbecile. Isn't that great?
I'm posting this statement feeling confident that nothing will go wrong.
User avatar
Southern
.
.
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 pm
Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Apples » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:04 pm  •  [Post 14942]

Skep Tickle wrote:On the other hand, they're friends, and that may give him a comfort in commenting on personal characteristics and/or joshing with her that slipped out in what he said publicly about her and came across wrong. I find it hard to imagine him commenting on the looks of a woman with whom he had a purely professional relationship.


Heh - you said "tone deaf." But I agree. It was a strange thing for him to say - wonder what Michelle had to say about it.
User avatar
Apples
.
.
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Southern » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:06 pm  •  [Post 14943]

16bitheretic wrote:Androgynous is a vert apt descriptor of some elements of Japan's pop-culture such as J-rock (also Korean-pop boy bands for that matter). For example, this is actually a guy:
Image


Like Joel said once:

"Mr. B, you look hot!"
I'm posting this statement feeling confident that nothing will go wrong.
User avatar
Southern
.
.
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 pm
Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Dick Strawkins » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:06 pm  •  [Post 14944]

Skep tickle wrote:
Percentage wrote:Ok, wow. I seriously need to follow McEwan more, for the lulz. Here's Obama's "misogynist" quote:

You have to be careful to, first of all, say she is brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you'd want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake. She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general in the country. It's true! C'mon.


Those cunts really are a step up even from the other femtheists.

Obama was apparently trying to be good, in praising Harris in ways relevant to her performance as an attorney general, but IMO he was indeed tone deaf, in commenting on her looks and also in that awkwardly self-aware opening "you have to be careful to, first of all, say she is...". Looks aren't a criterion for the job, "best looking" is in the eye of the beholder, and - most of all - looks are a basis on which men only rarely get (explicitly, publicly) judged compared with how often it happens for women.

On the other hand, they're friends, and that may give him a comfort in commenting on personal characteristics and/or joshing with her that slipped out in what he said publicly about her and came across wrong. I find it hard to imagine him commenting on the looks of a woman with whom he had a purely professional relationship.


It was politically silly.
It was bound to get picked up, and like you said, it is hard to imagine him saying the same to someone he had just a professional relationship with, although I can imagine him saying the same thing to a male friend in a jokey kind of way.
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 5029
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Dilurk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:11 pm  •  [Post 14945]

Tigzy wrote:Oh Yes. Strong the butthurt is in this one (from Diddy Dickie's facebook page):

http://i.imgur.com/Pwk00WA.png

http://i.imgur.com/mHlnlA2.png

http://i.imgur.com/lOr85sP.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Personally, I would suggest that any supposedly educated man who says 'walla'' instead of 'voila' should be down voted.
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005052.html
(He says it just as the video starts.)
User avatar
Dilurk
.
.
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby welch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:12 pm  •  [Post 14946]

Metalogic42 wrote:Ok, now I'm just confused: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 370#p76528

I don't get how this is ableist, even from a SJW point of view. Can someone explain?



They're idiots.
If you're going to ignore me, then actually do it. But that does require some work. So you probably won't do it right. Also, if the worst thing that happens in my day is you not talking to me anymore? Fuck yeah!
User avatar
welch
.
.
 
Posts: 8340
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Steersman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:20 pm  •  [Post 14947]

Skep tickle wrote:
Percentage wrote:Ok, wow. I seriously need to follow McEwan more, for the lulz. Here's Obama's "misogynist" quote:

You have to be careful to, first of all, say she is brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you'd want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake. She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general in the country. It's true! C'mon.


Those cunts really are a step up even from the other femtheists.

Obama was apparently trying to be good, in praising Harris in ways relevant to her performance as an attorney general, but IMO he was indeed tone deaf, in commenting on her looks and also in that awkwardly self-aware opening "you have to be careful to, first of all, say she is...". Looks aren't a criterion for the job, "best looking" is in the eye of the beholder, and - most of all - looks are a basis on which men only rarely get (explicitly, publicly) judged compared with how often it happens for women.

On the other hand, they're friends, and that may give him a comfort in commenting on personal characteristics and/or joshing with her that slipped out in what he said publicly about her and came across wrong. I find it hard to imagine him commenting on the looks of a woman with whom he had a purely professional relationship.

Yes, I tend to agree; would have been more than a little odd if he’d said the same about some male official. Definitely, IMO, sexist, but the comment has certainly brought out some amusing and “telling” responses, starting with McEwan’s:

You have to be careful to first say a woman is competent before you can wax lascivious* sexist about how smoking hot she is.


The strike-out, as you mentioned, being predicated by this from “Imani ABL”:

.@Shakestweetz it's overboard. And you might consider not using terms like "lascivious" when referencing a black guy.


WTF? “Black guys” can’t be lascivious? Christ in a sidecar, what a fucking racist.

Seems everybody – present company excepted, of course – views events through their own coloured (if that’s not racist in SJW-speak) glasses.
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4212
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby ConcentratedH2O, OM » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:20 pm  •  [Post 14948]

Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Oh Yes. Strong the butthurt is in this one (from Diddy Dickie's facebook page):

http://i.imgur.com/Pwk00WA.png

http://i.imgur.com/mHlnlA2.png

http://i.imgur.com/lOr85sP.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Personally, I would suggest that any supposedly educated man who says 'walla'' instead of 'voila' should be down voted.
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005052.html
(He says it just as the video starts.)


I love you D, but it's obviously just the audio snapping in, beginning on the 'w' sound of 'voi".

Sorry, but I'm waiting for Meyers to be fucked into the ground on this tentacle porn thing, and just want to make sure our house keeps itself spick and span.
"Tone trolling? Really? You find the particular arrangement of four letters in a word more detrimental to discourse than sneering assholes showing up to argue with women about their right to autonomy?"
--PZ Meyers, internet cunt.
User avatar
ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby Tfoot » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:20 pm  •  [Post 14949]

Tigzy wrote:Oh Yes. Strong the butthurt is in this one (from Diddy Dickie's facebook page):

Image

Image

Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Further Rich Carrier (Dick-Carrier? SkepDick?) ADVOCATES downvoting things as a social punishment in his very video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au2i3xxgv7U&t=33m22s

Irony really doesnt come any harder than this!

'when we do it, we are socially punishing people. But when people downvote us, its haters and harassment.'
User avatar
Tfoot
 

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Postby d4m10n » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:20 pm  •  [Post 14950]

Tigzy wrote:Oh Yes. Strong the butthurt is in this one (from Diddy Dickie's facebook page):

Image

Image

Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Asked Richard Carrier to take the A+Dillahunty challenge. He politely declined, citing the usual time constraints.
"Exemplum de simia, quae, quando plus ascendit, plus apparent posteriora eius." - Bonaventure

Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus
User avatar
d4m10n
.
.
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 am
Location: OKC

PreviousNext

Return to Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: comhcinc, Opyt and 13 guests